Author: Salixes

Read-only
Total: 140
Athias
Debates: 20
Athias
-->
@drafterman
Okay, well I am a heterosexual that has engaged in coitus and I can say that I have done so without pregnancy being my plan, goal, or design.
Once again, your "state of mind" is not being scrutinized; if you're a heterosexual who engaged in coitus which resulted in insemination, then you engaged an act intended for pregnancy. Your "wanting" pregnancy is a moot point.

drafterman
Debates: 6
drafterman
-->
@Athias
Once again, your "state of mind" is not being scrutinized; if you're a heterosexual who engaged in coitus which resulted in insemination, then you engaged an act intended for pregnancy. Your "wanting" pregnancy is a moot point.
You defined "intended" as:

intended alludes to plans, goals, purposes, and design which is relevant and more pertinent to the context of our discussion
And when I asked whose plans, goals, purposes, and design we are talking about, you said:

Heterosexuals engage in coitus, so heterosexuals.
So, as a heterosexual engaging in coitus, I am telling you it was not (always) my plan, goal, purpose, or design to induce pregnancy, and therefore doesn't meet your own criteria for the act being "intended for pregnancy."

Athias
Athias
-->
@drafterman

Once again, your "state of mind" is not being scrutinized; if you're a heterosexual who engaged in coitus which resulted in insemination, then you engaged an act intended for pregnancy. Your "wanting" pregnancy is a moot point.
You defined "intended" as:

intended alludes to plans, goals, purposes, and design which is relevant and more pertinent to the context of our discussion
And when I asked whose plans, goals, purposes, and design we are talking about, you said:

Heterosexuals engage in coitus, so heterosexuals.
So, as a heterosexual engaging in coitus, I am telling you it was not (always) my plan, goal, purpose, or design to induce pregnancy, and therefore doesn't meet your own criteria for the act being "intended for pregnancy."
Once again, your "state of mind" is not being scrutinized; if you're a heterosexual who engaged in coitus which resulted in insemination, then you engaged an act intended for pregnancy. Your "wanting" pregnancy is a moot point.

drafterman
drafterman
-->
@Athias
Once again, your "state of mind" is not being scrutinized; if you're a heterosexual who engaged in coitus which resulted in insemination, then you engaged an act intended for pregnancy. Your "wanting" pregnancy is a moot point.
Once again, I am using your own words that you provided that you stated were relevant to this conversation.
Athias
Athias
-->
@drafterman
Once again, I am using your own words that you provided that you stated were relevant to this conversation.
You're not using my words--not really. You're using your own description of "intent," which you relayed earlier was a reference to one's state of mind. Even your conclusion that your being heterosexual engaging in coitus didn't always reflect your "intent" to impregnate speaks to your referencing your own state of mind. So while you make mention of my words, you are still using your description, which is irrelevant to my scrutiny.

drafterman
drafterman
-->
@Athias
Incorrect. I am using your words as provided in this post here:

Since you helpfully provided those words I have only used those words and made no reference to anyone's state of mind.

If you provided incorrect words, you are free to correct your mistake at any point in time. To wit:

What makes the act "intended for pregnancy?"
Vader
Debates: 30
Vader
-->
@Salixes
My friend, you are extremely wrong in what you are saying. Christianity does not call upon hate to ANY person, even a sinner. We are told to love everyone, even the sinner. We do not hate their action, but we deem them as sinful themselves. 

Leaders like the Pope and various others use corruption and propaganda to build their beliefs into a hateful society. We hate the SIN itself, not the person. We believe sin shall perish, not the human. There have many LGBTQ+ people who have been relieved of sin if they step into the church and are forgiven. Even if they do not decide, we do not hate the person at all, and we love everyone
Vader
Vader
-->
@Salixes
The Old Testament is never what true Christians devout themselves too, the New Testament is what is we should live by to date. Interpretation is key and you seem to interpret it wrong. Cutting your hair IS NOT a sin or a negative thing. Different disciples and passage say differently. It is simply up to you
ludofl3x
Debates: 0
ludofl3x
Sorry if I'm late here, but am I correct that one argument is "Well, they don't hate gays per se, they hate that they have non-reproductive sexual activity?" It's akin to they don't hate gays, they hate what they do. I hope that's incorrect and I'm just in TLDR mode, but there's an awful lot of talk about that. Wouldn't that make getting a blowie from your wife the same as being gay, and punishable by stoning in the streets according to Levitican law? 

It seems to me like such an argument is just some weird permission structure for discrimination. Anyone ever heard of a group of people harassing a gay person on the street of (insert Christian-heavy town here, say Birmingham AL) by saying "YOUR SEXUAL ACTIVITY ISN'T REPRODUCTIVE!" Any gay bashers admit to dragging a gay kid behind their truck because he didn't have a desire to have reproductive sex? Would it be right for a grown woman's family to disown her because it came to light that her husband went down on her?  I don't know man, I think the ones that DO hate them would look for any reason to do so, and having one in the bible that says it's an abomination unto the lord and sanctioning harassment is good enough. For the record, I don't think the majority of Christians DO hate homosexuals. I think they don't know many, and I think even the ones that do largely compartmentalize that their faith demands they hate them for any reason. 
ludofl3x
ludofl3x
-->
@Vader
The Old Testament is never what true Christians devout themselves too

Then why is it in every bible? Shouldn't it be discarded entirely to clear up some of this confusion?

There have many LGBTQ+ people who have been relieved of sin if they step into the church and are forgiven.
Yeah, many of them are in the clergy. Badumpump.

Seriously, many also suffer severe emotional damage because they're gay and Christian and told that the urges god gave them are a curse to be ignored, otherwise they'll be ostracized, their families will shun them, and they'll burn in hell in a lake of fire forever. God wired them wrong but it's their responsibility. 
Vader
Vader
-->
@ludofl3x
Those families who would leave their sons behind are not true Christians. A true Christian would try to help their son with sin, and still love them no matter what

Clergy is not bad, it is only the Catholics. The Orthodox do not have any clergy scandals
Athias
Athias
-->
@drafterman
Incorrect. I am using your words as provided in this post here:

I'm well aware of the post since I am its author.

Since you helpfully provided those words I have only used those words and made no reference to anyone's state of mind.
Yes you are. You are using yourself as a reference of exclusion while alluding to your own state of mind--i.e." as a heterosexual engaging in coitus, I am telling you it was not (always) my plan, goal, purpose, or design to induce pregnancy." My words are correct, your incorporation of them with your ascribed descriptions are not.

What makes the act "intended for pregnancy?"
That's a better question. The primary function of insemination during coitus is fertilization, which typically results in pregnancy.

ludofl3x
ludofl3x
-->
@Vader
Props for leaning right into the no true Christian argument! Why try and avoid it, right? Also, Catholicism is the largest sect of Christianity on the planet, saying it's "only" Catholics is still a pretty big number. And if I google Orthodx clergy scandals, I'm going to get nothing? 
Athias
Athias
-->
@ludofl3x
Sorry if I'm late here, but am I correct that one argument is "Well, they don't hate gays per se, they hate that they have non-reproductive sexual activity?" It's akin to they don't hate gays, they hate what they do. I hope that's incorrect and I'm just in TLDR mode, but there's an awful lot of talk about that. Wouldn't that make getting a blowie from your wife the same as being gay, and punishable by stoning in the streets according to Levitican law? 
Getting a blowie from one's wife is not the same as being gay. Inseminating your wife's mouth during a blowie is considered sodomy, which is condemned by some Christians.

It seems to me like such an argument is just some weird permission structure for discrimination.
One doesn't need permission to discriminate.

Anyone ever heard of a group of people harassing a gay person on the street of (insert Christian-heavy town here, say Birmingham AL) by saying "YOUR SEXUAL ACTIVITY ISN'T REPRODUCTIVE!"
How is harassment relevant?

Any gay bashers admit to dragging a gay kid behind their truck because he didn't have a desire to have reproductive sex?
Again, what's the relevance?

Would it be right for a grown woman's family to disown her because it came to light that her husband went down on her? 
Non sequitur. Oral sex is not sodomy. Insemination during oral sex is.

I think the ones that DO hate them would look for any reason to do so
I'll ask this of you, too. Since when does on need or required to look for a reason to "hate"?

For the record, I don't think the majority of Christians DO hate homosexuals.
Neither do I. I suspect it's rejection rather than hatred for the reasons I've already mentioned in this thread.

drafterman
drafterman
-->
@Athias
That's a better question. The primary function of insemination during coitus is fertilization, which typically results in pregnancy.
But insemination during coitus is out of the control of the participants. So why should we attach moral value to it?
Athias
Athias
-->
@drafterman
But insemination during coitus is out of the control of the participants. So why should we attach moral value to it?
Where did I state that we should attach moral value to it?

drafterman
drafterman
-->
@Athias
That's what this whole conversation is about. Please do keep up, it would make this process a lot easier.
ludofl3x
ludofl3x
-->
@Athias
Inseminating your wife's mouth during a blowie is considered sodomy, which is condemned by some Christians.

No one is carrying signs at funerals that proclaim "God Hates When You Finish In Your Wife's Mouth," though, we can agree the number of Christians who are proud to say "God Hates F@gs" is apparently far greater than those who condemn finishing in your wife's mouth with equal ferocity, no? 

One doesn't need permission to discriminate.
But it's sure nice to have a divine mandate to fall back on, rather than having to say "Oh, I don't WANT to, but what can I do? Jesus said to!"

How is harassment relevant?

This is how hatred is often manifested. Not always, but often. Same applies to the subsequent examples. 

Non sequitur. Oral sex is not sodomy. Insemination during oral sex is.
So your position is only sodomy is outlawed, and the crux of that is insemination, such that any sexual act wherein male ejaculation is achieved and the semen is NOT issued directly into a vagina with at least the chance of a woman getting pregnant (volition of the participants aside) is all the same and prohibited? It's a genuine question, I just want to understand where you're coming from. 

Since when does on need or required to look for a reason to "hate"?
Same as before, it's not REQUIRED, but having the good book back you up is much more palatable than having to think "Oh, I have no good reason for hating this person, they're black, that's enough for me!" and still thinking you're a top notch person. 
Athias
Athias
-->
@drafterman
That's what this whole conversation is about. Please do keep up, it would make this process a lot easier.
No, it actually isn't. You inserted yourself into a conversation without understanding its context. The subject of this discussion is whether Christians, as Salixes alleges, "hate" homosexuals or simply that which they do. Not once have I mentioned morality. And our back and forth started when you responded to a response I made toward Disciplus Didicit's query. Rather than project your own impression of the conversation, you could simply ask given that you are the latecomer. 
Athias
Athias
-->
@ludofl3x
No one is carrying signs at funerals that proclaim "God Hates When You Finish In Your Wife's Mouth," though, we can agree the number of Christians who are proud to say "God Hates F@gs" is apparently far greater than those who condemn finishing in your wife's mouth with equal ferocity, no? 
So, does one need to carry a sign to "hate"? And even if we were to entertain your premise that Christians hate "fags" in greater quantity, what would be the relevance of said quantity?

But it's sure nice to have a divine mandate to fall back on, rather than having to say "Oh, I don't WANT to, but what can I do? Jesus said to!"
Maybe, maybe not. How does that qualify their alleged discrimination?

This is how hatred is often manifested. Not always, but often. Same applies to the subsequent examples. 
How is it often manifested in harassment? How do you know that it is often manifested in harassment?

So your position is only sodomy is outlawed, and the crux of that is insemination, such that any sexual act wherein male ejaculation is achieved and the semen is NOT issued directly into a vagina with at least the chance of a woman getting pregnant (volition of the participants aside) is all the same and prohibited? It's a genuine question, I just want to understand where you're coming from. 
It's not my position, but you're on the right track. I don't know of any modern Christian theocracies--but feel free to correct me--so I can't make mention of any outlaw, but it is condemned by some Christians. Furthermore, you make mention of "volition," what do you mean? Are you referencing circumstances where one of the parties is raped?

drafterman
drafterman
-->
@Athias
Whether or not you accept it as part of the conversation, do you have an answer for the question?

ludofl3x
ludofl3x
-->
@Athias
Furthermore, you make mention of "volition," what do you mean? Are you referencing circumstances where one of the parties is raped?

I'm referencing one or both of the parties not wanting to get pregnant, so they employ birth control. Which seems like it would turn regular old sex into sodomy, because pregnancy is out of the question. Would that also mean that having sex in non-fertile weeks is sodomy, and therefore the same sin that gay people are apparently committing?

And even if we were to entertain your premise that Christians hate "fags" in greater quantity, what would be the relevance of said quantity?

That they seem more comfortable with denigrating gay people than they are denigrating those whose wives let them finish in their mouths. 

How does that qualify their alleged discrimination?
As 'sanctioned by Jesus.'

How do you know that it is often manifested in harassment?
ET rephrase: what motivators for harassment are common are there in your view? And I'm using the very softest language for harassment, as pointed out earlier, 'dragging a person behind a truck because they sleep with someone of the same sex" is a little more than harassment, wouldn't you say? To me, once is too many times. In any case, I tried to think of a reason someone would harass a group of people as a rule (not an individual), and ignorance, misunderstanding...all of those can morph into hatred and combine that with group think and suddenly you could end up with a real problem on your hands. 
Athias
Athias
-->
@drafterman
Whether or not you accept it as part of the conversation, do you have an answer for the question?
It's not a question of my acceptance. If you want to introduce it into the conversation then by all means do so. My concern is your misrepresenting my arguments as well as the context under which they were made. With that said, the moral value I'd attach to would be in the context of its extending voluntary engagement. As long as its voluntary (without duress) it's "moral."

Athias
Athias
-->
@ludofl3x
I'm referencing one or both of the parties not wanting to get pregnant, so they employ birth control. Which seems like it would turn regular old sex into sodomy, because pregnancy is out of the question. Would that also mean that having sex in non-fertile weeks is sodomy, and therefore the same sin that gay people are apparently committing?
I don't believe the description expands to the circumstances you mentioned. But, it would logically follow that if one were to reject sodomy for its lack of reproductive utility, one would, in order to be consistent, reject birth control. So their "sins" would be identical in that context.

That they seem more comfortable with denigrating gay people than they are denigrating those whose wives let them finish in their mouths. 
What does their increased comfort implicate? Is it merely a difference in number?

As 'sanctioned by Jesus.'
In other words, Jesus allegedly sanctioning their hate mitigates them. But if their code of conduct, their impressions, their decisions, their feelings, even, are dictated by their adherence to Jesus and his philosophy, why would it then be "nice" to have Jesus "back them," so to speak, as opposed to... what? Doesn't he always back them?

What else would drive harassment of a certain group, like gays or Christians?
You're arguing an unsubstantiated logical biconditional. An argument can be made that harassment incorporates some "hate," but does "hating" someone or something incorporate the manifestation of some harassment? That has yet to be argued sufficiently.

ludofl3x
ludofl3x
-->
@Athias
What does their increased comfort implicate? Is it merely a difference in number?

I guess it would imply that the bible calls one behavior (laying with a man as with a woman) an abomination but makes no comment specifically on blowing your load in your wife's mouth, and therefore, Christians have more solid biblical foundation for hating gay sex than they do hating oral sex finishers. 

But if their code of conduct, their impressions, their decisions, their feelings, even, are dictated by their adherence to Jesus and his philosophy, why would it then be "nice" to have Jesus "back them," so to speak, as opposed to... what?
I'm a little unclear on what you're asking here, so I'll take my best shot at it. It's nice to have Jesus back them, rather than have to take sole responsibility for their hatred and subsequent attitudes and potential harassment. For me, for example, if I decided I hated Asian people, and someone asked me why, I'd just have to admit "well, their eyes are weird" or "they seem shifty" or whatever, and the person would be free to judge me as a bigot. If I said "Well Jesus said to," now that same person, in my eyes, if they're judging me is not only bigoted against ME, but against my religion too. It's much easier for me to live with considering Jesus warned that I'd be so persecuted for standing up for his beliefs and all. 

An argument can be made that harassment incorporates some "hate," but does "hating" someone or something incorporate the manifestation of some harassment? That has yet to be argued sufficiently.
I don't think I argued all people who hate harass, rather that it seemed to me that most group harassment is in some way informed by hatred, as one of the factors. Can you rephrase the last two questions if I missed them?
Athias
Athias
-->
@ludofl3x
I guess it would imply that the bible calls one behavior (laying with a man as with a woman) an abomination but makes no comment specifically on blowing your load in your wife's mouth, and therefore, Christians have more solid biblical foundation for hating gay sex than they do hating oral sex finishers. 
I agree that there's a more solid foundation for rejecting homosexuality in juxtaposition to oral insemination, but your initial scrutiny was that it should be deemed the same as homosexuality. Your gauge is that no one's making and carrying signs conveying hate for oral insemination. With that said, let's entertain the credibility of this allegedly direct consequence, under what context does this hate manifest? Isn't it almost always political?

I'm a little unclear on what you're asking here, so I'll take my best shot at it. It's nice to have Jesus back them, rather than have to take sole responsibility for their hatred and subsequent attitudes and potential harassment.
To whom are they responsible if not Jesus? My question is, if their sense of self is heavily influenced by the backing of Jesus, wouldn't their taking "sole responsibility" be a reflection of their relationship to Jesus?

For me, for example, if I decided I hated Asian people, and someone asked me why, I'd just have to admit "well, their eyes are weird" or "they seem shifty" or whatever, and the person would be free to judge me as a bigot. If I said "Well Jesus said to," now that same person, in my eyes, if they're judging me is not only bigoted against ME, but against my religion too. It's much easier for me to live with considering Jesus warned that I'd be so persecuted for standing up for his beliefs and all. 
My point is, if this was always the case, what is one's reference for comparison?

I don't think I argued all people who hate harass, rather that it seemed to me that most group harassment is in some way informed by hatred, as one of the factors. Can you rephrase the last two questions if I missed them?
No, you argued that those who hate often harass. And, I asked you how you would know this. You responded by asking "What else would drive harassment of a certain group, like gays or Christians?" If you're clarifying now that you mean that harassment is in some way informed by hatred--and I agree that argument can be made with credibility--then what relevance does harassment have, given that the subject of the discussion examines the alleged hate of homosexual, which you just argued isn't necessarily informed by harassment?
ludofl3x
ludofl3x
-->
@Athias
I agree that there's a more solid foundation for rejecting homosexuality in juxtaposition to oral insemination, but your initial scrutiny was that it should be deemed the same as homosexuality.

My point was in response to your contention that reproductive utility is somehow associated with the sanctioned hatred of homosexuals (even though the bible doesn't make this clear in the verse about them being abominations). I just wanted to point out that this line of logic would make all non-reproductive sex equated with homosexuality, and clearly Christians don't see it that way in general, as evidenced by no one making signs saying "God Hates Hand Jobs" and parading around with them at every funeral you can find, or deciding you can't adopt a baby if you've ever given or received a hand job. The same cannot be said for homosexuality. 

My question is, if their sense of self is heavily influenced by the backing of Jesus, wouldn't their taking "sole responsibility" be a reflection of their relationship to Jesus?
I don't see how that would follow. Can you explain? Let's say my parents hate homosexuals, and they teach ME to hate homosexuals when I'm little. When I ask why, their answer is "Doesn't matter, Jesus said so, it's here in the book, you don't really get to go against it." Now I grow up, I meet a couple of gay people in high school, they seem okay to me, but I don't want to burn in hell for not hating them properly, so I have to! Jesus said so. Do I have any other rational reason to hate homosexuals? 

My point is, if this was always the case, what is one's reference for comparison?
Reference point for it being easier? I'm not sure what you mean. 

then what relevance does harassment have, given that the subject of the discussion examines the alleged hate of homosexual,
If Jesus told you to hate homosexuals under pain of eternal damnation, and you then harassed homosexuals, you can do so without fear of eternal damnation as you're just following orders. If you don't have Jesus's backing to do so, to hate homosexuals and perhaps even harass them, you're off the reservation on your own. And to be clear, i'm not saying all Christians hate or harass gays. I'm saying it's much harder to find a strictly non-religious group that protests gay rights and cares if kids can be adopted by them, or if they can share tax and medical benefit coverage. THere is literally no rational reason for that, it's discrimination, and the people who want to prpoagate it are, I'm sorry, very, very largely Christians who want to impose their biblical values on society at large as far as I can tell. 

And sorry, I missed this one earlier:

I don't believe the description expands to the circumstances you mentioned.
Is there any reason that sexual congress let's say the very day after a woman's menstrual cycle ends would NOT be considered useless from a reproductive utility standpoint and therefore sodomy as you laid it out? Particularly in the bible.
Vader
Vader
-->
@ludofl3x
You will get something, but not as much as Catholics, and certainly not as significant as the Catholics
Mopac
Debates: 4
Mopac
God forbid we make this about getting pregnant, lest men of the future think that being modified surgically to be able to become pregnant makes it ok for them to live in defiance of reality.
PGA2.0
Debates: 7
PGA2.0
-->
@Salixes
Christians have often uttered the adage, "We don't hate homosexuals. We just hate what they do".

Such a dictum has no weight to it since homosexuals are no different from heterosexuals in what they do. In any case, isn't "we just hate what they do" no more than a euphemism for saying "we hate them"?
It should not be a question of hate but of doing what is right. That begs the question of what is right and who decides. 

If there is no absolute standard what makes your standard any better than that of the Christian standard?

If we take a look at the Bible we can see where Christians get their mandate to hate homosexuals. The book of Leviticus states that "it is an abomination for a man to lie with a man as with a woman."
But then, the same chapter tells Christians (men) not to cut their hair.
Do we see many Christian homophobes wearing long hair as well? 

Which brings us to the word "homophobic".

Here we can get a good insight as to why Christians are so hateful.
As with any phobia, homophobia is a fear of homosexuals.
Experts will tell us that the key cause of fear is ignorance or lack of knowledge (of what is feared). This is born out by the saying that the greatest fear is the fear of fear itself.
I do not see that hate represents Christian teaching for we are told to love others and hate evil. Evil is what someone does. Jesus summed up the Ten Commandments in two. The second is to love your neighbour and to do what is right towards them. That and the First is what the whole law hinges upon. We are not to hate those who are created in the image and likeness of God but we are also not to condone wrongful action in ourselves or others but to understand and recognize it as wrong. 

All Christian institutions urge their followers to shun any information (for example, scientific publications) that contradicts their beliefs and even promote the idea that followers should not associate or do business with others outside their circle.
How could we interact with the world of humanity if we did not associate with others outside our worldview? Is that the mandate Jesus gave His followers? No. 

Is it not fair to say then that Christians hate gays for no other reason than ignorance?

Here again, who is ignorant? If you have no ultimate, absolute standard why is your standard any better than any other? How can anyone criticize others unless they are aware of such things without being hypocritical or consistent with their own selves? 

So, until you can give me reasonable and logical arguments that you are not ignorant regarding morals my case stands. 

Do you have a necessary standard of right and wrong or is 'might makes right' the standard rather than 'right makes might'?