Author: Salixes

Read-only
Total: 140
PGA2.0
Debates: 7
PGA2.0
-->
@Salixes
The point I'm making is that Christians have a habit of cherry-picking rules from the Bible (even the NT) to suit their own preconceptions or phobias.
The question is whether the Bible actually teaching something. That can be argued as to whether a Christian is misrepresenting the Bible. 

For example, you will find references to "going after strange flesh" and Jesus preaching marriage only between opposites sexes in the New Testament. Christians latch onto that one and suck it for all its worth but when it comes to:

Gouge out your eyeball:  (Matthew 5:29)
I don't think you will find many homophobes who have ripped out an eye for looking at a woman.
Again, you have to understand the type of language employed. The Bible has all kinds of figures of speech as well as in a literal historical narrative. What the teaching conveys depends on the kind of language used. Is it hyperbole or literal?

Aside from the subject though, is a rule completely at odds with itself:

Do not give heed to fables (1.TIM 1:4)
To my mind, such a dictum is telling the reader "don't believe anything in this book".
Again, it is your interpretation or feelings that the Bible is a fable or myth rather than the biblical teaching itself. 

But have nothing to do with worldly fables fit only for old women. On the other hand, discipline yourself for the purpose of godliness;

In fact, the NT warns the believer to turn away from myths.

nor to pay attention to myths and endless genealogies, which give rise to mere speculation rather than furthering the administration of God which is by faith.

and will turn away their ears from the truth and will turn aside to myths.

not paying attention to Jewish myths and commandments of men who turn away from the truth.

See to it that no one takes you captive through philosophy and empty deception, according to the tradition of men, according to the elementary principles of the world, rather than according to Christ.

and with all the deception of wickedness for those who perish, because they did not receive the love of the truth so as to be saved.

It is easy to be selective in what you believe about the Bible if you do not take into account the fuller teaching, or if you employ a foreign worldview in looking at its wording. 
Salixes
Debates: 0
Salixes
-->
@PGA2.0
My "interpretation or feelings" regarding the Bible being full of fable or myth is pure fact.
For example, there is not one piece of evidence that verifies the myth of Noah and the Ark.

I was not talking generically about how the Bible is interpreted.

Let me be quite specific.
Christian Churches have openly laid down rules to its followers that homosexuality is not acceptable to the extent of prohibiting marriage between homosexuals, refusing baptism to homosexuals or even allowing homosexuals to be Church members.

It is Churches, not particular Christians who use written verse for their own ends to actively incite hatred towards minority groups including those of other faiths and homosexuals.
Salixes
Salixes
-->
@PGA2.0
I think you will find that the so-called "standards" are in place in most states and societies.
There are laws that cover vilifying minority groups such as homosexuals.

For example: the well documented case of Kimberley Davis who refused to issue marriage licences to gays "under God's authority"; She was ultimately jailed for contempt of court. 

There are many other cases of Christians vilifying minority groups in the name of God.

Christian Churches openly document their vilification of homosexuals and their so-called "standards" are at complete odds with those of decent, law-abiding societies

Fact; Christian Churches incite hatred towards homosexuals.
Fact: Christians habitually display hatred against homosexuals.

I have often heard the excuse from Christians "But I don't follow those rules, it's my Church, not me".

Surely, if one subscribes to an organisation that openly preaches hatred towards others, one is just as guilty through association.

Mopac
Debates: 4
Mopac
-->
@Salixes
We certainly don't recognize a union between two members of the same sex as a marriage.

That being the case, it isn't right for the government to demand churches to conduct marriage ceremonies between same sex couples. 

That all said, it is a different ballgame when you are working for the government. 

Mopac
Mopac
-->
@Salixes
I dispute your facts, because they are grounded in identity fallacies.

Deviation from Christian discipline is what leads to things like hatred. Hatred is incompatible with true Christianity.

And so if someone does not behave as a Christian should, how can you ascribe this as Christian behavior? It isn't. 

Salixes
Salixes
-->
@Mopac
"We certainly don't recognize a union between two members of the same sex as a marriage."

....is a euphemism for "we hate homosexuals".
Salixes
Salixes
-->
@Mopac
 "grounded in identity fallacies" is both hollow and devoid of any substantial meaning.

The facts I presented are irrefutable and were fully backed up by viable evidence.

I have also clearly demonstrated and proven that adhering to (many) Christian "disciplines" is the root cause of inciting hatred towards others.

Trying to sell up draconian hateful beliefs by ignoring facts and an overwhelming groundswell of (well-justified) disgust certainly isn't going to enhance such a (lost) cause.

The days of utilising religion to mask what is no less than unwanted, anti-social evilness are well and and truly over.

"Deviation" (as you put it) from Christian discipline is what has made made decent, secular society to surge ahead in leaps and bounds in terms of quality of life and moral standards. We have long ago cast the shackles of the negative, hate-ridden, fear-mongering, morbid religious influences which have caused more harm and suffering to mankind than any good it has ever (deceptively) promised.

Mopac
Mopac
-->
@Salixes
"We certainly don't recognize a union between two members of the same sex as a marriage."

....is a euphemism for "we hate homosexuals".

No, see, we don't hate homosexuals. We understand that they have been deceived into believing things about themselves that are not true.

Why accuse me of hating so called "homosexuals"? Why not accuse them of being intolerant of the opposite sex? There is no such thing as a homosexual, it is a choice of behavior. 

The issue here is one of pride. Pride is not something to be glorified, it blinds people to the trurh and corrupts the heart.

grounded in identity fallacies" is both hollow and devoid of any substantial meaning.

The facts I presented are irrefutable and were fully backed up by viable evidence.

I have also clearly demonstrated and proven that adhering to (many) Christian "disciplines" is the root cause of inciting hatred towards others.

Trying to sell up draconian hateful beliefs by ignoring facts and an overwhelming groundswell of (well-justified) disgust certainly isn't going to enhance such a (lost) cause.

The days of utilising religion to mask what is no less than unwanted, anti-social evilness are well and and truly over.

"Deviation" (as you put it) from Christian discipline is what has made made decent, secular society to surge ahead in leaps and bounds in terms of quality of life and moral standards. We have long ago cast the shackles of the negative, hate-ridden, fear-mongering, morbid religious influences which have caused more harm and suffering to mankind than any good it has ever (deceptively) promised.

Orthodox Christianity in no way resembles your caricature of the faith.

Our religion is Truth worship, plain and simple. You do not understand our ways, and your approach is counterproductive towards getting understanding.

If you want understanding, humility and charity is the way. Pride and hatred will only lead you down a path of delusion. It is choosing death over life.

Choose life. 

Tradesecret
Debates: 2
Tradesecret
-->
@Stephen
The Fact is Christians don't hate homosexuals. I am not even sure they dislike them. 

You appear to be speaking for all Christians simply by stating it as "fact". 

Yes, appearances can be deceiving.  Yet, the general application is true if one believes the Bible. Hence, I am confident I am able to make such a statement. Christians - as defined by the Bible do not hate homosexuals. One, because Jesus said "love your enemies" and secondly, Peter explains that Christians who hate their brothers are not really Christians. I am comfortable with my position. 

The Bible is full of many kinds of genre so it is ridiculous to use it in exactly the same manner throughout. Interestingly, it tends to be the Christian who attempts to use it properly while the anti-Christian often (not always) chooses to interpret it and use it literally. 

That is nothing more than opinion. And for you to keep prefixing the word "Christian" with the word "anti" won't make your own interpretation of the scriptures any more credible than my own or anyone else's who have looked at and studied these scriptures, for over 40 years in my case.
It is not an opinion that the bible is full of different genres. It is a fact. I agree that it is my opinion that anti-Christians tend to be literalistic. You are an example of this. So is Brother ???  So is Willows. So are many other atheists who utilise the early five books of the OT. Your understanding of the Bible is not consistent with any credible scholar so I take not much from your comments. Unlike you, I do have professional credibility in the OT and the NT scriptures. You have NOT read widely and appear to read very narrowly. 

Who ....?  Why....? What ?  if so, what and why?

Posing questions of your own on someone else' thread go nowhere near answering the question posed by the OP

I am not posing questions at large, my point was people who want to understand the Bible need to ask questions. 

The OT law for example was written to the people of Israel,[....................]  It was not written to Christians in that same sense.

It was not written for Christians at all. I have stated many times here, that, the early Christians lumbered themselves with the OT god and the OT scriptures when they adopted a religion that they had absolutely no understanding of. And now, the modern Christian has to try and explain away all these vile OT scriptures and explain away all the violence meted out by this OT god.

That is your opinion.  The OT was written to Israel in the first instance. Nevertheless, the rest of your argument relies on a premise that God the Holy Spirit did not write the Christians or people who belong to God. It is your opinion. nothing more. I don't have to explain anything away. I have said that the OT is relevant - yet I also  accept that intervening events such as the ADVENT of Christ is significant. That is not explaining anything away - simply acknowledging that the Messiah has arrived and that this means something. Every Jew in our world today would acknowledge the same thing. When the messiah does appear - it means something. What that might mean is always going to be up to discussion - but his appearance DEFINETLY means something and therefore must do something. 

They have to invent excuses, change words, and whole meanings of verses and downright lie, to protect,  shield and defend the actions of this self confessed violent, jealous god of war and murder.

Nonsense. I have no issue with the FACT that the God of the OT did things and said things which go against everything known in the 20th and 21st Century. I don't happen to hold to the fallacy, like you do, that our modern world knows everything. For instance I don't have a particular care for whether God committed genocide or not or whether he supports or condones slavery. These are modern issues - not historical issues. I liken them to what some call "first world problems". I like the fact that God is jealous. I like the fact that he destroys the wicked. I don't have an issue with the notion of HELL. Of course people in our soft 21st century would probably soil their pants at the thought. PLEASE STOP assuming you know me or CHRISTIANS. You clearly have no idea what we think or you would stop making such stupid comments. 

But as someone has already pointed out ; The Christian faith states that Jesus is god and god wrote "If a man also lie with mankind, As he lieth with a woman, Both of them have committed an abomination: they shall surely be put to death; their blood shall be upon them." (Leviticus 20:13).   This is not to mention that Jesus states that has not come to change the "law" Matthew 5:17. 

Obviously someone who has no theological training is going to read the English and thinks they understand everything. I have explained to you on other occasions that the Hebrew reads differently but you in your arrogance always thinks I am just avoiding the truth. SURELY in the above sentence in the Hebrews actually refers to the idiom of "dying you shall die". But rather than accept the idiom or look at the original you ASSUME like many this means other than what it does. This is a covenantal expression. It is talking about covenantal death, just like in Genesis. 

Jesus did not come to change the law. And I say unequivocally he did not change the law. He might have clarified it in some ways but his point was mostly to state that it was the substance of the law that counts. I say he filled out the law.  He said what was left out. What was omitted - because of people's natural tendency to minimise things. Take the example of adultery. He said it was more than about physical stuff - but that it related to how people think about it.  And in relation to murder - it was more that the actual killing of someone - Hence - to call someone stupid - reflected more fully that it is the image of God that was the issue. 

The thing about sin is - who gets to define what it is?

Ask a Christian, ask a Jew and ask a Muslim, they will all have their own different interpretations and versions  of what are deemed to be crimes against god and gods will.

HOW is this relevant? I said above that the Christians point of view is that God defines it. Obviously others define it differently. homosexuality - on point. Our modern world says - homosexuality is not a sin. Why? Because people are born that way. And therefore God would not condemn someone on the basis that they were born because God made them that way. Incidentally, this is despite the fact that there is NOT ONE study which says people are born homosexuals. NOT ONE. In fact studies insist there is not even a gene that demonstrates that people have a tendency towards homosexuality.  FACT is - we don't have evidence to support people are born homosexual. But don't question it. 

For the Christian sin is defined by God as "falling short of his standards". 

I am not sure if you are just trying to play down what the consequences are for a homosexual " falling short of his standards". Or if you are trying to simplify what crimes/sins against god and his will actually are. But god / also known to Christians as Jesus the Christ, makes the punishment for homosexuality a capital crime, does he not?

According to the Bible, homosexuality is not normal. It is a sin. It ought to be punished. The maximum penalty is death. Homosexuality falls short of God's standard because it is not how he describes and puts marriage. Two men or two women getting married and not having children falls short of the mandate to populate and fill the earth. I don't think this is too difficult to understand or even to appreciate. In fact such relationships do not have the capacity or the ability to do so - unless they ADOPT a child that has ARISEN because of another kind of relationship. 

If the Opening poster is correct - then all Christians hate all things. This is clearly absurd.

Is rape and   murder just "falling short" of Gods standards?  Do you not see how ridiculous and "absurd" your statement is? 

RAPE and MURDER are falling short of God's standards. Who would utter otherwise? My statement is not absurd. Christians hate murder and they hate rape.  But these things are adjectives nor not people. Christians will not hate people. They hate the sin, the adjectives - sin is not a noun - it is not a thing. It is an action. It is a behaviour. These things are not created - they are not things. Actions are not CREATED. 
Mopac
Mopac
Every major religion in the world recognizes sexual immorality. It isn't strange that the godless communists who want to force the world into anarchy delude themselves and others into denying the reality that these things are understood as immoral for no arbitrary reason. It has everything to do with accepting reality.

zedvictor4
Debates: 22
zedvictor4
-->
@Mopac
Who is "us"?

Us is you and I.

Unless you are an "alien".

Nonetheless, universally that is still you and I.

And as I continue to point out, the difference between you and I is simply how we separately acquired, stored and subsequently utilised data.

Data that is all very similar, but utilised in slightly different ways.

I understand your version of the God concept but regard it as non-sense.

Neither of us can prove the other to be wrong, because as you are well aware the God concept is only a concept. That is to say an internal data construct. A figment of our imaginations in other words.

Therefore God is unprovable and the ultimate reality is currently unknowable.

Nonetheless I still maintain that the God concept is reasonable, but certainly not in the way that you devote yourself to it.

No singing or uttering of prayers or incense burning or fancy outfits or pointy buildings required.

ronjs
ronjs
-->
@Salixes
Why do atheists hate an individual they claim never existed.
Salixes
Salixes
-->
@Mopac
What on earth does sexual immorality have to do with the subject or homosexuality, for that matter?
drafterman
Debates: 6
drafterman
-->
@ronjs
Why do atheists hate an individual they claim never existed.
They don't.

ronjs
ronjs
-->
@drafterman
Atheists say that those who disagree with homosexuality actually hate or fear homosexuals, so using the same standard those who disagree with Christianity hate or fear Christ.

ethang5
Debates: 1
ethang5
-->
@ronjs
Good point.
drafterman
Debates: 6
drafterman
-->
@ronjs
I don't think atheists are submitting the general standard that "x disagrees with y" therefore "x hates y."
Mopac
Mopac
-->
@zedvictor4
I understand your version of the God concept but regard it as non-sense.

Neither of us can prove the other to be wrong, because as you are well aware the God concept is only a concept. That is to say an internal data construct. A figment of our imaginations in other words.

Therefore God is unprovable and the ultimate reality is currently unknowable.

"The Ultimate Reality" is not an arbitrary string of words that can be replaced with anything. The Ultimate Reality is not a concept, it is reality in the truest sense.

And it certainly exists, there is nothing unprovable about it. In fact, the evidence for God is so overwhelming you have to be blinded in some way not to see it.

Nonetheless I still maintain that the God concept is reasonable, but certainly not in the way that you devote yourself to it.

No singing or uttering of prayers or incense burning or fancy outfits or pointy buildings required

You don't understand why these things are done, so you don't have an informed opinion.

PGA2.0
PGA2.0
-->
@Salixes
My "interpretation or feelings" regarding the Bible being full of fable or myth is pure fact.
For example, there is not one piece of evidence that verifies the myth of Noah and the Ark.
Again, you base your Bible interpretation on feelings which you believe are full of myth but there are many biblical verifications that this is not how it is to be understood. Concerning historical verification, again, there are many facts contained in the Bible that are historically verifiable by other historical sources besides the biblical accounts. Here again, it boils down to whom you place as your highest authority - you, some other fallible human being(s), or the words that claim to be from God. Most definitely, you place your faith in one of those sources. 

There are many ancient events and people who we cannot verify historically other than by the manuscripts that mention such a person, place, or event. But historical and archaeological discoveries lend verification to some of these mentions.

You pick an event that would be very hard to verify but I could argue there are signs of such an event. It is a matter of how those signs are interpreted.    

I was not talking generically about how the Bible is interpreted.

Let me be quite specific.
Christian Churches have openly laid down rules to its followers that homosexuality is not acceptable to the extent of prohibiting marriage between homosexuals, refusing baptism to homosexuals or even allowing homosexuals to be Church members.

It is Churches, not particular Christians who use written verse for their own ends to actively incite hatred towards minority groups including those of other faiths and homosexuals.

There again, there is a correct way of interpreting Scripture. As Christians, since we believe God has spoken, we must understand His meaning and not read our own into the passage or overall teaching. I believe it is clear what Scripture teaches and that can be very uncomfortable because it shines a light on our deeds, actions and beliefs, and the motives behind them. The Scriptures teach that God created humanity for a purpose. He uses analogies, types and shadows, as well as plain language to teach truths about Himself and our relationship with Him. One such teaching that is clothed in symbolism as well as a plain, literal interpretation, is that of marriage. God foreordained it as a lesson for us, that it is a union between a man and a woman that represents a greater truth, our union with God. Thus, it is a sacred institution. There is a purpose behind it, not only an earthly purpose but a spiritual purpose. It points to what is best. It also points to what is the natural desire of God for humanity. Through it, we have family relations. Through it, children are born.  
PGA2.0
PGA2.0
-->
@Salixes
I think you will find that the so-called "standards" are in place in most states and societies.
There are laws that cover vilifying minority groups such as homosexuals.
And I believe it is wrong to vilify people since I believe we are all made in the image and likeness of God as human beings. However, that brings to point who is right and who is wrong. Can I not express my belief in what is right also? Believing some things are wrong does not mean that my freedom of speech should be taken away from me because I believe differently from you. The ultimate test would be in discerning where morals come from. Do they come from humans or is there a greater source? If only from a relative, subjective human or human beings then who is actually right? Which opposing view speaks the truth and can truth even be known if everything is relative? Would it be you or me who holds a different belief that holds the truth in the matter?

So, I ask you, what is necessary for us to know what is right and what is wrong. Speak to your thoughts.  

For example: the well documented case of Kimberley Davis who refused to issue marriage licences to gays "under God's authority"; She was ultimately jailed for contempt of court.
So this shows that some people are not tolerant of others such as to Kimberly Davis and they do not hold that all views are equal. That is just the point, isn't it? Who is right here? Does passing a law determine what is right or what is PREFERRED? There are many unjust laws. How would you determine whether a law is right or wrong? What is your final authority on such matters? Do you believe that a small group of subjective people can mandate for everyone else what should be the case? Or do you believe that the majority determines right and wrong? Do you believe that indoctrination and propaganda can change the way you look at what is right and wrong? If so, how do you arrive at truth and what is right?  

You see, tolerance is something you do of others even when you believe them to be wrong. I can tolerate that you may not believe the Bible to be God's word and our final authority. Can you tolerate that I believe the Bible is His word and my final authority, not you or some subjective social or cultural group?

Intolerance, to my understanding, is vilifying someone who does not hold the same belief you do regardless of whether it is right or wrong. 

There are many other cases of Christians vilifying minority groups in the name of God.

Christian Churches openly document their vilification of homosexuals and their so-called "standards" are at complete odds with those of decent, law-abiding societies

Fact; Christian Churches incite hatred towards homosexuals.
Fact: Christians habitually display hatred against homosexuals.
Is it hate or an understanding? I can believe something is a sin, thus wrong, and still hope for the best of the person who sins and care about them.

This subject again revolves around the question of how we determine what is actually the case regarding morals.  

I have often heard the excuse from Christians "But I don't follow those rules, it's my Church, not me".

Surely, if one subscribes to an organisation that openly preaches hatred towards others, one is just as guilty through association.

Since Christians and the church has a standard it references, do you think they are being consistent with the teachings of that standard?

I'm not saying that all Christians practice what is right and good, and as human beings, we all fall short of the mark of God's righteousness in ourselves, but sometimes love can be seen as hatred by others. Is it wrong to want the best for others? Well, how do you determine what is best if you have no fixed, absolute, unchanging standard of righteousness? Do you have answers to such questions? I can answer your questions until the cows come home but can you answer mine? I'm looking for a two-way street here. Be honest with them and let's see how you justify what you believe. Let's see how you make sense of what you believe because I believe I have a logical and reasonable case in making sense of what I believe. 

BrotherDThomas
BrotherDThomas
-->
@ethang5

ethang5,

YOUR SO VERY WEAK REFUTATION TO JESUS NOT BEING A HEBREW GOD :(  "No. God really isn't Hebrew. You think God is ethnic? Really?"

Thats it? This is the best refutation that you can do to the biblical fact that Jesus as Yahweh God incarnate is NOT Hebrew?! LOL!

Pssst, don't look now, but the biblical axioms below state without question that our Jesus, as Yahweh God incarnate, is HEBREW!

1. The God of the Old Testament is Yahweh, the God of the Hebrews, and in the Old and New Testaments as Jesus being Yahweh God incarnate.

2. JESUS STATED: "And Jesus said unto them, Verily I say unto you, That ye which have followed me, in the regeneration when the Son of man shall sit in the throne of his glory, ye also shall sit upon twelve thrones, judging the twelve tribes of Israel." (Matthew 19:28) Jesus is the God of the Hebrews when He will judge the twelve tribes of Israel, and as part and parcel of the Triune Doctrine.

3. JESUS STATED: “He answered, "I was sent ONLY to the lost sheep of Israel.” (Matthew 15:24) Jesus was ONLY interested in people of his Jewish heritage, and especially as Yahweh being the Hebrew God, and not the God of other religions!

4. “Behold, the days come, saith the Lord, that I will make a NEW COVENANT with the HOUSE OF ISREAL and with the HOUSE OF JUDAH not according to the covenant that I made with their fathers in the day that I took them by the hand to bring them out of the land of Egypt, My covenant which they broke, although I was a husband unto them,” saith the Lord. But this shall be the covenant that I will make with the HOUSE OF ISRAEL: After those days, saith the Lord, I will put My law in their inward parts, and write it in their hearts, AND WILL BE THEIR GOD, AND THEY SHALL BE MY PEOPLE. (Jeremiah 31:31-33)   This is self-explanatory, or do you need further explanation from me, in the fact that our God Yahweh/Jesus/Ghost IS FOR THE HEBREWS ONLY???!  

5.   "Above his head they placed the written charge against him: this is Jesus, "The King of the Jews" (Matthew 27:37) Obviously this is an appropriate term for Jesus because as shown in the passages herewith. To say otherwise, is Devil Speak which you are good at! 

As many times before, it is your choice to live in biblical ignorance and represent Satan while you are at DEBATEART by going against Jesus' inspired words within the scriptures and recorded history that without question state that Jesus is the HEBREW God!  Priceless ignorance on your behalf where you can't admit you're wrong, but it again is at your laughable expense.  :(

NEXT?

BrotherDThomas
BrotherDThomas
-->
@drafterman

drafterman,

Why don't we just cut to the chase?  It doesn't matter that the followers of Jesus hates gays or not, or by using the insipid term of "We don't hate them, we just hate in what they do" because if we actually followed Jesus' inspired words as expected, then the issue is moot if we would perform the following acts in the name of Jesus, as Yahweh God incarnate:

“If a man also lie with mankind, as he lieth with a woman, both of them have committed an abomination: they shall surely be put to death; their blood shall be upon them.” (Leviticus 20:13)

“For this cause God gave them up into vile affections: for even their women did change the natural use into that which is against nature: And likewise also the men, leaving the natural use of the woman, burned in their lust one toward another; men with men working that which is unseemly, and receiving in themselves that recompense of their error which was meet . . . Who knowing the judgment of God, that they which commit such things are worthy of death, not only do the same, but have pleasure in them that do them” (Romans 1:26-27)

Simple biblical deduction, the gay issue is done so saith Jesus the Christ.

Athias
Debates: 20
Athias
-->
@ludofl3x
My point was in response to your contention that reproductive utility is somehow associated with the sanctioned hatred of homosexuals (even though the bible doesn't make this clear in the verse about them being abominations). I just wanted to point out that this line of logic would make all non-reproductive sex equated with homosexuality, and clearly Christians don't see it that way in general, as evidenced by no one making signs saying "God Hates Hand Jobs" and parading around with them at every funeral you can find, or deciding you can't adopt a baby if you've ever given or received a hand job. The same cannot be said for homosexuality. 
When some Christians grab picket signs and protest, it ]almost always happens under a political context--i.e. gay marriage, adoption, etc. When have you ever seen a political movement galvanized because of sodomy? The closest thing I can think of is NAMBLA, which as a group of pederasts was associated with the "Gay movement" in the early 90's. 

It was clear that the gay movement was more than just about "civil rights"--otherwise they would've accepted civil unions, which satisfied the premise of their initial contention. They wanted to ingratiate homosexuality not only within the public sphere, but also Christianity itself (the push for gay marriage never once incorporated the idea of gay nikkahs--Islamic equivalent of marriage--and gay nissuins--Judaic equivalent of marriage.

Using picket signs as the benchmark doesn't suffice in this context nor does it inform a "general" Christian view, much less "hatred."

I don't see how that would follow. Can you explain? Let's say my parents hate homosexuals, and they teach ME to hate homosexuals when I'm little. When I ask why, their answer is "Doesn't matter, Jesus said so, it's here in the book, you don't really get to go against it." Now I grow up, I meet a couple of gay people in high school, they seem okay to me, but I don't want to burn in hell for not hating them properly, so I have to! Jesus said so. Do I have any other rational reason to hate homosexuals? 

Reference point for it being easier? I'm not sure what you mean. 

If a Christian's sense of responsibility is heavily influenced, or more so dictated, by religious teaching, then why would it feel "nice" to use Jesus as a fallback rather than take "sole responsibility", given that Jesus is the standard? You're speaking as an outlier so you have a sense of responsibility outside of Christian teachings, but can the same be said for Christians?

If Jesus told you to hate homosexuals under pain of eternal damnation, and you then harassed homosexuals, you can do so without fear of eternal damnation as you're just following orders. If you don't have Jesus's backing to do so, to hate homosexuals and perhaps even harass them, you're off the reservation on your own. And to be clear, i'm not saying all Christians hate or harass gays. I'm saying it's much harder to find a strictly non-religious group that protests gay rights and cares if kids can be adopted by them, or if they can share tax and medical benefit coverage. THere is literally no rational reason for that, it's discrimination, and the people who want to prpoagate it are, I'm sorry, very, very largely Christians who want to impose their biblical values on society at large as far as I can tell. 
But does harassment inform the alleged hatred? And if it doesn't, how is it relevant?

Is there any reason that sexual congress let's say the very day after a woman's menstrual cycle ends would NOT be considered useless from a reproductive utility standpoint and therefore sodomy as you laid it out? Particularly in the bible.
I've already said:

I don't believe the description expands to the circumstances you mentioned. But, it would logically follow that if one were to reject sodomy for its lack of reproductive utility, one would, in order to be consistent, reject birth control. So their "sins" would be identical in that context.
You can take your example and fit it into the statement:

I don't believe the description expands to the circumstances you mentioned. But, it would logically follow that if one were to reject sodomy for its lack of reproductive utility, one would, in order to be consistent, reject sexual congress the very day after a woman's menstrual cycle ends. So their "sins" would be identical in that context.

ludofl3x
ludofl3x
-->
@Athias
It was clear that the gay movement was more than just about "civil rights"--otherwise they would've accepted civil unions, which satisfied the premise of their initial contention. They wanted to ingratiate homosexuality not only within the public sphere, but also Christianity itself (the push for gay marriage never once incorporated the idea of gay nikkahs--Islamic equivalent of marriage--and gay nissuins--Judaic equivalent of marriage.
Do you think Christians would have just accepted if the country decided that "married" is now no longer a legal term, but strictly a religious one, and would no longer be on forms as 'marital status' like when you're filling out your tax forms? It seems pretty unlikely considering how many Christians wind themselves up over the apparent prohibition on saying Merry Christmas at your local Macy's. I guess it's just a meaningless word since for tax purposes and medical benefits purposes, marriage and civil unions function the same, but MARRIAGE is only legal as a state sanctioned event. Because of that, all people have a right to it, gay or straight. The flip side would seem to be telling everyone you no longer apply for a state sanctioned MARRIAGE license, but instead a license to unite civilly or something like that. I get the feeling the Christian community would be none too pleased about it, considering how many Christians said things like "it ruins marriage!" somehow. I'd certainly make the same argument for Islam and Judaism, but that's not what was on the table here. I guess I'd support eliminating any secular use of the word marriage for any federal or state purposes provided all rights are exactly the same and people are treated the same, but you probably can guess that if you were, say, filling out an adoption paperwork and had only two boxes to tick, Married or Single, and you were in a civil union, you might think that could affect the decision on allowing you to adopt. I don't know why a gay person would want to be a Christian considering how they're viewed by the bible, but I don't see why anyone would, obviously. I guess if I were gay and wanted to join a church, I'd find a faith that didn't have ANY reason to persecute or discriminate. 

I've sort of lost the thread as to what we're discussing here, but I think it's probably the other way around, hatred (sanctioned by Jesus in the bible) would inform the harassment. Imean otherwise where's the motivation to harass them come from? 

But does harassment inform the alleged hatred?

I don't believe the description expands to the circumstances you mentioned. But, it would logically follow that if one were to reject sodomy for its lack of reproductive utility, one would, in order to be consistent, reject sexual congress the very day after a woman's menstrual cycle ends. So their "sins" would be identical in that context.
At least this is consistent: any form of ejaculation that is not at least risking impregnating a woman is sinful. But anyone can go down on a woman, it's not a sin because there's no ejacluation, so...good for them I guess :). 
ethang5
Debates: 1
ethang5
-->
@BrotherDThomas
Thats it? This is the best refutation that you can do to the biblical fact that Jesus as Yahweh God incarnate is NOT Hebrew?!
We agree now? Lol. When did you realize that God was not Hebrew?

Pssst, don't look now, but the biblical axioms below state without question that our Jesus, as Yahweh God incarnate, is HEBREW!
Nope. Your poor reading comprehension has flummoxed you again. God is the God of... the Hebrews, not Hebrew Himself. Even little kids know this Dee Dee.

You wrote all that silliness, with each verse saying "the God of the hebrews", and you read it every time as "the God who is Hebrew". Do the words dance around in your vision too?

School must have been torture for you.
zedvictor4
Debates: 22
zedvictor4
-->
@Mopac
I know why these things are done.

Though I have been conditioned to think that they are pointless.

Whereas you think that they have value.

Just variable data programming and utilisation.

Similarly you think you know what the Ultimate Reality is.

Whereas I think that neither of us actually has the ability to know what it is and therefore  we can only speculate.

Which is what all religion is....Speculation.

Athias
Athias
-->
@ludofl3x
Do you think Christians would have just accepted if the country decided that "married" is now no longer a legal term, but strictly a religious one, and would no longer be on forms as 'marital status' like when you're filling out your tax forms? It seems pretty unlikely considering how many Christians wind themselves up over the apparent prohibition on saying Merry Christmas at your local Macy's. I guess it's just a meaningless word since for tax purposes and medical benefits purposes, marriage and civil unions function the same, but MARRIAGE is only legal as a state sanctioned event. Because of that, all people have a right to it, gay or straight. The flip side would seem to be telling everyone you no longer apply for a state sanctioned MARRIAGE license, but instead a license to unite civilly or something like that. I get the feeling the Christian community would be none too pleased about it, considering how many Christians said things like "it ruins marriage!" somehow. I'd certainly make the same argument for Islam and Judaism, but that's not what was on the table here. I guess I'd support eliminating any secular use of the word marriage for any federal or state purposes provided all rights are exactly the same and people are treated the same, but you probably can guess that if you were, say, filling out an adoption paperwork and had only two boxes to tick, Married or Single, and you were in a civil union, you might think that could affect the decision on allowing you to adopt.

For the most part, I agree. The Church has some culpability especially when it aligned itself with the State and codified its rituals with the threat of force. And in doing so, they have subjected their rituals to referendums because the State with which it is aligned is a "democracy." With that said, it was clear that the homosexual movement was aiming for more than just "civil rights" by using the State as its proxy in forcing Christianity--more so Catholicism--to accept homosexuality. However given that it's Catholicism, I suspect that there's more afoot. But that's a conversation for another thread, so I'll leave it at that.

I've sort of lost the thread as to what we're discussing here, but I think it's probably the other way around, hatred (sanctioned by Jesus in the bible) would inform the harassment. Imean otherwise where's the motivation to harass them come from? 
I was seeking your realization that its the other way around. And since its the other way around, it wouldn't really be relevant since my contention examined that which informed the alleged "hatred," not that which hatred informs.

ludofl3x
ludofl3x
-->
@Athias
Fair enough, good talk. We will agree to disagree that the equal rights for gay people movement is about forcing Christianity or Catholicism to accept them. I think it's more like forcing Christians and Catholics to treat them as deserving of equal rights under the law and less about "I'm gay therefore I should be legally allowed to have a ceremony in your private club." 
Athias
Athias
-->
@ludofl3x
I think it's more like forcing Christians and Catholics to treat them as deserving of equal rights under the law and less about "I'm gay therefore I should be legally allowed to have a ceremony in your private club." 
If that were the case, Civil Unions would've sufficed, treatment by others notwithstanding.

ludofl3x
ludofl3x
-->
@Athias
If that were the case, Civil Unions would've sufficed, treatment by others notwithstanding.

Only if no one else got state sanctioned "marriage" licenses, which I take as your point about the mistake in aligning the church vocab (marriage) with the state law (licensing the unions). Equality is equal across the board. One could argue having separate drinking fountains, bus routes, etc for blacks should also have "sufficed."