Posts in total: 220
  • Lucky
    Lucky avatar
    Debates: 0
    Forum posts: 117
    Lucky avatar
    Lucky
    Rules

- Please treat your fellow players with respect. This game can get heated at times, but toxicity, harassment, and personal insults will not be tolerated.
    - Do not talk about this game while it is ongoing outside of the threads that I have created for this game. Do not discuss other ongoing games in this thread.
    - Cryptography/illegible/tiny text is forbidden. Breadcrumbing is fine and does not break this rule.
    - Provable randomness is not allowed. You can use random.org to make decisions and you can say "I used random.org," but you cannot post screenshots of your results.
    - You may not directly quote any private communication. This includes Role PMs, investigations results, PT messages, etc. You may paraphrase if necessary.
    - Once you're dead, you may no longer post in the thread or in any PTs you have access to.
    - Play to your win condition and remember to have fun.
    - Use the the edit feature will result in a modkill.

Activity & Deadlines

- Prods will be issued after 24 consecutive hours without posting. Prodded players will have 12 hours to post content in the thread before I look for a replacement.
    - Prods will be issued through DebateArts' messaging system.
    - If you anticipate being gone longer than 36 hours, then you may declare Vacation / Limited Access either in the game thread or through PM.
    - Day 1 will have a deadline of 4 days. Day 2+ will have a deadline of 3 days. Extensions may be granted if players request and I see it fit.
    - Night Phases will have a deadline of 24 hours. There will be no extensions for the night phase, but I can accelerate the night if every living player requests it.

Voting, Lynching & Night Actions

- Votes must be made in bold, such as: [Vote: Lucky], [Lucky], [VTNL].
    - No tricks, if I think it's a vote, I'm counting it as one.
    - A player is lynched if they receive a majority of votes (50% of players alive + 1, rounded down).
    - Once a majority vote is reached, the game enters Twilight and any unvotes/votes will not count.
    - If a majority vote is not reached by the end of the deadline, then no one will be lynched.
    - Night actions must be submitted to me by the end of the deadline. If you don't submit an action by the end of the night, then you will forfeit your night action.

Miscellaneous

- If you need to replace out for whatever reason, please do so by PMing me. Do not replace out publicly in the thread or threaten to replace out.
    - Once a replace out request has been made public, the player must stop posting as they are no longer in the game. Players who request replacement are not allowed to rescind their request
    - Make sure you bold all requests to me or if you need to get my attention. I may make a mistake here and there, so don't be afraid to correct me.
    - Punishment for breaking these rules will depend on the severity of the rule broken. Modkills will only be used in extreme situations.
    - Do not abuse any loopholes you may find in my ruleset. If you find one, then I'll just change it to work around the loophole.
    - I'm the mod, so what I say goes. Any situations that come up not explicitly stated in this rule set will be dealt with as I see fit.

Setup Information

NewD3 (as designed by RadiantCowbells):

I am unaware of how to copy images into DebateArt, so please use the above links to access a chart graphing all possible setups. Further explanation below:

Each NewD3 Game will be given a setup that incorporates one mafia role from the top of a column, and then two town roles from a row below the selected mafia role.
    The remaining six roles will be filled in by one mafia goon and five vanilla townies appropriately, to create a 2-mafia and 7-town setup.

All NewD3 games use the Natural Action Resolution system for determining Night action effects. Mafia Roleblocker action takes precedence over a Town Jailkeeper action should that apply.

Mafia are able to communicate in their Private Topic at all times.

Sample role PMs are provided in the setup link.

The roles and their distribution were randomized exactly 1 time.

List of All Possible Setups

Column A & Row 1: Mafia Roleblocker, Mafia Goon, Town Cop, Town Doctor, Vanilla Townie x 5
    Column A & Row 2: Mafia Roleblocker, Mafia Goon, Town Jailkeeper, Town Tracker, Vanilla Townie x 5
    Column A & Row 3: Mafia Roleblocker, Mafia Goon, Town Mason x2, Vanilla Townie x 5
    Column B & Row 1: Mafia Rolecop, Mafia Goon, Town Tracker, Town Friendly Neighbor, Vanilla Townie x 5
    Column B & Row 2: Mafia Rolecop, Mafia Goon, Town Jailkeeper, Town Friendly Neighbor, Vanilla Townie x 5
    Column B & Row 3: Mafia Rolecop, Mafia Goon, Town Tracker, Town Doctor, Vanilla Townie x 5
    Column C & Row 1: Mafia Goon x 2, Town Cop, Vanilla Townie x 6
    Column C & Row 2: Mafia Goon x 2, Town Jailkeeper, Vanilla Townie x 6
    Column C & Row 3: Mafia Goon x 2, Town Mason x2, Vanilla Townie x 5

Ragnar has died in the night. He was a Town Cop.
  • Lucky
    Lucky avatar
    Lucky avatar
    Lucky
    Official Vote Count

airmax1227 [0]:
    Danielle [0]:
    Lunatic [0]:
    coal [0]:
    Zaradi [0]:
    sui_generis [0]:
    oromagi [0]:

Not Voting [7]: airmax1227, Danielle, Lunatic, coal, Zaradi, sui_generis, oromagi

With 7 in play, it takes 4 votes to lynch.

Day 2 ends at 11:00pm EST Wednesday, May 27th.

Mod Note: 96 hour day phases seem to fit better than 72 hour ones with the given player list. I will be continuing to use 96 hour day phases for the rest of the game. I have also already extended this day phase by about 4 hours so that it does not end while people are expected to be occupied with work.

• Lucky
    Lucky avatar
    Lucky avatar
    Lucky
    --> @airmax1227 @coal @Danielle @Lunatic
    ~~~
  • Lucky
    Lucky avatar
    Lucky avatar
    Lucky
    --> @oromagi @sui_generis @Zaradi
    ~~~
  • Danielle
    Danielle avatar
    Debates: 2
    Forum posts: 1,491
    Danielle avatar
    Danielle
    Like I said, a game with all vanillas doesn't interest me at all.

Let me know if you guys play Live tonight and I'll be there. 
  • Zaradi
    Zaradi avatar
    Debates: 4
    Forum posts: 705
    Zaradi avatar
    Zaradi
    I'mma be doing VCA from DP1. Tag me if you need me.
  • Lunatic
    Lunatic avatar
    Debates: 3
    Forum posts: 5,474
    Lunatic avatar
    Lunatic
    VTL Coal, Re: role fishing with the power roles when it was clearly anti-town to do so.
  • Lunatic
    Lunatic avatar
    Debates: 3
    Forum posts: 5,474
    Lunatic avatar
    Lunatic
    --> @Danielle
    Like I said, a game with all vanillas doesn't interest me at all.

Let me know if you guys play Live tonight and I'll be there.

Are you uh, quitting?

• Danielle
    Danielle avatar
    Danielle avatar
    Danielle
    --> @Lunatic
    Are you uh, quitting?

No, that would be a dickish thing to do to Lucky, but I probably won't defend myself aggressively. 

I thought Ragnar would survive the night with a doctor on him. Now I see the whole game is just vanilla townies since there's obviously no doctor and two goons. To be honest I didn't even see that as a potential set-up option. Believing there was a doctor or another mason drove my behavior last DP entirely. So now I'm going to have to reread day phase 1 knowing that mafia knew there was no doctor and try and figure out how they would have behaved/reacted to me knowing that, which I'm not really in the mood to do tonight. Maybe tomorrow.
  • Zaradi
    Zaradi avatar
    Zaradi avatar
    Zaradi
    --> @airmax1227 @oromagi @sui_generis
    You guys need to participate big time. Your DP1 impact was borderline nonexistent. If you're scum, I mean whatever you're gonna die eventually. If you're town, you're in danger of being put in the scum pool simply by POE. You need to start doing shit.
  • Zaradi
    Zaradi avatar
    Zaradi avatar
    Zaradi
    --> @coal @Danielle @Lunatic
    I think it's on us to carry this game as the only people even semi-actively engaging in the game. I know I'm not sold on town!Lunatic, and I don't think coal is sold on town!Lunatic, and Lunatic isn't sold on town!coal, but at this point it's either find a way to work together or just concede and let scum win. And that feels super lame, so we shouldn't do that.

I wanna start pressuring inactives to participate and force them to actually engage in analyzing behavior from last DP. My preferred order is sui -> oro -> airmax in order of most likely to actually respond to pressure to give us content to least likely. What do you think?
  • Zaradi
    Zaradi avatar
    Zaradi avatar
    Zaradi
    --> @coal
    Also I want your thoughts in particular on last DP and Ragnar's flip.
  • oromagi
    oromagi avatar
    Debates: 99
    Forum posts: 4,576
    oromagi avatar
    oromagi
    --> @Lucky
    hi all

put my Mom in hospice tonight,
    family is flying in so availability is going to be sketchy at best

Lucky can replace me if he wants but that may be tricky and I'll try to keep in
    we're not allowed to be with her now and I could use the distraction

Ragnar's actions DP1 totally mystify me.  Does anybody understand what he hoped would happen?

I have no super strong reads but I'm right now I'm down for lynching the argumentatives- TUF or coal

I just discovered  tonight there is a spaceship themed cartoon app of mafia for kids called "amoung us" 
  • coal
    coal avatar
    Forum posts: 1,198
    coal avatar
    coal
    --> @Zaradi
    Everything about this irritates me.  I backed off of Ragnar's lynch because I assumed if you were town, then he must also be town.  I town read you for reasons we both know, and I backed off of Ragnar because I trusted my town read on you. 

I disagree with Danielle's conclusion that there is no doctor in the game.  She is probably right, but the other possibility is that there is a doc and that person just didn't correctly use their role.  So we are in one of two possible setups: 

1. Column A & Row 1: Mafia Roleblocker, Mafia Goon, Town Cop, Town Doctor, Vanilla Townie x 5
    2. Column C & Row 1: Mafia Goon x 2, Town Cop, Vanilla Townie x 6

Ragnar correctly identified that "if mafia have a power role, it is a roleblocker," because he knew that, as cop, those were the only two possible setups.  He must have assumed there was a doctor in the game which was why he claimed.  

The alternative worlds where Mafia has Roleblocker Power Role that were on the table last DP were, **if** mafia has a power role:

1. Column A & Row 1: Mafia Roleblocker, Mafia Goon, Town Cop, Town Doctor, Vanilla Townie x 5
    2. Column A & Row 2: Mafia Roleblocker, Mafia Goon, Town Jailkeeper, Town Tracker, Vanilla Townie x 5
    3. Column A & Row 3: Mafia Roleblocker, Mafia Goon, Town Mason x2, Vanilla Townie x 5

So that meant that Ragnar could have been any one of (a) cop, (b) doctor, (c) jailkeeper, (d) tracker, or (e) mason.  

That was five possible roles.  So to claim, or act like, anyone knew what Ragnar's role was, implies -- without doubt -- an informed perspective. 

That's why, even if your misleading as to whether you were a mason still doesn't matter (which, given your play last DP, is an impossibility), because you were clearly bread crumbing that you had some kind of power role.  So there's a world where I read your behavior as that you were actually trying to draw the NK by implying you were some kind of power role, potentially with some association to Ragnar (read: mason); in which case, what would have happened is that scum would have killed vanilla and not a power role and at least the cop would be alive.  So even though you lied, the effect was pro-town; and that seems to be in line with your intentions.  It didn't work, but it was probably the most pro-town utility thing that happened the last DP.   Which is why I am having a hard time changing my read on you.   If you are asking whether my read on you changes because of the results on Ragnar, I would have to be ignoring the intent and potential effect (even if you couldn't have known that effect), which would be the kind of thing I'd expect scum to do.  I'm not a per se lynch all liars type.  Sometimes town has to lie to prevent a greater harm.  (While it's not relevant because it didn't happen, the more interesting question is how my read on you would have changed if Ragnar flipped scum.  It is for that, and that reason alone, I was damn near certain you were a mason because I can never imagine scum pulling something like that to save their partner at L-1. )

From a scum perspective, there is no world where scum could do anything other than gtfo of Ragnar's lynch, and do so as conspicuously, loudly and dramatically as possible (Look how town I am!  I see the light!  So pro town!  Not on the lynch!  If you disagree with me no follow from me tomorrow!).   Note, of course, you were never on that wagon in the first place, despite having every objective reason to be.  Which is why I thought you were a mason -- which is why I was willing to back off of Ragnar in the first place despite my amply stated desire to VTL him for death.  

The problem is that everything I said about Ragnar's play remains true.   

Which is why there's still potentially a doc in the game, and, as well, potentially a role blocker.  While you read Ragnar differently than I did, Ragnar was at L-1 and it took him claiming a power role for that to change; which is the most anti-town way you can play a power role.  He wasn't counterclaimed, but no one could counterclaim because his role could have been any one of the five listed above.  If he just said, "cop" and then NOT been counterclaimed, then he obviously would have had the doc on him; but Ragnar didn't do that.  He made some nebulous power role claim that seemingly only one player understood it to mean what it meant -- who is today's lynch, and should have been lynched yesterday.  Now the opportunity that has created seems to be defining his new strategy. 

I also think after Ragnar's claim, for scum to remain on his wagon would be difficult to imagine because they'd be paranoid about looking like scum -- because they're scum.  After all, once you know you're scum it's hard to forget about it, which is why slips happen in the first instance.   

I state the above because I can see how a doc remains in the game (potentially) and that person either didn't Doc Ragnar for the same reason he was at L-1, or was roleblocked.  I'm not going to speculate, openly or otherwise, on who that person is.  It's obvious it's not you, but to the extent there is a doc, that person should still be protecting you because of what happened yesterday.   But I think it's at least as likely that a doc was role blocked as it is that the doc just didn't protect Ragnar.  So scum may or may not know who the doc is.  They may have role blocked someone, but it may not have made a difference; which, again, is why Ragnar's play is very, very irritating.  

So I think you know where I'm going with this and it's going to take a lot to change my mind, but I'm 95% set on who I'm VTLing today.  
  • coal
    coal avatar
    coal avatar
    coal
    --> @oromagi
    Damn... I am so sorry.   
  • coal
    coal avatar
    coal avatar
    coal
    I amend this:

She is probably right, but the other possibility is that there is a doc and that person just didn't correctly use their role.  So we are in one of two possible setups: 

To say this instead:

She is probably right, but the other possibility is that there is a doc and that person just didn't correctly use their role (because they weren't paying attention, or because they were paying attention and scum read Ragnar despite his non-claim of a claim),  or was role blocked.  

• coal
    coal avatar
    coal avatar
    coal
    I specifically want everyone's reads on TUF.
  • coal
    coal avatar
    coal avatar
    coal
    I am posting the Day Phase 1 here for my own records. 

As well as these Notable Moments:

1. Notable Moment 1
    2. Notable Moment 2
    3. Notable Moment 3

There are others, but for this DP I think this is what's important. 
  • Zaradi
    Zaradi avatar
    Zaradi avatar
    Zaradi
    --> @coal
    You and I are going to have a nice, long talk in the end game about a few things. I'm still digesting your post.
  • Zaradi
    Zaradi avatar
    Zaradi avatar
    Zaradi
    --> @coal
     you were clearly bread crumbing that you had some kind of power role
    you didn't answer me the first time I asked this, so I'mma ask this again: walk me through where I've bread crumbed I had a PR. Preferably before 532, as I won't accept any post referenced beyond this point.
  • Zaradi
    Zaradi avatar
    Zaradi avatar
    Zaradi
    --> @coal
    I'm not going to speculate, openly or otherwise, on who that person is.  It's obvious it's not you, but to the extent there is a doc, that person should still be protecting you because of what happened yesterday. 
    I'm really not sure why you would say this, as well.
  • coal
    coal avatar
    coal avatar
    coal
    --> @Zaradi
    That's why, even if your misleading as to whether you were a mason still doesn't matter (which, given your play last DP, is an impossibility), because you were clearly bread crumbing that you had some kind of power role.  So there's a world where I read your behavior as that you were actually trying to draw the NK by implying you were some kind of power role, potentially with some association to Ragnar (read: mason); in which case, what would have happened is that scum would have killed vanilla and not a power role and at least the cop would be alive.  So even though you lied, the effect was pro-town; and that seems to be in line with your intentions.  It didn't work, but it was probably the most pro-town utility thing that happened the last DP.   Which is why I am having a hard time changing my read on you.   If you are asking whether my read on you changes because of the results on Ragnar, I would have to be ignoring the intent and potential effect (even if you couldn't have known that effect), which would be the kind of thing I'd expect scum to do.  I'm not a per se lynch all liars type.  Sometimes town has to lie to prevent a greater harm.  (While it's not relevant because it didn't happen, the more interesting question is how my read on you would have changed if Ragnar flipped scum.  It is for that, and that reason alone, I was damn near certain you were a mason because I can never imagine scum pulling something like that to save their partner at L-1. )
    As I said above, you were breadcrumbing that you were a Mason, or at least that's what I got from it, but you didn't do that before Ragnar's "claim". 
  • coal
    coal avatar
    coal avatar
    coal
    --> @Zaradi

You and I are going to have a nice, long talk in the end game about a few things. I'm still digesting your post.

Indicate whether, if at all, your read has changed on TUF; and why or why not.

• coal
    coal avatar
    coal avatar
    coal
    So to claim, or act like, anyone knew what Ragnar's role was, implies -- without doubt -- an informed perspective. 
    Note, the only non-scum informed perspective is mason, which is what I thought you were, for the reasons I stated above, which is why I unvoted Ragnar but only reluctantly.   I suppose that wasn't clear above either -- that was a very stream of consciousness post written late last night.  

That is still my current thinking though.
  • Danielle
    Danielle avatar
    Danielle avatar
    Danielle
    --> @Zaradi
    you didn't answer me the first time I asked this, so I'mma ask this again: walk me through where I've bread crumbed I had a PR. 

You asked this to me last day phase and I answered you. In post #632 you said:

"I'm gonna throw this out there: if Ragnar's lynched today and I get shot tonight, I think there's strong merit to pressuring coal. Because holy shit I don't think I can say it any different way without hardclaiming."

Why don't you just hard claim now.