George Floyd. Thoughts?

Author: Vader

Total: 128
ILikePie5
Debates: 2
ILikePie5
-->
@TheDredPriateRoberts
they got the attention, now it seems in the form of the national guard, more government employees with guns, contraz, well done to them.
It’s gonna cost em Minnesota 
TheDredPriateRoberts
Debates: 0
TheDredPriateRoberts
-->
@ILikePie5
so now the family has hired a private pathologist since they don't like the results of the first autopsy, this should be fun.
Vader
Debates: 30
Vader
-->
@TheDredPriateRoberts
I don’t have a problem with it due to the fact the MPD is gonna obviously try to cover this up like a lot of their killings/cases

ResurgetExFavilla
ResurgetExFavilla
They beat the shit out of a guy in Dallas. Some nerd who tried to defend his shop from looters with a sword. Things are getting crazy.

Warning: graphic
ResurgetExFavilla
ResurgetExFavilla
I'm all for burning down chain stores but people who violently attack civilians should be shot.
RationalMadman
Debates: 564
RationalMadman
-->
@ResurgetExFavilla
Sad thing is that the looters themselves won't probably die from the coronavirus, instead they'll spread it to elderly relatives and neighbours who will take the brunt of this event.

We are seeing what happens when sociopathic society faces apathetic police and politicians. This will be a showdown of two brands of immorality; brutal and impulsive vs cold and calculated. We both know that the latter will win in the end but it's a question of how long it will take.
Alec
Debates: 42
Alec
-->
@ILikePie5
I have a liberal friend who defends the burning of a city down over 1 dead guy.  Liberals overreact so much.  It sucks that they run the urban cities.
TheDredPriateRoberts
TheDredPriateRoberts
Heard something interesting today, apparently they worked together as bouncers or something, George got the cop fired.........this was revenge this wasn't racial.
Danielle
Debates: 3
Danielle

I have a liberal friend who defends the burning of a city down over 1 dead guy. 

Good Lord. You can't fake ignorance like this. 
Danielle
Danielle
-->
@ResurgetExFavilla
I'm all for burning down chain stores but people who violently attack civilians should be shot.

And if they're police, they should be raped, then shot. 
Danielle
Danielle
-->
@ResurgetExFavilla

Let me clarify: if police violently attack civilians, the police should be raped and then shot. 
TheDredPriateRoberts
TheDredPriateRoberts
-->
@Danielle
not sure if you've kept up on the recent happings but yeah ignorance is plentiful, black lives matter right?  so to bring justice to one black man murdered, we'll kill 4 or 5 more, not sure of the current number and we'll burn down some of the businesses and jobs, that'll fix um, right?  Oh and lets defund the police because that couldn't cause any problems or be a bad thing.  they allowed a funeral for this guy, a big one, many with no masks, shaking hands, hugging.....um COVID?  no one else could have funerals because of covid.  they've made a political spectacle over this man's murder.  black lives matter has turned into some kind of warped joke.
Vader
Vader
If police shoot peaceful protesters, then they should be sent to jail and learn the constitution. The police are not the jurors, jury, and not the executioner of someone’s life and they have too much power
Vader
Vader
But not all police are like that. I have a cousin who is in the Chicago Police force and he works with plenty neighborhoods to try to restore police and citizen relations. He was the sponsor of that program and vouched heavily for it
Vader
Vader
But that also doesn’t justify burning down buildings and ruining lives of people. I’ve made a very small $5 donation to a Minneapolis store that was ruined. It’s all I have at the moment. I hear shots outside my house. We should strive to live peaceful, not with anger
Vader
Vader
Reckless violence will never solve any of the worlds problems. If Dems wanna use the “what about Solemani killing” excuse, just stop. Solemani has killed thousands of civilians before and nothing was stopping him. Violence should always be avoided, no matter what. Solemani was a terrorist. The Democrats poster child, Obama, used violence on terrorists as well. No one questioned that. Solemani was a terrorist to his people. 
Barney
Debates: 50
Barney
-->
@Danielle
In review of #101, while I abhor any calls for sexual violence on anyone, no action is to be taken.

The key thing here is context. There were four pages leading up to it, with it seemingly distilled from larger statements in #78. Within the violence section of the CoC, it falls under the hyperbole clause, as it is addressing public figures (the cops who killed or served as accomplices, or others who choose to do similar...).

If taken out of context it would skirt dangerously close to violent extremism. However it is clearly not saying all cops, much like a call to shoot looters is not saying to shoot all protesters. People need to be free to say both things (so long as they don't start spamming them), and other people are free to disagree with the statements and prove them wrong.

-Ragnar, DM
TheDredPriateRoberts
TheDredPriateRoberts
George Floyd and Derek Chauvin "bumped heads" while working at nightclub, former coworker says
The Floyd family says they believe what happened on May 25 was in part personal.

interesting because the claim was they didn't know each other since the start of all this, I wonder what else was a lie and they got wrong.

could it be this was personal and not a cop racist thing but just a bad person thing?  if so doesn't that mean the deaths, looting and riots can't be legitimized (as if they can anyway).

Greyparrot
Debates: 4
Greyparrot
-->
@Vader
That cop killed Floyd.
Christen
Debates: 5
Christen
-->
@Danielle
@Greyparrot
@TheDredPriateRoberts
@blamonkey
@ILikePie5
At the time of writing this comment, this youtube video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xDhtUpGdn_0 came out less than 23 hours ago about how police should use as little force as possible when apprehending suspects, not as much justifiable force as possible.

I watched the whole thing (it's 28 to 30 minutes long), and if any of you don't feel like watching the whole thing, then just at least watch the first 11 minutes of it, since that is where they talk about the most important stuff, and the most important things it talks about are the difference between justifiable force and necessary force, as well as how police can sometimes be too quick to rely on their weapons (handgun, taser, baton, pepper spray, etc) instead of using other means to apprehend suspects without causing any harm to them, such as talking a person down, and using grappling holds to effectively restrain someone without harming them.

Justifiable force, in this case, would be the amount of force a police officer can legally get away with using, so if I am a police officer, and I am tasked with apprehending a dangerous suspect that raises their fists and start punching me to death, I would be "justified" in killing them with my gun immediately. However, depending on the suspect's size, speed, and strength, it may not be necessary to kill them immediately, and instead I could try to disarm him, take them down, and restrain them safely without getting them or myself hurt.

This is what happened back in 2014, and this was also discussed in that video, 15 minutes into said video, where an officer was trying to apprehend a dangerous suspect after the suspect attacked someone else, the suspect got into a fight with the officer, the officer ended up on the ground, with the suspect on top of him, beating him to death, and the officer drew his gun and shot him twice, killing him. There's an article about it here: http://archive.vn/oK4gN

The youtube video then goes on to suggest that the police officers use different grappling holds to keep the suspect under control without harming them, instead of being so quick to use deadly force, and that police officers should be trained to use these effective grappling holds more often. Maybe George Floyd would still be alive today if his killers held him down this way instead of choking him with their feet.
BiblicalChristian101
Debates: 7
BiblicalChristian101
I wish we knew how the policeman approached Floyd on the issue of the counterfeit. If Floyd would not have been on drugs the situation may have been different.
BiblicalChristian101
Debates: 7
BiblicalChristian101
-->
@Danielle
How about people who resist arrest?
TheDredPriateRoberts
TheDredPriateRoberts
-->
@Christen
those should be one of many new ways to train and learn, but how and what they are taught are seemingly different.  I don't know so I can't understand how and why certain things happen with police encounters.  In several videos I wonder why they just don't wait it out, eventually the person will tire or give in but the police often try to end the situation as fast as possible.  Maybe it's been studied and it makes sense to end things as fast as possible, I don't know.
Let's be honest some cops are so fat they couldn't be physical with anyone and would need a taser or gun.

again I maybe wrong, but if someone hurts themselves while handcuffed, under police control then the police are help responsible/liable for their injuries.  Point being I'm not sure these lines are all that clear.

I forget the guys name in NYC who they were trying to arrest for selling single cigarettes on the street.  How long should they have waited for him to comply and after that time period what should they have done?  A hugely complex issue.  Far more than just yelling de-fund the police.
ethang5
Debates: 1
ethang5
Both Trump and George Floyd are victims of rogue law enforcement officers breaking the law.

The bad apples at the FBI tried to do to Trump exactly what the bad apples at the MN police dept did to George Floyd.

See any liberals calling for reform at the FBI? Trump is white, so he can't possibly be a victim.

zedvictor4
Debates: 22
zedvictor4
-->
@Danielle
I don't know much about George Floyd....Was he a perpetual saint?....Because he was allegedly killed by a "White Cop".

Was the light skinned policeman a perpetual sinner because he allegedly  killed a dark skinned guy?

Given that racism is far from exclusive to one particular skin tone,  wasn't the ensuing anti social behaviour and violence,  just as racially motivated and socially abhorrent as the catalyst itself.

So what or who specifically, was the mob violence and anger really aimed at? 
sadolite
sadolite
I generally don't give much thought to people who live a life of crime and drug abuse, as their misery is 100% self inflicted. No one can control the consequences of their poor life choices.  Even the most trivial poor life choice can end in death. People have died for stealing a dollar. George Floyd's death is just an accumulation of criminal poor life choices that finally caught up to him. If he wasn't breaking the law and cleaned up his act he would still be alive. People like George Floyd are the only reason the police exist. He and all people like him are responsible for the existence of the very entity that killed him. Without people like George Floyd around we wouldn't need the police. Instead of saying fuck the police, quit fucking breaking the law and we wont need them. Until such time, fuck George Floyd and all like him that make the police  necessary. Those are my thoughts. The police don't need to be retrained and reformed, society does.

10 days later

ebuc
ebuc
-->
@sadolite
...."The police don't need to be retrained and reformed, society does."....

Uhh, police are a part of society.  It is hard to retrain those who are programed to think with stupidity, time and time again, irrespective of their social position in society.

Add Geroge Floyd to a long list of injustices that like many things, is so obvious people reach their limits of injustice before they speak out ---express themselves---.

Thank God we live in USA. Only 7  people { white and young } were killed at Kent State in the 60's.

Add Sadolite to a long list of those who lack empathy of those of who make the best choices we can from the cards we are dealt by a society that has so much stupidity, ignorance, racism, and a long list of negatives.  ..."Cant we all just get along?".....R. King

No we can not, not as long as societies priorities is .."rat eat rat world"...Founder who stole McDonalds from McDonald brothers.

It has to be all for one and one for all, or humanity will not suvive 500 - 1000 ore years on Earth, and Earth is the only option so get mars and beyond out of your head, and true peace and love in your heart.
sadolite
sadolite
-->
@ebuc
I posted my thoughts, your words do nothing to change those thoughts.  Although I would like to change one thing. Where I  said The police don't need to be retrained, society does."  I would like to change that to "The police don't need to be retrained, you do" And when I say "YOU" I mean it in a rhetorical way not directed at you.
ebuc
ebuc
-->
@sadolite
Stalemate 
sadolite
sadolite
-->
@ebuc
It wasn't a debate or a competition