Why Is Christianity #1?

Author: ethang5

Total: 106
zedvictor4
Debates: 22
zedvictor4
-->
@ethang5
"Religious performance" is relative to sexual performance, that is to say birth rate, and currently Christianity is being out performed.

If you don't produce the kids then you cannot produce the Christians.
RationalMadman
Debates: 565
RationalMadman
-->
@ethang5
The founding of Liberia in the early 1800s was motivated by the domestic politics of slavery and race in the United States as well as by U.S. foreign policy interests. In 1816, a group of white Americans founded the American Colonization Society (ACS) to deal with the “problem” of the growing number of free blacks in the United States by resettling them in Africa. The resulting state of Liberia would become the second (after Haiti) black republic in the world at that time.
Athias
Debates: 20
Athias
-->
@oromagi
I definitely want to see that argument. 
Whenever you're ready.
ludofl3x
Debates: 0
ludofl3x
-->
@ethang5
All I wanted to know is how does the atheist resolve the dissonance between Christianity's unrivaled performance and his poor opinion of it
Link the data on the "performance" of Christianity and we can discuss the potential reasons, as it stands all I see are claims, and no definition, really, of "performance." The trends in Christianity lag behind the growth rate of Islam, as has been pointed out to you already without response. Otherwise, my opinion of Christianity and its popularity are entirely unrelated, there isn't dissonance there at all. It's like asking someone to resolve the "dissonance" between TItanic making all that money while managing to be a movie that person doesn't like. 
Dr.Franklin
Debates: 32
Dr.Franklin
-->
@ethang5
yes I do, europe is all of history and that was christian
zedvictor4
zedvictor4
-->
@Dr.Franklin
yes I do, europe is all of history and that was christian.
What the F does that mean?

You've exceeded your one syllable rule and look where it's got you.
Dr.Franklin
Dr.Franklin
-->
@zedvictor4

your wondering why europe(christendom) was spread across the world and was successful?
RoderickSpode
RoderickSpode
Christianity is not a product of colonialism. About the same time the Gospel spread into Europe, it also moved in the opposite direction into Asia. We just don't have much recorded history on this. It is believed that Thomas was part of the missionary movement into Asia (India). There have been various Christian enclaves throughout Asia (Southeast Asia, China, Korea), like the Miao  ethnic group in China.

The interesting part of this is that there have never really existed Christian religious States in Asia. The Christian movements in Asia were generally in opposition to government, whether it's a communist (atheist) State, or a government with an established non-Christian religion. And Christians in Asia generally stay out of politics. Different national and ethnic dynamics.

Europe is a relatively tiny continent that had expansionist visionaries. Peoples who lived in larger continents felt less of a need to expand, at least globally. China would be a good example of a powerful Asian empire that sought expansion, but mostly within the Asian continent. The Native Americans occupied the large continents within the Americas, and there was really no physical need to expand beyond.

So the question is, were the seafarers of Europe motivated to expand beyond their shores by Christianity? Or would they have done so anyway had they remained pagan? If it's the former, then we at least have Christianity to thank for where many of us are now. If the latter, then the idea of Christianity's growth being a product of colonialism is shot.
zedvictor4
zedvictor4
-->
@Dr.Franklin
Well....People spread across the world and Europe became Europe when a decision was reached to refer to a particular area of the Earth's surface as Europe and though the boundaries of Europe may have varied slightly over time, I would suggest that it never extended across the entire planet.... Certain popular religious mythologies emanated from a region outside of Europe and were variously adopted and adapted as the basis of or as a part of  social systems and social governance.  The successful spread of what became European people and their adopted religions and social culture is a great deal more to do with the ingenuity of the people than it is to do with their adopted religions...The spread of European culture and adopted religions was successful, relative to the success of Europeans. Just as the success of other similar cultures and religions was relative to the success of other  people who had adopted  modified versions of the same basic tenet. Islam for instance. 

So, the spread, popularity and therefore assumed success of any culture and it's adopted religion is still no more than what it has become, and whilst  33% of the Earths population has reputedly adopted Christianity as a basic social tenet, Christianity has nonetheless not successfully spread to the other 66%....Though how such statistics are reached is open to question, I would suggest that 33%/66% would not necessarily be reflected in a popular census.

And I would reiterate the point that the future success of any religion will be based upon birth rate rather than the religion itself.

And of course, none of the above can actually validate the original mythological basis of any popular or less popular religious creation hypothesis.

Dr.Franklin
Dr.Franklin
-->
@zedvictor4
off topic
zedvictor4
zedvictor4
-->
@Dr.Franklin
Nope...bang on topic.

Though more than one syllable.... so perhaps beyond comprehension.
Dr.Franklin
Dr.Franklin
-->
@zedvictor4
the fact is that why christianity spread is because of Europes domincance over history
zedvictor4
zedvictor4
-->
@Dr.Franklin
As I stated, Europe is simply a delineated area of a map.  Christianity and  associated similar religions spread variously with people, primarily from another region otherwise delineated as the Arabian Peninsula of Asia.  At the same time other well established religious philosophies dominated elsewhere. Hence 66% Non-Christian.

Perhaps Europeans just made better sailors.
Dr.Franklin
Dr.Franklin
-->
@zedvictor4
not true, as of the 17th century, only europe was christian
zedvictor4
zedvictor4
-->
@Dr.Franklin
Not true.

Why would the spread of Christianity  from the "Holy Land" only head northwards. The Coptic Christians of Egypt and North Africa were well established by the 2nd century.
RationalMadman
Debates: 565
RationalMadman
-->
@RoderickSpode
You do understand that India and Sri Lanka were colonies of Britain (Sri Lanka previously was one of both Portugal and The Netherlands).

India back then included what is now Pakistan and India. So, when you say that Christianity appeared in Asia and wasn't a result of Colonialism, observe where in Asia it appeared and study the history. Mother Teresa didn't magically bring Christianity to India, it was already there from before as the British Colonists had begun to build churches and were about to enforce Christianity as the national religion before needing to pull out due to depleted resoruces post-WWII, which Gandhi's activities even more pressured them to leave for.
Dr.Franklin
Dr.Franklin
-->
@zedvictor4
because nobody expanded south
RoderickSpode
RoderickSpode
-->
@RationalMadman

You do understand that India and Sri Lanka were colonies of Britain (Sri Lanka previously was one of both Portugal and The Netherlands).

India back then included what is now Pakistan and India. So, when you say that Christianity appeared in Asia and wasn't a result of Colonialism, observe where in Asia it appeared and study the history. Mother Teresa didn't magically bring Christianity to India, it was already there from before as the British Colonists had begun to build churches and were about to enforce Christianity as the national religion before needing to pull out due to depleted resoruces post-WWII, which Gandhi's activities even more pressured them to leave for.

Yes. I'm not arguing that there was no colonialism in Asia, or that churches like the Catholic church were not established in Asia. But colonialism is not what brought Christianity into Asia.

Like I had mentioned, the Gospel was carried into Asia around the same time it was carried into Europe. Thomas is believed to have been a part of that. So Christianity was not a product of colonization in Asia anymore than Europe was a product of Israelite colonization. It was brought in without domination.

This is partially evidenced by various Christian enclaves found throughout the Asian continent who's history precedes European colonization.

China who for years has a continual growth of Christianity began in underground house churches. Villages where the majority were Christians were not part of denominations. They were just Christians who had to remain underground because of persecution. A village may have had only one Bible, and had to pass the pages around the village for each household to make handwritten copies.
zedvictor4
zedvictor4
-->
@Dr.Franklin
LOL.

People only expand if they eat too much.
Dr.Franklin
Dr.Franklin
-->
@zedvictor4
true that
Outplayz
Outplayz
-->
@Dr.Franklin
Bc i luv you... i just want to point out you're wrong. Christianity will never apply to me. But i am happy it applies to you. In a way, you are a NPC in my world, but that doesn't mean you aren't a character with your own story. I luv it.... but sorry, not exactly what you are doesn't apply to me. 
Dr.Franklin
Dr.Franklin
-->
@Outplayz
wtf
Outplayz
Outplayz
-->
@Dr.Franklin
Debates: 28
Forum posts: 7,551
Added06.26.20 12:45PM
-->@Outplayz
wtf

I know right. I was just peaking at that moment, sorry bro. Still am tho... to be honest. Two glasses of some good whiskey with a small bowl, small... two or one hit bowls... you are so good. I feel sorry for the rest that can't enjoy this... You're being robbed by something man. It shouldn't be illegal to feel good. Fck BLM, bring me ALM. Bc if some BLM people feel down, so do i... include me into this i matter business. 

Dr.Franklin
Dr.Franklin
-->
@Outplayz
bruh
Outplayz
Outplayz
-->
@Dr.Franklin
bruh
I know i know... it wasn't me yesterday. That was my Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde moment. I luv smoking and drinking together... but, i can only handle it once a week. I'll get in trouble if i do it anymore than that... and, good thing i don't have/use social media. 
Dr.Franklin
Dr.Franklin
-->
@Outplayz
uh...ok
Outplayz
Outplayz
-->
@Dr.Franklin
Haven't talked to you in awhile. I guess i was just saying hi. Glad to see you doing good here. Peace man. 
Dr.Franklin
Dr.Franklin
-->
@Outplayz
yeah peace to you!
zedvictor4
zedvictor4
-->
@Dr.Franklin
Yep, and peace to all your fellow Abrahamists also...And all the other non- Christians too...Which is the  majority of the Worlds population.
Dr.Franklin
Dr.Franklin
-->
@zedvictor4
abhramists are the majority