Author: BearMan

Read-only
Total: 112
BearMan
Debates: 16
BearMan
-->
@Barney
You mean like a check and balance system?
MisterChris
Debates: 45
MisterChris
-->
@Barney
Useful paradigm. thanks
Barney
Debates: 50
Barney
-->
@BearMan
It could double as that. We don't have enough active voters to make it meaningful, but it would allow the possibility of someone else stepping in should either judge get unexpectedly busy.

By the way, what will you do in the event of a tie?
BearMan
BearMan
-->
@Barney
There are no ties. Ties are not allowed, judges have to choose one side. Each judge is assigned to different debates. I also sent you the ruleset if you want to take a look.
Discipulus_Didicit
Debates: 9
Discipulus_Didicit
-->
@BearMan
I can't guarantee I will be able to give my full attention to this, /out sry.
BearMan
BearMan
-->
@Barney
I don't think you understand. The judges are supposed to rule the debate. They are the ones voting. The voting type is judicial decision. So basically the judges are the voters/moderators.
Barney
Debates: 50
Barney
-->
@BearMan
I do understand. I suggested a bit of a failsafe being available.
MisterChris
MisterChris
-->
@BearMan
Ragnar is saying that all judges + proctors should be listed as judges in the judicial decision, that way if one dies of  spontaneous combustion or something we have a failsafe. 
whiteflame
Debates: 27
whiteflame
-->
@Vader
@That1User
@MisterChris
@seldiora
I'll follow Ragnar's lead. I've been nominated to judge your debates, so you should have some idea of what I'll be using as my paradigm.

Generally, I tend to award points based solely on arguments. Conduct and S&G have to be egregious to earn points from me, but each follows the usual: I need to see some pretty obvious insults to award conduct, and S&G only comes with some pretty severe difficulties involved in either reading or understanding of your argument.

Sources are rare for me to award, but will happen if one side is providing significantly more effective sourcing to their arguments. Note I say effective and not more - having more sources will not necessarily get you this point. If the debate over a single source results in a win for one side, that might be sufficient reason for me to award this.

As for arguments, I could take a while to explain this, but I'll keep it brief.

To start, I understand technical arguments. If you want to present things like topicality or kritiks in a debate, so long as they are within the rules the debaters themselves establish, I'm good with that. That being said, since I know how these arguments work, I expect that those of you who choose to use them will as well. Pointing out that your opponent doesn't understand or address one of these points correctly won't work well for you if the points don't stand well themselves. If I see a kritik without a violation, for example, it's not much of a kritik.

I don't like the term "Tabula Rasa" to describe judges and voters. None of us are clean slates; we come in with biases and those can and will affect how we see certain arguments. That being said, no matter how problematic I see certain arguments as being, I will not make arguments for the debaters. If I don't see it in the debate, it's not going to factor in the debate. That being said, I do not subscribe to the notion that a dropped argument is effectively held as perfect. I will compare points based on their merits, and while those merits can be reduced by responses, a well-warranted, well-explained point with a lot of debate over it may still stand out over a weakly examined point that goes cold dropped. All this being said, I will call out debaters on falsehoods or faulty analyses that go unaddressed, even if they do not feature as part of my actual decision.

I will go through the arguments presented by both sides and try to cover them all in my analyses. You can expect that I will at least give attention to as many points as I feel have merit, and will at least provide reasons why I'm not considering other points. I will talk about who wins a point, but, in line with what I just said, someone outright winning an argument isn't necessarily going to have more strength than a slight win on a different argument, depending on the impact and analysis. 

I'm from a microbiology background, just finished my PhD. While I, like Ragnar, appreciate brevity as well, I'm more focused on organization and clarity (not that he doesn't, I'm just saying I favor these). If it takes longer to explain something in order to achieve those aims, don't hesitate to go long. I'm far more appreciative of a few thoroughly explained arguments than a dozen rushed points with limited analysis. Headings help, use them, and if/when you do change those headings, provide the means to track both why you're doing it and make it possible for me to trace it back.

Finally, I'll bookend what I think is most important in the debate with things I expect at the beginning and end: clear burdens and weighing analysis. I can't tell you how many debates have been made so much more difficult for me to judge due to a lack of one or both of these things. Those without the former will force me to establish the burdens myself, and chances are, you won't like what I come up with. Those without the latter will force me to apply weigh each of their points based on my perception, which, again, you won't like. In particular, when it comes to weighing analysis, you're going to come off far stronger to me if you build in some assumptions regarding what your opponent may be winning. You shouldn't assume they're winning any point, but you're going to have a far harder time winning your debates against good opponents if you can't engage in that basic "even if" analysis of your opponents' arguments. 

If you have any questions, feel free to let me know.

MisterChris
MisterChris
-->
@whiteflame
I can sense the NSDA in you. Thanks for the paradigm!
BearMan
BearMan
-->
@MisterChris
Ohh. Yeah that seems smart.
MisterChris
MisterChris
-->
@BearMan
Yea, probably won't need to have done it but it's a good idea
whiteflame
Debates: 27
whiteflame
-->
@MisterChris
NSDA definitely features, though this has morphed a bit as I turned to British Parli.
MisterChris
MisterChris
-->
@whiteflame
Fair enough. The whole "even if" thing + "burdens" REALLY brought me back to PFD days
warren42
Debates: 2
warren42
-->
@whiteflame
I'm willing to judge if you need one and though my debating and judging on here is limited I think whiteflame might be willing to attest to me being competent, at the very least. I had a decent track record on DDO and lost a 3-2 split decision in state final round for PF in high school (the team that beat us went on to get 5th at Nats that year) and have judged at least one or two tournaments at the high school level each year since.
Vader
Debates: 30
Vader
-->
@whiteflame
Gracias
BearMan
BearMan
-->
@warren42
Our spots are filled, but you can be a vote moderator (checking if the votes are competent enough)
Dr.Franklin
Debates: 32
Dr.Franklin
looks like im late
BearMan
BearMan
-->
@Dr.Franklin
We still have debating spots if you want. One more.
Dr.Franklin
Debates: 32
Dr.Franklin
-->
@BearMan
ok lets do it
BearMan
BearMan
Debaters:
1. Intelligence_06 
2. Speedrace
3. SupaDudz
4. MisterChris
5. seldiora
6. That1User
7. Lemming
8. Crocodile
9.Nikunj_sanghai
10. Dr.Franklin
Judges:
1. Ragnar
2. WhiteFlame
Proctors:
1. BearMan

The roster has been complete. The tournament begins. Now.

BearMan
BearMan
-->
@Speedrace
Can you shut down this post, or like make it only read.