Total: 72
3RU7AL
Debates: 3
3RU7AL
-->
@Mopac
If reality doesn't conform to your fantasies about what reality should be, and you refuse to accept anything other than your own will, it naturally follows that you will be in torment.
And by your logic, since I am not currently "tortured", "tormented" or "despondent" then NTURTTGgTS must be bestowing it's implicit blessing on me?
Mopac
Debates: 4
Mopac
-->
@3RU7AL
It is very easy to become desensitized through repeating a sin, whereas at one point one might feel conviction, through repetition one becomes numb. That is what is meant when the scriptures refer to some "having their conscience seared with a hot iron"

3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@Mopac
It is very easy to become desensitized through repeating a sin, whereas at one point one might feel conviction, through repetition one becomes numb. That is what is meant when the scriptures refer to some "having their conscience seared with a hot iron"
Thanks for the dime-store psychoanalysis.
Mopac
Mopac
-->
@3RU7AL
Thank you for not denying but even implying that you refuse to accept anything but your own will.

The Truth is God. If you believe your will is greater than God, it is not God that condemns you to hell. In putting your faith in lying vanities, you have forsaken salvation. To choose idolatry is to reject God. To reject God is to choose death over life. It was God who gave you the ability to choose to be a walking corpse. A logic zombie. To be undead. 

If God was such a tyrant, he would not have given you the ability to reject him. Of course choosing hell is foolish. Make no mistake, that is a choice of yours. You have been given the ability to choose foolishness. 

Is that what you want?

There is still time to change your mind, but know this... there is no promise of tomorrow.

3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@Mopac
...you refuse to accept anything but your own will.
It is impossible for me to know anyone's will except my own.

If some GOD($) want me to know something specific (like their "will"), I'm sure they're perfectly capable of explaining it to me themselves.
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@Mopac
If God was such a tyrant, he would not have given you the ability to reject him.
(IFF) GOD($) WAS OMNISCIENT (THEN) THEY WOULD HAVE KNOW THIS WOULD HAPPEN

GOD($): HEY, I WANT HUMANS TO BELIEVE IN ME!

ANGEL($): OH, GREAT, ARE YOU GOING TO TALK TO EACH ONE OF THEM?

GOD($): NO, I WAS THINKING I SHOULD WRITE A BOOK!

ANGEL($): WHAT IF THEY DON'T BELIEVE THE BOOK?  I MEAN, YOU'RE A LITTLE LATE TO THE GAME, I HEAR GILGAMESH IS EPIC!

GOD($): IF THEY DON'T BELIEVE MY BOOK THEN FUCK THEM!

ANGEL($): THAT SEEMS A BIT HARSH.  IF YOU ALREADY KNOW THAT MOST OF THEM WON'T BELIEVE AN OLD BOOK, SHOULDN'T YOU ALSO TALK TO THEM EACH AS INDIVIDUALS?  I MEAN, IF YOU WROTE THE BOOK TO CONVICE HUMANS TO BELIEVE IN YOU AND YOU ALREADY KNOW THAT MOST OF THEM WON'T BELIEVE YOU, MAYBE WRITE A BETTER BOOK?

GOD($): WELL, OF COURSE I COULD DO THAT, BUT THAT WOULD MAKE IT TOO EASY FOR THEM.  IMAGINE WHAT THIS PLACE WOULD LOOK LIKE IF EVERY HUMAN EVER BORN WAS GRANTED ACCESS!!

ANGEL($): YOU MAKE A GOOD POINT.  THIS GIANT GOLD CUBE (12,000 furlongs per side) ISN'T EXACTLY "INFINITE"!!
Mopac
Mopac
-->
@3RU7AL
You say it is impossible, but it is not.

Conform your will to The Truth. What does this look like? Thanksgiving rather than entitlement. Peace with what is rather than anxiety over fantasy. Spiritual sobriety rather than to be drunk on one's delusion.

Everything about True Religion is practical. If it is all in the head, it is a dead faith. When the head and the heart unite, that is True Religion. There is no Orthodoxy without Orthopraxy.

3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@Mopac
Conform your will to The Truth.
I've already accomplished this, in-fact, my will and the truth are indistinguishable.
Mopac
Mopac
-->
@3RU7AL
It is pretty bold of you to declare that you have a pure heart.

If it were true, you would no doubt be a saint. 

The words you express spring forth from the abundance of your heart. Though I do not know your heart, I can at least discern from the fruit that your heart is not pure. If it were, you wouldn't mock the things you are unwilling to understand.

A pure heart is humble. Rather than having a humble heart, your heart is full of pride. 
I can at least discern this much.

3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@Mopac
Though I do not know your heart, I can at least discern from the fruit that your heart is not pure.
I'd suggest that if your heart was impure, you might easily mistake a pure heart for an impure heart.
Mopac
Mopac
-->
@3RU7AL

"All the ways of a man are clean in his own eyes; but the LORD weigheth the spirits.
Commit thy works unto the LORD, and thy thoughts shall be established.
The LORD hath made all things for himself: yea, even the wicked for the day of evil.
Every one that is proud in heart is an abomination to the LORD: though hand join in hand, he shall not be unpunished.
By mercy and truth iniquity is purged: and by the fear of the LORD men depart from evil."

3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@Mopac
By mercy and truth iniquity is purged: and by the fear of the LORD men depart from evil.
Good thing we're such great pals.
Mopac
Mopac
-->
@3RU7AL
"Cast out the scorner, and contention shall go out; yea, strife and reproach shall cease. He that loveth pureness of heart, for the grace of his lips the king shall be his friend. The eyes of the LORD preserve knowledge, and he overthroweth the words of the transgressor."
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@Mopac
Higher people hear of the Tao
They diligently practice it
Average people hear of the Tao
They sometimes keep it and sometimes lose it
Lower people hear of the Tao
They laugh loudly at it
If they do not laugh, it would not be the Tao

Therefore a proverb has the following:
The clear Tao appears unclear
The advancing Tao appears to retreat
The smooth Tao appears uneven
High virtue appears like a valley
Great integrity appears like disgrace
Encompassing virtue appears insufficient
Building virtue appears inactive
True substance appears inconstant
The great square has no corners
The great vessel is late in completion
The great music is imperceptible in sound
The great image has no form
The Tao is hidden and nameless
Yet it is only the Tao
That excels in giving and completing everything
Mopac
Mopac
-->
@3RU7AL
If you like the Tao Te Ching, I recommend the book by Abbot Damascene at St Herman's Monastery "Christ The Eternal Tao"

It is really a brilliant book.
Mopac
Mopac
-->
@3RU7AL
Waddaya know, hosted online.

Though I recommend buying the book from St Herman's press of course, as that would support the monastery.

Castin
Debates: 0
Castin
-->
@3RU7AL
OR, perhaps they believe "YHWH" IS REAL and just don't give a flying flip.
So like, you're positing an atheist who thinks God is real but doesn't "believe" in him in the sense that I don't believe in fascism or Vladimir Putin or McDonald's 10:30 AM breakfast curfew? That would be an interesting take on "disbelief" in God, I suppose.
Tradesecret
Debates: 2
Tradesecret
-->
@3RU7AL
What none of you ever really get is the flip side of the picture you paint. If the presumption that God is good holds true, then God will be seen to be good by those who love him and evil by those who don't.
Why did "YHWH" create hell?
God created Hell for the Devil and his angels. 
Tradesecret
Tradesecret
-->
@3RU7AL
Is it wrong to demand or request fealty? When would it be right and when would it be wrong?  Are there times when such a thing is warranted? 
Loyalty and respect must be EARNED.

It cannot be DEMANDED.

The other dodgy thing about this comment is - imagine if we applied to this to our own world - and yes I think it is ok to do that. When the government says - do not kill or do not rape or do not have sex with children under the age of consent - if the government says - hey when you break these laws - the implication is - the punishment will - be life in prison or the death penalty or a great big fine - are we able to make the statement - the state demands loyalty to its laws based upon pain of the punishment?"
This is an excellent observation and highlights a key distinction between your DOGMATIC (authoritarian) thinking and the alternative.
Of course it can be demanded. This is what every state does in the world today. There is not one STATE that says to its citizens - you can do whatever you want - you don't owe me loyalty. don't pay taxes - spit at the police yad yada. 

Respect and  loyalty don't have to be earned on every occasion.   Parent's don't need to earn respect for their children to obey. Police don't have to earn people's respect for them to be police officers. While it is true that in some cases - loyalty and respect do need to be earned - this is not how it is ON EVERY OCCASION. 

God does not need to earn your respect. Nor does he need to earn your loyalty to him. what a ridiculous thing to think or to say.  It is like saying to the oxygen that we breathe - I am not going to breathe your air until you have earned my respect. 

19 days later

Lemming
Debates: 6
Lemming
-->
@3RU7AL
So I Googled this because I didn't know what it was about, but =/= means "Not equal to" then?

Well, I suppose that atheists 'doesn't equal 'creed any more than 'theist equals 'creed.
It's just another identifier to be used in tandem with other identifiers, definitions, context and so on.
Tradesecret
Tradesecret
-->
@zedvictor4
And I assume that Stephens' source is the Christian Bible and his interpretation thereof...Just as yours is.
There you would be incorrect.

My interpretation is not my own per se.  Yes,  I am able to translate it from the original languages and interpret it according to it context and cultural nuances. My interpretation is in accord with scholars and academics and theologians.  I do not put a unique spin on it. In fact one of the checks and balances of  - especially older literature is when the there is a general consensus of interpretation. 

Novel interpretations generally don't go very far, especially by people who have not been trained in the literature, but if such appear as they invariably do, then there is much discussion by peers - I am sure you have heard of peer group reviews. This occurs within biblical language studies as well. 

Stephen is self acknowledged in his interpretation. He is aware that he chooses to read and ask questions of passages himself.  Fine, so far as it goes. But when his interpretations are novel as they generally are, and inconsistent with anyone over the years in academia studies then it is well to be wary of it.  Theologians are quite diverse in their views. They range from atheists to fundamentalists. They are liberal, conservative, and everywhere between. They take in people from different religions.  Yet most of Stephen's notions do  not fit within any of these ranges. His are outside of what is considered balanced.  

My views accord within the normal and acceptable ranges. In other words, if we were speaking science, my views are within the establishment and Stephens' would be the pseudo-scientist.  I would be the evolutionist and he would be the creationist.  

zedvictor4
Debates: 22
zedvictor4
-->
@Tradesecret
So am I to assume that your source is not necessarily the Christian Bible...But more so the diverse views/interpretations of other theologians?...Never really thinking for yourself.

I would suggest that in terms of his questioning  literally, Stephen is as much a theologian as any academic is.

Isn't it just simply a case of who you prefer to listen to and who you would rather ignore?
Stephen
Stephen
-->
@Tradesecret
And I assume that Stephens' source is the Christian Bible and his interpretation thereof...Just as yours is.
There you would be incorrect.   My interpretation is not my own per se
That is what I have told you all along.  You have been told to turn to a chapter and verse. Had it read to you. Then had it explained  to you and in your own words  you have  simply " passed it on",  without  question. and you are still being trained that way aren't you  Reverend  #20

My interpretation is in accord with scholars and academics and theologians. 

A few  examples of this claim would be nice. Which ones?  And  what parts of their work and research " is in accord with your own interpretation" of scripture? 

I do not put a unique spin on it. In fact one of the checks and balances of  - especially older literature is when the there is a general consensus of interpretation.

Any examples of the "older literature" that causes you to believe that your interpretation is correct?  Such as  Pope Leo X  "It has served us wellthis myth of Christ

No, you won't accept this quote at all will you  and  from a Pope  no less, because it doesn't fit with your own "interpretation" or dogma, does it? 

Stephen is self acknowledged in his interpretation. He is aware that he chooses to read and ask questions of passages himself. 
Fine, so far as it goes. But when his interpretations are novel as they generally are,
What are my interpretations Pastor Tradesecrete#20  ?  

I  believe that I have raised questions that Christians have never raised for themselves that spring from their own scriptures. These are usually the ones they choose  to ignore or have  been intentionally and purposely  steered away from;   such as here as YOU have done here for example   #1 <<<<<<<<<<<<<<< this question comes from your OWN   biblical claims as a Pastor and Chaplin#20  And you are ignoring it. 

Theologians are quite diverse in their views.

They are and thankfully so. W'd never have our minds stretched , expanded or tested would we? 

Yet most of Stephen's notions do  not fit within any of these ranges. His are outside of what is considered balanced. 
Just what are "my" notions? 

My views accord within the normal and acceptable ranges. In other words, if we were speaking science, my views are within the establishment

No they are not. I have asked you many to times to simply explain to me scientifically  how then can a man walk on water, cure a blindman remotely from miles away and how can a one man bring back to life  so called dead rotten stinking corpses that have been lying in there graves for days, weeks months and even thousands of years WITHOUT relying on so called miracles and the supernatural, as the scriptures will have us believe. 

Failing that, show me where one single scientists has brought back to life one single human being that has been dead and  stinking and rotting and buried in the ground for  days? 

and Stephens' would be the pseudo-scientist.  I would be the evolutionist and he would be the creationist. 

I have never claimed to be any type of scientist.  I simply scrutinize and question the scriptures, the NT in particular,  that, incidentally are not supported in any way by science .
Incidentally,  what did god do on the eight day? 

Or simply explain scientifically to us how Noah accommodated the millions  of  species into the ark and enough food and fresh water for their survival?  Scientifically mind? 

Tradesecret
Tradesecret
-->
@zedvictor4
So am I to assume that your source is not necessarily the Christian Bible...But more so the diverse views/interpretations of other theologians?...Never really thinking for yourself.

I would suggest that in terms of his questioning  literally, Stephen is as much a theologian as any academic is.

Isn't it just simply a case of who you prefer to listen to and who you would rather ignore?
I never said that did I?  So your assumption is incorrect.  What I said was that I translate the passage from the original texts and interpret it according to the culture and context. I do the work and I form my own questions and answers.  My conclusions are then found to be in the same range as others.  Stephen is not a theologian. 

His interpretations do not fall within the range of accepted theologians from the wide range of theologians accepted. As I said he is a pseudo - theologian. 

It would be like me pretending to be a scientist simply because I read a few textbooks - and could do a few tricks.  But go ahead and give him his cudos. 

Stephen
Stephen
-->
@Tradesecret

His interpretations do not fall within the range of accepted theologians from the wide range of theologians accepted. As I said he is a pseudo - theologian. 

What are my interpretations Pastor Tradesecrete#20  ?  

I  believe that I have raised questions that Christians have never raised for themselves that spring from their own scriptures. These are usually the ones they choose  to ignore or have  been intentionally and purposely  steered away from;   such as here as YOU have done here for example   #1 <<<<<<<<<<<<<<< this question comes from your OWN   biblical claims as a Pastor and Chaplin#20  And you are ignoring it. 

3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@Tradesecret
It would be like me pretending to be a scientist simply because I read a few textbooks - and could do a few tricks.  But go ahead and give him his cudos. 
Interestingly there is no governing body with the exclusive authority to bestow the title of "scientist".

To qualify as a "scientist" you simply call yourself a "scientist".
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@zedvictor4
Sample-bias strikes again.
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@Stephen
That is what I have told you all along.  You have been told to turn to a chapter and verse. Had it read to you. Then had it explained  to you and in your own words  you have  simply " passed it on",  without  question. and you are still being trained that way aren't you  Reverend
Are you familiar with the concept of "chauffer knowledge" - - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QBaMNsniPRs&list=UUozuo4pmK_2P6LqfYyt4qPg&index=5
zedvictor4
Debates: 22
zedvictor4
-->
@3RU7AL
@Tradesecret
Accepted theologians.
Which was exactly my point.

You presume to have a special club.

So Stephen asks direct questions of the Bible and you and your clubmates interpret or misinterpret biblical scripture to suit.

Stephen clearly studies biblical scripture as you do..... So you are both theologians but in different clubs.

Respect, not kudos....To you both.

Stephen
Stephen
-->
@3RU7AL
That is what I have told you all along.  You have been told to turn to a chapter and verse. Had it read to you. Then had it explained  to you and in your own words  you have  simply " passed it on",  without  question. and you are still being trained that way aren't you  Reverend
Are you familiar with the concept of "chauffer knowledge" - - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QBaMNsniPRs&list=UUozuo4pmK_2P6LqfYyt4qPg&index=5

I am . It is to say,  only hearing  & repeating, & passing on  mantra-like. ….. the words of you boss. 

example: bottom 2 lines

"I in most parts are merely passing on the teaching of what i have received."