Why does anyone wants to be an anarchist?

Author: Intelligence_06

Total: 71
MgtowDemon
Debates: 0
MgtowDemon
-->
@Sum1hugme
I'm not saying law doesn't protect property, but the state has historucally established it's sovereignty via force
Yes, but it's a force for good, for the most part, as I've shown through my examples.

The state's existence is predicated on the monopolization of force
Sure, but how else do you protect people's property? Do you expect the common person to 100% of the time defend their property in an ethical way? You continue to say that the state uses force and somehow that is unjustifiable, yet you don't offer an alternative. If the law is constructed with multiple, impartial people, if it can be developed in accordance to objective standards, and if the government can enforce it, why is this a bad thing?

Sum1hugme
Debates: 37
Sum1hugme
-->
@MgtowDemon
Look, I am not an anarchist, I was just putting up the strongest argument. If government is indeed predicated on the monopolization of force, then premise 3 concludes logically from premise 1
MgtowDemon
Debates: 0
MgtowDemon
-->
@Sum1hugme
Okay.
Danielle
Debates: 3
Danielle
-->
@Sum1hugme
The state's existence is predicated on the monopolization of force

The concept of property rights is predicated on force (what you can defend with violence) so obviously government is too. 
Sum1hugme
Debates: 37
Sum1hugme
-->
@Danielle
In libertarian ethics, the right to private property is a logical derivative of the right to liberty. Idr which philosopher said it, but it's also been argued that private property is justified when one infuses their labor with an unclaimed object. So that's two justifications other than force.

Danielle
Danielle
-->
@Sum1hugme
There's a meme I wish I had handy about property rights, where someone just goes outside and says "this is mine now" lol.

I'm familiar with libertarian ethics. I maintain that property rights are predicated on force. Just because some philosophers theorize that mixing labor with "unclaimed" objects or land makes it somehow legitimate property doesn't mean anything. Libertarians disagree over intellectual property because all concepts of "property" are just ideas. The homestead principle libertarians seem to like is one theory on property and lots of people have many other ideas. What gets enforced (i.e. has meaningful real world application insofar as property rights) is solely which one can defend with violence or have the government defend on their behalf, backed by the threat of violence. 
Death23
Debates: 24
Death23
Violating the non-aggression / harm principle is largely justified by the greater good. I’m suspicious of people who push for libertarian / anarchocapitalist ideas because of who stands to benefit and who stands to lose when policies are implemented based on those ideas. The poor lose. Blacks lose because they are poor. Working class folk lose because they are poor. The wealthy and the racists both share a common interest. Politics is full of vying groups that believe in nothing. They don’t care about the harm principle. It’s the consequences they care about.

44 days later

Athias
Debates: 20
Athias
-->
@Danielle
Why is that?
Because one's person falls within the domain of the self. If we are to maintain the rights are moral concepts which establish a condition in which we ought to live, then self-interest--interest in the self--must serve as the precursor since any cooperation will necessarily be informed by a composite of individual actors.

So semantics. I got ya. 
Yes, semantics.

What if myself (and everyone else in society) disputes your analyses of rights? Whose alleged "rights" do we honor then? 
You are free to conceive a set of rules to which you and any other willing party is willing to participate; but this doesn't necessarily dispute my "analyses." I don't claim to have the only analysis. Only that the analysis to which I subscribe is the most consistent.

I can appreciate that. You remind me of myself in my early 20s. I read every publication by Mises, Hayek, Friedman, Engels and Rothbard I could get my hands on. I even read some anarcho-syndicalists and communists for funsies. I was very libertarian (practically an-cap) for a good portion of my life, and of course when I was in college got very into philosophy. Who doesn't get a lil boner by Ayn Rand when they're 19, amirite? I thought abiding by the laws of logic were paramount and got annoyingly anal about axiomatic truths so I get where you're coming from. I even had Huey as my debate icon for the longest time lol. So I actually find this conversation very endearing and was only curious where you were at in your thought processes, that's all. 
I'm neither a nihilist nor a contrarian. I, too, had an "early 20's." I'm not easily swayed by the rationalizations of philosophers whether they be economic, political, religious, etc. I've reached these conclusions the same way I've always done: relying on my own capacity to rationalize. Sure, I've read Aristotle, Aquinas, Aurelius, Descartes, Godwin, Hayek, Hobbes, Kant etc. (you get the point) but I don't parrot, nor do I appeal to the authority of someone else. Some find it particularly difficult to argue against the consistency of my arguments because I truly understand my position. And to truly understand my position, I have to understand the premises, the inferences, the non sequiturs, the inductions, the deductions, the inverse, converse, and contrapositives; the negations, the rebuttals, the counterarguments, contradictions--all of it. But more importantly, I understand the reasoning. I understand how they connect; I understand how it works. So you'll find similarities between my arguments and the utterances of Mises, Hayek, and Rothbard for example, but you'll never see me regurgitate their statements. If I quote them, I'll always explain the reason that quote applies.

So as I said, I will not assume responsibility for that which others state. I'm capable of offering my own rationalizations because I understand my position.

This is what I was getting at. The TLDR is that any idea on rights (as it pertains to government, property or commerce) essentially boils down to might makes right. If you're the only one who believes X then your views don't really matter insofar as being applicable. It comes down to what ideas you can defend and enforce among people. When you ask  "how meaningful is enforcement when the enforcement itself undermines the right(s) it is intended to protect" I completely understand that paradox and question that many philosophers have tried to resolve.
Might does not make right. Might is more "persuasive" to those who are not willing to risk death.

But here we are, and I expect if we go down a Socratic rabbit hole you'll come to similar conclusions most have had regarding the "necessary evil" of government and overriding of strict individualism for a functioning society.
No, I wouldn't. "Necessary" evil is a pretext which undermines individuality; "necessary evil" is still evil. It's not that individualism CAN'T inform a functioning society; it just DOESN'T.

But one is compelled. Ignoring arguments for determinism and against free will (i.e. predisposition through genetics or environment compelling choices), what about babies? Would it be immoral or against what one ought to do or has a right to do if they give an infant medicine or life saving treatment? I think if we acknowledge any rights concerning infants regards the discretion of their parents or the state, we recognize how arbitrary our conditions for the existence of rights are - that's why I was asking about other species and non humans.
They're not arbitrary; babies aren't moral agents. Neither are other species of animals, nor robots. And much like robots and other species of animals, they are subject to the discretion of those who have possession of them.

We just make up the criteria as we go along, and because there is no moral absolute or moral imperative it's not necessarily immoral to do certain things  in the name of government just like we "allow" certain things to be done for babies in the name of good parenting. 
Individualism doesn't just make up criteria as we go along.

I'm probs not explaining this properly in between work calls. I almost forgot about this thread. I'm confident if you think about your "ideal government" or rather ideal society without government though, certain circumstances or conditions would arise where you wouldn't be able to apply some sort of straight edged logic as easily as you think. I suspect you'll figure that out in due time and probs not in this thread. I'm enjoying the conversation though.
How old do you assume I am? And why do you presume that I need time to reconsider?

ethang5
Debates: 1
ethang5
-->
@Intelligence_06
Why does anyone wants to be an anarchist?
Short answer? Ignorance.

But it takes a certain kind of ignorance. The kind that has been in a technologically advanced society long enough to have forgotten that nature has only been kept at Bay, not conquered, but is young enough not to have had any experience yet with their own mortality.

Anarchists tend to be exclusively under 35 liberals in decadent Western societies. Those are the only places one can be stupid and then be protected from the consequences of being stupid, lulling them into thinking anarchy is attractive. 

15 days later

Danielle
Danielle
-->
@Athias
 Some find it particularly difficult to argue against the consistency of my arguments because I truly understand my position.

I don't find it difficult to argue against your positions; I just don't find it as engaging as other conversations because typically an emphasis on semantics is not substantive, and because you've acknowledged your positions do not have any real world application. Do you personally want to live in a society or world without government? I just noticed you didn't really address that and I'm curious. 

To answer your questions, I assume you're 20 to 30 years old and realize my remarks about the evolution of my thought processes may have sounded patronizing to you which wasn't my intent. I don't doubt that you have scrutinized your belief system and know what you are talking about. I just wanted to convey that I too am familiar with anarchist and libertarian philosophy, whereas most people you speak to probably are not. 

From my last post: would it be immoral or against what one ought to do or has a right to do if they give an infant medicine or life saving treatment? What if one parent wanted to drown their baby but the other parent did not - what is the rightful way to settle that disagreement or determine if one has been wronged if the baby is killed? If we acknowledge any rights concerning infants regards the discretion of their parents or the state, we recognize how arbitrary our conditions for the existence of rights are, and that's why I was asking about other species and non humans (arbitrary is not the word I'm looking for, but the right verbiage escapes me at the moment). 

The same evidence we have for thinking that human beings possess reason should also lead us to conclude that animals are rational, or that other entities can be rational.  Is there some kind of test you defer to which establishes when a human (or other entity) might have sufficient rationale to qualify for autonomy/rights? How does inebriation or mental illness factor in? 

As much as I'd prefer to discuss why I think anarchy in practice is a terrible idea (I don't think I've seen an explanation from you in this thread why anyone would "want to be an anarchist" per se or rather live absent of all government) I recognize the underlying philosophy is significant so I'm trying to figure out how to balance my response to you. I'll just end it here: you stated that rights are moral concepts which establish a condition in which we ought to live. But if rights are limited to describe only things we have exclusive claims to (like our bodies), how does that translate to a concept which describes how we ought to live? 

Athias
Debates: 20
Athias
-->
@Danielle
I don't find it difficult to argue against your positions; I just don't find it as engaging as other conversations because typically an emphasis on semantics is not substantive, and because you've acknowledged your positions do not have any real world application.
On the contrary, semantic discussions are quite substantive given that language allows us to communicate value to the best of its capacity. You continue to state that my positions "don't" have any real world application. And my response to you is that it's not the same as "can't." "Don't" is simply a matter of application. The philosophy to which I subscribe is not being applied--I don't deny this; that's not to state that it can't be applied. And by parsing between these two words, my position is better understood; hence, creating more substance.

Do you personally want to live in a society or world without government?
Yes.

To answer your questions, I assume you're 20 to 30 years old
Well, I'm not. I assume that you've gathered that I'm not as old as my profiles suggests, but I'm not all that young either--even by millennial standards.

From my last post: would it be immoral or against what one ought to do or has a right to do if they give an infant medicine or life saving treatment?
No.

What if one parent wanted to drown their baby but the other parent did not - what is the rightful way to settle that disagreement or determine if one has been wronged if the baby is killed?
If one parent wanted to drown the baby, then that denies and deprives the other of the abusus and usufruct of a live infant. It would be like two people who shared possession of a car. They both agreed to make equal payments, but one of them wanted to send the car off a cliff. Their dispute is settled when the offending party remunerates the other for damages. So then question is, what is the cost of a baby? That can be resolved by a mediator or impartial arbiter.

If we acknowledge any rights concerning infants regards the discretion of their parents or the state, we recognize how arbitrary our conditions for the existence of rights are, and that's why I was asking about other species and non humans (arbitrary is not the word I'm looking for, but the right verbiage escapes me at the moment). 
"Selective" perhaps? And since rights are moral concepts, moral agency setting the bar is not "arbitrary"--or the verbiage which currently escapes you.

The same evidence we have for thinking that human beings possess reason should also lead us to conclude that animals are rational, or that other entities can be rational.  Is there some kind of test you defer to which establishes when a human (or other entity) might have sufficient rationale to qualify for autonomy/rights?
Being rational wasn't my only rubric. I remember stating that Humans were "moral agents and rational actors."

How does inebriation or mental illness factor in? 
Inebriation is overrated, and "mental illnesses" aren't really illnesses (given there's not a single biochemical basis for anything listed on the DSM-5.)

you stated that rights are moral concepts which establish a condition in which we ought to live. But if rights are limited to describe only things we have exclusive claims to (like our bodies), how does that translate to a concept which describes how we ought to live? 
The end I presume everyone shares is to actualize self-interests, even in cooperation.