Arguments against God

Author: Jarrett_Ludolph

Total: 103
Theweakeredge
Debates: 33
Theweakeredge
-->
@Safalcon7
And that's something I don't believe in- having to prove everything empirically where I have clear testimonies to support my claim.
I'm not trying to be rude here, but if you have more than testimonies, then don't just present testimonies, perhaps you thought it was strong enough evidence to witness your claim? But they definitely weren't and even eyewitness testimony was particularly compelling, the sorts of testimony religious or god-fearing people wouldn't be valid in the court of law, as any experienced lawyer would easily be able to tear it to shreds.

-The contradicting narratives often within the experience
-The lack of a physical form of this god which is often expressed
-The related story of alien abudction tales
-etc, etc, etc
Mopac
Debates: 4
Mopac
-->
@Theweakeredge
You haven't shown my claims are bunk. 

There is nothing to argue against. You don't have an argument. Your "argument" comes from not knowing what you are talking about. 

Of course, if you showed me a little more charity, I could talk at great length and demonstrate many logical proofs for my position. My position isn't "God exists". This is a stupid thing to debate because the people who say otherwise don't deserve to have their position entertained. Only a fool says in their heart there is no God. This is not a vain saying. As I pointed out, the God we accept is The Ultimate Reality. If you say our God doesn't exist, this is a confession of nihilism. Nihilism is a self defeating and stupid position.

The existence of God is a given. It is a testament to the confusion of the times we live in that people even debate this.

AddledBrain
Debates: 0
AddledBrain
-->
@Mopac
OK, that is your opinion, Mopac.  I respect your opinion but, please don't mistake opinion for science.  Science deals in reality while opinion, well, you know what they say about opinions.  I respectfully disagree with your assertion that anything can be superior to science to define reality.  Once again, you've proven nothing.

Let's leave this discussion where it lays if no new evidence cannot be supplied.  I appreciate and respect your opinion regarding your certainty of God as, I realize this is a forum dedicated to philosophy.  Philosophy is all about rationalization and opinion.
Theweakeredge
Theweakeredge
-->
@Mopac
No, the problem is the classical definition of god, and the god which I am referring to not believing exists is not comparable to the reality we live in. It is a testable hypothesis and has been shown false so many times its not even needed to be examples. I will anyway: The impossibility of a global flood as so many religions suggests, the evolution of man, the evolution of the universe, etc, etc.. is not at all how most if not all gods depict it. 

My problem is that I see no reason to assign the attribute ultimate reality to the notion of a classically defined god in philosophic standards. This is a blatant redefining of the word that is based on modern assertion and an ontological premise of such god, which has been proven logically fallacious for centuries. 
Mopac
Mopac
-->
@AddledBrain
Contemplate what these words mean.

"The Ultimate Reality"

If you say there is no ultimate reality, that makes you a nihilist.

Mopac
Mopac
-->
@Theweakeredge
I am an Orthodox Christian.

Literally the oldest most conservative religion there is. Our church is the oldest continuous international institution in human history.

What you are accusing me of is in fact what you are guilty of, though you don't know.

But you don't know what we believe. You think you do, but you really don't. You probably won't ever if you don't wish to be instructed.

Theweakeredge
Theweakeredge
-->
@Mopac
If you are basing your definition of god on this assertion, then you are literally defining a god into existence without evidence thereof. This is a common ontological and philosophical shortcut, those who support theism like to take to try to make a rational justification of god, however, while your premises may be valid they are not sound. They are not true.
Mopac
Mopac
-->
@Theweakeredge
I know the identity of my God.

That is what this is about. 

My God is not a logical conclusion. My God is revelation.

That said, what else could God be other than The Ultimate Reality? Literally nothing else fits.

The god that atheists argue against is not a god I believe.

The idea of approaching theology from a perspective of reason is very alien to us. Even kind of stupid. That is what Roman Catholics and Protestants do. That is why they keep using the same arguments over and over again expecting different results. Their overreliance on so called "reason" is what created modern atheism to begin with. Our way is superior. It is also the ancient way. We are not anti-reason. We are not anti-science. Quite the contrary.

It's really simple. The Ultimate Reality is God. If you can't accept this, literally nothing else about our spirituality can make sense. It is all built around this.

Theweakeredge
Theweakeredge
-->
@Mopac
Then that makes your spirituality based on nonsense, not the position that god therefore true. 
Mopac
Mopac
-->
@Theweakeredge
You wouldn't know, because you have resolved to be unteachable.

AddledBrain
AddledBrain
-->
@Mopac
If you say there is no ultimate reality, that makes you a nihilist.
Please don't project on me, Mopac.  My life has plenty of meaning.  I have a family I love, I try to help the disadvantaged, I try to help the environment, I pursue my art .. plenty of meaning.  If you think only belief in God gives meaning to life and existence for everyone, not just you and your ilk, you're plenty mistaken.  Lots of people feel belief in a God is a life crutch.  While I do not as I think it, indeed, helps some people deal with their problems, I have little support to deny the deniers.  ..But that still puts God in the realm of personal realization not omnipresence.

Besides, I do hold to an ultimate reality, as ultimate as we can perceive .. I trust in science and I'm sure that science reflects and defines truth.

It's all about the firmness of real existence versus the vagaries of philosophy, as I see it.  I realize you see it differently.  That's what makes the World go 'round .. engaging in discourse.  Thank you for this discussion.  Let's keep it fresh and only engage in fresh arguments  or, especially, evidence, if you have some.  Let's not keep treading on old ground.

Mopac
Mopac
-->
@AddledBrain
If you believe there is ultimate reality, you believe God exists.

I'm not calling you a nihilist, I am saying that if you don't believe there is ultimate reality, that makes you a nihilist.

What I recognize as God is The Ultimate Reality, and my God by necessity exists.

Just because it doesn't make sense to you yet doesn't mean that it doesn't make sense.

What is God to you? Tell me what the ultimate reality is, and there is your conception of God.

My faith is very practical. It is the science of sciences. You don't understand my faith, why, we have yet to find common ground. You don't understand the language involved as we do. As that is the case, we have yet to argue or debate.
AddledBrain
AddledBrain
-->
@Mopac
Mopac, look, this will be so easy to resolve for us.  Just show the proof.  If God had wanted you to reveal Himself to me and all the other skeptics, He would have provided you with some proof rather than leaving you stranded, empty-handed.  Just show me the proof.  No more rationalization.

Just show me the proof.  Time to put up or shut up.  Show the proof.