Progressive AMA

Author: Theweakeredge

Total: 40
Theweakeredge
Debates: 33
Theweakeredge
-->
@Athias
I believe the general goal of progressives should be to lead a country to positive progress, specifically in regard to the civil rights of people in general. Such as a woman's right to an abortion, such as a homosexual man's right to marriage, such as a transgender person's right to transition. Etc, etc.. 
What are the specific tenets of progressivism you don't support? Why don't you support them?
I'm not sure actually... I'd have to really think about that one. I've already made the point that I think as long as your general goal aligns with the philosophy of the political ideology, you are said ideology. Now, if you disagree, that's fine, that's just what I'm talking about when I say progressivism. How about this, just give me what you think some core tenants are, and then I'll respond ya or nay and why. That sound fair?

Except I think by use of context clues, you can easily tell I am referring to the Christina god, if not, regard this example instead: I can still be a theist and not believe the tenants of typical theism and still believe in a god.
The Christian God is the same as the Judaic God and Islamic God (They're all Abrahamic Religions.) And no, there's only one tenet of theism, and that's to believe in at least one god.
Eh, that's more along the lines of Deism, to be a theist, you have to assign attributes to said god, and which attributes are the tenets I'm referring to. As most theists say they should strive to be like god, or that they're made in god's image. This implies that these characteristics are preferable. A couple extrapolations and bada beem bada boom.

That should satisfy your need to nitpick.
There's no need to nitpick. Only a need to be accurate.
Using context it was fairly easy to tell what I was referring to, so yes, that was a nitpick. 

There is no arbitrary about it, I believe in the central goal of progressivism, but because of the ideology, people can disagree about what that best way there. As well as the fact that yes, I technically could determine how progressive I was, by measuring how towards the goal of progressivism my goals align. 
You're conflating practice with philosophy. And no, your goals either align or they don't. And if they don't, you're not by description a "progressive." So if the general goal of progressivism is civil rights, then the reasoning which informs that goal must be consistent throughout. If there's a tenet of progressivism which sustains the same reasoning behind civil rights, but you for some reason deem it inconsistent with your goals, then you are being arbitrary. I suppose another consideration would be that progressivism isn't a consistent political position, and more of an itemized list of hypocritical requests.
See, now you're being arbitrary, assigning a dichotomy along which an idea can lay, why? Can things not be nuanced? Do factors of an idea or topic not have some things that may align more than others? While yes, my goals do either align with progressivism or not, I wasn't referring to the person instead to the ideas or "tenents" if you will of progressivism. The line about me being arbitrary is specifically wrong, mostly due to you not understanding or missing what I was saying. What I was saying there is that how I determine how progressivist I am by identifying the center or main goal of progressivism and seeing if my goals align. If yes, I am, if no, then I'm not. People can think there goals align with progressism the center idea and be right or wrong, therefore they may appear and label themselves progressive and not actually be progressive, but no one would be able to tell until they're thoughts and ideas were weighted for valid or consistency. I am not deeming it inconsistent with my goals, but the goals of progressivism essentially. That is what I meant people can disagree. 

I would disagree, that is one way you could say that they are made up,
No, that is the only way they're made up.
Ideology - "A system of ideas and ideals, especially one which forms the basis of economic or political theory and policy."

Here you are simply factually incorrect.

but this is a naive approach that is limiting unneedlessly.
Yes it is intended to limit, giving distinction between itself and other philosophies and/or particularizing its ends. There's nothing "naive" about understanding that.
Naive - "showing a lack of experience, wisdom, or judgement."

Here we see a lack of judgement, at least on this subject, it arbitrarily limits what an ideology is, even though the dictionary specifically disagrees with you. Why do you limit like so? Ideology does not mean what you seem to think it does.

As you were so quick to ignore, one could simply identify the goal of one's political ideology and measure yourself based on this.
What's the utility in "measuring"? You either adhere to the goal or you don't.
Once again, locking it in a binary, while it is true that you either believe a proposition to be true, or you don't the same can not be said for systems of thought or ideas. Certain ideas can be less or more aligned with an ideology, people may believe it to be a goal, but not the most important, there are lots of ways of measuring this. Again, arbitrary. 

This is you assuming that there is only one way to define or measure a political ideology. 
I don't assume there's only one way to define or measure a political ideology. First, as you can probably tell from above, I reject the utility of "measuring." And the definition is the definition--I don't assume it.
But.... you literally did, I already provided a definition that specifically doesn't back your approach. 

I am still a Christian if I believe in god/jesus but I also believe that we shouldn't stone gay people. I am still a Christian if I believe I shouldn't own slaves, etc, etc...
First the Bible doesn't state anywhere to "stone gay people," or prescribe "owning slaves." (It recommends stoning for pretty much everything else.) Yes, the Bible states that homosexuality is an abomination whose participants should be put to death, and that slavery ought to be regulated, but those aren't the principles taught by Jesus Christ which informs Christianity. Your analogy falls short. If you don't live by and sustain the principles and values taught by Jesus Christ, then you are not Christian.
That's also wrong... because it doesn't fit the people who would still make it to christian and don't apply those principals. Are these people not "Christians"? Even though they get to make it to heaven and forever are rewarded? Is a person who is sent to hell because they did not believe in christ, yet follow his teachings closely a christian? Is the murderer who only converted in his last moments (truly repented) and never followed christ except for those last moments a chrsitian? No. You're rebuttal falls short. Though if we assume that the bible is informing the government which they governed over, and people are commanded to kill a man who sleepeth with another man, its not far to say stoning. And the bible explicitly says you shouldn't steal, yet it doesn't say the same of slavery? Just tell them to stop slavery, that was never commanded therefore, an endorsment.

Never did I say I disagreed with any of them, I was simply saying I may or may not reflect all of their opinions. Same answer as the last one, and as far as I am aware, yes.
With which tenets, principles, precepts, or opinions you may or may not reflect? Why don't you reflect them?
Throw out some principals and I'll tell you if I agree or disagree. Then you decided if I am a progressive or not.

50 days later

Athias
Debates: 20
Athias
-->
@Theweakeredge
I'm not sure actually... I'd have to really think about that one. I've already made the point that I think as long as your general goal aligns with the philosophy of the political ideology, you are said ideology. Now, if you disagree, that's fine, that's just what I'm talking about when I say progressivism. How about this, just give me what you think some core tenants are, and then I'll respond ya or nay and why. That sound fair?
Take the example of one's being "pro-choice" and supporting "age of consent" laws. Presumably one is pro-choice because they support the principle that a person's body falls within that person's domain; thus how one behaves one's body is at one's discretion. Why then would this not be the case as it applies to sex? And progressives are notorious for lobbying to raise the age of consent. Why then is it a goal to preserve one's bodily integrity as it applies to exercising an abortion, but not a goal to preserve it when it concerns the act of which an abortion is a consequence? How does the inconsistency not undermine the ideology?

Eh, that's more along the lines of Deism, to be a theist, you have to assign attributes to said god, and which attributes are the tenets I'm referring to. As most theists say they should strive to be like god, or that they're made in god's image. This implies that these characteristics are preferable. A couple extrapolations and bada beem bada boom.
This is contradicting your previous argument. You stated that you can still believe in a god, be a theist, and not subscribe to the particular tenets associated with that brand of theism. And with this argument, you're stating that theism is defined by its tenets; even if you were arguing that these tenets are subject to debate (and they're really not) that would make the tenets irrelevant given that their being moot would dissolve any distinctions between religions. Thus, theism would necessitate believing in at least one god, regardless of the tenets. 

Using context it was fairly easy to tell what I was referring to, so yes, that was a nitpick. 
No, it wasn't. But we not debate over this, anymore.

See, now you're being arbitrary, assigning a dichotomy along which an idea can lay, why? Can things not be nuanced?
I'm not being arbitrary at all. The opposite, actually: I'm consistent. And yes, they cannot be nuanced. Feelings can be nuanced. The environment can be nuanced. Situations can be nuanced. Principles cannot. Because principles act as axioms which serve an absolute condition.

What I was saying there is that how I determine how progressivist I am by identifying the center or main goal of progressivism and seeing if my goals align. If yes, I am, if no, then I'm not. People can think there goals align with progressism the center idea and be right or wrong, therefore they may appear and label themselves progressive and not actually be progressive, but no one would be able to tell until they're thoughts and ideas were weighted for valid or consistency. I am not deeming it inconsistent with my goals, but the goals of progressivism essentially. That is what I meant people can disagree. 
No, this is just a pretext used to inform the hypocrisy of your position. Case in point: I support a pro-choice position. Does this endorsement make me a Democrat or a progressive? No. It doesn't even make me slightly "progressive." Even if I were to agree with most "progressive" principles, I still wouldn't be a "progressive." Because "most" and not "all" just means that I have not reconciled the reasoning that informs my supporting most, but not the rest--of course presuming progressivism is a set of consistent principles. (I would argue that it's not--one of those reasons mentioned above.)

Ideology - "A system of ideas and ideals, especially one which forms the basis of economic or political theory and policy."

Here you are simply factually incorrect.
How am I "factually incorrect"? How does this either refute or exclude my description?

Naive - "showing a lack of experience, wisdom, or judgement."

Here we see a lack of judgement, at least on this subject, it arbitrarily limits what an ideology is, even though the dictionary specifically disagrees with you. Why do you limit like so? Ideology does not mean what you seem to think it does.
First, "seem" is not an argument; second, where does "the dictionary specifically disagree with [me]"?

Once again, locking it in a binary, while it is true that you either believe a proposition to be true, or you don't the same can not be said for systems of thought or ideas. Certain ideas can be less or more aligned with an ideology, people may believe it to be a goal, but not the most important, there are lots of ways of measuring this. Again, arbitrary. 
Describe how one functionally adheres and does not adhere to a goal. And we're not talking about subjective gauges of significance. We're talking about the constitution of adherence.

But.... you literally did, I already provided a definition that specifically doesn't back your approach. 
You've done no such thing. You provided a definition which you have yet to delineate its exclusion of my description.

That's also wrong... because it doesn't fit the people who would still make it to christian and don't apply those principals. Are these people not "Christians"?
No, they are not Christians.

Even though they get to make it to heaven and forever are rewarded?
How do you know this?

Is a person who is sent to hell because they did not believe in christ, yet follow his teachings closely a christian?
How does one who follows the teaching of Jesus Christ get sent to Hell? How do we know they were sent to Hell?

Is the murderer who only converted in his last moments (truly repented) and never followed christ except for those last moments a chrsitian?
Yes. There are no temporal or chronological restrictions on following the teachings of Jesus Christ.

No. You're rebuttal falls short.
How?

Though if we assume that the bible is informing the government which they governed over, and people are commanded to kill a man who sleepeth with another man, its not far to say stoning.
But that is no less an assumption. You're ascribing it Christianity as one of its principles.

And the bible explicitly says you shouldn't steal, yet it doesn't say the same of slavery? Just tell them to stop slavery, that was never commanded therefore, an endorsment.
No.

Throw out some principals and I'll tell you if I agree or disagree. Then you decided if I am a progressive or not.
You know the ones you follow, and presumably, you know the ones you don't follow. Which are the ones you don't follow? Which are the ones you associate with progressivism, but with which you don't align your goals?

Theweakeredge
Theweakeredge
Take the example of one's being "pro-choice" and supporting "age of consent" laws. Presumably one is pro-choice because they support the principle that a person's body falls within that person's domain; thus how one behaves one's body is at one's discretion. Why then would this not be the case as it applies to sex? And progressives are notorious for lobbying to raise the age of consent. Why then is it a goal to preserve one's bodily integrity as it applies to exercising an abortion, but not a goal to preserve it when it concerns the act of which an abortion is a consequence? How does the inconsistency not undermine the ideology?
To answer your last question first, because you have no idea what your talking about. Like... that's really it. Let's properly explain what you attempted to, I hope this isn't your best example:

Pro-choice is the take that the one impregnated has the choice of what develops in their body.. pretty straight forwards that's just the freedom of anatomy. Raising the age of consent is typically argued for the same reasons that raising the age for drafting or drinking is, because the brain is not fully developed. The argument typically goes along the lines that having sex with someone under the age of consent is statutory rape, but people object to that specific line... 18, is arbitary, thus, they want to raise the line to something which isn't arbitrary. Someone who is seeking abortion is seeking to correct something that has happened to them - whereas the age of consent is speaking of someone's physical and mental fortitude to do x or y. Obviously people who aren't 18 have had sex and can handle it fine, but the problem is to protect the masses, so speaking from a policy perspective, the choice is either: Leave it at a line which was arbitrary in the first place, or raise it to somewhere that makes sense. Of course, some would argue that's lower, and some would argue that its higher. But the fundamental point is that the difference is correcting a state that they are in, and doing something with lots of potential bad consequences. the two things aren't equatable. You have made a false comparison, congratulations. 

This is contradicting your previous argument. You stated that you can still believe in a god, be a theist, and not subscribe to the particular tenets associated with that brand of theism. And with this argument, you're stating that theism is defined by its tenets; even if you were arguing that these tenets are subject to debate (and they're really not) that would make the tenets irrelevant given that their being moot would dissolve any distinctions between religions. Thus, theism would necessitate believing in at least one god, regardless of the tenets. 
Um.... no, did you not understand the point? The proper point is that, there are tenents being preferred, the actual specific tenets don't actually matter - just that there are some. That was what I was talking about. You are right in a manner of speaking, theism is of "tenets", but rather than what ones, as you seem to believe, its a question of if there are any at all. This entire point was about how- as long as your believed in that god, you don't have to necessarily adopt all of the positions that, say, the bible supports. And you've actually agreed with me, you call it a tenet, I'm saying that is the goal. Each policy is not the "goal" of progressives, but part of working towards a goal, and that goal is ensuring the promise that America actually set out to do, provide a land of oppurtunity where everybody was treated equally. You can nitpick all you want, I don't care.

No, it wasn't. But we not debate over this, anymore
Interesting take, but yes, yes it was a nitpick. 

I'm not being arbitrary at all. The opposite, actually: I'm consistent. And yes, they cannot be nuanced. Feelings can be nuanced. The environment can be nuanced. Situations can be nuanced. Principles cannot. Because principles act as axioms which serve an absolute condition.
Look at the guy, misunderstanding another word! Give him a clap on the back! Yes, some principles are axioms, others are not. Some principles are axioms - and as such people can be incorrect about what axioms logically lead to, such is every logical fallacy. But still.... axioms are nuanced, things which are true still hold nuance. An axiom is a thing which is self-evidently true, established, or accepted - nothing about that is absolute, I suppose you could argue that something which is self-evidently true is absolute, but I would say that logic can be nuanced... so again, incorrect.

No, this is just a pretext used to inform the hypocrisy of your position. Case in point: I support a pro-choice position. Does this endorsement make me a Democrat or a progressive? No. It doesn't even make me slightly "progressive." Even if I were to agree with most "progressive" principles, I still wouldn't be a "progressive." Because "most" and not "all" just means that I have not reconciled the reasoning that informs my supporting most, but not the rest--of course presuming progressivism is a set of consistent principles. (I would argue that it's not--one of those reasons mentioned above.)
Your entire point is based on faulty reasoning, such as false equivalences and non-sequiturs. Again, an ideology is just a system of idea and ideals, what about that is absolute? What about that can't be misinterpreted, what about that must stay consistent? I would argue that progressives have the same core values, and whether a policy reaches that goal is what depends if something is of that ideology, just like principles can be applied differently and be correct or incorrect based on the circumstances - that seem thing applies to how ideas are under a ideology. Sometimes things can be more aligned or less aligned, that's a basic part of any "ideal" because its necessarily subjective and relative. What you stack on top of that is the objective part. Most of your ideas can be aligned with progressisvm and you can not at all be a progressive I agree, if your fundamental goal or end result you seek is not that of progressivism then you aren't one - that is true, but again, people can disagree what best gets you to those ideas, and you don't even address that point, you literally hand wave it away and try to use red herrings as if their arguments.

How am I "factually incorrect"? How does this either refute or exclude my description
Someone isn't paying attention - we are talking of political ideologies no? If an idea is just a system of ideas and ideals, you argued for something to apply to a political ideology you must agree with all tenets... except... those tenets will always be up for debate, of course there may be a true set of tenets that will lead you to a goal, but there may be another way to get to that goal, to accomplish it. To get from 4 to 6 you could add two, or you could subtract negative 2, either way gets you to 6. You could multiple 4  by 1.5 and get 6. My point - is that there are multiple ways to get to a goal, therefore, each progressive might have different ideas on what is the best way to get to the goal. Thus debating between progressives is deciding which tenets, even principles are the right way to get to a goal.

First, "seem" is not an argument; second, where does "the dictionary specifically disagree with [me]"?
Mmhm, it actually is - the preponderance of evidence or the likely hood of something can point in a direction, say to either x or y, and the other be technically true, so I am careful with my language in that regard. It is just a stand in for, "Likely" or "Most likely".. and I explained it above.

Describe how one functionally adheres and does not adhere to a goal. And we're not talking about subjective gauges of significance. We're talking about the constitution of adherence.
Do you mean how someone can only partially adhere to a goal? Gladly - let's say the goal is to eat some cake. The most direct route is to immediately search for some cake and consume it, its not as if they cost much at the market or are particularly hard to find. Now, to expand the analogy, let's say there are two people with this goal, x and y, x is going to buy some cake mix and make a cake, y is going to buy a cake premade from a bakery. Technically both things would get you closer to eating a cake, but buying one premade is more aligned with eating a cake, as all you have to do is... buy then eat the cake. Whereas baking the cake makes eating it a secondary priority, otherwise x would have just bought the premade cake. To make that more concise - you can have multiple goals, whenever one goal has more priority than another, you can do something towards the first goal which interferes with the second, but the end result and intention still being the first goal. So if we were to take this as technical as you can - you would be correct that you have to adhere to a goal to adhere to a goal, but in practice, you can adhere to a goal while also not... you can begin to adhere to one goal more than another. Also.... that would be assuming that there is only one way to get to a goal... why is it impossible for there to be multiple efficient routes to get to one goal? So... yes, an aspect of subjectiveness does enter the mix, whether you like it or not.

You've done no such thing. You provided a definition which you have yet to delineate its exclusion of my description.
Because it doesn't and I thought that would be more apparent, I suppose I was wrong in that assumption.

No, they are not Christians.
So people who believe in christ aren't christians? Is that what you're arguing?

How do you know this?
This is basing off of the holy book described, which effectively defines christianity for us. 

How does one who follows the teaching of Jesus Christ get sent to Hell? How do we know they were sent to Hell?
If someone were to follow all of Christ's teachings but not believe that he existed, then they would go to hell, as is described in the bible, so in the hypothetical that the christian god exists, and follows the principles of the bible, that's how that would go down.

Yes. There are no temporal or chronological restrictions on following the teachings of Jesus Christ.
So then you agree with my point. 

How?
I explained in the lines above, notice the entire thing is a paragraph? That's because each sentence leads into the next. 

But that is no less an assumption. You're ascribing it Christianity as one of its principles
An assumption? That's most likely the case, that is if to say that whenever the cheese is on the counter, that someone left out that cheese is an assumption. And... considering that it was in exodus in a long list of rules.... that is at least a tenet of Christianity. 

No
Gonna explain yourself?

You know the ones you follow, and presumably, you know the ones you don't follow. Which are the ones you don't follow? Which are the ones you associate with progressivism, but with which you don't align your goals?
Mmm. no, I don't think you're arguing in good faith, so I'm sticking to what I said before.
Athias
Debates: 20
Athias
To answer your last question first, because you have no idea what your talking about.
Let's put that to a test.

Pro-choice is the take that the one impregnated has the choice of what develops in their body.. pretty straight forwards that's just the freedom of anatomy.
Yes, bodily autonomy. Let's remember that concept as we proceed forward.

Raising the age of consent is typically argued for the same reasons that raising the age for drafting or drinking is, because the brain is not fully developed. The argument typically goes along the lines that having sex with someone under the age of consent is statutory rape
"Statutory" rape is the eliding of consent during coitus or any sexual contact which violates the information of State prescriptions. It is not necessarily rape; it's not necessarily not rape.

but people object to that specific line... 18, is arbitary, thus, they want to raise the line to something which isn't arbitrary. Someone who is seeking abortion is seeking to correct something that has happened to them - whereas the age of consent is speaking of someone's physical and mental fortitude to do x or y.
No. "Abortion" is not about "correcting"; it's about "terminating." And the pro-choice position, at least in concept, doesn't necessarily endorse the exercise of abortion; it endorses a pregnant woman's choice in carrying out or terminating her pregnancy. Why then would her physical and/or mental fortitude not be subject to scrutiny in order to carry out "x" or "y"? Why is it that a 14 year old, for example, can legally carry out an abortion, but cannot legally have sex with the 22 year-old who got her pregnant?

Obviously people who aren't 18 have had sex and can handle it fine, but the problem is to protect the masses, so speaking from a policy perspective, the choice is either: Leave it at a line which was arbitrary in the first place, or raise it to somewhere that makes sense. Of course, some would argue that's lower, and some would argue that its higher. But the fundamental point is that the difference is correcting a state that they are in, and doing something with lots of potential bad consequences. the two things aren't equatable.
First, what are you protecting the masses from? And if people who aren't 18 (presumably both older and younger) can handle it fine, then what state would they be in that needs correcting? Are unwanted pregnancies, STI's, and broken hearts only consequences when those under the age of 18 are involved?

You have made a false comparison, congratulations. 
No, my comparison is quite dead-on. You may want to argue that human beings are like appliances that work only once fully assembled (your inept citation of "brain development," for example) but we're not. We learn and adjust using experience. And no amount of experience can prevent someone from making a mistake or a bad decision. If your argument for setting an age of consent is that those subject to it need to be protected from decisions that they don't know are bad for them because they're "too young" to know it's bad for them, then it's hypocritical to withhold this reasoning from any policy that affect everyone else. "Everyone makes mistakes."

Um.... no, did you not understand the point? The proper point is that, there are tenents being preferred, the actual specific tenets don't actually matter - just that there are some. That was what I was talking about. You are right in a manner of speaking, theism is of "tenets", but rather than what ones, as you seem to believe, its a question of if there are any at all. This entire point was about how- as long as your believed in that god, you don't have to necessarily adopt all of the positions that, say, the bible supports.
That's not the argument. The argument was whether the belief in God made one a Christian, and that one couldn't be a Christian without following the values taught by Jesus Christ. As I already informed you, those who subscribe to the Abrahamic Religions believe in "God." I then informed you that to be a "Theist" one need only believe in just one god or more. You then stated that Theism had more tenets. And now you're stating that they have "preferred" tenets, but one doesn't necessarily need to "adopt" them to believe in that god. So what is the conclusion? Theism's only tenet is the belief in at least one god. (The "preferred" tenets are irrelevant.)

Look at the guy, misunderstanding another word! Give him a clap on the back! Yes, some principles are axioms, others are not. Some principles are axioms - and as such people can be incorrect about what axioms logically lead to, such is every logical fallacy. But still.... axioms are nuanced, things which are true still hold nuance. An axiom is a thing which is self-evidently true, established, or accepted - nothing about that is absolute, I suppose you could argue that something which is self-evidently true is absolute, but I would say that logic can be nuanced... so again, incorrect.
Provide an example of a "nuanced" axiom. Provide an example of a principle that is not axiomatic.

Your entire point is based on faulty reasoning, such as false equivalences and non-sequiturs. Again, an ideology is just a system of idea and ideals, what about that is absolute? What about that can't be misinterpreted, what about that must stay consistent? I would argue that progressives have the same core values, and whether a policy reaches that goal is what depends if something is of that ideology, just like principles can be applied differently and be correct or incorrect based on the circumstances - that seem thing applies to how ideas are under a ideology. Sometimes things can be more aligned or less aligned, that's a basic part of any "ideal" because its necessarily subjective and relative. What you stack on top of that is the objective part. Most of your ideas can be aligned with progressisvm and you can not at all be a progressive I agree, if your fundamental goal or end result you seek is not that of progressivism then you aren't one - that is true, but again, people can disagree what best gets you to those ideas, and you don't even address that point, you literally hand wave it away and try to use red herrings as if their arguments.
The reasoning that brings ideas and ideals together and keeps them within that specific system--the specificity of which provides distinction from other systems.

Someone isn't paying attention - we are talking of political ideologies no? If an idea is just a system of ideas and ideals, you argued for something to apply to a political ideology you must agree with all tenets... except... those tenets will always be up for debate, of course there may be a true set of tenets that will lead you to a goal, but there may be another way to get to that goal, to accomplish it. To get from 4 to 6 you could add two, or you could subtract negative 2, either way gets you to 6. You could multiple 4  by 1.5 and get 6. My point - is that there are multiple ways to get to a goal, therefore, each progressive might have different ideas on what is the best way to get to the goal. Thus debating between progressives is deciding which tenets, even principles are the right way to get to a goal.
Where in your citation is this stated, and thus informs my being "factually incorrect"?

Mmhm, it actually is - the preponderance of evidence or the likely hood of something can point in a direction, say to either x or y, and the other be technically true, so I am careful with my language in that regard.
Seem is not based on observational or logical information; seem is based on opinion, whether you incorporate "likely" or not.

.. and I explained it above.
No, you didn't. I'm still waiting.

Do you mean how someone can only partially adhere to a goal? Gladly - let's say the goal is to eat some cake.
Let's not; cakes aren't principles.

Technically both things would get you closer to eating a cake, but buying one premade is more aligned with eating a cake, as all you have to do is... buy then eat the cake. Whereas baking the cake makes eating it a secondary priority, otherwise x would have just bought the premade cake.
This is about pragmatism and expedience, not the ideas themselves. In other words, this doesn't change the intent on eating cake.

you can do something towards the first goal which interferes with the second, but the end result and intention still being the first goal.
Then they don't belong in the same system, understand? Ideas of the same system do not interfere because they all inform the same "goal." For example, I cannot be a pacifist who murders.

Because it doesn't and I thought that would be more apparent
That was apparent. Now I'm asking how it's supposed to inform my being "factually incorrect"?

So people who believe in christ aren't christians? Is that what you're arguing?
No. I'm arguing that those who don't following the values taught by Jesus Christ aren't Christians.

This is basing off of the holy book described, which effectively defines christianity for us. 
Where in the Bible does it state that following just some of principles and values taught by Jesus would get one into heaven?

If someone were to follow all of Christ's teachings but not believe that he existed,
Then how are they following the teachings of Jesus Christ?

so in the hypothetical that the christian god exists, and follows the principles of the bible, that's how that would go down.
You haven't read the read the Bible, at least not enough of it:

In 1st Timothy 2:5
For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus;

In Revelation 19:10
Then I fell down at his feet to worship him, but he said to me, “You must not do that! I am a fellow servant with you and your brothers who hold to the testimony of Jesus. Worship God.” For the testimony of Jesus is the spirit of prophecy.
How does one subscribe to this part of the scriptures, and not believe Jesus Christ exists?

I explained in the lines above, notice the entire thing is a paragraph? That's because each sentence leads into the next. 
You explained nothing. You're just arguing in circles.

An assumption? That's most likely the case, that is if to say that whenever the cheese is on the counter, that someone left out that cheese is an assumption. And... considering that it was in exodus in a long list of rules.... that is at least a tenet of Christianity. 
What you think is "likely" is not an observation; where in combing through the teachings of Jesus Christ does it state to "stone gay people"? Nowhere.

Gonna explain yourself?
Do you require explanation informing how the absence of a proposition does not equate to the endorsement of a proposition's negation? In this entire conversation, neither you nor I have spoken out against rape; I guess we both endorse rape.

Mmm. no, I don't think you're arguing in good faith, so I'm sticking to what I said before.
I have not intention of conceiving an itemized list for you to see which ones you'll tag and bag. If it is indeed your impression that I'm not arguing "in good faith," then our discussion ends here. Enjoy the rest of your night, sir.

Tradesecret
Debates: 2
Tradesecret
-->
@Theweakeredge
Do you see a difference between libertarian progressiveness and Marxist - Lenin Progressiveness? 

Tradesecret
Tradesecret
-->
@Theweakeredge
Is that a little bit like being an atheist. All these competing views. 
Theweakeredge
Theweakeredge
-->
@Athias
I really don't feel bothered responding to the whole thing, I tried waiting for a bit, and maybe I'll get to more of it later, but currently I think its a long drawn out thing where you are ignoring entire paragraphs with a joke of a rebuttal. I get the impression you aren't taking it seriously.

Simply put - 

"Early childbirth is especially dangerous for adolescents and their infants. Compared to women between the ages of 20-35, pregnant women under 20 are at a greater risk for death and disease including bleeding during pregnancy, toxemia, hemorrhage, prolonged and difficult labor, severe anemia, and disability. Life-long social and economic disadvantages may be a consequence of teenage birth. Educational and career opportunities may be limited, as may be opportunities for marriage. Teen mothers tend to have larger completed family sizes, shorter birth intervals resulting in both poorer health status for the family, and a more severe level of poverty. The children also suffer; teens mothers have a higher incidence of low birth weight infants which is associated with birth injuries, serious childhood illness, and mental and physical disabilities. Adolescents' access to family planning information and services is limited. Government programs in developing countries have focused on older women to limit family size. In addition, national laws and local customs often prohibit minors from consenting to medical services. "

The consequences of sex early is dangerous, especially whenever the teenagers aren't properly educated because they are being force taught "abstinence". Furthermore, a high percentage of sex that is had, especially teenage, is coerced. Because teenagers are more easily manipulated then adults, because your brain is still in development until your 25, and lots of things, like alchohol, can permanently affect it in negative ways. Hence people wanting to up the age of consent. Abortion - is correcting something. Go on with your preaching bullshit about terminating all you like, abortion is not necessarily "termination." It is also the term for c-sections in later trimesters. 

To your next point - you keep on with ignoring my examples, I keep ignoring your repetitive rhetoric. I frankly don't care enough to respond to that long rabble of excuses, especially not whenever you dismiss half of my paragraphs with hand wavy excuses, that, to me, seem like you don't care about a dialouge.
Theweakeredge
Theweakeredge
-->
@Tradesecret
I don't particularly care, maybe there is, I haven't researched it. Neither, as far as I'm aware, describe my brand of it. Second of all, we've already talked about what you think of athiesm, and I think your replies there speak plenty for what you can prove about that. Finally, atheism isn't an ideology, it is literally just not believing something. So of course they believe opposite things, just like there are all kinds of theists who believe contradicting stuff. The only thing tying the groups of people together is their belief or lack of belief. 
Tradesecret
Tradesecret
-->
@Theweakeredge
So you don't recognize a difference between different forms of progressives - and yet neither describes your. That is interesting. How would you describe a progressive? 

Or is it just a non-belief in conservatism? 

LOL! You really don't even know what an atheist is. You just call yourself one for the sake of it. 

On this site - there are so many forms of atheists and so many definitions - that I actually think no one knows what one is. 

It has become ludicrous.  

It would be nice if someone would actually provide a definition that every one actually agrees with. Same with agnostic and with theist.  They just seem to words bandied about - and that each person changes along with the goal posts.  

You say a lack of belief ties them together - but even that is ridiculous.  After all - how can a lack of belief in something that no one is prepared to define even possible? It is simply rhetorical nonsense.   

Fact is - I don't think atheists exist. 
Theweakeredge
Theweakeredge
-->
@Tradesecret
First of all, I very particularly said that they could be - I simply said, as far as I'm aware neither describe my brand. Progressivism in general is a belief in social reform - think age of enlightenment. Not to say it's necessarily the "next big thing" but the values of moving forward for social equality and advancement. 

Cool. You don't believe in atheists. You also aren't the best at arguing for a god's existence, and still think that "testimony" is good enough evidence for your supposed god. Furthermore I have a pretty solid definition of god that I use regularly. The fact of that matter is that theists shift that around all the time, not the other way around. So typically I meet people where they are, the exception is whenever they try to make the definition of god an assertion. That's pedantic nonsense.

Finally, an appeal to ignorance isn't an argument, its a fallacy.