Author: MgtowDemon

Total: 127
MgtowDemon
Debates: 0
MgtowDemon
-->
@Imabench
I might have to bring back the Weekly Stupid for this shit 
Rather than ridiculing it, it would be preferable to engage with the sources and arguments, and thus reach a conclusion that is backed by them instead of feelings.

Even the chronic shit-poster Death23 is making substantial, evidence-backed claims now, and thus (finally) making worthwhile posts. If he can do it, anyone can.

Discipulus_Didicit
Debates: 9
Discipulus_Didicit
-->
@Death23
the labor is seasonal and follows the planting and harvesting seasons.
Good point, so easily over 60 hours a week during those seasons. In the modern U.S. any time over 60 hours a week is supposed to be paid double pay but double of nothing is nothing so I guess they didn't have to worry about that with slaves.
Death23
Debates: 24
Death23
MgtowDemon
MgtowDemon
U is in turn a product: hours/day x days/year x intensity/hour. The product U of the
slave plantations in the southern United States was greater than that of the non-slave ones
in the northern states, even though on average slaves worked 2798 hours/year and
workers in the plantations in the north worked 3100 hours/year. The difference (slaves
worked 10% less than the time of the non-slaves) is explained by the greater intensity of
the slave work hour: around 94%. John F. Olson, “Clock Time versus Real Time: A
Comparison of the Lengths of the Northern and Southern Agricultural Work Years,” in
Fogel and Engerman, Without Consent or Contract, 77-79.

Just so this is clear, John F. Olson is the one who calculated the hours per year worked. He did not purport the 94% figure. Fogel and Engerman did.

The conclusion they makes is clear, but I don't see how they reached it. Given that this is a paper citing a paper that cites papers, I wouldn't expect them to go into detail, but the fact is that we don't know how they reached this 94% figure. Mathematically, 94% implies that by working roughly twice as intensely, the slaves only saved 10% of time? Intuitively, it seems plausible that by working twice as hard, the slaves should have saved half the time. Again, we need to see the way in which they calculated this figure, in order to determine its veracity.

Also, you should attempt to contemplate how slaves were so much more efficient. How does one become twice as efficient in picking cotton? Were they sprinting between the cotton trees and delivery stations? Were they using equipment so advanced? Again, we don't yet know how Fogel and Engerman reached this conclusion.

In the meanwhile, I've already stated that "a study in 2015 by Trevor Logan found that his children were able to pick cotton at 95% the rate of the average, same-age slave *child* https://i.imgur.com/xnAtnnS.png ". Due to ethical issues, the children in the study weren't worked to the bone/whipped, so how were they able to produce similar results?

Furthermore, according to this study, the equipment used was relatively basic across all plantations (be it slave or free): "they used relatively little machinery". This eliminates one of the explanations for how efficiency could be so much higher. The study continues, referencing and using Fogel and Engerman's work on occasion, to show how slave plantations weren't particularly efficient, and part of that reason was that records and management weren't nearly as streamlined as we see today. Hence, again, there doesn't seem wriggle room to claim that slaves were so egregiously more efficient. Enterprising America: Businesses, Banks, and Credit Markets in Historical Perspective (nber.org)
Discipulus_Didicit
Discipulus_Didicit
Okay but if you don't consider over 60 hours per week for no pay to be excessive then why don't you tell us how many hours per week you work? Surely you must work at least that much to have the right to judge that such hours are no big deal.
Greyparrot
Debates: 4
Greyparrot
-->
@Discipulus_Didicit
Discipulus_Didicit
Discipulus_Didicit
-->
@Greyparrot
lol Kim.

That's a girl name.
Theweakeredge
Debates: 33
Theweakeredge
-->
@MgtowDemon
Look, I get you don't understand history, let me explain something: We don't have accurate or unbiased data collection fo 1600 to 1800s, so we use our only evidence we have, documents. These are all primary or secondary sources, which are the best sorts, and if two independent sources collaborate each other, that typically means that they are true. Especially if the sources of these sources agree with each other. Thats how history works 

MgtowDemon
MgtowDemon
-->
@Theweakeredge
Look, I get you don't understand history, let me explain something
You are so kind. I wish I was an expert historian at the age of 16.

We don't have accurate or unbiased data collection fo 1600 to 1800s
Nope, we have the U.S. census data. We also have the average hours worked of free farmers and slaves, of which *both* sides of the argument agree on. That's just to name a few.

so we use our only evidence we have, documents. These are all primary or secondary sources, which are the best sorts, and if two independent sources collaborate each other, that typically means that they are true
Your anecdotes just don't cut it, little guy. I'm not interested in reading "all slaves were beaten and brutally treated" when we have data that shows the slaves were growing taller than their masters, because they were so well treated. I'm not interested in reading "slaves were worked to the bone", when we have data that shows they worked considerably *less* hours than comparable free farmers.

Again, I'm not interested in you spamming a bunch of "sources", of which you said it was my duty to read (it's not. You are making the argument, thus, you have the burden of proof).  United States slaves were, overall, treated quite well (debateart.com) . If you can't be bothered to read your sources and make an actual argument, then don't reply to me.

Death23
Death23
The evidence you've presented isn't comprehensive. You have shown adult food rations, literacy rates, and hours worked per year. I would look toward the quality of food, housing, healthcare, education, working conditions, and personal security and dignity, just off the top of my head. If I were to debate this seriously, I would simply deny that slaves were "treated quite well" on the basis that I lack knowledge or information sufficient to form a belief about the treatment of slaves in those areas. "You are making the argument, thus, you have the burden of proof."
MgtowDemon
MgtowDemon
The evidence you've presented isn't comprehensive. You have shown adult food rations, literacy rates, and hours worked per year. I would look toward the quality of food, housing, healthcare, education, working conditions, and personal security and dignity, just off the top of my head. If I were to debate this seriously, I would simply deny that slaves were "treated quite well" on the basis that I lack knowledge or information sufficient to form a belief about the treatment of slaves in those areas. "You are making the argument, thus, you have the burden of proof."
This is essentially a concession.

The fact that common, leftwing narrative claims have been dismantled by my data, shows that the leftwing narrative isn't trustworthy. Sure, I don't have every data point on every facet of slavery, but I have a lot and they blow the leftwing narrative out of the water. If I'm, as a layman, am able to find and articulate data that proves the leftwing narrative wrong, why would anyone still agree with it? Why would you continue to believe something that has been caught lying multiple times?

What I believe is happening here is that people are indoctrinated from a young age, before they are able to think, into believing that U.S. slavery was as bad as a genocide. Then, when they get into adulthood, they'll come up against people like me, and they'll quickly realise that they have no idea why they believe what they believe. That's why they write drive-by comments, Wikipedia one-liners, anecdotes from a random website, or just spam a bunch of sources they haven't read. In other words, they're trying to rationalise their beliefs, rather than citing what built them. You were doing the same thing, until recently. 
Death23
Death23
-->
@MgtowDemon
This is essentially a concession.
I don’t see how.

I don't have every data point on every facet of slavery, but I have a lot
To satisfy the burden of proof you must have enough. The claim here is that the slaves were “treated quite well” - That claim is broad and encompasses the totality of the treatment of slaves. What you have is adult food rations, literacy rates and hours worked per year. That is hardly adequate. There is a lot more to life than that, as I pointed out in my previous post.

Also, I know that the source which shows adult food intake also states that childhood food intake was rather poor. That is relevant evidence and it was hard to miss.

EDIT: If you’d like to point out that the portrayal of antebellum slavery in textbooks is misleading that’s a different issue. History books often are. We hear a lot about how horrible the internment of the Japanese was. We hardly ever hear about the Nihau incident.
Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@Death23
 Nihau means "hello there!" in Chinese.

Coincidence?

Most reliable sources on Slavery says it was a mixed bag. Slaves were very expensive. Maltreatment wasn't something owners could afford, so starving their slaves to death would be like starving their working livestock (horses and cows and oxen) to death. Similarly, punishing them to the point where it affected their work output was the exception, not the rule. The worst cases of punishment usually revolved around escape attempts. Much of the worst punishments actually came from the slaves themselves that the owners appointed to do so.
Death23
Death23
-->
@Greyparrot
I think it's actually "Niʻihau" but eh
Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@Death23
It is, I was just being silly. Ni Hao is the Mandarin.
Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@Death23
An 1800's slave cost 92,000 dollars to buy in today's dollars. Sheesh.

A small plantation of 50 slaves made about 7 million dollars a year.
Barney
Debates: 50
Barney
A thread like this is cutting right on the line of what the CoC allows, but does not seem to quite be crossing it. If later posts cross the line, please report them.

From the CoC:
Violence and Criminal Behavior
  • You may not threaten or promote violence against any person or persons, barring hyperbole against public figures (e.g., “all politicians should be shot”). Advocacy in favor of terrorism and/or violent extremism, especially as related to hate groups as generally defined by the SPLC, is likewise prohibited.
  • You may not promote or encourage suicide or self harm.
  • You may not engage in or promote criminal activity.
  • You may not engage in or promote the sexual exploitation of minors.

From the OP:
Firstly, I'd like to say that I don't condone slavery and I actively will speak out against it. However, in regards to the slavery conditions of the United States, slaves were treated quite well, relative to the bogus official narrative peddled in U.S. schools.

A thread like this seems intended to stir controversy leveraging the backfire effect,  but at least from that first post it is not crossing the line into any obvious CoC violations (even if probably everyone in the moderation team disdains said post).

-Ragnar, DM
Barney
Barney
On a personal note, it doesn't matter if crimes against humanity far worse than anything we can imagine were not quite as horrible as we presume. They were still horrible beyond our ability to imagine, and the perpetrators were objectively evil.

To use an analogy, having your fingernails pulled out doesn't hurt nearly as much as you would imagine before it happens, yet that something is less awful, doesn't make it a positive experience.
MgtowDemon
MgtowDemon
-->
@Barney
On a personal note, it doesn't matter if crimes against humanity far worse than anything we can imagine were not quite as horrible as we presume. They were still horrible beyond our ability to imagine, and the perpetrators were objectively evil.
This is precisely the hyperbolic nonsense that inspired me to write this thread.

The fact is that slaves were treated better in the United States than anywhere else in the world, being far kinder than the Chinese, Jews, Arabs and Africans themselves. The American slaves would have been slaves had they stayed in Africa, too, so it isn't as if they were held captive against their will and would have been free otherwise. It's incredibly irresponsible to rattle off a source-less opinion piece that is so damning of something you've failed to demonstrate knowledge of. If you can't be bothered to cite anything you write, and if all you want to do is emote, then you don't belong in this thread.

Again, just for the record, I'd never condone slavery and it shouldn't exist in our civilised societies, but that doesn't mean Africans were barbarically treated in the United States en masse. 

MgtowDemon
MgtowDemon
To satisfy the burden of proof you must have enough. The claim here is that the slaves were “treated quite well” - That claim is broad and encompasses the totality of the treatment of slaves. What you have is adult food rations, literacy rates and hours worked per year. That is hardly adequate. There is a lot more to life than that, as I pointed out in my previous post.
I've covered substantial. Slaves worked 54 hours a week, and thus that and sleeping (similar amount of time: 56 hours) accounted for most of the time. Eating accounts for a little time, too. That's the majority of the time accounted for.

I suppose I could have added how poorly slaves were treated in Africa, especially compared to the United States, and thus by virtue of being shipped across, African slaves were treated better as slaves in the United States when compared with Africa. This (correctly) assumes that slave supplies were inelastic. Perhaps this should be included in a 2.0 version of this thread, of which would account for criticism of this one.

Also, I know that the source which shows adult food intake also states that childhood food intake was rather poor. That is relevant evidence and it was hard to miss.
Absolutely. Albeit, this is the only data-driven source that suggests slaves were treated poorly, but it is a rather damning one.

EDIT: If you’d like to point out that the portrayal of antebellum slavery in textbooks is misleading that’s a different issue. History books often are. We hear a lot about how horrible the internment of the Japanese was. We hardly ever hear about the Nihau incident.
"Misleading" isn't sufficient. As an Australian, I was only taught about how evil the White American man was to slaves. I never heard about the Japanese. I never heard about the Arabs and their slaves. Or the Chinese. Or the Jews. Or the Africans. Yet, it was the Americans who were the ones who abolished slavery.

This isn't "misleading". It is outright slanderous and condemns the people who were the kindest to slaves.

Barney
Barney
-->
@MgtowDemon
This is precisely the hyperbolic nonsense that inspired me to write this thread.
You haven't demonstrated it to be nonsense, you've just bemoaned that it used ethics.

The fact is that slaves were treated better in the United States than anywhere else in the world,
You seem to have missed the key word: slave. Something being less awful, still does not magically make it good.

The American slaves would have been slaves had they stayed in Africa,
That fails in any way to absolve the choice of involvement, a choice which further incentivized slavers.

It's incredibly irresponsible to rattle off a source-less opinion piece that is so damning of something you've failed to demonstrate knowledge of. 
I have elsewhere on this site countless times. In a debate I would bring out my sources to support that bad is bad, torture is torture, and evil is evil. This isn't a formal debate. Plus you're ranting about lack of knowledge to one of the very rare people with first hand knowledge of the horrors of slavery...

I'd never condone slavery and it shouldn't exist in our civilised societies,
At least we agree on something. To me a society falls below the threshold of being civilized if slavery is legal and/or socially acceptable.

but that doesn't mean Africans were barbarically treated in the United States en masse. 
And as previously stated: "having your fingernails pulled out doesn't hurt nearly as much as you would imagine before it happens, yet that something is less awful, doesn't make it a positive"
MgtowDemon
MgtowDemon
-->
@Barney
You haven't demonstrated it to be nonsense, you've just bemoaned that it used ethics.
Merely the OP demonstrates that, on several relevant points, you are woefully incorrect. It isn't "far worse than anything we can imagine", or whatever virtue-signaling platitude you'd like to use instead. We have data, we have artefacts, we have anecdotes etc.

In fact, the whole thread demonstrates what you are saying is nonsense.

You seem to have missed the key word: slave. Something being less awful, still does not magically make it good.
"Good" is an extremely slippery term that could mean a myriad of things, so you'll have to define it.

That fails in any way to absolve the choice of involvement, a choice which further incentivized slavers.
Contextually, slavery was rampant throughout the world -- you need to acknowledge this. Perhaps, in a similar vain, people of the future will look back on our current treatment of animals, in that we use and kill them for their flesh. Morality is born of pro-social group consensus; it isn't objective.

We should be applauding the Americans of past for evolving morality into a better state, rather than condemning them for what was, at the time, normal.

I have elsewhere on this site countless times. In a debate I would bring out my sources to support that bad is bad, torture is torture, and evil is evil. This isn't a formal debate. Plus you're ranting about lack of knowledge to one of the very rare people with first hand knowledge of the horrors of slavery
If you're going to be lazy and refuse to contribute properly, then do so elsewhere. 

At least we agree on something. To me a society falls below the threshold of being civilized if slavery is legal and/or socially acceptable.
Again, you haven't contextualised the environment. Similar to how you'd own a dog, Americans bought and owned African slaves. Very rarely, a slave owner would treat his slaves incredibly harshly. In other parts of the world, slave brutality was far more commonplace. 

Furthermore, I have yet to see you rail against the Arabs, Jews and Africans for their brutal treatment of slaves.

And as previously stated: "having your fingernails pulled out doesn't hurt nearly as much as you would imagine before it happens, yet that something is less awful, doesn't make it a positive"
Your analogy is nearly worthless, in that serves to show your inability to contribute properly.

Either post substantial data/sources to add weight to your arguments, or get out.
Barney
Barney
With the extreme racism shown by the original poster (such as claiming that enslaving a black person is little different than owning a dog), I am done attempting to interact here.

I suggests others learn from my mistake and likewise ignore the varelse.
MgtowDemon
MgtowDemon
-->
@Barney
extreme racism
That's a stupid term and you are stupid for using it: Using the terms "racism" and "racist" makes you look stupid (debateart.com)

such as claiming that enslaving a black person is little different than owning a dog
Nope, I said it was similar, meaning there are parallels to be drawn, but it's certainly not little difference.

I've also said, repeatedly, that I don't condone or want slavery to exist.

I am done attempting to interact here.
It's probably for the best, seeing that all you're capable of doing is virtue-signaling with hyperbolic platitudes, and then sobbing when people with data and actual arguments don't agree with you.
Theweakeredge
Theweakeredge
-->
@MgtowDemon
The point you haven't addressed is that primary sources are the ONLY reliable way to prove x correct or incorrect whenever it comes to these things, the evidence we do have does not support your claims, the "sources" you have, again do not support your claims, the best they do is contradict you, these are primary sources or linking to primary sources which holds the actual preponderance of the evidence, I have fulfilled my burden by providing sources to prove my assertion, now it is your turn to actually investigate something. 

MgtowDemon
MgtowDemon
-->
@Theweakeredge
I have fulfilled my burden by providing sources to prove my assertion
Absolutely not, and at this point you're intentionally lying. Unfortunately, this isn't an irl debate, so you can't get away with such egregious lying.

I responded by asking you to elaborate on your sources to demonstrate that they weren't mere anecdotes: United States slaves were, overall, treated quite well (debateart.com)

You then told me that it was "my burden" to do this: United States slaves were, overall, treated quite well (debateart.com)

Thus, you never attempted to prove your assertion. In fact, you told me that it was *my* responsibility to do so, you liar.

This is the second time you've attempted to shirk your responsibility to engage with genuine criticism of your opinion : 12th - 18th Century Europe's war on murder resulted in positive genetic change in Europeans (debateart.com) .

Until you can properly contribute to conversations, you will take no further part in this conversation.
Theweakeredge
Theweakeredge
-->
@MgtowDemon
What no, they are primary sources, do you not understand how historicity works? Clearly not. There are no data collections that can be verified for that time period, and no way to verify what you are saying is accurate, your own source contradicts you with the point that child slaves were not fed well at all, the evidence points to you lying, I have provided sources, you have not demonstrated that you have investigated anything. Due to you literally repeating yourself, I think I follow Ragnar, you think your right, great, have fun with that. If you want to actually debate, make a debate and talk about getting your own judges that you choose, sense you don't seem to trust anyone on this website. Have fun with all of that. 
Death23
Death23
I've covered substantial. Slaves worked 54 hours a week, and thus that and sleeping (similar amount of time: 56 hours) accounted for most of the time. Eating accounts for a little time, too. That's the majority of the time accounted for.

I suppose I could have added how poorly slaves were treated in Africa, especially compared to the United States, and thus by virtue of being shipped across, African slaves were treated better as slaves in the United States when compared with Africa. This (correctly) assumes that slave supplies were inelastic. Perhaps this should be included in a 2.0 version of this thread, of which would account for criticism of this one.

What you've covered isn't sufficient to make a prima facie case that could withstand a general denial. The claim is that "United States slaves were, overall, treated quite well". OK, lets break that down - "treated quite well" - You have not qualified this claim by saying that it was according to the standards of the time, or that they were treated "quite well" compared other slaves throughout history. So, the default standard is going to be contemporary interpersonal treatment. Next - Treated by who? Presumably this is referring to their treatment from the those who were in authority - The slave owners, the state, and the agents thereof (it's probably not referring to how the slaves may have treated one another). Working strongly against your case is the fact that they were treated as slaves. Applying contemporary standards, if I were to treat someone as a slave - regarding them as property - that would work very strongly against any claim that I am treating that person "quite well". The factual allegation that they were treated as slaves is built in to your case. Notwisthstanding that, I would still say it's possible to overcome that if, perhaps, the other aspects of their treatment was extremely good. If you claimed that "aside from being regarded as property, slaves in the United States were, overall, treated quite well compared to other slaves historically" that would be different, but that is not what you wrote.

Further, there are far too many missing aspects of their treatment which are unaddressed by your evidence. What was the quality of their working conditions? What was the quality of their housing? What was the quality of their clothing? What was the quality of their healthcare? What was the quality of their food? What were typical working conditions? etc., and your insistence on data-driven sources makes it very difficult to construct an evidence-based case.

Absolutely. Albeit, this is the only data-driven source that suggests slaves were treated poorly, but it is a rather damning one.
Suppressing damning evidence undermines credibility.

"Misleading" isn't sufficient. As an Australian, I was only taught about how evil the White American man was to slaves. I never heard about the Japanese. I never heard about the Arabs and their slaves. Or the Chinese. Or the Jews. Or the Africans. Yet, it was the Americans who were the ones who abolished slavery. This isn't "misleading". It is outright slanderous and condemns the people who were the kindest to slaves.
Those people are long dead, and so are the slaves. In my view nobody alive today is responsible nor can take credit for anything that they did. Commitment to accuracy is important, though.

MgtowDemon
MgtowDemon
-->
@Theweakeredge
Due to your continued refusal to explain your sources, moreover how they are relevant/disproving to/of points being made, you are no longer a part of this conversation.

Run along now, child.
Danielle
Debates: 3
Danielle
-->
@Greyparrot
The worst cases of punishment usually revolved around escape attempts.
That is not why so many slaves were raped.