XMAS MAFIA - END GAME

Author: Danielle

Total: 192
LikeMagic
Debates: 0
LikeMagic
-->
@drafterman
As I said before, I’m not aware that it’s SOP to claim hated and it was your role that allowed us to win early. We were able to play as recklessly as we did because we knew your role.
It is SOP.

and you played a role in the loss by not being able to get support for your point of view. Reads mean nothing if you can’t turn them into lynches and you failed to do so. It is a positive requirement on your part, as an unconfirmed player, to convince people to lynch your scum reads.
I literally have asked for constructive feedback on how to better present my reads. Instead I am being told my reads were baseless and to the extent they were right it was luck and not at all a reflection of a skill in scum hunting. 

Instead you called people assholes.
I only called you an asshole in response to a specific, unnecessarily antagonistic specific post

I was responding to something lunatic said about my "reads" on whiteflame. I have acknowledged multiple times that my read on Pie was almost full town. lIKE pie was top 3 townie in my analysis. 

As a scum in this game, I’m perfectly happy with your play and was completely unphased by you scum reading me because you were unable to do anything with it. Not sure why you think I’m annoyed at that.
Again, this is a very insulting thing to say and an absolutely unnecessary attempt to diminish me and make me feel small. It speaks more to your character that you feel the need to keep doing this, than it does to my actual quality and impact on the game. 
Bullish
Bullish
-->
@LikeMagic
Magic, I literally offered to buddy you at the beginning of DP1. And here in the endgame thread we literally both scum read the same person for the same reason. And then the moment I said you derailed your own wagon which by the functional history of the wagon you did, the conversation devolves. A normal person would have just said "oh yeah I should stick my my guns more next time."  Instead you start making it about me and deny what you did.
LikeMagic
LikeMagic
-->
@Bullish
and BTW I voted Water in the same minute that1 and yourself voted white, so at that time I was weighing 2 wagons that had the same number of votes. The moment I saw white had more votes I hopped on that wagon, which is exactly what I expect at least some other players to do, and more players would have done had white been at 4 votes for longer.
there was a lot happening in that last 2 hours, including a lot of new scum reads. I do not agree that me keeping my vote on White would have resulted in his lynch, based on who was online at that time and their articulated positions on white. But I do think it is a good note when I am so certain on a read to not give up. though at the same time I was pretty convinced Drafter was scum at that point too and arguably his play was more obviously so, so it was a hard call. I made a calculation in that last hour and thought I had a best chance with drafter because he was more likely to draw votes from Speed, MisterChris, and Supa, with Luna on the wagon. Most people were scum reading you, and I thought drafter was scum, so I did not think you two would be as effective at coralling votes as Luna. 
Bullish
Bullish
-->
@LikeMagic
See there's a normal reply
Lunatic
Debates: 3
Lunatic
-->
@LikeMagic
Due to ego or whatever else, instead of coming into this game like Supa and That1 and being like holly shit you called it, wish we listened to you, the instinct is to try and demean and undermine me and invalidate my play to the extent it was successful at all. Hell you could even reflect and be like, maybe I would have listened to you if you have presented it X way and give me that note. Instead you just pretend I was baselessly tunneling, without skill, analysis, logic, or understanding. It is insane. 
This is absolutely ridiculous, I showed you multiple times that you were listened to, just not agreed with. Nobody came in here gloating but you. Are you expecting everyone to just worship you as a mafia goddess? What reaction are you expecting? I've been right for the wrong reasons plenty of times. Buddamoose hosted a game once where I called out 2 of the 3 scum and gloated like an @ss in the endgame, and people reacted to me the same way they are reacting to you. I didn't see it then, but I looked back on the endgame thread and the game itself and realized yeah my reads were kind of crap, and I was being the @sshole by claiming people were dumb for not listening to me. I hope you have the same moment of realization, instead of thinking your a mafia god and everyone else just sucks. 

Even scum, instead of being like damn Magic, you had me figured out, you had me nervous feels the need to diminish my play for whatever egotistical satisfaction it brings them in their play. 
The fact that scum are saying this isn't for ego reasons, I've seen scum teams be humble plenty of times here. Maybe if everyone is saying the same thing it's because they have a point. Or maybe your just a god and were all nooby plebs who can learn alot from just submitting to your unstoppable will in every game. Idk.

I spent 90% of this game correctly targeting one/two of the three scum players, and yet I have been antagonized by nearly every player and blamed for your own unwillingness to consider my accurate reads. It is crazy. 
You throw words out pretty loosely that suggest you are constantly being attacked and on defensive, when it fact it's the opposite. I didn't say a damned thing to you and I wouldn't have, but I did expect you to come in and blame me in the endgame, and you DID. And now we are the assholes for defending ourselves, and somehow you made it about you being attacked. This is victim mentality to the next level.
Lunatic
Lunatic
-->
@LikeMagic
Stop claiming I called everyone assholes. It is a lie. 

You suggested I was an asshole when I was trying very hard not to be one and even told you multiple times that your read makes sense even though I dis-agreed with it. I am usually un-appologetically an asshole, but was specifically treading lightly with you in the game because I know how easily enraged you can get. And I still ended up getting called an asshole..
ILikePie5
Debates: 2
ILikePie5
-->
@Speedrace
come join the fun Mr. You Should Not Shoot NP1 as Vigilante 
LikeMagic
LikeMagic
-->
@Bullish
Magic, I literally offered to buddy you at the beginning of DP1. And here in the endgame thread we literally both scum read the same person for the same reason. And then the moment I said you derailed your own wagon which by the functional history of the wagon you did, the conversation devolves. A normal person would have just said "oh yeah I should stick my my guns more next time."  Instead you start making it about me and deny what you did.
Up until the point where you made a personal attack against me, the conversation had not devolved. I merely disagreed and argued why I disagreed with your position that I derailed my wagon. I still do not think keeping my vote on white would have resulted in his lynch, but do think it is a good note generally that when convincing people is a struggle stubbornly sticking to your guns is sometimes the best answer. Hard to do, but worth considering. That said, nothing I said prior to your personal attack warranted your personal attack IMO. but bygones or whatever. 
Vader
Debates: 30
Vader
Balance felt swingy.
LikeMagic
LikeMagic
-->
@Lunatic
Dude are you kidding? 

1) I didn't attack, nor blame you. I defended water from your attempt to put undue emphasis or blame on him. I said you are equally to blame. That is not me solely blaming you. There are multiple reasons we lost the game including balance, bad luck, water's fake claim, good moves at pushing/rushing the DP2 lynch by scum, and refusal to give weight to my reads (for whatever reason) etc. You seem to have come into the endgame feeling anticipatorily defensive of me then read my post which was more about how much waters should be blamed than you as validation of your need to be defense and responsively antagonistic. 

2) the use of asshole in the game was tongue and cheek and is not at all relevant to what is being said in this thread. 

3) I have never acted as god. I have asked for constructive feedback on how to better argue my perspective and instead you and others feel the need to instead imply my reads were baseless, idiotic, illogical, worthless, foundationless/factless tunneling etc. It is very much demeaning for people to be doing this and is especially disappointing that you would. Even now saying "I too have been right for the wrong reasons." Like wtf is that? Multiple people, including danielle have said my reads and reasoning were sound, yet your instinct is to undercut it. I even said in the game that getting people to actually vote for my reads isn't a strength, humbling myself to the fact that I need improvement in that regard, yet you cannot just say "you know what magic good call, heres how you can argue it differently next time, or I need to look back at my own play and reflect on how I missed X and why I couldn't be convinced by you." All I know is if roles were reversed I would be like holy shit Tuf, how TF did you know?! I would never try to invalidate you in the manner multiple people are attempting to invalidate me here. 

4) I have given credit to multiple players, including Pie and Whiteflame, so I am not acting superior nor asking for credit. Instead my defenses of my play are in direct response to attempts to imply my reads were nonsense, in spite of being right. 

LikeMagic
LikeMagic
-->
@ILikePie5
come join the fun Mr. You Should Not Shoot NP1 as Vigilante 
why not? is that SOP? I was happy with this play. It had a pretty big town benefit. 
Lunatic
Lunatic
-->
@LikeMagic
Dude are you kidding? 
No.

1) I didn't attack, nor blame you. I defended water from your attempt to put undue emphasis or blame on him. I said you are equally to blame. That is not me solely blaming you. There are multiple reasons we lost the game including balance, bad luck, water's fake claim, good moves at pushing/rushing the DP2 lynch by scum, and refusal to give weight to my reads (for whatever reason) etc. You seem to have come into the endgame feeling anticipatorily defensive of me then read my post which was more about how much waters should be blamed than you as validation of your need to be defense and responsively antagonistic.
I wasn't putting undue emphasis on him, and it wasn't an all too serious reprimand towards him. "Slap on the wrist" is generally a term where someone teases you about messing up. For context though, Waterphoenix not reading his role PM this game doesn't really get much of an excuse, because he wasted a protective role in a recent game by targetting a claimed bulletproof. I am teasing him for being lazy, which played a big role in the loss, though the larger part was due to balancing a hated with a vote thief. If I seem anticipatorily defensive of you, it's because your behavior towards me in the game suggested you probably were gonna do exactly what you did. The entire game you kept saying the same thing about no one listening to you and undermining you when I was trying my hardest to show you that I WAS listening to you even though I didn't agree with you on the point about whiteflame. That said I wasn't going to say anything if you weren't. I have had that same respect with other players I commonly dis-agree with. Me and drafter commonly get in bouts and when one or the other is proven right in the endgame, I rarely wanna be the guy who says "I told you so" because in the next game I could be wrong, and he could be right. For all the talk of asshole behaviors, I think gloating over being right takes the cake in most cases.

2) the use of asshole in the game was tongue and cheek and is not at all relevant to what is being said in this thread. 
With you, it's hard to interpret sometimes. I've seen you blow off the handle at mikal in live mafia for example. Normally mikal doesn't just sit idly and let people throw insults at him like that, but we make an exception for you because we like you. I think you get angry or flustered very easily. The very first game I played with you for example, you wanted to quit when we got into it. I realized at that point I have to be less aggressive than normal when playing with you, because winning as scum wasn't more important than actually having a player that reads and contributes and isn't lazy. I try to stick to that with you when we play live mafia, and in forum mafia. The whole game you STILL kept saying I was undermining you or disrespecting your read, etc etc. Forgive me for not knowing the line of tongue and cheek jokes vs you being serious, especially since you just said you don't like playing forum games because of our reactions to you. It's like walking on egg shells.

3) I have never acted as god. I have asked for constructive feedback on how to better argue my perspective and instead you and others feel the need to instead imply my reads were baseless, idiotic, illogical, worthless, foundationless/factless tunneling etc. It is very much demeaning for people to be doing this and is especially disappointing that you would. Even now saying "I too have been right for the wrong reasons." Like wtf is that? Multiple people, including danielle have said my reads and reasoning were sound, yet your instinct is to undercut it. I even said in the game that getting people to actually vote for my reads isn't a strength, humbling myself to the fact that I need improvement in that regard, yet you cannot just say "you know what magic good call, heres how you can argue it differently next time, or I need to look back at my own play and reflect on how I missed X and why I couldn't be convinced by you." All I know is if roles were reversed I would be like holy shit Tuf, how TF did you know?! I would never try to invalidate you in the manner multiple people are attempting to invalidate me here. 
I have responded in that way before several times with people who are right. And I do give you credit, mostly for the drafter read. I maintain my position about whiteflame, though that you were scum reading him for a behavior he uses as town. If you want to see that as an insult, that's your perogative. I did congratulate you on being right, and I still do, even if I dis-agreed with your reasons. You called me out before any real congratulations could be made. Also like I said, I expected you to do what you did, so I wanted to wait and see how humble you were going to act before giving you a compliment. Strange, when you call someone out that they don't come groveling to you and praising you. Aren't we humans odd? *sigh*

4) I have given credit to multiple players, including Pie and Whiteflame, so I am not acting superior nor asking for credit. Instead my defenses of my play are in direct response to attempts to imply my reads were nonsense, in spite of being right. 
Let's be fair here, and credit that was given to whiteflame was also you calling him a liar as he was literally telling you he would have acted the same way as town. In giving him credit for a mafia game, you stole credit from him as a human. Not sure the pay off is there. 
LikeMagic
LikeMagic
-->
@Lunatic
If I seem anticipatorily defensive of you, it's because your behavior towards me in the game suggested you probably were gonna do exactly what you did. The entire game you kept saying the same thing about no one listening to you and undermining you when I was trying my hardest to show you that I WAS listening to you even though I didn't agree with you on the point about whiteflame.
You simultaneously acknowledge my frustration  at no one listening to me then make it seem personal to you. Anyone would be frustrated to be right about reads and not be able to convince enough town. It wasn't personal, and I also said I needed to work on how to better argue my reads since convincing town is important. You seem to be be reading personal issues and emotion into things that aren't there. I find this interesting since so many players do crazy irrational, seemingly emotional things on the regular including regularly rage quitting or sabotaging the game when people don't do exactly what they say, yet you do not seem to have the same concerns about this. I do not behave this way, yet you are now expressing some weird concern with my "emotional" behavior. It is worth exploring why that double standard is. 

I've seen you blow off the handle at mikal in live mafia for example. Normally mikal doesn't just sit idly and let people throw insults at him like that, but we make an exception for you because we like you. I think you get angry or flustered very easily.
The fact that you are referencing Mikal here demonstrates the point for me. Maybe it's a woman thing, I dunno, but Mikal is a prime example of a player who flies off the handle in the game and will willingly blow up a game if people simply do not listen to him or lynch his chosen target. I think he would acknowledge it and laugh about it, and from what I have seen he does the same thing in forum. The fact is  y'all constantly yell at each other and get super aggressive, call each other idiots, go on aggressive diatribes and tangents, but the moment I do something remotely similar or express the slightest frustration, everyone is like "woah woah chill." I think it's a gendered thing. It is something I have discussed with danielle,  because i don't get the double standard. But nonetheless it's unfair and frustrating.

The very first game I played with you for example, you wanted to quit when we got into it. I realized at that point I have to be less aggressive than normal when playing with you, because winning as scum wasn't more important than actually having a player that reads and contributes and isn't lazy. I try to stick to that with you when we play live mafia, and in forum mafia....especially since you just said you don't like playing forum games because of our reactions to you. It's like walking on egg shells.
The reality is, game is game. I don't actually take any of it personally, until people make it personal like they have in this thread. I get frustrated like everyone, get annoyed with balance issues like everyone, but for some reason it is met negativity when I do it. In that lovers game we are referencing you used semi-personal attacks in the game as a tactic to discredit my read of you as scum, since you were scum. I literally said in that game that I hoped you were scum and this was a psychological tactic, because if so I would respect it, clearly indicating my belief that game is game. I think that the reality is you're probs a nice guy IRL who is honorable and believes you should treat woman with a certain level of decorum and consideration. I think it is this sense of honor that makes you more sensitive to potentially frustrating, angering, enraging, or upsetting a woman during a game of psychological manipulation. But I have never expected nor acted like I should be treated less aggressively than other players. However, I also expect to be allowed to be enraged, frustrated, annoyed, petty, and sore at times,  just like every player I have played this game with. Whether those reactions are authentic or  contrived. 

You've always been a player I have respect for, but based on your description of me it doesn't seem you enjoy playing mafia with me, which is totes fine. Mafia isn't very important to me, and I only joined this game and the last game because danielle asked. I don't need to keep playing.

The whole game you STILL kept saying I was undermining you or disrespecting your read, etc etc. Forgive me for not knowing the line of tongue and cheek jokes vs you being serious,
Again, I need to clarify that I have no issue with disagreeing on reads. We are town and have to be inherently suspicious of each other. Reads are hard. I take issue with being told, especially in endgame that I 'stumbled on' my 'baseless' reads with no logical grounds. Suggesting an articulated read was discovered by chance, very much is a dig at the skill and quality of a player. 

For all the talk of asshole behaviors, I think gloating over being right takes the cake in most cases.
I never said I told you so or gloated. You and others started off by immediately making numerous comments about my reads being baseless and invalid even though they "happen" to be right, like some broken clock I responded in defense to these insulting statements by noting my reads were not baseless and that it is insulting to try and discredit them instead of think hmm maybe this human isn't an idiot and came to these conclusions for logical reasons. 

I maintain my position about whiteflame, though that you were scum reading him for a behavior he uses as town. If you want to see that as an insult, that's your perogative.
I have no problem with your disagreement on whiteflame, I take issue with you implying my read was baseless tunnelling and that I stumbled onto a read without any valuable analysis. Something you implied multiple times throughout this thread, as well as others, not just in comments to me but in exchanges with other players. It is rude. I respect you as a player and if you nail reads in a game and I turn out to be wrong you can bet your ass I am going to be like "Tuf, what did you see that I didn't" and not imply that a broken clock is correct even once a day. 

I did congratulate you on being right, and I still do, even if I dis-agreed with your reasons.
I thanked you and acknowledged you for that. Thank you again.

You called me out before any real congratulations could be made. Also like I said, I expected you to do what you did, so I wanted to wait and see how humble you were going to act before giving you a compliment.
I didn't call you out, I said you are at equal blame for the loss as water. Because it's not fair to put that on water. The lynch was rushed and no time was given to assessing what motive a scum water would have to lie about Pie, a widely townread player, knowing Pie could turn around and contradict him immediately as a living player. if he was fake claiming he could have just ended his results with "I saw speedrace visit Supa." No need to bring Pie into it. So while I do think Water's miss-claim was hurtful to town, it was not the largest factor in the loss. Scum's play in that DP was very good, so water was simply outmatched.

Strange, when you call someone out that they don't come groveling to you and praising you. Aren't we humans odd? *sigh*
I don't know what you're talking about, I never expected groveling or praise, I expected you not to imply that I came to the conclusions on my accurate reads based on faulty logic or essentially chance.

Let's be fair here, and credit that was given to whiteflame was also you calling him a liar as he was literally telling you he would have acted the same way as town. In giving him credit for a mafia game, you stole credit from him as a human. Not sure the pay off is there. 
This is a game and he is a player in it. I was explaining a phenomena in the game that is hard to recognize, something I am pretty sure (could be wrong) that you explained to me years ago. I, in end game ,was convinced I played super townie and couldn't understand why certain players read me scum since  I was certain I was playing very consistent with my town meta. I believe you pointed out that I was scum so no matter what, every action is colored by my knowledged perspective and a motivation that is not the same as towns. I believe you also said, the very fact that I was reflecting on my behavior and whether it was consistent with my town meta, is a scum exercise in itself.  I read Whiteflame as scum as did a few others. There is nothing dehumanizing in me noting that he should not assume he plays 100% consistent as town and scum, since the probability of same is small and it will deprive him of an opportunity to reflect on what stood out to people to improve his scum play next time. Notably, danielle identified some inconsistencies between his town v. scum play styles. At the same time I acknowledged that in the end his playstile convinced enough people which is a win. 

Notably, I offered this positive feedback in response to comments by him, in exchange with you, implying that I stumbled onto the right answer but had no valid basis for doing so. 
ILikePie5
Debates: 2
ILikePie5
-->
@LikeMagic
why not? is that SOP? I was happy with this play. It had a pretty big town benefit. 
I got flamed for doing it last game albeit it was redirected 
Vader
Vader
Ahh an endgame flamewar. Please proceed while I start aggressively slamming my hands to the keyboard to the soundtrack from Death Note where Light Yagami takes a chip and he eats it *aggressively types that you are a moron* I’ll take my hand, and slam it to the computer!! 
Vader
Vader
Lunatic
Lunatic
-->
@LikeMagic
You simultaneously acknowledge my frustration  at no one listening to me then make it seem personal to you. Anyone would be frustrated to be right about reads and not be able to convince enough town. It wasn't personal, and I also said I needed to work on how to better argue my reads since convincing town is important. You seem to be be reading personal issues and emotion into things that aren't there. I find this interesting since so many players do crazy irrational, seemingly emotional things on the regular including regularly rage quitting or sabotaging the game when people don't do exactly what they say, yet you do not seem to have the same concerns about this. I do not behave this way, yet you are now expressing some weird concern with my "emotional" behavior. It is worth exploring why that double standard is. 
I react the same to other players the same as I act towards you. Mike I lecture about his play and dis-agree with him all the time. We don't view the game through the same lens, that's fine. You don't seem fine with that. If I have a different take than you it seems like you take it personally. If I am wrong, then fine, but that's the impression I get based on the words you use. You say things that are just objectively not true and run with them continually saying you are being ignored, when in contrast I am giving you props for your read but saying I dis-agree with it. You feel like your are being shut out, which isn't the case. You were so focused on the fact that I didn't agree with you on whiteflame that you didn't want work with me in lynching drafter, our mutual read, at the end of the day phase. 

The fact is  y'all constantly yell at each other and get super aggressive, call each other idiots, go on aggressive diatribes and tangents, but the moment I do something remotely similar or express the slightest frustration, everyone is like "woah woah chill." I think it's a gendered thing. It is something I have discussed with danielle,  because i don't get the double standard. But nonetheless it's unfair and frustrating.
Oh lord, I was really hoping you wouldn't pull the man card here, but slightly expected it. What an annoying argument. No but I really do lecture mike any time he pulls that sh1t. Like hard. I don't treat interactions with him differently than I do with you. Maybe it's because I have known Mike for 6 years, and only met you a couple of years ago and have only interacted with you in mafia games. Mike though doesn't always consistently play the same way, and will occasionally play a game seriously, so it's hard to constantly hold him to the same standard. Makes it frustrating to play with him. My point with you is that you tend to blow up on people easily. When you talk in the discord I sense genuine anger, and I don't know how to respond to it without further pissing you off and making you leave, which you have left the discord before in a dispute with YYW. I am one of those people that if an argument is literally going to cause someone to stop playing or quit, i'd rather just take me out of the situation and let them play. Danielle knows you better than me, and it seems she was joking mostly, but even she was like "Ima dip before Magic yells at me". Again, mostly a joke, but I am sure there is truth to that because I also remember you flipping out at here in a DDO game for using a Yakuza, which was a common mafia role. I don't know you well enough to judge genuine rage from joking, to whatever else. I don't want mafia games to get personal, but it felt like you kept trying to make this one personal, like any time someone didn't agree with you it was a personal attack. Maybe my interpretation is wrong, but that is the vibe I get, thus the "walking on eggshells" feeling.

The reality is, game is game. I don't actually take any of it personally, until people make it personal like they have in this thread. I get frustrated like everyone, get annoyed with balance issues like everyone, but for some reason it is met negativity when I do it. In that lovers game we are referencing you used semi-personal attacks in the game as a tactic to discredit my read of you as scum, since you were scum. I literally said in that game that I hoped you were scum and this was a psychological tactic, because if so I would respect it, clearly indicating my belief that game is game. I think that the reality is you're probs a nice guy IRL who is honorable and believes you should treat woman with a certain level of decorum and consideration. I think it is this sense of honor that makes you more sensitive to potentially frustrating, angering, enraging, or upsetting a woman during a game of psychological manipulation. But I have never expected nor acted like I should be treated less aggressively than other players. However, I also expect to be allowed to be enraged, frustrated, annoyed, petty, and sore at times,  just like every player I have played this game with. Whether those reactions are authentic or  contrived. 

You've always been a player I have respect for, but based on your description of me it doesn't seem you enjoy playing mafia with me, which is totes fine. Mafia isn't very important to me, and I only joined this game and the last game because danielle asked. I don't need to keep playing.
As to the last part, it's seriously not that big of a deal. Maybe I over interpreted your rage for something more serious than it is, but it wouldn't prevent me from signing up in games with you. I played many games with YYW and with drafterman, two people I almost never see eye to eye with on anything. Like you said the game is a game. I enjoy playing with you, the only reason I mentioned anything about this was in defense of you calling me out in the beginning of the thread. It's not a big deal and I clean slate it going into the next one. I guess your point here is that I am looking too much into your anger, and maybe I should just let it go or not acknowledge it going forward? I can try to do that.

Again, I need to clarify that I have no issue with disagreeing on reads. We are town and have to be inherently suspicious of each other. Reads are hard. I take issue with being told, especially in endgame that I 'stumbled on' my 'baseless' reads with no logical grounds. Suggesting an articulated read was discovered by chance, very much is a dig at the skill and quality of a player. 
I NEVER CALLED YOUR READ BASLESS. I said there was logical basis to your read, but I dis-agreed. 

I never said I told you so or gloated. You and others started off by immediately making numerous comments about my reads being baseless and invalid even though they "happen" to be right, like some broken clock I responded in defense to these insulting statements by noting my reads were not baseless and that it is insulting to try and discredit them instead of think hmm maybe this human isn't an idiot and came to these conclusions for logical reasons. 
Please qoute where I said your reads were baseless. Being right for the wrong reasons isn't an insult. I do it all the time. I'm usually just happy that I helped participate on a scum lynch in those scenarios. Your post 17 clearly read like gloating to me, but maybe I am mis-interpreting that somehow? 

I have no problem with your disagreement on whiteflame, I take issue with you implying my read was baseless tunnelling and that I stumbled onto a read without any valuable analysis. Something you implied multiple times throughout this thread, as well as others, not just in comments to me but in exchanges with other players. It is rude. I respect you as a player and if you nail reads in a game and I turn out to be wrong you can bet your ass I am going to be like "Tuf, what did you see that I didn't" and not imply that a broken clock is correct even once a day. 
I literally did not tell other players your read was baseless. Maybe you internalized something I said so hard that it led you to fabricate a situation where I was talking sh1t on you to other players, but it's not based on reality. Me, danielle, elminster, all scum read whiteflame at one point for similar behaviors that you called him out for in this game. It wouldn't make sense to discredit your read. The read was good, it just happened to be wrong in conjunction with whiteflame, as he literally has proven to play that way as both affiliations. It's a null tell once you've played with him, but the behavior is something people agree is generally scummy. 

I didn't call you out, I said you are at equal blame for the loss as water. Because it's not fair to put that on water. The lynch was rushed and no time was given to assessing what motive a scum water would have to lie about Pie, a widely townread player, knowing Pie could turn around and contradict him immediately as a living player. if he was fake claiming he could have just ended his results with "I saw speedrace visit Supa." No need to bring Pie into it. So while I do think Water's miss-claim was hurtful to town, it was not the largest factor in the loss. Scum's play in that DP was very good, so water was simply outmatched.
Again, I also don't think water's thing was the largest aspect to towns loss, I am teasing him though because he has been prone to mistakes like this lately and doesn't really have an excuse anymore. That said I am not seriously offenced by it, and even when we were lynching him acknowledged that there was a likely scenario where he was town fvcking up. Considering the stakes of the mess up, I think it's free game to tease him for it. Also water knows and acknowledges the laziness, he usually jokes back about it like he did near the end of DP1 when he said "Yeah, it's ya boi" after I teased him then.

This is a game and he is a player in it. I was explaining a phenomena in the game that is hard to recognize, something I am pretty sure (could be wrong) that you explained to me years ago. I, in end game ,was convinced I played super townie and couldn't understand why certain players read me scum since  I was certain I was playing very consistent with my town meta. I believe you pointed out that I was scum so no matter what, every action is colored by my knowledged perspective and a motivation that is not the same as towns. I believe you also said, the very fact that I was reflecting on my behavior and whether it was consistent with my town meta, is a scum exercise in itself.  I read Whiteflame as scum as did a few others. There is nothing dehumanizing in me noting that he should not assume he plays 100% consistent as town and scum, since the probability of same is small and it will deprive him of an opportunity to reflect on what stood out to people to improve his scum play next time. Notably, danielle identified some inconsistencies between his town v. scum play styles. At the same time I acknowledged that in the end his playstile convinced enough people which is a win. 

Notably, I offered this positive feedback in response to comments by him, in exchange with you, implying that I stumbled onto the right answer but had no valid basis for doing so. 
I don't remember this conversation honestly. What game was it? My opinions change frequently in mafia, and I am hardly the same player I used to be. I read old games of mine all the time and half the time can't even process that it was me that said certain things because it seems very different than my thoughts now. 
Lunatic
Lunatic
-->
@Vader

Love this song! Death note is great.
WaterPhoenix
Debates: 12
WaterPhoenix
-->
@drafterman
bruh you were scum? i would've never thought that. why didn't you just take the free hated policy lynch dp1
WaterPhoenix
WaterPhoenix
-->
@Lunatic
owie
WaterPhoenix
WaterPhoenix
also, i want to apologize to everyone for my terrible misplay this game lol
drafterman
Debates: 6
drafterman
-->
@WaterPhoenix
Because we saved her for the free game win on DP2
drafterman
drafterman
-->
@LikeMagic
As I said before, I’m not aware that it’s SOP to claim hated and it was your role that allowed us to win early. We were able to play as recklessly as we did because we knew your role.
It is SOP.
I've been playing this game for almost a decade on this site and have never seen it SOP to claim it immediately.

and you played a role in the loss by not being able to get support for your point of view. Reads mean nothing if you can’t turn them into lynches and you failed to do so. It is a positive requirement on your part, as an unconfirmed player, to convince people to lynch your scum reads.
I literally have asked for constructive feedback on how to better present my reads.
Every time I provide it, you say I'm insulting you. As I said, the first stop is to actually admit that your play wasn't perfect and to be open to the criticism you've receive. You ask for it, then when you get it, you become argumentative and defensive.

Instead I am being told my reads were baseless and to the extent they were right it was luck and not at all a reflection of a skill in scum hunting. 
And it's impossible for that statement to be correct?

Instead you called people assholes.
I only called you an asshole in response to a specific, unnecessarily antagonistic specific post
My post was completely in line with the tone of your post that it was in reply to. Tournabout is fair play.

I was responding to something lunatic said about my "reads" on whiteflame. I have acknowledged multiple times that my read on Pie was almost full town. lIKE pie was top 3 townie in my analysis. 
Ok, fair enough.

As a scum in this game, I’m perfectly happy with your play and was completely unphased by you scum reading me because you were unable to do anything with it. Not sure why you think I’m annoyed at that.
Again, this is a very insulting thing to say and an absolutely unnecessary attempt to diminish me and make me feel small. It speaks more to your character that you feel the need to keep doing this, than it does to my actual quality and impact on the game. 
It isn't an insult. You keep saying about how "nervous" and "annoyed" you made/are making me. I'm simply repudiating these claims. I was neither made nervous by you in the game nor am annoyed by you now. What does it say about your character that you feel the need to assert what negative feelings you believe you are inducing in them?

I fully believe your antagonistic and defensive behavior contributed to the inability of Town to form a cohesive entity in order to properly pressure and lynch people. Mechanically, I am not sure there was a path to a win here but you failed to adequately bond with people to form a voting bloc - including people who were willing to lynch the people you wanted to lynch! You took everything as an insult (as you are now) and were more worried about defending yourself and arguing your point of view then actually lynching scum.

And at the end of the day that's what counts: you're ability to get scum lynched. And that requires Town to go on the offensive. Rather than go on and on about why you're right and everyone else is wrong, find the common ground with people whose votes you need to get the people you want lynched, lynched. And you didn't do that.

That is your constructive criticism:

• Don't be so argumentative - you'll alienate the people you're arguing with and everyone else will just tune you out;
  • Don't be so defensive - you're not being attacked nearly as much as you think you are and it puts focus on you, taking it away from other people;
  • Stop giving a shit about being right - this is a game where a it's a job of a significant part of the player base to undermine you. Stop taking everything as a personal insult and move on.
  • Find common ground - If you want scum lynched you need help from other people. So instead of acting like a person that has it all figured out and everyone should just follow your infallible lead, act like a person that needs help from other people. Because you do and you can't win without it.
  • Remember that it is a team game - You're on a team, part of an affiliation. You win as a team. You lose as a team. Coming out and saying nothing was your fault and it was everyone else is being a poor team member and is poor sportsmanship.

drafterman
drafterman
-->
@Danielle
@Lunatic
@Bullish
Am I off base with the above criticism?
Danielle
Danielle
-->
@drafterman
I've been playing this game for almost a decade on this site and have never seen it SOP to claim it immediately.

There was a Hated townie in the very last game we played (Anime Mafia). He immediately claimed Hated as SOP 

Part of the reason Mafia shouldn't be given fake claims.

I 1,000% disagree with this. The next time I'm scum without a fake claim I probably won't even bother trying to look for one and che sera sera. It is so annoying that most games are primarily broken by theme analysis and character claims. Take last game for example. I don't know dick about anime so right off the bat I'm at a disadvantage. But suppose one of us scum was pressured to claim early on DP1. I could have claimed a TV anime character only for people to realize on DP2 the town is all movie characters. Therefore I could have been found scum for no other reason than I picked a wrong character right off the bat. That's not scum hunting. That was town getting lucky. It's stupid and barely even qualifies as the game of Mafia IMO, but that's how the majority of (especially early) lynches are decided. I think with a wide theme like Christmas scum probs shouldn't have been given fake claims, but really including a Hated was my big mistake. I honestly don't think you guys would have won if she wasn't Hated :P 

Am I off base with the above criticism?

No I think that is very fair and constructive feedback, though she usually doesn't play anywhere near as aggressively as last game  o_o 

Danielle
Danielle
Everyone knows what it's like to feel CERTAIN someone is scum but no one listens. In fact Supa got very upset about that in a game recently where he lamented that nobody ever listens to him, and he was right about his reads in that game but we killed him :/ So I agree with Magic there is disparity in  how some people are listened to more and how some people get away with playing, but I don't think it has to do with gender.

For instance if Speed made the exact same case in defense of Water on dp2 I don't think Water would have been lynched so hastily. Not because Speed is male, but because people would value his reads differently just based on his experience + familiarity with the players/roles + other things including a general skill of being persuasive. He would have said it a lot more relaxed. She was trying to persuade people by yelling out bullet points whereas Speed could just say "It's Supa" and we're like... yeah, it's Supa! Lol it takes time to build that kind of rapport. 

I think with more experience playing forum games she would see most people can't convince others when speaking with such assuredness, but with limited exposure to games and players I could see why it's frustrating to feel like your input isn't valued. Last game drafter got away with stating "I'm not claiming" and this game "I'm not giving reads" and nobody said anything, but I bet if some others did that it would never fly. That frustrates me as well but again I disagree it's a gender thing.  

Danielle
Danielle
-->
@LikeMagic
Maybe you really were fully inactive from the game during that period, but I would be curious if you were inactive in your scum PM through that whole period of time, before I would be willing to let go of the fact that it appeared you were trying to stay under the radar and let me scum read fizzle out (a good strategy by the way, so there's not reason to be offended by it).

You are right. whiteflame was active in the scum PM. 

You have to keep in mind though that nobody KNOWS your reads are correct - not even you! Even if people believe you're 100% town and you know you're town, that doesn't mean they necessarily have to believe your read on whiteflame. I have no idea how you were so confident in your read on him. I get that you caught some logical inconsistencies, but town makes mistakes all the time -- look at Water! lol 

I agree you CRUSHED it in this game, but you can't take it personally that people were not 100% on board. 

Speedrace
Debates: 63
Speedrace
WHY DIDN'T Y'ALL LYNCH PIE
Speedrace
Debates: 63
Speedrace
AND I CALLED DRAFTER
Danielle
Danielle
-->
@Lunatic
It was a huge mistake to not lynch whiteflame on DP2 imo. You knew Magic was really given a carol (cuz she thought you gave it to her lol) so you knew that one of the people on her list was def town, i.e. you. That gave you a 50/50 shot of hitting scum blindly with the other two names even assuming her read on whiteflame was wrong.

I would have assumed Water or Chris was scum but saved that for the next DP.  Had the vote thief been killed, scum having 2 people vs. all those town power roles would have been an interesting and good game. I honestly don't think scum would have won had Magic not been Hated. That was my bad. But thank you for not yelling at me cuz I didn't yell at you after you gave scum that TAILOR ROLE ;P