Should we defund the police?

Author: Theweakeredge

Total: 247
Theweakeredge
Debates: 33
Theweakeredge
-->
@Dr.Franklin
okay.. and how did you reach that conclusion?
Wagyu
Debates: 9
Wagyu
-->
@Theweakeredge
Defunding the police because they're doing a "bad job" is like taking food away from a starving child because he's hungry. 
Theweakeredge
Theweakeredge
-->
@Wagyu
I would argue that its more like putting a toddler in time out for punching their sibling.
Wagyu
Wagyu
-->
@Theweakeredge
Then I would reply by saying it's like putting all children in time out because one kid punched their sibling. 
Theweakeredge
Theweakeredge
-->
@Wagyu
Oh so you think the problem isn't systemic? Let me address this in a form that might be similar to you: You are committing a fallacy here, a categorical fallacy, you are assuming that individual action is what we are punishing. While that is part of it (the analogy was simply over simplified for you to understand, but woo boy here we go), the problem is the lack of responsibility and accountability in the police departments. Furthermore, their inefficiency at their job is another big problem, especially whenever we have actually tested ways to reduce crime that doesn't include dramatically upticked brutality. Even furthermore,  the fact that such a thing is literally an updated slave patrol should be acknowledged. This isn't even talking about the MILITARY GRADE EQUIPMENT held by civilians.... so yeah, there are a bunch of reasons why the police should be defunded.
Wagyu
Wagyu
-->
@Theweakeredge
Oh so you think the problem isn't systemic? 
no

Let me address this in a form that might be similar to you: You are committing a fallacy here, a categorical fallacy, you are assuming that individual action is what we are punishing.
Sure seems like that case when you are punishing all police, instead of those who mess up their job.

Furthermore, their inefficiency at their job is another big problem,
I feel like people like you do not appreciate how hard being a police officer is. Everyday, police are fighting crime for our country, risking their lives for others, and what they get in return is a bunch of cock heads blocking the road, preventing a critically injured officers from reaching the hospital. Nevertheless, uninformed activists have keenly stepped up to the chance to humiliate officers, by placing themselves in situations alike that which an officer might find themselves in and showing just how easy it is. Of course, in the scenarios activists failed to keep the public and themselves safe.

A thing I have found lefties love doing is to put race into every single equation there is, and to deconstruct national pride at all cost. Take police killings as an example. In America, 1099 people were killed by police due to lethal force (remember, not all of these people killed are acts of injustice. Some include police shooting down maniacs running around killing people). Now compare that to medical errors, which killed 100, 000 Americans last year. For some reason, I don’t see any snowflake liberals prancing around with their signs at hospitals…

Theweakeredge
Theweakeredge
-->
@Wagyu
Wow... look ignoring half of my points and continuing to uphold the police... you are aware that a significant amount of police officers are in, non lethal areas the majority of the time right? You are aware that police brutality is 1/12th of all murders in the US? Were you aware that these officers are being protected for murdering people? This isn't just black people mind you, though it is mostly them, this is also women and, to a much less extent, men. In fact, killings of women by police has quadrupled in the past decade.... what does that tell you? I don't even feel the need to address all of your "points" until you address all of my original ones. Cry me a river conservative snowflake.
Dr.Franklin
Debates: 32
Dr.Franklin
-->
@Theweakeredge
lack of convincing evidence and evidence against the resolution

defunding the police only hinders crime-fighting abilities, and there hasn't been any success, only failures
Theweakeredge
Theweakeredge
-->
@Dr.Franklin
Citation needed ^^
Dr.Franklin
Dr.Franklin
-->
@Theweakeredge
is there any area where it has worked?
Conway
Debates: 0
Conway
-->
@Dr.Franklin
The United States, early 1800's
Theweakeredge
Theweakeredge
-->
@Dr.Franklin
Every society before the 1800s or so yeah, even empires didn't have regular police forces.
Theweakeredge
Theweakeredge
-->
@Dr.Franklin
Furthermore, asking me to prove the opposite does not fulfill your burden, that is a tu quoque. Please provide evidence of your claim
Dr.Franklin
Dr.Franklin
-->
@Theweakeredge
it really inst my job to prove why it shouldnt, thats on you
Dr.Franklin
Dr.Franklin
-->
@Theweakeredge
@Conway
they were obviously ways of controlling crime before the police came around and BEFORE 1800,  I am talking about the MODERN movement where it wants to defund the MODERN police
Theweakeredge
Theweakeredge
-->
@Dr.Franklin
You made a specific claim, yes it is my burden to prove that we should defund the police, but you were the one who asserted that the police were the ones upholding law and order, and that is your claim
fauxlaw
Debates: 77
fauxlaw
-->
@Theweakeredge
Clearly, the problem of policy brutality is not a systemic issue. Show me the city policy manual, from any city, that condones, and, in fact, stipulates bad police behavior. It's not there, and is, therefore, not a systemic problem. It is a problem of individuals who violate stanidng po,licy policy. That more than one do so still does not make it systemic, but just individuals who choose to disobey. So, you're going to defund the entire department for the actions of a small percentage? You invite chaos that is worse the the actions of a few bad individuals. That it nonsense and dangerous.
Theweakeredge
Theweakeredge
-->
@fauxlaw
The rules which dictate when you should draw your weapon,  the policing systems in general and lack of proper accountability clearly dictate a systemic issue. Have you not read my response to your first claim here? Please inform yourself in this regard, as in, please read my first response to you.
Conway
Conway
-->
@Dr.Franklin
they were obviously ways of controlling crime before the police came around and BEFORE 1800,  I am talking about the MODERN movement where it wants to defund the MODERN police
If the the more recently developed police departments are defunded, that would leave law enforcement duties up to Sheriffs, Constables, and their deputies, like in the 1800's before government councils started appointing their own police.

Bringerofrain
Debates: 7
Bringerofrain
-->
@Theweakeredge
What specific use of force rule is wrong? Right now they can shoot if they reasonably believe their life or the life of another is in danger. What is incorrect about that?
FLRW
FLRW
-->
@Theweakeredge

What specific use of force rule is wrong? Right now they can shoot if they reasonably believe the person is black and holding a cell phone. What is incorrect about that?

Theweakeredge
Theweakeredge
-->
@Bringerofrain
That people aren't very reasonable in this aspect.
Bringerofrain
Bringerofrain
-->
@Theweakeredge
I believe civilians aren't very reasonable. Cops are trained to see potential threats earlier than a civilian. It's why civilians will think a suspect is no longer dangerous when his hands are in the air for example. Or how civilians are unfamiliar with the 21 foot rule and think a suspect with a knife or other weapon such as a rake are not a threat just because they are 21 feet away. It's why civilians don't understand common sense things like, if you wait for the suspect to actually draw his weapon you are already dead, so you depend on body language to predict when they are about to draw. . It's why civilians are confused with the fact a car can be used as a deadly weapon and are shocked when police shoot a suspect who is attempting to gain access to a vehicle when he was warned to stay still.
Bringerofrain
Bringerofrain
-->
@FLRW
I have seen footage of a person pointing a cellphone at a cop like it was a gun and getting shot. It was late at night and very dark.  Are you claiming a white guy who appears to be drawing down on a cop is less likely to get shot? Are cops so racist that they will allow whites to shoot them? It seems far fetched.
FLRW
FLRW
-->
@Bringerofrain
Yes, if the person wasn't black he would not be shot.
Theweakeredge
Theweakeredge
-->
@Bringerofrain
You see - killing somebody because you suspect them to be a criminal is unreasonable. Especially whenever such a bias exists systemically
Bringerofrain
Bringerofrain
-->
@FLRW
I I think you are seriously deluded if you think a cop would just allow a white guy to kill him.
Bringerofrain
Bringerofrain
-->
@Theweakeredge
A lot of the people killed by cops May in fact be innocent of the crime they're suspected of. That is beside the point use of force has nothing to do with whether a suspect is guilty of the crime is being investigated for or stopped by the cop for. Use of force would be determined by the suspects behavior not by the suspects actual guilt of the crime. A jury decides guilt. A cop shouldn't allow himself to be killed whether the suspect he is interacting with is guilty or innocent.
Theweakeredge
Theweakeredge
-->
@Bringerofrain
"Allow themselves to be killed" that is assuming that they would be killed. Wanna know a fun statistic? Even though black people are killed at a rate 3 times White people, Black people are less likely to have drugs or weapons on them when shot, did you know that? The numbers do not back up your views.
Bringerofrain
Bringerofrain
-->
@Theweakeredge
Not sure what drugs have to do with whether a suspect is a threat. 

Look, cops are armed. That means if they are ever incapacitated the person who incapacitated them will have access to their fire arm. Black suspects are more likely to resist arrest and make themselves threats.

If we look at demographics, american indians are the biggest demographic in terms of police use of force. Do you think there is more racism towards American Indians than blacks in the United States? Or could something else be in play? Perhaps suspects who feel more alienated from the larger society are more likely to view the police as an occupying force and resist arrest. Perhaps resisting arrest is the better metric in determining what groups are a threat to an officer as opposed to whether the cop has x ray vision and knows if they are armed and have drugs on them.