@Theweakeredge
It seems you don't understand what this means:

brazant appeals to authority
Also, "brazant" isn't a word.  
coal
Debates: 6
coal
I reiterate:

If you are interested in substantively discussing the issues implicated by police misconduct, we can do that.  But I haven't seen anything on your end that would suggest you are interested in doing so.  

It is almost as if you want me to tell you how right you are and how morally superior you are for wanting to defund the police.  This is praise and affirmation you might get from the inept on twitter and woke leftist college kids and their professors, but no serious person thinks that defunding the police is a good idea.  

coal
coal
 The question of this thread is: Should we defund the police? And you answered no - now supplement that with your own argument
My response: 

Thomas Sowell and Malcolm Gladwell . . . . [I] and incorporate their arguments here as my own.  If this concept is too difficult for you understand then there really isn't a whole lot of point in speaking. 
Your reply (decoded):

I do not want to read and learn, or understand anything.  I just want to pretend like I know what I am talking about. 

Vader
Debates: 30
Vader
-->
@Theweakeredge
Then you compare that to getting a prosthetic finger. It's only a temporary solution that does nothing. Your finger is still missing

The point I am trying to say is that by defunding the police and replacing it with whatever solution you have, you ultimately are weakening society more than developing it. No one here is arguing that police need reforms, but to take an extreme measure as to defund an entire branch of law enforcement puts our system in danger. 

The point is law enforcement is essential to our society and there's no way we can say that law enforcement is. Do you believe that we should hold murderers accountable? There needs to be fixing within our system for sure, but to abolish that would do nothing to benefit society. I would listen to coal/YYW's posts
Greyparrot
Debates: 4
Greyparrot
-->
@coal
What is your opinion of Dave Rubin?
Theweakeredge
Debates: 33
Theweakeredge
-->
@Vader
And I pointed out that I disagree - law enforcement isn't essential to society - ancient societies functioned for centuries without them, take the city state of Athens, famous for its groundbreaking thinking and ideals that a lot of the modern west is based off of. I said that your analogy was a false equivalence, and you haven't really challenged that, just reiterated what you think
Theweakeredge
Theweakeredge
-->
@coal
Coal  - you have two options - one: make an argument, or two: continue being a little shit and get blocked

Your choice
coal
coal
Grayparrot, get a load of this:

continue being a little shit and get blocked
haha the mouth on this child 
coal
coal
-->
@Vader
coal/YYW's 
YYW is dead.  Coal is an obsolete energy source.  
coal
coal
-->
@Greyparrot
What is your opinion of Dave Rubin?

I think he's kind of a moron, but he has a nice "everyman" quality to him.  I also like to see gay guys think about politics outside of the little boxes that leftists try to put us in. 
Vader
Vader
-->
@coal
haha the mouth on this child 
The school system has taught the children to be complete brats to the elders. It would make sense that he acts up when you present facts

YYW has transformed into an obsolete energy source named coal
Vader
Vader
-->
@Theweakeredge
I don't know where you are from in the US and granted I do not care, but I am from Chicago. I have had police help me countless times in incidents where my belongings were stolen or when a group of thugs tried to intimidate us. The police have protected us from the violent crimes happening to me. Do you think that the same thing were to occur if no law enforcement was there?

I assume you live in a sheltered area where you are spoon-fed information to you about big cities. We need to have a form of law enforcement. You can state all you want about my culture and it's history. Yes from 1200-900BC there were no laws, but the peak of Ancient Greece was in 500BC, where we established fair and reasonable laws by Draco that protected the citizen. That time frame where no laws where in place was not the peak of Ancient Greece.
Theweakeredge
Theweakeredge
-->
@coal
"presenting facts" huh, I've yet to see you substantiate a single argument - as for respect you earn that - you don't get it immediately, well you might have, but then you decided to be all of the above ad hominems, all I've wanted is for you to make your own argument instead of making appeals to authority

Stop using my label as an excuse to not debate, now - one more chance bud
Theweakeredge
Theweakeredge
-->
@Vader
Dude I literally live in the middle of west texas with several gangs in my city - i am saying that no - a police force is not needed to protect its citizens - police forces often incite gang violence - interesting huh? Its fun how much you and your ilk like to assume who I am and then make an argument with that assumption baked in, furthermore, anecodtes aren't enough to convince me much of anything - give me reasoning why your analogy isn't a false equivalence that isn't anecdotal, and explain why a specialized police force more like the FBI or hospital staff trained to de-escalate riots, and help people with mental illness (you know, instead of shooting them) couldn't replace a police force - its literally a more efficient version, as most cops don't see any violent activity (by the way, my dad was a marine, and my step dad is a cop, so please stop it with your fucking cop outs)
Vader
Vader
-->
@Theweakeredge
You expect the FBI to come when someone is robbing a gas station? Better yet, use hospital staff (who could be saving lives through their surgery and rescuing people), to go and try to talk to a mentally insane person? This is the funniest joke. Ahh yes the FBI should come defuse a robbery and take away from finding and hunting down serial killers. 
Greyparrot
Greyparrot
I think he's kind of a moron, but he has a nice "everyman" quality to him.  I also like to see gay guys think about politics outside of the little boxes that leftists try to put us in. 
I agree, I was particularly moved when he discussed the emotions involved with raising a family.
coal
coal
-->
@Vader
The school system has taught the children to be complete brats to the elders.

I wouldn't exactly call myself an "elder."  But the tenor of this other guy's attitude is amusing to me.  He wants to discuss these issues at the level of "defund the police," without a thought for what happens next on the assumption that somehow doing "something" is necessary going to improve the situation. 

He also didn't read my thread with Double R, which he should. 

coal
coal
-->
@Greyparrot
I agree, I was particularly moved when he discussed the emotions involved with raising a family.
He reminds me of a guy I dated in college.  

Does Rubin have kids?  Did he adopt?  I didn't realize. 

Vader
Vader
-->
@coal
Ironically he references Ancient Greece. Little does he know that Ancient Greece boomed when Draco created laws and reformed them. 
coal
coal
-->
@Vader
I don't mind that he's animated and kind of a brat.  I'm sure if he's in school in Texas, he's been paddled more than several times (and will likely be paddled more than several more throughout the course of his time in school).   That might sort him out.

Theweakeredge
Theweakeredge
-->
@coal
Ah I see -shithead it is - have fun being a brat
coal
coal
I think we both know that if you used that kind of language in school, they'd send you to the principal's office to get swats.  Is this your only outlet? 
Theweakeredge
Theweakeredge
-->
@Vader
As for you - historical veracity is important 

Draco's Code:
"Draco's laws were known for their cruelty and their bias towards the rich landowners as opposed to those who found themselves owing money. His series of drastic punishments (the origin of the term 'draconian') for a variety of crimes were not actually in force for long and certainly did not succeed in their aim. This rudimentary law-code of which we know only the provisions regarding homicide were written, according to tradition and myth in blood because of their perceived cruelty. Below are some examples quoted in The Athenian Contitution (translated by the author according to Inscriptiones Greacae 1 115):"
…political rights (in Athens) can only belong to those that carry weapons. These rights are especially for lower rank lords whereas in order for someone to be elected as a general or head of cavalry (ίππαρχος, ipparxos) he should have a fortune of over 100 mnes and have a legitimate Athenian wife and children over 10 years old.
He who kills another Athenian, without a purpose or by accident should be banished from Athens for ever. If the killer apologizes to the family of the murdered man and the family accepts the apology, then the murderer may stay in Athens.
A relative of a murder victim, can hunt and take into custody the murderer and thus hand him to the authorities where he will be judged. If a relative kills the murderer he will not be allowed to enter the Athenian Forum («αγορά», agora), or participate in competitions or set foot into sacred places...
Theweakeredge
Theweakeredge
Perhaps basic fact-checking is beyond your so-called "experts"

Lemme guess, you like Ben Shapiro too?
coal
coal
Theweakeredge says: 

Lemme guess, you like Ben Shapiro too?
Nope. 

Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@coal
Does Rubin have kids?  Did he adopt?  I didn't realize. 
He is using a surrogate mother I believe.
Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@Vader
The school system has taught the children to be complete brats to the elders. 

There used to be a social consequence for disrespecting elders, namely, the denial of collaborative participation where the rude person isn't allowed to learn from their elders. Today there are no consequences for bad behavior.
coal
coal
-->
@Greyparrot
Surrogacy just creeps me out.  It's something my ex boyfriend and I seriously discussed (like for years in the future) because we both agreed that at some point in our lives we wanted kids, but I could not go that route.

That being said, it is prohibitively complicated to adopt as a gay couple even in liberal cities.  Which is one of the greatest tragedies of our time.  

There are no shortage of gay/lesbian couples out there that would make fantastic parents, yet somehow if you don't fit the mold you still get looks. 

I think in some countries like Canada and Northern Europe it's easier, but in the US it's tens of thousands of dollars in fees, more paperwork than a tax lawyer would have to file and a level of intrusion into your life and affairs that is beyond unreasonable. 

Meanwhile, they hand off kids to straight evangelicals that wind up abusing them left and right.  
coal
coal
-->
@Greyparrot
There used to be a social consequence for disrespecting elders, namely, the denial of collaborative participation where the rude person isn't allowed to learn from their elders. Today there are no consequences for bad behavior.

Well, he does have one penalty:  He doesn't get to talk with me about something he actually wants to talk about.  
Vader
Vader
-->
@Theweakeredge
And his laws were reformed. Point is you are wrong about your understanding of the peak of Greeks and should refrain from using analogies to Ancient Greece