Total: 74
whiteflame
Debates: 27
whiteflame
-->
@RationalMadman
Not really sure how this shows disagreement with my statement. I'm not arguing that one side is more or less valid than the other (and clearly, I do view the liberal side as having the stronger argument on most issues), but rather that each side has limited consideration of the arguments from the other side, and tends to apply similar logic to a broad spate of issues, even when doing so becomes less and less pragmatic.

I do agree with you here:

The problem is that when you keep saying the 'other side' is the issue, without exaggerating and being ready to seem like the bad guy, the other side can win elections, by successfully making you out to be the villain instead. 
That's part of the point I'm getting at, though not quite the full measure of it. There's a certain degree of ideological purity we expect from our politicians these days, to the point that there's a lot of infighting about what can and should be the core of each party, and what should be excluded. That leads to a lot of infighting, which is another reason that each party can end up losing elections.

Theweakeredge
Debates: 33
Theweakeredge
-->
@whiteflame
Actually I'm kind of interested, in what issues would you be more "conservative"?
whiteflame
whiteflame
-->
@Theweakeredge
I guess that all depends on what you look at as a more conservative opinion. I guess we could go through the list of questions given here as examples. Off the top of my head from this particular quiz, though, I do see a lot of benefit to private enterprise pursuing research that don't happen in the public sector. I think there are some instances where civil liberties should be curtailed to improve our security, though in some cases I believe we've gone too far in that direction. I'm usually quite supportive of pursuing new technology, but I think there should always be discussions regarding how it's used before rolling it out (and sometimes not roll it out, when the situation calls for it). I am actually pretty generally supportive of gun rights, though that's largely for pragmatic reasons regarding how people tend to respond to the issue of having their guns taken away. While I do think the immigration system has moved way too far in this direction, I do feel that it should remain somewhat restrictive, and don't support efforts to open borders substantially.
3RU7AL
Debates: 3
3RU7AL
-->
@Discipulus_Didicit
Knock yourself out.

3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@whiteflame
I guess that all depends on what you look at as a more conservative opinion. I guess we could go through the list of questions given here as examples. Off the top of my head from this particular quiz, though, I do see a lot of benefit to private enterprise pursuing research that don't happen in the public sector. I think there are some instances where civil liberties should be curtailed to improve our security, though in some cases I believe we've gone too far in that direction. I'm usually quite supportive of pursuing new technology, but I think there should always be discussions regarding how it's used before rolling it out (and sometimes not roll it out, when the situation calls for it). I am actually pretty generally supportive of gun rights, though that's largely for pragmatic reasons regarding how people tend to respond to the issue of having their guns taken away. While I do think the immigration system has moved way too far in this direction, I do feel that it should remain somewhat restrictive, and don't support efforts to open borders substantially.
In other words, a one-dimensional, even eight different one-dimensional monopoles do not accurately reflect your position.
Theweakeredge
Theweakeredge
-->
@3RU7AL
Yay.... I don't think I've ever seen such biased critique, and I agree with some of them.
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@whiteflame
each side has limited consideration of the arguments from the other side, and tends to apply similar logic to a broad spate of issues, even when doing so becomes less and less pragmatic.
RationalMadman
Debates: 564
RationalMadman
-->
@3RU7AL
You have a black vs white fallacy quite often too, especially with issues regarding privacy.
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@Theweakeredge
Yay.... I don't think I've ever seen such biased critique, and I agree with some of them.
My general critique is that the questions are not only ambiguous, but strong disagreement with a statement does not NECESSARILY mean the respondent strongly agrees with the implied OPPOSITE of that statement.
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@RationalMadman
You have a black vs white fallacy quite often too, especially with issues regarding privacy.
Please be slightly more specific.
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@Theweakeredge
and I agree with some of them.
Would you be willing to share some examples of our common ground?
Theweakeredge
Theweakeredge
-->
@3RU7AL
Well, here are two I definitely agree

Our nation's values should be spread as much as possible. - - RESPECT THE SOVEREIGNTY OF EVERY OTHER NATION ON PLANET EARTH.
It is very important to maintain law and order. - - hOWevER, UNJUST LAWS SHOULD NEVER BE ENFORCED.
I agree with more, but those are just some examples
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@Theweakeredge
Well, here are two I definitely agree

Our nation's values should be spread as much as possible. - - RESPECT THE SOVEREIGNTY OF EVERY OTHER NATION ON PLANET EARTH.
It is very important to maintain law and order. - - hOWevER, UNJUST LAWS SHOULD NEVER BE ENFORCED.
I agree with more, but those are just some examples
I'm always glad when we can agree.
Theweakeredge
Theweakeredge
-->
@3RU7AL
Mm, I don't particularly mind disagreement, that's how you check the validity of your own views.
whiteflame
whiteflame
-->
@3RU7AL
Agreed on both fronts. However, imperfections in the tests aside, I do think there's some value to taking them, if only to get a vague picture that lacks nuance.
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@whiteflame
Agreed on both fronts. However, imperfections in the tests aside, I do think there's some value to taking them, if only to get a vague picture that lacks nuance.
100% AGREE.
ILikePie5
Debates: 2
ILikePie5
-->
@3RU7AL
Would you say that's generally accurate?
Yup
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@RationalMadman
Eventually right-wing 'gangs in charge' fall apart due to rivalries and backstabbings.
Achieving dominance can make you feel like the dog who actually caught the car you'd had been chasing all these years.
Theweakeredge
Theweakeredge
-->
@3RU7AL
Achievements versus how achievements are accomplished

Ends versus Means.
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@Theweakeredge
Achievements versus how achievements are accomplished

Ends versus Means.
More specifically, skilled conquerors often make extremely poor bureaucrats.

That's why most revolutionaries murder their own lieutenants as soon as the old regime falls.
Theweakeredge
Theweakeredge
-->
@3RU7AL
Well, I was just comparing how people think, but yeah that also applies

3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@whiteflame
Although I still think I learned more from the political compass than I did from 8 dimensions.

I'd actually never read up on any Pyotr Alexeyevich Kropotkin or Emma Goldman.

whiteflame
whiteflame
-->
@3RU7AL
Not sure I agree with some of the placements of those political figures, but guess I'm closest to Nelson Mandela?

As for which one is better, that's tougher to say. I can see reasons to favor either one.
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@whiteflame
Welcome to the QUADRANT.
bmdrocks21
Debates: 6
bmdrocks21
Shifted a little bit on each since the last time I took it, but the same are in the majority.

Fascist gang where you at?!?
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@bmdrocks21
Tradition + Authority + Free-Markets
RationalMadman
Debates: 564
RationalMadman
-->
@bmdrocks21
I knew you were fascist.
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@whiteflame
Chomsky on Kropotkin in 2 minutes and 11 seconds, [LINK]
bmdrocks21
Debates: 6
bmdrocks21
-->
@3RU7AL
Tradition + Authority + Free-Markets
You like what you see? 👀 
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@bmdrocks21
You like what you see?
I appreciate the clarity.

I'm an Anarchist.

Strangely that isn't reflected in my 8 dimensional score.