Universal Basic Income

Author: secularmerlin

Total: 314
3RU7AL
Debates: 3
3RU7AL
-->
@Discipulus_Didicit
Do you really think the corporations are going to want to keep people alive if they DON'T NEED WORKERS?
Uh... wut?
How many (for profit) corporations currently provide food and shelter for the homeless?
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@secularmerlin
Do you really think the corporations are going to want to keep people alive if they are unemployed and CAN'T AFFORD TO BUY THEIR PRODUCT?
Great point.
Theweakeredge
Debates: 33
Theweakeredge
-->
@3RU7AL
Um... no, and second of all - that... isn't that difficult to pull off - its a simple grid work. As I said, 8th grade
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@Theweakeredge
Um... no, and second of all - that... isn't that difficult to pull off - its a simple grid work. As I said, 8th grade
Please generate thirty photo realistic images of toasters that resemble dogs.
Theweakeredge
Theweakeredge
-->
@3RU7AL
Um... no. First off, what is the need? I draw stylized characters, so I'm not inclined to; however, I can link you to a couple of examples of... well, far superior pieces than what you've shown. 

Also... drawing toasters is not a very good counter-point to saying that the program is incapable of stylized drawing
fauxlaw
Debates: 77
fauxlaw
-->
@3RU7AL
Rich/poor, productive/lazy

Oh, yes, it can be had both ways.

The rich can be so, and yet be lazy, getting no further, and in fact, can lose it. Or, the rich inherited it, and are lazy, or they earned it and became lazy
Or, the rich are productive, and increase their wealth, regardless of it being inherited or personally earned.

The poor can be so, and be lazy, getting nowhere, and, in fact, become poorer. or, the poor can be productive, get out of poverty by their own effort, and can even become wealthy.
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@Theweakeredge
Theweakeredge
Theweakeredge
-->
@3RU7AL
Do you mean of a sever that was filled with ARTISTS STYLES? Hm? Because that gives them more jobs, not less
Theweakeredge
Theweakeredge
-->
@3RU7AL
That's about as  advanced as snapchat's filters... try again
Theweakeredge
Theweakeredge
-->
@fauxlaw
Statistics do not support the claim that poor people who "work really hard" move up economically, that is a myth - furthermore statistics do not show  downward trend in millionaires who do not work.
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@fauxlaw
The rich can be so, and yet be lazy, getting no further, and in fact, can lose it. Or, the rich inherited it, and are lazy, or they earned it and became lazy
Or, the rich are productive, and increase their wealth, regardless of it being inherited or personally earned.

The poor can be so, and be lazy, getting nowhere, and, in fact, become poorer. or, the poor can be productive, get out of poverty by their own effort, and can even become wealthy.
Is it possible for an intelligent and industrious poor person to work hard their entire life and remain poor?

Is it possible for a lazy, unambitious dullard to fall into wealth and maintain and or grow that wealth over their lifetime?
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@Theweakeredge
Statistics do not support the claim that poor people who "work really hard" move up economically, that is a myth - furthermore statistics do not show  downward trend in millionaires who do not work.
Well stated.
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@Theweakeredge
Do you mean of a sever that was filled with ARTISTS STYLES? Hm? Because that gives them more jobs, not less
ANYONE CAN TAKE A PAINTING, DRAWING, OR PHOTOGRAPH AND COMBINE IT WITH ANY OTHER PAINTING, DRAWING, OR PHOTOGRAPH TO CREATE AN "ORIGINAL STYLIZED ARTWORK".

ANYONE.
fauxlaw
fauxlaw
-->
@Theweakeredge
I grant you that the numbers of the poor who remaIn poor, for whatever reason, are numerous, but, it is not an exclusive result. You say "statistically," but, there are "statistics" demonstrating that the opposite does occur: there are examples of poor people who, by their own desire to advance and succeed, do so. That the stats show this to be a minor result by comparison, notwithstanding, it does occur, meaning that it can occur. I believe the simple lack of higher incidents of the succeeding poor is a personal lack, one by one: Ambition. It was the first principle my father taught me and my older brothers. Ambition, planning, and execution. On that three-legged stool I declare the course I have followed to be successful. I'm nobody special; I had no advantages but that being in a family that has, since 1625, when my first, direct, paternal ancestor came to America from France and then Scotland, arrived in Boston to start a new adventure. He started an iron foundry.  My grandfather was an educator and a writer. My father was a hospital administrator. I was an engineer; I am a writer and illustrator, and a properties owner. Diversity is a beautiful thing.
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@fauxlaw
I believe the simple lack of higher incidents of the succeeding poor is a personal lack, one by one:
Do you also believe the high probability of people born into wealthy families succeeding is personal VIRTUE, one by one?
fauxlaw
fauxlaw
-->
@3RU7AL
Nope. Not if they do not contribute, personally, to the increase of that wealth. They are, themselves, freeloaders, riding on the backs of others, even if that is their parents. I hold little regard to freeloaders, rich or poor, because both have the potential to do their own work, but, some do not. 
Theweakeredge
Theweakeredge
-->
@fauxlaw
A poor environment does not make for a conducive one for learning - furthermore it makes such things as "ambition" not as valuable as other traits which would help them survive
fauxlaw
fauxlaw
-->
@Theweakeredge
Just the experience of Ben Carson says otherwise. A wise parent can help ambition grow and results will follow. In his case, a very wise mother, who, though illiterate, yet went through the motions of checking his school work, sufficient to impress him that she cared enough to do so, and thus encouraged his ambition to flourish. What makes his experience different? Ambition, and the will to make it thrive. Who cannot do that? Only people who let their mirror dictate their failure.
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@Theweakeredge
furthermore it makes such things as "ambition" not as valuable as other traits which would help them survive
Almost every poor person I know is ambitious.

They all want to be rock stars and are constantly hyping their homemade albums.

They all want to be social influencers and are constantly hyping their facebook/twitter/youtube channels.
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@fauxlaw
Just the experience of Ben Carson says otherwise. A wise parent can help ambition grow and results will follow. In his case, a very wise mother, who, though illiterate, yet went through the motions of checking his school work, sufficient to impress him that she cared enough to do so, and thus encouraged his ambition to flourish. What makes his experience different? Ambition, and the will to make it thrive. Who cannot do that? Only people who let their mirror dictate their failure.
WHAT IF YOU DON'T HAPPEN TO HAVE A "WISE PARENT"?
Theweakeredge
Theweakeredge
-->
@fauxlaw
That's... remarkably anecdotal, do you have any evidence to supplement this one story?
Theweakeredge
Theweakeredge
-->
@3RU7AL
idealistic and ambitious are different traits
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@Theweakeredge
idealistic and ambitious are different traits
I never said "idealistic".
Theweakeredge
Theweakeredge
-->
@3RU7AL
What you described certainly was - you conflate the two
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@Theweakeredge
What you described certainly was - you conflate the two
I didn't conflate anything because I never used the word you mentioned.
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@fauxlaw
"I never made any long-range plans or applied for anything" - Marvin Minsky
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@Theweakeredge
[am-bish-uhs] eagerly desirous of achieving or obtaining success, power, wealth, a specific goal, etc. [DICTIONARY.COM]
Theweakeredge
Theweakeredge
-->
@3RU7AL
yay dictionary.com, the most venerable dictionary which, of course, lays all the other dictionaries to shame - whatever shall I do with your oh-so impressive dictionary?
Theweakeredge
Theweakeredge
-->
@3RU7AL
Idealistic - "believing that very good things can be achieved, often when this does not seem likely to other people:"
Ambitious - "having a strong desire for successachievementpower, or wealth:"
From Cambridge dictionary

Though I suppose the two could overlap, I do think there is a difference

3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@Theweakeredge
Though I suppose the two could overlap, I do think there is a difference
What's the difference?