Author: DebateArt.com

Pinned
Total: 1,724
DebateArt.com
Debates: 0
DebateArt.com
-->
@Vader
Thanks for the description! I like the idea, if we can find enough people interested in it then I could at some point implement it :)
DebateArt.com
DebateArt.com
-->
@bsh1
It'd be nice to be able to set parameters for who are opponent can be (e.g. they must have an ELO of at least 1,000). It would also be nice if we could set ELO minimums for judges, too.
That's on the list. Didn't make sense to put it there initially when the site barely had any people but it will be there.

Can we have rich text in the description section?
Shouldn't be a problem, yeah

I'd also love being able to edit challenges that I've created before those challenges have been accepted.
All kinds of editing and deleting is a priority now and will be implemented once I am finished with the forum stuff.

We should be able to have a signature block, like on DDO.
Also on the list :)
drafterman
Debates: 6
drafterman
-->
@DebateArt.com
Don't know if it's been suggested, but there should be a report button for users, posts, threads, and debates.
DebateArt.com
DebateArt.com
-->
@drafterman
Don't know if it's been suggested, but there should be a report button for users, posts, threads, and debates.
This one will be released after this weekend, hopefully :)

Castin
Castin
Could there be a clickable dropdown list in the Receivers input field from which we can select usernames we've used before?
XLAV
XLAV
Better quote system

A quote button for each post where once clicked it'll automatically copy paste the post in the quote format.

Its pretty tiring copy pasting multiple posts and the quote thing sometimes takes a while to work.

DebateArt.com
DebateArt.com
-->
@Castin
Could there be a clickable dropdown list in the Receivers input field from which we can select usernames we've used before?
I am not sure how to merge autocomplete and this feature, I imagine it would take some time to make something like this work properly. I mean, I'd need to keep history of your previous mentions or query the posts that you created before and then separate those by the threads and so on, it's not that hard but it's time consuming so I'll probably get back to in after the most important stuff is done. But I promise that autocomplete will be improved, I know it's far from perfect now ...

DebateArt.com
DebateArt.com
-->
@XLAV
Better quote system

A quote button for each post where once clicked it'll automatically copy paste the post in the quote format.

Its pretty tiring copy pasting multiple posts and the quote thing sometimes takes a while to work.
Yeah, that's on the list but I don't like the idea of quoting the full posts, sometimes it makes sense, sometimes it doesn't and often it turns posts into huge ugly sheets of texts. I think I'll make it optional so that you could write a reply manually OR copy paste the full post in a quote, if that makes sense in some situation. Like in this very message haha

XLAV
XLAV
-->
@DebateArt.com
I don't mean the quoteception DDO had, lol. That was horrible. 
I meant when I click on a quote button from post 1 itll quote post 1 then I can write whatever I want. When I click on a quote button from post 2, itll make another quote bracket not connected to the 1st one.

DebateArt.com
DebateArt.com
-->
@XLAV
I don't mean the quoteception DDO had, lol. That was horrible. 
I meant when I click on a quote button from post 1 itll quote post 1 then I can write whatever I want. When I click on a quote button from post 2, itll make another quote bracket not connected to the 1st one.
Ooooh I see. Yeah, that's doable and makes sense :)
Castin
Castin
-->
@DebateArt.com
I am not sure how to merge autocomplete and this feature, I imagine it would take some time to make something like this work properly. I mean, I'd need to keep history of your previous mentions or query the posts that you created before and then separate those by the threads and so on, it's not that hard but it's time consuming so I'll probably get back to in after the most important stuff is done. But I promise that autocomplete will be improved, I know it's far from perfect now ...
Got it. Just wondering if it was possible to select a username without having to type anything. More convenient.
Castin
Castin
-->
@DebateArt.com
Better quote system

Yeah, that's on the list but I don't like the idea of quoting the full posts, sometimes it makes sense, sometimes it doesn't and often it turns posts into huge ugly sheets of texts. I think I'll make it optional so that you could write a reply manually OR copy paste the full post in a quote, if that makes sense in some situation. Like in this very message haha
Not to poach ideas, but check out the way quotes are handled here:

You can quote a miles long post in full without it taking up the whole page. There's just a text fade and a "click to expand".
DebateArt.com
DebateArt.com
-->
@Castin
This expand button is indeed convenient, we may need to add something like this if we start seeing huge quotes here.
DebateArt.com
DebateArt.com
New changes

Added a way to edit forum topics in the next 5 minutes after creation and fixed some bugs.

Now moving to implementing reporting functionality. 

Vader
Debates: 30
Vader
Time system is accurate, unlike DDO's
DebateArt.com
DebateArt.com
-->
@Vader
Yep, it takes your current timezone offset from the browser and uses it for all the dates and times on the website.
DebateArt.com
DebateArt.com
I've been having a really busy week and the development slowed down a little bit but reporting functionality is really close and after that, we'll publish the official rules and appoint a moderator :) 
DebateArt.com
DebateArt.com
New minor changes:

1) Bumped forum editing and deleting time limits from 5 to 15 mins.

2) Added reporting functionality for forum posts ( that flag thingy in the right top corner of the posts )

3) Added an indicator for the forum mods ( that crown thingy in the left top corner of the posts )
drafterman
drafterman
-->
@DebateArt.com
Couple of ideas:

1) What do you think about having links default to opening in a new tab (equivilent to adding target="_blank" in an href tag)?
2) When I click on a reply notification from my notifications window, it takes me right to the post. This is convenient! But, when I get an e-mail notification about a reply, the link is just to the forum itself, not to the individual post. Would it be possible to have e-mail notifications have a link to the actual post in question?
3) Probably already mentioned: when you click the "Reply" button, it autopopulates the username in the "Receivers" field. Would it also be possible to have it autopopulate the user's post in the text field of your reply in "quoted" format?
4) Also, I think it would be nice for you to click "reply" and have it append (rather than overwrite) users in the "Receivers" field so you can more easily reply to multiple people.
DebateArt.com
DebateArt.com
-->
@drafterman
1) What do you think about having links default to opening in a new tab (equivilent to adding target="_blank" in an href tag)?
What links exactly do you mean?

2) When I click on a reply notification from my notifications window, it takes me right to the post. This is convenient! But, when I get an e-mail notification about a reply, the link is just to the forum itself, not to the individual post. Would it be possible to have e-mail notifications have a link to the actual post in question?
Yeah, I realized it a couple of days ago that I forgot to change the links for the emails, I'll fix it as soon as I finish all this moderation stuff.

3) Probably already mentioned: when you click the "Reply" button, it autopopulates the username in the "Receivers" field. Would it also be possible to have it autopopulate the user's post in the text field of your reply in "quoted" format?
Well, I am still not sure how to go about it, I'd hate to see all those huge sheets of quotes in the posts but somebody suggested the idea of hiding those and providing the "expand" button, which may be a good way to do it, anyway, we'll get to this subject later.

4) Also, I think it would be nice for you to click "reply" and have it append (rather than overwrite) users in the "Receivers" field so you can more easily reply to multiple people.
Yeah, that would definitely make things easier, I'll try to include it in the next release, if I don't forget :)
drafterman
drafterman
-->
@DebateArt.com
What links exactly do you mean?
When someone cut and pastes a URL into a reply field like this:

The default is that it opens that link in the current window.

I'd hate to see all those huge sheets of quotes
An alternative is that you can highlight a portion of text in a post, click "reply" and it only quotes the stuff you have highlighted. I believe Reddit utilizes this functionality.
DebateArt.com
DebateArt.com
-->
@drafterman
Oh I see, yeah, that's a good idea, I am not sure how to handle it though because it may be problematic to get access to only some elements of the post but I will look into it. Thanks!

An alternative is that you can highlight a portion of text in a post, click "reply" and it only quotes the stuff you have highlighted. I believe Reddit utilizes this functionality.
I've never stumbled upon anything like it but it sounds awesome, I will research that as well.

drafterman
drafterman
-->
@DebateArt.com
I've never stumbled upon anything like it but it sounds awesome, I will research that as well.
I understand that Reddit is differently coded, so I get it if it can't be implemented here, but if you want to see what I'm talking about (and you have a Reddit account), simply find any comment, highly part of the text, then click the "Reply" button. Your post will appear with that highlighted text prepopulated in "quoted" format.

Now, Reddit is different in the sense that the text field doesn't even appear until you click the "reply" button whereas here the text field is omnipresent, but I'm not sure how that affects the coding side.
DebateArt.com
DebateArt.com
-->
@drafterman
I understand that Reddit is differently coded, so I get it if it can't be implemented here, but if you want to see what I'm talking about (and you have a Reddit account), simply find any comment, highly part of the text, then click the "Reply" button. Your post will appear with that highlighted text prepopulated in "quoted" format.
Understood, I will definitely check it, it's a really interesting idea. 

David
Debates: 91
David
-->
@DebateArt.com
Hey just noticed a bug: When I login to onto one device it logs me out of the other. 
RationalMadman
Debates: 555
RationalMadman
-->
@David
Not to be rude but I noticed that the first day I used the website.
David
Debates: 91
David
-->
@RationalMadman
Not to be rude but I have really only used one device since joining be sure and didn’t really notice it 
DebateArt.com
DebateArt.com
-->
@David
Hey just noticed a bug: When I login to onto one device it logs me out of the other. 
Yeah, it's a known bug and I'll fix it among other bugs once I finish the moderation stuff, I just hate to change contexts :)

Vaarka
Vaarka
-->
@DebateArt.com
Can we get color themes (like dark/light)?
bsh1
Debates: 14
bsh1
-->
@DebateArt.com
I'd love for PMs to be more like they are on DDO. For example, being able to send multiple PMs to the same user and to title those PMs for different subject matters.