Gender Dysphoria and Mental Illness

Author: Theweakeredge

Total: 132
Athias
Debates: 20
Athias
-->
@3RU7AL
the time and place of the "fire starter" determines the scope and longevity of the consequent fire
Even if that fire is self-aware and can reason on its own?
3RU7AL
Debates: 3
3RU7AL
-->
@Athias
the time and place of the "fire starter" determines the scope and longevity of the consequent fire
Even if that fire is self-aware and can reason on its own?
please explain to me how a fire can violate the law of cause-and-effect
Athias
Debates: 20
Athias
-->
@3RU7AL
please explain to me how a fire can violate the law of cause-and-effect
I'm not suggesting that it could. I'm asking, is the fire starter absent of reason? Applying it to the previous context, I'm essentially asking are or can the chemical/neurological/physiological processes which manifest in the emergence of the mind sustain characteristics/properties of the mind?

3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@Athias
is the fire starter absent of reason?
according to common dictionary definitions,

REASON = LOGIC

and,

RATIONAL = LOGICAL
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@Athias
I'm essentially asking are or can the chemical/neurological/physiological processes which manifest in the emergence of the mind sustain characteristics/properties of the mind?
the "cause" of the "fire-starter" is a currently undefined variable of this proposed hypothetical

let's say, the "fire-starter" is a lightning-strike
Theweakeredge
Debates: 33
Theweakeredge
-->
@3RU7AL
That's the thing, mental incompetence isn't what you think it is. You have a strange definition of incompetence, incompetence does not equal "Need to go to a mental hospital" mental incomptenece is something every single human being is, and no it's not an ad-hoc-  the particular trait literally doesn't matter - all that matters is the example itself, assuming that because a part of something has a trait, that something also has it. Living doesn't matter in this example, the definition is irrelevant. 
Theweakeredge
Theweakeredge
-->
@Athias
Yes-  the processes themselves create the "environment" if you will, in which reasoning will occur. 
zedvictor4
Debates: 22
zedvictor4
@Theweakeredge

Mental incompetence isn't what you think it is.

That's a sort of contradiction in terms.

How else would we deduce or attribute incompetence?
Theweakeredge
Theweakeredge
-->
@zedvictor4
what does mental incompetence not being equivalent to mental illness have anything to do with that?
zedvictor4
zedvictor4
@Theweakeredge

How does one deduce mental illness?

If not by comparing with an expected standard.

System dysfunction, is a physical processes issue.
Theweakeredge
Theweakeredge
-->
@zedvictor4
Incompetence- "lack of the abilityskill, or knowledge that is needed to do a job or perform an action correctly or to a satisfactory standard:"
Mental Disorder - "any condition characterized by cognitive and emotional disturbances, abnormal behaviors, impaired functioning, or any combination of these."

Incompetence is lacking ability, a disorder or illness in this case is something which impairs function. There is a distinction - it could be said that some mental disorders are examples of incompetence - though colloquially speaking most wouldn't equate the two - but mental disorders themselves are not neccessarily incompetent. And trying to equate the two, and saying that if you are mentally incompetent you should go to an institution, as BRu7AL did - reveals an ignorance about what exactly a mental disorder is. 

zedvictor4
zedvictor4
Theweakeredge

Quite.

Incompetence is as you say.

I was questioning the term "mental incompetence".

To me "mental incompetence" suggests dysfunction, rather than simply a lack of acquired ability.