Reform the ranking system

Author: Benjamin

Total: 47
RationalMadman
Debates: 567
RationalMadman
-->
@Benjamin
I don't respect their strategy too much, you're correct but they earned their rating their way and that I can respect in itself. I grind my way and I respect those who do it the risky, free-flowing way much more, yes.

Who do I respect more, Undefeatable or Oromagi? As a courageous tough to the bone debater, Undefeatable. As a Rating grinder in itself, Oromagi.

Who do I enjoy being against and feel really is interesting when they defeat me or even when I defeat them? Undefeatable. I don't give a shit if you're the lowest ranked debater on the website, if you're trying and improving I respect tf out of that, if you're debating like a timid mouse don't expect me to feel you're a beast.
RationalMadman
RationalMadman
-->
@oromagi
Your premise is false.  I have not quit, much less made any pretense about it.
All talk
RationalMadman
RationalMadman
-->
@Benjamin
With my suggestion implemented, people like Ragnar and Oromagi would be able to participate in as many debates as they would like
They already are able to.

Also, don't be a passive-aggressive troll about this. You called them out, I just made clear what you were actually saying.

Either the system adapts to them or they adapt to the system. It's crystal clear which is more reasonable here; I just have the guts to say it.

oromagi
Debates: 117
oromagi
-->
@RationalMadman
--> @oromagi
Your premise is false.  I have not quit, much less made any pretense about it.
All talk
Talk?  on a debate site?  Unacceptable.
oromagi
Debates: 117
oromagi
-->
@RationalMadman
@Benjamin
RM@POST#11

Don't put words on my fucking mouth fool.
also RM@POST#33

don't be a passive-aggressive troll about this. You called them out, I just made clear what you were actually saying.

RationalMadman
RationalMadman
-->
@oromagi
I literally quoted him. :) 

people like Ragnar and Oromagi would be able to participate in as many debates as they would like
Let's let his words speak for themselves or do you have some kind of interpretation of what 'people like' meant?
Undefeatable
Debates: 64
Undefeatable
-->
@RationalMadman
thank you for the compliment. I originally was tempted to be like Oromagi/Ragnar with my debates, but just wanted to sharpen my research-ahead-of-time skills and actual debating. My Central Banks debate was more of a clever "Con side has really tricky ideas" rather than "my side is impossible to defeat".
Benjamin
Debates: 95
Benjamin
-->
@RationalMadman
@oromagi
Let my words speak for himself --- OK!

HERE ARE MY TRUE WORDS:

-->@oromagi, @Ragnar
I do in fact respect you, and I disagree with RationalMadman that you don't deserve your status. [#8]
I am not calling out anybody,  and if I am, I am showing respect  --- the opposite of your claim about my attitude. At the exact same time, you were discrediting their success and saying that "nobody truly respects the approach they have taken" as if to discredit them or their strategies for victory ==> thus indeed you are the source of criticism
fauxlaw
Debates: 77
fauxlaw
I'm opposed to a result of no-vote ties. Among the top-rated 10 - 15, I own more of them than anyone, which prompted me to suggest a volunteer team that would seek to prevent them from occurring, and I try to prevent as many as I can, but I can't do it myself. I have voted on some really stinky debates as a result, but, I figure everyone who attempts a debate ought to deserve a vote. So far, the Mods have been mum on the suggestion.
Discipulus_Didicit
Debates: 9
Discipulus_Didicit
Definitely agree with 1 and 2, not sure on 3 and 4. R M says 1 is already in place though...
fauxlaw
fauxlaw
-->
@Discipulus_Didicit
Yeah, RM claims it, but I don't see it.In the top 10 debaters by rank, I lead that pack in unvoted ties [7 of them], but all my ties [10] figure into the calculation of my win/lost percentage. Now, whether it figures into my ranking, I have no idea. I've asked Ragnar, but he won't answer to that specific question.
Discipulus_Didicit
Debates: 9
Discipulus_Didicit
-->
@fauxlaw
Now, whether it figures into my ranking, I have no idea. I've asked Ragnar, but he won't answer to that specific question.
He probably doesn't know. As long as the debates were unrated they have no effect on elo no matter the outcome but I am not sure myself what the system would do to elo for rated debates ending in invited ties.
RationalMadman
RationalMadman
-->
@Discipulus_Didicit
@fauxlaw
@Benjamin
fauxlaw
fauxlaw
@ RM
That's well before my time, and I don't understand the post. Why are forfeits failed debates that don't affect rating? Doesn't the opposition win that debate, if voted on? Or does DebateArt mean something else?
Theweakeredge
Debates: 33
Theweakeredge
-->
@fauxlaw
I can try to vote more on no-vote debates, I'd like to think I vote as unbiasedly as I can, in fact-  why don't we make a thread that people can post to when they have no vote debates specifically, that way all the people who are volunteering can just subscribe to the thread and get notifications whenever someone posts?

I think it would be a good idea, unfortunately I don't have much time, my summer college classes are starting soon. 
fauxlaw
fauxlaw
-->
@Theweakeredge
Ys, I agree it is a good idea, and I suggested it to mods during the campaign to modify the voting policy, but the policy was modified without including that idea.
Theweakeredge
Debates: 33
Theweakeredge
-->
@fauxlaw
I can make the thread and tag you in it then - just click subscribe that way you get the notifications, lol