What are your policy priorities for the US?

Author: Tejretics

Total: 136
Double_R
Debates: 3
Double_R
-->
@fauxlaw
Here's what you don't get:

Trump made 79 visits in 19 states as an incumbent.

Biden made 57 visits to 13 states as a wanna-be.

Presidential candidates do not spend time in states that are a virtual locks, but even Hillaryous Balloon Girl vs Trump:

Trump, 45 states visited

Clinton, 37 states visited.
What makes you think that I don’t get anything you just said, and what does any of this have to do with the conversation?
HistoryBuff
Debates: 0
HistoryBuff
-->
@coal
 Imprison anyone who supported lockdowns, from Fauci and his grant fraud to the politicians that implemented them.

You realize that you are advocating for arresting people who tried to saves lives? Basically, you want to destroy freedom and kill alot of people while believing you are fighting for freedom. 
coal
Debates: 6
coal
-->
@HistoryBuff
Do you actually expect me to respond to your question? 
thett3
Debates: 2
thett3
-->
@coal
If there is even a modicum of covd restrictions left by 2022 democrats are so screwed
HistoryBuff
HistoryBuff
-->
@coal
Do you actually expect me to respond to your question? 
I don't see that you could redeem yourself. So I suppose it is pointless. The sheer insanity of your statement speaks for itself. IE if you try to protect people you should be punished. And to protect freedom, we should take away people's freedom. 
HistoryBuff
HistoryBuff
-->
@thett3
If there is even a modicum of covd restrictions left by 2022 democrats are so screwed
this sentence doesn't make any sense. If there are covid restrictions, it would be because people are still getting sick and dying. The kind of people who would want restrictions ended even if it killed people are probably not that interested in reality any way and are likely just trump cultists. 

bmdrocks21
bmdrocks21
-->
@Tejretics
I’m comfortable with a higher short-term deficit and higher taxes on the rich. Interest rates right now are extremely low, and they have been relatively low for over a decade now. My guess is that part of it is the slowdown in productivity and part of it is a savings glut. I expect that some of this spending will pay for itself in the long run too (see the programs in Hendren and Sprung-Keyser 2020 with infinite marginal value of public funds). 

While some forms of spending are an investment, meaning some can provide more than it requires, that is not necessarily the case for many of those new forms of spending that you outlined in your initial post.

However, there are many limitations to this study, first being:
"In many cases, the policies are Pareto dominated, MV P F < 0, under one set of assumptions and represent a Pareto improvement, MV P F = ∞, under another set of assumptions.86 Despite substantial expenditures on the evaluation of these reforms, the designs of these reforms in each state make it difficult to know whether this massive shift in the provision welfare benefits to low-income families led to an increase or decrease in welfare."
Depending on the assumptions used, many of them may not have an infinite marginal utility and some even became net drains under different assumptions.

And the calculation is: social benefit/social cost, so it would appear that anything that costs nothing (an example they provide is tuition decreases, which by nature cost nothing) and has literally any benefit at all would have infinite utility. That isn't too insightful when making comparisons.

That being said, this is a rather complex study that I think you could do a better job explaining why you think the infinite utility is meaningful than I did.

I think there are three good reasons to think the fiscal burden of more immigration would be smaller than it initially seems. First, the U.S.’s population is aging a lot, and it needs more workers to pay for entitlements through taxes. Roughly two-thirds of American social spending is on very young children and seniors (who don’t pay taxes) – immigrants, in general, are neither. In fact, as the population of domestic U.S. taxpayers decreases, it needs enough young people to take on the load in the future. Second, even if low-skilled workers are a net drain on these programs, over the long run, their children are often no longer net drains and end up being net surpluses for social programs. Third, a lot of U.S. government programs are fixed costs for investments in nonrival public goods – for example, U.S. military spending. In this case, an additional immigrant doesn’t contribute to the cost of programs (you still have to spend on defense), but pays taxes for them, hence spreading out the cost more and offsetting their effect on social programs not aimed at public goods. 
I am still quite skeptical. You seem to want a social welfare system somewhat resembling Europe's based on what I have seen from you. So any study from the US right now would have to be taken with a grain of salt since our welfare system is not as robust as theirs in many respects. This study found that extra-EU immigrants were almost always a net drain on the countries they immigrated to/were more of a drain than natives. (Referring to Table 6) Europe has an aging population like us, so I feel that is an apt comparison.

California is a good example too of your projected landscape, full of both new poor and rich immigrants. The state deficit and local government deficits are ballooning, especially local debt. https://www.statista.com/statistics/305287/california-state-debt/

The US population is aging, but there are ways to solve that domestically without the needed extra issue of inviting in a bunch of foreign-born individuals who will create more ethnic conflict. Also, social security is horrendously mismanaged. If they could invest funds instead of letting them get eaten by inflation, it might actually be solvent. So the aging population is not as big of an issue as it has to be.

Blau and Mackie 2017, for the National Academy of Sciences, estimate the net present value of additional immigrants to the U.S., using data from the CBO Long-Term Budget Outlook. Some of their findings include:

• If additional immigrants have a similar composition to current U.S. immigrants (i.e. if the number increased while the screening methods remained the same), then the net present value (over the long term, including their children and other descendants) to the U.S. government of one more immigrant is $259,000.
  • Some low-skilled immigrants are net positive, while others are net negative. Low-skilled immigrants who finished high school but didn’t go to college add a net present value (per immigrant) of $49,000 per immigrant. For those who didn’t finish high school, it’s more negative (-$117,000 per immigrant). However, I’m not advocating open borders or entirely randomizing who is let in either – if you take a weighted average of the net present values of people who are let in if you double or even triple immigration, my guess is it would come out positive. This is particularly the case for younger immigrants – even immigrants who didn’t finish high school under the age of 25 have a positive net present value. 
I don't have access to that. You linked me to a textbook, so I cant really see how they got those numbers.
Also, you're assuming that there are enough immigrants of the current caliber that we have out there in numbers that can sustain 2-3 million per year. As you accept more, it is illogical to assume quality won't decline.
I also don't know how they calculated their contributions and costs.

I’m not actually clear why this is true. Furman and Summers 2020 explain why it is plausible that low interest rates are a “new normal,” and hence the cost of additional borrowing has substantially reduced (Furman is an economist at Harvard who was Chair of the Council of Economic Advisors, Summers was Secretary of the Treasury and Director of the National Economic Council). The optimal tax literature is pretty divided, but economists are generally in favor of higher taxes – consider this poll among economists in the IGM Experts Panel.

Question A was quite specific: Restoring the top individual federal income tax rate to 39.6% for incomes over $400,000 (from the current 37%) and taxing the capital gains and dividends of taxpayers with income over $1 million at that top rate (instead of the current preferential rate of 20%), with no other associated changes in taxes or spending, would be unlikely to hurt economic growth noticeably.

This specifically relates to economic growth and no other detrimental effects, and it says "noticeably", which is an ambiguous term. So they essentially admit in the question that it will hurt economic growth to some degree by raising these taxes.

That doesn't mean that they want higher taxes, it just means that they don't expect these specific changes to be incredibly harmful. There also isn't any indication of how much money this would raise, especially relative to your likely large bill.

A 2012 poll from the same website asked economists: A cut in federal income tax rates in the US right now would lead to higher GDP within five years than without the tax cut.
35% agreed, 35% were uncertain, and only 8% disagreed. Granted this was asked in 2012 and the question was "right now", but way more economists agreed than disagreed with the sentiment that GDP grows faster with tax cuts. 

bmdrocks21
bmdrocks21
-->
@coal
1. Restore liberty.  End all lockdowns.
2. Imprison anyone who supported lockdowns, from Fauci and his grant fraud to the politicians that implemented them.

Bold strategy. I like it
>:)
coal
coal
-->
@HistoryBuff
"Sheer insanity"

That's pretty strong language, devoid of any basis whatsoever to justify it.  
fauxlaw
Debates: 77
fauxlaw
-->
@Double_R
You asked for the part you don’t get:
1 The popular nationwide vote is meaningless.
2. Presidential candidates do not visit every state, but, at least in the last two elections, your Democrats lack it more than Republicans. Go cry I your own beer.
HistoryBuff
HistoryBuff
-->
@coal
"Sheer insanity"

That's pretty strong language, devoid of any basis whatsoever to justify it.  
no, I explained why it was sheer insanity. Anyone who wants to save lives should imprisoned. And we should protect freedom by taking away people's freedom. Do you think that this isn't crazy? 

And I mean, none of the covid restrictions are new powers of the government. They already control what you are allowed to wear. For example, you can't walk around on the street naked. So saying you need to wear a mask isn't unprecedented.

they already control when businesses can and can't be open and how many people can be inside. Things like holidays, rules for what time businesses must close by, and maximum occupancy of buildings have been around for a long, long time. So changing those rules a bit for a public health crisis isn't particularly different. 

So you argument is that anyone who advocated for saving lives with powers the government has always had should be arrested. I think "sheer insanity" sums that up. 
thett3
thett3
-->
@HistoryBuff
People are over it. Unless we go back to January-February levels (extremely unlikely now that we have the vaccine) any restrictions aren’t going to fly in my opinion 
HistoryBuff
HistoryBuff
-->
@thett3
People are over it. Unless we go back to January-February levels (extremely unlikely now that we have the vaccine) any restrictions aren’t going to fly in my opinion
I agree. I'm sick of restrictions too. And that is why the restrictions are being ramped down. But there are large segments of the population that refuse to get the vaccine. And dangerous variants are still popping up all over the world. The threat that the vaccines might be less effective on these variants causing another surge is certainly a real possibility. 

But as I said, the reason for the restrictions still existing is if people are still getting sick and dying. So if that is happening, there damn well better still be restrictions. People would demand it. 

Double_R
Debates: 3
Double_R
-->
@fauxlaw
You asked for the part you don’t get:
1 The popular nationwide vote is meaningless.
2. Presidential candidates do not visit every state, but, at least in the last two elections, your Democrats lack it more than Republicans. Go cry I your own beer.
Repeating yourself is not answering the question.

The national popular vote is meaningless with regards to who actually becomes president in our current system. That is not what the conversation was about. You are talking to yourself.

I did bring up presidential candidates and what states they visited, it had nothing to do with who’s better between democrats and republicans.

I suggest you read threads before chiming in to tell people what they don’t understand.
thett3
thett3
-->
@HistoryBuff
If things get really bad again then yeah the politics of it would be different than what I’m saying. But there is a very serious danger for Dems of failing to read the room and going full lockdown if there’s a minor resurgence, or even just trying to make some things permanent (Oregon is considering making its mask mandate permanent for example) which would be a political disaster 
coal
coal
-->
@thett3

I'm not so sure about that.  When Gavin Newsome started talking about "climate lockdowns," he accidentally showed his hand.  
HistoryBuff
HistoryBuff
-->
@thett3
If things get really bad again then yeah the politics of it would be different than what I’m saying.
ok, well then it sounds like you are agreeing with exactly what the plan is. If things continue to get better, the restrictions will wind down. If they don't get better, then restrictions will remain. 

thett3
thett3
-->
@HistoryBuff
Well where I live the restrictions have been over since last May, except for the mask mandate which ended a few months ago. There doesn’t seem to be any appetite whatsoever for tightening things up, and wasn’t even during the peak this winter. All but the most diehard lockdown activists will be long since over it soon (again, barring another extreme surge which is highly unlikely.)

Unfortunately for Dems the demographic most likely to be in favor of permanent lockdownism (neurotic, educated white people in urban areas) are the group that has the biggest disproportionate influence on the parties rhetoric and policies. There’s definitely a danger of backlash if Dems resist things going back to normal 
HistoryBuff
HistoryBuff
-->
@thett3
Well where I live the restrictions have been over since last May, except for the mask mandate which ended a few months ago. There doesn’t seem to be any appetite whatsoever for tightening things up, and wasn’t even during the peak this winter.
then you probably live deep in trump country. Half your neighbors probably don't even think covid is real. So what those people think has absolutely no bearing on electoral results because they are going to vote for their cult leader no matter what the democrats do. 

All but the most diehard lockdown activists will be long since over it soon (again, barring another extreme surge which is highly unlikely.)
why would it be unlikely? most of the world isn't vaccinated yet. That leaves billions of people the virus can infect and mutate in. Any one of those mutations could make the vaccine less effective. 

Unfortunately for Dems the demographic most likely to be in favor of permanent lockdownism (neurotic, educated white people in urban areas) are the group that has the biggest disproportionate influence on the parties rhetoric and policies. 
lockdown policies are actually quite popular among democrats and independents. They understand they are necessary to keep people alive. 
ebuc
ebuc
-->
@Tejretics
1} policies that moves USA towards unified humanity as in one-for-all-and-all-for-one mentality that is of the most moral imperative for all of humanity not just  one nation, or group,  so as al humans find trust in those of authority that they too want what is best for all of humanity and not just a select group,

2} policies that crease human population to the levels that correspond to the systems in place we have that lessen the ongoing detriment to the ecological systems that sustain humanity,

3} with all nations agreeing the above basics, we then need to deactive the greatest and most immediate rapid to kill of humanity on Earth and that is the  hydrogen bombs,

4} polices that begin with the basics of fresh water, food and shelter, as in one-for-all-and-all-for-one mentality,

5} policies that accelerate compuster based secenarios from  much large sector of those  governmental and free enterprise, that run high number of scenarios that are likened to the how to make the world work for eveyone, without destruction to the ecological enviroment that sustains all of humanity,

6) polices that minimize social class and race, espouses a common trust of all humans do the right thing, that moves us all toward a sustainable future that does not lessens the detriment to the ecological environment  that sustains us all,

7} policies that encourage the sharing of knowledge ergo communication of education of what is needed, communitcation of what is being studied, communication of why, and communication of errors along the way in every sector of humanity,

8} cost accounting as projected from computer scenarios witht the basic assumption, that, if the ecological systems that sustain us die, that the costs are irrelevant and what is relevant, is the trust that we want as many as possible on to survive, on as  basic minimal standard of living, knowing that, what is more important is the quality of life and that quality is based on the moral and empathical treatment we enact toward each other, and not the amount of  unnecessary stuff

9} polices that root out those who seek authority, yet are proven to have not active empathy centers in their brains,

10 } polices the move in direction of spiritual hope that no humans will not design or proferliferate any firearms that kill humans and the start of this is unified world-wide agreement to destroy all firearms on Earth.

Wylted
Debates: 34
Wylted
To divide it in 2. Blue states as one country, red states as another and let's see which ideology should be completely abandoned afterword. 
coal
coal
-->
@HistoryBuff
When I posted "lock them up" or whatever I wrote, that was obviously meant to be hyperbolic.  Although I would try Fauci for fraud, among other crimes he has clearly been implicated in.

I assume based on how literally you interpreted what I wrote, and just based generally on how you seem to write and communicate, that you're about 14-16 years old.  And that's fine.  I'm going to go easy on you, for that reason.   

But you should know some background on me, though.  The methods behind the modeling used to justify these lockdowns were the bread and butter of my academic background.  You should assume that when I am speaking on this subject, I am doing so from the position of someone who (1) has expertise that Anthony Fauci does not (he has no background in statistical modeling whatsoever); and (2) someone who has familiarized themselves with essentially all of the relevant literature behind each of the competing models used by state-level and international COVID forecasts.   

I had this dialogue with another user who has, I think, now come to see things my way.  He's a little older than I think you are, though, and he's pretty smart.  If you think you want to dive into the deep end, however, that's ok too.  But if you're going to debate with me about the merits of what I'm saying, you're going to have to do better than "the media said [x]." 

There is hard data out there which obviates every aspect of the initial model used to justify all of the lockdowns and every copycat model to follow.   The original model was designed by Neil Ferguson.  It's called the Imperial Model.  You can google "Ferguson Imperial Model" to locate the publication he submitted to the British Government in March 2020.  While the original source code he used (in a language that is about as practically useful as ancient aramaic, and is equivalent to that by current standards) he has failed to release, you can find the revised and corrected code which is still disastrously incompetent on GitHub.   The story behind that fiasco is a scandal in itself. 

You must read, carefully, what Ferguson claimed would happen in the world without lockdowns as he recommended (to either mitigate or suppress, they're different and you need to understand why and how).   In the absence of any lockdown, Ferguson set a timeframe for how quickly COVID would spread and what impact that would have on medical resources as they existed in the United States and the United Kingdom.   

Most of the world locked down, but some places did not.  Among them are Sweden and Belarus.  Likewise, other states like Florida also never 'really' locked down; and only imposed minimal restrictions for a limited period of time that in no way come close to what Ferguson advised.  This means you have at least three data-sets against which to test Ferguson's model's assumptions; i.e., did he predict correctly?  Turns out he did not.  To just chart a few of his egregious errors, Ferguson assumed R-0 factors (i.e., how contagious is this thing, based on how many people any one person with COVID is likely to infect) which had no basis in reality, he failed to distinguish susceptibility to infection by age group (even though it was amply known before he published that he needed to) and assumed universal susceptibility where data were already published sufficient to falsify that claim. 

Any academic who was not out to engage in fraud would have at least endeavored to recalibrate his model based on improved training data derived from the actual virus.  He never did.  He ignored data-sets that were inconsistent with his fantastically absurd predictions and  misrepresented the significance of data he had. Ferguson published end of Q1 2020.  He made predictions for Q2-Q4, and beyond through the end of the pandemic.  By the middle of Q2 (so, end of May 2020) it was clear the exponential growth he predicted was not going to happen.  The cases just weren't rising fast enough, and they never would.  

So, why did the United States (in democrat-ran states), Canada, England, New Zealand and Australia maintain their lockdowns?  I have my theories.  But evidence in the form of data to support their efficacy does not exist, unless you gerrymander the data by arbitrary criteria.  But even if you did do that, there exists no data that actually supports that lockdowns worked.  Why, you might ask?  Because the virus spread in the exact same way, no matter whether there was a lockdown or not.  Said another way, there is no evidence that lockdowns had any effect on either (a) rate of community spread or (b) fatality rates (based on either the case-fatality rate or the infection fatality rate). 

If Ferguson was right, then the rate of case growth in Sweden should have been not just a little ... but precipitously higher than the case growth rate in a country like the United Kingdom.  Except the opposite happened.  Likewise, if Ferguson was right, then at least some metric of fatality rates from COVID in Sweden should have been greater than in the United Kingdom.  There too, just the opposite happened. 

Why might this be?  How could Ferguson have been so profoundly wrong?  The answer is simple:  he's a complete fucking fraud.  Which is why no one in his field took him seriously before this.  He was laughed out of the Obama administration in a "thanks but no thanks; don't call us we'll call you" type situation when he tried to pitch his model for Obama's pandemic prep measures.   So what was different between then and now?  One answer comes to mind.  Trump was against lockdowns.  A scientist with a fringe theory said otherwise.  Behold, the "follow-the-science" opposition. To this end, anyone who disagreed got their career ended because the media and left took this as an "us versus them" type battle.  Science, evidence and data had nothing whatsoever to do with any of their "safety measures," for if they did they'd have changed course by May 2020.  

But Coal, you're the only person I've heard saying that!  You can't possibly be right!  
It pains me tho know that that's probably true, because you likely have only heard what has been reported to you in the media --- which have silenced those who disagree, and who published at the same time as Ferguson --- as steadfast voices of reason amid alarmist paranoia from idiots in media and the political left who were hell-bent on hanging every single COVID death around Tump's neck.  Of course, they called Trump a racist for even talking about COVID in January and February 2020, when it was beyond obvious this was going to be a global pandemic.  Videos still exist on YouTube, by some miracle, of Nancy Pelosi encouraging all in February 2020 to go celebrate Chinese New Year.   

There are thousands of others (find their names in the Great Barrington Declaration), but two names you should know are John Ionidis and Jay Battacharya.  Both are at Stanford's Department of Public Health.  Ionidis is not just "a" but the expert in this area.  He has all but vitiated everything Ferguson ever wrote.   And when you read and understand the actual evidence behind any of these lockdowns, and comprehend how lacking it is or ever was, only then will you appreciate how even proposing them was sheer and complete insanity.  

no, I explained why it was sheer insanity.
You did no such thing.  Though you may think you have.  You have not. 

Anyone who wants to save lives should imprisoned. And we should protect freedom by taking away people's freedom. Do you think that this isn't crazy? 
When you expand the power of the state to ruin people's lives, livelihoods and steal their liberty based on a self-evident lie; you are a criminal and must be imprisoned. 

And I mean, none of the covid restrictions are new powers of the government.
Every word of this sentence is false.  There is not now, nor has there ever been, precedent for the lockdowns.  And do not conflate masks and lockdowns.  They are not the same thing and do not involve the same issues. 

coal
coal
-->
@thett3
See post above.  you might appreciate.  
Greyparrot
Debates: 4
Greyparrot
-->
@coal
Holy shit coal.
Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@coal
Also Coal, have you seen the videos of people doing a "vape test" with different kinds of masks available and worn by the public? 

If so, what are your thoughts on it?
coal
coal
-->
@Greyparrot
Holy shit coal.

What?
Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@coal
What?

The truth bomb you laid.
coal
coal
-->
@Greyparrot
lol oh ...

You know I've been on this war path since March 2020.  

May 2020 may have been when it was beyond obvious Ferguson was wrong.  But anyone with the relevant background could have told you why he was wrong before he even published.

Diamond Princess Cruise data, Exhibit A to this point.  
Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@coal
Not a lot of people bother to do their own research, probably because they don't know how to.

What do you think of the vapor videos that show where your breath actually goes when you exhale using commonly distributed masks? Does it partially explain why infection rates persisted?

I've also read that the 6 foot rule was using data from other flu strains and that Covid in particular has a much wider effective transmission radius especially indoors. 

I've also read a lot about how ventilation played a far greater role in preventing the spread than mask wearing which explained the low rates of transmission during outdoor activity and surprisingly, the very low rates on airplanes due to the typical top down ventilation and Hepa filtration of recycled air.
thett3
thett3
-->
@HistoryBuff
then you probably live deep in trump country. Half your neighbors probably don't even think covid is real. So what those people think has absolutely no bearing on electoral results because they are going to vote for their cult leader no matter what the democrats do. 
I live in a purple county in Texas. I think coal said all that needed to be said in his reply to you, but I don’t appreciate the dismissiveness.