New Zealand weightlifter Laurel Hubbard to be first transgender athlete to compete at Olympics

Author: bronskibeat

Total: 79
badger
Debates: 0
badger
-->
@bronskibeat
You're deciding upon whether a person can compete or not depending upon any advantages they might have or not have. Before they've run at all, if it were running, for example.

It's very silly. It's the outcomes of performances or competitions being decided by a committee. 
bronskibeat
Debates: 3
bronskibeat
-->
@badger
You're deciding upon whether a person can compete or not depending upon any advantages they might have or not have. Before they've run at all, if it were running, for example.

It's very silly. It's the outcomes of performances or competitions being decided by a committee. 

Eh. It would be somewhat similar to how it works for the Olympics now: Trans athlete would qualify. The committee would determine whether they are on fair playing field with cis women based on pre-determined regulations. If they're not, then they don't get to play. My version would just be more detailed. I think there would have to be some documentation essentially displaying the range of physical characteristics of the cis women players of that particular sport (muscle strength, height, weight, hormones, etc.) And see where the trans player's own physical characteristics fall within that data. If their own physical characteristics show clear overall  advantage over the other players, then they don't get to play.

Of course, this is hypothetical. I'm just spitting ideas. I'm just saying, we don't necessarily have to have such a generalized take on this, when there's obviously a lot more nuance at play.
badger
badger
-->
@bronskibeat
Or maybe we let women be women and men be men and avoid the whole muddle. You're playing a game of backwards steroids here. It's fun and new, sure, but banning steroids is easy. 
badger
badger
I did tell you to make what you like of it. 
ILikePie5
Debates: 2
ILikePie5
-->
@bronskibeat
But the other three, I'll accept. I guess where I'm headed is, do you think there is a compromise somewhere?
No I don’t. You participate with the sex assigned to you at birth.

Or instead of banning trans-women outright it could be a case by case basis based on the individual?
No. I left out the part where even after you lose muscle it’s easy to gain back because of muscle memory. Transwomen already have an inherent advantage. It’s simply unfair to the cis woman who has been practicing her entire life for this only to be defeated by a trans woman who is physiologically superior.

The significance of those inherent advantages will vary depending on the sport, and the other advantages the trans player in question lacks.
I disagree. They’re inherent in virtually every sport that requires any form of strength.

Say there is a trans-woman basketball player who is skilled and she has those three advantages listed above. But she's short. She's 5'6. The average WNBA player is 6'0. Does that handicap create a balance for her  that makes her a fair teammate/opponent?
Trans women have more stamina contributed by their larger heart and placement of diaphragm muscles. The way you characterize it, there’s no measurable way you could make that a rule even if you wanted too. In my opinion a 5’6 trans women wouldn’t even play in the WNBA because they’re that short - a physical attribute which is unchangeable.

I would say that it could. And that's just one example, there's many different scenarios where a balance can be found. 
I disagree. Your analogy lacks merit. A 5’6 transwomen would never play in the WNBA in the first place because they’re short which is a physical attribute. Your what if scenario doesn’t work lol.

Being short is an inherent disqualifier in terms of basketball regardless of your sex at birth lol
ILikePie5
ILikePie5
-->
@bronskibeat
Badger puts what I’m talking about very well.
bronskibeat
bronskibeat
-->
@ILikePie5

No. I left out the part where even after you lose muscle it’s easy to gain back because of muscle memory. Transwomen already have an inherent advantage. It’s simply unfair to the cis woman who has been practicing her entire life for this only to be defeated by a trans woman who is physiologically superior.
Trans women are not going to gain back the same muscle they had pre-HRT. But you're right in that there is some question as to how much they retain. It seems the results are mixed. I would still say this is a good point, but all of the research I've seen (including research that suggest trans-women to hold onto advantage in muscle strength) suggests there is still a lot more research to be done before any real conclusions can be drawn. I'll leave this point for now.

I disagree. They’re inherent in virtually every sport that requires any form of strength.
I mean, obviously being a goalie on a soccer team and being a runner are going to rely on different advantages. The significance is going to vary.

Trans women have more stamina contributed by their larger heart and placement of diaphragm muscles. The way you characterize it, there’s no measurable way you could make that a rule even if you wanted too. In my opinion a 5’6 trans women wouldn’t even play in the WNBA because they’re that short - a physical attribute which is unchangeable.

I disagree. Your analogy lacks merit. A 5’6 transwomen would never play in the WNBA in the first place because they’re short which is a physical attribute. Your what if scenario doesn’t work lol.

Being short is an inherent disqualifier in terms of basketball regardless of your sex at birth lol
Well, I'll help out your "opinion" a little bit here (a quick google search could have helped you out as well): Like I said, the average WNBA player tends to be 6'0 (or around there), but the shortest ever was 5'2. There have been other players 5'6 and under as well. So, you're wrong. But that's fine. My point is that short players obviously have to be very good or have benefits in other ways to counteract their lack of height. So, at what point is an advantage truly significant when there are multiple factors that determine an athlete's performance? And how significant are those advantage when the player also has clear disadvantages that most other players don't share? 
Theweakeredge
Debates: 33
Theweakeredge
-->
@RationalMadman
Sure buddy, claim I'm the arrogant one - you have ONE example and nothing else that is even remotely valid. Why the hell would I be convinced by one example? And claims that have exactly ZERO evidence behind them - not to mention active evidence against your claim. I'm not dodging, and again, you are being intellectually dishonest -= would you like me to list the posts proving that chronologically or alphabetically?
ILikePie5
ILikePie5
-->
@bronskibeat
I mean, obviously being a goalie on a soccer team and being a runner are going to rely on different advantages. The significance is going to vary.
Sure but you have yet to convey that in this scenario. A trans woman as a goalie compared to a cis woman still holds a superior pelvic structure which allows them to jump further, kick further, etc.

Well, I'll help out your "opinion" a little bit here (a quick google search could have helped you out as well): Like I said, the average WNBA player tends to be 6'0 (or around there), but the shortest ever was 5'2. There have been other players 5'6 and under as well. So, you're wrong. But that's fine. My point is that short players obviously have to be very good or have benefits in other ways to counteract their lack of height. So, at what point is an advantage truly significant when there are multiple factors that determine an athlete's performance? And how significant are those advantage when the player also has clear disadvantages that most other players don't share?
I think you misunderstood my point but ig I could have been more clear. Ofc they’re going to hire people less than 6’0 lol. But my point was they’re more likely to hire a 6’0 than a 5’6 person because of the advantage conferred. My point is that a 5’6 trans women still holds advantages that even a 6’0 male doesn’t have. It’s like having a 5’6 cis male from the NBA participate in WNBA against a 6’0 cis woman. The male wins everytime because wot the body structure which allows for dunks and hard lay ups, etc. A trans woman still brings this advantage conferred in men to a cis woman sport.

My problem is why they should feel entitled to compete against cis women when they’re superior - it’s like having an NBA player and playing against a WNBA player but in this case it’s the worst NBA player against the best WNBA player. The NBA player wins every time. That’s essentially the comparison here.

Everyone knows the reason why trans women choose to compete in cis women sports is cause it’s easier. Gender identity is only a ridiculous justification for it. And as RM mentioned, a disgrace to every aspect of women’s rights and sports.

RationalMadman
Debates: 562
RationalMadman
-->
@Theweakeredge
Sure buddy, claim I'm the arrogant one - you have ONE example and nothing else that is even remotely valid. Why the hell would I be convinced by one example?
One athlete and one policy change is all it takes, this is the tip of the iceberg.
Theweakeredge
Theweakeredge
-->
@RationalMadman
To make a claim that attempts to be representative and generalize almost 4 million people? No. No its not enough. 
RationalMadman
RationalMadman
-->
@Theweakeredge
What are you talking about?

If there's that many give them their own division.
Theweakeredge
Theweakeredge
-->
@RationalMadman
You are attempting to claim that an entire demographic has an attribute - i.e - increased athletic ability without any representative evidence to demonstrate your claims. 
RationalMadman
RationalMadman
-->
@Theweakeredge
LOL!!!!?

Evidence that male sex have advantage over female sex in sports?

Fucking hell. That's the fucking limit. Blocked.
bronskibeat
bronskibeat
-->
@ILikePie5
Sure but you have yet to convey that in this scenario. A trans woman as a goalie compared to a cis woman still holds a superior pelvic structure which allows them to jump further, kick further, etc.
I'll be a bit more specific and break this down a little bit:

Characteristics of a good goal keeper: good jumping ability, great agility, solid catching, and fast reflexes. A physical characteristic that is going to be very important is height. You're average height for a goal-keeper on the US Women's National Soccer Team is about 5'9.

Pelvic structure might help with power, but that's only one piece to a larger puzzle.. There's a few different ways a trans-woman's "advantages" would not carry over post-HRT even if they transitioned while in adulthood. For example, the ability to move a larger-framed body with less muscle mass (due to HRT) has negative impact on a trans-woman's agility (not enough muscle mass to move the frame with high efficiancy). The lack of agility would also have negative impact on their ability to jump further and maintain fast reflexes. A cis woman with the appropriate amount of muscle mass for her frame would not experience these set-backs in agility.

I will also backtrack to your point about lung capacity. I did a bit more research. The bone structure of the diaphragm may not change post HRT, but hemoglobin levels do. They drop. Which has a proportional direct effect on VO2max levels. Meaning they don't exactly maintain that advantage. So, I guess that leaves pelvic structure, size of heart, and potential muscle memory (it appears the verdict is still out). But still no clear overall advantages.

I guess this is all to say, that you can't just look at the advantages without also studying how HRT impacts various parts of the body.

I think you misunderstood my point but ig I could have been more clear. Ofc they’re going to hire people less than 6’0 lol. But my point was they’re more likely to hire a 6’0 than a 5’6 person because of the advantage conferred. My point is that a 5’6 trans women still holds advantages that even a 6’0 male doesn’t have. It’s like having a 5’6 cis male from the NBA participate in WNBA against a 6’0 cis woman. The male wins everytime because wot the body structure which allows for dunks and hard lay ups, etc. A trans woman still brings this advantage conferred in men to a cis woman sport.

I'll reiterate my points above for this as well. There are clear advantages between cis-men and cis-women. Those advantages become less clear when HRT enters into the conversation. The fact that most of your arguments still rely on comparisons of cis-men and cis women without consideration of HRT show that there really isn't enough evidence for your side.

It would seem there is still a lot of research to be done, and perhaps we are in "too close to call" territory. Sports scientists can't seem to figure out if there is a true advantage, and if there is, how significant of an advantage. The fact is trans-women make up less than 0.6% of the population. And an even smaller percentage would be pursuing a career of a professional athlete. Laurel Hubbard is first transgender athlete to be chosen to compete at the Olympics, and trans people have been allowed to compete at the Olympics since 2004. It's going to take a while to see this have any real impact on women's sports, if it ever does. From my understanding, the few professional trans-women athletes that are competing have all experienced loses to cis-women. So, from my knowledge, we have yet to see a trans-woman athlete "win every time."

Everyone knows the reason why trans women choose to compete in cis women sports is cause it’s easier. Gender identity is only a ridiculous justification for it. And as RM mentioned, a disgrace to every aspect of women’s rights and sports.
This is a very silly thing to assume. The reality is, trans-women want to compete in cis-women's sports for the same reason trans-men want to compete in cis-male sports.

It doesn't matter if it's a trans-woman who wants to play on a woman's basketball team, a trans-man who wants to be apart of the male soccer team, or a trans-girl who wants to be apart of the girl-scouts, etc. To say that the reason they want to compete against cis women is "because it's easier", ignores the reality that trans people are always going to be included as the gender they identify as, not the gender they don't, regardless of whether we're talking about sports or not. The reason why? Gender dysphoria: https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/gender-dysphoria/symptoms-causes/syc-20475255

RationalMadman
RationalMadman
-->
@bronskibeat
 for the same reason trans-men want to compete in cis-male sports.
The latter lose and are outperformed, always, 100% of the time. You will never get a Laurel Hubbard of the reverse trans kind outperforming peak cis male athletes at pretty much any sport other than perhaps gymnastics.

Find me an exception, this has been allowed especially in something like Marathons (a trans man officially competed as a male).
bronskibeat
bronskibeat
-->
@RationalMadman

The latter lose and are outperformed, always, 100% of the time. You will never get a Laurel Hubbard of the reverse trans kind outperforming peak cis male athletes at pretty much any sport other than perhaps gymnastics.

Find me an exception, this has been allowed especially in something like Marathons (a trans man officially competed as a male).

None of this relates to the point I was raising in my original post (saying that rans-men desiring to compete with and against cis-men is not the same as saying they would dominate the competition). You have trouble staying on-topic. Anyway, I've only looked into trans-women competing in women's sports because that is all most people seem to care about.

To play with your point just a little bit: I don't necessarily disagree that it's hard to envision a trans-male athlete "dominating the competition" (though there are very few out there, and it would depend on the sport). But as far as you're comment about trans-men "lose and are outperformed, always, 100% of the time." Found a trans-male pro boxer, Patricio Manuel, he has beaten won against a cis-man. ESPN ran a story about him a day or so ago. So, I think we will see trans-male athletes who can compete against other men successfully on a professional level. That's definitely a reasonable expectation. Again, it's a wait and see. 

RationalMadman
RationalMadman
-->
@bronskibeat
I said peak. The entire reason there's a sex split in sports is peaks.

Peak Female athletes will destroy mediocreale athletes or at least defeat them dhe to their edge.

This is about how far the maximim can be pushed. Male bodies enable higher peaks physically in many respects. It's exactly this that limits the female athletes and is why we needed a female split.
TheUnderdog
Debates: 5
TheUnderdog
This shouldn't be making news.  There are other issues to talk about.