The Gospels of Jesus

Author: EtrnlVw

Total: 132
Mopac
Debates: 4
Mopac
"He riseth from supper, and laid aside his garments; and took a towel, and girded himself. After that he poureth water into a bason, and began to wash the disciples' feet, and to wipe them with the towel wherewith he was girded. Then cometh he to Simon Peter: and Peter saith unto him, Lord, dost thou wash my feet?

Jesus answered and said unto him, What I do thou knowest not now; but thou shalt know hereafter.

Peter saith unto him, Thou shalt never wash my feet. Jesus answered him, If I wash thee not, thou hast no part with me.

Simon Peter saith unto him, Lord, not my feet only, but also my hands and my head.

Jesus saith to him, He that is washed needeth not save to wash his feet, but is clean every whit: and ye are clean, but not all....

So after he had washed their feet, and had taken his garments, and was set down again, he said unto them, Know ye what I have done to you? Ye call me Master and Lord: and ye say well; for so I am. If I then, your Lord and Master, have washed your feet; ye also ought to wash one another's feet. For I have given you an example, that ye should do as I have done to you. Verily, verily, I say unto you, The servant is not greater than his lord; neither he that is sent greater than he that sent him. If ye know these things, happy are ye if ye do them."

ethang5
Debates: 1
ethang5
-->
@Goldtop
What denomination was Jesus, the founder of Christianity? When the phrase, "Church of Christ" is used in the NT, what denomination is that?

Lol. You have the "facts" do ya?

ethang5
ethang5
-->
@Stephen
No denominations are added to Christianity by someone making a list. The bible notes no denominations.

You think Christianity is something decided by people.

Outplayz
Debates: 0
Outplayz
-->
@EtrnlVw
I personally like the story of his death. I think it's genius. There is no other story i can think of that would mean ultimate love for everyone. 
disgusted
disgusted
-->
@Mopac
I asked first. Get your tail out from between your legs.
Mopac
Mopac
-->
@Outplayz
"Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends."

And that is exactly what he did.

Outplayz
Outplayz
-->
@Mopac
"Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends."

It's actually deeper than this the way i see it. Bc it wasn't only for his friends. It was also for murders, rapists, and to prove this, evil people were right next to him (if that was left out it wouldn't be construed for everyone which is quite brilliant "bad" "evil" men were next to him). That is why i think it is genius. There is no other story that would cover everyone. If he had only done miracles, people would say he would only do it for people he likes. If he only said it, people would think he lied. To die a torturous death with the intention of it being for everyone leaves no room for doubt it was for everyone (especially since evil people were next to him and he said it's for them too). That's why i think there is no other story that one could tell that would be for everyone. In that, it's genius, but let's not forget i only think it's a story. With that said, i do respect how good of a story it was/is. 

If Jesus was real however, i think he would be appalled by the state of religion today. In that, i agree with Stephen. Bc the next story i really like about Jesus other than this story is that he hated the church as it was. 
Goldtop
Goldtop
-->
@ethang5
What denomination was Jesus, the founder of Christianity?
He was a Rabbi.

When the phrase, "Church of Christ" is used in the NT, what denomination is that?
Please show us all which verse the phrase, "Church of Christ" is used. You'll find no such phrase in the NT.

So, now we have another 2  of your claims about your religion which you were totally wrong. It's crystal clear you have never read the Bible. That is hilarious.

Well, whatever you have, you've been smoking way too much of it. Lol
ethang5
ethang5

What denomination was Jesus, the founder of Christianity?

He was a Rabbi. 
Rabbi is not a denomination genius. Dodge much?

When the phrase, "Church of Christ" is used in the NT, what denomination is that?

Please show us all which verse the phrase, "Church of Christ" is used. You'll find no such phrase in the NT.

Rom 16:16 - Salute one another with an holy kiss. The churches of Christ salute you.

Now, will you continue to dodge the question, or will you shock everyone and address it?

So, now we have another 2  of your claims about your religion which you were totally wrong. It's crystal clear you have never read the Bible. That is hilarious.
I'm laughing.

Well, whatever you have, you've been smoking way too much of it. Lol
You see that a bible search tool is not a substitute for actual bible knowledge. You doofuses are so quick to claim wins.
Goldtop
Goldtop
Rabbi is not a denomination genius. Dodge much?
Hahahahaha! Of course, Rabbi isn't a Christian denomination, Clem.

Rom 16:16 - Salute one another with an holy kiss. The churches of Christ salute you.
Thank you for confirming the phrase, "Church of Christ" is not found in the Bible.

Now, will you continue to dodge the question, or will you shock everyone and address it?
No one is dodging, you're just saying really dumb things about your own religion.

You doofuses are so quick to claim wins.
No one is claiming any wins here, you're just saying really dumb things.
disgusted
disgusted
-->
@ethang5
What denomination was Jesus
He was a Jew.

Mopac
Mopac
-->
@Outplayz
You can kill a truth, but you can't kill The Truth.

I used to think the same thing about religion and what Jesus would think about it. Sometimes I still do.

However, it is also written

"above all things have fervent charity among yourselves: for charity shall cover the multitude of sins."

And

"No man hath seen God at any time. If we love one another, God dwelleth in us, and his love is perfected in us. Hereby know we that we dwell in him, and he in us, because he hath given us of his Spirit. And we have seen and do testify that the Father sent the Son to be the Saviour of the world. Whosoever shall confess that Jesus is the Son of God, God dwelleth in him, and he in God. And we have known and believed the love that God hath to us. God is love; and he that dwelleth in love dwelleth in God, and God in him.

Herein is our love made perfect, that we may have boldness in the day of judgment: because as he is, so are we in this world. There is no fear in love; but perfect love casteth out fear: because fear hath torment. He that feareth is not made perfect in love. We love him, because he first loved us.

If a man say, I love God, and hateth his brother, he is a liar: for he that loveth not his brother whom he hath seen, how can he love God whom he hath not seen? And this commandment have we from him, That he who loveth God love his brother also."

And also

"Therefore thou art inexcusable, O man, whosoever thou art that judgest: for wherein thou judgest another, thou condemnest thyself; for thou that judgest doest the same things. But we are sure that the judgment of God is according to truth against them which commit such things. And thinkest thou this, O man, that judgest them which do such things, and doest the same, that thou shalt escape the judgment of God? Or despisest thou the riches of his goodness and forbearance and longsuffering; not knowing that the goodness of God leadeth thee to repentance? But after thy hardness and impenitent heart treasurest up unto thyself wrath against the day of wrath and revelation of the righteous judgment of God; Who will render to every man according to his deeds: To them who by patient continuance in well doing seek for glory and honour and immortality, eternal life: But unto them that are contentious, and do not obey the truth, but obey unrighteousness, indignation and wrath, tribulation and anguish, upon every soul of man that doeth evil, of the Jew first, and also of the Gentile; But glory, honour, and peace, to every man that worketh good, to the Jew first, and also to the Gentile: for there is no respect of persons with God."

So what is the point? Have charity on the church, for by forgiving the church and those in it, you are showing the love of God. If you do not forgive the church, you are like the servent who was forgiven his debt only to go off and break the knees of those who owe him money.
Mopac
Mopac
"Therefore is the kingdom of heaven likened unto a certain king, which would take account of his servants.
And when he had begun to reckon, one was brought unto him, which owed him ten thousand talents.
But forasmuch as he had not to pay, his lord commanded him to be sold, and his wife, and children, and all that he had, and payment to be made.
The servant therefore fell down, and worshipped him, saying, Lord, have patience with me, and I will pay thee all.
Then the lord of that servant was moved with compassion, and loosed him, and forgave him the debt.

But the same servant went out, and found one of his fellowservants, which owed him an hundred pence: and he laid hands on him, and took him by the throat, saying, Pay me that thou owest.
And his fellowservant fell down at his feet, and besought him, saying, Have patience with me, and I will pay thee all.
And he would not: but went and cast him into prison, till he should pay the debt.
So when his fellowservants saw what was done, they were very sorry, and came and told unto their lord all that was done.
Then his lord, after that he had called him, said unto him, O thou wicked servant, I forgave thee all that debt, because thou desiredst me:
Shouldest not thou also have had compassion on thy fellowservant, even as I had pity on thee?
And his lord was wroth, and delivered him to the tormentors, till he should pay all that was due unto him.

So likewise shall my heavenly Father do also unto you, if ye from your hearts forgive not every one his brother their trespasses."

Stephen
Stephen
-->
@ethang5
What denomination wasJesus

Jesus was Jew. He was king of Jews.He was High Priest of the Jewish temple and Head of the Jewish nation. Jesus wouldhave been appalled at the fact  a whole new church and religion has sprungup in his name. James the Just, brother of the Christ was an early leader ofthe Jerusalem Church of the Apostolic Age after jesus was crucified.

Jesus was never deified byJews. 

Rabbi is not adenomination genius.
Well genius, a Rabbi  is aJewish scholar or teacher, especially one who studies or teaches Jewish law.
a person appointedas a Jewish religious leader.

Stephen
Stephen
-->
@Mopac
Therefore is the kingdom of heaven likened unto a certain king,

What and where is the kingdom of heaven? And when the war happen there? 

above all things have fervent charity among yourselves: for charity shall cover the multitude of sins."

Translates:  Hand over all your money and belongings , and you will be forgiven for all rapes and murders of children you have commited in heaven when you die. Yes that sounds about right, doesn't it Mopac?
ethang5
ethang5
I ask, "What denomination was Jesus?"

Our local genius tells us Jesus' ethnicity. Jesus had no denomination einstein.

Our other local genius answers, "Jesus was a rabbi". When I tell him that "rabbi" is not a denomination, this doofus shouts, "Rabbi  is a Jewish scholar or teacher."  

Rabbi is still not a denomination Jethro. There are no denominations in Christianity.
ethang5
ethang5
Hahahahaha! Of course, Rabbi isn't a Christian denomination, Clem. 
It isn't a denomination at all, but you are free to be stupid.

Adding the whole word "christian" where it wasn't is OK, but "churches of Christ" is wrong for "Church of Christ"?

Lol. Ok.
Stephen
Stephen
-->
@ethang5

There are no denominations in Christianity.

You just love being beat with your own stick, don't you. I have never come across a masochistic clown such as yourself.

List of Christian denominations.

Jesus was Jew. He was king of Jews. He was High Priest of the Jewish temple and Head of the Jewish nation and he was crucified for sedition because he was a JEW!!!!. Jesus would have been appalled at the fact  a whole new church and religion has sprung up in his name. James the Just, brother of the Christ was an early leader of the Jerusalem Church of the Apostolic Age after Jesus was crucified.

Jesus was never deified by Jews. 

keithprosser
keithprosser
No denominations are added to Christianity by someone making a list. The bible notes no denominations.
You think Christianity is something decided by people.

Christianity seems to have had divisions from the start and a list is given by Paul:

1 Cor 1:11-12

"My brothers and sisters, some from Chloe’s household have informed me that there are quarrels among you. 12 What I mean is this: One of you says, “I follow Paul”; another, “I follow Apollos”; another, “I follow Cephas[b]”; still another, “I follow Christ.”

Mopac
Mopac
-->
@Stephen
Hand over all your money and belongings , and you will be forgiven for all rapes and murders of children you have commited in heaven when you die. Yes that sounds about right, doesn't it Mopac?

That is not biblical charity. This is biblical charity...

"Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, and have not charity, I am become as sounding brass, or a tinkling cymbal.
And though I have the gift of prophecy, and understand all mysteries, and all knowledge; and though I have all faith, so that I could remove mountains, and have not charity, I am nothing.
And though I bestow all my goods to feed the poor, and though I give my body to be burned, and have not charity, it profiteth me nothing.

Charity suffereth long, and is kind; charity envieth not; charity vaunteth not itself, is not puffed up,
Doth not behave itself unseemly, seeketh not her own, is not easily provoked, thinketh no evil;
Rejoiceth not in iniquity, but rejoiceth in the truth;
Beareth all things, believeth all things, hopeth all things, endureth all things.

Charity never faileth: but whether there be prophecies, they shall fail; whether there be tongues, they shall cease; whether there be knowledge, it shall vanish away.
For we know in part, and we prophesy in part.
But when that which is perfect is come, then that which is in part shall be done away.

When I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child: but when I became a man, I put away childish things.
For now we see through a glass, darkly; but then face to face: now I know in part; but then shall I know even as also I am known.
And now abideth faith, hope, charity, these three; but the greatest of these is charity."

Mopac
Mopac
-->
@ethang5
@keithprosser
Heresies serve a purpose...

"For there must be also heresies among you, that they which are approved may be made manifest among you."

ethang5
ethang5
Divisions are not denominations. There are no denominations mentioned in the bible. Jesus claimed no denomination.

You stopped at verse 12, let's continue so your opposition to Christ is more clear, OK?

1Co 1:13 - Is Christ divided? Was Paul crucified for you? Were you baptized in the name of Paul?

1Co 1:18 - For the message of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God.

1Co 1:24 - but to those whom God has called, both Jews and Greeks, Christ the power of God and the wisdom of God.

1Co 1:25 - For the foolishness of God is wiser than human wisdom, and the weakness of God is stronger than human strength.

1Co 1:29 - so that no one may boast before him.

1Co 1:30 - It is because of him that you are in Christ Jesus, who has become for us wisdom from God — that is, our righteousness, holiness and redemption.

You can do nothing against the truth.

Castin
Castin
-->
@EtrnlVw
"Love thine enemy."

I'd have to start with this one. It's one of Christ's teachings I respect the most. It's so incredibly unpopular an idea, cutting right against the grain of human instinct, yet so sorely needed in a hateful and tribalistic world where it's so easy to get lost in an Us vs Them mentality.

I also really like the sentiment in this one:

"For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me. ... Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me."

It's easy for people to neglect and devalue the homeless person, the refugee, the elderly family member in the rest home, the relative in prison. The idea that how you treat the least matters the most is one I find pretty resonant.
disgusted
disgusted
-->
@ethang5
Our local genius tells us Jesus' ethnicity. Jesus had no denomination einstein.

To the uneducated I proffer an education. I gave you his religion.
Jesus had no denomination because he was a Jew, you intelligence lacking windbag.
disgusted
disgusted
-->
@Mopac
Which ignorant primitive wrote that?
ethang5
ethang5
Jesus had no denomination because....
We know jedthro. We're the ones saying Jesus had no denomination.

Thus Christianity had no denomination. "Jew" is not a denomination.
ethang5
ethang5
-->
@Castin
The idea that how you treat the least matters the most is one I find pretty resonant.
You and millions of others. That is part of the reason 2,000 years later, we are still talking about it and atheist's still fume. It resonates with people who still have a conscience, a soul.
Stephen
Stephen
-->
@ethang5
That is part of the reason 2,000 years later, we are still talking about it 

And another part of the reason is because on the surface the New Testament and the story of The Christ makes absolutely no sense whatsoever.

This is why it is one of the most debated, discussed and argued over pieces of literature ever written. It simply boils down to Faith  V  Fact.

Mopac
Mopac
-->
@Stephen
The real church knows what its faith is in. Let the heretics and unbelievers consume eachother in their strife.

Stephen
Stephen
Let the heretics and unbelievers consume each other in their strife.

I think that it is the believers who are "consuming each other in their strife".

You see, you sycophantic clown Atheist all agree, while Christians have continuously disagreed about one Christian doctrine or another. 

No Mopac, it is the Christian family that consumes one another in their strife because they continuously struggle to be the right doctrine.

Look how many splits there have been and still are in the christian family.