Atheist's come forth

Author: Timid8967

Total: 110
Timid8967
Debates: 0
Timid8967
A question for atheists.  

How many of you have come from a religious background? And what was this background? And what convinced you to become an atheist? 

Was it a journey or an epiphany? Did it cause problems with your family or partner at the time? 

And are you still connected somehow with the people from your old religious affiliation? 
Reece101
Debates: 1
Reece101
-->
@Timid8967
How many of you have come from a religious background? And what was this background? And what convinced you to become an atheist? 
I kinda came from a religious background but only in my intermediate school years staying with my dad and stepmum. 
When I came back home I started questioning.

Was it a journey or an epiphany? Did it cause problems with your family or partner at the time? 
More like a journey. and It didn’t cause problems.  

Although there was one time my stepmum told me off for holding my cutlery in the wrong hands and said something about the devil. 
Like the “proper” way is to hold the fork in your left hand, and the knife in your right.
I’ve thought to myself, ‘if you’re right handed, why the hell would you have your knife in your right hand? People eat primarily with their right hand when not using cutlery. Also there’s a reason why people shake hands with their right hand; It’s because originally it was a polite gesture you wouldn’t stab/slice them with the sword you were sheathing.’

But for the most part she tried to keep her nuttery under wraps.

And are you still connected somehow with the people from your old religious affiliation? 
Not really. Only knew them for a few years and I live pretty far away.

Stephen
Stephen
-->
@Timid8967
A question for atheists.  

How many of you have come from a religious background? And what was this background? And what convinced you to become an atheist

That's six questions.... in any language
Lemming
Debates: 6
Lemming
-->
@Timid8967
How many of you have come from a religious background?
Yes.
And what was this background?
Christianity.
And what convinced you to become an atheist? 
I don't currently recall.
Though I was not so much convinced to 'become an atheist, as my perspective had changed over time, and thus I was better 'classified as an atheist.
Was it a journey or an epiphany?
Likely both, I don't 'think that who a person is, what they believe, 'tends to change in an instant.
Even if they have an epiphany or several, it's often just another bit of information, to add to a question.
Did it cause problems with your family or partner at the time? 
I've not bothered to discuss the subject of my atheism with any of my family, but my first brother.
Hasn't caused any problems.
Never really went to church enough to form connections with anyone.
Still connected with my family.
One meets acquaintances, friends, coworkers, in life.
Their labels of religious beliefs, or labels lack of, have not been 'key, to whether I liked them or not, considered them worth keeping in contact with, or not.
TheUnderdog
Debates: 5
TheUnderdog
-->
@Timid8967
My parents are lukewarm christians.  They don't take the bible seriously.

For me, it was a journey.

In boy scouts, it did.  My parents told me that if I came out as atheist I wouldn't get Eagle since, "A scout is reverent".  I got around it by referencing atheist eagle scouts and claiming reverent just meant respectful, whether that respect is to God or something worldly.

I have friends that are christians.  It works out for everyone.
zedvictor4
Debates: 22
zedvictor4
-->
@Timid8967
They dressed me up, splashed water on my head and never set foot in a church again until someone died or got married.

Cake at Christmas and chocolate at Easter

Such is a British tradition.

And such was my conditioning, and hence was my interest.

And the Bible was the black book on the shelf all covered in dust.

Theweakeredge
Debates: 33
Theweakeredge
-->
@Timid8967
Yup, christian, specifically protestant-baptists. What thing? There wasn't a single thing that convinced me, it was a lot of stuff, but the thing that started me on the path of becoming one? Probably rapists that seriously repenting get to go to heaven - it always disturbed me that a simple sincere apology and acceptance of jesus was enough to get to heaven, and good people who don't believe would go to heaven. It made no since, an infinite god who legitmately cared for their "children" would not let their child go into the metaphorical highway because they "choose" to. 

A journey for sure, and yes, my parents hired a priest and exorcist to exorcise the demon that was obviously possessing me. 

My parents, and a good bit of my friends, yup. 
EtrnlVw
EtrnlVw
-->
@Theweakeredge
Probably rapists that seriously repenting get to go to heaven - and good people who don't believe would go to heaven (you probably meant hell).

Wow, God gifts Heaven to rapists and sends good people to Hell lol, it's like we're reading two different books. 

it always disturbed me that a simple sincere apology and acceptance of jesus was enough to get to heaven

Its almost as if you've been to the Christian heaven, I wonder how Jesus would respond to your assertions. Maybe you have a twisted concept of what repentance means, repentance doesn't mean that a person never pays for their crimes. That's a common misconception. But it does mean that a person is not eternally damned because of a single choice they made during a lifetime. 

In all seriousness though, you do realize that hell is for criminals and heaven is for those who deserve it right? it's amazing how you guys get everything azz backwards. 
A rapist must pay for their crimes, the God of the Christian heaven is not as stupid as you probably think. After a rapist faces the consequences of their crime (reap what they sow), they may get a chance to adjust their heart and future choices, if they do in fact adjust them God has mercy.  In other words God doesn't judge your finite crimes with an eternal punishment if God sees that criminals can change their ways....You seem to think this is an unfair idea?

For example, there's many ways a rapist can be punished for their deeds. They can be sentenced to prison on Earth to pay back their crime, they may lose many things you might never be aware of....they may face public scorn, lose family members respect for life, maybe never get to see their children, have a normal job, not be able to live wherever they want because of their criminal record. They may never get into heaven or worse they may experience something horrible when they die ect ect...the point being, is that you judge a scenario you have zero idea how it really plays out in reality.  But we know that if God exists, God can't be that stupid to allow criminals into heaven and good people into hell, that is the opposite of reward and punishment. 
Once a person accepts Jesus or repents, they must live righteously. 

1 Corinthians 6
9 Know ye not that the unrighteous shall not inherit the kingdom of God? 

1 john 1
5 This then is the message which we have heard of him, and declare unto you, that God is light, and in him is no darkness at all.
6 If we say that we have fellowship with him, and walk in darkness, we lie, and do not the truth:

Revelations 21
3 And I heard a great voice out of heaven saying, Behold, the tabernacle of God is with men, and he will dwell with them, and they shall be his people, and God himself shall be with them, and be their God.
5 And he that sat upon the throne said, Behold, I make all things new. And he said unto me, Write: for these words are true and faithful.
6 And he said unto me, It is done. I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the end. I will give unto him that is athirst of the fountain of the water of life freely.
7 He that overcometh shall inherit all things; and I will be his God, and he shall be my son.
8 But the fearful, and unbelieving, and the abominable, and murderers, and whoremongers, and sorcerers, and idolaters, and all liars, shall have their part in the lake which burneth with fire and brimstone: which is the second death.
25 And the gates of it shall not be shut at all by day: for there shall be no night there.
27 And there shall in no wise enter into it any thing that defileth, neither whatsoever worketh abomination, or maketh a lie: but they which are written in the Lamb's book of life.

Matthew 7

Romans 8
4 That the righteousness of the law might be fulfilled in us, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit.
5 For they that are after the flesh do mind the things of the flesh; but they that are after the Spirit the things of the Spirit.
6 For to be carnally minded is death; but to be spiritually minded is life and peace.
7 Because the carnal mind is enmity against God: for it is not subject to the law of God, neither indeed can be.
8 So then they that are in the flesh cannot please God.
9 But ye are not in the flesh, but in the Spirit, if so be that the Spirit of God dwell in you. Now if any man have not the Spirit of Christ, he is none of his.
13 For if ye live after the flesh, ye shall die: but if ye through the Spirit do mortify the deeds of the body, ye shall live.
14 For as many as are led by the Spirit of God, they are the sons of God.
16 The Spirit itself beareth witness with our spirit, that we are the children of God:

I could post many more passages, but does it sound like Heaven will be full of rapists and hell full of righteous (good) people?
Theweakeredge
Debates: 33
Theweakeredge
-->
@EtrnlVw
That's all mythery - Jesus says it in John= the only way to get into heaven is by accepting him and asking for forgiveness - no where in the bible does it say bad people who accept him will go through suffering - it simply says that Jesus will forgive ALL SINS. You have no idea what you're talking about, and none of these passages have convinced me that you do. 
EtrnlVw
EtrnlVw
-->
@Theweakeredge
That's all mythery 

lol. 

You have no idea what you're talking about

You wouldn't be the first one here to have reading comprehension issues. Almost the entire NT is based upon behavior, get a grip, perhaps refresh your childhood memories by reading it especially if you're going to be debating/discussing the contents. Forgiveness is forgiveness, that also does not mean people won't face consequences for their crimes. Asking for forgiveness is a first step, a step into living righteously. Read that passage in Romans 8 again. 

But here it is again....
For example, there's many ways a rapist can be punished for their deeds. They can be sentenced to prison on Earth to pay back their crime, they may lose many things you might never be aware of....they may face public scorn, lose family members respect for life, maybe never get to see their children, have a normal job, not be able to live wherever they want because of their criminal record. They may never get into heaven or worse they may experience something horrible when they die ect ect...the point being, is that you judge a scenario you have zero idea how it really plays out in reality.  But we know that if God exists, God can't be that stupid to allow criminals into heaven and good people into hell, that is the opposite of reward and punishment. 
Once a person accepts Jesus or repents, they must live righteously. 

EtrnlVw
EtrnlVw
-->
@Theweakeredge
Jesus will forgive ALL SINS

Why wouldn't he? what would Jesus have to lose? with such a high standard to be able to even get into heaven why would Jesus hold an eternal grudge for a soul who genuinely repented? you seem to think asking for forgiveness means everybody that asks may then live as they want, that's where you reveal your ignorance about scripture. And I guess you never took note of Matthew 7....
22Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works?
23And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity.
24Therefore whosoever heareth these sayings of mine, and doeth them, I will liken him unto a wise man, which built his house upon a rock

If every man that said a few words to Jesus to get into heaven and does so why does Jesus then reject them in the above passage? answer: because they did not meet the requirements Jesus laid out in his teachings.

If I raped your sister or mother and went to prison for 30 or 50 years, was then released and upon leaving I contacted you and asked for your forgiveness does that mean I never faced consequences for what I did? people ask God to forgive them all the time while they face penalties for their crimes, it is well known that prisoners find God in jail, should God not forgive them while they pay for their crimes and change their ways?

BrotherDThomas
Debates: 2
BrotherDThomas
-->
@Theweakeredge

Theweakeredge,

All you have to propose to the Bible ignorant fool ETRNLVW is the biblical axiom that Jesus forgives ALL, and I repeat, ALL sins if you truly believe in Him: “All the prophets testify about him that everyone who believes in him receives forgiveness of sins through his name." (Acts 10:43). Therefore, to the Christian, there is absolutely no incentive NOT TO SIN, praise Jesus' inspired words!  Get it? LOL

Timid8967
Timid8967
-->
@Stephen
thanks for pointing out the obvious.  Are you an atheist or not? 

You clearly seem confused. 

Please Stephen, what the heck are you? Well apart from being a liar and a hypocrite - and dare I say it - a FRAUD?  

Can you please tell the forum whether you are an atheist, not an atheist, not a believer, a theist, or a liar or a fraud? Or perhaps you really are just confused? 
Stephen
Stephen
Correct. As the link explains: 

I am not an atheist in the sense that I believe that more than one -  so called -god was  worshipped at any given time by the ancients and Christians do not. 

So I would say that actually makes me a theisthttps://www.debateart.com/forum/topics/927/post-links/41322

Correct. As the link explains:
In the sense that I do believe that these  LORDS existed. 

Correct.
As the link explains:
" I am not a believer but I believe I have better explanations for most of the ambiguous, enigmatic half stories that make up the NT scripture than those that claim to be faithful followers of The Christ and the scriptures".  

I am not sure how someone such as yourself would describe  me.https://www.debateart.com/forum/topics/3236/post-links/136488

Correct. As the link clearly explains my position:

Brother D Thomas said "  As you being an Atheist",

I replied:

[A]    " I happen to believe these scriptures and believe all these biblical characters existed. I look at them in an historical sense and don't have a 'religious' bone in my body. I believe these scriptures are trying to tell us something , I also believe they are also hiding something. I believe there is a truer story below the surface of these scriptures that,  for whatever reason simply couldn't be told openly at the time. For example, from my own research and understanding, I have good reason to believe the Baptist and Jesus were half brothers and serious rivals. I believe Jesus had a hand in the baptists death".

I do marvel at times about you theists. https://www.debateart.com/forum/topics/3564/post-links/152455

Correct: 
And I do still marvel at theists. And as the link clearly explains my position why:

"I do marvel at times about you theists.   You appear to feel that you are in the position where you can tell the  atheist to prove for you that there is or isn't a god. And  that an atheist has to prove for you the bible to be correct or incorrect forgetting all the time that it is YOU the theist and the bible that is  making all the claims.

You and your flock are claiming the bible is truth.  "What is truth" ? asked Pilate

"The myth of Christ has served us well" . said  Pope Leo X

Theists  write and speak as if they existed or still exist. It is up to the atheist them,  should he wish to , to challenge what it is that these sycophantic fawning theist actually believe in . https://www.debateart.com/forum/topics/4023/post-links/168480

Correct again. As the link explains;

"It is my contention that these subjects should be discussed weather or not one believes "gods" existed or not. The point you are missing is that millions of people over millions of years have worshiped these beings in one form or another and millions simply do not believe as such but it doesn't stop them discussing these subjects.  Theists  write and speak as if they existed or still exist. It is up to the atheist then,  should he wish to , to challenge what it is that these sycophantic fawning theist actually believe in" .

Correct again: as the link explains:

"Don't think for a second that I hold the same religious beliefs as the Brother, because you wouldn't be more wrong. I have no religious beliefs. The Brother just happens to believe what the bible ACTUALLY says without room for misinterpretation or misunderstanding. He is honest about his god and scriptures yet he is forever being mocked for his honesty and how he presents the scripture. At least he doesn't BARE FACE LIE about what the scripture actually states".

The atheist isn't making the claims., what the atheist/me does is question the claims made by Christians  and you have either  to explain them ( not to be confused with explain them AWAY)  with logical fact or you simply ignore me and go away,   that is your responsibility and you owe it to your faith.  I don't have to explain a damn thing, at all. https://www.debateart.com/forum/topics/4199/post-links/173452

Correct. The link explains my position and I stand by that statement. And it is something I am sure you believe too. 

But I am not in the slightest a religious person, which helps. https://www.debateart.com/forum/topics/4216/post-links/175790

Correct again: the link explains my position perfectly:

RationalMadman wrote:  "I know it a lot but not entirely, don't want to waste my life on a fictional tale".

And I replied:

"I can't say I blame you. It is a long slog (years in fact) and it will engulf you if you let it because it has so many strands and stories withing stories. I'm lucky,  I happen to love the subject and wallow in it. But I am not in the slightest a religious person, which helps. 
Mind how you go".

Correct:  As the link explains:

Tradesecret wrote:  "you continue to live in a la la fantasy world where you think your interpretation is the ONLY one possible2. 

I replied;
"No, that will be YOU CHRISTIANS that has done exactly that for over 2,000 years. I can always change my ideas and opinions on the scriptures.  I am the atheist not you".  And I am sure that you can agree with that to, Dimtim.

I don't know how many times will  take for you to understand my position of the scriptures, Dimtim , so I will simply refer you to [A] above AGAIN!

Can you please tell the forum whether you are an atheist, not an atheist, not a believer, a theist, or a liar or a fraud? Or perhaps you really are just confused? 

Please  read -  and take in -  all of the  above. I think that you will find that you agree with most of what I have said if your  anti everything religion isn't fake?

So. Off you trot, princess.

Timid8967
Timid8967
-->
@Stephen
The contradictions prove you are false. Just like the half truths in the bible.  One rule for all.  Let's have some consistency, please. 

That is pretty clear.   

so you admit it is correct you are not an atheist but you are an atheist.  You say it is correct that you are a theist and that it is correct that theists INCLUDING YOU 

are "sycophantic fawning theists".?

Why is it that you claim to be a theist on one hand and think that theist are imbeciles? You are the theist. You cannot exclude yourself from your own condemnation towards them. 

Fraud! to believe in any gods - is nonsense.  Just coz you think the christian god or the jewish god is false - does not stop you from being a fraud.  
Stephen
Stephen
-->
@Timid8967
The contradictions prove you are false. Just like the half truths in the bible.  One rule for all.  Let's have some consistency, please.

I am the atheist not you.  [A]    " I happen to believe these scriptures and believe all these biblical characters existed. I look at them in an historical sense and don't have a 'religious' bone in my body. I believe these scriptures are trying to tell us something , I also believe they are also hiding something. I believe there is a truer story below the surface of these scriptures that,  for whatever reason simply couldn't be told openly at the time. For example, from my own research and understanding, I have good reason to believe the Baptist and Jesus were half brothers and serious rivals. I believe Jesus had a hand in the baptists death". .https://www.debateart.com/forum/topics/3236/post-links/136488

That is pretty clear.   
Good.
And thank you again for highlighting all of those links to my threads that scrutinise and question the unreliable ambiguous half stories that make up the scriptures. Of which I am sure you approve.

Timid8967
Timid8967
-->
@Stephen
I will be happy to highlight all of your fraudulent posts.  You are a theist and therefore nothing but a superstitious member of this forum. 

You give the impression in your posts that we are on the same page - yet, you knew all along what a lie that was.  

Whatever god or gods you believe in - they are still figments in your little mind. You are a joke and a very confused person. And just so everyone can continue to see how confused you are let me once again highlight your contradictory and confusing statements:   

• So I would say that actually makes me a theist.https://www.debateart.com/forum/topics/927/post-links/41322
  • I am not a believer  https://www.debateart.com/forum/topics/1985/post-links/86718
  • I am not sure how someone such as yourself would describe  me.https://www.debateart.com/forum/topics/3236/post-links/136488
  • I do marvel at times about you theists. https://www.debateart.com/forum/topics/3564/post-links/152455
  • Theists  write and speak as if they existed or still exist. It is up to the atheist then,  should he wish to , to challenge what it is that these sycophantic fawning theist actually believe in . https://www.debateart.com/forum/topics/4023/post-links/168480
  • I have no religious beliefs. https://www.debateart.com/forum/topics/4120/post-links/170929
  • The atheist isn't making the claims., what the atheist/me does is question the claims made by Christians  and you have either  to explain them ( not to be confused with explain them AWAY)  with logical fact or you simply ignore me and go away,   that is your responsibility and you owe it to your faith.  I don't have to explain a damn thing, at all. https://www.debateart.com/forum/topics/4199/post-links/173452
  • But I am not in the slightest a religious person, which helps. https://www.debateart.com/forum/topics/4216/post-links/175790
  • I am the atheist not you. https://www.debateart.com/forum/topics/5246/post-links/229552

• Stephen
    Stephen
    -->
    @Timid8967
    You give the impression in your posts that we are on the same page

Well. Like I have already explained over and over to the cretinous such as yourself, those questions and or critiques in those links to threads of mine and that you have so kindly highlighted for me, are there for anyone to challenge should they have mind to do so..

Whatever god or [lords] you believe in - they are still figments in your little mind.

Lords!!  " What ever" lords, I believe the ancients worshipped. And your opinion of me doesn't count for jack!

I am the atheist not you.  [A]    " I happen to believe these scriptures and believe all these biblical characters existed. I look at them in an historical sense and don't have a 'religious' bone in my body. I believe these scriptures are trying to tell us something , I also believe they are also hiding something. I believe there is a truer story below the surface of these scriptures that,  for whatever reason simply couldn't be told openly at the time. For example, from my own research and understanding, I have good reason to believe the Baptist and Jesus were half brothers and serious rivals. I believe Jesus had a hand in the baptists death". .https://www.debateart.com/forum/topics/3236/post-links/136488

That is pretty clear.   
    Good.

EtrnlVw
    EtrnlVw
    -->
    @Timid8967
    Fraud! to believe in any gods - is nonsense.

I see atheists make this statement a lot, but they never give a convincing reason why so, well other than they believe God is imaginary and or religious thought is stupid. And while that's their opinion there isn't any real objective truth or rationale behind it. Because, you do realize that Theists find atheists and materialists beliefs nonsense right? Well I could actually give you some real reasons to think it is stupid to hold such ridiculous beliefs.

Without touching on religion, could you give me a small list of reasons why you think believing in a Creator is nonsense? the reason I ask that you not touch on religion is because not everyone accepts the same dogma as it's also irrelevant to whether God exists or not, and this will force you to evaluate the core reason people think God exists. I also am curious about your own reasoning to make such an outspoken claim, with such a claim you must have some solid logic behind it. 

ludofl3x
    ludofl3x
    -->
    @EtrnlVw
    Without touching on religion, could you give me a small list of reasons why you think believing in a Creator is nonsense?
    Because there's no evidence to support any creator, is that enough reason not to believe it?
    EtrnlVw
    EtrnlVw
    -->
    @ludofl3x
    Because there's no evidence to support any creator, is that enough reason not to believe it?

That's your interpretation but it's simply not true. As we've discussed before, atheists lack of knowledge of how evidence is defined or what evidence consists of is the first problem. The indication that the universe is a product of intelligence is unavoidable, rendering materialism lacking the proper evidence to support it. Atheism is not a default position or some worldview that has evidence to support it, since there's no evidence to support the claim that God does not exist materialism is simply an option not a fact. It is an interpretation, and being so I find it to be a weak one at that.

We've had these discussions though, in depth. You basically disregard our conversations and start back at zero ("there's no evidence"), it's like talking to a kid. I'm not interested in you disregarding my insights, that's why I'm asking Timid. Perhaps he has some decent evaluations or convincing answers. Like you, I may have to teach him what evidence means, hopefully that won't happen.
    To hold the position that the universe exists without a Creator, is to accept that intelligent processes occur all on their own and inanimate forces can produce productions of awareness, without thought or mind. You need to support those assertions, not accept them and then turn around and claim there's no evidence to show that they are. Then you expect us to do all the work while you sit back and do nothing. 

ludofl3x
    ludofl3x
    -->
    @EtrnlVw
    Sorry, didn't realize this was a closed subject. GIven this:

The indication that the universe is a product of intelligence is unavoidable,
    It should be rather easy to provide evidence, no? Not "well look at it!" either, that's not evidence. 

To hold the position that the universe exists without a Creator, is to accept that intelligent processes occur all on their own and inanimate forces can produce productions of awareness, without thought or mind. You need to support those assertions, not accept them and then turn around and claim there's no evidence to show that they are. Then you expect us to do all the work while you sit back and do nothing. 

I hold the position that there's no evidence of a creator, not that the universe exists without one. Just that there's no evidence in that direction. I don't accept that processes are inherently intelligent, and I make no claims that inanimate forces can product productions of awareness (???). I've made no assertions at all. You have to do the work because you're claiming something exists without evidence to back it up, I'm sorry, that's just how it works. You say "there's a dinosaur in my yard," I say "Show me some evidence," you say "ME SAYING IT IS THE EVIDENCE." 
    EtrnlVw
    EtrnlVw
    -->
    @ludofl3x
    @Timid8967
    There's two claims being made not one. Only one of those claims correlates with the "evidence". You have our universe and the products thereof and then you have interpretations as to why our universe exists and why processes occur. Materialism and atheism are just one of those options whether they are believed to be legit options or not, it's not a default position. Those interpretations as to why the universe exists may be weak or strong and still that's up to the holder to believe and support. The reasoning behind such opinions is what makes them a strong or weak options.

When you have processes that occur that correlate with intelligence or thought, meaning by what they produce and the results thereof, then there is sufficient reasoning and logic to correlate those products with intelligence. That's how evidence works. Evidence is defined as...

"the available body of facts or information indicating whether a belief or proposition is true or valid."
    "an outward sign : INDICATION"
    "something that furnishes proof : TESTIMONY"
    "that which tends to prove or disprove something; ground for belief; proof."
    "something that makes plain or clear; an indication or sign:"

EtrnlVw
    EtrnlVw
    -->
    @ludofl3x
    I hold the position that there's no evidence of a creator, not that the universe exists without one.

Lol

I don't accept that processes are inherently intelligent

That's not my problem, then you have to account for why they produce intelligence, act intelligent and are capable of producing things as if they had know-how. 

and I make no claims that inanimate forces can product productions of awareness 

You don't have to make that claim, they do

You have to do the work 

Lol, riiiggght. Like I said, while you sit back and do nothing to support your assertions. 

I'm sorry, that's just how it works. You say "there's a dinosaur in my yard,"

Perhaps another word you don't understand, look up correlation....indication. (Evidence).
    FLRW
    FLRW
    Microbial intelligence (known as bacterial intelligence) is the intelligence shown by microorganisms. The concept encompasses complex adaptive behavior shown by single cells, and altruistic or cooperative behavior in populations of like or unlike cells mediated by chemical signalling that induces physiological or behavioral changes in cells and influences colony structures.
    Complex cells, like protozoa or algae, show remarkable abilities to organize themselves in changing circumstances. Shell-building by amoebae reveals complex discrimination and manipulative skills that are ordinarily thought to occur only in multicellular organisms.
    Even bacteria can display more behavior as a population. These behaviors occur in single species populations, or mixed species populations. Examples are colonies or swarms of myxobacteriaquorum sensing, and biofilms.
    It has been suggested that a bacterial colony loosely mimics a biological neural network. The bacteria can take inputs in form of chemical signals, process them and then produce output chemicals to signal other bacteria in the colony.
    Bacteria communication and self-organization in the context of network theory has been investigated by Eshel Ben-Jacob research group at Tel Aviv University which developed a fractal model of bacterial colony and identified linguistic and social patterns in colony lifecycle.
     From the above, you can see that single cells over billions of years could form humans (after small animals and eventually apes were formed)
    ludofl3x
    ludofl3x
    -->
    @EtrnlVw
    Materialism and atheism are just one of those options whether they are believed to be legit options or not, it's not a default position. 
    You keep saying this as if that makes it so. Let me help. 

Do we have material in the universe, that we can touch and measure and test and experiment with? The answer of course is clearly yes. There is literally no cogent argument against this. Anything else adds something to the mix, and since there's no dispute about the existence of matter, it's the added something that requires demonstration. You're adding quite a bit and not doing the work required to validate it. It's why your arguments are so poor. 

Do you believe in Santa Claus? This goes to your atheism question. 

Correlation =/= causation, partner. 
    FLRW
    FLRW
    A GQ cover story in 2012 noted that Spanish actor Javier Bardem is an atheist. He is quoted as saying, "I've always said I don't believe in God; I believe in Al Pacino." THOMAS SAMSON/AFP/Getty Images
    English actress Keira Knightley has joked that she wishes she were Catholic. "If only I wasn't an atheist; I could get away with anything," she said in 2012. "You'd just ask for forgiveness, and then you'd be forgiven." Frederic Nebinger/Getty Images
    Actor Paul Giamatti calls himself an atheist. In a 2011 interview, he said, "My wife is Jewish, and I'm fine with my son being raised as a Jew. ... I will talk to my son about my atheism when the time is right." Dominique Charriau/WireImage via Getty Images
    Sir Ian McKellen, best known for his roles as Gandalf in the "Lord of the Rings" trilogy and Magneto in the "X-Men" films, has listed atheism among the causes he cares most about. But he says since coming out as gay in 1988, he has been reluctant to lobby on issues beyond his most urgent concern: "legal and social equality for gay people worldwide." Daniel Berehulak/Getty Images
    Legendary CBS News commentator Andy Rooney, who died in 2011 at age 92, was outspoken about religion. "I am an atheist," Rooney said at Tufts University in 2004. "I don't understand religion at all. I'm sure I'll offend a lot of people by saying this, but I think it's all nonsense." CBS/Landov
    British actress Emma Thompson said in a 2008 interview, "I'm an atheist; I suppose you can call me a sort of libertarian anarchist. I regard religion with fear and suspicion. It's not enough to say that I don't believe in God. I actually regard the system as distressing: I am offended by some of the things said in the Bible and the Quran, and I refute them." Pascal Le Segretain/Getty Images
    Singer-songwriter Billy Joel reiterated his stance in a 2010 interview with radio host Howard Stern. Asked whether he believed in God, Joel replied, "No. I'm an atheist." His song "Only the Good Die Young" includes the line "I'd rather laugh with the sinners than cry with the saints." Mark Metcalfe/Getty Images
    Composer and musician Brian Eno refers to himself as an "evangelical atheist." In 2007, he told the BBC, "What religion says to you, essentially, is that you're not in control. Now that's a very liberating idea. It's quite a frightening idea as well, in some ways." Sergio Dionisio/Getty Images
    Penn Jillette, half of the Emmy Award-winning magic duo Penn & Teller, wrote the book "God, No! Signs You May Already Be an Atheist and Other Magical Tales." In it, he said, "If every trace of any single religion were wiped out and nothing were passed on, it would never be created exactly that way again. There might be some other nonsense in its place, but not that exact nonsense. If all of science were wiped out, it would still be true, and someone would find a way to figure it all out again." Lloyd Bishop/NBC/Getty Images
    Academy Award-winning director James Cameron, known for films such as "Titanic" and "Avatar," calls himself a "converted agnostic." In "The Futurist," a biography by Rebecca Keegan, he says, "I've sworn off agnosticism, which I now call cowardly atheism." Atheists believe there is no God, while agnostics say it's impossible to prove or disprove God's existence. Ed Jones/AFP/Getty Images
    British actor Hugh Laurie, known for his lead role on the medical drama "House," confirmed his atheism in a 2007 interview with The Sunday Telegraph. "I don't believe in God," he said, "but I have this idea that if there were a God, or destiny of some kind looking down on us, that if he saw you taking anything for granted, he'd take it away." JEFF PACHOUD/AFP/Getty Images
    Actress Jodie Foster told Entertainment Weekly in 2007 that she was an atheist. She added, "But I absolutely love religions and the rituals. Even though I don't believe in God, we celebrate pretty much every religion in our family with the kids." Paul Drinkwater/NBCUniversal via Getty Images
    Seth MacFarlane, creator of the animated series "Family Guy," has become vocal about his atheism. Asked about it in a 2009 interview with Esquire, he said, "It's like the civil-rights movement. There have to be people who are vocal about the advancement of knowledge over faith." Michael Buckner/Getty Images for SXSW
    Ricky Gervais, creator of the British series "The Office," wrote about his religious journey in an essay published in 2010 by the Wall Street Journal. "Wow. No God. If mum had lied to me about God, had she also lied to me about Santa? Yes, of course, but who cares? The gifts kept coming," he said. "And so did the gifts of my new found atheism. The gifts of truth, science, nature. The real beauty of this world." Paul Drinkwater/NBC via Getty Images
    Comedian Kathy Griffin, a self-described "militant atheist," made her position clear with a controversial Emmy Award acceptance speech in 2007. "A lot of people come up here and they thank Jesus for this award," she said. "I want you to know that no one had less to do with this award than Jesus. He didn't help me a bit. ... So all I can say is, suck it, Jesus. This award is my god now." Paul Drinkwater/NBCU Photo Bank via Getty Images
    British evolutionary biologist and prominent atheist Richard Dawkins' views about religion were summed up in his bestselling book "The God Delusion." He wrote, "We are all atheists about most of the gods that humanity has ever believed in. Some of us just go one god further." His coming-out campaign suggests atheists should be proud rather than apologetic. KAI FOERSTERLING/EPA/Landov
    Christopher Hitchens, a British author and antitheist who died in 2011 at age 62, viewed religion as "the main source of hatred in the world." In his book "God is Not Great," Hitchens wrote, "There are days when I miss my old convictions as if they were an amputated limb. But in general I feel better, and no less radical, and you will feel better too, I guarantee, once you leave hold of the doctrinaire and allow your chainless mind to do its own thinking." PETER FOLEY/EPA/Landov
    Neuroscientist and author Sam Harris is a well-known atheist and a vocal critic of religion. In "The End of Faith," he wrote, "We will see that the greatest problem confronting civilization is not merely religious extremism: rather, it is the larger set of cultural and intellectual accommodations we have made to faith itself." Charles Ommanney/Getty Images
    Philosopher Daniel Dennett is referred to as one of the "Four Horsemen of New Atheism," along with Richard Dawkins, Christopher Hitchens and Sam Harris. In his book "Breaking the Spell," Dennett said, "You don't get to advertise all the good that your religion does without first scrupulously subtracting all the harm it does and considering seriously the question of whether some other religion, or no religion at all, does better." BAS CZERWINSKI/EPA/Landov
    British physicist Peter Higgs is among those credited with the theory behind the Higgs boson, a subatomic particle long thought to be a fundamental building block of the universe. In an interview with the BBC, he expressed his discomfort with people calling it the "God particle." He said, "First of all, I'm an atheist. The second thing is I know that name (started as) a kind of joke and not a very good one. ... It's so misleading." FABRICE COFFRINI/AFP/Getty Images
    In his book "The Grand Design," theoretical physicist Stephen Hawking asserts that God did not create the universe. "Spontaneous creation is the reason why there is something rather than nothing, why the universe exists, why we exist," he wrote. "It is not necessary to invoke God to light the blue touch paper and set the universe going." Cancan Chu/Getty Images
    Greg Epstein is the humanist chaplain at Harvard University and the author of the New York Times bestseller "Good Without God." In the introduction, he wrote, "This is not a book about whether one can be good without God, because that question does not need to be answered -- it needs to be rejected outright. To suggest that one can't be good without belief in God is not just an opinion, a mere curious musing -- it is a prejudice." harvardhumanist.org
    Kurt Vonnegut, author of "Slaughterhouse Five" and "Cat's Cradle," rejected supernatural beliefs. In his autobiographical book, "Palm Sunday," he examines how he was affected by studying anthropology. "It confirmed my atheism, which was the religion of my fathers anyway," he said. Vonnegut died at age 84 in 2007. Brad Barket/Getty Images
    Douglas Adams, who wrote "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy," was a committed atheist. In his book "The Salmon of Doubt," he satirically imagined a puddle thinking, "This is an interesting world I find myself in -- an interesting hole I find myself in -- fits me rather neatly, doesn't it? In fact it fits me staggeringly well, must have been made to have me in it!" Adams died in 2001. He was 49. Dan Callister/Online USA/Getty Images
    Science-fiction writer Isaac Asimov wrote in his autobiography, "If I were not an atheist, I would believe in a God who would choose to save people on the basis of the totality of their lives and not the pattern of their words. I think he would prefer an honest and righteous atheist to a TV preacher whose every word is God, God, God, and whose every deed is foul, foul, foul." He died in 1992 at age 72. Library of Congress
    Madalyn Murray O'Hair, who was murdered in 1995 at age 76, was an atheist activist. She founded the American Atheists and served as the organization's president from 1963 to 1986. She is perhaps best known for her role in the 1963 Supreme Court ruling that ended Bible reading in public schools. Life magazine once called her "the most hated woman in America." Fort Worth Star-Telegram/MCT/Landov
    Ayn Rand, author of "The Fountainhead" and "Atlas Shrugged," was an atheist and an opponent of religion. In her book "The Voice of Reason," she criticized President Ronald Reagan and his administration for trying "to take us back to the Middle Ages, via the unconstitutional union of religion and politics." She died in 1982 at age 77. Leonard Mccombe//Time Life Pictures/Getty Images
    Also Richard Branson is an atheist.

Sum1hugme
    Debates: 37
    Sum1hugme
    -->
    @Timid8967
    Yes

And what was this background?

Christian

Every argument has some serious flaws.

Journey

Family.

Familial.
    Timid8967
    Timid8967
    -->
    @Stephen
    Well. Like I have already explained over and over to the cretinous such as yourself, those questions and or critiques in those links to threads of mine and that you have so kindly highlighted for me, are there for anyone to challenge should they have mind to do so..
    Well I am going to keep highlighting them - because they do reveal your fraudulent  words.  And they will continue to reveal to everyone else exactly the sort of fraud you are. 

• So I would say that actually makes me a theist.https://www.debateart.com/forum/topics/927/post-links/41322
  • I am not a believer  https://www.debateart.com/forum/topics/1985/post-links/86718
  • I am not sure how someone such as yourself would describe  me.https://www.debateart.com/forum/topics/3236/post-links/136488
  • I do marvel at times about you theists. https://www.debateart.com/forum/topics/3564/post-links/152455
  • Theists  write and speak as if they existed or still exist. It is up to the atheist then,  should he wish to , to challenge what it is that these sycophantic fawning theist actually believe in . https://www.debateart.com/forum/topics/4023/post-links/168480
  • I have no religious beliefs. https://www.debateart.com/forum/topics/4120/post-links/170929
  • The atheist isn't making the claims., what the atheist/me does is question the claims made by Christians  and you have either  to explain them ( not to be confused with explain them AWAY)  with logical fact or you simply ignore me and go away,   that is your responsibility and you owe it to your faith.  I don't have to explain a damn thing, at all. https://www.debateart.com/forum/topics/4199/post-links/173452
  • But I am not in the slightest a religious person, which helps. https://www.debateart.com/forum/topics/4216/post-links/175790
  • I am the atheist not you. https://www.debateart.com/forum/topics/5246/post-links/229552

• Double_R
    Debates: 3
    Double_R
    -->
    @Timid8967
    For me it was more of an epiphany. I always believed god was all loving, all powerful, and also that we would go to hell if we didn’t believe. It wasn’t till about 30 that I realized how self contradictory those 3 qualities were, and atheism followed very shortly after.

What I realize is that this fear of hell I had instilled in me stopped me from applying the same critical thinking skills I used towards everything else to my religious viewpoints. As soon as I realized how silly the concept of hell really was it was like the shackles had been broken. I could finally see straight.