Atheist's come forth

Author: Timid8967

Total: 110
Timid8967
Debates: 0
Timid8967
-->
@EtrnlVw
Fraud! to believe in any gods - is nonsense.

I see atheists make this statement a lot, but they never give a convincing reason why so, well other than they believe God is imaginary and or religious thought is stupid. And while that's their opinion there isn't any real objective truth or rationale behind it. Because, you do realize that Theists find atheists and materialists beliefs nonsense right? Well I could actually give you some real reasons to think it is stupid to hold such ridiculous beliefs.

Without touching on religion, could you give me a small list of reasons why you think believing in a Creator is nonsense? the reason I ask that you not touch on religion is because not everyone accepts the same dogma as it's also irrelevant to whether God exists or not, and this will force you to evaluate the core reason people think God exists. I also am curious about your own reasoning to make such an outspoken claim, with such a claim you must have some solid logic behind it. 
To believe in what you cannot see or touch is not to difficult. We cannot see wind or air, yet we know it is there. We can not see the smells about us - but we know it is real because our senses pick it up.   This is one thing. Yet there is a significant difference between knowing something is invisible and there and with something we "believe" is invisible and "there" when there is nothing that enlightens our senses to their existence.  god is for the most part - a philosophical idea. this is why it gets discussed so much and why no one ever really can define god. god is elusive in that sense. 

you talk about god or a creator.  well that is fine.  yet different religious positions although holding that god is the creator do not even agree on this - save and except somehow in the distant past - (and let us be clear - only religions from an arabian background think this - other religions have much more divergent positions - ) it was created  by god.  Created even in this sense is not design.  yes - fundamentalist christians say god made and designed everything. Yet most other christians suggest God made - the means to make the universe - but left the means to determine how the design would turn out. in some cases the difference between the evolutionist and the theistic evolutionist is no different except for the original cause.  god or something else. 

i do find it ironic that animals do not seem to worship god or have any indication of a worship or religious system.  so i do wonder about whether religion is a primitive notion or simply a primitive human  phenomenon.  Hence why link it with superstition. it requires intelligent thought - hence philosophical. animals do not concern themselves with where they come from or where they will go. They don't have the same set of emotional responses that humans have - given their trajectory of human evolution. 

yet once the brain starts to philosophise about anything and wants to know how the world works it is going to start speculating. This is life. yet, entire portions of humanity - get things wrong. and this - like the earth being the center of the world is an example.  humans have got it wrong. and scientists have proven this. 

the basic fact that god cannot be proved or disproved is an essential aspect of this - it is a purely philosophical concept - which has various advocates around the world and throughout history. yet, fundamentally flawed at every junction. 

Hence to believe to believe in a creator as a person is to believe in a superstition. It will lead inevitably to nonsense in progress.  It will not be following the truth. It will in fact be allowing our emotions and fear to determine how humanity will progress in this universe both physically and intellectually. Hope that helps. 
Timid8967
Timid8967
-->
@Double_R
Why is Hell silly? And just because I like consistency, have you heard of the conditional immortality or soul sleep or annihilation? 

fauxlaw
Debates: 77
fauxlaw
-->
@TheUnderdog
I don't think reverence is a necessary attitude directed only to God, although I am obviously very religious. I feel reverence standing in a forest, watching a mountain stream, or the ocean's roar against rocks... The Earth, herself, commands reverence.
EtrnlVw
EtrnlVw
-->
@Timid8967
To believe in what you cannot see or touch is not to difficult. We cannot see wind or air, yet we know it is there. We can not see the smells about us - but we know it is real because our senses pick it up.   This is one thing. Yet there is a significant difference between knowing something is invisible and there and with something we "believe" is invisible and "there" when there is nothing that enlightens our senses to their existence.  god is for the most part - a philosophical idea. this is why it gets discussed so much and why no one ever really can define god. god is elusive in that sense.

You have one part here right, only disregard the other part. You're right that God eludes the physical senses because of the nature of God, as well as the nature of spirituality. But God does not evade the conscious nature of man, hence the overwhelming study of transcendental experience....or you may refer to it as spiritual experience. To disregard that is to disregard a massive portion of human experience. I have a relevant topic that you may find interesting to think about.
To put it bluntly, God is not just a philosophical idea, but a Reality any soul can learn and experience from through many channels of awareness. Albeit, these channels of awareness may be distinct from the physical experience.

you talk about god or a creator.  well that is fine.  yet different religious positions although holding that god is the creator do not even agree on this - save and except somehow in the distant past - (and let us be clear - only religions from an arabian background think this - other religions have much more divergent positions - ) it was created  by god.  Created even in this sense is not design.  yes - fundamentalist christians say god made and designed everything. Yet most other christians suggest God made - the means to make the universe - but left the means to determine how the design would turn out. in some cases the difference between the evolutionist and the theistic evolutionist is no different except for the original cause.  god or something else.

I don't invoke the design hypothesis, rather function. Design typically gets one to focus on perfection while the other the focus is more on the products within the universe. If we focus on perfection we lose sight of the obvious, that the universe is created through a succession of intelligent processes. Yes, I'm a proponent of Theistic evolution as a process that is specifically tailored to creationism. I don't know why evolution as a process has been touted so long as a materialistic event but I'd like to bring awareness to the reality that for processes to occur, there must fist be awareness, thought or intelligence (mind). Why? because it's a common sense observation.
There is no need for perfection here, because that suggests there could be absolutely no flaws, death or change and exempt from decay of substance. And that would contradict the reason for a creating a physical universe to begin with. The physical experience was meant to be temporal, subject to change and adjustments and a universe that was meant to appear and disappear. The only perfection that exists, or better put, a deathless reality is only relevant to consciousness or soul....the state of existence that is natural to God.

i do find it ironic that animals do not seem to worship god or have any indication of a worship or religious system.  so i do wonder about whether religion is a primitive notion or simply a primitive human  phenomenon.  Hence why link it with superstition. it requires intelligent thought - hence philosophical. animals do not concern themselves with where they come from or where they will go. They don't have the same set of emotional responses that humans have - given their trajectory of human evolution.

Humans possess the highest state of awareness, we can articulate and express ourselves in more ways than animals. You're right, expression of thought and mind would be inherent to us rather than animals. I fail to see a real objection here, it doesn't work in your favor. Animals are subject to their anatomy, they have not the ability to show you what they think and feel in an intellectual or philosophical way, so what? They were created to experience this world in a primitive way. Humans have a higher range of conscious reception, a higher range of communication, a higher range of awareness and so we have a wider range of what we can experience and articulate.

yet once the brain starts to philosophise about anything and wants to know how the world works it is going to start speculating. This is life. yet, entire portions of humanity - get things wrong. and this - like the earth being the center of the world is an example.  humans have got it wrong. and scientists have proven this.

Science is a neutral study, it doesn't belong to atheists or materialists. We don't need speculation for spirituality, it is acknowledged as observation not assumption. Before we start introducing claims, just make sure they are claims that I have made here.

the basic fact that god cannot be proved or disproved is an essential aspect of this - it is a purely philosophical concept - which has various advocates around the world and throughout history. yet, fundamentally flawed at every junction.

The only thing useful in terms of showing that God cannot be disproved is for you to see that you have accepted a belief that is not a fact, even fictional. Creation is not a flawed proposition in any way period, saying it doesn't make it so and actually is in alignment with the evidence. You have not provided any rationale for me to consider that it is. 

Hence to believe to believe in a creator as a person is to believe in a superstition. It will lead inevitably to nonsense in progress. 

Which is? what nonsense have I proposed?

It will not be following the truth. It will in fact be allowing our emotions and fear to determine how humanity will progress in this universe both physically and intellectually. Hope that helps.

Fear has no place in determining the origins of our existence, this is a philosophical and intellectual exercise to determine what is true and most accurate about our world. Someone told you that, perhaps you believe it. But I'm here to tell you this has nothing to do with what I feel or want. Beyond that, as I pointed out, human experience is rife full of observation from a spiritual standpoint. Remember, that when you avoid that factor you avoid the truth as it exists in our world.

Timid8967
Timid8967
-->
@EtrnlVw
Thanks for that. I will spend some time reading and get back to you.  

EtrnlVw
EtrnlVw
-->
@Timid8967
Okay
Stephen
Stephen
-->
@Timid8967
Correct. As the link explains: 

I am not an atheist in the sense that I believe that more than one -  so called -god was  worshipped at any given time by the ancients and Christians do not. 

So I would say that actually makes me a theisthttps://www.debateart.com/forum/topics/927/post-links/41322

Correct. As the link explains:
In the sense that I do believe that these  LORDS existed. 

Correct.
As the link explains:
" I am not a believer but I believe I have better explanations for most of the ambiguous, enigmatic half stories that make up the NT scripture than those that claim to be faithful followers of The Christ and the scriptures".  

I am not sure how someone such as yourself would describe  me.https://www.debateart.com/forum/topics/3236/post-links/136488

Correct. As the link clearly explains my position:

Brother D Thomas said "  As you being an Atheist",

I replied:

[A]    " I happen to believe these scriptures and believe all these biblical characters existed. I look at them in an historical sense and don't have a 'religious' bone in my body. I believe these scriptures are trying to tell us something , I also believe they are also hiding something. I believe there is a truer story below the surface of these scriptures that,  for whatever reason simply couldn't be told openly at the time. For example, from my own research and understanding, I have good reason to believe the Baptist and Jesus were half brothers and serious rivals. I believe Jesus had a hand in the baptists death".

I do marvel at times about you theists. https://www.debateart.com/forum/topics/3564/post-links/152455

Correct: 
And I do still marvel at theists. And as the link clearly explains my position why:

"I do marvel at times about you theists.   You appear to feel that you are in the position where you can tell the  atheist to prove for you that there is or isn't a god. And  that an atheist has to prove for you the bible to be correct or incorrect forgetting all the time that it is YOU the theist and the bible that is  making all the claims.

You and your flock are claiming the bible is truth.  "What is truth" ? asked Pilate

"The myth of Christ has served us well" . said  Pope Leo X

Theists  write and speak as if they existed or still exist. It is up to the atheist them,  should he wish to , to challenge what it is that these sycophantic fawning theist actually believe in . https://www.debateart.com/forum/topics/4023/post-links/168480

Correct again. As the link explains;

"It is my contention that these subjects should be discussed weather or not one believes "gods" existed or not. The point you are missing is that millions of people over millions of years have worshiped these beings in one form or another and millions simply do not believe as such but it doesn't stop them discussing these subjects.  Theists  write and speak as if they existed or still exist. It is up to the atheist then,  should he wish to , to challenge what it is that these sycophantic fawning theist actually believe in" .

Correct again: as the link explains:

"Don't think for a second that I hold the same religious beliefs as the Brother, because you wouldn't be more wrong. I have no religious beliefs. The Brother just happens to believe what the bible ACTUALLY says without room for misinterpretation or misunderstanding. He is honest about his god and scriptures yet he is forever being mocked for his honesty and how he presents the scripture. At least he doesn't BARE FACE LIE about what the scripture actually states".

The atheist isn't making the claims., what the atheist/me does is question the claims made by Christians  and you have either  to explain them ( not to be confused with explain them AWAY)  with logical fact or you simply ignore me and go away,   that is your responsibility and you owe it to your faith.  I don't have to explain a damn thing, at all. https://www.debateart.com/forum/topics/4199/post-links/173452

Correct. The link explains my position and I stand by that statement. And it is something I am sure you believe too. 

But I am not in the slightest a religious person, which helps. https://www.debateart.com/forum/topics/4216/post-links/175790

Correct again: the link explains my position perfectly:

RationalMadman wrote:  "I know it a lot but not entirely, don't want to waste my life on a fictional tale".

And I replied:

"I can't say I blame you. It is a long slog (years in fact) and it will engulf you if you let it because it has so many strands and stories withing stories. I'm lucky,  I happen to love the subject and wallow in it. But I am not in the slightest a religious person, which helps. 
Mind how you go".

Correct:  As the link explains:

Tradesecret wrote:  "you continue to live in a la la fantasy world where you think your interpretation is the ONLY one possible2. 

I replied;
"No, that will be YOU CHRISTIANS that has done exactly that for over 2,000 years. I can always change my ideas and opinions on the scriptures.  I am the atheist not you".  And I am sure that you can agree with that to, Dimtim.

I don't know how many times will  take for you to understand my position of the scriptures, Dimtim , so I will simply refer you to [A] above AGAIN!

Can you please tell the forum whether you are an atheist, not an atheist, not a believer, a theist, or a liar or a fraud? Or perhaps you really are just confused? 

Please  read -  and take in -  all of the  above. I think that you will find that you agree with most of what I have said if your  anti everything religion isn't fake?

So. Off you trot, princess.

Timid8967
Timid8967
-->
@Stephen
Well. Like I have already explained over and over to the cretinous such as yourself, those questions and or critiques in those links to threads of mine and that you have so kindly highlighted for me, are there for anyone to challenge should they have mind to do so..
Well I am going to keep highlighting them - because they do reveal your fraudulent  words.  And they will continue to reveal to everyone else exactly the sort of fraud you are. 

• So I would say that actually makes me a theist.https://www.debateart.com/forum/topics/927/post-links/41322
  • I am not a believer  https://www.debateart.com/forum/topics/1985/post-links/86718
  • I am not sure how someone such as yourself would describe  me.https://www.debateart.com/forum/topics/3236/post-links/136488
  • I do marvel at times about you theists. https://www.debateart.com/forum/topics/3564/post-links/152455
  • Theists  write and speak as if they existed or still exist. It is up to the atheist then,  should he wish to , to challenge what it is that these sycophantic fawning theist actually believe in . https://www.debateart.com/forum/topics/4023/post-links/168480
  • I have no religious beliefs. https://www.debateart.com/forum/topics/4120/post-links/170929
  • The atheist isn't making the claims., what the atheist/me does is question the claims made by Christians  and you have either  to explain them ( not to be confused with explain them AWAY)  with logical fact or you simply ignore me and go away,   that is your responsibility and you owe it to your faith.  I don't have to explain a damn thing, at all. https://www.debateart.com/forum/topics/4199/post-links/173452
  • But I am not in the slightest a religious person, which helps. https://www.debateart.com/forum/topics/4216/post-links/175790
  • I am the atheist not you. https://www.debateart.com/forum/topics/5246/post-links/229552

• Stephen
    Stephen
    Well. Like I have already explained over and over to the cretinous such as yourself, those questions and or critiques in those links to threads of mine and that you have so kindly highlighted for me, are there for anyone to challenge should they have mind to do so..
    Well I am going to keep highlighting them -

Good. I appreciate it. Thank you. 

Stephen
    Stephen
    -->
    @Timid8967
    To believe in what you cannot see or touch is not to difficult. We cannot see wind or air, yet we know it is there. 

That's because we have more senses other than  the  two you mention.  And  touch is to feel hence we know there is wind. I have felt the wind on my face. I have seen birds fly and glide on the wind. But obviously you haven't. 

Double_R
    Debates: 3
    Double_R
    -->
    @Timid8967
    Why is Hell silly? And just because I like consistency, have you heard of the conditional immortality or soul sleep or annihilation? 
    Depends on your conception of hell. Mine was a literal place off eternal torment and torture. It's silly because here we have the almighty creator of everything who can do whatever he wants, and he decides he will create us (his beloved children) and then create a place where he will spend the rest of eternity torturing us for not living up to his subjective standards after having created us in such a way that he knew not all of us would. Imagine trying to explain that to someone whose never heard of this.
    Theweakeredge
    Debates: 33
    Theweakeredge
    -->
    @EtrnlVw
    Nope - Jesus literally says the only way to get to heaven is by believing in him and and asking for forgiveness and all that crap - you can scour your holy book for contradictions, but I think that would help me more than disagree with my point. Furthermore, I merely put on what got me to start in the road - not my current disposition - but - with that interpretation of the bible - it's not a bad objection - not good, but better than some. 

Timid8967
    Timid8967
    -->
    @Double_R
    Depends on your conception of hell. Mine was a literal place off eternal torment and torture. It's silly because here we have the almighty creator of everything who can do whatever he wants, and he decides he will create us (his beloved children) and then create a place where he will spend the rest of eternity torturing us for not living up to his subjective standards after having created us in such a way that he knew not all of us would. Imagine trying to explain that to someone whose never heard of this.

So are you saying it is silly depending upon my conception of hell?  I don't know what hell is.  I don't know if it is supposed to be literal or a metaphorical place.  I don't have enough knowledge of the bible to understand.  

It was my understanding though that Jewish thought did not believe in immortality.  I suspect Rosends can inform us - but even the book of Genesis indicates A & E needed to eat from the fruit of the tree of life to have immortal life. I suppose this presumes that they needed it to live immortal lives.  Greek thought, however seems to take the view that human souls are immortal.  So it seems to me that hellfire for eternity is not what the bible is talking about.  Especially if immortality is conditional.  

Of course to play the devil's advocate, surely god can choose his own rules to decide how his universe looks and works. I suppose he could have made us unaware of his plans - and yet there you have it.  Why would a god choose to reveal all these things - and want  us to believe he is good - and even give us knowledge to criticize him? It does not make sense to me.  Another nail in the coffin of theism. 

Timid8967
    Timid8967
    -->
    @EtrnlVw
    You have one part here right, only disregard the other part. You're right that God eludes the physical senses because of the nature of God, as well as the nature of spirituality. But God does not evade the conscious nature of man, hence the overwhelming study of transcendental experience....or you may refer to it as spiritual experience. To disregard that is to disregard a massive portion of human experience. I have a relevant topic that you may find interesting to think about.
    And where is this spiritual sense? That is an elusive concept. 

To put it bluntly, God is not just a philosophical idea, but a Reality any soul can learn and experience from through many channels of awareness. Albeit, these channels of awareness may be distinct from the physical experience.
    Prove it.  It seems to me the reason argue about gods existence and characteristics is theoretical and philosophical.  To say we can experience god through some other channel is difficult to conceive. Give an example. 

I don't invoke the design hypothesis, rather function. Design typically gets one to focus on perfection while the other the focus is more on the products within the universe. If we focus on perfection we lose sight of the obvious, that the universe is created through a succession of intelligent processes. Yes, I'm a proponent of Theistic evolution as a process that is specifically tailored to creationism. I don't know why evolution as a process has been touted so long as a materialistic event but I'd like to bring awareness to the reality that for processes to occur, there must fist be awareness, thought or intelligence (mind). Why? because it's a common sense observation.
    How is it common sense? Many theists reject evolution.  Common sense means it is universal. I don't understand your distinction between perfection and products.  

There is no need for perfection here, because that suggests there could be absolutely no flaws, death or change and exempt from decay of substance. And that would contradict the reason for a creating a physical universe to begin with. The physical experience was meant to be temporal, subject to change and adjustments and a universe that was meant to appear and disappear. The only perfection that exists, or better put, a deathless reality is only relevant to consciousness or soul....the state of existence that is natural to God.
    Surely that depends upon what you mean by perfection? What is your measure of perfection? Why can't death or flaws be part of that? 

Humans possess the highest state of awareness, we can articulate and express ourselves in more ways than animals. You're right, expression of thought and mind would be inherent to us rather than animals. I fail to see a real objection here, it doesn't work in your favor. Animals are subject to their anatomy, they have not the ability to show you what they think and feel in an intellectual or philosophical way, so what? They were created to experience this world in a primitive way. Humans have a higher range of conscious reception, a higher range of communication, a higher range of awareness and so we have a wider range of what we can experience and articulate.
    Again, I am not convinced that humanity has a higher state of awareness.  Yes, from our perspective we do, but that is completely andromorphiccentric. It may be that humanity is actually a lesser evolved creature - less secure - thus needing to create a world to make us feel secure and safe.  Animals have no need of this - because they are fundamentally more secure than us - and do not feel the same insecurities. Possibly because they have evolved past this.  

Science is a neutral study, it doesn't belong to atheists or materialists. We don't need speculation for spirituality, it is acknowledged as observation not assumption. Before we start introducing claims, just make sure they are claims that I have made here.
    science is science.  I worry more about how it hijacked by lefties and righties that by religious or atheists to their ends. Apart from that I really don't understand your point.  what do you mean about speculation and spirituality? Spirituality is entirely speculation. How does one observe spirituality? What is spirituality? 

The only thing useful in terms of showing that God cannot be disproved is for you to see that you have accepted a belief that is not a fact, even fictional. Creation is not a flawed proposition in any way period, saying it doesn't make it so and actually is in alignment with the evidence. You have not provided any rationale for me to consider that it is. 
    I don't understand what you are saying.  What belief have I accepted that is not a fact?  I have seen no evidence for the existence of god.  in fact the evidence against god is overwhelming. there is evil all of the world so this seems to be demonstrate that a god who is all powerful and all loving does not exist.  there are multiple religions which seems to indicate that there is not simply either one god or one god who can unite people who believe. each religion seems to have a deity whose people alone have the key to understanding.  people are born without limbs - if god was omnicient and all powerful - why does he let this happen? if god is none of these things but simply made the world - why? what purpose is there for a god to make a world and then disapear without leaving specific clues for people to understand with "common sense"? Sorry - the evidence against god is very strong. the evidence for god is weak. 

Which is? what nonsense have I proposed?
    to believe in the imaginary person of god without a purpose to do so - achieves nothing. Say for the sake of your argument you are correct. Say god did make the world using evolution. why? do you think god wants us to believe in him? why? what is it going to achieve? nothing.  you don't believe in the christian god. Im not sure what god you do believe in. Do you believe in heaven or hell? if not - then what is the purpose and how is it relevant to my life. Do you think atheists go to heaven or to hell? this is why i see it as nonsense. it is nonsense because there does not seem to be a point - not a valid one anyway. 

Fear has no place in determining the origins of our existence, this is a philosophical and intellectual exercise to determine what is true and most accurate about our world. Someone told you that, perhaps you believe it. But I'm here to tell you this has nothing to do with what I feel or want. Beyond that, as I pointed out, human experience is rife full of observation from a spiritual standpoint. Remember, that when you avoid that factor you avoid the truth as it exists in our world.
    if religion is not about fear - then what is it about? if god is going to love us - no matter what - then why does it matter whether we believe or not - or question his existence or not.  and how does that relate to truth? 

truth is what? I say the closest thing to reality - from my subjective point of view - or should it be from an objective point of view? Idk.  This has been an interesting discussion.  

Double_R
    Debates: 3
    Double_R
    -->
    @Timid8967
    So are you saying it is silly depending upon my conception of hell?
    No, you asked us what made us stop believing so I'm answering. Simple answer is I stopped believing when I realized how silly my beliefs were and in hindsight realize that the fear I had is the reason I never realized it before. I was too scared to examine it critically.

But looking back at it now, it's all silly. An almighty creator who watches over all of us and punishes us for being bad? It's the stuff of a children's book.
    FLRW
    FLRW
    -->
    @Double_R
     It's the stuff of a children's book.
    Or as Albert Einstein said:
    "the Bible a collection of honourable, but still primitive, legends which are nevertheless pretty childish.”
    Polytheist-Witch
    Debates: 1
    Polytheist-Witch
    -->
    @Timid8967
    Steven has mentioned in post that he believes gods once existed but they somehow left planet Earth and went somewhere else. He says they're not ancient aliens but it sounds like ancient aliens. So he believed the gods were once here on Earth but aren't here now so I think he considers himself technically a theist / atheist because he doesn't think they're here now.
    SkepticalOne
    Debates: 9
    SkepticalOne
    -->
    @Timid8967
    How many of you have come from a religious background? And what was this background?

My father was a Baptist preacher - this was my upbringing. As an adult I transitioned to Episcopalian.

And what convinced you to become an atheist? Was it a journey or an epiphany?

Both, I guess. I knew there was dissonance between a literal reading of the Biblical origin stories and what was known of origins from reality. There were also theological dissonances that I never found satisfying answers for. Eventually, it all snapped into place and I was forced to admit to myself I no longer believed. It was a traumatic realization.

Did it cause problems with your family or partner at the time? 
    Not at first, I kept it to myself for a few years sorting it all out in my head. I eventually told my wife. Once I assured her my commitment to our marriage was unchanged by one less (divine) witness being at our wedding - there has never been an issue. Telling my father was a little more difficult, but he and I maintained a close relationship until he passed. As a rule, we didn't generally talk about religion. I have lost friends - some from my own errors and some simply because I was an atheist.

And are you still connected somehow with the people from your old religious affiliation? 

I was consistently connected until a few years ago. I worked part time at the church I used to attend regularly. Either the church could no longer afford me, word got out I was not a believer (I became more outspoken once my father died), or a combination of the two led them to discontinue my employment. I still occasionally interact with my former priest and his wife - I consider them friends. 
    Timid8967
    Timid8967
    -->
    @SkepticalOne
    How many of you have come from a religious background? And what was this background?

My father was a Baptist preacher - this was my upbringing. As an adult I transitioned to Episcopalian.

And what convinced you to become an atheist? Was it a journey or an epiphany?

Both, I guess. I knew there was dissonance between a literal reading of the Biblical origin stories and what was known of origins from reality. There were also theological dissonances that I never found satisfying answers for. Eventually, it all snapped into place and I was forced to admit to myself I no longer believed. It was a traumatic realization.

Not at first, I kept it to myself for a few years sorting it all out in my head. I eventually told my wife. Once I assured her my commitment to our marriage was unchanged by one less (divine) witness being at our wedding - there has never been an issue. Telling my father was a little more difficult, but he and I maintained a close relationship until he passed. As a rule, we didn't generally talk about religion. I have lost friends - some from my own errors and some simply because I was an atheist.

And are you still connected somehow with the people from your old religious affiliation? 

I was consistently connected until a few years ago. I worked part time at the church I used to attend regularly. Either the church could no longer afford me, word got out I was not a believer (I became more outspoken once my father died), or a combination of the two led them to discontinue my employment. I still occasionally interact with my former priest and his wife - I consider them friends. 

SkepticalOne, thanks for your post. 
    EtrnlVw
    EtrnlVw
    -->
    @Timid8967
    And where is this spiritual sense? That is an elusive concept.

In terms of human experience it's certainly not elusive and actually quite common, but rather forsaken. You are a spiritual being and that is your true nature. You allow your physical perception to rule your observations, so what you experience will be at the physical layer only.

Prove it.  It seems to me the reason argue about gods existence and characteristics is theoretical and philosophical. 

Yes at one level it is, I mean there's the intellect and logic where we want to understand God through the mind sure. Arguing and observation/experience are two distinct things. If we're simply arguing over whether God exists we are entertaining only one aspect of our experience, to say that only one aspect occurs is to deny reality. Spiritual experience overshadows any other topic by far. So we have the knowledge about God, but that knowledge comes from experience and observation. It's not just about ideas, concepts and imagination but more so about a Reality that exists that we can learn from.

To say we can experience god through some other channel is difficult to conceive. Give an example.

Imagine yourself as a radio receiver where you can pick up and extract various channels of radio waves. Now imagine that the physical frequency is only but one channel of reception. Your body would represent the radio, your attention would represent the channels but your consciousness would be what could experience and hear each channel tuned in to. Your consciousness is not restricted to just the physical channel but as long as your attention is squarely tuned into that frequency that is all you will notice. Your physical sense perception is compatible with primarily the physical channel, however your conscious perception is free to pick up on any emitted frequency as you tune into such channel.

How is it common sense? Many theists reject evolution.  Common sense means it is universal.

Perhaps reread that, I was referring to the fact that for processes to occur, there must first be awareness (intelligence). Processes are associated with thought and mind, agency is a prerequisite for producing a product. For there to be construction, there must be a constructor. For there to be a production, there must be a producer. For there to be a building there must be a builder. For there to be creation, there must be a Creator. Things don't just occur for the hell of it, things don't build themselves into existence, bricks don't lay themselves into a house....blueprints don't print themselves onto paper, a universe doesn't create itself into being. Processes don't just begin to happen and produce things as if they had minds, inanimate forces don't just evolve things into existence as if they knew what they were doing. This is common sense, for intelligent processes to occur there must first be agency, thought and mind. When we see a product whether that be on earth or within our universe we know there was a producer.

I will say this though, that evolution is touted as an atheistic concept so in all actuality the battle is not so much between evolution and Theism but materialism (or atheism) and Theism. If evolution was more understood as a process that reflects intelligence and intelligence as a means to deliver products then there might not be such contempt for the process.

I don't understand your distinction between perfection and products.

Again, perhaps reread what I wrote. The products within the universe don't need to be perfect, it just needs to work. So we are not looking to judge the "design" per say, rather the product of what is occurring.

Surely that depends upon what you mean by perfection? What is your measure of perfection? Why can't death or flaws be part of that?

The only quality I mean by perfection here is that it's not subject to physical change, death or alteration caused by any physical obstruction or manipulation. Death and flaws are usually seen as imperfection. In contrast consciousness (soul) is unaffected by physical change. That's all I meant by perfection.
    All the "flaws" we know of are related to physical causes then we observe the physical effect (diseases, malfunctions, mutations, death ect ect) and typically that is understood as an imperfect category, In all honesty I'm not sure what your objection is. Consciousness or soul does not have this problem though because they exist independent of the material world hence there is no imperfection or alteration that it is subject to. 

Again, I am not convinced that humanity has a higher state of awareness.  Yes, from our perspective we do, but that is completely andromorphiccentric. It may be that humanity is actually a lesser evolved creature - less secure - thus needing to create a world to make us feel secure and safe.  Animals have no need of this - because they are fundamentally more secure than us - and do not feel the same insecurities. Possibly because they have evolved past this. 

As long as you accept this as speculation there's not much that needs to be said here. I don't really find the need to justify reality against all your speculations unless they present a legit objection. If we take Occam's Razor seriously, then human experience reflects what it is they experience.

science is science.  I worry more about how it hijacked by lefties and righties that by religious or atheists to their ends. Apart from that I really don't understand your point.  what do you mean about speculation and spirituality? Spirituality is entirely speculation. How does one observe spirituality? What is spirituality?

Spirituality is the practical, applicable and observable study of that which transcends the physical sense perception. It is not speculation at all, it is its own science. Anything that indeed exists, should be by definition that which can be experienced....and spirituality as we discussed, runs parallel to the physical channel of experience. It is both independent of the material world and yet very much observable.
    Science studies the natural world and all that which falls within the category of physical phenomenon. Spirituality is the study of spiritual phenomenon, it is the method of study that reaches beyond the limits of science.

I don't understand what you are saying.  What belief have I accepted that is not a fact? 

Any view that accepts that God does not exist.

I have seen no evidence for the existence of god. 

Go back and read post #23

in fact the evidence against god is overwhelming.

Not in the slightest, only amongst a mind full of strawman ideas about God and poor understanding. You seem to have gone off on a tangent below that is not relevant at this time. I'll address the questions but I'll end this response here for now so we don't begin to get too far off track and are no longer able to follow one another. 

K_Michael
    Debates: 38
    K_Michael
    How many of you have come from a religious background?
    Yes
    And what was this background?
    LDS
    And what convinced you to become an atheist? 
    Slow process, but I would like to especially credit Eliezer Yudkowsky's Rationality: From AI to Zombies, as well as some discussion/debates both here and DDO.

Was it a journey or an epiphany?
    Journey, but the moment I finally admitted to myself was after a coworker's murder.
    My parents know I'm an atheist and there have been some arguments over it, but I wasn't kicked out of the house or anything (I'm 18 btw, came out last year.)
    The county I live in is approximately 50% LDS and about 80-90% religious overall. I have no trouble interacting with religious people in general and do my best to accommodate their beliefs, but generally keep my atheism to myself unless explicitly asked. I would likely get more shame for wearing Pride stuff or expressing leftist view such as being Pro Choice than being atheist. Obviously I still interact with my family, so the answer is definitely yes.
    EtrnlVw
    EtrnlVw
    -->
    @Timid8967
    I'll get to the rest of your questions today soon, thanks for being a good sport. Just be open minded about it so we can learn from each other. I do appreciate you not getting nasty or rude, that's not very common here in the religion forum. 
    EtrnlVw
    EtrnlVw
    -->
    @Timid8967
    there is evil all of the world so this seems to be demonstrate that a god who is all powerful and all loving does not exist. 

Evil will always exist in a dualistic environment. The Creator is not one thing or another, all of creation exists within God and all things are experienced through God. God exists as sure as you and I exist.
    However there are many parallel universe and each plane has a specific nature to it. Of course the physical world is the wild wild west of creation where you see the full swing of duality and it is meant to be that way for the experience. While God doesn't create your actions you are free to choose them. Many of the souls that inhabit this planet are of low awareness and often times of poor character and so there's a lot of weird shyt that goes on, but there are much more elevated places within creation. So for now, just don't lose hope because you observe evil here, just know that this world was created as a means to experience creation at its lowest and weakest point. Souls come here to learn hard lessons and see where they stand amongst the higher worlds of God.

there are multiple religions which seems to indicate that there is not simply either one god or one god who can unite people who believe. each religion seems to have a deity whose people alone have the key to understanding. 

I'm not fully understanding this, perhaps it is poorly worded but just so you know I'm an Omnist regarding religion though my background was primarily Christian. So I study all forms of spirituality and religious knowledge. I don't necessarily believe in all religions or their claims but I understand that each source has good insights as well as information that can be discarded.
    Having said that, there are countless societies that exist outside the physical world and they all have their own places within the created worlds, and souls here are free to experience them and learn from them. Some are kingdoms with their own rulers, but as you study spirituality on earth

people are born without limbs - if god was omnicient and all powerful - why does he let this happen?

In this world everything is ruled by cause and effect, God doesn't sit around making all these things occur. If you're not familiar with Karma, you should do a bit of research about it and maybe it will give you a greater perspective of why this world is the way it is. Many people avoid such a principle but it reflects reality and explains quite easily why there are misfortunes in this life. It's not unfair at all because it is based upon the very behaviors, actions and lifestyles of every soul and remember we are here to simply learn from our mistakes. No one should be judged and everyone is on a temporal path here. We are all in this together. Some things may appear disturbing, but you have no way to see the larger picture so you have to be aware of the dynamics involved.

if god is none of these things but simply made the world - why? what purpose is there for a god to make a world and then disapear without leaving specific clues for people to understand with "common sense"? Sorry - the evidence against god is very strong. the evidence for god is weak.

God never disappears, and the best advice I can share with you on this one is that God experiences everything right through you. Whatever anybody experiences God experiences, this is the investment God has in this. God gets to experience the beauty and the sorrow of each life. And God does not just sit back and judge that but is very much apart of it as one who observes all things through each person. Ironically, we believe God to be some distant thing or person way out there somewhere who has no idea what we go through lol, meanwhile God is sitting in your seat and you are unaware of it.

to believe in the imaginary person of god without a purpose to do so - achieves nothing. Say for the sake of your argument you are correct. Say god did make the world using evolution. why?

Because there is always a process of creating something from nothing, and we observe that process by what we learn from our universe in action. Evolution is simply a process by which things are brought into existence.

do you think god wants us to believe in him?

It doesn't matter to God, it matter to you because you're in full control of your own input and output. Your input and output control what you experience. There is more to achieve than you every thought possible, but your advancement hinges on your own thoughts and beliefs.
    Your beliefs are like your gas in your own vehicle, depending on how much you have in the tank is how far you will go. It can be compared to learning, your own learning will reflect how much you achieve. 

you don't believe in the christian god. Im not sure what god you do believe in.

The Christian Kingdom has its own place within creation but it's not the only Kingdom or place, it is one out of endless realities. I very much believe in it, I was raised by it and spent many years of my life applying it and understanding it. If any one has any say in it it's me because I've paid my dues and I've put in the time. But....the beauty of creation is in its variations. Such variations all fit into the same massive reality we call creation. The Christian heaven is actually located on one planet, it has its own Ruler, King, laws, principles and a wide range of its own peoples. If you were to visit that Kingdom you would be quite surprised and probably very humbled. 
    I believe in a singular Reality I would call God (the Foundation or Platform), but out of this singular Reality many other gods are placed within many universes as incarnated entities that rule parts of creation and each soul journeys throughout all these locations and places. 
    In this concept both monotheism and polytheism are absolutely compatible. The Platform has many, many expressions of Itself and God creates endlessly as a means for each being to have access to not just one or two experiences but infinite options. 

Do you believe in heaven or hell? if not - then what is the purpose and how is it relevant to my life. Do you think atheists go to heaven or to hell? this is why i see it as nonsense. it is nonsense because there does not seem to be a point - not a valid one anyway.

Creation is driven by Karma, and Karma is based upon actions not beliefs. So the misconception that souls are tortured in hell for eternity because of their beliefs is BS. Hell is simply a prison in the astral plane, it serves the very same purpose as our prisons on earth. Buddhism for example goes into great detail about hell (prison), and souls sentences in such a place are congruent with their crimes they commit.

if religion is not about fear - then what is it about?

Religions are the observations of man regarding their interpretations of creation and or God. I don't know why people have this idea that it is about fear, it simply makes no sense to make that assertion. Fear regarding spirituality is usually avoided in principle, because fear as it controls people is not a useful function. Most religious sources teach about fear and help you understand how to not let it control your life and choices.
    All the good insights given throughout the history of religions you can simply leave it or utilize it, knowing that you don't have to accept everything you hear, just information that resonates with you so you can apply that knowledge to your data base or apply it to yourself. You are very much apart of God whether you know that or not, that is your true origins and you have as much say about God as any religious source. The only difference is someone may have more understanding than you do, which is why it's always good practice to learn from the wise.

if god is going to love us - no matter what - then why does it matter whether we believe or not - or question his existence or not.  and how does that relate to truth?

Your beliefs reflect your future experiences. You can believe or disbelieve and it wouldn't matter to your Creator in terms of what you mean to God. But you have a spiritual journey ahead of you and it is for your benefit alone you learn everything you can about that aspect of yourself. To stay in the dark is to walk in the dark, of course by dark I simply mean ignorance. You don't want to remain ignorant about God and your spiritual journey because it is your level of knowledge and application that will propel you into greater experiences. The longer you delay that the longer you resist moving forward.
    Spirituality is on different than any other learning curve, the more you know the more you can do. The more you learn the more you can apply, and the more you can apply the more experience you can add to yourself. God's love though, is irrelevant to whatever you choose to do.

truth is what? I say the closest thing to reality - from my subjective point of view - or should it be from an objective point of view? Idk.  This has been an interesting discussion. 

Truth is certainly the closest thing to reality, but your perception of reality influences what you believe truth to be. If God exists, and what I'm saying to you is true you will never know it because you're walking around with your head in the clouds. Open yourself up, trust that I have something useful for you to learn from, and no one is asking that you be naive or gullible but at some point if you wish to advance towards what is true you can't allow some worthless ideology like atheism to get in your way. You have to be willing to discard that at all costs to follow truth, and believe me when I say that such an ideology is detrimental to your advancement. Not because you are hated or being punished rather because you are what permits or rejects that growth simply by what you accept.
    Spirituality is both subjective and objective meaning that it relates to you personally from your perspective as well as there are objective truths because it exists as an actuality not an idea or some figment of the imagination. While you have the freedom to express your spirituality in any way you find acceptable, there is also an objective base to learn from.

I hope this helps us understand one another a bit more, although I don't really want to get too far off track before we see eye to eye on God's existence. As we work to clear that obstacle we can get more into details. I would say though, that what religions put forth is irrelevant to whether or not God exists. Just make sure you take your time and read fully what I'm writing and you will see that everything should make sense. The dynamics that are involved is what makes your attention to what I'm saying important but really there is a simplicity to all this as well. 

ebuc
    ebuc
    -->
    @Timid8967
    A question for atheists.
    God = Universe ergo I believe in God ergo Universe.   Simple not complex to grasp.

Thanks to mom for use of word metaphysical in Christian Science teachings ---mind over matter---  associated with her brand of Christian Scientist, i.e. segrams 7 &7 in one  hand and Winston ciggerretes in the other, with the Christian Science phamplets inbetween on dinner table and some times the Bible.

God/Universe is finite aka wholistic integrity.
    Stephen
    Stephen

Dimtim wrote: do you think god wants us to believe in him?

Just-asdim EtrnlVw wrote:  It doesn't matter to God, 

Are you sure about that? The bible says different. What the hell does  the bible all boil down to if not having faith and "BELIEVING" in god?  This is but  another example of a crowing bible basher pretending he knows his scriptures.

BrotherDThomas
    Debates: 2
    BrotherDThomas
    -->
    @Stephen
    @Tradesecret
    @Timid8967

Stephen, 

The totally Bible inept pseudo-christians upon this forum are so dumbfounded that Jesus and I cannot believe it at times!  Of course they have to believe in my serial killer Jesus, as Yahweh God incarnate, TO BE SAVED as the following passages so stipulate:

"Because, if you confess with your mouth that Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved." (Romans 10:9)

“Believe in the Lord Jesus, and you will be saved, you and your household.” (Acts 16:31)

"Truly, truly, I say to you, whoever believes has eternal life." (John 6:47)

As we both know, we do not put to much validity into whatever the dumbfounded of the Bible TIMID8967 says upon this forum because his Bible ignorance is getting closer to TRADESECRET'S and FAUXLAW'S Bible stupidity!

Timid8967
    Timid8967
    -->
    @BrotherDThomas
    Brother,

unlike you I am not afraid to identify my non-faith.   It seems you need to come out of the closet.   Stop pretending to be something you are not. You don't need to be ashamed to be an atheist.  Embrace it.  Stop purporting to be something you are not.  

I am non-theist.  This means I do not have a faith in any  religion.  I say Come and join us.  We are the ones who have something to offer this world.  Stephen in his delusional theistic position wants to pretend that those without faith don't have anything to offer. Well he as a theist does not get the right to say that.  He is a theist but pretends for some reason that this puts the burden of proof on him as a theist. Yet ironically is fearful of ever actually putting forward his burden.  He really is a strange and inconsistent one.  Like you, I think he needs to man up - and come out of the closet.  After all we do live in the 21st century and no one has to stay locked into their traditions anymore.  

I don't pretend to be an expert on the bible - as Stephen rightly likes to remind us - I have only read the bible once from cover to cover.  He is the theist not me.  And his intention to ridicule continues to blindside him.  After all, he is the theist not me.  And like all theists he is full of bull sh@$.  A bit like you. 

Yet, whereas Stephen is quite content to remain swimming in his own mess - you don't have to do so.  Come on Brother,  come out of the closet and embrace the truth.  Stephen and tradesecret and fauxlaw and pga.2 are all theists.  They are all living in delusional beliefs that they are correct.  But you Brother - even as your charade reveals - are closer to the truth - so come out of the closet - come and join those of us who have rejected theism and embraced the reality of life. 
    zedvictor4
    Debates: 22
    zedvictor4
    -->
    @Timid8967
    I try to be a realist.

But ultimately everything in the Universe is real.

In human terms it all boils down to a conceptual choice.

Perhaps some choices are more rational than others.

But who or what is to judge?
    Stephen
    Stephen
    -->
    @BrotherDThomas
    "Because, if you confess with your mouth that Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved." (Romans 10:9)

“Believe in the Lord Jesus, and you will be saved, you and your household.” (Acts 16:31)

"Truly, truly, I say to you, whoever believes has eternal life." (John 6:47)

Indeed Brother. It sounds to me that someone is desperate for anyone to believe in him and not at all as EtrnlVw will have us believe:

Dimtim wrote: do you think god wants us to believe in him?

Just-asdim EtrnlVw wrote:  It doesn't matter to God, 

BrotherDThomas
    Debates: 2
    BrotherDThomas
    -->
    @Timid8967

Timid8967,

Oh my, another circular reasoning fallacy again as proposed by your wanting post #57, as if I haven't seen them before. :(

Real quick, I understand that since I am a TRUE Christian and follow ALL, I repeat, ALL of the JUDEO-Christian Bible, it is hard for inept pseudo-christians like you to see that what I propose towards Christianity, you have never seen before, therefore I must be a parody of a Christian as an alleged Atheist, NOT! LOL

I have addressed your outright BIBLE STUPIDITY in my post #56, where you had the audacity to state: Dimtim wrote: "do you think god wants us to believe in him?" LOL!!!!! Duh!    Therefore, run along kid, where we easily see that you would be more comfortable at a Children's Christian Religious Forum where your IQ level and Bible ignorance is of theirs. Therefore, here is a link for you to initiate below and become a member, of which, you can thank me later, okay?

Children's Christian Forum: https://www.forumchristian.org/kids