CRT Breaks Everything

Author: Fruit_Inspector

Total: 165
Fruit_Inspector
Debates: 20
Fruit_Inspector
-->
@SkepticalOne
A simple definition might be the examination of societal structures in order to identify racism embedded within them. While a simple definition like this might seem harmless, the underlying presuppositions are what make it relevant to the article. One of these presuppositions is that systemic racism exists - that is assumed to be true. It also exists throughout all aspects of society, and was intentionally structured into that society by the oppressor class in order to benefit them at the expense of others.

The author makes the case that humans first arose in Africa with dark skin, and they are the foundation of art, culture, etc. To deny evolution is to take credit away from these dark-skinned ancestors for their accomplishments, making one guilty of racism. This is why the author can get away with essentially calling all creationists a bunch of evangelical KKK-loving white supremacists. The argumentation is terrible and the article has no business in a publication like Scientific American.
Lemming
Debates: 6
Lemming
-->
@Fruit_Inspector
How an individual chooses to interpret something, can be the racist element, I'd say.
or instance a racist 'could claim,
"Humans evolved from monkeys into humans, then spread from Africa to the rest of the world, and evolved further, clearly blacks are closer to monkeys than the rest of humans."

If an individual is determined to justify some claim, or perspective.
Words, can be constructed a variety of ways.

Also, no reason creationists couldn't claim the Garden of Eden was in Africa.
Fruit_Inspector
Fruit_Inspector
-->
@Lemming
Isn't that statement considered to be a general fact from the evolutionary worldview, regardless of whether it is intended to be racist?
Lemming
Lemming
-->
@Fruit_Inspector
I'm doubtful.
Just seemed an offensive thing to say, but use limited logic and justification for.

But, the statement again,
. . .
Maybe it's the distance we've traveled in 'generations, that matters more, than the distance we've traveled in land.
We've 'all traveled generations, experienced the survival of the fittest in relation to imagination, advanced cognition, or whatever element it was that separates us from our evolutionary forebears, if one goes with the theory of evolution.
If a person believes in evolution, I imagine that variable, more than snow, that's shaped humans 'all.

Though sure, white skin vitamin D, healthy fat Inuits, Sickle cells in people living near malaria, Neanderthal DNA, still all exist.
But again, perhaps it's the 'generations traveled, weeded by the survival of the fittest in relation to imagination, advanced cognition, or whatever element it was that separates us from our evolutionary forebears, if one goes with the theory of evolution.
Rather than land distance traveled.

I've never studied genetics.
Or evolution, I don't know why humans couldn't have evolved on multiple continents at once, or traveled on different continents 'during evolution, or a continent 'before Africa.
Fruit_Inspector
Fruit_Inspector
-->
@Lemming
It seems the author of the article would actually agree with your original statement about dark-skinned Africans being the closest to monkeys:
"The global scientific community overwhelmingly accepts that all living humans are of African descent. Most scientific articles about our African origins focus on genetics. The part of the story that is not widely shared is about the creation of human culture. We are all descended genetically, and also culturally, from dark-skinned ancestors."
But I know that's not necessarily the main point you were making so I will shift the focus back to that. Racism has traditionally been understood to be the thoughts and actions of individuals that consider one race to be superior to another. The key point being that racism is carried out by an individual.

However, in CRT, racism is a structural evil. One author calls it racism without racists. Merriam-Webster even updated their definition, showing that the traditional understanding was distinct enough from what people call racism today to require a new definition.

So when you said that how an individual interprets something is the racist factor, that is true if you hold to the traditional understanding of racism. But if you hold to the new understanding (i.e. that racism is systemic), then you simply need to find some perceived disparity to "prove" that racism exists. In the article, it is the failure to acknowledge our dark-skinned ancestors in the evolutionary timeline. And since this is a form of systemic racism, those who take part in furthering this disparity can be called white supremacists, even if they don't believe whites are superior to blacks.
Lemming
Lemming
-->
@Fruit_Inspector
Fair point, though certain laws and policies, 'have existed in history, which we'd call racist. By their explicitly.
Though they are obvious, and 'intentioned to single out groups.

If one defines racism as differences of statistics between groups.
Then I have trouble going along with that as a definition.
It also just becomes a headache, classifying every single human characteristic into groups, are redheads represented equally, blondes, tall people, short people, people with big noses, people with small noses, people with 'this combination of traits, 'that people with 'that combination of traits.
I 'really don't care at a certain point.
And end up finding the fixation upon equal outcome, irritating.

(Edit)
Though on the other hand, I'm not bothered, if the public schools teacher spends more time with the poor kid, if they know their parents won't help them any in homework.
I 'would be bothered if the school expected me to 'pay more, to help the poor kid.
Though 'voluntarily helping them, would not bother me so.

I'm also bothered by some people's 'focus on race, I wouldn't be so bothered if they just wanted to help the people in society who needed it.
But I'm bothered, they want my money without asking, to do so.
Fruit_Inspector
Fruit_Inspector
-->
@Lemming
I think most people would agree that there have been laws and policies in US history that have been racist. I think slavery is a serious blemish on American history. However, I think we can also see that there are no current laws or policies that are racist, and that we go out of our way to ensure that racism is not carried out in such a way.

If you do not agree with defining racism as statistical disparities between racial groups, then you will definitely not like CRT. In fact, the disparities are what is used to justify actual racism against whites (and in some cases Asians). For instance, if you can show that white people have a higher median income than black people, that is "proof" that racism exists, even if no cause can be linked to discriminatory practices. And if this disparity is defined as racism, one would be justified to pay black people more than white people in order to "undo" the systemic racism being carried out against black people. In other words, CRT justifies traditional racism (prejudiced treatment based on race) if it is being used to fight systemic racism (disparities between races).

And it is this worldview that allows an author to publish in article in Scientific American stating that denying evolution is a form of white supremacy, using awful argumentation and ad hominem attacks upon anyone who disagrees.
Lemming
Lemming
-->
@Fruit_Inspector
To state that denying evolution is a form of white supremacy, 'is rather silly.

I'm 'still unsure what the definition of CRT, as everyone keeps giving different answers.

I'll admit that certain characteristics in individuals, can cause different action in response to other people.
Tall people are often CEOs I've read.
'Maybe blacks 'are stopped by police more, for no reason 'except their skin color.
Certainly a white kid growing up in the ghetto, seems likely to get popped in the mouth, for using the N word.

Still,
I'm 'pretty sure, Americans are no longer of the position,
That blacks are second class citizens in America.
That women can't vote.
Fruit_Inspector
Fruit_Inspector
-->
@Lemming
This video shows Voddie Baucham explaining CRT simply and clearly using the most authoritative sources from Critical Theorists themselves. He's done post-graduate studies at Oxford and seeks to accurately represents CRT in their own words. It's just under 5 minutes and very helpful if you're interested.

https://youtu.be/zPpVTEZ7z3A
Lemming
Lemming
-->
@Fruit_Inspector
My takeaways, from what video said,
1. racism is normal
2. White people are incapable of righteous actions on race, and only undo racism, when it benefits them.
3. Anti-Liberal?
4. Knowledge is socially constructed.

1. Everything is racist, I 'suppose. But not necessarily is everything racist 'enough, to matter.
Every time someone has hair color, you might say this effects people of different hair color differently, but who cares.
Everything might as well be sexist, and every other form of discrimination as well.
Or everything is inclusion.
But we don't care about 'everything, and 'every amount.

2. Might as well be 'every race.
I also disagree with thought.
Be as if saying a person is incapable of an unselfish act, if they believed they would ascend/descend to Heaven or Hell, based upon their actions in life.

3.Anti-Liberal? Ah, silence is violence, kind of deal?

4. Knowledge 'is a bit socially constructed, what we have. But it's not 'just that.
True that people of different experiences, tend to have different perspectives.

I've still yet to decide 'what people mean by CRT.

Fruit_Inspector
Fruit_Inspector
-->
@Lemming
Yeah, people have many varying ideas about what CRT is. As with any ideology brought to the forefront of the culture, many people will base their ideas on sound bytes from the news or social media. I try to allow Critical Theorists to speak for themselves and analyze their arguments from their perspective. It would be a similar approach to debating where you want to accurately represents your opponent's arguments.

But it is also a huge topic that is hard to reduce to a single definition, with its own worldview and dictionary of terms. Combined with the sensitive nature of racism, this is why discussions about race often get derailed so easily. 
fauxlaw
Debates: 77
fauxlaw
I have noted before in other topics that I personally find no distinction between creationism and evolution, and I'm pretty certain that is a relatively rare view for this site. Most of you definitively come down on one side or the other, never considering that they might be co-equal processes. Someone can explain why they cannot both be operative. What, because God wouldn't think of allowing adaptation? Darwin certainly allowed for it, and he'd never heard of DNA. It is, by the way, for environmental basket-cases, the way we resolve climate change, as well - we adapt [evolve, for purists]. Oh, I'm all for cleaning our environment, but the idea that if temperature rises another 2 degrees, and we're toast, is just a bit silly. Hint: don't use butter on a sunburn.
Fruit_Inspector
Fruit_Inspector
-->
@fauxlaw
My main contention with evolution is a theological one. Though I think there is sufficient scientific evidence to reject it as well. I don't intend to get into a debate here since that is not the purpose of this thread. But in case you want to comment on this, my main argument is that if God created the world as good, death and disease would not have been part of it.

"Therefore, just as through one man sin entered into the world, and death through sin, and so death spread to all men, because all sinned" - Romans 5:12

If death is the penalty for sin, and sin came through Adam, then death could not have been present prior to Adam. Evolution requires death in order for humans to come about. That would mean death did not come through Adam's sin, but it was a part of God's good creation.
drlebronski
Debates: 14
drlebronski
Africans are not closer to apes than white people. its a stereotype and was used to justify slavery and segregation.

Fruit_Inspector
Fruit_Inspector
-->
@drlebronski
If, as the author of the article states, the earliest ancestors to humans were dark-skinned Africans, then how is it false to say that dark-skinned Africans are the closest human descendants to monkeys?
drlebronski
drlebronski
-->
@Fruit_Inspector
lol thats not how evolution works. Africans are black because there's more melanin in their skin then they started spreading out and the melanin came out and people were white that didn't make any more closer or further from monkeys. Also humans are not descended from monkeys they have a common ancestor.
drlebronski
drlebronski
Also please provide sources if your only evidence is because they are black then you don't have evidence
Fruit_Inspector
Fruit_Inspector
-->
@drlebronski
I cited the article from my original post because that's what this thread is about. The author is stating that it is a form of white supremacy to reject the notion that the first humans were dark-skinned Africans.
drlebronski
drlebronski
-->
@Fruit_Inspector
Im aware of that but you don't have any evidence as to black people being less evolved. Again if your only evidence is cause they are black you don't have evidence.
Fruit_Inspector
Fruit_Inspector
-->
@drlebronski
I have no need to make that argument because I do not believe that evolution adequately explains the diversity of life. Nor is proving the skin color of our supposed ancestors according to a theory I reject particularly relevant to the point of this thread.

The reason I cited the article is because I believe it shows how the prevalence of CRT allowed such bad argumentation to be published in Scientific American. And since you disagree with the idea that our earliest human ancestors were dark-skinned, it seems you might agree with me that it is bad argumentation. But it seems you might also be labeled by the author as a white supremacists for denying the achievements of our supposed dark-skinned ancestors.
Theweakeredge
Debates: 33
Theweakeredge
-->
@Fruit_Inspector
Sure - doesn't mean that he wrote it down though - you are asserting that it was declared, stated, etc-  he merely implied it - actually no - in the paper itself it wasn't implied - you were primed, hahahha! Oh my god this is fucking amazing, you don't even realize it, you were actually convinced by that article and you don't even realize it? HAhahahaha!!

And yup - they do - cuz those who lie to perpetuate their own agenda, with no greater good, just for their own sake - trash - that's my opinion on the matter. 
drlebronski
drlebronski
-->
@Fruit_Inspector
I do not disagree our ancestors were dark skinned that's a fact. That doesn't prove black people are closer to apes at all.
Lemming
Lemming
-->
@drlebronski
Eh, theory.
drlebronski
drlebronski
-->
@Fruit_Inspector
@Theweakeredge
Implying that black people are closer to apes is clearly racist if you don't see that your dumb
Lemming
Lemming
-->
@Theweakeredge
"Denial of Evolution Is a Form of White Supremacy"
It's in the title?

drlebronski
drlebronski
-->
@Lemming
I think she was refering to this "But it seems you might also be labeled by the author as a white supremacists for denying the achievements of our supposed dark-skinned ancestors."
drlebronski
drlebronski
*he
Lemming
Lemming
-->
@drlebronski
Truthfully, I'm not sure quite 'what post #51, is saying.
But doesn't matter, if they feel need, they'll elaborate.
Fruit_Inspector
Fruit_Inspector
-->
@Theweakeredge
"Sure - doesn't mean that he wrote it down though - you are asserting that it was declared, stated, etc-  he merely implied it"
Did you just assume the author was a man? Uh oh...

And you'll have to explain what is apparently so funny.
zedvictor4
Debates: 22
zedvictor4
-->
@FLRW
No one has a clue if Adam or Eve actually existed, let alone what they looked like.

Though one would assume,  that they would actually have been fairly swarthy  and hairy in appearance.

Stylised images are what they are.

And we all descended from goo, and what colour that was I don't know....Perhaps it was green. 

And CRT is usually expounded by critical racists.

Or are we discussing Cathode Ray Tubes.