ARE HUMANS UNDECIPHERABLE ENIGMAS OR PROGRAMMABLE BLACK BOXES?

Author: 3RU7AL

Total: 61
3RU7AL
Debates: 3
3RU7AL

do you believe that people tend to adopt general strategies to deal with challenges they encounter ??

do you believe these strategies are identifiable ??

(1) do you think a person should get their sense of self-worth from within themselves or from what other people think of them?

(2) do you prefer to be spontaneous and go out and travel and do things "IRL" or do you prefer to think about doing things and lose yourself in movies and television shows and books ?

(3) do you think people should generally trust their gut or do you think people should generally think things through ??

(4) do you think people should follow a strict core code of laws or principles no matter what, or do you think that people should follow different rules in different situations ??

oromagi
Debates: 117
oromagi

no

do you believe that people tend to adopt general strategies to deal with challenges they encounter ??

no

do you hink a person should get their sense of self-worth from within themselves or from what other people think of them?
within
(2) do you prefer to be spontaneous and go out and travel and do things "IRL" or do you prefer to think about doing things and lose yourself in movies and television shows and books ?
all of the above
(3) do you think people should generally trust their gut or do you think people should generally think things through ??
Mostly depends on time availability.

(4) do you think people should follow a strict core code of laws or principles no matter what, or do you think that people should follow different rules in different situations ??
both
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@oromagi
no
Please present your proposed third option.
oromagi
oromagi
-->
@3RU7AL
Humans (Homo sapiens) are the most abundant and widespread species of primates, characterized by bipedality and large, complex brains enabling the development of advanced tools, culture and language. 
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@oromagi
Do you believe "the scientific method" can be fairly characterized as a "problem solving strategy" ?
oromagi
oromagi
-->
@3RU7AL
Sure
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@oromagi
do you believe that some people tend to adopt "the scientific method" to deal with challenges they encounter ??
oromagi
oromagi
-->
@3RU7AL
-->@oromagi
do you believe that some people tend to adopt "the scientific method" to deal with challenges they encounter ??
No.  I think  people get to the hypothesis and prediction stages plenty but then they test their predictions sloppily and seldom make an accurate record of the results.  
Sum1hugme
Debates: 37
Sum1hugme
Neither.

Sure.

Sure, called concepts.

(1) do you think a person should get their sense of self-worth from within themselves or from what other people think of them?
Within, but also how they they make the people they love feel.

(2) do you prefer to be spontaneous and go out and travel and do things "IRL" or do you prefer to think about doing things and lose yourself in movies and television shows and books ?
Both

(3) do you think people should generally trust their gut or do you think people should generally think things through ??
Both

(4) do you think people should follow a strict core code of laws or principles no matter what, or do you think that people should follow different rules in different situations ??
  Both, unless it's morality, then they should follow principles.

Athias
Debates: 20
Athias
-->
@3RU7AL
A bit of both, or neither. Conventional definitions of "programmable" would suggest that our behaviors reflect some schemata. On the other hand, there's choice, i.e. I can choose not to eat, or sleep, or drink water; I can choose suicide, etc. And then there's the mind--is it an undecipherable enigma, or is it accumulated and cultivated data bound by logic, which is merely housed in the brain? Or a constellation of characteristics however perceived which is bound by our subjective values? Whichever I pick would likely satisfy only me.

Yes.

What do you mean? Can they be verbalized/communicated?

(1) do you think a person should get their sense of self-worth from within themselves or from what other people think of them?
I think self-worth should start out from within and primarily focus on what one thinks of oneself. I don't think there's anything necessarily wrong with getting at least some of one's self-esteem from what other people think of them, whether it has positive or adverse effects. Case in point, I care what my family members and friends think about me. And that contributes in part to how I picture myself. The key is that I don't prioritize over what I think about myself. I think issues with self-esteem arise when one makes it another's responsibility to give them self-worth. How can one expect from others that which one wouldn't expect from oneself?

(2) do you prefer to be spontaneous and go out and travel and do things "IRL" or do you prefer to think about doing things and lose yourself in movies and television shows and books ?
Definitely the latter. I'm a homebody. There have been occasions where I've been spontaneous, but I definitely like to lose myself in a good book while at home. I do play sports, so that gets me out.

(3) do you think people should generally trust their gut or do you think people should generally think things through ??
Trust one's gut, if I had to pick one over the other. One should definitely think things through, but thinking things through can produce no more or less solutions than going with one's gut. And the older I get, the more I trust my gut.

(4) do you think people should follow a strict core code of laws or principles no matter what, or do you think that people should follow different rules in different situations ??
Yes, I think people should follow a strict core code of principles--morally codified by the concept of individualism.

Wylted
Debates: 34
Wylted
-->
@3RU7AL
do you think a person should get their sense of self-worth from within themselves or from what other people think of them
People get a sense of self worth from how much they feel they are useful to society. That can be tempting to get your self worth from others because of it. This isn't a theory. One of the fathers of modern psychology discovered this through  experimentation. (Not Freud or jung but the other one that nobody remembers who came from the same peer group). Just be useful to somebody bro. 
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@Athias
I find it difficult to disagree with you.
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@Sum1hugme
Neither.
Please elaborate.
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@Wylted
do you think a person should get their sense of self-worth from within themselves or from what other people think of them
People get a sense of self worth from how much they feel they are useful to society. That can be tempting to get your self worth from others because of it. This isn't a theory. One of the fathers of modern psychology discovered this through  experimentation. (Not Freud or jung but the other one that nobody remembers who came from the same peer group). Just be useful to somebody bro. 
I'm quite certain humans are intrinsically valuable.
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@Athias
accumulated and cultivated data bound by logic, which is merely housed in the brain
Wylted
Debates: 34
Wylted
-->
@3RU7AL
I agree, but we are discussing what makes people have good self esteem. 
EtrnlVw
Debates: 0
EtrnlVw
-->
@3RU7AL

Both

Perhaps.

I would say it's a very complex system.

(1) do you think a person should get their sense of self-worth from within themselves or from what other people think of them?

Both, you always hear people say "don't care about what others say or think about you"....but in some cases it's probably something to consider, especially if someone is either delusional or unrealistic about what they are. 

(2) do you prefer to be spontaneous and go out and travel and do things "IRL" or do you prefer to think about doing things and lose yourself in movies and television shows and books ?

Both

(3) do you think people should generally trust their gut or do you think people should generally think things through ??

Both
Gut instinct has less baggage than thought, because thoughts are conditioned processes. Thinking doesn't always lead to truth, perhaps vice versa but I would say a good blend of both is preferable. Sometimes, just simple observation without interference of the mind is the best way to approach being non-biased.

(4) do you think people should follow a strict core code of laws or principles no matter what, or do you think that people should follow different rules in different situations ??

I think being fluid and flexible (mixed with compassion) is a great idea, as long as one follows the basic idea of Karma which is basically the spiritual principle of cause and effect.

Jeeze, such black and white markers here....do you view people and the world with such a rigid categorization? I think there's a lot more grey area involved in some of these questions, or more of a combination of things to consider.

3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@EtrnlVw
Both
Please explain.
ebuc
ebuc
-->
@3RU7AL
1} Ethics { psychology/religon etc }, 2] culture { peer/religon et }, 3} genetics all interact and interpeffect how a person develops the behavior twowards their environment.

Not everyone is american, or African or Asian or literate, all of these peoples behaviour vary based the above three.

One size does not fit all ergo, some United Nations global polling will have to  be done local with the global scenarios data output tailored to be understood what that information presented means specifically.  There is going to  be issues arise.

.........feedback at as many steps along the way in instituting a global awarness and polling becomes instituted..........

This kind of global effort will take time and much more good will consideratons then many people and countrys have given before.

zedvictor4
Debates: 22
zedvictor4
-->
@3RU7AL
Humans are both decipherable and programmable.

We are led to believe that all outcomes are genetically encoded, and therefore decipherable

And we output data and behave, in a way that we were inadvertently conditioned to be.....We are genetically programmed  and  data conditioned.

3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@zedvictor4
Humans are both decipherable and programmable.

We are led to believe that all outcomes are genetically encoded, and therefore decipherable

And we output data and behave, in a way that we were inadvertently conditioned to be.....We are genetically programmed  and  data conditioned.
Edward Bernays.
Sum1hugme
Debates: 37
Sum1hugme
-->
@3RU7AL
Well we certainly aren't indecipherable, since much has been learned about human behavioral biology. And we aren't necessarily programmable in the sense that we are some blank slate. Many things are innate and/or environmentally influenced.
EtrnlVw
EtrnlVw
-->
@3RU7AL
Please explain.

What is there to explain? while we are certainly programmable, at least from an average human state of existence we also have a lot of genuine original things to offer as individuals simply because we aren't just robots. Each soul has a unique perspective that exists outside the confines of the conditioned mind. 
zedvictor4
Debates: 22
zedvictor4
-->
@EtrnlVw
Each soul etc.
That is an assumption.
sadolite
sadolite
The year 2020 has proved beyond all doubts that the vast majority of people are programmable black boxes. The year 2020 also revealed who would and who wouldn't have complied in WW2 Nazi Germany. Did you take note? I sure as hell did. Now I know who never to trust and who would sell me out and throw me under the bus.

janesix
Debates: 12
janesix
-->
@3RU7AL
  >>>> Both

>>>>>I think people adAPT to just about anything. General, not really

(1) do you think a person should get their sense of self-worth from within themselves or from what other people think of them?
>>> of course within, but who ever manages THAT really?

(2) do you prefer to be spontaneous and go out and travel and do things "IRL" or do you prefer to think about doing things and lose yourself in movies and television shows and books ?

>>> books. Now that I'm older anyway.

(3) do you think people should generally trust their gut or do you think people should generally think things through ??
>>>> gut first, think later.

(4) do you think people should follow a strict core code of laws or principles no matter what, or do you think that people should follow different rules in different situations ??
>>>>situations are always different, so number 2

Intelligence_06
Debates: 167
Intelligence_06
Programmable black boxes. We can decode many forms of our brain signals. The only thing preventing the human mind being programmed and accepted is the fact that it is widely considered as unethical, probably.
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@sadolite
The year 2020 has proved beyond all doubts that the vast majority of people are programmable black boxes. The year 2020 also revealed who would and who wouldn't have complied in WW2 Nazi Germany. Did you take note? I sure as hell did. Now I know who never to trust and who would sell me out and throw me under the bus.
Well stated.

65 days later

secularmerlin
secularmerlin
-->
@3RU7AL
Yes
janesix
Debates: 12
janesix
-->
@3RU7AL

yes

yes

(1) do you think a person should get their sense of self-worth from within themselves or from what other people think of them?

within themself

for actual traveling to other places, then I prefer books etc. for hands on things like crafts, I like to get my hands dirty. Learning basket weaving now

both

Laws mostly, until they infringe on your personal code of ethics.