Race Realism: Critical understandings

Author: Mesmer

Total: 320
3RU7AL
Debates: 3
3RU7AL
-->
@Mesmer
Notwithstanding that......Everyone is aware of perceivable differences and either does or doesn't discriminate....Therefore, race realism.
Race realism isn't built upon just "perceivable differences". It's built upon research and data that show "perceivable differences" are scientifically sound concepts (e.g. race).
A CLASSIC CASE OF A CONCLUSION SEARCHING DESPERATELY FOR A JUSTIFICATION.
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@Mesmer
Therefore, any noticable difference in outcome or performance, logically speaking, cannot be a result of genes. Otherwise such large disparations would not account for such a wide population of said group, it is therefore most likely the case that environment is the cause of said differences in outcomes. 
Your 100% environment explanation is fringe, stupid and wrong. You're literally denying the existence of genetics, at this point -- you are that stupid.

Among the "races", Africans have a much higher level of genetic diversity than the other "races" combined.

If there were meaningful human "races", most of them would be African.

Dog breeds aren't particularly interesting biological entities, either. Many modern dog breeds claim to have ancient roots, but they are, for the most part, relatively recent (within the past few hundred years) reconstructions of purportedly ancient breeds. You can take this as a testament to how well selective breeding can effect great physical change in a very short time.
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@Mesmer
You might like this,

Stanford University's AI can tell if you're gay or straight from a photo

Michal Kosinski and Yilun Wang’s algorithm can accurately guess if a person is straight or gay based on a photo of their face. This was achieved using a sample of over 35,000 images that had been publicly posted on a US dating site, with an even representation of gay and straight (determined through their profiles) and male and female subjects.

The deep neural networks extracted features from the huge dataset, identifying certain trends to help it determine a person’s sexuality. Gay men tended to have “gender-atypical” features, expressions and grooming styles, meaning they appeared more feminine. They often had narrower jaws, longer noses and larger foreheads than straight men. The opposite was true for gay women, who generally had larger jaws and smaller foreheads.

Mesmer
Debates: 0
Mesmer
-->
@Double_R
You haven’t addressed a damn thing
I wonder if this is you being genetically incapable of understanding racial in-group bias and the effect that it has on politics. Maybe you're so highly bound by individualism that your brain can't process what I'm saying, hence why you think 100s of words I write, sometimes directly quoting you, still results in me not addressing "a damn thing".

Anyway, again, no point in continuing if you won't/can't respond to what I say.
zedvictor4
Debates: 22
zedvictor4
-->
@3RU7AL
Well...One can be objective without being overly scientific.

And science is as complicated or uncomplicated as one cares to make it.

And the term "race" is loosely defined.

So it is really a case of where does one begin categorising and stop sub-categorising.
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@zedvictor4
So it is really a case of where does one begin categorising and stop sub-categorising.
And whether or not these purely subjective and arbitrary categories and sub-categories are "REAL".
zedvictor4
Debates: 22
zedvictor4
-->
@3RU7AL
The old subjective objective conundrum.....With arbitrary thrown in for good measure.

However, categories and sub-categories would have a "real" discernible basis.

Mesmer
Mesmer
-->
@3RU7AL
Notwithstanding that......Everyone is aware of perceivable differences and either does or doesn't discriminate....Therefore, race realism.
Race realism isn't built upon just "perceivable differences". It's built upon research and data that show "perceivable differences" are scientifically sound concepts (e.g. race).
A CLASSIC CASE OF A CONCLUSION SEARCHING DESPERATELY FOR A JUSTIFICATION.
How did you reach that conclusion?

Among the "races", Africans have a much higher level of genetic diversity than the other "races" combined.

Nope.

When K = 3 and at least 100 genetic markers are used, 'Africans' are genetically distinct from 'Asians' and 'Europeans' at 100% Human Population Genetic Structure and Inference of Group Membership (nih.gov) .

Dog breeds aren't particularly interesting biological entities, either. Many modern dog breeds claim to have ancient roots, but they are, for the most part, relatively recent (within the past few hundred years) reconstructions of purportedly ancient breeds. You can take this as a testament to how well selective breeding can effect great physical change in a very short time.
Nobody but you cares whether you find this "interesting". The point is whether this stuff is correct or not.

Yes, evolution can happen very quickly. That fact doesn't change the fact that subspecies exist lol.

You might like this,

What does this have to do with race realism (you know, the thread's topic)?

3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@Mesmer
A CLASSIC CASE OF A CONCLUSION SEARCHING DESPERATELY FOR A JUSTIFICATION.
How did you reach that conclusion?
Gathering data to merely confirm a pre-existing perception is a perfect example of MOTIVATED-REASONING.
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@Mesmer
Among the "races", Africans have a much higher level of genetic diversity than the other "races" combined.

Nope.

When K = 3 and at least 100 genetic markers are used, 'Africans' are genetically distinct from 'Asians' and 'Europeans' at 100% Human Population Genetic Structure and Inference of Group Membership (nih.gov) .
YOU'RE BASICALLY SAYING THAT IF YOU FACTOR-OUT THE KNOWN DIFFERENCES BETWEEN AFRICANS, THEN THEY MAGICALLY BECOME SIMILAR.
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@Mesmer
You might like this,

What does this have to do with race realism (you know, the thread's topic)?
PERHAPS YOU ALSO SUBSCRIBE TO "SEXUAL-ORIENTATION-REALISM".
Mesmer
Mesmer
-->
@3RU7AL
Gathering data to merely confirm a pre-existing perception is a perfect example of MOTIVATED-REASONING.
Oh so you're saying I'm engaging in confirmation bias.

The argument for human races stands alone by itself. If you don't think so, feel free to show where the argument falters: The Existence of Race – The Alternative Hypothesis .

Nope.

YOU'RE BASICALLY SAYING THAT IF YOU FACTOR-OUT THE KNOWN DIFFERENCES BETWEEN AFRICANS, THEN THEY MAGICALLY BECOME SIMILAR.
Not at all lol.

I was responding to your claim that: "If there were meaningful human "races", most of them would be African". I demonstrated that this was not true by showing you that even at K = 3, most races were not African.

PERHAPS YOU ALSO SUBSCRIBE TO "SEXUAL-ORIENTATION-REALISM".
This is a red herring for this thread.
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@Mesmer
from your own link,

Eighty-five to ninety percent of neutral genetic variation in the human species is due to differences between individuals within populations (Lewontin 1972; Barbujani et al. 1997; Jorde et al. 2000). [**]
Mesmer
Mesmer
-->
@3RU7AL
I'll just assume you're conceding all the arguments you're dropping.

Eighty-five to ninety percent of neutral genetic variation in the human species is due to differences between individuals within populations (Lewontin 1972; Barbujani et al. 1997; Jorde et al. 2000). [**]

3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@Mesmer
The argument for human races stands alone by itself.
The fact that racism existed BEFORE genetic markers were discovered eliminates the possibility that racism is caused by an awareness of genetic markers.

Nobody on the planet is disputing that HUMANS ARE DIVERSE AND INHERIT SOME CHARACTERISTICS FROM THEIR PARENTS.

You don't need a biopsy syringe to figure that one out.

What we seem to be disputing is that LUMPING RUSSIANS AND ITALIANS AND IRISH AND GREEKS AND ALGERIANS AND EGYPTIANS INTO A SINGLE GROUP, and calling this group, "WHITE AMERICANS" IS 100% ARBITRARY.

How do you explain this obvious intra-group genetic diversity ?

How do you explain HALF-BREEDS ?
dfss9788
Debates: 2
dfss9788
-->
@Mesmer
You're essentially claiming that when K = 2, Asians only fit their category 62% of the time -- way off what most studies are showing.

Do you see that now? If not, how do you explain all this research that contradicts what you've argued?
This is a strawman argument. 99.9% of the genome is the same. Human genetic variation (save for weird things like trisomy) is going to be that last 0.01% of the genome. Certain parts of the genome (e.g. ancestral markers) are consistent within population groups. I'm imagining that these studies are simply focusing on things like that and aren't looking at the entire genome.

Focus on that 0.01% difference. There is a way to measure how much you have in common with another person genetically. Select a random white person, call him "W1". Select another white person, call him "W2". Select a random Asian person, call him "A1". Test them genetically to see if W1 is more closely related to W2 or A1. 38% of the time when you perform this test, you will find that W1 is more closely related to A1 than he is to W2. This is a different test than looking at only the parts of the genome which are consistent within population groups. That test focuses on what the races do not have in common. Further reading: https://sitn.hms.harvard.edu/flash/2017/science-genetics-reshaping-race-debate-21st-century/

BTW it is good to directly quote statements from source material when you claim that a source supports your position. When this is done iIt's a lot less work to verify that a source actually supports a position, and it is not much work for the source's proponent to present the supportive statements within the source (supposing the source actually does support him). People often make a claim, imply that some linked source supports their claim and try to leave it to other people to prove that the source does not support their position. I'm afraid my patience with that sort of thing has run out and I will disregard any implication that any source supports any claim unless this is done.
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@dfss9788
99.9% of the genome is the same.
Well stated.
Mesmer
Mesmer
-->
@dfss9788
This is a strawman argument. 99.9% of the genome is the same. Human genetic variation (save for weird things like trisomy) is going to be that last 0.01% of the genome. Certain parts of the genome (e.g. ancestral markers) are consistent within population groups. I'm imagining that these studies are simply focusing on things like that and aren't looking at the entire genome.
It's good that you've decided to change your argument and argue something more reasonable. This wasn't what you argued previously, but whatever.

I'll also make this point again: your study doesn't analyze the entire genome. I have no idea why you're fine with attacking all the studies I posted for not analyzing the entire genome (without reading them/the data points that are screenshotted and linked: "imagining"), but you post yours that has the same problem and argue that it's fine.

If nothing else, we've got close to a dozen studies saying one thing, and you interpreting one study another way. I think it is pretty clear who is right here.

Focus on that 0.01% difference. There is a way to measure how much you have in common with another person genetically. Select a random white person, call him "W1". Select another white person, call him "W2". Select a random Asian person, call him "A1". Test them genetically to see if W1 is more closely related to W2 or A1. 38% of the time when you perform this test, you will find that W1 is more closely related to A1 than he is to W2. This is a different test than looking at only the parts of the genome which are consistent within population groups. That test focuses on what the races do not have in common. Further reading: https://sitn.hms.harvard.edu/flash/2017/science-genetics-reshaping-race-debate-21st-century/
"You made that up and your interpretation is baseless."

I'm not interested in your interpretation of the methodology you got from the abstract (hint: the methodology isn't explained there).

They are getting the 38% number from the individual chance for loci being different/similar. if you don't want to accept that, then your word is against the dozen studies I've referenced.

BTW it is good to directly quote statements from source material when you claim that a source supports your position. When this is done iIt's a lot less work to verify that a source actually supports a position, and it is not much work for the source's proponent to present the supportive statements within the source (supposing the source actually does support him). People often make a claim, imply that some linked source supports their claim and try to leave it to other people to prove that the source does not support their position. I'm afraid my patience with that sort of thing has run out and I will disregard any implication that any source supports any claim unless this is done.
I've literally posted screenshots of the relevant data several times: 

I click on the imgur links which capture the data points and every one of them I've clicked on has zero views. You are either completely blind or a troll.

If you don't have the "patience" to click on the links, then I can't help you lol.
Mesmer
Mesmer
-->
@3RU7AL
Once again, I'll just assume everything you dropped are things you agree with:

The fact that racism existed BEFORE genetic markers were discovered eliminates the possibility that racism is caused by an awareness of genetic markers.
"Racism" is a nonsense term: Racism is a nonsense, malicious term v2.0 (debateart.com) . You need to address that fact before we continue this dialogue tree.

Nobody on the planet is disputing that HUMANS ARE DIVERSE AND INHERIT SOME CHARACTERISTICS FROM THEIR PARENTS.

You don't need a biopsy syringe to figure that one out.
Good :)

What we seem to be disputing is that LUMPING RUSSIANS AND ITALIANS AND IRISH AND GREEKS AND ALGERIANS AND EGYPTIANS INTO A SINGLE GROUP, and calling this group, "WHITE AMERICANS" IS 100% ARBITRARY.
How do you explain this obvious intra-group genetic diversity ?
They can be broken down further into those groups from "white". You've already explained it lol.

As for the "arbitrary" charge, they're genetically more similar than people of differing, broad racial categories. For example, they are more likely to be 'individualist' than 'collectivist': Population Differences in Individualism – The Alternative Hypothesis . Bamshad (2003) is great at showing 'white' is a valid racial category (and I've already explained the study to you in other threads) Human Population Genetic Structure and Inference of Group Membership (nih.gov) .

How do you explain HALF-BREEDS ?
You're not asking the question you think you're asking. 

What you're trying to ask me is: "what racial category do mixed people fit into?"

Double_R
Double_R
-->
@Mesmer
I wonder if this is you being genetically incapable of understanding racial in-group bias and the effect that it has on politics.
No, this is me recognizing that politics had nothing to do with our conversation until you realized that you were finding yourself pinned to a corner and needed to change the subject. Let’s recap, here’s your comment from post 17;

You have a false conception of race realism. Race realism is about outlining the differences between racial groups. That's it
Then in post 35 you asked me the following question which kicked off the topic of conversation we were actually having:

**if** certain racial groups had better abilities (say Jewish people with 108 I.Q. being better able to comprehend the written word -- you don't have to agree that this is true), would it be a good idea to attempt to account for that in policy?
Then we went back and forth where you responded to me in posts 37;

Is there any racial difference that, in your mind, should ever be accounted for through policy?
40;

How would such a policy, based on race, be "arbitrary?"
53;

So I've argued that:

(1) Chinese is a valid racial category
(2) The vast majority of Chinese people are lactose intolerant

Hence, when a government produces policy that aims to aid its Chinese population's lactose intolerance, this is functionally policy that is responding to Chinese genetics
& 70;

You're rejecting race realism on the grounds that you don't like what you see as the "white supremacist" talking points. That's fine and you're well within your rights to do that.

However, you are indeed a race realist because you believe human racial categories as valid concepts.
Not once in any of this posts did the subject of politics come up until post 74. As soon as you brought it up, I responded with the following in post 75:

The topic of this conversation has been whether race realism *should* play any role on government policy, so unfortunately almost nothing you argued addresses anything I’ve said.
You have been attempting to deflect the conversation ever since. If you want to change the subject and argue about the intersection of race and politics I’m fine with that, but not until this conversation is resolved or you about admit that you have nothing left to contribute to it.
Theweakeredge
Debates: 33
Theweakeredge
-->
@Mesmer
As I previously explained, much to your inabiltiy to listen, that's a stupid rebuke, it's a logical fallacy in every meaning of the word. First of all, whenever I say genetic diversity, I am talking on a scale of humanity, we can hone in on the specifics within human genes and talk about the difference there. Your comparison to chimpanzees is stupid, because comparitively the difference is night and day, we are talking about the distinction between humans. In other words, we are talking about the 1 to 4%, and the difference is minute.

Second, we are talking about a basis to claim that black or hispanic people are less intelligent or something of that measure based on genetics or inherently, if this was the case then we would see a collective difference between black and white people, which would cause this gap in intelligence, we can observe no such thing, any observation of differences in IQ cannot be acredited to genetics and have to be environmental in roots. But because I know you don't really comprehend things like this I'll put it very simply for you: 

IF black people are perform worse on intelligence tests, THEN the cause is either because of genetic drifts in intelligence, OR because of social effects upon intelligence tests or the black community.
BECAUSE, black people have more in common with white people genetically than among black people, CLAIMING such a difference being due to their genes is a fallacy.

Your argument is not the smoking gun you think it is, we can zoom in genetically speaking, and talk about soley human differences - you're being a moron. 
dfss9788
dfss9788
-->
@Mesmer

"You made that up and your interpretation is baseless."

I'm not interested in your interpretation of the methodology you got from the abstract (hint: the methodology isn't explained there).
I didn't say anything about their methodology.

They are getting the 38% number from the individual chance for loci being different/similar. if you don't want to accept that, then your word is against the dozen studies I've referenced.

Not really. There's nothing in the study that says that, and I don't see why you would look to outside studies to support an interpretation of statements within the study.

In any case, I think you may need is a bona fide external threat to get you on board for national unity. You know the Russians are always meddling in American politics, intentionally fomenting racial tensions to undermine our collective strength. That you're here doing their work for them, well now are you sure you're not working for the communists? The Chinese are always up to something with their nine dash line and other imperialist nonsense. Look what they're doing in Hong Kong. They're modernizing their military and we may go to war with them over Taiwan or something. There's no time to worry about petty racial divisions. I'd remind you that over 7,000 blacks died in Vietnam fighting the communists. It's not like they haven't done their part, and they're so poor anyway it's not like they're taking a lot out of the economy. Don't be afraid of the black people. In World War 2 in Europe when Americans came across a black soldier it was a great thing to see because they didn't have to be worried that they were on the other side. If they saw a white soldier it could be a Nazi, but everyone knew that there was no such thing as a black Nazi.

Mesmer
Mesmer
-->
@Double_R
It's baffling as to why you keep trying to respond to me when you refuse to address what I wrote.

We've already been through all the posts you've listed.

We got up to this post: Race Realism: Critical understandings (debateart.com). For some reason, you decided to drop most of the arguments in that, claiming that all of it didn't address "a damn thing" of what you wrote. Even if that were true, you'd need to show it rather than barely assert it.

If you want to stop talking about this, then fine, but don't keep harassing me with points we've already addressed when you refuse to address my last post. For the last time: I don't see any point in continuing if you can't address that post.
Mesmer
Mesmer
-->
@Theweakeredge
You've completely dropped my male-female 'more variation within than between' counterargument. Hence, you've conceded that because there is 'more variation within than between' men and women, there are no sufficient genetic differences between them to group them into the separate categories 'men' and 'women' -- a really stupid conclusion based on your stupid 'more variation within than between' logic.

As I previously explained, much to your inabiltiy to listen, that's a stupid rebuke, it's a logical fallacy in every meaning of the word. 
You've failed to show any of this.

First of all, whenever I say genetic diversity, I am talking on a scale of humanity, we can hone in on the specifics within human genes and talk about the difference there. Your comparison to chimpanzees is stupid, because comparitively the difference is night and day, we are talking about the distinction between humans. In other words, we are talking about the 1 to 4%, and the difference is minute.
This fails to address the fact that I've used your exact logic ('more variation within than between') to show that there shouldn't be grouping distinctions between chimpanzees and humans. I've shown that the difference isn't "night and day" because there is 'more variation within that between' chimpanzees and humans -- this is precisely the same logic you use to dismiss human race categories.

I'm going to link my counter-analogies again so that other people can see the ridiculous conclusions your 'more variation within than between' logic leads to: Race Realism: Critical understandings (debateart.com) .

Second, we are talking about a basis to claim that black or hispanic people are less intelligent or something of that measure based on genetics or inherently, if this was the case then we would see a collective difference between black and white people, which would cause this gap in intelligence, we can observe no such thing, any observation of differences in IQ cannot be acredited to genetics and have to be environmental in roots. 
Heritability is a thing and IQ is heritable: The Heritability of IQ – The Alternative Hypothesis .

At this stage, you're denying that evolution happened -- that everyone is precisely the same at birth despite humans evolving in different environments for different lengths of time.
Mesmer
Mesmer
-->
@dfss9788
I really don't think there's much point in discussing this with you, if you're going to drop most of what I said and respond to only one point. If you decide you want to address what I wrote, here is what I wrote: Race Realism: Critical understandings (debateart.com) .

Up to you.
dfss9788
dfss9788
-->
@Theweakeredge
Your argument is not the smoking gun you think it is, we can zoom in genetically speaking, and talk about soley human differences - you're being a moron. 
His argument is generally this:

1. People self identify as a race
2. There are genetic markers which correlate to the self identified races
3. Therefore race is not a social construct

The reality is that there are genetic markers for population groups all the time. Most of these population groups are not considered to be races and have little, if any contemporary social significance. Take, for example, genetically distinct populations within Spain:

Mesmer
Mesmer
-->
@dfss9788
His argument is generally this:

1. People self identify as a race
2. There are genetic markers which correlate to the self identified races
3. Therefore race is not a social construct
Not only is this wrong, but you've also derailed the topic I was educating weaker on.

The point of contention was that 'more variation within than between' is an argument used to invalidate human races (one that you've also made). I showed how ridiculous that notion was by using clear examples wherein that line of argument fails, as well as referencing a body of research which explains why it fails: Race Realism: Critical understandings (debateart.com) . That's the discussion we were having.

Now I will correct you in saying that I agree race is a social construct, but that doesn't mean what you think it means. Social construct in this case means that the labels we use are socially constructed. However, as I showed you with Guo, Bamshad, Colloco etc. there is real, genetic data that validly sorts into these "social constructs" (read: labels), hence proving that these labels are valid (despite being socially constructed).

Also, feel free to pick up all the points you dropped in our discussion.
dfss9788
dfss9788
-->
@Mesmer
OK. I'm afraid there's quite a bit more to "race realism" than simply that self identified races are distinguishable based on genetic tests. See, e.g., this usage dating back to 2005:

WANTED: MORE RACE REALISM, LESS MORALISTIC FALLACY

Despite repeated claims to the contrary, there has been no narrowing of the 15- to 18-point average IQ difference between Blacks and Whites (1.1 standard deviations); the differences are as large today as they were when first measured nearly 100 years ago. They, and the concomitant difference in standard of living, level of education, and related phenomena, lie in factors that are largely heritable, not cultural. The IQ differences are attributable to differences in brain size more than to racism, stereotype threat, item selection on tests, and all the other suggestions given by the commentators. It is time to meet reality. It is time to stop committing the “moralistic fallacy” that good science must conform to approved outcomes.

The first google search result for "race realism" is an article on "scientific" racism. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scientific_racism - The only entries for "race realism" on onelook.com are a direct link to the Wikipedia's scientific racism article and this:

Noun
race realism (uncountable)
    (euphemistic) Synonym of scientific racism

I'm afraid when you claim that "race realism" simply means that races are real, well that's not what race realism really is.
Double_R
Double_R
-->
@Mesmer
We've already been through all the posts you've listed.

We got up to this post: Race Realism: Critical understandings (debateart.com). For some reason, you decided to drop most of the arguments in that, claiming that all of it didn't address "a damn thing" of what you wrote. Even if that were true, you'd need to show it rather than barely assert it.
I did show it, I gave you a post by post break down of how we got here. 

The post you linked was post 89 where you talked about nothing other than the intersection of race realism and politics. Note that as I just went through painstaking detail to explain to you, post 75 was where I told you that this had nothing to do with any of *our* previous conversation. 75 comes before 89.

If you are not interested in this conversation that’s fine, just stop pretending that I’m the one who shut it down and ran away. If you weren’t interested in arguing the merits of genetics playing a role in government policy you shouldn’t have started a thread on it, and certainly should not have engaged in a conversation about it for the first three pages of your thread.

For the last time: I don't see any point in continuing if you can't address that post.
Responding to your replies to me is not harassment. You are free to run away from the conversation at any time.
Mesmer
Mesmer
-->
@Double_R
I did show it, I gave you a post by post break down of how we got here. 
No.

You went back to dig up things we talked about before.

These are all things we discussed before this post: Race Realism: Critical understandings (debateart.com) . This post is the one where you started to refuse to address my points.

Note that as I just went through painstaking detail to explain to you
Yeah and I went through "painstaking detail" to respond to all your points here: Race Realism: Critical understandings (debateart.com) .

If you are not interested in this conversation that’s fine, just stop pretending that I’m the one who shut it down and ran away.
Again, you're the one who decided to drop all my points. You're the one who shut it down by refusing to respond to all my points here: Race Realism: Critical understandings (debateart.com) . Mirroring what I am correctly accusing you of isn't convincing anyone, because we can simply look at the comments in chronical order and see that you're the one who stop responding to my points. This is not something you can lie about.

I'm not going to reward your bad behavior by continuing the conversation despite you not responding to my points. I will post my comment that you failed to respond to again Race Realism: Critical understandings (debateart.com) , and again Race Realism: Critical understandings (debateart.com) and again Race Realism: Critical understandings (debateart.com) , until you get it through your thick, bald skull that this is where the conversation is at.