Vaccine hesitant versus Anti-Vaxxer Why are they bundled into the same category?

Author: Slainte

Total: 86
Athias
Debates: 20
Athias
-->
@whiteflame

Antibody titers are common practice. Beyond that, to say that the antibody production of another individual in no way informs your own doesn't make sense to me. If production is monitored across a broad set of people over a long period of time and found to be largely consistent, then yes, doctors can actually predict what will happen in you.
No, they cannot predict what will happen to me; they can guess what could happen to me.

I don't see how this is so, since a study like this necessarily must look at individuals. If I'm monitoring the production of antibodies after the administration of a vaccine and comparing it with an individual who receives a placebo, I'm looking at two individuals, not a population. If I continue to expand that outward and see this individual dynamic is true across a very large swath of patients, then saying that the vaccine induces an antibody response in the vast majority of patients receiving it is not an ecological inference fallacy. It's absolutely not an assumption.
I agree. But that is not what I'm referring to when I state that an ecological inference fallacy has been imputed. If across a very large swath of patients, it is observed that a vaccine has induced an antibody response in the vast majority of those who received said vaccine, and the argument is, "among those who've received the vaccine (thus far,) an antibody response has been induced in the vast majority of them," that's all well and good. However, if from that very same observation, it is argued, "person X should receive a vaccine, and since the vast majority of those who've received the vaccine have produced an antibody response, it is highly likely that person X will produce either the same antibody response or a sufficient antibody response to the virus, the chances of which are equal to the proportion which the vast majority represents," then that isn't all well and good. That is fallacious. It is an ecological intference fallacy--akin to the Division fallacy. The latter conclusion, no matter how extensive or meticulous the report/study is, will be based on an assumption which uses fallacious reasoning.

Antibody titers can be quantified. The rate of production of B cells with those antibodies when challenged with the virus can be quantified. The immune response to the virus following the initial and subsequently increased production of antibodies can be quantified. As for "How strong" it would have to be, that depends on a variety of factors, including the infectious dose received and how quickly the innate immune response is recruited. That certainly complicates things to a degree, but I don't think it invalidates the value of this specific immune response being effective against the virus.
My question on its being quantifiable was not based on the antibody count, but specifically your reference to the "strength" of an immune response, which you've relented relies on a variety of factors which presumably complicate its capacity to be quantified. So let me just ask this: is it possible that an unvaccinated person can produce a sufficient immune response to this COVID-19 virus?

A bit overdramatic.
Not at all, but I concede that this is not your burden.

Well, I appreciate that. I will say that I appreciate the thought you're putting into your responses, even when I personally disagree with what you're saying.
Same here.

I concede the possibility of it. It's also entirely possible that this is a natural strain. I have yet to see substantive evidence that leads me in either direction. The link you provided tells me that there are certainly human-modified pieces of coronaviruses that have been patented. That's true of basically any virus of note, as well as a great deal of bacteria, fungi and other organisms. I don't find that this tells much of a story, personally, especially since these weren't all functional viruses that could be released into the world and actively replicate in humans. I see amino acid sequences, various protein production methods and certain modified proteins, antivirals, protein complexes, antibodies, specific RNA interference methods, and some early vaccine stuff, much of which is likely directed at other coronaviruses that were coming up around that time. Several of those, including SARS-CoV-1 and MERS, are specifically mentioned. None of this looks particularly damning to me.
So this begs the question: what would you need to see in order for it to be damning? And what benchmarks would it need to satisfy?
whiteflame
Debates: 27
whiteflame
Can mRNA be manipulated to create long-term functional changes where the mRNA message doesn't degrade within a short time frame?
I can't fathom how that could be done. If it was possible, it would be common practice in the laboratory where it is a lot more laborious to make permanent changes to the genome or to regularly make short-term functional changes. mRNA messages are, by their very nature, built to be used and discarded. You would have to change how loose, single-stranded RNA functions within a cell to achieve long-term functional changes.

The vaccine's efficacy cannot be (reasonably/logically/scientifically) controlled. Hence, the statement "covid vaccine prevents covid death" cannot be substantiated.
Proven =/= substantiated. A strong correlation among a very large population over a long period of time provides substantiation. It's not definitive proof, but claiming there is no substantiation for a claim backed up by massive amounts of correlative data (as well as a great deal of causational investigation into how the vaccine provides protection from the worst that COVID-19 has to offer) seems absurd to me, especially when you aren't offering any alternate causality.

Vaccination requires inoculation among 70% of the population (some have pushed for 90% with Covid) to be "effective" and attain herd immunity. What is the significance in the 30% differential?
I disagree. Vaccination imparts maximum effectiveness when a population reaches herd immunity. That doesn't mean that vaccination requires herd immunity to be at all effective. I'm not sure I understand the follow-up question.

I was referencing a previous statement of mine to DoubleR in response to your point about the hospitalization and death statistics. Even if we were to place significance on the total number infected and the total deaths, it would still render a 98.4% "survival rate." I put survival rate in quotes because it's ecological and fallacious. The point I'm making is not to give validity to these statistics; it's to demonstrate that even if we are to indulge these fallacious reasons, it would still not favor vaccination.
I really don't understand how noting a survival rate among people who have been infected is fallacious, especially since your argument regarding how the ecological fallacy works is applying it to subsequent populations and we're talking about the actual population of infected. As for the latter statement, again, that seems like a statement with regards to the death rate from infections not being high enough to justify vaccination, which implies that there is some threshold at which such a number would be sufficient to favor vaccination. I'm not sure what that number is, and any choice seems arbitrary.

Any focus on the mandate would require moral analysis; therefore, to avoid discussions on the morality of the subject, we have to drop the point about the mandate. I'm against it; you have mixed feelings. That alone should suffice.
I believe we agree that dropping the mandate from this discussion is warranted at this point.

And to what extent is the scope of this evidence considered? The side effects (allegedly) aren't the only things "limited to a narrow window of time."
Again, not really sure I'm understanding your point. Traces of the mRNA and translated spike protein are absent from the body after a few days. Patients were monitored for weeks and months and that remained the case. If there is something that isn't limited to a narrow window of time that is worth considering, please, elaborate.

How are long-term side effects supposed to be observed absent of a long-term?
This doesn't seem to be responsive to the point you're addressing, since the point of that argument was addressing the likelihood of such long-term side effects rather than excluding any possibility of their existence. It's possible that long-term side effects could occur. It's implausible that they would based on the established evidence.

The population data isn't relevant. It was referenced in an attempt to explain away what I presume they're concluding is a coincidence. But that's not scientific. And their investigation was influenced by the very producers of that vaccine. But you're right: I can no more say that death immediately after covid vaccine means that covid vaccine produced death, than you can say taking a covid vaccine and experiencing persistent survival afterwards mean covid vaccine prevented death.
I disagree that it's irrelevant. When a population is dying at a rapid clip due to a myriad of health issues, and a segment of that population also dies following an injection (I'll push back on the characterization that this was immediate), then there must necessarily be reason to question the causality of the injection in their deaths because alternate causality is pretty blatant. You're right that it's not scientific to say that this could easily be correlation absent causation, hence the requirement for investigation into their causes of death, regardless of who is involved. And I also disagree with your comparison to my position for reasons I've already stated.

This is part and parcel the reason "seem/appear" shouldn't be present in an argument: I am not at all stating that the studies are deficient because they're not "perfect." I'm stating the conclusions from these studies are logically inconsistent/unsound and based on fallacious reasoning. And, as I've mentioned above, even if were to indulge this fallacious reasoning, it still wouldn't favor vaccination, much less a mandate.
I include "appear" specifically for this purpose, since I recognized that I could be misstating your position and invited you to correct me. I'm not going to straw man you just because it's convenient to make a point. And, again, I think the difference here is between supporting a conclusion and proving said conclusion. You're right that the existing data is not definitive proof, but not providing complete evidence of causality does not mean that the evidence in no way supports their conclusions.

I never said Doctors couldn't monitor my personal antibody production; I said that the antibody production of another cannot inform on my own antibody production.
I believe it was your argument that the research in no way derives conclusions from the health of individuals. I'm saying that an integral element of your immune response is capable of being monitored and has been for a great deal of those who have received the vaccine. Those are individual assessments, and those assessments can be carried forward into new patients to demonstrate the positive effects of the vaccine in those patients. As for saying that looking at the antibodies of one person "cannot inform on my own antibody production", in some sense, you are correct. It can't provide 100% certainty on how your immune system will respond to the vaccine. However, the multitude of studies monitoring antibody production certainly do inform how you're likely to respond. You may not see that as valuable, but that's literally how every drug study is conducted: monitoring how many people respond to it in order to build the case that more of the population will also respond in the same manner. You clearly don't like that kind of study design, but that doesn't make it worthless.

whiteflame
whiteflame
-->
@Athias

No, they cannot predict what will happen to me; they can guess what could happen to me.
The word "guess" implies a stab in the dark, so let's work with a middle ground. They can estimate what could happen to you. I would argue that that's predictive, but I'll take your point that it's not certain.

I agree. But that is not what I'm referring to when I state that an ecological inference fallacy has been imputed. If across a very large swath of patients, it is observed that a vaccine has induced an antibody response in the vast majority of those who received said vaccine, and the argument is, "among those who've received the vaccine (thus far,) an antibody response has been induced in the vast majority of them," that's all well and good. However, if from that very same observation, it is argued, "person X should receive a vaccine, and since the vast majority of those who've received the vaccine have produced an antibody response, it is highly likely that person X will produce either the same antibody response or a sufficient antibody response to the virus, the chances of which are equal to the proportion which the vast majority represents," then that isn't all well and good. That is fallacious. It is an ecological intference fallacy--akin to the Division fallacy. The latter conclusion, no matter how extensive or meticulous the report/study is, will be based on an assumption which uses fallacious reasoning.
I think narrowing down the argument to a given "person X" isn't exactly what the general argument has been for increasing vaccination. The argument has been that a broad swath of the population has benefited in these specific ways and imparts greater degrees of protection from the virus to those around them, therefore a larger swath of the population should also be vaccinated to similarly protect themselves and those around them. I wouldn't call that a fallacious argument, and if it is, then I don't see how we apply any treatment or prevention to any population without engaging in fallacy.

My question on its being quantifiable was not based on the antibody count, but specifically your reference to the "strength" of an immune response, which you've relented relies on a variety of factors which presumably complicate its capacity to be quantified. So let me just ask this: is it possible that an unvaccinated person can produce a sufficient immune response to this COVID-19 virus?
Of course. It's not just possible, but highly likely that an unvaccinated individual will mount a sufficient immune response to eliminate the SARS-CoV-2 virus from their system, eventually. It's less likely that said unvaccinated person will mount an immune response as quickly as someone who is vaccinated. That has been tested. It is therefore more likely that the virus will spread further and cause more harm in an unvaccinated patient than in a vaccinated patient. I'm not arguing that it's the difference between having an immune response and having none, I'm arguing that it's the difference between a weaker, slower immune response (in the unvaccinated) and a stronger, faster immune response (in the vaccinated). The absence of an early antibody-based adaptive immune response in patients who have not seen the virus or vaccine before is a known deficit in patients who have not been vaccinated or infected.

So this begs the question: what would you need to see in order for it to be damning? And what benchmarks would it need to satisfy?
Another instance where I'm not entirely sure what you're asking. If you're asking what evidence would be required for me to buy that this is a lab-engineered strain with inserted genes, then I would expect to see the hallmarks of such genes. From what I've read, those hallmarks are absent. So, in lieu of that and under the assumption that scientists may have added genes without these hallmarks, I would have to see evidence that those scientists planned this out and executed it. Scientists keep lab notebooks and notes on what they do. It's plausible that they could have gotten rid of that evidence as well, in which case I will always find it difficult to accept this as damning. This is hardly the first time that a deadly new version of an existing virus suddenly got into and spread through the human population, and the kinds of changes to a virus that would lead to this exist in nature. I would have reason to be upset with researchers who didn't respect this facet of viral evolution and either chose to actively modify a virus to become more dangerous or, as I would consider more likely, simply did basic experiments with it in their lab and didn't take adequate precautions to prevent its escape from the facility. 

10 days later

sadolite
Debates: 0
sadolite
Who remembers the two week curve thing. And all that "THAT WILL NEVER HAPPEN" being said to people who said the govt will use this as an excuse to strip you of freedoms. I asked two years ago how many years will you wear a mask. I, of course was laughed at. So the question still stands, how many years are you going to live like a scared sheep.
zedvictor4
Debates: 22
zedvictor4
-->
@sadolite
I think that it's fair to say that you have a jaundiced view of the pandemic.

But who do you think is the most scared.

The one behind the mask, or the one on the ventilator.
Athias
Athias
I can't fathom how that could be done. If it was possible, it would be common practice in the laboratory where it is a lot more laborious to make permanent changes to the genome or to regularly make short-term functional changes.
So, it's your position that it can't be done?

mRNA messages are, by their very nature, built to be used and discarded. You would have to change how loose, single-stranded RNA functions within a cell to achieve long-term functional changes.
Hence, my asking, "can they be manipulated" to function beyond their given/understood nature? I'm not asking if it's difficult; I'm asking if it can be done.

Proven =/= substantiated. A strong correlation among a very large population over a long period of time provides substantiation.
In academia perhaps, but not as it concerns either logic or the empirically verifiable.

It's not definitive proof, but claiming there is no substantiation for a claim backed up by massive amounts of correlative data (as well as a great deal of causational investigation into how the vaccine provides protection from the worst that COVID-19 has to offer)
It's correlative data and causal investigations which are based on fallacious reasoning.

seems absurd to me, especially when you aren't offering any alternate causality.
It isn't my burden to offer an alternate causality since I'm neither affirming nor negating that which the vaccine does, at least with respect to its function in inoculating those from COVID-19 virus. My argument is that the vaccine cannot be proven to do as it's been described because in order to substantiate this proof, one would have to control for both the consequences of contraction and inoculation within the same sample. Anything short of that is assumption premised with fallacious reasoning.

I disagree. Vaccination imparts maximum effectiveness when a population reaches herd immunity. That doesn't mean that vaccination requires herd immunity to be at all effective.
No more than good hygiene needs "everyone to do it" to be at all effective, especially since it's the primary countermeasure to contracting infection. Using my experience as anecdotal evidence, I play contact sports with those whose vaccination status I don't know; I've been in close contact with those who contracted the virus, some of whom contracted the virus three times, even while being vaccinated. Outside of my seasonal allergies, there hasn't been a cough or sneeze from me, much less a fever since this pandemic started. And I attribute this to my practice of good hygiene (and one more thing I'll discuss below) which I've been practicing since I was a mere boy reading his mother's books on Pathology (she's a physician.)

I'm not sure I understand the follow-up question.
My question is based on the concept you put forth that everyone needs to practice good hygiene in order for it to be effective, and the concept of herd immunity. Herd immunity requires 70% inoculation to be maximally effective, and good hygiene, you allege requires practice within 100%  of the populace. What is the significance in this 30% differential?

I really don't understand how noting a survival rate among people who have been infected is fallacious, especially since your argument regarding how the ecological fallacy works is applying it to subsequent populations and we're talking about the actual population of infected. Why is this fallacious?

Because as an individual, one's chances of surviving or succumbing will always be 50/50. One either survives or dies. So I can no more say that as an unvaccinated individual, I have a "99% chance" of survival, than you can say that as an unvaccinated indivdual, I have a "XXX% chance" of dying. That will depend on one and one's condition.

As for the latter statement, again, that seems like a statement with regards to the death rate from infections not being high enough to justify vaccination, which implies that there is some threshold at which such a number would be sufficient to favor vaccination. I'm not sure what that number is, and any choice seems arbitrary.
Whenever we reference quantitative methodology, we're going to compare numbers. It is your argument that the unvaccinated are somehow "worse off" or that the vaccinated are somehow "better off" based on mortality and hospitalization rates, correct? It does not merely suffice to reference these numbers; it's extremely important how these numbers are interpreted--especially if the interpretation is based on fallacious reasoning. I agree that any numbers chosen will essentially be arbitrary, but the same could be said for its converse--i.e. any mortality rate necessitating the implementation of coerced vaccination.

Again, not really sure I'm understanding your point. Traces of the mRNA and translated spike protein are absent from the body after a few days. Patients were monitored for weeks and months and that remained the case. If there is something that isn't limited to a narrow window of time that is worth considering, please, elaborate.
My contention is, are "weeks and months" sufficient in establishing a "long-term" scope?

This doesn't seem to be responsive to the point you're addressing, since the point of that argument was addressing the likelihood of such long-term side effects rather than excluding any possibility of their existence. It's possible that long-term side effects could occur. It's implausible that they would based on the established evidence.
It's implausible that they would based on the established evidence because said evidence's scope is limited to the allotted time thus far. It's been barely more than a year since these trials started.
FLRW
FLRW

When I was in Japan in the 80's, everybody was wearing masks.
Athias
Athias
-->
@whiteflame
I include "appear" specifically for this purpose, since I recognized that I could be misstating your position and invited you to correct me. I'm not going to straw man you just because it's convenient to make a point. And, again, I think the difference here is between supporting a conclusion and proving said conclusion. You're right that the existing data is not definitive proof, but not providing complete evidence of causality does not mean that the evidence in no way supports their conclusions.
If one is misstating the position of another, then one is misstating the position of another. Whether this imputes a strawman is contingent on the conclusions drawn from this misstatement. If clarification at any point is needed, then that's something for which one can simply ask. Using "appear" or "seem" in argument is means to providing a probable misstatement while hedging against one's association with said misstatement. This is the reason it is often put on to the other person, i.e. "you seem to be," "you appear to be saying," etc, as opposed to recognizing oneself as the source of misinterpretation, i.e. "I take it to mean," or "can I assume?" or "I 'seem' to think."  I don't just bring this up with you. For as long as I've been exchanging arguments, I've always made sure to let it be known at some point that I've wagered an intifada against the use of the terms "seem/appear" in argument. Because they're really not arguments at all. Hence, some here have come to know my motto as, "seem is not an argument."

As for whether existing data constitutes definitive proof, and whether they support the prevailing conclusions, depends on the conclusions themselves. If the conclusion is "covid vaccine prevents covid death" then the evidence would not support this. Fallacious reasoning is the only thing that supports that argument.

I believe it was your argument that the research in no way derives conclusions from the health of individuals.
No, it was my argument that research using others a subjects cannot inform on my personal health, i.e. the antibody production of another cannot inform on my antibody production.

Those are individual assessments, and those assessments can be carried forward into new patients to demonstrate the positive effects of the vaccine in those patients. As for saying that looking at the antibodies of one person "cannot inform on my own antibody production", in some sense, you are correct. It can't provide 100% certainty on how your immune system will respond to the vaccine. However, the multitude of studies monitoring antibody production certainly do inform how you're likely to respond.
"Likely" which is based on fallacious reasoning. Once again, these are assumptions. And some of these assumptions may be legitimized post facto, but that is not logically consistent; that is not science.

I think narrowing down the argument to a given "person X" isn't exactly what the general argument has been for increasing vaccination. The argument has been that a broad swath of the population has benefited in these specific ways and imparts greater degrees of protection from the virus to those around them, therefore a larger swath of the population should also be vaccinated to similarly protect themselves and those around them.
But what is the larger swath of the population if not a composite of person X's? And the protection this vaccine allegedly offers has not been controlled; maybe by "academic" standards, but not by the scientific method and/or logical rigor.

I wouldn't call that a fallacious argument, and if it is, then I don't see how we apply any treatment or prevention to any population without engaging in fallacy.
One can engage fallacy by electing to take a vaccine. And concluding "prevention" is contingent on its logical consistency; hence, one cannot substantiate prevention with fallacious reasoning.

Of course. It's not just possible, but highly likely that an unvaccinated individual will mount a sufficient immune response to eliminate the SARS-CoV-2 virus from their system, eventually. It's less likely that said unvaccinated person will mount an immune response as quickly as someone who is vaccinated. That has been tested.
How has this been controlled?

It is therefore more likely that the virus will spread further and cause more harm in an unvaccinated patient than in a vaccinated patient. I'm not arguing that it's the difference between having an immune response and having none, I'm arguing that it's the difference between a weaker, slower immune response (in the unvaccinated) and a stronger, faster immune response (in the vaccinated). The absence of an early antibody-based adaptive immune response in patients who have not seen the virus or vaccine before is a known deficit in patients who have not been vaccinated or infected.
So then what advantage is there to these alleged effects of vaccination after being exposed to this virus for almost two years?

Another instance where I'm not entirely sure what you're asking. If you're asking what evidence would be required for me to buy that this is a lab-engineered strain with inserted genes, then I would expect to see the hallmarks of such genes. From what I've read, those hallmarks are absent. So, in lieu of that and under the assumption that scientists may have added genes without these hallmarks, I would have to see evidence that those scientists planned this out and executed it. Scientists keep lab notebooks and notes on what they do. It's plausible that they could have gotten rid of that evidence as well, in which case I will always find it difficult to accept this as damning. This is hardly the first time that a deadly new version of an existing virus suddenly got into and spread through the human population, and the kinds of changes to a virus that would lead to this exist in nature. I would have reason to be upset with researchers who didn't respect this facet of viral evolution and either chose to actively modify a virus to become more dangerous or, as I would consider more likely, simply did basic experiments with it in their lab and didn't take adequate precautions to prevent its escape from the facility. 
Okay.

whiteflame
whiteflame
-->
@Athias
I'm not going to get into semantics with you. Suffice it to say that if you don't like that style of presenting an argument as a means to allow the other person to clarify, then so be it, but it's how I tend to handle things I will likely continue to do the same. Carefully choosing my verbiage as a means of placing myself as the source of misinterpretation is worth a shot, but I'm not always going to be so careful in selecting my words, and I think it's still far better to suggest that a plausible misunderstanding is occurring than to state another person's position with certainty.

The rest of this just seems like it's revisiting the same points we've now talked about at length. I don't agree that it's non-scientific or fallacious in every instance to look at correlative data, especially on a very large scale, and make conclusions that infer plausible causation, especially when you can actually test for far more specific elements of said correlation (e.g. the development of antibodies and resultant activation of immune response when someone gets the virus). I really don't understand the argument that these studies cannot in any way inform how you are likely to respond to the vaccine or to the virus, but clearly, that's an area where we just won't agree. You can control for how an individual who has and hasn't been vaccinated would respond to the virus, even if you cannot control for every element of their behavior and prior immune development. If we're looking at it from that perspective, I would say that it's effectively impossible to control for every variable in any experiment once you get a sufficient number of people to make statistical inferences, which would mean that every medical study is similarly flawed.

I will, however, directly respond to this:

So then what advantage is there to these alleged effects of vaccination after being exposed to this virus for almost two years?
I'm not sure I understand the question because it's not responsive to the point you were addressing. The question presumes that a majority of the population has been directly exposed to the virus, i.e. has been infected in some way, shape or form. If it doesn't presume that, then presuming that there is no positive effect of vaccination doesn't make sense to me, because while a majority of the population may not have been exposed to the virus, a majority has been exposed to the vaccine. But if we do presume that a majority of the population has been exposed to the virus (I'd like to see evidence of that), I'd say that the big difference is in the means by which that defense is mounted. Naturally-generated antibodies can target any number of sites from the virus, and many of those sites can mutate without substantially negative effects for the virus. Vaccine-generated antibodies target a specific protein that is an essential virulence factor, changes to which can substantially impede the virus. Even for someone with effective natural antibodies, there is no harm in generating a separate set and a plausible benefit in having multiple modes to recruit immune responses.
Athias
Athias
-->
@whiteflame
I'm not going to get into semantics with you. Suffice it to say that if you don't like that style of presenting an argument as a means to allow the other person to clarify, then so be it, but it's how I tend to handle things I will likely continue to do the same. Carefully choosing my verbiage as a means of placing myself as the source of misinterpretation is worth a shot, but I'm not always going to be so careful in selecting my words, and I think it's still far better to suggest that a plausible misunderstanding is occurring than to state another person's position with certainty.
I'm not really trying to argue semantics; I'm essentially stating, "own what you say" as opposed to projecting the misinterpretation/misstatement on to the other person. But fair enough: I am in no position to dictate your verbiage.

The rest of this just seems like it's revisiting the same points we've now talked about at length. I don't agree that it's non-scientific or fallacious in every instance to look at correlative data, especially on a very large scale, and make conclusions that infer plausible causation, especially when you can actually test for far more specific elements of said correlation (e.g. the development of antibodies and resultant activation of immune response when someone gets the virus). I really don't understand the argument that these studies cannot in any way inform how you are likely to respond to the vaccine or to the virus, but clearly, that's an area where we just won't agree.
It isn't a matter of whether we "agree." I've stated to you the reasons these conclusions are fallacious, which meet the description of these referenced fallacies. I'm not stating mere opinion. Feel free to verify/falsify whether my statements coincide with these descriptions. And I understand well everything you're stating. I am saying to you that this is not enough to render these prevailing conclusions--conclusions which ought to be based on stringent scientific and/logical standards.

You can control for how an individual who has and hasn't been vaccinated would respond to the virus, even if you cannot control for every element of their behavior and prior immune development.
How?

If we're looking at it from that perspective, I would say that it's effectively impossible to control for every variable in any experiment once you get a sufficient number of people to make statistical inferences, which would mean that every medical study is similarly flawed.
But my contention isn't about controlling for variables. My contention is against the conclusion that "covid vaccine prevents covid death" has been controlled, which necessitates the observation of both a subject's death and survival. That is what's effectively impossible.

The question presumes that a majority of the population has been directly exposed to the virus, i.e. has been infected in some way, shape or form. If it doesn't presume that, then presuming that there is no positive effect of vaccination doesn't make sense to me, because while a majority of the population may not have been exposed to the virus, a majority has been exposed to the vaccine. But if we do presume that a majority of the population has been exposed to the virus (I'd like to see evidence of that), I'd say that the big difference is in the means by which that defense is mounted.
The pandemicity of this virus, and its classification as such, presumes that a majority of the population has been exposed to this virus, symptomatic or asymptomatic notwithstanding. And let's remember that vaccination started late last year, which would mean that the virus has had a year to likely spread (you stated that being unvaccinated made it more likely to spread quicker.)

Naturally-generated antibodies can target any number of sites from the virus, and many of those sites can mutate without substantially negative effects for the virus. Vaccine-generated antibodies target a specific protein that is an essential virulence factor, changes to which can substantially impede the virus. Even for someone with effective natural antibodies, there is no harm in generating a separate set and a plausible benefit in having multiple modes to recruit immune responses.
This is has been your best argument thus far. With that said, having a separate set of modes to recruit immune responses has not been substantiated as necessary, the plausible benefit of which cannot be gauged until it has been controlled.
whiteflame
whiteflame
-->
@Athias
It isn't a matter of whether we "agree." I've stated to you the reasons these conclusions are fallacious, which meet the description of these referenced fallacies. I'm not stating mere opinion. Feel free to verify/falsify whether my statements coincide with these descriptions. And I understand well everything you're stating. I am saying to you that this is not enough to render these prevailing conclusions--conclusions which ought to be based on stringent scientific and/logical standards.
I suppose where I'm having the most trouble with your argument overall is that I can't understand what standard you would use to actually make a determination that anything works if you cannot use data obtained after the fact to make those determinations. What you're effectively arguing here, as far as I can tell, is that it's impossible to make these conclusions because it's functionally impossible to meet the level of stringency required to make them. Assuming that's the case, I sincerely question how we can make any such conclusions about any preventative measure. After all, the only means we have to evaluate the degree to which a population is afforded protection from an infection is, necessarily, after the fact. We can provide all the data to support what the vaccine actually does, establish how that helps immune responses, and determine that that likely contributes to declines in infections, hospitalizations and death tolls among that population, as correlates with the data. If your argument is that that's not enough to make these conclusions, then functionally, nothing is, and I'm honestly not sure why you buy into vaccines at all if this is really your perspective.

But my contention isn't about controlling for variables. My contention is against the conclusion that "covid vaccine prevents covid death" has been controlled, which necessitates the observation of both a subject's death and survival. That is what's effectively impossible.
Again, I disagree. I think there are sufficient controls to establish that conclusion. You're effectively saying that there are other factors that could explain why death tolls are reduced among the vaccinated population, and if so, I'd honestly like to know what those are. I also don't see why observation of both a subject's death and survival is required for a study to be sufficiently controlled because, if it is, then no scientific study that assesses survival (or anything, really - you cannot simultaneously view a person in two states at the same time, including "sick" and "healthy") is sufficiently controlled. Every study is fallacious because it cannot meet the perfect standard demanded for internal controls. I'd respond to your "How?" that you gave prior to this, but if this is the standard for controls, then nothing I could say would meet it because no controls ever could.

The pandemicity of this virus, and its classification as such, presumes that a majority of the population has been exposed to this virus, symptomatic or asymptomatic notwithstanding. And let's remember that vaccination started late last year, which would mean that the virus has had a year to likely spread (you stated that being unvaccinated made it more likely to spread quicker.)
I like how you turned pandemic into an adjective, but that's not what makes a pandemic. A pandemic doesn't and shouldn't presume that a majority of the world population has been exposed to the virus at some point. It literally means that it occurs over an area that encompasses multiple countries and affects some significant subset of the populations therein. Significant amounts do not necessitate majorities. The fact that the virus had lots of time to spread before vaccination started doesn't lend credence to your claim, either. All it does is tell me that the virus infected a lot of people. I'll certainly grant you that the numbers of infected that we know about is probably quite a bit smaller than the real number of infected, but I don't grant that the actual number is greater than 50% of the population. That kind of claim requires support.

This is has been your best argument thus far. With that said, having a separate set of modes to recruit immune responses has not been substantiated as necessary, the plausible benefit of which cannot be gauged until it has been controlled.
You say "necessary", and I agree that it hasn't been demonstrated to be necessary to add this specific immune response to the natural antibodies generated by many in order to see effectiveness. I would say that it has been demonstrated to be beneficial, and I would disagree with the statement that it's solely a plausible benefit. Even if we ignore basic viral mutation as a means of evolution and the demonstrated (yes, this has been tested) importance of the mechanisms inherent to the structure of the spike protein, it's not at all controversial to say that a more rapid adaptive immune response to the virus is beneficial in viral clearance, regardless of the virus. At worst, this immune response is net neutral for someone who has already generated their own antibodies.
Athias
Athias
I suppose where I'm having the most trouble with your argument overall is that I can't understand what standard you would use to actually make a determination that anything works if you cannot use data obtained after the fact to make those determinations. What you're effectively arguing here, as far as I can tell, is that it's impossible to make these conclusions because it's functionally impossible to meet the level of stringency required to make them. Assuming that's the case, I sincerely question how we can make any such conclusions about any preventative measure. After all, the only means we have to evaluate the degree to which a population is afforded protection from an infection is, necessarily, after the fact. We can provide all the data to support what the vaccine actually does, establish how that helps immune responses, and determine that that likely contributes to declines in infections, hospitalizations and death tolls among that population, as correlates with the data. If your argument is that that's not enough to make these conclusions, then functionally, nothing is,
This means simply that the conclusions must be retooled to reflect the data, not that the data has to be made to look as though it supports a conclusion which can't be proven. If a conclusion can't be made (with sound premises) then it can't be made--its being the only means notwithstanding.

and I'm honestly not sure why you buy into vaccines at all if this is really your perspective.
Personally, I don't. I'm a proponent of practicing good hygiene as one's primary measure of counteracting the contraction of infection. But my argument isn't that vaccines don't work; my argument is that vaccines which claim to "prevent death" cannot be proven to serve this effect because there's a necessary lack of observational data.

Again, I disagree.
Once again, it isn't a matter of agreement. I'm not suggesting that "my method is 'better' than yours." I'm delineating the necessary benchmarks which produce a logically consistent and sound conclusion.

I think there are sufficient controls to establish that conclusion. You're effectively saying that there are other factors that could explain why death tolls are reduced among the vaccinated population, and if so, I'd honestly like to know what those are.
No, I have not affirmed such an argument.

I also don't see why observation of both a subject's death and survival is required for a study to be sufficiently controlled because, if it is, then no scientific study that assesses survival (or anything, really - you cannot simultaneously view a person in two states at the same time, including "sick" and "healthy") is sufficiently controlled.
Not necessarily. There are anatomical/physiological/structural certainties about the human body. It just so happens with vaccines, the effects are not certain. And this should spur skepticism not apologism.

Every study is fallacious because it cannot meet the perfect standard demanded for internal controls. I'd respond to your "How?" that you gave prior to this, but if this is the standard for controls, then nothing I could say would meet it because no controls ever could.
Not "perfect;" just logically/scientifically sound. (And I wouldn't go as far as to state "Every Study." Only the ones which claim vaccines prevent death.)

I like how you turned pandemic into an adjective
I did no such thing. "Pandemicity" is akin to "epidemicity."

but that's not what makes a pandemic. A pandemic doesn't and shouldn't presume that a majority of the world population has been exposed to the virus at some point. It literally means that it occurs over an area that encompasses multiple countries and affects some significant subset of the populations therein. Significant amounts do not necessitate majorities. The fact that the virus had lots of time to spread before vaccination started doesn't lend credence to your claim, either. All it does is tell me that the virus infected a lot of people. I'll certainly grant you that the numbers of infected that we know about is probably quite a bit smaller than the real number of infected, but I don't grant that the actual number is greater than 50% of the population. That kind of claim requires support.
Necessary is moot, since the quantification is qualified as "significant." And you're not in a position to grant anything since your conjecture is no less assumptive than mine. But even if I were for argument's sake to indulge your point in that exposure to this virus has been at 50% or less, that would still mean that at least half the population has avoided exposure to this virus for almost two years. How would that bolster the advantage of taking a vaccine?

You say "necessary", and I agree that it hasn't been demonstrated to be necessary to add this specific immune response to the natural antibodies generated by many in order to see effectiveness.
So the vaccine ceteris paribus is not necessary.

I would say that it has been demonstrated to be beneficial, and I would disagree with the statement that it's solely a plausible benefit. Even if we ignore basic viral mutation as a means of evolution and the demonstrated (yes, this has been tested) importance of the mechanisms inherent to the structure of the spike protein, it's not at all controversial to say that a more rapid adaptive immune response to the virus is beneficial in viral clearance, regardless of the virus. At worst, this immune response is net neutral for someone who has already generated their own antibodies.
All of which is based on a nebulous concept of necessary immune strength. It would be like someone invading my home, and your likening the vaccine to an alarm system as opposed to my defending my home personally (and I'm being very generous toward the effects of vaccination with this analogy.)

ebuc
ebuc
-->
@Athias
..my argument is that vaccines which claim to "prevent death" cannot be proven to serve this effect because there's a necessary lack of observational data.

This sounds nutty to me. 

Fauci, on the news just this morning, was referencing vaccine charts that estimate the number of deaths or infections  from a range of pathogens  and the range of vaccines used, historically. 

What we have is people trying to create a false narrative as the ' new truths ' over all other accepted truths and never were truths. Nutty is becoming more and more prevalent globally.  We appear to be entering a new dark age for humanity.

..."“The dark ages still reign over all humanity, and the depth and persistence of this domination are only now becoming clear. This Dark Ages prison has no steel bars, chains, or locks. Instead, it is locked by misorientation and built of misinformation.”

Carl Sagan also arriving at modern ' dark age '  sooner, rather than later as stated in one or more of his last published books. 

Mind over matter is one thing but ego over rational, logical common sense, based on evidence,  is another

Athias
Athias
-->
@ebuc
This sounds nutty to me...

...Mind over matter is one thing but ego over rational, logical common sense, based on evidence,  is another
Read through my statements--a tall task, I know--and not just respond to a single snippet after joining the discussion late. I explain the reasons for my statements.

whiteflame
whiteflame
-->
@Athias
I'll address the other responses later, though I'd appreciate clarification on this first:

Not "perfect;" just logically/scientifically sound. (And I wouldn't go as far as to state "Every Study." Only the ones which claim vaccines prevent death.)
My interpretation, flawed though it has been at times, of your words here is that you accept that many studies of vaccines have produced results you would say are logically/scientifically sound, i.e. that there are definitive conclusions you could make regarding their results. I'm not sure if that encompasses what you could say about the effectiveness of those vaccines in a broad population, and perhaps your argument is that those kinds of broader claims are impossible to support in a logical/scientific manner. However, as your argument focuses on claims that vaccines prevent death, and you have also made the following statement:

But my argument isn't that vaccines don't work; my argument is that vaccines which claim to "prevent death" cannot be proven to serve this effect because there's a necessary lack of observational data.
I interpret that as an acknowledgement that vaccines do "work" in some measurable way that can be said to apply to a broad population. Again, I could be misinterpreting, but if your argument is that only the conclusions regarding prevention of death are insufficiently supported, then what conclusions about vaccines do you acknowledge as supported by the available evidence? In essence, I'd like to know what you would argue is proven by sufficient observational data with regards to vaccines.

I might be phrasing this poorly, but I hope you'll be able to determine my meaning.
FLRW
FLRW
-->
@ebuc
..."“The dark ages still reign over all humanity, and the depth and persistence of this domination are only now becoming clear. This Dark Ages prison has no steel bars, chains, or locks. Instead, it is locked by misorientation and built of misinformation.”

That says it all!
Athias
Athias
-->
@whiteflame
My interpretation, flawed though it has been at times, of your words here is that you accept that many studies of vaccines have produced results you would say are logically/scientifically sound, i.e. that there are definitive conclusions you could make regarding their results.
No, my statement was in reference to your setting the bar to "perfect" as opposed to logically/scientifically sound. The studies I accept operate under the standards of the latter, not the former.

I'm not sure if that encompasses what you could say about the effectiveness of those vaccines in a broad population, and perhaps your argument is that those kinds of broader claims are impossible to support in a logical/scientific manner. However, as your argument focuses on claims that vaccines prevent death, and you have also made the following statement:

But my argument isn't that vaccines don't work; my argument is that vaccines which claim to "prevent death" cannot be proven to serve this effect because there's a necessary lack of observational data.
I interpret that as an acknowledgement that vaccines do "work" in some measurable way that can be said to apply to a broad population. Again, I could be misinterpreting, but if your argument is that only the conclusions regarding prevention of death are insufficiently supported, then what conclusions about vaccines do you acknowledge as supported by the available evidence? In essence, I'd like to know what you would argue is proven by sufficient observational data with regards to vaccines.

I might be phrasing this poorly, but I hope you'll be able to determine my meaning.
To the contrary. Because "necessary immune response" can't or has yet to be quantified, then the effect a vaccine is claimed to serve cannot or has yet to be measured. So if I were to harken back to my alarm system analogy, it would be like stating "without an alarm system you're XX% more likely to die from a home invasion." I'm certain that there a statistics that reflect the analysis of home break-ins. But in order to verify this claim, we must first set a control. That is, your home with the alarm system, and your home without an alarm system. Now if this claim of XX% more likely comes from exogenous empirical data--i.e. observations not from the subject--then any conclusions would necessarily impute an ecological inference fallacy:

Google Search:
An ecological fallacy is a formal fallacy in the interpretation of statistical data that occurs when inferences about the nature of individuals are deduced from inferences about the group to which those individuals belong.
Now let's for argument's sake suppose that you did get an alarm system. And someone then claimed, "the reason you haven't died in a home-invasion after getting the alarm system is because of the alarm system." This claim would necessarily impute a post hoc fallacy:

Google Search:
Post hoc ergo propter hoc is an informal fallacy that states: "Since event Y followed event X, event Y must have been caused by event X." It is often shortened simply to post hoc fallacy.
That is, because you've continued to survive (Event Y) home invasions or avoid the prospect of home invasions after getting an alarm system (Event X,) you've survived (Event Y) because of the alarm system (Event X.) This is the reason I conceded to you earlier on the point about the elderly patients in the nursing home dying immediately after their vaccine.

I cannot argue that vaccines don't work because then that would necessarily impute an argument from ignorance. That is, I cannot validate an argument that vaccines don't work because you can't prove that they do work. My argument is and has always been that the conclusions drawn from the statistics concerning the COVID-19 vaccine, especially with respect to mortality rates, are logically/scientifically inconsistent/unsound. It doesn't matter how meticulous or intuitive these statistics may be, logic is logic; science is science. And if one should claim that COVID-19 vaccine prevents COVID-19 death, then I will always ask for a logical/scientific substantiation of this claim with the pertinent controls.

ebuc
ebuc
-->
@Athias
Read through my statements--a tall task, I know--and not just respond to a single snippet after joining the discussion late. I explain the reasons for my statements.

I was reading through, and that comment stood out to me, cause I had just listen to Fauci snippet addressing what your snippet seemingly was saying.

They were opposites and I trust Fauci more than I trust your oppinion.  You may even have a long list of web sites that support your conclusion, that,

....." my argument is that vaccines which claim to "prevent death" cannot be proven to serve this effect because there's a necessary lack of observational data ".

Not according to Fauci.  What I know?  Fauci and Anthias.  Who do I trust more.  Obviously it is Fauci over you and my guess any web  sites you have to offer.

FLRW
FLRW
-->
@Athias

A polio epidemic appeared each summer in at least one part of the country, and major outbreaks became more frequent reaching their peak in 1952 in the USA, with 57,628 cases. Each summer was spent in fear of the disease. The USA population in 1952 was 156.369.000. The ratio of polio cases to population was .00037.
So I assume you think that there was no need for the polio vaccine?

Athias
Athias
-->
@ebuc
I was reading through, and that comment stood out to me, cause I had just listen to Fauci snippet addressing what your snippet seemingly was saying.
All of my statements. I don't provide isolated arguments.

They were opposites and I trust Fauci more than I trust your oppinion.
First, my argument with respect to the effect over which whiteflame and I debate has not imputed "opinion." Second, whether you "trust me" is not the subject of this discussion. And frankly, I couldn't be concerned less.

You may even have a long list of web sites that support your conclusion, that,
Not a list of websites; only logic.

Not according to Fauci. 
So?

Who do I trust more.  Obviously it is Fauci over you and my guess any web  sites you have to offer.
Once again, not a concern of this discussion.

Athias
Athias
-->
@FLRW
The USA population in 1952 was 156.369.000. The ratio of polio cases to population was .00037. So I assume you think that there was no need for the polio vaccine?
Why would you assume I think that?

zedvictor4
zedvictor4
-->
@Athias
Sorry to interject

But It would seem a fair assumption to make.

Sugar cube V needle though.....Just reinforces some previous assumptions of my own.

Only joking?
Athias
Athias
-->
@zedvictor4
Sorry to interject
Don't be sorry about something you had no intention of not doing.

But It would seem a fair assumption to make.
The question isn't whether it was "fair." The question focuses on the reason it was made in the first place.

Sugar cube V needle though.....Just reinforces some previous assumptions of my own.
Your assumption hasn't been reinforced because your assumption is lazy. Your incapacity to argue the subject on the merits of our respective positions' logical consistency has left you in some dire strait where you now intend to qualify my position by contriving some character defect on my part--i.e. an allegation of trypanophobia, a condition not only from which I already informed you I do not suffer, but also bears no relevance to the subject at hand.

Only joking?
Are you asking me if you're "only joking?" Only you'd know that.
FLRW
FLRW
-->
@Athias
Your conclusion from these statistics are based on a post hoc fallacy.  You're claiming an efficacy of vaccination simply by counting after the fact. In December of 2020, 336,802 were claimed to have died from COVID-19 in the U.S. Give or take, there are about 332,000,000 people in the United States. If we subtract the 2.8 million who were vaccinated at that point, then we'd have, give or take, 329,200,000. Now if we divide this number by the number of deaths in December of 2020, and multiply it by 100, then that is 0.102% of the unvaccinated who have succumbed to this virus. If we considered the amount of people who had remained hospitalized at that point, assuming they weren't vaccinated, then it would .0360% of the unvaccinated were hospitalized.
I based my comment on your above comment. My point is if the vaccine saves mores lives than it takes, it is worth it.
Athias
Athias
-->
@FLRW
Your conclusion from these statistics are based on a post hoc fallacy.  You're claiming an efficacy of vaccination simply by counting after the fact. In December of 2020, 336,802 were claimed to have died from COVID-19 in the U.S. Give or take, there are about 332,000,000 people in the United States. If we subtract the 2.8 million who were vaccinated at that point, then we'd have, give or take, 329,200,000. Now if we divide this number by the number of deaths in December of 2020, and multiply it by 100, then that is 0.102% of the unvaccinated who have succumbed to this virus. If we considered the amount of people who had remained hospitalized at that point, assuming they weren't vaccinated, then it would .0360% of the unvaccinated were hospitalized.
I based my comment on your above comment. My point is if the vaccine saves mores lives than it takes, it is worth it.
I thought so. This is the reason I suggest one should read my entire set of statements rather than isolating an argument as if it were made in a vacuum. I also stated this:

I was referencing a previous statement of mine to DoubleR in response to your point about the hospitalization and death statistics. Even if we were to place significance on the total number infected and the total deaths, it would still render a 98.4% "survival rate." I put survival rate in quotes because it's ecological and fallacious. The point I'm making is not to give validity to these statistics; it's to demonstrate that even if we are to indulge these fallacious reasons, it would still not favor vaccination.

Because as an individual, one's chances of surviving or succumbing will always be 50/50. One either survives or dies. So I can no more say that as an unvaccinated individual, I have a "99% chance" of survival, than you can say that as an unvaccinated indivdual, I have a "XXX% chance" of dying. That will depend on one and one's condition.
zedvictor4
zedvictor4
-->
@Athias
Don't be sorry about something you had no intention of not doing.

I like that.

One could discuss such an implication at length.