atheism is irrational

Author: n8nrgmi

Total: 618
Polytheist-Witch
Debates: 1
Polytheist-Witch
-->
@Double_R
Yes I think it's hysterical for an atheist to tell anybody in any religion how they should freaking practice that religion. And if you could care less don't freaking address it
ethang5
ethang5
-->
@Polytheist-Witch
Yes I think it's hysterical for an atheist to tell anybody in any religion how they should freaking practice that religion. And if you could care less don't freaking address it
I always laugh.
Double_R
Debates: 3
Double_R
-->
@Polytheist-Witch
Your clearly just love to throw out talking points, I suggest you read the actual points made and think about what the other person is saying before responding. I promise that will make conversations go much better.

I never suggested anything about how a Christian should practice. I made a factual case as to what the Christian is actually doing when they practice. I trust you understand that there is a difference between those two things.

And I never said I couldn’t care less about the point we were discussing, I said I couldn’t care less about what your actual position is, but rather I care about the point you are making. That, after all, is the point of a debate site.
n8nrgmi
Debates: 0
n8nrgmi
Things that do not exist cannot be asserted as the cause for other things.

Does this mean God and/or the supernatural doesn’t exist? No, it means that they cannot be asserted even as a candidate explanation until you can first demonstrate that they exist.

it looks like you're getting close to merely asserting that God doesn't exist. i dont have to prove conclusively that God exists if all i need to do is show that God existing is a good theory. it's stupid to the point of irrationality to claim that it's common to hallucinate elaborate afterlife stories when we die. do you even hear yourselves? all you guys do is assert that to you it looks like a hallucination, or a drug trip. simply asserting it's a hallucination isn't an argument. (that's mostly what ya'll do, but i also suppose i just dont buy your theories for why people just happen to hallucinate a bunch of elaborate afterlife stories... they're weak theories) comparing it to drug trips is irrational when i've shown that drug trips are completely different... those are scattershot experiences, and random imagery, not elaborate afterlife experiences. plus NDEs are studied extensively, and when researchers (who report their findings in journals) ask people to explain what they experienced out of their body, they are very highly accurate with even doctors and such to verify the stories. i realize that it's not determined to the degree either of us would like (leaving no doubt about the accuracy), but it's still strong evidence that you just choose to ignore. people who just guess what happened out of their body are way off.  plus the AWARE study showed two examples of out of body information being verified, it just isn't strong enough evidence to convince skeptics. 

you've given no good reason to assume things that look supernatural happen to atheists. like a blind person's retina being healed. if something happens to one group, praying theists, but we have no reason to assume it happens to another group, atheists.... then i'm gonna take that as plain evidence that something is special with the theists. 

i could go on and on. it really does boil down to skeptics being skeptical for the sake of being skeptical, to the point of irrationality. 
n8nrgmi
n8nrgmi
-->
@Double_R
n8nrgmi
n8nrgmi
-->
@TheUnderdog
what's the problem with believing in God but not believing all the stupid stuff that christians beleive? you have to realize that it's very strange to declare christnaity and in particular fundamentalist christianity is true... but then go ahead and say you're not a supporter, as if you reject truth. it's strange because you dont have to think that way, and you have no reason to think that way to begin with. 
Double_R
Double_R
-->
@n8nrgmi
it looks like you're getting close to merely asserting that God doesn't exist. i dont have to prove conclusively that God exists if all i need to do is show that God existing is a good theory.
You missed the whole point.

My argument on this one point has nothing to do what what is actually true, it is a critique of your method for determining what is true.

Imagine we look at Phenomenon X and determine that there are 3 possibilities (A, B, and C). Question is, which of these 3 options is the most reasonable to presume? If option A has not been shown to exist, then it is not a candidate explanation. The only explanations you have to choose from then would be B and C. If neither of those two are reasonable explanations then your answer is “I don’t know”. You have no good explanations.

Anyone can make up an answer that is sufficient to solve a problem. The only thing that sufficiency establishes is internal consistency, which tells us nothing about whether it has any tie to reality. That’s the part you need if you want to call something evidence.

plus NDEs are studied extensively, and when researchers (who report their findings in journals) ask people to explain what they experienced out of their body, they are very highly accurate with even doctors and such to verify the stories. i realize that it's not determined to the degree either of us would like (leaving no doubt about the accuracy), but it's still strong evidence that you just choose to ignore
So here we have Phenomenon X. What are our candidate explanations?

you've given no good reason to assume things that look supernatural happen to atheists.
Provide one example of a thing that looks supernatural happening to a theist.

Then, provide one confirmed example of the supernatural so that we can compare the two to see if they look like each other.
Wylted
Debates: 34
Wylted
-->
@n8nrgmi
According to the new rules, threads about atheism should take place in the philosophy section.
Amoranemix
Amoranemix
-->
@ethang5
@EtrnlVw
@n8nrgmi
@Double_R
Explanation of is not evidence for.

With NDEs, God is one of a class of explanations for which God is an explanation. They are not evidence for God because they do not indicate one explanation above another.
EtrnlVw 24 :
Perhaps you're missing the point entirely. Whether or not NDE's prove any particular relationship with any religious source is not the point. NDE's are evidence that the soul exists independent of the physical body which certainly indicates that what religious and spiritual sources have been proposing is true, or at the least there is plenty of evidence which supports the claim that a soul exists.[8] And if a soul exists then it certainly indicates that God exists, since of course.... a soul falls into the category of Theism.[9]
[8] How is that supposed to follow ? I follow as far as the conclusion that there is evidence for an immaterial soul, but your conclusion is stronger than that. How can you justify it ?
[9] You are committing a non-sequitur fallacy. That theism includes a soul does not imply that a soul implies God.

Specifically because;
- they can occur without life threatening conditions.
EtrnlVw 24 :
NDE's by definition are when a person has been declared medically, clinically dead.[10] Brain death occurs within minutes after the hearts stops beating, after the heart stops beating and there is NO brain activity is when an NDE can take place.[11]
The documentary called "I Survived Beyond and Back" introduces NDE occurrences who have been hospitalized and presents the corresponding medical facts with each case. If you are not sure, clinically dead are those who have "flatlined". These NDE's are recorded after the heart stops beating and there are no signs the person is alive. This is when the soul detaches from the physical body and freely moves outside the confines of the brain and body.[12]
[10] Clinically dead does not mean dead : www.britannica.com/topic/near-death-experience
[11] You claim that an NDE can take place when there is no brain activity. How is that ? You appear to assume the existence of an independent soul, which is begging the question.
[12] How are they recorded ? What evidence can you present that the soul detaches from the body ?

- they are culturally and personally specific to each person, rather than a single consistent deity.
EtrnlVw 24 :
I'm going to assume you have no clue why you are saying this, did you hear it from somebody else? However, when a person leaves the physical body they may have many variations of experiences, including extensions of their cultures and this doesn't work against NDE's.[13]
Variations of experience is not a negative it is what makes creation beautiful....It would be like sending ten people across the globe in various directions and assuming they should all come back with the same experience of persons, places and things.[14] Rather, the afterlife is as vast as the physical universe and perhaps much more so. Many societies that we experience here extend outside of the physical world so it is likely when a soul will exit here they will continue their relations they had with their religious affiliations and cultures. In other words souls who have certain religious backgrounds will not be forced to be in the company of other strange and unfamiliar beliefs.[15] No one would force you to leave your family and friends to go live with strangers and places you are not welcome [16] why would you think that should happen when a soul leaves the body?
When you leave the physical body you will be present in a parallel universe, you could be located in any number of places and where you go from there could be virtually any numbers of other places. A soul is not bound to anything really except for Karma, and many times it's a persons desire that dictates where they will go next.[17]
[13] It works against atheism being irrational, which happens to be this thread's topic.
[14] There is also an important difference, namely that there is no justification for making that assumption.
[15] If I understand correctly, you believe the following : If one is close to death one of the deities of one's religion comes to collect one's soul and shows one what one expects. So that is your hypothesis (which seems incompatible with most religions, including Christianity). What evidence can you present to support it ?
[16] What evidence can you present to support that claim ?
Besides, if I am Hindu, that would not require me to witness a Hindu afterlife. I could meet my acquaintances in Christian Hell.
[17] Can you present any science behind that, like scientific articles about the soul, these parallel worlds and how the soul navigates there ?

- There’s no verified example of any of these extra-corporeal experiences revealing extra corporeal information.
EtrnlVw 24 :
Lol, what is this supposed to mean? what it verifies is the proposition of the souls existence as being distinct from the brain and body. That's what we're looking for here.
You are mistaken. That is the opposite of what it means. It means that the existence of an extra-corporeal soul is merely a hypothesis.
You argue as if its existence has been established, which it clearly hasn't. The necessary steps of scientific investigation have not been concluded.

If the NDEs all showed the same God, or showed external information that would only be accessible to people if the vision were real - it would be evidence.
EtrnlVw 24 :
Typically, NDE's don't "show" God, again...I think you're missing the point besides the fact you appear to be very ignorant of such cases. [ . . . ]
Indeed. NDE's don't show God, but more importantly, they don't show the irrationality of atheism. Apparently theists judge the case for NDE's easier to make than the case against atheism.

People are reading the bible and are alienated by it.
ethang5 25 :
Untrue. This is your opinion. Most people who say they are "alienated" by the Bible held that opinion before they read the Bible.

Reading the Bible is a very dangerous thing for an atheist to do. What most do instead is read snippets online beside atheist interpretations on atheist websites. My experience has been that very few atheists actually know the Bible. They know movies and TV shows, and ignorant views from idiots like DeeDee or Stephen.
When I was searching, Jehovah's Witnesses advised me to first read the New Testament. Later I discovered why.

ethang5 to TheUnderdog :
But as I suspected, atheists will not want to talk about the thread's topic, but will instead tell us how they personally don't believe the Bible.[6]
[6] Your prediction turns out to be wrong.
ethang5 26 :
Unless you carry the plural of majesty, my prediction is still right.
You are mistaken. None of them have explained how they personally don't believe the Bible. I came here to see theists try to support the irrationality of atheism and show them wrong and I suspect other atheists did too. Alas, they won't even bother. In stead they lured atheists into debating NDE's and the popularity of Christianity.

ethang5 26 :
Just their responses here aptly demonstrate the irrationality of atheism.[7]
[7] Is that a fact or just your personal opinion ?
ethang5 26 :
It would be amazing if my personal opinion was being posted by atheists. The OP claimed atheism was irrational. Not a single atheist poster, including you, has spoken about atheism. Instead, you all   either attacked Christianity, or merely requested clarification of his argument.[8]

If any of you actually tried to defend atheism, he would quickly see that something irrational cannot be logically defended.[9] And that is why the responses here aptly demonstrate the irrationality of atheism.
[8] You are assuming that an unsubstantiated claim is an attack worthy enough to require a defense. That may be your personal opinion, but it is not mine. My personal opinion is that the burden of proof lies with the one making the claim. For some reason the OP has been unable to deliver.
Furthermore, you are mistaken. If you read the first page of this thread, you will notice several people have spoken about atheism.
[9] If theists really believed that, you would expect them to present a pertinent case against atheism to enjoy the spectacle of atheists showing their irrationality when they clumsily try to defend atheism. The problem is, for that theists would need something resembling a defensible case. Most Christians aren't the ignorant fools they pretend to be. They know presenting the best case they have would show the opposite of what they desire.

So, thank you for sharing your personal opinion with us, but skeptics prefer to believe in reality.

n8nrgmi 27 :
the central issue, is that what i presented in the opening post, is plain evidence. and atheists demand more evidence, and remain skeptics for the sake of being skeptics.
Presenting evidence is not enough. You must demonstrate your claim.

What evidence can you present to support that claim ?
[no respone]
Obviously you cannot present sufficient evidence to make your claim plausible, but what little you can present is frankly underwhelming.

[1] So you claim, but can you prove that ?
[no respone]
I thought so.

What is the idea there ? We don't understand it, therefore God must be doing it ?
[no response]
You forgot to answer my question.

If I understand correctly, your argument is the following :

P1. We don't understand the behaviour of energy in the universe.
P2. God is the explanation for everything we don't understand.
P3. In order to be the explanation for something, God must exist.
C. Therefore God exists.

Is that indeed your argument ?
[no response]
If I made arguments like that, I too would not want to draw attention to them.

Correction : apparent design.
Are you suggesting it be irrational to not be convinced by weak evidence ?
[no response]

[3] What evidence can you present to support that claim ?
You also seem to be missing that the total energy of the universe appears to be increasing as the amount of dark energy appears to be increasing.
[4] How so ?

[5] If I understand correctly, your argument is the following :

P1. We don't understand how something with an infinite ending can come from a finite beginning.
P2. God is the explanation for everything we don't understand.
P3. In order to be the explanation for something, God must exist.
C. Therefore God exists.

Is that indeed your argument ?
[no response]
[3] What a surprise.
[4] You forgot to answer my question.
[5] Have you ever considered presenting good arguments in stead ?

Intelligence_06
Debates: 167
Intelligence_06
I believe that I am the only subject that objectively exists. My conscious determines everything I think I can change while my subconsciousness determines everything that is thought to be unchangeable. In other words, I am the world, I am God.

Don't bring out the "But that is blasphemy!" no matter what. I can just think as if your religion doesn't exist.
n8nrgmi
n8nrgmi
-->
@Amoranemix
the evidence is plain, you just choose to ignore it. 

look at the totality of the evidence to concluded God. yes the design of the universe is weak evidence for God, and that alone shouldn't cause someone to believe in God. yes we can say it looks like something caused the universe but i agree it doesn't have to be called God. but if you look at all the evidences together, these arguments are icing on the cake. 

you may be right that energy is increasing in the universe. i dont know, all i know is what we see, non dark energy, where energy is decreasing. if you are correct i would have to amend my argument. it doesn't make sense that there would be a definite beginning in time and an eternal end. it doesn't and shouldn't make sense to the human mind that a one time event just happens and that's all there is too it. 

the evidence for NDEs is strong. your guys' best argument is that humans are similar so maybe a death situation would cause something biological in them all to hallucinate a bunch of afterlife stories. talk about grasping at straws. is there an afterlife gene or something in our brain that makes us believe that sorta stuff and have those hallucinations? it's ridiculous to speculate that, but it's the only way to salvage your argument. you need something more specific to explain why being dead causes a trigger of a afterlife hallucination, not just a vague theory. at this point, you all are just asserting it looks like a hallucination or drug trip, when the experiences are objectively different than anything we know. and, your best theories lack substance. ya'll think it's common to hallucinate afterlife stories when we die... it's self evidently a stupid idea, and your lack of evidence keeps it at the level of a stupid idea. 

i can show you an example of someone who is blind having their retina healed after they pray. there are lots of examples like this.  that level of inexplicable healing hasn't been demonstrated in atheists, and no one has given a good reason to assume those sorts of things happen to atheists. so we have one group of people, theists, experiences inexplicable healings while another group, atheists, do not have those things happen. you do the math. i'm gonna assume there's something special about theists... it's basic observation;  it's basic science. 

even if i can't say God is proven, if you look at all the theories together... it's a good theory that God exists. certainly enough evidence to not obliviously and irrationally argue "God doesn't exist". 
n8nrgmi
n8nrgmi
-->
@Amoranemix
it's stupid to the point of irrationality to claim that it's common to hallucinate elaborate afterlife stories when we die. do you even hear yourselves? all you guys do is assert that to you it looks like a hallucination, or a drug trip. simply asserting it's a hallucination isn't an argument. (that's mostly what ya'll do, but i also suppose i just dont buy your theories for why people just happen to hallucinate a bunch of elaborate afterlife stories... they're weak theories) comparing it to drug trips is irrational when i've shown that drug trips are completely different... those are scattershot experiences, and random imagery, not elaborate afterlife experiences. plus NDEs are studied extensively, and when researchers (who report their findings in journals) ask people to explain what they experienced out of their body, they are very highly accurate with even doctors and such to verify the stories. i realize that it's not determined to the degree either of us would like (leaving no doubt about the accuracy), but it's still strong evidence that you just choose to ignore. people who just guess what happened out of their body are way off.  plus the AWARE study showed two examples of out of body information being verified, it just isn't strong enough evidence to convince skeptics. 

EtrnlVw
EtrnlVw
-->
@Intelligence_06
I believe that I am the only subject that objectively exists. In other words, I am the world, I am God.

Be careful now, you wouldn't want to get yourself crucified lol, apparently Jesus is the only one allowed to make that claim according to Christian sources! ironically Jesus came and declared what had already been taught in many schools of religious thought. He just happened to claim it on enemy territory where such teachings were thought of as heretic and blasphemous. 
Jesus would have been just fine as a Guru lol.

Don't bring out the "But that is blasphemy!" no matter what. I can just think as if your religion doesn't exist.

Are you familiar with Hindu concepts? 

"refers to the (universal) Self or self-existent essence of human beings, as distinct from ego, mind and embodied existence .The term is often translated as soul but is better translated as "Self",  as it solely refers to pure consciousness or witness consciousness, beyond identification with phenomena."

"Atman as that in which everything exists, which is of the highest value, which permeates everything, which is the essence of all"

"That Atman (self, soul) is indeed Brahman"

"that the essence and Self of every person and being is the same as Brahman, is extensively repeated in Brihadāranyaka Upanishad. The Upanishad asserts that this knowledge of "I am Brahman", and that there is no difference between "I" and "you", or "I" and "him" is a source of liberation, and not even gods can prevail over such a liberated man."

"Whoever knows the self as “I am Brahman,” becomes all this universe. Even the gods cannot prevail against him, for he becomes their Ātma. Now, if a man worships another god, thinking: “He is one and I am another,” he does not know. He is like an animal to the gods. As many animals serve a man, so does each man serve the gods. Even if one animal is taken away, it causes anguish; how much more so when many are taken away? Therefore it is not pleasing to the gods that men should know this."

"Brahman as a metaphysical concept refers to the single binding unity behind diversity in all that exists in the universe."

"Brahman is identical to the Atman, is everywhere and inside each living being, and there is connected spiritual oneness in all existence."

John 10
30 I and my Father are one.
31 Then the Jews took up stones again to stone him.

John 14
9 Jesus saith unto him, Have I been so long time with you, and yet hast thou not known me, Philip? he that hath seen me hath seen the Father; and how sayest thou then, Show us the Father?
10 Believest thou not that I am in the Father, and the Father in me? 

John 14
20 At that day ye shall know that I am in my Father, and ye in me, and I in you.

n8nrgmi
n8nrgmi
"i conclude God doesn't exist, because when i look at evidence for God, my assumptions are that God doesn't exist"   = literally the circular way ya'll think 
ethang5
ethang5
-->
@Amoranemix
ethang5 to TheUnderdog :
But as I suspected, atheists will not want to talk about the thread's topic, but will instead tell us how they personally don't believe the Bible.[6]

[6] Your prediction turns out to be wrong.

ethang5 26 :
Unless you carry the plural of majesty, my prediction is still right.
You are mistaken. None of them have explained how they personally don't believe the Bible.
As I think any unbiased person reading this thread will see you are wrong, I can leave this point as is.

I came here to see theists try to support the irrationality of atheism and show them wrong and I suspect other atheists did too.
Yet other than ask questions about claims, you haven't once defended atheism or attacked the claim that it is irrational.

Alas, they won't even bother. In stead they lured atheists into debating NDE's and the popularity of Christianity.
Both of those tangential topics were brought up by atheists. Atheism is irrational because it is self-contradictory.

ethang5 26 :
Just their responses here aptly demonstrate the irrationality of atheism.[7]

[7] Is that a fact or just your personal opinion ?

ethang5 26 :
It would be amazing if my personal opinion was being posted by atheists. The OP claimed atheism was irrational. Not a single atheist poster, including you, has spoken about atheism. Instead, you all   either attacked Christianity, or merely requested clarification of his argument.[8]

If any of you actually tried to defend atheism, he would quickly see that something irrational cannot be logically defended.[9] And that is why the responses here aptly demonstrate the irrationality of atheism.

[8] You are assuming that an unsubstantiated claim is an attack worthy enough to require a defense. That may be your personal opinion, but it is not mine.
Then your responding here is quizzical.

My personal opinion is that the burden of proof lies with the one making the claim. For some reason the OP has been unable to deliver.
That is because atheists think delivering on the BoP means "convincing" them. My personal opinion is that no one needs an atheist's validation. They only need to present a valid argument.

Furthermore, you are mistaken. If you read the first page of this thread, you will notice several people have spoken about atheism.
Mentioning the word "atheism" is not the same as defending atheism as rational or debunking the claim that atheism is irrational.

[9] If theists really believed that, you would expect them to present a pertinent case against atheism to enjoy the spectacle of atheists showing their irrationality when they clumsily try to defend atheism.
Lol!! Our perceptions of the religion board certainly are different!

"...atheists showing their irrationality when they clumsily try to defend atheism." Is a succinct discription of what atheists do on the religion board. For those few atheists that actually try at least.

The problem is, for that theists would need something resembling a defensible case. Most Christians aren't the ignorant fools they pretend to be. They know presenting the best case they have would show the opposite of what they desire.
Ah, yes, the old atheist nugget of pretending to know the inner mind and intentions of the theist. I bet you think that is logic, hmm?

So, thank you for sharing your personal opinion with us, but skeptics prefer to believe in reality.
Reality is never irrational. Though skeptics are free to be irrational. But that discrepancy will become obvious when said skeptics enter the religion board of debate site.

Your comment,
"...atheists showing their irrationality when they clumsily try to defend atheism."

Is amazingly close to my comment, 
"If any of you actually tried to defend atheism, he would quickly see that something irrational cannot be logically defended. And that is why the responses here aptly demonstrate the irrationality of atheism."

Though I would have used the word "inept" instead of "clumsy", and you're welcome.
Amoranemix
Amoranemix
-->
@ethang5
@EtrnlVw
@n8nrgmi
@Double_R
Double_R 12 :
Things that do not exist cannot be asserted as the cause for other things.

Does this mean God and/or the supernatural doesn’t exist? No, it means that they cannot be asserted even as a  candidate  explanation until you can first demonstrate that they exist.
n8nrgmi 34 :
it looks like you're getting close to merely asserting that God doesn't exist. i dont have to prove conclusively that God exists if all i need to do is show that God existing is a good theory.[10] it's stupid to the point of irrationality to claim that it's common to hallucinate elaborate afterlife stories when we die. do you even hear yourselves? all you guys do is assert that to you it looks like a hallucination, or a drug trip. simply asserting it's a hallucination isn't an argument.[11] [ . . . ]

you've given no good reason to assume things that look supernatural happen to atheists. like a blind person's retina being healed. if something happens to one group, praying theists, but we have no reason to assume it happens to another group, atheists.... then i'm gonna take that as plain evidence that something is special with the theists.[12]

i could go on and on. it really does boil down to skeptics being skeptical for the sake of being skeptical, to the point of irrationality.[13]
[10] You are mistaken. You are supposed to demonstrate the irrationality of atheism.
[11] Claiming the hypotheses presented by opponents are stupid is not an argument either.
[12] Please provide references to the studies that demonstrate God is responsible for miraculous healings.
[13] Is that a fact or just your personal opinion ?

n8nrgmi 34 :
plus NDEs are studied extensively, and when researchers (who report their findings in journals) ask people to explain what they experienced out of their body, they are very highly accurate with even doctors and such to verify the stories. i realize that it's not determined to the degree either of us would like (leaving no doubt about the accuracy), but it's still strong evidence that you just choose to ignore
So here we have Phenomenon X. What are our candidate explanations?
We can distribute the possible explanations over three categories :
A. Nature does it.
B. God does it.
C. Some other paranormal phonomenon does it.

We know that nature exists. Where do we go from here ?

n8nrgmi 41 :
the evidence is plain, you just choose to ignore it.[14]

look at the totality of the evidence to concluded God.[15] yes the design of the universe is weak evidence for God, and that alone shouldn't cause someone to believe in God. yes we can say it looks like something caused the universe but i agree it doesn't have to be called God. but if you look at all the evidences together, these arguments are icing on the cake.[16]

you may be right that energy is increasing in the universe. i dont know, all i know is what we see, non dark energy, where energy is decreasing.[17] if you are correct i would have to amend my argument. it doesn't make sense that there would be a definite beginning in time and an eternal end.[18] it doesn't and shouldn't make sense to the human mind that a one time event just happens and that's all there is too it.[19]
[14] Of course I ignore evidence. So what ? Everyone ignores evidence. No one can take into account all evidence.
[15] OK. Let's forget for the moment that you still have the burden to demonstrate that atheism is irrational.
Should we also consider the evidence to conclude not God or ignore that ? Should we also consider the evidence we expect to observe if God or ignore that ?
[16] So you have the icing. Where is the cake ?

[17] Is the universe's decreasing non-dark energy supposed to be evidence for God ? If so, how and if so, please demonstrate it is decreasing.
[18] That doesn't make sense to who ? You ?
[19] So we don't understand the origin of the universe. Is that supposed to be evidence for God ?

n8nrgmi 41 :
the evidence for NDEs is strong. [ . . . ]
NDE's are a red herring. Read the title of thise thread to discover what this thread is about.
Suppose we were able to establish NDEs happen. Then what ?

n8nrgmi 41 :
i can show you an example of someone who is blind having their retina healed after they pray. there are lots of examples like this.   that level of inexplicable healing hasn't been demonstrated in atheists, and no one has given a good reason to assume those sorts of things happen to atheists. so we have one group of people, theists, experiences inexplicable healings while another group, atheists, do not have those things happen. you do the math. i'm gonna assume there's something special about theists... it's basic observation;   it's basic science.
Is this thread about whether theists get more miraculous healings than atheists ? No, it isn't. Suppose we were able to establish they do. Then what ?

n8nrgmi 41 :
even if i can't say God is proven, if you look at all the theories together... it's a good theory that God exists. certainly enough evidence to not obliviously and irrationally argue "God doesn't exist".
That God is a good theory is merely an assertion of yours, but suppose you are right. Is it irrational to not adhere to a good theory ?

[8] How is that supposed to follow ? I follow as far as the conclusion that there is evidence for an immaterial soul, but your conclusion is stronger than that. How can you justify it ?
[9] You are committing a non-sequitur fallacy. That theism includes a soul does not imply that a soul implies God.
[no response]

[10] Clinically dead does not mean dead : www.britannica.com/topic/near-death-experience
[11] You claim that an NDE can take place when there is no brain activity. How is that ? You appear to assume the existence of an independent soul, which is begging the question.
[12] How are they recorded ? What evidence can you present that the soul detaches from the body ?
[no response]
You forgot to answer my questions.
To be honest, I expected you would be able to provide at least a little evidence.

[13] It works against atheism being irrational, which happens to be this thread's topic.
[14] There is also an important difference, namely that there is no justification for making that assumption.
[15] If I understand correctly, you believe the following : If one is close to death one of the deities of one's religion comes to collect one's soul and shows one what one expects. So that is your hypothesis (which seems incompatible with most religions, including Christianity). What evidence can you present to support it ?
[16] What evidence can you present to support that claim ?
Besides, if I am Hindu, that would not require me to witness a Hindu afterlife. I could meet my acquaintances in Christian Hell.
[17] Can you present any science behind that, like scientific articles about the soul, these parallel worlds and how the soul navigates there ?
[no response]
[15] To be honest, I expected you would be able to provide at least a little evidence.
[16] I thought so.
[17] What a surprise.

You are mistaken. None of them have explained how they personally don't believe the Bible.[a] I came here to see theists try to support the irrationality of atheism and show them wrong and I suspect other atheists did too.[b] Alas, they won't even bother. In stead they lured atheists into debating NDE's and the popularity of Christianity.[c]
ethang5 45 :
[a] As I think any unbiased person reading this thread will see you are wrong, I can leave this point as is.
[b] Yet other than ask questions about claims, you haven't once defended atheism or attacked the claim that it is irrational.
[c] Both of those tangential topics were brought up by atheists. Atheism is irrational because it is self-contradictory.[18]
[a] Fortunately reality is independent of your thoughts.
[b] So? That atheism requires defending is your opinion, not mine.
[c] You are mistaken about NDEs. That topic was brought up by n8nrgmi, who does not appear to be an atheist. I agree an atheist brought up a diffent topic, which you chose to engage in in stead of ignoring it or steering the conversation back the the alleged irrationality of atheism.
[18] How so ?

[8] You are assuming that an unsubstantiated claim is an attack worthy enough to require a defense. That may be your personal opinion, but it is not mine. My personal opinion is that the burden of proof lies with the one making the claim.[d] For some reason the OP has been unable to deliver.
[9] If theists really believed that, you would expect them to present a pertinent case against atheism to enjoy the spectacle of atheists showing their irrationality when they clumsily try to defend atheism. The problem is, for that theists would need something resembling a defensible case.[e] Most Christians aren't the ignorant fools they pretend to be. They know presenting the best case they have would show the opposite of what they desire.[f]
ethang5 45 :
[8] Then your responding here is quizzical.

[d] That is because atheists think delivering on the BoP means "convincing" them.[19] My personal opinion is that no one needs an atheist's validation. They only need to present a valid argument.[20]

Mentioning the word "atheism" is not the same as defending atheism as rational or debunking the claim that atheism is irrational.[21]

[e] Lol!! Our perceptions of the religion board certainly are different!

"...atheists showing their irrationality when they clumsily try to defend atheism." Is a succinct discription of what atheists do on the religion board.[22] For those few atheists that actually try at least.

[f] Ah, yes, the old atheist nugget of pretending to know the inner mind and intentions of the theist. I bet you think that is logic, hmm?[23]
[8] I asked for clarification and evidence.
[19] You are mistaken. That is not the reason why I think that and you are wise enough to suspect the real reason.
[20] No. A sound, on topic argument is required. Don't worry. I won't hold my breath.
[21] Your fallacy of choice is the straw man. I have not claimed what you imply I have. Contrary to what you claimed, some atheists have spoken about atheism.
[22] Is that a fact or just your personal opinion ?
Strangely enough it would be precisely in a thread on that topic that atheists do not exhibit that behaviour.
[23] If you are sceptical of my claim, then surely you have reasons why, unless your scepticism is irrational, which I would dislike to believe.
No, I don't think that is logic.

ethang5 45 :
Reality is never irrational. Though skeptics are free to be irrational.[24] But that discrepancy will become obvious when said skeptics enter the religion board of debate site.

Your comment,
"...atheists showing their irrationality when they clumsily try to defend atheism."

Is amazingly close to my comment,
"If any of you actually tried to defend atheism, he would quickly see that something irrational cannot be logically defended. And that is why the responses here aptly demonstrate the irrationality of atheism."[25]
[24] That is kind and tolerant of you, but I'll pass. You too may feel free to be irrational.
[25] Do you expect people to believe you find that amazing ? No, you don't.

Ramshutu
Debates: 43
Ramshutu
-->
@EtrnlVw
So let’s cut through the substantial mess above.

I wanted to first correct you on some things:

Specifically that some drugs, specifically ketamine and LSD that change brain chemistry  can indeed invoke similar feelings and experiences within NDEs - not the entire experience - but the same feelings of connectedness.

Out of body experiences - one aspect common, but not universal - can also be triggered out of NDEs, they’re also not specifically real - tests that would confirm the reality by showing a picture in a location visible by an out of body person, but not their body - have failed to show anything.

Likewise - while EEGs - which measure brain activity at the surface are shown to be flat in various scenarios; this is not the complete absence of all activity - other ways of measuring show bursts of neural activity before death.

So In this respect, the only two examples you gave that are indicative of the experience being real - are not valid.

The best explanation for these events; is that the brain goes through a process when it dies; that involves various low level neutral activity; the brain interprets this in a way shaped specifically by your experiences and memories; because they shape the connections in your brain. The experience is a collection of various perceptions, many of which are similar to - and even the same as - other forms of experience. Or in other words, indicating what is happening is not far outside the expected behaviour in other extreme circumstances. 

Importantly- there are no key indicators that demonstrate that the event is true or real:

- Perceptions of things the person should not be able to see
- Knowledge Gained of things the person should not be able to know.

ethang5
ethang5
-->
@Amoranemix
[a] As I think any unbiased person reading this thread will see you are wrong, I can leave this point as is.
[b] Yet other than ask questions about claims, you haven't once defended atheism or attacked the claim that it is irrational.
[c] Both of those tangential topics were brought up by atheists. Atheism is irrational because it is self-contradictory.[18]

[a] Fortunately reality is independent of your thoughts.
Is that why you tell us your thoughts when we ask for reality?

[b] So? That atheism requires defending is your opinion, not mine.
Then your responding here is quizzical.

[c] I agree an atheist brought up a diffent topic, which you chose to engage in in stead of ignoring it or steering the conversation back the the alleged irrationality of atheism.
Atheists can ONLY debate the existence of God. Any theistic topic gets devolved to the existence of God by atheists. It is a waste of time trying to keep them on topic.

[18] How so ?
Atheism contradicts itself. Self-contradiction is self-evudently irrational no?

[20] No. A sound, on topic argument is required. Don't worry. I won't hold my breath.
What ever you hold, you don't hold the keys to what is required or whether it is sound.

Contrary to what you claimed, some atheists have spoken about atheism.
Not one, including you, has defended atheism.

No, I don't think that is logic.
No wonder it's in your toolbox.

[24] That is kind and tolerant of you, but I'll pass. You too may feel free to be irrational.
Ethan is not a liberal. Irrationality is not an option for him. You go on though.

[25] Do you expect people to believe you find that amazing ?
No, I expect them to find it amazingly close to my comment,

No, you don't.
Your skill at observation is impressive.
Double_R
Double_R
-->
@n8nrgmi
"i conclude God doesn't exist, because when i look at evidence for God, my assumptions are that God doesn't exist"   = literally the circular way ya'll think 
It’s literally how the default position works. That’s why science is based on methodological naturalism.
n8nrgmi
n8nrgmi
there isn't enough evidence to be an atheist 
Ramshutu
Ramshutu
-->
@n8nrgmi
That’s the type of silliness theists tell themselves to make them feel better about all the evidence they can’t deal with....
Ramshutu
Ramshutu
-->
@n8nrgmi
I don’t even know where to begin.

Start to finish. I can get you from an expanding region of space time and energy all the way to you and I discussing the origins of the world with only a few small leaps of chemistry; and almost everything else along the way being demonstrable, and with no need for any divine intervention.

The only place where God is needed; is in the ultimate origins of the universe, a problem which God only answers with something that has an even more complex and impossible to explain origin - and then telling you not to worry about it’s origin.

The God Hypothesis is unnecessary.

I can demonstrate that religious claims fuelled by supposed divine knowledge have been invariably and systemically wrong from the first rudimentary sun worship and human sacrifice, all the way to the claims of biblical creation and Christianity; and while the combined sum of exploitable knowledge about the universe that came from God or religion since it’s inception has been 0; the entire backbone of the last 500 years of human advancement has been built upon the assumption that magic, miracles and the super nature does not exist

The God hypothesis has failed to be predictive.

The entire concept of God in religion, that life is some sort of weird test designed by a hyperintelligent superbeing, which infinite rewards and punishments are awarded based on finite actions all revolving around a scoring system that even true believers are unable to agree upon; actually makes no logical sense, with substantial metaphysical holes, ethical issues and flat out contradictions that it can be discarded.

The God hypothesis is incoherent.

Various Gods in various stages of human history appear to have been borrows, repurposed, embellished, redesigned and reworked from previous religions; giving common themes and patterns that make it appear religions have evolved through descent with modification - a cultural meme in the true Dawkins definition of the word - rather than being divinely inspired.

The God hypothesis appears to be the product of humans - not from revelation.

Humans have unrivalled capacity for self delusion, imagination, invention, hallucination; religious experience of all types is always firmly dependent on cultural beliefs and knowledge; with personal experiences of God from all different religions reveal contradictory or mutually exclusive information such that at least some people have the capacity for their brain generate a false religious experience - if our brains have the capacity to generate false religious experience, then all religious experiences could likely be false.

The God hypothesis appears to be the product of our brain.

zedvictor4
Debates: 22
zedvictor4
-->
@Ramshutu
@n8nrgmi
There are two basic premises.

Chance....(AKA GOD principle).

Purpose...(AKA GOD principle).

Fast forward several billion years to about 2000 years hence, and WE develop rational theism/deism.

Me thinks not.

Me thinks that WE create a GOD in our own image....(AKA rational atheism).
Double_R
Double_R
-->
@n8nrgmi
there isn't enough evidence to be an atheist 
You either don’t understand what evidence is or don’t understand what atheism is.

The problem is of course that you understand both of these, so this comment demonstrates your ultimate flaw - this isn’t about reason and logic. The quote made you feel good, so you put it out there. That speaks volumes about your approach and why you ultimately believe the way you do.
Deb-8-a-bull
Deb-8-a-bull
A bunch of BLOKES start a game called., 
A god thing DOES EXIST.     
These guys form a group called . The god does existesis. 

And then all of a sudden,  BAMMMMMMMMMMMMM  another group forms. 
Now these guys have a belief  in. 
Yes you guessed it, 
There is a man god in the sky that exits.    
Wtf you say, that TWO  " religious groups "    ALARM BELLS START RINGING. 
No actuality  they don't. 
Moving on

Two groups ,  They are  EXACTLY THE SAME but just different. 
So we have two groups of  lets call then . ( Theists ) 

And then ANOTHER GROUP COMES TOGETHR . 

Fuk. 
Another group of people that believe in a god. 

ONE HUNDRED THEIST GROUPS LATER. 

Up pops Johnny  and his like NO.
No i don't  believe  in a God thing.   (   a sentence  never used before ) 

(   Johny gets a group up and running  ) 
HELL NO. 

Try if you will.  Picturing   a group of PEOPLE  " Forming "    a group of people  that DO NOT. BELIEVE  IN THE GOD THING THAT YOU LOT ARE ON ABOUT. 
  ( DO NOTTERS  believe in a godderers. )     
The Atheists.  

This group of people that have neved grouped before . 
Never been witnessed. 

Picture it. 

The atheist have to be the worst bloody " GANG GROUP "  

THEY DON'T DO WEEKLY MEETINGS 
THEY'VE NO  CLUBHOUSE. 
Abso BLOODY hopeless week group. 
Atheists  have no  CODE. 

And get this.
There biggest flaur  ( floor )  by far. 
The Atheist   °¤•°¤•°¤ •  {   DO NOT   }  °▪•▪°▪•▪°•▪°
Thats DO NOT.    SING SONGS TOGETHER.

Atheists have next to none skills when it comes a good old GROUP SING SONG SING ALONG.  

Im still trying to find the  healthy ( recommend number of group songs to be sung a year. ) 

Ive gone to far now hey? 
Ok, I'll stop 
Wankers. 

Good game
Good game.

And the rules for the game of . ( we believe a god thing exists )  is.   
Please  Take your time in prep of this what i can only asume as .   ( "Evidence gathering period ")  feel free to grab another few thousand years to prove God exist.  

NOT 
A
PROBLEM.  
Deb-8-a-bull
Deb-8-a-bull
It feels like a group of theists back in the day held a fun christian carnival weekend.  and  a part this wild and wacky weeken they announce the (   WINNING   NAME / THE " TITLE ) "  FOR THEM PEOPLES THAT DON'T BELIEVE IN GOD.  COMP.

It is looking like
( THE GODY MC GOD FACES.)   Will be what the name that describes.   (
A person and or persons  and "others"  that doesn't bdlive in any god  " WHAT SO EVER "  any of our many GREAT gods 

It feels like. 
Because of you guys. 
I'm a  Atgerist., 
Is that it? 
A algewrsit.  
Archaeologists. 
THE ATHEIST. 

YOU THEISTS  START A GAME. 
NEXT THING YOU KNOW IM THOWN IN THE OPPOSING  SIDD  PLAYING AGAINST YOU LOT. 

BUT YOUVE NO TIME CLOCK. 

THE Gane is there for you guys  to win.    
Open goal.m
All you guys have to do is.
Get one of these god things of yours .
WE WILL RUN A FES TESTS AND SHIT, 
Run a few numbers  , AND GO FROM THERE. 

Just show us a God . 
Just one . 

Show us a God.

Just kidding.
This first 5000 years of trying to prove a good  exist has been FLAT OUT . 
GOD SPEED  if you will. 

TAKE YOUR TIME. 
Were are cool. 
There is no RUSH. 

None whatsoever.   

Andddd
PLAY.
Deb-8-a-bull
Deb-8-a-bull
Perhaps we should look into reopen project.  ( PROVE A GOD DOES  NOT EXIST  REAL )  
As i believe the theists aint even looking for him anymor.  
Polytheist-Witch
Polytheist-Witch
I don't have to prove anything it has nothing to do with proof. Atheist don't want religion to be practiced because they don't do it it's as simple as that it's basic bigotry.
n8nrgmi
n8nrgmi
-->
@Double_R
You either don’t understand what evidence is or don’t understand what atheism is.

The problem is of course that you understand both of these, so this comment demonstrates your ultimate flaw - this isn’t about reason and logic. The quote made you feel good, so you put it out there. That speaks volumes about your approach and why you ultimately believe the way you do.

atheists have a rebut able presumption.  good evidence is provided by theists. bad evidence, or no evidence, is provided by atheists to rebut. that's why i say there's insufficient evidence to be an atheist. 

we see people die and come back to tell afterlife stories. we see out of body events being described highly accurately under scientific study. atheists have no good evidence to say what's happening is anything other than what we observe... the best they have are vague theories, but with scant science attached to it. 

we see praying theists with inexplicable healings but we have no evidence that these things happen to atheists... atheist healings as far as i can tell are always explicable. all we have is atheists telling us to assume the same things happen to them too. 

this is very plain evidence provided by theists. yes it's possible to remain a skeptic, but it goes against the evidence... it's skepticism for the sake of skepticism. you cant come up with coherent counter theories, cause you  just dont understand science or logic. 
n8nrgmi
n8nrgmi
the evidence theists provide indicates something. they indicate that there's an afterlife and that miracles happen to theists. i can understand if someone wanted to remain a skeptic, as if they needed more evidence to embrace the conclusions fully. but to pretend there's no evidence for the supernatural or God or any of that, is objectively wrong. that's why atheism is irrational.