atheism is irrational

Author: n8nrgmi

Total: 618
n8nrgmi
Debates: 0
n8nrgmi
-->
@Double_R
i'll break it down for you. people die and tell us of the afterlife. how is that not evidence for the afterlife? i can see insisting that the afterlife isn't proven, or that you want more evidence to embrace the conclusion, or that you like alternative interpretations of it... but how can a sane person say there's no evidence for the afterlife? 
FLRW
FLRW

The concept of the God opiate was started by early man when he was looking at his rotting leg and three dead children.

n8nrgmi
n8nrgmi
"people die and tell us of their afterlife experience" this is a fact. i realize ya'll like to poke holes in it, but it's still a fact. a stubborn fact. i think ya'll can't deal with it, cause it's so blatantly clear evidence that contradicts your worldview. 
FLRW
FLRW

Consider that undergoing anesthesia completely suppresses consciousness. If one posits the existence of an immaterial soul which survives bodily death, how do they reconcile that the immaterial soul cannot even experience consciousness when one is under anesthesia?

n8nrgmi
n8nrgmi
analogy. if someone provides evidence that the speed of light is constant, the default position isn't that they're bullshitting you. the best position is that, maybe, the speed of light is constant. it's okay to be skeptical, but the default position isn't always the most skeptical position. and it's irrational to argue the speed of light isn't constant when presented with evidence that it is. 
FLRW
FLRW

Seth MacFarlane, the creator of "Family Guy" and the odious teddy bear Ted has said this: "Stay away from the church. In the battle over science vs. religion, science offers credible evidence for all the serious claims it makes. The church says, ‘Oh, it’s right here in this book, see? The one written by people who thought the sun was magic?’ I for one would like to see some proof that there is a God. 

FLRW
FLRW

Bill Gates has said he's "pretty much an atheist" and that belief in a god "makes zero sense." 

n8nrgmi
n8nrgmi
-->
@FLRW
a person isn't dead when they're under gas. people experience the afterlife when they die... so maybe they have to be dead to experience it. pretty straight forward though... you have to be dead first before you can experience the afterlife. 
FLRW
FLRW
"I died from an overdose for a few minutes. There really wasn't anything. Just blackness and a vague lapse of time. It was almost like waking up from a shitty night's rest and feeling like a horse had kicked me in the chest."
th30xygen

"They told me I was dead for three minutes. I remember those clips of people saying they experienced some kind of near-afterlife, but for me it was like sleeping. I woke up, they told me how I almost died, I said, 'Oh yeah?' They explained a bunch of stuff and then offered me a grilled cheese...I had Doritos too. 10/10 would die again, it's just nothingness, not scary at all."
zackkorth

"I don't remember any of them. Been declared dead three times and not once did I remember anything during death."
Amihuman159
BigPimpDaddy
Debates: 5
BigPimpDaddy
-->
@FLRW
BULLSHIT YOUR EVIDENCE IS ROM FUCKING REDDIT DUMBASS
Sum1hugme
Debates: 37
Sum1hugme
-->
@n8nrgmi
How is any of that evidence for a god? 

You don't know that what you're seeing is supernatural.

NDE's happened to Hindus, that doesn't make them evidence of the Hindu gods existence. People hallucinate when they're about to die.

How do you know that a person is being possessed by a demon?

Entropy decreasing in the universe is not indicative of a God.

We know that humans evolved. If you want to think of us as meat robots that's okay, But it seems like we can choose with some freedom, within the bounds of our evolution.

All intelligent design arguments are fallacious.
Double_R
Debates: 3
Double_R
-->
@n8nrgmi
people die and tell us of the afterlife. how is that not evidence for the afterlife?
Evidence is comprised of two elements; validity and necessity. Validity is an either/or, necessity is a scale.

NDE’s are contain neither.

They’re not valid because we’re talking about an “after”… “life”, which by definition, occurs when a person is dead. If a person is dead then they cannot tell us anything about what happened to them.

They are also invalid at least for any specific god or conception of an after life because everyone who experiences them experiences something different. So there is no god you use them to support without cherry picking the NDE’s that help your case and dismissing the rest.

When it comes to necessity, let me start by saying it all depends on your standards. You can call anything evidence, but where is your threshold for what qualifies?

For me, from necessity standpoint what qualifies as evidence is that which is more easily explainable by the conclusion than alternatives. Call it a 50/50 test.

NDE’s fail that test because they’re more easily explainable by natural means. We know that unusual things such as hallucinations happen when the brain is under duress, we know that we have a strong tendency to see what which we want to see, and we know that nearly everyone who experiences an NDE experiences the one that lines up with their own faith. NDE’s fit perfectly within everything we understand about how the human brain works. Conversely, we know nothing about the supernatural.

Thus, invoking the supernatural to explain NDE’s is a complete violation of Occam’s razor. That’s the literal opposite of evidence.
n8nrgmi
n8nrgmi
-->
@Double_R
all you've shown is that you are good at creating elaborate theories to deny basic observation, basic evidence. ockam's razer is that if people die and tell us of the afterlife, the most simple explanation is that they died and experienced the afterlife. you have a tendency of defining yourself to be right by definition... "nothing can't exist outside the universe" "the supernatural can't exist".  i can relate to thinking experiencing the afterlife is too good to be true, but that's what it looks like. and, all your counter ideas for why it's not authentic experience, is that you have a hunch. that's all the skeptic counter arguments amount to, a hunch. there's scant science attached to it. read 'evidence of the afterlife' by dr long or read studies on out of body experiences... we have lots of science on the pro authentic side, and mere hunches with scant science attached to it on the anti authentic side. 

per your counter points. you say it's too subjective to be authentic... that's just a weak theory, a hunch. plus, it ignores that almost everyone who has the experience believes in the afterlife afterwards, even if they didn't before the experience. and the large majority of atheists who have the experience end up believing in God. (those who dont change just didn't get any insight into the matter.... it's pretty much never the case that a theist becomes an atheist or that an atheist gains knowledge that there is in fact no God) plus experiencing God is common (along with Jesus experiences, i might add), experiencing a wide array of religions is so rare that i doubt you can even provide hardly any examples of it. so it's not as subjective as you claim it is, is what i'm getting at. but even if the experience is subjective, it all revolves around an afterlife experience, which nothing we know of drugs dreams hallucinations etc, doesn't replicate. i've said it many times, but the idea that we hallucinate elaborate afterlife stories when we die, is as stupid an idea as it comes.

FLRW
FLRW
-->
@n8nrgmi

What language do they use in the Afterlife?
n8nrgmi
n8nrgmi
-->
@FLRW
usually people who experience say they all communicated telepathically 
FLRW
FLRW
-->
@n8nrgmi

Transferring conscious linguistic thought from one person to another requires that both persons speak the same language. So you are saying that we can only transfer images telepathically if we don't know the other sources langauge. So we could see God flooding the Earth, but we couldn't hear him explain why.
n8nrgmi
n8nrgmi
-->
@FLRW
telepathy is where thoughts are transferred or automatically known between people. i'm not sure why you are going on this detour of calling it transferring languages, which no one ever says is telepathy. it looks like u r just being difficult, obtuse. but i guess it's possible u just aren't very knowledgeable about this stuff. 
FLRW
FLRW
-->
@n8nrgmi

Your low intellect can't see the big picture.
FLRW
FLRW

Outside of parapsychology, telepathy is generally explained as the result of fraud, self-delusion and/or self-deception and not as a paranormal power.  Psychological research has also revealed other explanations such as confirmation bias , expectancy bias , sensory leakage , subjective validation and wishful thinking .
Amoranemix
Amoranemix
-->
@ethang5
@n8nrgmi
[a] Fortunately reality is independent of your thoughts.
[b] So? That atheism requires defending is your opinion, not mine.
[c] You are mistaken about NDEs. That topic was brought up by n8nrgmi, who does not appear to be an atheist. I agree an atheist brought up a diffent topic, which you chose to engage in in stead of ignoring it or steering the conversation back the the alleged irrationality of atheism.
[18] How so ?
ethang5 47 :
[a] Is that why you tell us your thoughts when we ask for reality?
[b] Then your responding here is quizzical.
[c] Atheists can ONLY debate the existence of God. Any theistic topic gets devolved to the existence of God by atheists. It is a waste of time trying to keep them on topic.
[18] Atheism contradicts itself. Self-contradiction is self-evudently irrational no?
[a] You may guess three times.
[b] Interesting, but your bewilderment is off topic.
[c] You are mistaken again. I am an atheist and have debated other topics. I have also observed other atheists debate other topics.
[18] How is atheism self-contradictory ?

[8] I asked for clarification and evidence.
[19] You are mistaken. That is not the reason why I think that and you are wise enough to suspect the real reason.
[20] No. A sound, on topic argument is required. Don't worry. I won't hold my breath.
[21] Your fallacy of choice is the straw man. I have not claimed what you imply I have. Contrary to what you claimed, some atheists have spoken about atheism.
[22] Is that a fact or just your personal opinion ?
Strangely enough it would be precisely in a thread on that topic that atheists do not exhibit that behaviour.
[23] If you are sceptical of my claim, then surely you have reasons why, unless your scepticism is irrational, which I would dislike to believe.
No, I don't think that is logic.[d]
ethang5 47 :
[20] What ever you hold, you don't hold the keys to what is required or whether it is sound.
[21] Not one, including you, has defended atheism.
[d] No wonder it's in your toolbox.
[20] You are right. I don't hold the keys to a sound argument for atheism being irrational. No one does.
[21] So what ? I pointed out the fallacy you committed and the mistake you made.
Again, that atheism requires defending is your assumption, not mine.
[22] Thank you for sharing your personal opinion with me, but I prefer to believe in reality.
[23] Irrational skepticism is common among Christians.
[d] Dude, I don't use the criterion of something not being logic as a prerequisite for putting things in my toolbox. You are confusing your desires with reality or projecting.

[24] That is kind and tolerant of you, but I'll pass. You too may feel free to be irrational.
[25] Do you expect people to believe you find that amazing ? No, you don't.[e]
ethang5 47 :
[24] Ethan is not a liberal. Irrationality is not an option for him. You go on though.
[25] No, I expect them to find it amazingly close to my comment,
[e] Your skill at observation is impressive.
[24] Ethan plays the irrational Christian well.
[25] Fascinating.
[e] Thanks. Despite it not being logic, it is a useful tool sometimes.

n8nrgmi 50 :
there isn't enough evidence to be an atheist
Is that a fact or just your personal opinion ?

[14] Of course I ignore evidence. So what ? Everyone ignores evidence. No one can take into account all evidence.
[15] OK. Let's forget for the moment that you still have the burden to demonstrate that atheism is irrational.
Should we also consider the evidence to conclude not God or ignore that ? Should we also consider the evidence we expect to observe if God or ignore that ?
[16] So you have the icing. Where is the cake ?

[17] Is the universe's decreasing non-dark energy supposed to be evidence for God ? If so, how and if so, please demonstrate it is decreasing.
[18] That doesn't make sense to who ? You ?
[19] So we don't understand the origin of the universe. Is that supposed to be evidence for God ?
[no response]
[14] Another red herring. What surprise !
[15] You forgot to answer my questions.
[16] How silly of me to conceive that you would foresee a cake with your icing.
[17] Another red herring. Who would have thought that ?
[18, 19] You forgot to answer my questions.

Is this thread about whether theists get more miraculous healings than atheists ? No, it isn't. Suppose we were able to establish they do. Then what ?
[no response]
I could have guessed that you would not have brought it up if there was a relevant point to it.

That God is a good theory is merely an assertion of yours, but suppose you are right. Is it irrational to not adhere to a good theory ?
[no response]
You forgot to answer my question.

n8nrgmi 59 to Double_R :
atheists have a rebut able presumption.   good evidence is provided by theists.[27] bad evidence, or no evidence, is provided by atheists to rebut.[28] that's why i say there's insufficient evidence to be an atheist.[29]

we see people die and come back to tell afterlife stories. we see out of body events being described highly accurately under scientific study. atheists have no good evidence to say what's happening is anything other than what we observe... the best they have are vague theories, but with scant science attached to it.[30]

we see praying theists with inexplicable healings but we have no evidence that these things happen to atheists... atheist healings as far as i can tell are always explicable. all we have is atheists telling us to assume the same things happen to them too.[31]

this is very plain evidence provided by theists.[32] yes it's possible to remain a skeptic, but it goes against the evidence... it's skepticism for the sake of skepticism.[33] you cant come up with coherent counter theories, cause you just dont understand science or logic.
[27] Good evidence is irrelevant. Good on topic evidence would be relevant, but alas, no one can provide that for some reason.
[28] On what grounds do you classify the evidence provided by theists as good and the evidence provided by atheists as bad ? Your bias, perhaps ?
[29] The problem is that you are unable to demonstrate a correspondence between your sayings and reality.
[30] We see a Christian presenting a red herring to distract from the fact that he doesn't have a case. What else is new ?
That atheists ought to be able to explain NDEs is an ASSUMPTION of yours. Assumptions must be demonstrated. Go ahead !
What is your explicit theory for NDEs ?
[31] OK. You admitted that you know of no studies that demonstrate that God is responsible for miraculous healings. What studies can you show then ? How about ones that show that miraculous healings happen more often to theists than to atheists ?
[32] Is this thread about NDEs ? No. Is this thread about miraculous healings ? No. Again, read this thread's title to discover what it is about.
[33] Is that a fact or just your personal opinion ?

Here is some evidence that atheism is not irrational : In a thread with the title 'atheism is irrational' Christians are unable to present any evidence for that claim. If atheism were truly irrational, then surely there would be evidence to support that ?

Something Christians are missing is that atheism is expected to have less evidence than theism because it is more specific.

Suppose there are 26 potential beliefs : A, B, C, … Z, standing for no god (A) belief and the belief in each of 25 mutually exclusive gods. Suppose each of these beliefs are equally supported by evidence. So A, E, P and Y are equally well supported and equally likely. Consequently, A is unlikely and, taken together, all the other beliefs (theism) are much better supported. However, any specific theistic belief is also poorly supported. D, O and T are just as unlikely as A. Hence if belief in A is irrational because it is unlikely, then so is any other specific theistic belief. The only rational belief would then be one of agnosticism.

Assuming all hypotheses are equally supported, the only theists that could rightfully call atheists irrational (i.e. less irrational than themselves) would be the vague theists and that is assuming it is irrational to believe something poorly supported by evidence. Most theists on the other hand believe in specific gods.

n8nrgmi 59 :
the evidence theists provide indicates something.[34] they indicate that there's an afterlife and that miracles happen to theists.[35] i can understand if someone wanted to remain a skeptic, as if they needed more evidence to embrace the conclusions fully. but to pretend there's no evidence for the supernatural or God or any of that, is objectively wrong. that's why atheism is irrational.[36]
[34] Indeed. It indicates they don't have a case.
[35] The problem is that the existence of an afterlife or miracles are extraordinary claims. Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence, not indicative evidence.
In 1950ies there were in the USA many reports of flying saucers with hammer and sickle symbols. That indicates that already back then the Soviets mastered flying saucer technology.
[36] How is that supposed to follow ?

n8nrgmi 59 :
"people die and tell us of their afterlife experience" this is a fact.[37] i realize ya'll like to poke holes in it, but it's still a fact. a stubborn fact. i think ya'll can't deal with it, cause it's so blatantly clear evidence that contradicts your worldview.
[37] Is that so ? Then please demonstrate that fact.

n8nrgmi 59 to Double_R :
all you've shown is that you are good at creating elaborate theories to deny basic observation, basic evidence. ockam's razer is that if people die and tell us of the afterlife, the most simple explanation is that they died and experienced the afterlife.[38] you have a tendency of defining yourself to be right by definition... "nothing can't exist outside the universe" "the supernatural can't exist". i can relate to thinking experiencing the afterlife is too good to be true, but that's what it looks like. and, all your counter ideas for why it's not authentic experience, is that you have a hunch. that's all the skeptic counter arguments amount to, a hunch.[39] there's scant science attached to it. read 'evidence of the afterlife' by dr long or read studies on out of body experiences... we have lots of science on the pro authentic side,[40] and mere hunches with scant science attached to it on the anti authentic side.
[38] Of the thausands of UFO observations that were investigated, how many do you think turned out the have the simple explanation, the one perfectly in line with Ockham's Razor, that those were alien craft flown by aliens ?
[39] You are mistaken. Others have also presented counter-evidence, that you have skillfully ignored.
[40] Great. Please present that science.
Is that science limited to reports of afterlife experiences or is there independent scientific evidence ?

FLRW
FLRW
-->
@Amoranemix

Extremely well stated.

n8nrgmi
n8nrgmi
-->
@Amoranemix
"Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence, not indicative evidence."

indicative evidence is still evidence. i can respect not being a theist, but declaring that there's no evidence for God is irrational. 
n8nrgmi
n8nrgmi
-->
@FLRW
just because you have trouble being coherent or accurate doesn't mean i have a low intellect
FLRW
FLRW
-->
@n8nrgmi

However, I think your statement  "declaring that there's no evidence for God is irrational" does.
n8nrgmi
n8nrgmi
In my first book I had nine lines of evidence for the reality of near-death experiences. What’s most persuasive to me as a physician-researcher is a little bit different than the lines of evidence that are most persuasive to the public. The public is very persuaded by a near-death experiencer who was totally blind from birth and yet had a highly visual NDE—it was the first time she ever saw. And they are also persuaded by out-of-body experiences. In a little over 40 percent of my surveys, NDE’rs observed things that were geographically far from their physical body, that were way outside of any possible physical central awareness. Typically, someone who has an NDE with an out-of-body experience comes back and reports what they saw and heard while floating around, it’s about 98 percent accurate in every way. For example, in one account someone who coded in the operating room had an out-of-body experience where their consciousness traveled to the hospital cafeteria where they saw and heard their family and others talking, completely unaware that they had coded. They were absolutely correct in what they saw. These types of out-of-body experiences are very persuasive to a lot of people.

n8nrgmi
n8nrgmi
-->
@Amoranemix
" You are mistaken. Others have also presented counter-evidence, that you have skillfully ignored."

what evidence am i ignoring? i think the most specific anyone has gotten is to argue that all humans are similar in design, and that there's a survival gene, therefore they claim that it's to be expect that we hallucinate elaborate afterlife stories when we die. talk about jumping to conclusions. and this argument lacks specificity in science.... they dont show an afterlife gene or something in our brain, all they do is say it's possible to draw on science to explain NDEs. all this stuff boils down to, is a hunch. it lacks science. whereas, 'evidence of the afterlife' is great evidence, as well as all the studies published in journals about out of body experiences being accurate. it's also just common sense, which ya'll lack... to not think that it's common to hallucinate a bunch of elaborate afterlife experiences when we die, if there's no good evidence to justify that argument. 
n8nrgmi
n8nrgmi
another piece of evidence is that experiencers almost always see relatives when dead, and almost never see someone who is still living. it's possible people just have a strong connection to their families and automatically think of the dead when dying... but if this was just a brain going hay wire, we'd expect lots of random people in the experience, both living and not living. the consistency of this is good evidence. 
n8nrgmi
n8nrgmi
another good piece of evidence is that when experiencers are surveyed, they say their 'life reviews' are always accurate, 100% of the time. if this was just a brain going hay wire, we'd expect lots of false memories.

i think this also goes along with the idea that if this was a brain going hay wire, people would experience lots of random images, like a hallucination or dream. instead, they see lucid clear after life experiences that they have no doubt about and that are more real to them than their earthly lives. 

also, people often see images in their life review, that they've long forgotten. it's not as likely just a brain going hay wire if it's showing the whole life even the forgotten stuff. 
Deb-8-a-bull
Deb-8-a-bull
Atheism is irrational.  
Fair enough. 

So ummmmmm,   What are you guys talking about ?
Oh
Your Talking about what happens when one dies . 
I see. 

After you guys finish  figuring out what happens when we die. 

We will get back to  laughing at the stupid  irrational atheists. 

n8nrgmi
n8nrgmi
it's also good evidence that the same sorts of NDEs happen to people who have never heard of these experiences, and to children who are too young to know about it either. 

it's also good evidence, that across all cultures, the themes in the experiences happen the same. that is, tunnels, light being, life  reviews and such... all these things happen at the same rate regardless of country or culture. i realize humans are similar, so the argument that we just have similar experiences is possible. but if this just a brain going hay wire, it wouldn't be so consistent and would be a lot more like random images or random experiences.