atheism is irrational

Author: n8nrgmi

Total: 618
Athias
Debates: 20
Athias
-->
@zedvictor4
Is rational that which occurs as a result of standard physiological processes?......Whatever they are.

How would you define rational Mr A?
This isn't a Dilko comic, "Athias" will do just fine.

Google Search:
based on or in accordance with reason or logic.

What actually is and isn't rational?
You want me to compile a list of everything that is or isn't rational? The abridge version would simply delineate that you stray away from "sugar-free" foods and sodas, Justin Biber, and claims of "nonexistence."
Polytheist-Witch
Debates: 1
Polytheist-Witch
Quoting bigots to back up atheism is like Christians quoting the Bible. 
zedvictor4
Debates: 22
zedvictor4
-->
@Polytheist-Witch
Another statement that needs a little clarification Poly.
zedvictor4
zedvictor4
-->
@Athias
Take Poly's above statement for example.

Presumably Poly regards her words relative to her thoughts, as rational.

But in as much as I don't understand what Poly is trying to say, then her words don't seem rational to me.

So who is deemed to be correct?

Or are we both being independently rational?

Can your verdict be any more or less rational?

This is based on the uncertain understanding that all three of us, fit a fairly standard physiological profile.
Athias
Debates: 20
Athias
-->
@zedvictor4
Take Poly's above statement for example.

Presumably Poly regards her words relative to her thoughts, as rational.

But in as much as I don't understand what Poly is trying to say, then her words don't seem rational to me.
It's not a difficult decipher. Only four users on this page employed quotes; only two of them quoted other people; and just one of them used that quote to back up their atheism. I can reasonably assume that Polytheist Witch was making a reference to FLRW's quoting Albert Einsten.

So who is deemed to be correct?
Whoever provides a statement that is in accordance with reason and/or logic.

Or are we both being independently rational?
Whichever meets the description.

Can your verdict be any more or less rational?
No. It's rational or irrational; quantification is irrelevant.

This is based on the uncertain understanding that all three of us, fit a fairly standard physiological profile.
You're uncertain that the three of us are human? And how would that be relevant?

zedvictor4
zedvictor4
-->
@Athias
Yep.

We are in agreement.

As we all presume to produce statements in accordance with our own reason and logic.

Meeting our own requirements of description.

Standard human physiology.......I'm making a rational guess that  your misinterpretation was rationally deliberate.

11 days later

Envisage
Debates: 3
Envisage
-->
@n8nrgmi
I would hedge my bets that the demonstrably irrational and easily delusional human mind is a better explanation for NDEs than the alternative that you offer.

If that is the best evidence you have for the existence of God then atheism is perfectly rational.
Double_R
Double_R
-->
@n8nrgmi
if it's commonplace for people to die and tell us they experienced the afterlife, the simplest solution is that that's what happened.
I already explained to you in detail why this is wrong. Do you have any thoughts on the points that I made, or are you just going to continue pretending I never made them while you repeat the same talking point?

but that it's so widespread, philosphically it's just stupid to say people are consistently dying and hallucinating elaborate afterlife stories.
Instead of repeating your claim that “it’s just stupid”, please provide rational thought explaining why. What evidence do you have to rule out hallucinations, and how does the frequency of them qualify to you as an argument against it?

even if a person doesn't think actual afterlife stories are being told as the simplest solution to what's happening, you'd have to ignore all the evidence
You have yet to establish how anything you are pointing to qualifies as evidence. Most notably, you completely disregard necessity, the most basic concept of evidence.

there are enough of these anecdotes to show a theme, though, it's repeatable and highly accurate, and there's no way to explain how these people know what happens out of their body when they are dead

What it shows is the law of truly large numbers (Google it). There are something like 8 billion people on the planet and billions more that have walked the earth over the past few decades and centuries. Of course you are going to have multiple anecdotal examples of anything people are looking for, and proof of the afterlife is arguably the most sought out thing is human history.

You also continue to claim that this is repeatable, seeming to have no idea what the word means. Repeatability means you can go to a lab right now and run the same experiment and get the same result. Of course however, you can’t. The story of the person hearing the conversation in the next room for example is neither repeatable nor verifiable. We have nothing but the word of those involved, and could never scrutinize their story in any way. That’s not science, that’s the opposite of science.
FLRW
Debates: 0
FLRW

Jimmy Swaggart, American televangelist and gospel music performer. He was defrocked by the Assemblies of God in 1988 after a sex scandal involving prostitutes.

Pastor Jim Bakker spent 8 years in jail.

Praise God!
Polytheist-Witch
Polytheist-Witch
-->
@Envisage
LOL.  
Polytheist-Witch
Polytheist-Witch
-->
@FLRW
Well if Jimmy did it every theist must have too. Makes sense.
FLRW
FLRW
-->
@Polytheist-Witch

Why would God want someone like them to represent Him? Shouldn't He have given them strokes or heart attacks instead of a lot of money?
EtrnlVw
EtrnlVw
-->
@Double_R
Do you have any thoughts on the points that I made

Because there is no reason for him to discard his premise for one you have made up. Doesn't matter if he addresses your speculations or not, other than to simply appease you. His argument is fine, it is no less valid then your speculations. If his argument fails, he could then consider your speculations as a valid rebuttal. If you want to face the reality that NDE's are what they are, you won't need to speculate so as of yet, he has the stronger hand. In other words, he doesn't have to speculate anything, the evidence IS what it suggests.

Instead of repeating your claim that “it’s just stupid”, please provide rational thought explaining why. What evidence do you have to rule out hallucinations,

Simple, it's stupid because the nature of hallucinations are nothing like the observations of NDE's. I've went over this before, but I doubt anyone considered what I wrote. We can compare symptoms of hallucinations and brain damage and see clearly they are not vivid, normal conscious experiences. Now, you could argue that NDE's are not a normal experience but that's only from our perspective of being in the physical body....however the actual conscious observations are very normal albeit in a different environment.

It's also insulting to otherwise intelligent people to disregard their understanding of what it is like to have clear conscious experiences as compared to a disorder. Everyone knows what it is like to be alive and have normal conscious experiences as it's a fact of what we are, when someone leaves the physical body they know what they are experiencing, they know they are not having an altered conscious experience or some type of a malfunction. To suggest they are, is simply more speculation. So again, he is justified in simply dismissing speculations as stupid albeit it is his opinion. In other words there is no sufficient reasoning for him to abandon his opinion.

and how does the frequency of them qualify to you as an argument against it?

Repeatability. NDE's worldwide can be considered as a whole under investigation, the repeatable event is what makes it even more convincing and not likely a bunch of people hallucinating things. I mean should that have to be explained to you?? hallucinations are classified as mental disorders, and can be caused by drugs and the misuse of foreign chemicals. An NDE is not a mental disorder and there is no reason to believe such an uneducated speculation. The more common they are (which they are) the more it is evident they are what they are.

You have yet to establish how anything you are pointing to qualifies as evidence.

Lol, should the definitions of evidence be provided to you too?

Of course you are going to have multiple anecdotal examples of anything people are looking for, and proof of the afterlife is arguably the most sought out thing is human history.

Most NDE's are revealed from folks with no awareness or interest in the afterlife or a soul. They simply report their conscious experience just as they observed it. More speculation on you part, everything you assume here is speculation at it's finest. I've posted links many times to a great documentary which highlights valid testimonies and correlates them with medical facts that were involved in each case. All the individuals in this documentary were clinically dead and hospitalized. So the witnesses who observed what it is like to leave the physical body were under the care of medical staff. Again it is called "I survived Beyond and Back". 

You also continue to claim that this is repeatable, seeming to have no idea what the word means.

Perhaps you aren't getting it, this isn't a science experiment where we have access to materials that are used under examination. With NDE's, we have access to thousands and thousands of the same nature of events that can be scrutinized and learned from. The same event has been repeated over and over in every culture of the world. NDE's can't be repeated as an experiment of course, the circumstances are deadly....however the event has been repeated again and again. It has happened over and over.....that is what he means by repeatable.

Repeatability means you can go to a lab right now and run the same experiment and get the same result. Of course however, you can’t.

LOL, you didn't think that through very well did you?

We have nothing but the word of those involved

Yes, testimonies are defined as evidence. Evidence is also recognized as a testimony. Testimonies are clearly defined as "firsthand authentication of a fact : EVIDENCE"

and could never scrutinize their story in any way.

Why not? we have access to countless testimonies of the very same event under question that can be considered and investigated. What we don't want to do unnecessarily of course, is base our arguments entirely on speculations and sweep them under the rug as hallucinations. That would be stupid. So, what we have is a large data base of evidence, which clearly correlates with the proposition of a soul and an afterlife. Let me repeat that.....we have a claim and evidence that supports the claim.

EtrnlVw
EtrnlVw
-->
@Envisage
I would hedge my bets that the demonstrably irrational and easily delusional human mind is a better explanation for NDEs than the alternative that you offer.

You mean "the alternative" to accept them for what they are? I would think the alternative would be to speculate they are products of a delusional mind.

But of course you need to believe that simple human observation is a product of a delusional mind when it comes to any observations that coincide with a theistic proposition or anything spiritually related. There is no alternative explanation to NDE's accept flat out speculation, ignorance of mental disorders and lack of investigations of actual NDE testimonies.

If that is the best evidence you have for the existence of God then atheism is perfectly rational.

Lol, it's an alarming piece of evidence that suggests and supports that the soul exists (independent of the physical body) as reported by Theistic propositions. It's simply a reality for you to consider that the claim of a soul and an afterlife has evidence. You can disregard it of course, which you will but just know sweeping evidence under the rug is a bad idea. It's not rational to accept speculation when you decide what is delusional based on your own worldview and ideas. That will limit your own potential for truth.
There are many ways in which to conclude God exists, at the very least God's existence is likely. NDE's are simply one piece of the puzzle, there are many pieces however. 

FLRW
FLRW
-->
@Polytheist-Witch

Elon Musk reportedly asks Tesla managers who don't execute orders to 'resign immediately,' according to leaked emails.

Why doesn't God do the same to his clergy?

Polytheist-Witch
Polytheist-Witch
-->
@FLRW
I don't believe God randomly just gives people heart attacks and strokes and things. You're actually entitled to be an a******. And the people that are going to be more sorry than him are the ones that don't come out against him and criticize him and allow him to steal from Christians who are supposedly their brothers and sisters. They're the ones that are going to have a hard time.
Polytheist-Witch
Polytheist-Witch
-->
@FLRW
The same reason freaking racist dude bros get the dominate Heathenism, the gods don't get the randomly drop people dead I don't know why you think they do I know you have this hang up like every person that dies God specifically sat down pointed them and said okay you drop dead now but it doesn't really work like that.
Double_R
Double_R
-->
@EtrnlVw

Simple, it's stupid because the nature of hallucinations are nothing like the observations of NDE's.
Provide a link comparing the physiological processes of hallucinations to NDE’s.

So again, he is justified in simply dismissing speculations as stupid albeit it is his opinion.
It’s all speculation. We don’t know what NDE’s are, so the only question is what is most reasonable to believe. Most atheists like myself take the simplest explanation; that such experiences are a product of the human brain. Theists tend to accept something very different; that they are the result of one’s consciousness leaving their body and going to some supernatural realm of reality which we have no access to. That is almost by definition the more complex explanation, which by definition makes it irrational to accept over the simpler  alternative. So no, he is not justified.

LOL, you didn't think that through very well did you?
Here’s a wild idea, instead of smug and ignorant condescension, provide an actual response to what I just said.

NDE's can't be repeated as an experiment of course, the circumstances are deadly....however the event has been repeated again and again. It has happened over and over.....that is what he means by repeatable.
I don’t care what he means, we’re talking about science. Science requires experimentation. Experimentation requires a controlled environment so that alternative explanations can be properly ruled out. This is the entire reason why repeatability matters in science, so that others can perform the same experiment and get the same results.

What you guys are talking about are randomized events that cannot in any practical sense be recreated in a controlled environment to be properly studied. That’s the opposite of repeatability in any scientific sense.

Yes, testimonies are defined as evidence. Evidence is also recognized as a testimony. Testimonies are clearly defined as "firsthand authentication of a fact : EVIDENCE"
Testimonies are evidence of what one experienced.

We’re talking about what caused the experience.

If someone tells you they witnessed Bill shooting John - and John lay dead with a bullet hole in him - we might question the accuracy of the testimony but we don’t generally question what caused the testimony. Clearly the cause was the witness observing a murder.

If the witness however claims to have watched John’s ghost leave his body and fly to heaven, that changes what we are justified in accepting about it at the outset. The question is no longer whether the witness’s recount was accurate, but whether he or she witnessed anything at all as opposed to the experience being a product of their brain.

So, what we have is a large data base of evidence, which clearly correlates with the proposition of a soul and an afterlife.
You can’t claim X correlates with Y when you have no evidence that Y exists.

Something must be demonstrated to exist before it can be put forward as a valid explanation for something else. You are putting the soul and afterlife forward as your explanation for NDE’s, yet NDE’s are also your evidence for the existence of a soul and/or afterlife. That’s inherently circular, which is inherently irrational.
n8nrgmi
n8nrgmi
We say ndes r proof of an afterlife... We don't say that the afterlife is proof of ndes. Thought I'd clear up that strawman up first. But by your logic u think brain chemicals r proof of ndes and u think ndes r proof of brain chemicals. Circular
n8nrgmi
n8nrgmi
-->
@Double_R

Double_R
Double_R
-->
@n8nrgmi
We say ndes r proof of an afterlife... We don't say that the afterlife is proof of ndes. Thought I'd clear up that strawman up first.
I never said the after life is your proof of NDE’s, I said the afterlife is your explanation for NDE’s.

Like I said, X can’t be or forward as a candidate explanation for Y until X has been demonstrated to exist.

If there is no demonstration of an afterlife, then you must assume it which is a huge leap in logic, making it a complex assumption. But the way you avoid having to assume it is to claim it’s been demonstrated. So how have you demonstrated the existence of a soul out afterlife? NDE’s. And how do you justify your claim that the afterlife is the simplest explanation for these experiences? Because we already know there’s an afterlife. In other words they are substantiating each other. That’s circular.

But by your logic u think brain chemicals r proof of ndes and u think ndes r proof of brain chemicals. Circular
There’s nothing circular about my position. Brain chemicals are observed and then correlated to the point of predictability when it comes to the impacts we observe in the abilities and behavior of human beings. This is all logic 101 on how to establish a causal relationship.

n8nrgmi
n8nrgmi
-->
@Double_R
you do a lot of merely asserting stuff. 

"There’s nothing circular about my position. Brain chemicals are observed and then correlated to the point of predictability when it comes to the impacts we observe in the abilities and behavior of human beings. This is all logic 101 on how to establish a causal relationship."

i'm not saying that you're claims have absolutely no basis to them, but they are circular. you say brain chemicals explain all experience that are known to science, therefore you claim that brain chemicals must explain NDEs. when we ask you what do NDEs indicate, you claim they indicate brain chemicals. it's blatantly circular, but you merely assert it isn't. 

"And how do you justify your claim that the afterlife is the simplest explanation for these experiences? Because we already know there’s an afterlife." 

no one is making that claim. i said an afterlife is the simplest solution, because there's no science behind the idea of hallucations, just hunches. there's no after life gene or anything in our brain that causes this that we know of. you assert it's chemicals, but no known chemicals causes people to have such vivid afterlife stories. and it's not uncommon for many people to experience elaborate afterlife stories when they die. complete mystery as to how our body would cause it but you assert it's obvious that that's what's going on. 

but that's just the philsophical points that's wrong with your argument. you go even further and ignore a whole book of evidence about the afterlife and assert there's not a shred of evidence. it's more than just a law of big numbers causing out of body experiences to be so accurate... they are almost always accurate, whereas just guessing what happened out of one's body is almost always wrong. you just ignore this. it's almost always the case that only dead people are met in NDEs and it's almost always family members.... if this was a hallucination that likely wouldn't be so consistent, but you just ignore it. blind people dont just start seeing when they have an NDE, but you just ignore this point. (but i adknowledge that even i'm skeptical, cause i dont know how a brain would process something they've never experienced before) there's no reason young kids and people who've never heard of NDEs would experience the exact same thing as everyone else,,, you just assert that it's what's happening though. i could go on and on line by line with all the evidence that you irrationally assert isn't evidence. 

Polytheist-Witch
Polytheist-Witch
Not sure about irrational but it's immature af.
Bones
Debates: 30
Bones
-->
@Polytheist-Witch
Immature? How so?
n8nrgmi
n8nrgmi
philosophically, if it's common for people to experience elaborate afterlife stories when they die, that's prime facie evidence that an afterlife might exist. even if i were to admit that an afterlife isn't most probable... it's objectively possible based on the evidence. that's why it's objectively irrational to say there's not even evidence for an afterlife. 
Stephen
Stephen
-->
@FLRW
Why would God want someone like them to represent Him? Shouldn't He have given them strokes or heart attacks instead of a lot of money?

Or hemorrhoids
Double_R
Double_R
-->
@n8nrgmi
you say brain chemicals explain all experience that are known to science, therefore you claim that brain chemicals must explain NDEs. when we ask you what do NDEs indicate, you claim they indicate brain chemicals. it's blatantly circular, but you merely assert it isn't. 
I never said brain chemicals must explain NDE’s, I literally said we don’t know what causes them. What we are disagreeing on is what is the simplest explanation, a concept you understand very well since you repeatedly make clear that this is your position on NDE’s. Just apply the same thing to my argument and now you understand what I’m saying.

More importantly, it’s not circular. We know brain chemicals exist because we observe them. We can and have taken people’s brains apart and studied its composition. We have hooked people’s brains up to machines and watched as different parts react to different stimuli. It is *from there* that we are able to deduce explanations for various phenomenon and build a model of how the brain works and its capabilities. There is nothing circular about this.

no one is making that claim. i said an afterlife is the simplest solution, because there's no science behind the idea of hallucations, just hunches
This is the classic example of an argument from ignorance. Science is a method of understanding reality. The only thing “there’s no science” supports is a lack of a conclusion. Your argument amounts to nothing more than “we don’t have a link between hallucinations and NDE’s, therefore they are a product of an afterlife”

you assert it's chemicals, but no known chemicals causes people to have such vivid afterlife stories. and it's not uncommon for many people to experience elaborate afterlife stories when they die. complete mystery as to how our body would cause it but you assert it's obvious that that's what's going on.
It’s not a complete mystery, we know the brain can produce visions. We’ve all experienced dreams, and we know the brain can hallucinate. You continue to argue that NDE’s are somehow different, but they’re not. They might (emphasize *might*) be more specific and more life like to those who experience them, but that’s a difference in degree not a difference in type. This is why it remains the simplest explanation. 

you go even further and ignore a whole book of evidence about the afterlife and assert there's not a shred of evidence.
Let me start by addressing the semantics behind the word evidence. By definition, it means “that which can make a person believe”. This essentially makes it a tautology; if you believe X because of Y, then X is evidence. So if you believe aliens are visiting earth because the sky is blue, then the sky being blue qualifies as evidence for aliens.

When folks like myself say there is no evidence, that’s because we’re invoking standards as to what qualifies, and the most basic qualifier is validity. Therefore if something is not valid, it’s not evidence.

Your examples do not qualify because they are not valid, for many reasons. First of all because they are all anecdotal, which is to say they are a bunch of scenarios cherry picked because they fit the narrative.

Second, none of them were studied and verified under any type of controlled environment.

Third, because the proposed explanation for them has not yet been shown to itself exist.

Fourth, because none of them point to one explanation *over the alternative*. This is what the term necessity refers to, and it’s probably the most important concept to understand about evidence.

A thousand invalid examples does not amount to one valid example. So no, this does not qualify as evidence.
n8nrgmi
n8nrgmi
-->
@Double_R
u just keep ignoring all the evidence. the only way for you to be right, is for the evidence to be fabricated. i've shown evidence that blind people see in NDEs and ive shown that out of body experiences are highly accurate in what they report. it's more than just a really big number where sometimes people get it right.. it's a really big number where when measured, people almost always get it right.  all the other lines of evidence are at least consistent with people visiting an afterlife, but really it's more than just consistent given it's not plausible for the alternatives to be true. for example, it shouldn't be the case that people only hallucinate family and dead people... if all it is is a hallucination, it shouldn't be so consistent. you fail your own test. the alternative hypothesis/explanation isn't shown the be best. why do you keep ignoring this stuff? i'd think you'd at least engage my specific evidence but you avoid it like a disease. 

also, you keep harping on validiity and repeatability but you just dont like the 'degree' by which NDEs are shown to be valid or repeatable. anyone can measure all the evidence i've shown, and reach the same conclusion... plus many people consistently experience this, another aspect showing repeatability. just because you can't go to a lab and do all this stuff, doesn't mean it's absolutely not repeatable. at the very least it's circumstantial evidence, but you irratinoally would call circumstantial evidence not evidence just because it doesn't fit your agenda. also, per validity... these things are shown to be consistent and they on their face show evidence for what we argue... by definition when people r dying and say they're experiencing the afterlife, that's evidence for the afterlife. all you can do is irratinally assert it isn't. also, all the lines of evidence i've shown are accurate we should assume, so that adds to the validity too. it may not be valid to a degree to which you like, but validity is established. 

i'm not just arguing from ignorance, everything i am arguing is based on evidence. ignorance arguing has no evidence and rests completely on speculation. the opposite of what i'm doing. 
zedvictor4
zedvictor4
-->
@n8nrgmi
You're overlooking the simple fact that NDE's are internally generated imagery.

AKA hallucinations.

Albeit, real enough physiological phenomena.

Reading more in to it is an extraneous exercise....An attempt at alleviating human fear and anxiety..

n8nrgmi
n8nrgmi
-->
@zedvictor4
you're like one of those christians that like to say God is real because the bible says he is. i'd say that's how weak your argument here is, but sadly your argument is even weaker than that.