It is presumptuous to think you know anything about God.

Author: janesix

Total: 99
Deb-8-a-bull
Debates: 0
Deb-8-a-bull
-->
@janesix
Well it's only commen sense that god doesn't exist.  

Buttttttttttttttttttttt.
It would be presumptuous and rude to fire out with a ( God does not exist. ) 
So, Dunno. 

PASS.

I wish there was like a middle answer. 
Something along the lines of.
A .  (  God exist ) 
B.  (  Dunno ) ____  or  B .  (  stuffs me  ) 
C.  (  God doesn't exist )

As a half blood atheist.  I feel toats fine with.  ( I don't know )   being the answer.

Wence this question with a middle ground  is put to a theist. 
BAMMMMMMMMMM   
Their ▪°•▪°•▪°•  presumptuous  ▪°•▪°•▪°•  KICKS IN. 
presumptuous ism kicks in
Pre sumtuous izum kicks in. 
Its always ( GOD EXISTS ) full stop. 

Them pre sump basartds.

Deb-8-a-bull
Deb-8-a-bull
An example of this pure mind numbing   "pre sumpt "  is. 

Every person on this site in a religious group, is " in fact " in the CORRECT religious group. 
Ask em. 

So
(  THEISTS ARE FREAKISHLY AND ABSOLUTE BRILLIANT AT PICKING ummmm  (  THE CORRECT  RELIGIOUS GROUP  )  aka ( pre sumpt ) 

Because it can't be. 

(  being in the " correct " religious  group may very well feel much along the lines of being in a " incorrect " religious group. 

Lets say there is one thousand different religious groups to choose from.  
Its sooooooo ( pre sumpt ) to think you are going to nail your group selection straight of the bat. 

Toats pre sumpy...
Deb-8-a-bull
Deb-8-a-bull
There is no.  " Finding middle ground " with such highly active theistic presumptuous glands. 

Example. 
Age of the earth.  
One says 4.5 billion. 
The other 10,000

So Turning on my  " Finding middle ground calculator 8800s " . With  theistic bias turned up to a favorable  wopping  (  75 %   ) 

Loading, 8,1

Could we both agree that the Earth is  ( One million )  years old. ?

Could discussion move on and around this?

The Atheist should have no trouble with this.
The theist on the other hand does not have this luxury.  They are dancing a fine enough line as it is with this  ( BLACK CLOUD OF UNCERTAINTY  ) That already looms over head. 
That being ..............    DO I HAVE THE REQUIRED 101 GOLD COINS TO ENTER INTO HEAVEN. 
Will mere entertaining a middle ground   piss god off. 
DO I ?
Dont i ?

Intelligence_06
Debates: 167
Intelligence_06
God exists and consists of the letters "G", "o", and "d".

Criticize me at this instant.
zedvictor4
Debates: 22
zedvictor4
-->
@Intelligence_06
"G", "o" and "d".

That's currently the known reality for sure.....So no criticism necessary.

But as I always state, the GOD principle represents something.

Floaty about blokes of story books are old hat, fantasy based, outdated, long shots....Perpetuated, because it is the human condition to transfer and remember data.

Sometimes we just cannot help ourselves.

janesix
Debates: 12
janesix
-->
@Deb-8-a-bull
Common sense would indicate God does exist. As it is more common to believe in God. There, gotcha .
janesix
janesix
-->
@Deb-8-a-bull
That is not true. There are several of us theists who are NOT in "religious groups". We are undefinable. Maybe more even than any single group except maybe Christians.

But you like to generalize, so you can call us the "non group group" ok?
zedvictor4
zedvictor4
-->
@janesix
So what is the GOD that you believe in Jane?

I am atheist.

Though I accept the idea of GOD as being valid.

But it could be anything.

Acceptance is not belief.

Perhaps you are not a theist.
Castin
Castin
-->
@janesix
You cant know even from analyzing the creation, because we have no idea why things were created. 

I suppose some people could have superior knowledge to mine, yet you have no idea if your knowledge is truly correct. How could you?
I suppose this is where faith in a religious text or prophet comes in. Most major religions seem to need to believe they have the inside skinny on God from some authoritative source.

Have none of these supposed sources ever been compelling to you?
janesix
janesix
-->
@zedvictor4
I have usually felt God was a He, and benevolent. I may be biased towards a male God as i was raised in a predominantly Christian American culture, and the benevolence may be wishful thinking. My beliefs are based on my personal experiences, which may be hallucinations, which I know I have had in the past. I am comfortable at this time with not knowing who God is, who is a comfort to me. That's enough for me at this time.

janesix
janesix
-->
@Castin
I havent read the Koran, or much of the Vedas or any other source yet.
Reece101
Debates: 1
Reece101
-->
@janesix
You cant know even from analyzing the creation, because we have no idea why things were created. 

I suppose some people could have superior knowledge to mine, yet you have no idea if your knowledge is truly correct. How could you?
Assuming we’re talking about the Abrahamic God,  Isn’t he also a personal god?
janesix
janesix
-->
@Reece101
I meant any God
zedvictor4
zedvictor4
-->
@janesix
Yep. We're all conditioned by our formative and immediate environment.

And the Man GOD was an obvious conclusion to be reached. 

And of course, human data transfer is such that these old conclusions are easily perpetuated.

Resolving internal dilemmas, is all about being content with how we manage and apply internally stored data in response to the expectancies of the wider World around us.

In short.... The GOD you rely upon is only to be found inside your head, and not floating around the universe somewhere.

Creation, the universe, life and death, remain an unsolved mystery.

From my perspective, creation, the universe, life and death are GOD.....And I am content with that.....No theistic labels required.

Tradesecret
Debates: 2
Tradesecret
-->
@janesix
I have usually felt God was a He, and benevolent. I may be biased towards a male God as i was raised in a predominantly Christian American culture, and the benevolence may be wishful thinking. My beliefs are based on my personal experiences, which may be hallucinations, which I know I have had in the past. I am comfortable at this time with not knowing who God is, who is a comfort to me. That's enough for me at this time.
Given the title of your topic, how can you be confident that you have felt God was a he or benevolent? I note your comments about tradition, personal experience, perhaps hallucinations and wishful thinking.  But I must express that I am puzzled as to how you think God can comfort you - yet not know anything about God?  How can you know that about God? 

When you talk about comfort from God, are you talking about a feeling? Or is it something else?  

janesix
janesix
-->
@Tradesecret
Just feelings. 
rosends
rosends
If we posit that God is unknowable, then aren't we claiming to know one thing about God?
Castin
Castin
-->
@janesix
I suppose this is where faith in a religious text or prophet comes in. Most major religions seem to need to believe they have the inside skinny on God from some authoritative source.

Have none of these supposed sources ever been compelling to you?
I havent read the Koran, or much of the Vedas or any other source yet.
So just the Bible? What was it about the Bible that was so unconvincing to you as an authoritative source, out of curiosity?
janesix
janesix
-->
@Castin
I was a twelve year old atheist when i read the bible through. Ive only read bits since then. And now it is changing through the mandela effect like anything else. 

The only reason i read it was because my friends did at a youth group i went to breifly. My mother had already convinced me religion was superstition for stupid people.
secularmerlin
secularmerlin
-->
@janesix
I whole heartedly agree. In fact one of the things it is presumptuous to think you know about god(s) is whether or not he/she/it/they exist at all.
zedvictor4
zedvictor4
-->
@secularmerlin
I whole heartedly agree.

319 days later

Shila
Shila
-->
@janesix

It is not what you descended from but what you ascend to that is important.
Elliott
Elliott
Assuming God exists and is unknowable that would render all religious texts relating to God as being worthless. Even the creation of the universe couldn’t be attributed to God as that would make him known. Therefore it would be impossible to differentiate between an unknown God and a non existent one.
Deb-8-a-bull
Deb-8-a-bull
-->
@Elliott
One must always constantly remind ones self that if one happen to come across one of these god things
one must repeat to it over and over . ' WHAT RELIGIOUS GROUP / RELIGION SHOULD I BE IN. 
This is pretty much the only thing we need to know. 
Once the god thing says for example , ' Jehovah witnesses ' is the correct group. 
You say crap buttt you join the JW 
Until then it appears like its nothing more then a guess. 

Butttttttttttttt.
The numbers would say other wise.
If you ask every theist on sight.    ARE THEY IN THE CORRECT RELIGIOUS GROUP.  you would be meet with a 100% yes. 

Thus concluding to.  ' THEISTS  ARE  BRILLIANT AT SELECTING THE CORRECT RELIGION  ' INTO 'RELIGIOUS GROUP .

Imagine beliving the Quran is the one true holy book but you are christian. 

So What comes first.?  To the individual,      ( Believing in a god thing )   orrrrrr.  ( Joining a religious group )   
The answer to this will provide insight into what is happening. 

To be more then fair . LETS SAY THERE IS LIKE,  24  DIFFERENT RELIGIOUS GROUPS TO CHOOSE FROM.  
So IF god doesn't tell ya  it is a one in 24 shot. 
However you don't want to be a Muslim right?  So take them ones out. 
Mormans , Jehovah witnesses. You dont want to be one of them either.

It starts looking like people just choose what religion they are and following it to a tea for the rest of their lives. 
Wich is cool if ya down for that shlt. 

But again , it appears there isn't  noth8ng religious about the way one comes up with what religion. They are. 

Im happy to leave it at. 
THEISTS ARE REALLY REALLY GOOD RELIGIOUS GROUP PICKER ERS  FULL STOP END OF STORY. 

Let us now Imagine a mummy christian and a daddy christian having a adorable baby Muslium.  
Or other. 

Deb-8-a-bull
Deb-8-a-bull
When you say a unknown god. Is that the same as a god that didn't  do a book ?

Only weak and insignificant gods dont do books. 

Please keep in mind. 
Most of the gods that didn't do a book think________________BLANK ________________________________
and they also think  (                         )    
Deb-8-a-bull
Deb-8-a-bull
One of the main two groups,  christ / mus   is incorrect.   

Do you think we can alllllllllll agree with this ?

Elliott
Elliott
-->
@Deb-8-a-bull
One must always constantly remind ones self that if one happen to come across one of these god things
one must repeat to it over and over . ' WHAT RELIGIOUS GROUP / RELIGION SHOULD I BE IN. 
This is pretty much the only thing we need to know. 
Once the god thing says for example , ' Jehovah witnesses ' is the correct group. 
You say crap buttt you join the JW 
Until then it appears like its nothing more then a guess. 

Butttttttttttttt.
The numbers would say other wise.
If you ask every theist on sight.    ARE THEY IN THE CORRECT RELIGIOUS GROUP.  you would be meet with a 100% yes. 

Thus concluding to.  ' THEISTS  ARE  BRILLIANT AT SELECTING THE CORRECT RELIGION  ' INTO 'RELIGIOUS GROUP .

Imagine beliving the Quran is the one true holy book but you are christian. 

So What comes first.?  To the individual,      ( Believing in a god thing )   orrrrrr.  ( Joining a religious group )   
The answer to this will provide insight into what is happening. 

To be more then fair . LETS SAY THERE IS LIKE,  24  DIFFERENT RELIGIOUS GROUPS TO CHOOSE FROM.  
So IF god doesn't tell ya  it is a one in 24 shot. 
However you don't want to be a Muslim right?  So take them ones out. 
Mormans , Jehovah witnesses. You dont want to be one of them either.

It starts looking like people just choose what religion they are and following it to a tea for the rest of their lives. 
Wich is cool if ya down for that shlt. 

But again , it appears there isn't  noth8ng religious about the way one comes up with what religion. They are. 

Im happy to leave it at. 
THEISTS ARE REALLY REALLY GOOD RELIGIOUS GROUP PICKER ERS  FULL STOP END OF STORY. 

Let us now Imagine a mummy christian and a daddy christian having a adorable baby Muslium.  
Or other. 

Not sure how that relates to my post but I will try and address a few points you have made.

All believers believe their religion is the correct one, although there are those who believe in a god but not any specific religion.

I don’t think people able to choose their belief at will and that also goes for disbelief, it is down to perception which can sometimes be manipulated by indoctrination.

As to a Christian having a baby who is a Muslim, no baby is born with a religion, that is instilled later through instruction and indoctrination. Whether they will continue with that belief is again down to perception and possibly indoctrination. Speaking personally I was educated at a Church of England School but the teaching didn’t hold and I became an atheist at the age of eleven, then an agnostic atheist in my early twenties.
Deb-8-a-bull
Deb-8-a-bull
Nice.   You are in my gang. Agnos / Athe.  ' gives hand signals.

Can i ask . 
When you become agnostic / atheist.   Position comes into play.  

One starts to think and feel Agnosticism is like a ummmm a position. 
You went through this hey? 

Id say most atheists on this site are Agnostic as. 
It just isn't cool saying you are agnostic. 

Dont tell the theists this.  

When i started ,  i felt that this very ( Religious forum ) was making me " more agnostic " 
This pull to agnosticism  felt very clear it was hapoening for like two years. 
Then and now it feels like i have to somewhat try to not be a Anti-theist. 

Mmmm. Stages.

Deb-8-a-bull
Deb-8-a-bull
Oh , and i also collect stamps.

Polytheist-Witch
Debates: 1
Polytheist-Witch
Watching atheists lie and make things up about theists because they can't understand how they think is probably one of the most insulting and hysterical things at the same time. I feel so sorry for your parents, your spouses and your children that might have any kind of spiritual belief and have to sit and talk to you. Unless of course you all avoid those conversations because there's no possible way for you to talk about them with insulting each other and hating each other for the rest of your lives.