3RU7AL for DART President

Author: Athias

Total: 23
Athias
Debates: 20
Athias
I'm not sure what is allowed or how much I'm supposed to say in these nominations, but I'd like to nominate 3RU7AL for DebateArt President. I've spoken with and informed 3RU7AL of my intentions to throw his hat in this race. And to be frank, I normally wouldn't get involved in these sort of procedures as it relates to site management, but I sincerely couldn't imagine a better candidate for the job. 3RU7AL has actively tried to make this forum a better place whether it be his suggestions on the modification of voting rules, his suggestions on Civil Debates, but most prominently the example he sets through his own decorum, which have not only garnered my respect but that of many others. Not to mention, 3RU7AL has experience with site administration. 3RU7AL would be the only candidate (currently?) whose intentions with the office wouldn't be a residual of an effort to "seek authority" after failed attempts, or an expression of some nihilistic fervor to watch the site's rules burn. 3RU7AL in his time here has unfailingly shown respect not only to this site's moderation staff, but also to this site's members. And even when there's a disagreement with some of the measures taken by the moderation, 3RU7AL seeks an open forum to discuss them, not just poo-pooing on their authority. If the DebateArt Presidency is meant to be a serious position, then DebateArt could do no better than 3RU7AL.
Polytheist-Witch
Debates: 1
Polytheist-Witch
This President thing's been going on for 2 to 3 weeks I don't understand why now somebody thinks they should get to throw their name in the hat. 
RationalMadman
Debates: 565
RationalMadman
-->
@Athias
I can see issues with them as a presidential candidate (I think they'd make an excellent site analyst of some kind for the actual owner of it though) and I would actually say something of them that Wylted said of me; 3RU7AL's more cut out for a non-sociable role.

I would encourage them (gender not displayed in profile) to endorse me despite some disagreements with me. I'd even encourage you to do the same.

The reason is a combination of how corrupt I predict Wylted will be combined with how inactive/lazy I predict his events or any kind of 'moves' to be apart from when he's defending someone that he considers 'one of the cool guys'.

The president overall serves three purposes:

1. Making the bans of users be held up to a high standard of fairness (which can involve things prior to that ban and how the mods dealt with things in between it in broken-down steps).
  2. Holding fun events like official debate tournaments (that's the only one I can think of for now as gaming tournaments are able to be held by anyone anyway).
  3. Both representing the website as some form of ambassador-account on the outside and by chain reaction of 1 and 2 making the site appealing on top of their own 'appearance' for people who come across the website to think 'wow this is tiny but a fun place to join!' 
I can achieve this, it's up to you to believe it or not.

badger
Debates: 0
badger
As a dyslexic man, I keep forgetting his name isn't Burial. 
Athias
Athias
-->
@Polytheist-Witch
This President thing's been going on for 2 to 3 weeks I don't understand why now somebody thinks they should get to throw their name in the hat. 
I don't log in as much as I used to, but if I'm not mistaken, this is what I read in the announcements:

DART Presidential Election
Greetings DART!
The presidential process will begin starting Dec 27th.
From December 27th to January 16th, any user may nominate themselves. From that time, users may campaign for themselves following the regulation set.
On January 17th, the preliminary voting stage will begin, where the top three candidates move on to the general election
On January 20th, the final voting stage will begin, where a simple majority vote decides the president
On January 21st, the president is inaugurated
Hope everyone has a safe and happy holidays
Godspeed, SupaDudz
Second, 3RU7AL didn't throw his name into this race. I did.

Campaigning Rules & Guidelines

During the designated campaigning period, users may advocate election for themselves or others by doing any of the following:
Last, if you intend on penalizing 3RU7AL's candidacy because his nomination occurred just five days after the process officially began, then that is your prerogative. But the suggestion that 3RU7AL's candidacy is past some deadline because informal campaigning has occurred for the past two to three weeks doesn't hold any weight, Polytheist_Witch.

Athias
Athias
-->
@RationalMadman
I can see issues with them as a presidential candidate
"Them"? I nominated just one person.

3RU7AL's more cut out for a non-sociable role.
I strongly disagree. Not only has 3RU7AL not displayed to my knowledge any anti-social tendencies, but if we were to use these "friends lists" as an index of sociability, 3RU7AL, would be more social than you. He's far more respectful than you are; and he doesn't block other members because he disagrees with them. He maintains a respectful decorum even in situations of conflict; you on the other hand have exhibited no such capacity. I think 3RU7AL is more than well-suited for the position.

I would encourage them (gender not displayed in profile) to endorse me despite some disagreements with me. I'd even encourage you to do the same.
I would never endorse you for any serious office. You're without doubt very intelligent; but you're also very erratic. You don't have your emotions under control even with the convenience of anonymity. I meant what I said: I could imagine no better candidate than 3RU7AL; hence, I took the initiative to nominate him. It's like apples and plastic imitations. I've read what you said (especially in reference to your candidacy as well your lambasting Wylted) and you haven't convinced me otherwise.

The president overall serves three purposes:

1. Making the bans of users be held up to a high standard of fairness (which can involve things prior to that ban and how the mods dealt with things in between it in broken-down steps).
  2. Holding fun events like official debate tournaments (that's the only one I can think of for now as gaming tournaments are able to be held by anyone anyway).
  3. Both representing the website as some form of ambassador-account on the outside and by chain reaction of 1 and 2 making the site appealing on top of their own 'appearance' for people who come across the website to think 'wow this is tiny but a fun place to join!' 
Are you and Polytheist_Witch under some impression that I don't know how to read? I've read the functions of the President as delineated by SupaDudz:

President’s Role

While not a moderating role, the President does retain limited powers with their position, including:
  • The ability to communicate within a moderation team chat (via Discord) in order to give input on all forms of daily decision-making. Except when completely untenable, the mod team will strive to ensure the President’s viewpoint is heard and honored.
  • The ability to approve or veto permanent ban propositions. Moderation will be required to submit permanent ban propositions to the President for review unless the user in question is a bot or advertising account, the situation is uniquely urgent or severe, the President is absent and/or unreasonably tardy, or the permanent ban proposition targets the President themselves. Vetos may be overridden by a simple majority vote among the moderation team. 
  • The ability to envision and execute community events, pending the approval and assistance of moderation.
In general, the President will spend the vast majority of their time in service observing the ordinary daily tasks of the moderation team and giving counsel as they see fit. 
And let me once again remind you: 3RU7AL has experience with site administration. If you want to know more, take a closer look at his profile. (I don't know if it's permitted that I post the reference here.)

I can achieve this, it's up to you to believe it or not.
Maybe you can. Do I believe you are better suited to carry out the functions of the office than 3RU7AL would be? Not by a mile.

Since you're a candidate, I've offered you the courtesy of a response, and will only respond to you in this capacity.
Wylted
Debates: 34
Wylted
-->
@3RU7AL
I hope you accept the nomination.  I look forward to facing a serious opponent
Polytheist-Witch
Polytheist-Witch
-->
@Athias
He's already made it clear he's completely biased to certain people. And it's been discussed before December 27th not my fault you don't come to the site more often. Lastly, I don't give a f*** who runs and who doesn't. It's a goddamn joke position. It's the same thing they tried with what's her name and we all saw how that worked out.
Athias
Athias
-->
@Polytheist-Witch
He's already made it clear he's completely biased to certain people.
Who?

And it's been discussed before December 27th
I don't deny that it's been discussed before the 27th. But suggesting that some deadline of candidacy has been missed is clearly undermined by SupaDudz site-wide announcement.

not my fault you don't come to the site more often
It's not my fault, either.

Lastly, I don't give a f*** who runs and who doesn't.
So why does my nominating 3RU7AL at this point in time bother you?

It's a goddamn joke position.
So why have you participated in discussions over the subject to the extent that you have?

It's the same thing they tried with what's her name and we all saw how that worked out.
I request a bit more than ambiguous references. Who is the she to which you refer, and how did it work out?

Let me also add: do you have any questions as to 3RU7AL's capacity and competence? (We should attempt to keep this discussion focused on subject.)
Polytheist-Witch
Polytheist-Witch
-->
@Athias
Nope he's made his lack of willingness to assist all members clear.
Athias
Athias
-->
@Polytheist-Witch
Okay, enjoy the rest of your evening ma'am.
RationalMadman
RationalMadman
I hope you accept the nomination.  I look forward to facing a serious opponent
He's likely to attract people who would vote for you more than people who would vote for me based on what I predict his platform will be.

However, by all means encourage it. 
Wylted
Debates: 34
Wylted
He's likely to attract people who would vote for you more than people who would vote for me based on what I predict his platform will be.

If this is true, I request he drop out of the race and pledge his support to me

RationalMadman
RationalMadman
-->
@Athias
I would never endorse you for any serious office. You're without doubt very intelligent; but you're also very erratic. You don't have your emotions under control even with the convenience of anonymity.
It is easy to judge someone who has actually been under pressure before. 3RU7AL has never faced a high pressure situation here, they've faced scenarios of pure neutrality and idea exchange, completely ignoring the social side of the website.

Wylted is more erratic than I am, including how he lept from being against me to for me to against me again purely based on where his ego and impulses led him.

It's all fine by me whatever you think or vote for, in the end the site will suffer not me alone and that is the nature of democracy if the majority are too ignorant of the reality at any one election.

I would also like to point out that I used 'they' as a gender-neutral term because 3RU7AL neither identified themselves as male or female in the profile and has been on the site for a long time if they identified as he or she, to make it clear to us what pronoun to use.
3RU7AL
Debates: 3
3RU7AL
-->
@Wylted
I accept the nomination
RationalMadman
RationalMadman
-->
@3RU7AL
Alright, please be sure to make a thread outlining your campaign with promises, otherwise you have not yet officially announced your candidacy. I am telling you this to help you out and part of that is to tell you that now that you announced you accepted the nomination, you are not allowed to discuss your candidacy outside of either your own campaign thread (not this one) or other's campaign threads (Wylted's and my own) that's how it works.
RationalMadman
RationalMadman
-->
@3RU7AL
One exception to this rule is this thread Wylted made in the Religion Subforum, you're welcome to state your stance on that there:

Athias
Athias
-->
@RationalMadman

However, by all means encourage it. 
I believe that the competition as it stood presented options of the "lesser of two evils." The concern with that is one would still be obliged to choose evil. (Of course I'm using the term, evil, figuratively; I don't mean to suggest that either you or Wylted is evil.) With 3RU7AL's entry into the race, members will have an option to choose good.

It is easy to judge someone who has actually been under pressure before. 3RU7AL has never faced a high pressure situation here, they've faced scenarios of pure neutrality and idea exchange, completely ignoring the social side of the website.
Assumptions; no facts.

Wylted is more erratic than I am, including how he lept from being against me to for me to against me again purely based on where his ego and impulses led him.
First, you've done your fair share of insulting him and making irrelevant references to statements and comments that have nothing to do with the office he would hold. If his behavior is subject to referendum, why would your behavior not be?

Second, I nominated 3RU7AL. So why have you submitted to me a comparison between you and Wylted? With respect to decorum, 3RU7AL has both of you beat, bludgeoned on the floor, bleeding out, and grasping for breath. 

It's all fine by me whatever you think or vote for, in the end the site will suffer not me alone and that is the nature of democracy if the majority are too ignorant of the reality at any one election.
You're preemptively (damn it, 3RU7AL) insulting the would-be majority who votes against you at the prospect of your loss? I'm not concerned whether "it's all fine by you" what I think and how I vote. You may not like it, but I flat-out informed you that I would never endorse you. And here's a key difference between you and 3RU7AL: 3RU7AL has set a good example from the very start. He hasn't modified his behavior to curry favor. Because anyone who sets a good example understands that if one wants to influence the behavior around them, it first starts with oneself. And RationalMadman, you have not set a good example, I mean, at all. Furthermore, I have no doubt that 3RU7AL will maintain a respectful rapport with the moderation staff. 3RU7AL's assuming the office of presidency would be nothing other than a benefit to this site. The same cannot be said for you, especially if these statements I've been making are a tough pill to swallow.

Alright, please be sure to make a thread outlining your campaign with promises, otherwise you have not yet officially announced your candidacy. I am telling you this to help you out and part of that is to tell you that now that you announced you accepted the nomination, you are not allowed to discuss your candidacy outside of either your own campaign thread (not this one) or other's campaign threads (Wylted's and my own) that's how it works.
And what of discussing your own candidacy in someone else's nomination thread?
RationalMadman
RationalMadman
-->
@Athias
Okay I will stop discussing my candidacy here, you are right but I also don't know how else to discuss 3RU7AL running without referring to the 2 currently running, one which happens to be me.

As in, I was trying to let you know that this candidacy is not what I'd deem optimal for the election. I don't mind 3RU7AL running but I also think this is the wrong election for them to run if they wanted to do so.
Athias
Athias
-->
@3RU7AL
I accept the nomination
Great. I wish you luck during the campaign process. And if I can help in any way, let me know.
RationalMadman
RationalMadman
-->
@Athias
One more technicality... I'm under the impression 2 need to endorse/nominate a candidate for them to be properly official. As in you are 1 person, there needs to be another who offically backs 3RU7AL.
Athias
Athias
-->
@RationalMadman
One more technicality... I'm under the impression 2 need to endorse/nominate a candidate for them to be properly official. As in you are 1 person, there needs to be another who offically backs 3RU7AL.
RationalMadman, the rules are available to everyone participating in this site. I even posted them above. Given that the bare minimum is nominating oneself, then even if we were to indulge this "technicality," my nominating 3RU7AL and his accepting the nomination should suffice.

Discipulus_Didicit
Debates: 9
Discipulus_Didicit
-->
@3RU7AL
I accept the nomination
Please tag me when you make your campaign thread.