Why you should not vote for RationalMadman.

Author: Lunatic

Total: 165
Lunatic
Debates: 3
Lunatic
-->
@RationalMadman
I am not here to censor all drama, I never said that was my aim. You're trying to pretend I have an agenda that I don't by twisting my words out of context.
A serial bully or person spamming white supremacy threads isn't the same as someone making lively drama threads with tough clickbait titles that get the mind stirring.
I am not twisting any words. It's a question: Who get's to decide what constitutes bullying? You basically called me a bully because I like a comedian/actor you find offensive. It's not about drama, it's about perception. Your perception of what is and isn't good will objecively play a role with moderation, which is why electing you is harmful. 

RationalMadman
Debates: 567
RationalMadman
-->
@Lunatic
That is not the reason why, it is the way you did it and I disengaged with you as you said one should do.

I owe you no completion of a debate whatsover when I am doing it as a hobby and not a job, you're just so upset I blocked you so I wonder who the fragile one is.

I blocked you and moved on with life, unblocked you when I wanted to as well. That's real freedom actually and has nothing to do with banning.
RationalMadman
RationalMadman
-->
@Lunatic
"If rules are not enforced on the initial abuser, the victim ends up with no outlets to feel safe other than complete retreat or retaliation." You said this recently. Based on your reaction to my defense of Sacha Baron Cohen, hypothetically if that conversation took place here and not on discord, you could advocate a warning to me because my opinion is "too controversial" or "abusive". You are the president, which means you have a role in deciding what is abusive. I don't think members should be warned, much less banned because they have controversial opinions. 
No, you are lying or accidentally misconstruing now.

I'd think 'I really dislike Lunatic at this moment in time but technically he didn't really break any rules and hasn't harassed me further post-block'. There'd be no punishment at all for what you did or said.
RationalMadman
RationalMadman
-->
@Lunatic
Also your statements seem to support that you want more enforcement rather than less. For example:

"The mods would need to almost be 'too heavy handed' at first with how many ROs they set out."
"On top of ROs, I think there needs to be a lot of active intervention, locking of threads etc."

These are the types of statements that worry me about mod intervention. That and I have argued with you in the past in concern with wylted's ban, which you were a supporter of. 
That was very specific to the religion forums.

We will see what happens there if I become president but I will admit since BrotherD's ban things have gotten tamer there and since I helped Polytheist Witch seek moderation assistance with a situation, you will find things even more peaceful there.

I am not calling out Poly here, I am actually pointing out something deeper. If two users are bickering constantly, especially if one feels continually victimised, it's better to intervene and push for them reducing contact. The entire atmosphere surrounding their presence in a thread becomes more harmonious too.
Lunatic
Lunatic
-->
@RationalMadman
That is not the reason why, it is the way you did it and I disengaged with you as you said one should do.
I owe you no completion of a debate whatsover when I am doing it as a hobby and not a job, you're just so upset I blocked you so I wonder who the fragile one is.
What do you mean the "way I did it"?

Look at the screen shots again. We were discussing the movie (Borat 2) and I suggested based on your comments (in relation to the wrong movie) that you perhaps hadn't seen the movie, because your comments were not inline with what happened in that film. You were ragging on about a video that showed the pankees being unhappy with a prank. Being pranked isn't the end of the world, and obviously being pranked may make someone unhappy. You called me an "Insensitive cvnt" for that take. 

Sorry you don't like my opinion but I logically defended it to you. I am not upset you blocked me, rather was amused by it. What I am not amused by however, is the fact that a role opens up where someone who can go from 0-100 that fast on the "offended meter" can get a say with moderation on who does and doesn't get banned. That presents a real issue. 

I blocked you and moved on with life, unblocked you when I wanted to as well. That's real freedom actually and has nothing to do with banning.
The  core thing we are talking about is you, and what you believe to be offensive. If you get a major say on what counts as bullying with the mods, and have any say on what the mods can or can't do, that presents some very serious problems for the members of this site. I am suggesting they consider that when the time for voting comes. 
RationalMadman
RationalMadman
-->
@Lunatic
I am sure that they will consider it. I am also sure people understand that the one who is really oppressing the other here is you.

You want me to live in 24/7 fear of ever disengaging a conversation I am in or blocking someone I don't like on a platform just in case I run for a position on DART and it gets used to shame and frame me as something I'm not.

There is a difference between me freely using my right to block and ignore you and me as a moderator advocating to punish you. If you don't see that difference and keep twisting words, then at least I said this much to negate your sophistry.
Lunatic
Lunatic
-->
@RationalMadman
No, you are lying or accidentally misconstruing now.

I'd think 'I really dislike Lunatic at this moment in time but technically he didn't really break any rules and hasn't harassed me further post-block'. There'd be no punishment at all for what you did or said.
You as president literally get the final pass on a vote for someone getting banned or not. That means there is discretion for you and your personality to decide what is offensive. That is fact, not a lie. If wylted, or someone else brings up an opinion that you find racist, sexist, or just offensive, you get to put your 2 cents in on how the moderation with such an instance is handled. From your track record, and from the things you've said recently, you are in favor of stricter moderation. These are your own words. 

That was very specific to the religion forums.

We will see what happens there if I become president but I will admit since BrotherD's ban things have gotten tamer there and since I helped Polytheist Witch seek moderation assistance with a situation, you will find things even more peaceful there.

I am not calling out Poly here, I am actually pointing out something deeper. If two users are bickering constantly, especially if one feels continually victimised, it's better to intervene and push for them reducing contact. The entire atmosphere surrounding their presence in a thread becomes more harmonious too.
I fundamentally dis-agree that restraining orders provide any sort of solution. Or that two useres who have a problem with the others opinion shouldn't be able to express dis-interest in the others opinion on a debate site. Mods have shown in the past that they don't know how to enforce restraining order punishment also. The supa 7 day ban for example was completely ridiculous, especially in light of the actual "offense" being a friendly interaction with the other party. 
Lunatic
Lunatic
-->
@RationalMadman
I am sure that they will consider it. I am also sure people understand that the one who is really oppressing the other here is you.

You want me to live in 24/7 fear of ever disengaging a conversation I am in or blocking someone I don't like on a platform just in case I run for a position on DART and it gets used to shame and frame me as something I'm not.

There is a difference between me freely using my right to block and ignore you and me as a moderator advocating to punish you. If you don't see that difference and keep twisting words, then at least I said this much to negate your sophistry.

I mean I am literally just using examples of things you have said and done one the website to substantiate this point. You are actually insinuating that I am opressing you or bullying you because I highlighted things you have said that show you don't have an active interest in freedom of speech on the site. How you view what is and isn't bullying is extremely relevant considering you have an active hand with moderation if elected. You are trying to manipulate yourself into being a victim again as we speak. You are proving more and more how dangerous you will be if you get this position. 
RationalMadman
RationalMadman
-->
@Lunatic
. If wylted, or someone else brings up an opinion that you find racist, sexist, or just offensive, you get to put your 2 cents in on how the moderation with such an instance is handled. 
You want to get personal about Wylted or you want to make this about 'someone'?

I would say it depends on the posting  (including previous posting) and situation but I know you'll call that an escape.

You want me to allow racist, sexist, homophobic, transphobic and furthermore extremely personal and nasty abuse to a user to occur and turn a blind eye? Do you want me to say 'oh well done Wylted or other person, your presence on DART is net-positive?'

Where are you going with this? If the mods banned this user, there must have at least been one thing they did that they're able to take either in or out of context that can be seen as negative. This is even true for myself and I will need to at least see that one thing as true, I will then go through the rest of their reasoning for banning the user and have a lengthy discussion about if this user actually is net-positive for the website, perhaps reducing a sentence rather than completely vindicating them.

I can't prove to you how reasonable I'd be because I haven't had the chance to. I don't block the same as I ban this is false equivocation.
RationalMadman
RationalMadman
-->
@Lunatic
I mean I am literally just using examples of things you have said and done one the website to substantiate this point. You are actually insinuating that I am opressing you or bullying you because I highlighted things you have said that show you don't have an active interest in freedom of speech on the site. How you view what is and isn't bullying is extremely relevant considering you have an active hand with moderation if elected. You are trying to manipulate yourself into being a victim again as we speak. You are proving more and more how dangerous you will be if you get this position. 
I am not saying I'm a 'victim' of just you, not at all. I am saying this culture you want to push forth where everyone needs to tiptoe around daring to disengage a situation they feel is toxic (whether bullied or not) and blocking a user needs to live in fear that these disengagements and blocks can be used to smear them as a tyrant in the future.
RationalMadman
RationalMadman
-->
@Lunatic
I fundamentally dis-agree that restraining orders provide any sort of solution. Or that two useres who have a problem with the others opinion shouldn't be able to express dis-interest in the others opinion on a debate site. Mods have shown in the past that they don't know how to enforce restraining order punishment also. The supa 7 day ban for example was completely ridiculous, especially in light of the actual "offense" being a friendly interaction with the other party. 
I have even lived through on-site ROs to know they are positive and have seen the positivity with other users who participated in them.

They don't always punish fairly (one was often worse than the other) but they get the end-result of reforming done very effectively.
Lunatic
Lunatic
-->
@RationalMadman
You want to get personal about Wylted or you want to make this about 'someone'?
Wylted is just the perfect example because he is a user who posts "controversial things" that others tend to get carried away with and call "Abusive".

I would say it depends on the posting  (including previous posting) and situation but I know you'll call that an escape.
You want me to allow racist, sexist, homophobic, transphobic and furthermore extremely personal and nasty abuse to a user to occur and turn a blind eye? Do you want me to say 'oh well done Wylted or other person, your presence on DART is net-positive?
No, you don't have to congratulate or thank anyone. You just don't need to ban someone because they had an opinion you didn't like or found offensive. 

Where are you going with this? If the mods banned this user, there must have at least been one thing they did that they're able to take either in or out of context that can be seen as negative. This is even true for myself and I will need to at least see that one thing as true, I will then go through the rest of their reasoning for banning the user and have a lengthy discussion about if this user actually is net-positive for the website, perhaps reducing a sentence rather than completely vindicating them.

I can't prove to you how reasonable I'd be because I haven't had the chance to. I don't block the same as I ban this is false equivocation.
We can keep using wylteds old ban as an example then. The one where Ragnar basically accused him of jailbaiting someone who was 14 (because a joke went over said 14 year olds head) and then Ragnar goes on to insinuate that wylted should have known the guy's age (as if that were even relevant). This is a situation where wylted was banned for a very lengthy amount of time. You defended this ban. The thread was edgy and controversial, but no one was actually harmed. Ragnar decided to assume more harm was done and banned him for it. When situations like this happen again I can only assume you will continue to support these types of silly bans. This thread got so bad that that ragnar eventually stopped defending himself and his action altogether, both in discord and in the forums. 

Yeah but you have been openly in support of unjust bans, so why should I or anyone else think you would enforce bans differently than you treat blocks?

I am not saying I'm a 'victim' of just you, not at all. I am saying this culture you want to push forth where everyone needs to tiptoe around daring to disengage a situation they feel is toxic (whether bullied or not) and blocking a user needs to live in fear that these disengagements and blocks can be used to smear them as a tyrant in the future.
I've never once called Ragnar a tyrant despite many unjust bannings that I think he was primarily responsible for. As a person, I like Ragnar just fine. I do think he thinks he is doing his best. However I think he has issues with how and when he uses discretion when modding, and it's not always consistent. A lot of it comes down to what the "boys" in the moderation team ultimately feel is right. This was ultimately my issue he had when he banned you. The ban being a "collective of unbannable things" really came down to "Everyone's getting tired of RM's sh1t" and that's why you were banned. I was not okay with this. The same logic was used more or less with wylted from my understanding of things. 

Where you and I differ is I think if you werent the subject of your ban, you would have been okay with that ban on just about anyone else. At least I am consistent with what I think moderation should improve on, and don't only apply a way of thinking when it adversesly effects me. 

I have even lived through on-site ROs to know they are positive and have seen the positivity with other users who participated in them.

They don't always punish fairly (one was often worse than the other) but they get the end-result of reforming done very effectively.
The end result of an RO is less communication and discussion. You seem to agree with me that drama shouldn't be bannable, so why are you such an enforcer of RO's if that's all two users arguing is, is just drama? 
RationalMadman
RationalMadman
-->
@Lunatic
I didn't know Wylted's ban was based on a literal lie, I was not privy to the actual thread and had perhaps a bias to assume it was true but as president I would absolutely want to see the proof there, I can't prove this because I haven't had the chance to be it. It was a deleted thread, yes?

So, I did support his ban and assumed that not only that reason was true but that his other posting only furthered how toxic he was.

I believe Wylted is a very net-negative presence on the website, yes I do but I won't allow pure lies to be why anybody gets banned. I absolutely would demand the proof if I were President at the time of Wylted's ban. I don't know what else to tell you.

RationalMadman
RationalMadman
-->
@Lunatic
Where you and I differ is I think if you werent the subject of your ban, you would have been okay with that ban on just about anyone else. 
This is clever because it baits me to dig up my own past but go ahead.

List to me why I was banned here in late 2020 if you want to dig it up. You and I both know it's a series of serious abuse of context-twisting and rhetoric.
Lunatic
Lunatic
-->
@RationalMadman
I didn't know Wylted's ban was based on a literal lie, I was not privvy to the actual thread and had perhaps a bias to assume it was true but as president I would absolutely want to see the proof there, I can't prove this because I haven't had the chance to be it. It was a deleted thread, yes?

So, I did support his ban and assumed that not only that reason was true but that his other posting only furthered how toxic he was.

I believe Wylted is a very net-negative presence on the website, yes I do but I won't allow pure lies to be why anybody gets banned. I absolutely would demand the proof if I were President at the time of Wylted's ban. I don't know what else to tell you.

I mean it is a good step forward for you to admit that you were talking out of your ass when you defending him in that thread. I can't lie and pretend I am all of a sudden confident that things would be different going forward if you are elected president. All I can say is if you are elected, I hope what you say is true and you do your due dilligence. 

I guess there is not much else to be said here. I stand by the things said in the OP though. 
Lunatic
Lunatic
-->
@RationalMadman
This is clever because it baits me to dig up my own past but go ahead.

List to me why I was banned here in late 2020 if you want to dig it up. You and I both know it's a series of serious abuse of context-twisting and rhetoric.

It's not a bait. Has your opinions on your ban being unjust changed? If not why would you think that your past isn't relevant here? Your past on this website is what paints a picture of you, someone who thinks they can make the site a better place by being in a position of relative power. I am all for forgiving mistakes, lord knows I've made plenty. I am not the pot calling the kettle black here. Just wanting to get a handle on what you actually stand for. Based on the discourse in the campaign threads so far it seems clear to me that you support more moderation rather than less. You know this is an issue I've strongly opined against for the last couple years. My take here really shouldn't be all that surprising. If wylted was out here campaigning for stricter moderation the only difference with this thread would be the title "Why you should not vote for Wylted."
RationalMadman
RationalMadman
-->
@Lunatic
The end result of an RO is less communication and discussion. You seem to agree with me that drama shouldn't be bannable, so why are you such an enforcer of RO's if that's all two users arguing is, is just drama? 
It's not at all just drama. No, no, no.

What you are referring to goes way beyond fun drama, it is about genuine relentless frustration, disdain, loathing even and just a genuinely grudge-based feeling for each user. It usually forms like this:

One is overall a 'ha he/she/they posted let's troll!'

The other is overall as 'omg, should I be scared to post? No! I should be brave... oh no! They're at it again ;-; why me always I just wanted to post here and have a normal discussion but they just come to troll me... LET ME SHOW THEM WHAT I'M MADE OF

The reaction style of the latter fuels the former and it goes on and on and on.

Generally if both are the former type, they even enjoy each other's brutish ways. Also generally, if both are the latter type, after an initial clash or two they learn to back off each other as it's not in their nature to keep at it.

You can even call this my own theory of long-term flamewars, you need one in it for the lols and one in it for anguish at the people mocking them.

What becomes a problem is that often the sheer hostility of these 2 types when really at eachother's neck is so hostile that others in the thread become hostile or afraid to post themselves.
RationalMadman
RationalMadman
-->
@Lunatic
My take here really shouldn't be all that surprising. If wylted was out here campaigning for stricter moderation the only difference with this thread would be the title "Why you should not vote for Wylted."
He is pro-neglect, would you go as far as to agree to that?
Lunatic
Lunatic
-->
@RationalMadman
It's not at all just drama. No, no, no.

What you are referring to goes way beyond fun drama, it is about genuine relentless frustration, disdain, loathing even and just a genuinely grudge-based feeling for each user. It usually forms like this:

One is overall a 'ha he/she/they posted let's troll!'

The other is overall as 'omg, should I be scared to post? No! I should be brave... oh no! They're at it again ;-; why me always I just wanted to post here and have a normal discussion but they just come to troll me... LET ME SHOW THEM WHAT I'M MADE OF

The reaction style of the latter fuels the former and it goes on and on and on.

Generally if both are the former type, they even enjoy each other's brutish ways. Also generally, if both are the latter type, after an initial clash or two they learn to back off each other as it's not in their nature to keep at it.

You can even call this my own theory of long-term flamewars, you need one in it for the lols and one in it for anguish at the people mocking them.

What becomes a problem is that often the sheer hostility of these 2 types when really at eachother's neck is so hostile that others in the thread become hostile or afraid to post themselves.
I am still not seeing why mod intervention is needed here. If either user wants to they can block the other right? If they are both engaging in toxic dispute and consentual to it, then why does it matter? I don't see a reason why we need to babysit anyone and tell people who they can and can't talk to. Ultimately we are just creating problems instead of letting them work themselves out. 

He is pro-neglect, would you go as far as to agree to that?
No, it seems he is generally in line with not restricting speach. Which means he would use his role to advise moderators not to act on things they normally would act on. Which is pretty much exactly what I want a president to do. I want are mods to be pro neglect except for in situations where a user's safety is at risk (like doxxing. Real doxxing, not your definition of doxing lol)
RationalMadman
RationalMadman
-->
@Lunatic
 If they are both engaging in toxic dispute and consentual to it, then why does it matter
You know the type 2 I describe, the one who is toxic in retaliation? Often they feel there is no outlet to save them other than being mean back.

Consensual flaming is borderline okay as long as it stay in the rules but just how consensual is it for the angry and reactionary one? If they agree to not interact with the other and vice versa, at least for 3 weeks, you will find both have developed habits of interaction that when you take the RO away, they can better interact around each other rather than into each other.

Think of it as social lubrication therapy.
RationalMadman
RationalMadman
-->
@Lunatic
 he would use his role to advise moderators not to act on things they normally would act on. 
This sounds like being pro-neglect to me.

Perhaps you're seeing specifics where I'm not.

Do you really think that I am only pro-action btw? You don't think I'd push for more lenient punishment ever? I am all about gradual warnings and reform, you have twisted my platform out of context.
Lunatic
Lunatic
-->
@RationalMadman
You know the type 2 I describe, the one who is toxic in retaliation? Often they feel there is no outlet to save them other than being mean back.

Consensual flaming is borderline okay as long as it stay in the rules but just how consensual is it for the angry and reactionary one? If they agree to not interact with the other and vice versa, at least for 3 weeks, you will find both have developed habits of interaction that when you take the RO away, they can better interact around each other rather than into each other.

Think of it as social lubrication therapy.

I mean if you continually smack your dog when it does something you don't like, yeah it will eventually stop doing that thing. When having heated clashing opinions on a debate site  you get your hand slapped, why even stay on or participate on the site? Their interactions change because they fear reprimand, not because they suddenly had a change of heart or something. On the contrary I think letting people hash out their differences is more likely to get people to change their mind about another individual. Regardless I don't see why a moderator needs to interfere when the good ol' blocking feature is handy. 
RationalMadman
RationalMadman
-->
@Lunatic
I DO NOT ABUSE ANIMALS 

That is it I have had enough of this.

I take a break now. 
Lunatic
Lunatic
-->
@RationalMadman
This sounds like being pro-neglect to me.

Perhaps you're seeing specifics where I'm not.

Do you really think that I am only pro-action btw? You don't think I'd push for more lenient punishment ever? I am all about gradual warnings and reform, you have twisted my platform out of context.

I am basing this around things you have said in the past, and ways you've interacted in the past. Like I said, if in fact you are elected I would be happy for you to prove me wrong here. Words are words until then, and so far I see more stances that support stricter moderation than not. That seemed to be the main idea of your campaign thread as well, with the minor inclusion of a tournament idea. 

Lunatic
Lunatic
-->
@RationalMadman
I DO NOT ABUSE ANIMALS 

That is it I have had enough of this.

I take a break now. 

Way to miss the point. 
Lunatic
Lunatic
Lunatic
Lunatic
If there is anything you all should take away from rationalmadmans response to my thread here, it's that he definitely does not abuse animals.

Good discourse was accomplished today ladies and gents. 

I am actually laughing so hard.
Barney
Debates: 50
Barney
-->
@RationalMadman
Lmao, I can't defend against this without violating the rule of not campaigning outside my campaign thread, so I will wait for the mods to allow me to. Otherwise, I'll address this inside my thread.
Unless I have grossly misread the rules, you are allowed to reply even in such ways that could be considered campaigning (honestly, I consider any heavy election related discussion from a candidate to be campaigning)...

During the designated campaigning period, users may advocate election for themselves or others by doing any of the following:
  • Within any three day window, creating at most ONE non-spam campaign-related forum thread or debate.
  • Offering non-spam contributions to the campaign-related forum threads or debates of others.
  • Changing their profile picture or user biography.
You did not create the thread (nor did anyone do it at your behest), and the thread is about the election; therefore you are fully allowed to campaign in it.
Vader
Debates: 30
Vader
While I will not comment on the character of RM in the thread, I will say free speech is a key issue in who I will vote for
Wylted
Debates: 34
Wylted
-->
@Lunatic
I do appreciate the endorsement and agree with everything you have said here. I would like to correct one point

I have theories that this move for president has more narcissistic motivators for both parties than it does for actual community development

While the other two campaigns were about ego gratification. I genuinely don't want to run here and tried to avoid it. If literally one person who is  even remotely equal to me runs and also who is more electable, I'd drop out and fully endorse them.

I wish you would run, to take this burden off my shoulders, but I get the feeling nothing will convince you to do so.