Reflection on January 6th

Author: Double_R

Total: 106
Athias
Debates: 20
Athias
-->
@Double_R
I know of no democrat who set their sights on impeaching Trump after the election.

House Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.)

Impeachment managers

*EVERY SINGLE HOUSE DEMOCRAT HAD CAST A GUILTY VOTE AS IT PERTAINED TO THE CHARGES OF INCITING AN INSURRECTION.

*EVERY SINGLE SENATE DEMOCRAT HAD CAST A GUILTY VOTE AS IT PERTAINED TO THE CHARGES OF INCITING AN INSURRECTION.
RationalMadman
Debates: 565
RationalMadman
-->
@Athias
Because he is guilty, did that occur to you?
Athias
Athias
-->
@RationalMadman
Of course. We all know that figurative language is, naturally, cause for guilt.
FLRW
Debates: 0
FLRW
-->
@bmdrocks21
This is from Jose Padilla's Grand Jury indictment.

Padilla also publicly stated his objective at the Capitol on January 6 in no uncertain terms: to "dissolve the legislature, and replace it with Patriots who were there. Then simply re-adopt the Constitution with amendments added to secure future Federal elections." See SOF at 9. He told a police officer that he sought to destroy the "machine" that governed within the U.S. Capitol. See Hr'g Ex. 2. His comments take issue not simply with the 2020 presidential election, but regard a broader years-long struggle against a government he perceives to be illegitimate. See id. ("This war has been upon us for years and we've just been wringing hands about it."); see also Hr'g Ex. 10. And he demonstrated a belief that force is justified to counteract government measures that he personally considers unlawful. His words, as well as the nature of his actions, thus create "ample reason to believe that [the] fight is not finished for [Padilla]," even though the transition of power to the current administration has come and gone. See Sabol, 2021 WL 1405945, at *18. Indeed, Padilla's own statements suggest that his fight has just begun.
bmdrocks21
Debates: 6
bmdrocks21
-->
@FLRW

This is from Jose Padilla's Grand Jury indictment.

Padilla also publicly stated his objective at the Capitol on January 6 in no uncertain terms: to "dissolve the legislature, and replace it with Patriots who were there. Then simply re-adopt the Constitution with amendments added to secure future Federal elections." See SOF at 9. He told a police officer that he sought to destroy the "machine" that governed within the U.S. Capitol. See Hr'g Ex. 2. His comments take issue not simply with the 2020 presidential election, but regard a broader years-long struggle against a government he perceives to be illegitimate. See id. ("This war has been upon us for years and we've just been wringing hands about it."); see also Hr'g Ex. 10. And he demonstrated a belief that force is justified to counteract government measures that he personally considers unlawful. His words, as well as the nature of his actions, thus create "ample reason to believe that [the] fight is not finished for [Padilla]," even though the transition of power to the current administration has come and gone. See Sabol, 2021 WL 1405945, at *18. Indeed, Padilla's own statements suggest that his fight has just begun.
Is this in response to something I said, or did you mean to send it to someone discussing Jose Padilla?
FLRW
Debates: 0
FLRW
-->
@bmdrocks21
But since the post is reflecting on Jan 6th, then I suppose I’ll say this: it was somewhat bad. It wasn’t an insurrection or an attempted coup.
It was based on this comment of yours.
bmdrocks21
bmdrocks21
-->
@FLRW
I don’t know anything about this guy. Did he in some way organize the protest on Jan 6th or coordinate anything with the rest of the people?
Greyparrot
Debates: 4
Greyparrot
-->
@bmdrocks21
I don’t know anything about this guy. Did he in some way organize the protest on Jan 6th or coordinate anything with the rest of the people?
Jan 6, the day we celebrate not formally charging hundreds of political trespassers for insurrection while also calling them insurrectionists.
ILikePie5
Debates: 2
ILikePie5
-->
@Greyparrot
Jan 6, the day we celebrate not formally charging hundreds of political trespassers for insurrection while also calling them insurrectionists.
I ask liberals at my university how many people are charged with insurrection and then show them the facts. Nothing like a big fat red pill down the throat
bmdrocks21
bmdrocks21
-->
@Greyparrot
Or watergate.

Danielle
Debates: 3
Danielle
The most important thing to remember about January 6th is this: As part of the deposition process, Giuliani was required to answer questions under oath regarding the claims he made about election fraud. He admitted that his source of information was social media. He conceded that he didn't actually speak to anyone who alleged witnessing fraud. He said he didn't have any information about the alleged witness' credibility, and he noted he didn't have the time to check whether or not any of the claims were reliable before sharing them with the public.

In other words, he made the whole fucking thing up (I understand that anyone with half a brain knows that already). He had no proof whatsoever, again which he testified to under oath, yet he asked a bunch of low-information low lives to engage in a "trial by combat" vs. the elected officials trying to carry out a peaceful transition of power. It's truly sick how unhinged that man has become and how little he cares about manipulating desperate people just to maintain some semblance of power. Trump et al. are psychotic narcissists who deserve to be shot , but the "anti elite" "freedom fighters" can't see it. 

Double_R
Double_R
-->
@bmdrocks21
And you can claim that is a “whataboutism”, but it’s a valid point. Do I support breaking into the Capitol? Absolutely not. But does it even remotely compare to the riots of the summer in terms of damage or death toll? Not even close.
They’re is nothing valid about bringing up the summer riots *in response* to the question of what your views are regarding January 6th. Nothing.

There is also nothing valid about comparing them. The summer riots were a period of national civil unrest over a longstanding contentious issue, the final straw of which being sparked by a video taken by bystanders and spread over social media.

January 6th was the culmination of a political plot to steal an election.

In other words, the summer riots was an uprising from the bottom up, Jan 6th was pushed from the top down starting with the president of the United States.

Moreover, when we talk about January 6th we’re not talking about property damage, we’re talking about the security of the US Capitol and of our democracy. So this is not even the same conversation.

These two things do not compare in any way.

But since the post is reflecting on Jan 6th, then I suppose I’ll say this: it was somewhat bad. It wasn’t an insurrection or an attempted coup. It’ll be blown way out of proportion like Charlottesville and become this kind of weird lefty anti-holiday. The worst part about it is that now libtards will use this one instance of right wing rioting in decades to say “but muh right wing extremists riot tooooo”
Ok, it was “somewhat bad”. Thanks for that.

Now, if you don’t mind, I’d love to dig a little deeper on why you think it was only somewhat bad. Lets start with some basic facts and move into opinion later. Please tell me which part of the below description is not factually accurate…

On January 6th the US Capitol was taken over by a hostile force, forcing congress to have to evacuate in the middle of certifying the next president, the people who carried this out overwhelmingly stated that they were there on behalf of the sitting president of the United States who didn’t do or say anything about it till three hours into it, and to this day he has never given any serious condemnation of it.

What part of this is factually wrong?
Double_R
Double_R
-->
@ILikePie5
I ask liberals at my university how many people are charged with insurrection and then show them the facts.
So if someone isn’t charged with a crime they didn’t commit one? Wow, great argument.
Double_R
Double_R
-->
@Athias
Let me remind you what this conversation began with some context.

You referred to January 6th as having been “staged”, thereby implying that some anti Trump mastermind was behind it all. So another user commented on that and you replied:

So run me a little more through this then.

These secret planners waited until after already having been declared victorious in the election to pull a stunt that would demonise Trump?

Then, they (these evil masterminds) failed to impeach him anyway?

Were the "democrats" not trying to impeach Trump after he lost the (s)election, which at the time was subject to scrutiny?
The dialog here pertaining to the staging of the event clearly shows that the alleged plotting to impeach Trump took place before January 6th. Therefore when I tell you I am not aware of any democrats plotting to impeach Trump after the election I’m clearly talking about the period before January 6th. So showing me an impeachment that took place after January 6th as a direct response to January 6th is completely irrelevant.
Athias
Athias
-->
@Double_R
Let me remind you what this conversation began with some context.

You referred to January 6th as having been “staged”, thereby implying that some anti Trump mastermind was behind it all.
Not really a "mastermind," more like a non-public sponsor.

So another user commented on that and you replied:
RationalMadman.

The dialog here pertaining to the staging of the event clearly shows that the alleged plotting to impeach Trump took place before January 6th.
Astute deduction. One could reasonably presume that the staged event was planned before it actually occurred.

Therefore when I tell you I am not aware of any democrats plotting to impeach Trump after the election I’m clearly talking about the period before January 6th
No you weren't. You just needed time to come up with some reason to explain away your folly.

So showing me an impeachment that took place after January 6th as a direct response to January 6th is completely irrelevant
Unless the claim is the event was staged in order to give pretext to that farcical second impeachment because the first impeachment was unsuccessful. But my response was directly aimed at your statement:

I know of no democrat who set their sights on impeaching Trump after the election.
With no specified date. Not that it would have mattered anyway.

ILikePie5
ILikePie5
-->
@Double_R
So if someone isn’t charged with a crime they didn’t commit one? Wow, great argument.
If it’s an insurrection, why wasn’t anyone charged with? 

Calling it an insurrection is a lie if no one was charged and convicted with it
Double_R
Double_R
-->
@Athias
Astute deduction. One could reasonably presume that the staged event was planned before it actually occurred.
Yeah, no shit. And since that was the topic not only of the specific statement I replied to but is also the point of this thread, it is beyond obvious to anyone paying attention that I was talking about the post election period before January 6th.

No you weren't. You just needed time to come up with some reason to explain away your folly.
No, you just need to learn how to understand context and the role it plays in conversation.

But my response was directly aimed at your statement:

No, it was aimed at the statement you imagined. One that had nothing to do with anything said before it, which is an absurd way to have a discussion.
Double_R
Double_R
-->
@ILikePie5
“If person X was not charged with a crime, then person X did not commit said crime”

Is this a logical fallacy? Yes or No?
Athias
Athias
-->
@Double_R
Yeah, no shit. And since that was the topic not only of the specific statement I replied to but is also the point of this thread, it is beyond obvious to anyone paying attention that I was talking about the post election period before January 6th.
You can beat that dead horse all you want.

No, you just need to learn how to understand context and the role it plays in conversation.
Yes, sir.

No, it was aimed at the statement you imagined. One that had nothing to do with anything said before it, which is an absurd way to have a discussion.
And both you and I have indulged an absurd way to have a discussion. Enjoy your day.

ILikePie5
ILikePie5
-->
@Double_R
“If person X was not charged with a crime, then person X did not commit said crime”

Is this a logical fallacy? Yes or No?
I mean that’s how the justice system works. Innocent until proven guilty. At the same time though, many people are charged with it but found innocent, which is completely different than not being charged in the first place.

So let me ask you this: why didn’t the Justice Department charge anyone with insurrection 
Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@ILikePie5
So let me ask you this: why didn’t the Justice Department charge anyone with insurrection 

Insufficient evidence.
ILikePie5
ILikePie5
-->
@Greyparrot
Insufficient evidence.
Who would’ve guessed
Double_R
Double_R
-->
@ILikePie5
I mean that’s how the justice system works. Innocent until proven guilty.
And there is the problem; you’re trying to pass off a legal argument as a colloquialism.

When we talk about an insurrection at the Capitol, we’re talking about what it actually was according to the definition of the word “insurrection” and basic logic. From there we put those together to form a reasonable belief of what occurred.

But “reasonable belief” is not the standard in the justice system, so no one is charged according to that. The justice system also evaluates one individual at a time, it does not step back and look at the big picture of what happened.

So this tactic of pretending you’re the reasonable one by using legal terms and standards is nonsense. It does not apply to any reasonable evaluation of that day.

Ask the justice department. It’s not relevant to our discussion, although some of what I just said should provide a few clues.

ILikePie5
ILikePie5
-->
@Double_R
If there is, as you and Democrats proclaim, a conspiracy to commit insurrection, then there should be at least one charge along those lines. 

Otherwise, it’s called trespassing and vandalism, which coincidentally have been the charges most people have faced. Walking into the Capitol isn’t an “insurrection.”

And there is the problem; you’re trying to pass off a legal argument as a colloquialism.

When we talk about an insurrection at the Capitol, we’re talking about what it actually was according to the definition of the word “insurrection” and basic logic. From there we put those together to form a reasonable belief of what occurred.
Your “colloquialism” is intentionally misleading. Saying a man willfully violated a woman vs a man raped a woman mean the same thing, but the connotation is different. Saying people committed insurrection when most just trespassed and vandalized is intentionally misleading.

Makes sense though. Keep diverting attention from all of Biden’s failures: Afghanistan, Border, Supply Chain, COVID, Filibuster, Build Back Better

Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@ILikePie5
Makes sense though. Keep diverting attention from all of Biden’s failures: Afghanistan, Border, Supply Chain, COVID, Filibuster, Build Back Better

The 30 percenters are Mentally Sharp my friend. Or so they claim.

Double_R
Double_R
-->
@ILikePie5
If there is, as you and Democrats proclaim, a conspiracy to commit insurrection, then there should be at least one charge along those lines. 
So we’re back to “if person X isn’t charged with a crime, no crime was committed”. I’ll remember that one.

Saying people committed insurrection when most just trespassed and vandalized is intentionally misleading.
Actually the latter is what’s intentionally misleading. You completely ignore the fact that the charge of insurrection, like most charges in law, depend on the person’s intent which is easy to deduce but extremely difficult to prove beyond a reasonable doubt.

Saying they just vandalized and trespassed is blatantly disingenuous. We know why they were there, we know what they wanted, they told us so. For you to pretend that these people just happened to be there and happened to waltz themselves in just makes you unserious to talk to.

Is that really the best list you could come up with? lol

I’m especially intrigued by you putting Covid on that list. Please explain to me how that is Biden’s failure when it is entirely driven by republicans and their voters refusing to get vaccinated or put in place any restriction that could possibly keep the virus in check.

bmdrocks21
bmdrocks21
-->
@Double_R
They’re is nothing valid about bringing up the summer riots *in response* to the question of what your views are regarding January 6th. Nothing.

I disagree. You can't view view this rare case of right-wing rioting without considering the massive left-wing rioting that occurred less than a year before. They saw rioters 1) getting what they demanded and 2) for the most part having no backlash.

So they mistakenly thought they would also get what they wanted and not suffer consequences.

There is also nothing valid about comparing them. The summer riots were a period of national civil unrest over a longstanding contentious issue, the final straw of which being sparked by a video taken by bystanders and spread over social media.

January 6th was the culmination of a political plot to steal an election.

In other words, the summer riots was an uprising from the bottom up, Jan 6th was pushed from the top down starting with the president of the United States.
The riots throughout the summer were 100% forced from the top-down. The cause was less rapid than the singular event on Jan 6, but the lies spread in the media about high-profile cases over a course of about half a decade led to that rioting.

Moreover, when we talk about January 6th we’re not talking about property damage, we’re talking about the security of the US Capitol and of our democracy. So this is not even the same conversation.

These two things do not compare in any way.
But exactly how was democracy threatened? These people were clearly not involved in an attempted coup (without any weapons and the only killing being against the rioters). They were a bunch of MAGA boomers who saw shady stuff going on in the election and were showing off how pissed they were. They broke the law by breaking and entering, as well as trespassing. They should be prosecuted to the extent they are guilty.

However, any attempt at framing it as a coup or insurrection just seems disingenuous to me.

Ok, it was “somewhat bad”. Thanks for that.

You're welcome.

On January 6th the US Capitol was taken over by a hostile force, forcing congress to have to evacuate in the middle of certifying the next president, the people who carried this out overwhelmingly stated that they were there on behalf of the sitting president of the United States who didn’t do or say anything about it till three hours into it, and to this day he has never given any serious condemnation of it.

What part of this is factually wrong?
Sounds only somewhat bad to me. That hostile force? No guns, no killing. Delaying certification of a president by what? A day? The president told them to go home on the day of. I'm failing to see how this could in a genuine and serious way appear to be an attempted overthrowing of an election. The only bad part was high property damage. But again, that damage and the death toll are negligible compared to... you guess it!
Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@bmdrocks21
However, any attempt at framing it as a coup or insurrection just seems disingenuous to me.

At least Guy Fawkes had actual gunpowder. 
ILikePie5
ILikePie5
-->
@bmdrocks21
It’s all optics for them. Just look at the “mostly peaceful protests.” Same scenario here

The Democrats and their propaganda arm in the media are willfully misleading the American populace.
RationalMadman
Debates: 565
RationalMadman
-->
@ILikePie5
The Democrats and their propaganda arm in the media are willfully misleading the American populace.