Debates: 3
3RU7AL
PROPOSAL TO END ALL MODERATION "PROBLEMS"

moderation almost always only happens when a user complains

i propose we implement a "mutual-mute" feature

this would make the "problem user" invisible to the complainer

AND

this would also make the complainer invisible to the "problem user"

the mods could make an OPTIONAL moderator-muted-list of users they deemed "inappropriate" so they would be invisible to the public and also invisible to all site members - UNLESS - site members un-checked the OPTIONAL moderator-muted-list
Barney
Debates: 50
Barney
-->
@Lunatic
A better response is to explain in great detail why this is such an important rule to upkeep in general.
As previously alluded,  "locking them keeps the main forum from looking like a darkest timeline version of the personal forum."

I don't believe expanding the rules with a thesis about it is merited; but much like the efforts to remove the "no insult" rule, this too can be changed by a referendum.

To get to the bottom of this we need a clear understanding of how my thread was overall more harmful than his thread against airmax.
I'll add that one is attacking a campaign eligibility which if it proved valid could affect the whole site, the other is escalation of what should usually be handled in the threads to which they originated.

Requesting I change a post, while not requiring it, is still mod intervention
Yes. It was an attempt at taking a small action to deescalate part of a situation. For some reason the guy finds his own made-up name on a screenshot to be antagonizing, to me it's a simple fix to antagonize him less via concealing said name.

Publicly warning me about ettique is mod intervention.
On that one, you crossed a line with putting things he had not said inside double quotation marks. I'm pretty sure we've all seen how badly that gets out of hand.

You are setting a standard that the reporter is automatically the victim while maintaining you do not read context. 
That's really reaching.

I think I've done well in preventing that from becoming the standard. I've rejected and humiliated multiple proposals for rules to the effect of if someone gets reported they should automatically be banned, and I've made posts like this: https://www.debateart.com/forum/topics/4154-someone-is-secretly-admiring-me-on-dart?page=1&post_number=21

You can scroll through your recent posts to see how many have the little green reviewed box, and compare that to the small fraction which received any intervention; further to my knowledge none of the interventions were harmful to you. I'm not screaming "leave Britney alone!" Rather I am reviewing snippets of behavior when asked to do so, and usually scratching my head for why someone thinks every it's worth my time (recent issues with someone on the religion forum thinking their close acquaintance is too repetitive comes to mind).
RationalMadman
Debates: 564
RationalMadman
-->
@3RU7AL
That sounds more corrupt than anything I have ever heard mods do in my whole life.

That would be gaslighting of the most extreme kind and be so cruel to the user deemed inappropriate.
Polytheist-Witch
Debates: 1
Polytheist-Witch
-->
@3RU7AL
And that is exactly what the atheists have been working for in the religion forum. Removing all theists from the site. All one has to do is complain. This is the guy who wanted fair moderation basically if somebody complains about you you become invisible. I can't think of a bigger POS on the site.
Vader
Debates: 30
Vader
-->
@3RU7AL
Absolutely not
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@Barney
and usually scratching my head for why someone thinks every it's worth my time
exactly
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@RationalMadman
That sounds more corrupt than anything I have ever heard mods do in my whole life.

That would be gaslighting of the most extreme kind and be so cruel to the user deemed inappropriate.
it's basically an enhancement to the current "block" function you're such a big fan of already
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@Polytheist-Witch
And that is exactly what the atheists have been working for in the religion forum. Removing all theists from the site. All one has to do is complain. This is the guy who wanted fair moderation basically if somebody complains about you you become invisible. I can't think of a bigger POS on the site.
YOU ONLY BECOME INVISIBLE TO THE SPECIFIC PERSON WHO BLOCKS YOU

YOU DO NOT BECOME INVISIBLE TO ANYONE WHO HAS NOT BLOCKED YOU
RationalMadman
RationalMadman
-->
@3RU7AL
the mods could make an OPTIONAL moderator-muted-list of users they deemed "inappropriate" so they would be invisible to the public and also invisible to all site members - UNLESS - site members un-checked the OPTIONAL moderator-muted-list
This is something else entirely.

Have you ever considered I'd not be a fan of the block button if it disallowed me to read content?
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@Vader
this is basically an enhancement to the current "block" function

full account bans could still be implemented - but they would be much less common and much less urgent

AND this would completely automate the current "restraining order" system
RationalMadman
RationalMadman
-->
@3RU7AL

That's a lie, it just depends what the mods feel like.

the mods could make an OPTIONAL moderator-muted-list of users they deemed "inappropriate" so they would be invisible to the public and also invisible to all site members - UNLESS - site members un-checked the OPTIONAL moderator-muted-list

3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@RationalMadman
Have you ever considered I'd not be a fan of the block button if it disallowed me to read content?
why would you block someone and then continue to read their posts and reply to them ?
RationalMadman
RationalMadman
-->
@3RU7AL
why would you block someone and then continue to read their posts and reply to them ?
Stop with the ad hominem, you are such a fucking poser it's actually hilarious. You do ad hominem as much as anybody else.

This isn't about me, it's about your proposal. I don't need to justify a single thing I do in order to say your proposal is what it is.
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@RationalMadman

That's a lie, it just depends what the mods feel like.
IT CAN'T BE A "LIE" BECAUSE IT'S A PROPOSAL
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@RationalMadman
This isn't about me, it's about your proposal. I don't need to justify a single thing I do in order to say your proposal is what it is.
hypothetically speaking - if you find an account offensive - why would you want to continue to read what they write ?
Athias
Debates: 20
Athias
-->
@3RU7AL
Sounds like a great idea. Rather than moderation determining behavior through their abritrary qualification, the forum can be allowed to let "trend" create a composite of both acceptable and unacceptable behavior. The selling point is: it's voluntary.
Lunatic
Lunatic
-->
@whiteflame
but within the context of the election at least, I can see why mods must have increased discretion (given that the election process is new to the site and not all the rules were solidly established).
100%

With regards to whether we should have locked this particular thread, I'll make my opinion clear. Personally, I think that instances like this where each side has instigated a back and forth that has persisted in some form over the course of several days, I couldn't view it as harassment, even if RM does. The policy regarding callout threads is there to prevent harassment, and in instances where they are one-sided (i.e. one side has consistently instigated and makes the callout thread, despite repeated requests to stop from the other party and a lack of engagement from them), I think locks on callout threads are warranted.
This is stiill a better outlook on it then I've seen from the other mods so far so I will take it. But to take it to another level, even in situations where you described I think mod intervention isn't neccesarily, especially with the addition of the blocking feature. I think it's on the onus of the party to just ignore the other person at that point. That particular example doesn't apply to this situation however as it seems you agree. 

It's a whole lot harder to justify in an instance where interactions are two-sided, largely because it's just an extension of what has been going on in other threads bubbling over into a new thread. That can be a bit spammy at times, but I don't think it necessarily warrants locking the thread, and I wouldn't say that this rose to the level of spam.
Thankyou. Any chance you can unlock that thread in light of this?

Creating less work for ourselves isn't a priority, though I wouldn't say that this was tremendously involved. Rather than a question of how much work it creates for us, though, it seems that your point is that we shouldn't be putting the onus of one user's behavior on others. To that end, I agree that we shouldn't value the reporter over the context of what's being reported. We don't just take the reporter's word for it that a given response is warranted, though I'll fully admit that we don't always come to a decision having become fully aware of the context. So, when it comes to this decision, I respect that there were good reasons to let the thread stand as it was. 

Thankyou.

I also find it somewhat difficult to know where we as moderation should draw the line with regards to what is appropriate within the election period as compared with what is appropriate in general, which becomes more difficult to know when the target of criticism is no longer a candidate. It was simple for us to establish a carve out for existing candidates and agree that it was appropriate for them to be the target of callout threads. We had not established a similar carve out for active participants in the election who are not (or are no longer) candidates. This is something we should have discussed, especially given the blurred lines you mentioned. And I respect as well that, in the face of uncertainty, it may have been better not to intervene. We employ that standard in other areas of moderation, so this wouldn't have been the first time.
In regards to trying to figure out a line and where to draw it, I think less is better. I would focus attention probably only on serious stuff, like doxxing (real doxxing, not what RM thinks is doxxing), and abuse of site functions like forum spam, vote bombing etc. Saves you a lot of unneccary controversy when making decisions like this, and opens more avenues for users to debate and prove why they are right instead of having mods intervene for them.

That being said, we are trying to balance discretion pertinent to the election with adherence to the standards as they exist. Though this thread is only pertinent within the context of the election, if a similar thread existed outside of the election period, its context wouldn't affect our decision with regards to locking it. Applying that type of decision-making here may not have been the best move, but we're new to leading this process ourselves and learning from it. I don't say this to excuse our call - and for all that people are making this Ragnar's responsibility, it is our call, Ragnar just acted on it - but just to give some insight into what we've been considering before and after we made that call. If it leads to bigger changes (both to how and where moderation acts) that improve the site far beyond this election, all the better for it.
I am not calling out ragnar just for the sake of calling him out, I have been dm'ing him on discord and talking about this professionally with him. There is no animosity between he and I, we go way back and I consider him a friend. I was asked to be a mod a couple years ago, and I said no specifically because I didn't want to refrain from being able to post how I want. I can be very professional and stone faced when neccesary but it kind of ruins the fun of a site like this for me, I found out when I was president. Anyways, I was invited to that discord to be an advisor, so that's all I am trying to do is advice. My critique of ragnar is and always has been that he is very well meaning, very hard working, but sometimes makes decisions without entirely thinking them through, such as what happened here. I am only suggesting more caution when taking moderation action in the future, especially since both of you have seemed to agree with me that this dispute isn't as one sided as RM keeps attempting to spin it. 

Thanks for your response whiteflame, I have nothing but respect for you. 
Lunatic
Lunatic
-->
@Barney
A better response is to explain in great detail why this is such an important rule to upkeep in general.
As previously alluded,  "locking them keeps the main forum from looking like a darkest timeline version of the personal forum."

I don't believe expanding the rules with a thesis about it is merited; but much like the efforts to remove the "no insult" rule, this too can be changed by a referendum.
I mean RM posts non-sense threads almost weekly with random raps, or poems in here lol. I don't think what forum something is in really matters all that much, it more sounds like post-justification. I would rather see non relevant material in the main forum than tumbleweeds anyway though. 

To get to the bottom of this we need a clear understanding of how my thread was overall more harmful than his thread against airmax.
I'll add that one is attacking a campaign eligibility which if it proved valid could affect the whole site, the other is escalation of what should usually be handled in the threads to which they originated.
Both threads were related to the campaign however. My thread was addressing a political stratagem for Airmax to not respond to ruthless criticism. While that ruthless ciriticism mostly comes from one member (RM), it looks like a call out thread, but that's not entirely what it was. It was explaining publicly why airmax shouldn't have to respond to it, and that I would take the blunt force for him since RM was continually trying to manipulate airmax's image and bait airmax into an antagonistic response. The thread's purpose wasn't to belittle or hurt RM, that was just a side effect. RM however feels belittled, hurt, victimized, abused, for even something as small as a dis-agreement about his favorite anime character as we have seen, so that should also be taken with a grain of salt shouldn't it?

Requesting I change a post, while not requiring it, is still mod intervention
Yes. It was an attempt at taking a small action to deescalate part of a situation. For some reason the guy finds his own made-up name on a screenshot to be antagonizing, to me it's a simple fix to antagonize him less via concealing said name.
Do you really think that would antagonize him less? My very existence antagonizes him. He is using the mods as a means to victory, not as a means to not being harmed. RM has frequently boasted in the past when mods have taken action over a report he has made. That's all this is to him, is another victory. 

There are more examples than this, I just don't want to dig them up. I was doing like 4 hours of research the other night for a mafia game I am making called "RationalMadman qoutes", and I found multiple threads in my research of him celebrating the bans of his enemies. 

Point is, I don't think something that "antagonizes" RM should be a priority for moderation to care about when it's well known that he uses moderation to ensure victory over his opponents. It is direct proof his motivation isn't to "not be harrassed", it's to get one up over those that dare say anything against him. Who the hell gives a crap if RM claims he feels antagonized. He is a grown adult, by continuing to feed his childish behavior we only encourage more of it. We aren't doing him any favors here or in the real world by indulging in these behaviors. 

Publicly warning me about ettique is mod intervention.
On that one, you crossed a line with putting things he had not said inside double quotation marks. I'm pretty sure we've all seen how badly that gets out of hand.
How does that get out of hand when it's an obvious sarcastic mis-qoute? I need you to substantiate this with a real example on the site please, not just metaphor either lol. Show me where someone has gone on believing a narrative about someone else based on an obvious and intentional misqoute by another user...

You are setting a standard that the reporter is automatically the victim while maintaining you do not read context. 
That's really reaching.

I think I've done well in preventing that from becoming the standard. I've rejected and humiliated multiple proposals for rules to the effect of if someone gets reported they should automatically be banned, and I've made posts like this: https://www.debateart.com/forum/topics/4154-someone-is-secretly-admiring-me-on-dart?page=1&post_number=21

You can scroll through your recent posts to see how many have the little green reviewed box, and compare that to the small fraction which received any intervention; further to my knowledge none of the interventions were harmful to you. I'm not screaming "leave Britney alone!" Rather I am reviewing snippets of behavior when asked to do so, and usually scratching my head for why someone thinks every it's worth my time (recent issues with someone on the religion forum thinking their close acquaintance is too repetitive comes to mind).

Okay so locking threads when you later admit there was little to no reason to do so based on gaining more context (Maybe you didn't say this, but whiteflame has admitted this now) is a step below banning, and that makes my point "reaching"? Really? Highlighting RM's temper tantrum inspired reporting spree and proving that you didn't outright ban me over any of those instances doesn't change the point. 

Your point to me feels like "I moderated in an unnessary situation, but it's justified because I only did a little unneccesary moderating instead of a lot of it"... Come on ragnar lol
Lunatic
Lunatic
@RationalCrybaby

You made the right call, I have been continually harassed by him and if you think I'm the insigator, you're not thinking back far enough in the past couple weeks.

I can show you an instance in the past day alone, after that incident, where he replies to Ramshutu insulting me and provoking me to defend myself.

He enjoys spreading shit about others and acting like he's the only one who can. I still want an RO between us.
Your are unstable mentally if you think that response to him was an attempt to "provoke you to defend" yourself. lol. Ramshutu used you as an example about why he can't debate people here without getting blocked, and I just referenced his example in trying to point out that moderation efforts being reduced when the block feature is already existing are kind of pointless, and further inhibit the activity he wants to see on the site. Stop trying to manipulate the mods and play victim. You literally just instigated this again. So if you want me to keep destroying you argumentatively, okay, get ready for round 5 of "RM can't let go of his love for lunatic".

In Lunatic's opinion if you are 'aggressive' in any way, he is able to be as rude and as nasty as he pleases to 'defend' against you which in his brain equals winning the argument as to him the aggression behind his post equals strength of argument made and if he gets the last word in a thread (which he confuses semantically to be last word cross-site in all exchanges) he thinks he therefore is the ultimate 'winner' of all arguments you've been having as he's 'broken' you mentally.
I've attempted to be very professional with you from the beginning RM. You are the one who always takes it to an emotional level. There is a reason I don't usually engage with you in the past. I know you have social issues based on your autism, so there really isn't a point in general, and I try to agree to dis-agree. 

That has been my philosophy on engaging with you in the past. The main reason I even bother to do it here is because of strategy reasons for supporting airmax. The more you attack him without a response, the more it let's potential voters buy into an untrue narrative. This isn't about you, it's about protecting the website and doing what's best for it by electing max as president. If you are in the way of my goal in achieving that, I will logically dispute anything you have to say. To play victim because you got outplayed argumentatively though, is just sad. 

What kind of person do you exactly think this is and how positive will they be for the website in the long run? This is a person who has just explicitly, for the umpteenth time, promised that unless his chosen candidate wins, he'll throw a strop (threatening a tantrum) and cry about the website and leave us.
You are manipulating what I've actually said. The post in the games forum actually said this: I kinda wanted to see how the elections go before doing any more mafia. If airmax becomes president, I want to try and help revive this and get new members, as well as old. If anyone other than airmax wins, I just want the site to finally die. 

Where does anything in there say I will throw a temper tantrum and leave? I am very against making over dramatic threads claiming to leave like that. That's your thread RM, you've done it like 10 times between here and DDO lol. If I am finding myself dis-interested from the site, I just go inactive like I was 3 months prior to hearing about the elections. 

I'm pretty fucking tired of this attitude Airmax and these 2 have, like ohhhh big bad Airmax if we don't vote him we're such ungrateful brats for the guy who didn't do jack shit for us the past few years ohhhh we will give you the win so you are appeased. You aren't special anymore, you're a background character. I'm only supporting their tantrum-based bargaining because I want the site to get popular and no other candidate gives that as a hard campaign promise.
These are all your words by the way lol, you have a very warped interpretation of reality. But yes, the only hope this site has at actually improving is allowing airmax to have a say in moderation decisions. The other stuff for increasing the websites general activity is just an added bonus. 
Lunatic
Lunatic
RM couldn't even go a day without re-instigating lol. What makes anyone think he could follow through with an RO when he can't stop thinking about me all day every day enough to resist making even one post about me in a 24 hour period lol
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@RationalMadman
giving each individual the ability to filter out content they personally find offensive is NOT "shadowbanning"

and giving mods an option to filter out content they deem "unfit" for public consumption is NO DIFFERENT FROM WHAT THEY ALREADY DO

the main difference here is that under my proposal - - people who are not easily offended could "uncheck" the OPTIONAL mod filter
ResurgetExFavilla
Debates: 0
ResurgetExFavilla
-->
@3RU7AL
It makes his pp hard and then he feels like a big man. He gets so mad about this proposal because he wants to be able to block people without it actually affecting the way he uses the site. He finds the very act of blocking to be erotic and wants to do it to as many people as possible, and making that act contingent on never seeing another poster's posts again means he'd actually have to to weigh the pros and cons instead of blocking people reflexively.
RationalMadman
RationalMadman
-->
@ResurgetExFavilla
Well done, everyone else is a fan of you and your schoolyard bully posts, bravo. *claps*
RationalMadman
RationalMadman
-->
@3RU7AL
Shadow banning, also called stealth banningghost banning or comment ghosting,[1] is the practice of blocking or partially blocking a user or their content from some areas of an online community in such a way that it will not be readily apparent to the user that they have been banned. For instance, shadow banned comments posted to a blog or media website will not be visible to other users accessing the site. Also, reducing the visibility, or impressions within the "main feed"

By partly concealing, or making a user's contributions invisible or less prominent to other members of the service, the hope may be that in the absence of reactions to their comments, the problematic or otherwise out-of-favour user will become bored or frustrated and leave the site, and that spammers and trolls will be discouraged to continue their unwanted behavior or create new accounts.[1][2][3]
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@RationalMadman
under my proposal

all moderator actions

would send a notification to the affected user

also

if someone blocked you

you would get a notification of the block
RationalMadman
RationalMadman
-->
@3RU7AL
Strange amendment.

How is this user meant to tell others to unmute them if they're completely muted?

Would it apply to PMs?
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@RationalMadman
Strange amendment.

How is this user meant to tell others to unmute them if they're completely muted?

Would it apply to PMs?
i have always believed that people who are ALREADY on your "friends list" should be able to be messaged - - even by a "banned" user

if someone doesn't want to be messaged - they can remove the user from their "friends list" and or "block" them
Lunatic
Lunatic
-->
@ResurgetExFavilla
It makes his pp hard and then he feels like a big man. He gets so mad about this proposal because he wants to be able to block people without it actually affecting the way he uses the site. He finds the very act of blocking to be erotic and wants to do it to as many people as possible, and making that act contingent on never seeing another poster's posts again means he'd actually have to to weigh the pros and cons instead of blocking people reflexively.
You are right in questioning his intentions with blocking, though I won't comment about the sexual arousal part of it. Blocking someone for him is a manipulative tool, a sort of threat that he doesn't realize is empty. He follows up with the block by seeking moderator action by spamming them with reports knowing they will probably do something so they don't have to deal with his reports anymore. Than when the mods do act, he takes it as a victory. He has been doing this for 3 years here and getting away with it. It's a way he can win any exchange without having to actually debate or prove logical prowess in the slightest. It's a slimy move, but from a guy like him it's to be expected. He has no moral value, and he bullies in this way while ironically claiming the other person is the bully. It's rather sad and pathetic, but as long as the mods cater to his behavior it will never change and he won't stop.

Lunatic
Lunatic
The way RM blocks people left right and sideways, you would assume he would be in support of shadow banning. That he is not shows that you should question the motives he has behind blocking people. It's all manipulation and mind games. 
Vader
Debates: 30
Vader
-->
@Lunatic
I don't know about other mods, but I haven't done that, in fact I deny more RM reports than approve