February Debate Tournament

Author: airmax1227

Total: 179
airmax1227
Debates: 0
airmax1227
Hey Dartians! Welcome to the sign-ups for the February DART Tournament. This Tournament will be hosted by Lunatic, who will handle all Tournament details and assist with whatever participants may need.

February DART Debate Tournament

Basic Debate rules:

4 rounds, 1st round acceptance, one-week voting period, 3-day argument time

This tournament will be for the first 8 people that sign up.

However, if 8 people have signed up already, please express your interest anyway, and if enough people are interested we can increase the participant number to 16 and/or start an additional tournament to run alongside this one.

This tournament will not have any topic restrictions. A list of suggested topics may be supplied, but debaters can choose whatever topic they agree on. However, once the Tournament challenge period begins, debaters will have a limited time to begin their debate. If time expires, the Tournament host will choose a random topic for them.

This is a basic vanilla tournament, and mostly as a gauge of interest and proof of concept. I intend to utilize other ideas in future tournaments, but wanted this one to be as basic as possible.

I'm looking forward to seeing an entertaining tournament. Good luck to all participants.

1)
2)
3)
4)
5)
6)
7)
8)
RationalMadman
Debates: 564
RationalMadman
-->
@airmax1227
And is it to be open-debate or unrated with preset judges?

The former is high risk high reward for those of us that care about the leaderboard or alternatively a more 'fun' version for those who don't care about the leaderboard but wanna knock someone down on it, whereas the latter allows  a much tougher crowd to engage who'd otherwise be weary.
airmax1227
airmax1227
And is it to be open-debate or unrated with preset judges?
Open and unrated.

This tournament is gona be pretty simple. In future tournaments I plan to consider some of the other options, especially with set tournament judges, but this is gona be as open as possible. If there are contentious voting issues the tournament host will resolve those issues.
RationalMadman
Debates: 564
RationalMadman
-->
@airmax1227
okay I mean I hope that it can not be super high pressure as in at least between debates there can be a break but either way I'd like to sign up.

The default round is 2 days per on this website but I will appreciate 3 days per instead.
airmax1227
airmax1227
okay I mean I hope that it can not be super high pressure as in at least between debates there can be a break but either way I'd like to sign up.

The default round is 2 days per on this website but I will appreciate 3 days per instead.
This is supposed to be a casual starting tournament, so I hope no one feels too much pressure... and there will be at least a few days between each round of the tournament.

I figure 3 days per round should make it a bit more casual.

It'll be nice to have you in the tournament, thanks for signing up.
airmax1227
airmax1227

1) RationalMadman
2)
3)
4)
5)
6)
7)
8)

whiteflame
Debates: 27
whiteflame
I won't enter the tournament, but I'll commit to voting on as many of these debates as possible.

For anyone who is in the tournament, if you want a vote from me, the best way to get it is to PM me (I tend to be pretty good at keeping track of those). Tagging me in the comments works as well, but I'm not always the best at tracking those.
Lunatic
Debates: 3
Lunatic
-->
@Tejretics
@Wylted
@oromagi
@Intelligence_06
@Bones
Interested?
Lunatic
Lunatic
-->
@Danielle
@ILikePie5
@sui_generis
@Mharman
@Exanimaa
Interested?
Tejretics
Debates: 7
Tejretics
-->
@airmax1227
I’m down. 

1) RationalMadman
2) Tejretics
3)
4)
5)
6)
7)
8)

David
Debates: 92
David
/in
Lunatic
Lunatic
1) RationalMadman
2) Tejretics
3) David
4)
5)
6)
7)
8)

Vader
Debates: 30
Vader
Activity jump to join!!!!!
Wylted
Debates: 34
Wylted
-->
@Lunatic
I am interested, but want to change user names for it. I feel like wylted and Kevin are becoming the same person, and I want to integrate the personalities better. Especially now that I feel like I don't need to spend so much time defending free speech here.

Prior to this I was trying to be a bit of a shield, because I knew it was tougher to ban me for extreme beliefs than less popular people. I don't feel I need to be that shield anymore.
ILikePie5
Debates: 2
ILikePie5
Won’t have time, sorry
Lunatic
Lunatic
1) RationalMadman
2) Tejretics
3) David
4) Kevin 
5)
6)
7)

Athias
Debates: 20
Athias
Count me in until I ask to be counted out.
Lunatic
Lunatic
1) RationalMadman
2) Tejretics
3) David
4) Kevin 
5) Athias
6)
7)

Lunatic
Lunatic
-->
@oromagi
@Sum1hugme
@Benjamin
@Bones
@DeprecatoryLogistician
Just need 3 more!
ComputerNerd
Debates: 15
ComputerNerd
Looks like fun, count me in!
Lunatic
Lunatic
1) RationalMadman
2) Tejretics
3) David
4) Kevin 
5) Athias
6) ComputerNerd
7)
8)

DeprecatoryLogistician
DeprecatoryLogistician
Im down
Lunatic
Lunatic
1) RationalMadman
2) Tejretics
3) David
4) Kevin 
5) Athias
6) ComputerNerd
7) DeprecatoryLogistician
8)

Benjamin
Debates: 92
Benjamin
I noticed this tournament just in time. Im down.
Lunatic
Lunatic
1) RationalMadman
2) Tejretics
3) David
4) Kevin 
5) Athias
6) ComputerNerd
7) DeprecatoryLogistician
8) Benjamin

Lunatic
Lunatic
-->
@David
@Tejretics
@Athias
@ComputerNerd
@DeprecatoryLogistician

I have Randomized the list, and here are the matchups for Round 1!

David VS RationalMadman
Athias VS ComputerNerd
DeprecatoryLogistician VS Tejretics
Wylted (Kevin) VS Benjamin

Please PM your opponent, agree on a topic, and start your debate within 1 week. Deadline will be February 7th to start your debate. If a debate topic isn't agreed upon I can provide one for you. If the deadline hits and there is no topic, whoever is holding up the discussions will forfeit round 1 to their opponent. Remember topics aren't strict here, but I would like to remind all participants that the purpose of this tournament is to advertise these debates on various social media networks with the intent to bring new users to the site. So topics about decisive current events are encouraged over debates about which anime character is stronger, for example. But no official rule will prevent you from doing the latter if that's what the users agree upon. 

Good luck to all debaters! Remember to link your debates here when they have started. I will do my best to advertise them to get votes, and will try and vote on all of them myself as well. 

Please refer to the OP for how your debate should be set up.
Lunatic
Lunatic
-->
@Wylted
@Benjamin
Tagging you for the above! ^
Tejretics
Tejretics
-->
@Lunatic
@airmax1227
Would you be open to debates being three rather than four rounds (or at least leaving the choice between three and four up to the debaters)?

Four rounds here is like five rounds on DDO, and I’d say there’s some disadvantages:
  • Four round debates could potentially extend the tournament well past February. The maximum possible time for a four-round debate is 72*4*2 = 576 hours, so a single debate could end up lasting 24 days. I’d imagine people, especially if they’re busy, would use most of the 72 hours, so I wouldn’t be surprised if the typical debate lasted ~20 days. 
  • Four rounds could disincentivize judges/raise the cost on judges. In fact, it could be pretty significant, because it’s not just “one more round to read” -- it’s an entire set of new responses on the flow to keep track of, which probably increases the time investment for judges by more than 25%.
I’d say three rounds is all you need for a reasonable “no new arguments in the final round” rule to continue working. 

Of course, it’s your tournament, and this is just a random thought from a participant (and it won’t affect whether I continue to participate or anything -- I’ve already signed up!). Thanks again for organizing this! <3

Lunatic
Lunatic
-->
@Tejretics
I suppose I can see your point with the "Acceptance round" not being neccesary, since the debates here allow you to set up definitions and terms as a precursor to accepting the debate (thus establishing the acceptance round). 

I am okay with bypassing an acceptance round if both debaters agree to it then in that case. For future tournaments we will probably just do away with that altogether. I am hoping in the mean time that debaters will submit arguments quickly and not spend a whole 3 days stalling the acceptance round. 
Tejretics
Tejretics
-->
@Lunatic
Oh, that's my bad -- I completely missed that the 1st round was for acceptance in the original post.