drafterman
Debates: 6
drafterman

Ramshutu
Debates: 43
Ramshutu
-->
@drafterman
if mods wanted to commit abuse - that reports are not anonymous are the LEAST of your problems.
RationalMadman
Debates: 568
RationalMadman
-->
@janesix
 If we don't trust the mods that's a TOTALLY different issue that this poll won't fix.
drafterman
drafterman
-->
@janesix
If you are talking about this:

Also, I can personally attest to the fact that the loss of anonymity didn't actually stop the report spamming that was going on. It provably isn't a solution to report spamming.
The answer is because I continued to report votes after anonymity was removed.
RationalMadman
RationalMadman
-->
@Ramshutu
yes YOU ARE TRULY SMART BUT YOU VOTE SO HORRIBLY, WHY?
Mopac
Debates: 4
Mopac

I don't report posts, even though I probably could. There is a member who likes to call me and others clown a whole lot. I was reprimanded for doing the same thing.

I don't really care. But since moderation seems to be randomly enforced, maybe it would be good to know who the accusers are.

So I'll just go ahead and vote no for anonymous reporting unless someone can convince me otherwise. I'm really on the fence.
RationalMadman
RationalMadman
look at the mentality of the guy supporting anonymity

The answer is because I continued to report votes after anonymity was removed.
- drafterman

In context of him report-spamming intentionally beforehand.
RationalMadman
RationalMadman
-->
@Mopac
You made the right choice and that's exactly a good example of the necessity of knowing who.
drafterman
drafterman
-->
@Ramshutu
I just want to clarify:

You believe that the current measures (limits on reporting) are insufficient to deal with reporting abuse;
Anonymity is required to sufficiently deal with reporting abuse;
The utility of anonymity to stem mod abuse is not significant
janesix
Debates: 12
janesix
-->
@drafterman
no, i am asking how the mods would be able to abuse the system
drafterman
drafterman

drafterman
drafterman
-->
@janesix
By contacting users based on their reports without a rule violation having been made.
Plisken
Debates: 0
Plisken
-->
@janesix
They can contact the users who made the report inappropriately, or they could dismiss reports by users they don't like/trust.
RationalMadman
RationalMadman
-->
@Plisken
You're stating a strength of non-anonymity: communication between mod and reporter.
Castin
Castin
-->
@DebateArt.com
@drafterman
Hmm. Currently, I am undecided.

Mike, can you tell me from a technical standpoint what the risks of DDOS attacks or general sabotage would be in an anonymous reporting system?

Plisken
Plisken
-->
@RationalMadman
I would prefer the option to remain anonymous over mandatory surrender of privacy.  

drafterman
drafterman

Vader
Debates: 30
Vader
Reporting should be anonymous

RationalMadman
RationalMadman
-->
@Plisken
I get your type, are you into Linux computing, VPNs, Tor and all that? I'd be happy to debate you on it.

The harms of a totally anonymous citizenry TO THEMSELVES is as bad as the harms of tyranny to the populace. That's right; severe anarchy where no one is accountable is actually equal or a tiny bit worse than absolute tyranny.
RationalMadman
RationalMadman
-->
@Vader
Why should it be anonymous?
Castin
Castin
-->
@DebateArt.com
Also, I'd be curious to hear your feedback on Brutal's post here: https://www.debateart.com/forum/topics/739?page=2&post_number=32
Plisken
Plisken
-->
@RationalMadman
I don't believe moderators get everyone's "type".  What potential harm is there in an anonymous report judged according to the rules?
RationalMadman
RationalMadman
-->
@DebateArt.com
@Castin
@David
@bsh1
@3RU7AL
That doesn't allow them to help noobs report better (or to follow-up actively to more introverted users who don't message the mods).
RationalMadman
RationalMadman
-->
@Plisken
Major lack of benefits. Do you believe in the least shit scenario being the best or the most-beneficial scenario being the best?
Ramshutu
Debates: 43
Ramshutu
-->
@drafterman
There are abusive ways of using your reporting power that can be used, have been used, and will be used, and have been abused repeatedly over the history of the internet. Nuisance reporting, mallicious singling out of peoeple, and time wasting - even with reporting limits - are all actual abuses that can, do and will occur if people know there is no comeback to a report and if the mods won’t know who you are.

This is, as opposed to the theoretical, and arbitrary “abuse”, of some theoretical moderator who somehow manages to use reporting information - howndoesnt seem to be immediately clear -  in an abusive way that I have never seen happen in all my use of being on internet discussion forums with reporting.

This should be a non argument. There is no legitimate reason I can think of why anonymity on a discussion forum like this, is necessary in order to make some claim about other people.
Plisken
Plisken
-->
@RationalMadman
Is there a need for noobs to report better?  

RationalMadman
RationalMadman
-->
@Plisken
I am not a mod so I can't say and if I was I couldn't say due to privacy rules.
RationalMadman
RationalMadman
-->
@Plisken
As the site gets much bigger, it absolutely will be an issue, yes.
drafterman
drafterman
-->
@Ramshutu
I feel as if these points have already been addressed thoroughly.

There are abusive ways of using your reporting power that can be used, have been used, and will be used, and have been abused repeatedly over the history of the internet. Nuisance reporting, mallicious singling out of peoeple, and time wasting - even with reporting limits - are all actual abuses that can, do and will occur if people know there is no comeback to a report and if the mods won’t know who you are.
But the high volume reporting that was going on was fixed without needing to rely on report anonymity, nor did the loss of anonymity stop the high volume of reports. Do you disbelieve me when I say this?

This is, as opposed to the theoretical, and arbitrary “abuse”, of some theoretical moderator who somehow manages to use reporting information - howndoesnt seem to be immediately clear -  in an abusive way that I have never seen happen in all my use of being on internet discussion forums with reporting.
But it isn't theoretical. It actually happened.

RationalMadman
RationalMadman
nor did the loss of anonymity stop the high volume of reports. Do you disbelieve me when I say this?
- Drafterman

HAHAHAHAHA... You decided to keep intentionally spamming reports to them forcing them to make a 10-vote-cap on reports daily just due to you. If I'd been mod I swear to you on anything precious to me, I'd have banned you for a week flat out. You understand that 'report spam' should be a violation and a bannable one if it continues after communicating with the spammer, do you not?