POLL: Should Reporting Be Anonymous?

Author: drafterman

Total: 312
drafterman
Debates: 6
drafterman
-->
@PGA2.0
That's an entirely separate issue. I don't think that the identity of a reporter will ever be given to the person against whom the report was made. The mods would always be a third party in that relationship.

Also, reports aren't "accusations" other than to flag something on the site for the mods to review against the CoC. Your "defense" is resides in whether or not the comment or vote reported is against the rules are not. If you follow the rules of the site, then no amount of reporting should ever harm you (nor should you even be aware of it).

With respect to the mods knowing who makes reports, where do you stand?
Polytheist-Witch
Debates: 1
Polytheist-Witch
-->
@drafterman
If you had not abused the reporting system we wouldn't be here. 
RationalMadman
Debates: 569
RationalMadman
-->
@Polytheist-Witch
Do you vote against report-anonymity?
drafterman
drafterman
-->
@Polytheist-Witch
Correct, but not in the way you intend.

The revocation of anonymity was given to the mods incidentally, not in response to any specific event happening on the site. So we wouldn't be here, not because things would still be anonymous, but because we wouldn't know about it. We only know about it because the mods decided to act upon that knowledge.

But is that a good thing? Is it good for bad rules and bad configurations to persist simply because they are unnoticed by the site?

Are you ok with the mods having knowledge of who makes what reports?
RationalMadman
RationalMadman
Drafterman, why were they honest about it? Why did they do a thing? You're only proving them to be both alert (considering how fast they adapted to the lack of anonymity) and benevolent/honest in that they not only immediately used it well, they did their level best to tell the biggest enemy they have on the site an issue they had with his reporting which they knew for a fact would reveal the absence of anonymity.
Polytheist-Witch
Polytheist-Witch
-->
@drafterman
If YOU had not abused the reporting system WE would not be here.
Polytheist-Witch
Polytheist-Witch
-->
@RationalMadman
Yes I vote against it. Most sites the mods can tell who is reporting what. 

drafterman
drafterman
-->
@Polytheist-Witch
Yes, I agree to this point. I disagree that us being here is a bad thing, but I digress.
drafterman
drafterman

Polytheist-Witch
Polytheist-Witch
-->
@drafterman
This isn't an adult site. It's sad it's associated with debate in any way. 
Vaarka
Debates: 0
Vaarka
yes
RationalMadman
RationalMadman
-->
@Vaarka
Reasoning?
drafterman
drafterman

PGA2.0
Debates: 7
PGA2.0
-->
@RationalMadman
That will be an issue. The reporter should be anonymous to non-mods unless the reporter wishes to come out publicly. Do you agree that to mods themselves, reporters should not be anonymous?

The latter is the only debate at hand.

How will a person reported be able to change there behavior unless they are made aware of the grievance? I got flagged the other day in the comment section of a debate (Reports have been handled) and I have no idea why. If it was my fault then I will take measures to change the behavior. As long as the moderators handle the complaints by taking into account bias I can rest assured. In such situations am I able to defend myself for I question why I was flagged? I suspect it was the language, but it was not my words. I was quoting another person without using the quote function. Big mistake if that was the reason.

PGA2.0
PGA2.0
-->
@drafterman
That's an entirely separate issue. I don't think that the identity of a reporter will ever be given to the person against whom the report was made. The mods would always be a third party in that relationship.

Also, reports aren't "accusations" other than to flag something on the site for the mods to review against the CoC. Your "defense" is resides in whether or not the comment or vote reported is against the rules are not. If you follow the rules of the site, then no amount of reporting should ever harm you (nor should you even be aware of it).

With respect to the mods knowing who makes reports, where do you stand?

Okay, thanks!

Yes, the mods should know who made the report.

Outplayz
Outplayz
-->
@drafterman
What are your reason for wanting it to be anonymous? I can't see why so initially i vote no. 
RationalMadman
RationalMadman
-->
@Outplayz
Why do you ask him and not me?
RationalMadman
RationalMadman
-->
@PGA2.0
Do you mean your vote or something else you posted?

If you have an inquiry on why something you posted or voted is green-checked or something, let the mods know and they can tell you why without revealing the identity of the reporter. I still agree with you on everything you said and understand how lack of reporter-anonymity helps resolves such situations from the mod's point of view.
Outplayz
Outplayz
-->
@RationalMadman
Well go ahead and tell me but you're against it. I wanted to hear why he's for it. But i guess you can tell me why you're against it. 
drafterman
drafterman
-->
@Outplayz
In addition to the points I made in the OP, I think there is a general principle that they should have as minimal power as needed and they simply don't need access to that information.
Outplayz
Outplayz
-->
@drafterman
Change my vote to yes. 
drafterman
drafterman

RationalMadman
RationalMadman
-->
@Outplayz
The answer is no. No site has anonymous reporting that is reputable to the highest mod level. It is important that mods know who is reporting for the wrong reasons and also who is reporting well so as to then contact the reporter(s) about the issue if the mod feels the reporter needs assurance the issue is being dealt with of if the reporter themselves is in the wrong somehow (or just to elaborate on context).

IF IT'S ANONYMOUS, IT WILL ENABLE DDOS ATTACKS TO GO UNANSWERED OR NO ONE HELD ACCOUNTABLE EVEN THEIR IP OR ANYTHING!

Also, when adding a reason for reporting gets added how will they be able to moderate against a person whose reason for reporting is 'I fuck her right in the pussy!'

If we don't trust the mods that's a TOTALLY different issue that this poll won't fix.

If the mods are that corrupt/lazy/malignant, we need to replace them. That should be the only solution. If they were that corrupt, why would they be honest about the lack of anonymity in the first place?
The ones voting 'for' assume the minimalist, least-effort, least-benefit moderation system is optimal. It's not.

Swagnarok
Swagnarok
I think that the reporting should usually be anonymous, but if the mods think that it looks suspicious in some circumstances then they should be able to check the IP address of the sender(s).
Outplayz
Outplayz
-->
@RationalMadman
At this point, i think there should be an option for anym. or not. It's better to let a person decide. I'm libertarian in that sense. 
3RU7AL
Debates: 3
3RU7AL
-->
@drafterman
I like this idea and it's sensible, but I don't know what level of coding it would require for Mike.

Thanks for the vote.
Can you perhaps add "In favor of using anonymous codes as a proxy for usernames" to see how many people would vote for that option?

I think we could get a majority consensus by adding that third option.

In favor of using anonymous codes as a proxy for usernames - 2

bsh1
Debates: 14
bsh1
I am not going to vote in this thread--I'd like to see where the site public lies, not where the mods stand. That being said, I am going to follow this thread and may post an update which reflects on this and some other developments after this thread has been up at least 48 hours (time for adequate comment). 
Username
Debates: 9
Username
-->
@drafterman
I vote yes.
drafterman
drafterman

drafterman
drafterman
-->
@3RU7AL
I think we should tackle a single issue at a time.