Debates: 2
ILikePie5
Anyone who I don’t like
Reece101
Debates: 1
Reece101
-->
@ILikePie5
Someone who elaborates that they assume some people are good within an ethnic group. 

Lemming
Debates: 6
Lemming
-->
@Barney
@3RU7AL
@oromagi
@ADreamOfLiberty
What 'qualifies as a race?
Say there is an African American, and a Caucasian, and they both have Albinism,
And some African American or Caucasian without Albinism discriminates against them for their genetics as Albinos,
Would the first two people mentioned qualify as an Albino race?
ADreamOfLiberty
Debates: 0
ADreamOfLiberty
-->
@Lemming
Doesn't matter. The error of racism is fundamentally one of irrationality. People choose their own character and their skills and intelligence individually vary well beyond any slight genotype variation. It is thus always irrational to evaluate character or skill by the kind of vast genetic categories that are always advanced as potential races.

When a genotypic category has a rational use it always carries a context with it and that defines the qualifications that matter. So all albinos have a vulnerability to radiation. Sickle cell anemia is highly associated with people having a lot of melanin but the melanin isn't the defining characteristic. If you want to call people with a genetic disease a race why not but so long as you only treat the category with the rational implications thereof there is no error.

If you treat people with albinism like they shouldn't be employed in the sun without protective clothing that's discrimination based on genes but it's not irrational.
Lemming
Lemming
-->
@ADreamOfLiberty
So rational racism is okay, but not 'irrational racism?
ADreamOfLiberty
ADreamOfLiberty
-->
@Lemming
So rational racism is okay, but not 'irrational racism?

The definition of racism I gave was:

It is the notion of ascribing moral, social or political significance to a man’s genetic lineage
Say if there was a truly isolated subspecies like some homo erectus thing that was the most human like thing imaginable but the most intelligent homo erectus was below the lower standard deviation of the IQ of homo sapiens.

Nothing in the universe prevents such a speciation event from occurring but it didn't, there is one human species and the genetic homogeneity is decreasing and has been for hundreds of thousands of years. The reality we face is extremely minor genetic factors and comparatively enormous cultural and personal factors. In that reality racism as Rand and I define it is never rational.

When the rule has exceptions it's not a rule, the rejection of racism is the demand to evaluate each person for what they are because the pre-judgements [see prejudice] are unreliable.
Lemming
Lemming
-->
@ADreamOfLiberty
Ah, so you don't believe in the existence of different races, among humans today?
ADreamOfLiberty
ADreamOfLiberty
-->
@Lemming
It is a bit strange but my definition of racism did not include or rely upon a definition of race. Rather the generic "genetic lineage"

I believe in the existence of genetic lineage, I don't believe there is any frequent gene in any human population that has such a profound effect that moral, social, or political questions could be answered regardless of the person's choices and culture.

An infrequent gene might be down sydrome.
zedvictor4
Debates: 22
zedvictor4
-->
@Lemming
Depends upon how one chooses to define race.

The dictionary gives several options.

For example.....A competition to see who can get there first.
3RU7AL
Debates: 3
3RU7AL
-->
@Lemming
What 'qualifies as a race?
some think it means skin color

some think it means culture

some think it means language

some think it means religion

some think it means the relative geographic scope of your great grandparent's birthplace

in the united states, they send you a piece of paper every ten years

and you get to self-define

and there is no guideline included

and there is no cross-check verification
Lemming
Lemming
-->
@3RU7AL
Sounds very easy to be, or be called a racist, then.

9 days later

Mharman
Debates: 23
Mharman
-->
@zedvictor4
I’m incredibly racist against all Formula One racing and believe in NASCAR supremacy.
Mharman
Mharman
Jokes aside, it is a belief in a supreme or inferior race. When it comes to humor or a debate or argument in the subject, one should be very careful to pin down exactly what another person means before they throw out such an accusation.
zedvictor4
Debates: 22
zedvictor4
-->
@Mharman
Have you read the whole thread?

I seriously consider things, but like to throw in the odd bit of cynicism and satire for good measure.

And I would suggest that race supremacy is a more extreme  extension of natural discrimination. And very much a multi-ethnic condition.

Mharman
Mharman
-->
@zedvictor4
Meh. Not reading all that. I'd rather make a quick joke, then post my thoughts.
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@Mharman
Jokes aside, it is a belief in a supreme or inferior race.
and the situation in rwanda proves that "race" is purely arbitrary
Mharman
Mharman
-->
@3RU7AL
To be more specific, a race is a large group of people of common ancestry and origin with the accompanying similar genetics. Ethnicity is similar but it is a smaller group with a more specific origin, ancestry, and genetics.
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@Mharman
a large group of people of common ancestry
purely arbitrary
Barney
Debates: 50
Barney
-->
@3RU7AL
While there are shared physical and cultural traits, the way racists use it is indeed arbitrary and frequently contradictory.
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@Mharman
Ethnicity is similar but it is a smaller group with a more specific origin, ancestry, and genetics.
would you call the rwandan conflict "racist" or "ethnicist" ?
Mharman
Mharman
-->
@3RU7AL
Ethnicist genocide would probably be the most accurate term there. Although I’m not going to care if anyone calls it a racist genocide; the two terms are so similar- so they describe basically the same evil act.

3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@Mharman
i can just imagine someone saying, "how dare you call me a racist!!!!!  i'm actually an ethnicist!!!!!"

10 days later

Lemming
Lemming
-->
@Barney
Working on my fantasy genre game/story,
And just a musing on races came back, reason for post.

But I don't see why  "superior or inferior" would or should matter to individuals who actively discriminate against others based on race,
To my mind, the reason people grab hold of racism, is the ingroup outgroup idea,
I imagine racists still defend weak members of their own 'race, and don't invite members of outgroup 'race to their house to meet their sister, improve their group through eugenics.

Though I suppose in stereotypes, and policies, people intentionally hire or avoid hiring certain groups,
Which would often be because of their 'notion, that one group or another is better or worse at a job.

. . .

I'm not arguing this on humans,
But in fantasy, science fiction, or animals such as dogs,
There 'are significant groups, differences, that requires a difference in what is expected of them, how one acts towards them.
Barney
Debates: 50
Barney
-->
@Lemming
Good luck with the writing.

In my experience racists tend to base a lot of in-group insults around not living up to the stereotypes of ones own group. Such as living like a ____. Skinhead gangs where I grew up mostly targeted white homeless people (I suspect mostly because they could get away with it).