Universal Background Checks

Author: Vader

Total: 97
oromagi
Debates: 117
oromagi
-->
@Dr.Franklin
by leftist standards of white nationalists, I guarantee the Ukrainian army has a fuck ton of white nationalists
White Nationalism is an American euphemism for White Supremacy that entered popular usage after the Dixiecrats separated from the Democrats over the issue of White Supremacy in the 1948 election and sought credibility within the ranks of the Republican Party.

According to Merriam-Webster, the first documented use of the term "white nationalist" was 1951, to refer to a member of a militant group which espouses white supremacy and racial segregation. Merriam-Webster also notes usage of the two-word phrase as early as 1925. According to Daryl Johnson, a former counterterrorism expert at the Department of Homeland Security, the term was used to appear more credible while also avoiding negative stereotypes about white supremacists. Modern members of racist organizations such as the Ku Klux Klan generally favor the term and avoid self-describing as white supremacist.

Depending on how you define WHITE, Ukraine is somewhere between 99.00% White and 99.9% White so, you know, White Nation achieved! bing bong!  Therefore, Whiteness in the American sense of the word doesn't really come into it.  Although many ultra-nationalists identified with a Russian identity before Putin's invasion, the face of ultra-nationalism today is almost entirely anti-Russian and those ultra-Rus factions are essentially no longer Ukrainians.
Athias
Debates: 20
Athias
-->
@oromagi
disagree.

CHATTEL SLAVERY is "A form of slavery where slaves are the legal property of an individual."

PRIVATE PROPERTY is "Property to which individuals or corporations have certain exclusive property rights, but do not necessarily possess.  Property to which the state or other public organizations do not have exclusive property rights."
It's not a subject of whether you "agree."

All private property rights are sanctioned by law by definition. 
I remember stating, "and subsidized."

Private property is often subsidized by the state. The USFG subsidizes trucks over 6,000lbs and many electric vehicles and the USFG will return your vehicle to you if it is reported stolen and is halted at the US border and confiscated but your vehicle is still your private property
Rendering it no longer "private."

If the government decided to end slavery on policy grounds—that is to take slaves ‘for public use’—then the masters would have to be justly compensated.
Lincoln paid them off anyway in 1862 before the issuance of the emancipation proclamation. Did he do that with "public" or "private" money?

From the perspective of 1789, the only plausible interpretation of the Fifth Amendment was to assume that slaves were property, not persons. It is simply impossible to imagine that most members of Congress thought otherwise, or that any of the slave state legislators who voted to ratify the amendments believed they were threatening slavery.
Of course the state legislators knew because they were directly regulating the Slave Trade--rendering the trade NOT private.

unregulated gun ownership undermines domestic tranquility and  public welfare
That's not an explanation.

unregulated gun ownership undermines domestic tranquility and  public welfare
Again, not an explanation.

So you've given up on the Constitution as a framework for democracy but still defend the least sustainable amendment.  Perverse.
I don't defend arbitrary rules, regulations, stipulations, or the like just because they were on a piece of paper. I don't even support "democracy." I support principle--moral principle. And proposing referendums on someone's rights because of baited emotions and the acts in which said someone was not involved will always evoke objection.

zedvictor4
Debates: 22
zedvictor4
-->
@Dr.Franklin
Fuck ton.
A touch of the blarney there Doc.
Dr.Franklin
Debates: 32
Dr.Franklin
-->
@oromagi
I'm quite certain there's more people in the Ukraine military who do not want islamic refugees than those in the US
oromagi
Debates: 117
oromagi
-->
@Dr.Franklin
-->@oromagi
I'm quite certain there's more people in the Ukraine military who do not want islamic refugees than those in the US
That's probably true since the US is one of the few countries that was not founded with some explicit principle religion.   Still, given that Ukrainians are now the largest refugee population since WW2 and substantial numbers of muslims are currently fighting for Ukraine's survival, It is reasonable to suppose those attitudes may be in flux.

Numbers are hard to come by but since there are two battalions of Chechen fighters under Muslim commanders as well as substantial Tartar, Kurd, Turk contributions and groups of foreign fighters coming from Senegal, Iraq, India, etc and  since the main neo-Nazi battalion was just wiped out in Mariupol, it is probably safe to say that there are more Muslims fighting under the Ukrainian flag at present than neo-Nazis.  I think it is probably reasonable to assume that there are more Muslims fighting for Russia than Ukraine but that's impossible to verify beyond knowing that the Russian have recently brought forward Chechen and Syrian fighters.  Certainly, there are more Muslims in Ukraine right now than ever before.

Dr.Franklin
Debates: 32
Dr.Franklin
-->
@oromagi

oh and Chechen battalions are foreign fighters, not settled citizens.

Double_R
Debates: 3
Double_R
-->
@coal
Suppose we implement background checks across the board, in response to the demands of democrats to "close" the so called "gun show loophole" --- which is in fact no such thing.  Then what?  The most recent school shooting involved a passed background check, before the transaction in which the shooter purchased the gun was complete.  

Assuming I'm still playing in your ballpark, you next should argue that clearly the current background checks are inadequate because they allowed this person to purchase one.  Ok, then what would adequate background checks look like?  We could have that debate, but you'd get lost in the weeds because we both know you don't understand the technology involved.  

So maybe you drop the background checks issue, and you concede you really just want to make it harder to buy guns.  Ok then, what about...
I'm very curious to know if there's a name for this fallacy.

It's a common tactic for 2A advocates to address each gun safety proposal one by one, and then because each individual proposal fails on it's own to completely solve the issue, argue no proposal is worth pursuing.

No one is claiming any individual fix will stop all mass shootings, we don't judge progress by perfection.

Outlawing guns or adding hoops to jump through makes them harder to get.

Making them harder to get decreases the odds that the next would-be crazed gunman gets his hands on them.

Decreased odds means there will be less crazed gunmen.

Less crazed gunmen means less mass shootings,  and therefore less mass shooting victims.

We can argue all day about good guys with guns or whatever talking point is next, but this point is quite simple and not refutable.
coal
Debates: 6
coal
-->
@Double_R
It's a common tactic for 2A advocates to address each gun safety proposal one by one, and then because each individual proposal fails on it's own to completely solve the issue, argue no proposal is worth pursuing.
That is such a nonsensical, incoherent interpretation of what I have said.  I question whether we are even speaking in a mutually intelligible language at times.  I have not argued that any policy that fails to "completely" solve a purported crisis must be rejected.  Rather, the examples I laid out above stand for the proposition that it is unequivocally wrong to simply assume that anything you come up with will actually achieve anything at all in the way of bringing about intended results.  

So, based on your discussion above, your understanding of what even is a "fallacy" is suspect, if not questionable.  There is, however, a name for precisely the species of fallacious reasoning you're engaging in here: the appeal to ignorance.  An appeal to ignorance (also known as an "argument from ignorance") argues that a proposition must be true because it has not been proven false or there appears to be no evidence against it.  It's the same nonsense every single time there's a high profile incident involving guns, and what the so called president is arguing right now. Let's put this in your ballpark, so we're both on the same page, though.  

The gun control argument from ignorance is this: "If by implementing [policy (x)], we intend to achieve [result (a)], then [policy (x)] must necessarily achieve [result (a)]."  

. . . even though there is no evidence whatsoever that [result (a)] actually will result from [policy (x)]. 

And that is why these discussions are so unsatisfying.  For the same reason, they will always be unsatisfying to you, because you either flat-out refuse, or are otherwise incapable, of distinguishing between the concept of an "intent" and a "result."  Thomas Sowell explained it in as simple a way as can be described, which I am pretty sure I've either linked here or in a related thread before. 

It is possible this concept is so abstract it can't be grasped by lay people.  I guess I have to make room for that possibility.   After all, for inexplicable reasons, lay people --- on the left at least --- always seem to think not only that the proper response to any purported crisis is to "solve" by passing legislation at the national level, but to assume that the purported crisis itself even can be solved at the national level, or by any level of government.  That is all such incalculably myopic stupidity.

Then, if anyone even tries to break down the problem into component parts that might possibly, to some very limited extent be solved at that or any other level of government, the left-wing response is always the same: "You don't want [result (a)], therefore you're a bad person!"  It's either "support my stupid, half-baked political idea" or "die in a fire."  

I assume I've already lost you by now.  Like, if you're even following along at this point . . . I'd be shocked. 

No one is claiming any individual fix will stop all mass shootings, we don't judge progress by perfection.
No, we judge progress by measurable change --- which remains unachieved, to the extent tried, anywhere under comparable conditions.  Your fallacy is also to assume that by doing the same failed thing over and over again, a different result might be achieved on one of those occasions.  

Outlawing guns or adding hoops to jump through makes them harder to get.
I legitimately do not care because your arguments are incoherent.  If you want to address gun violence, come up with a policy for which there is evidence to support the probability of its success.  Such evidence does not include innuendo, speculation or other partisan nonsense.  

Double_R
Double_R
-->
@coal
I assume I've already lost you by now.  Like, if you're even following along at this point . . . I'd be shocked. 
Being an arrogant prick does not help get your point across.

I have not argued that any policy that fails to "completely" solve a purported crisis must be rejected.
Yes, you actually did.

I quoted your argument, all you did was knock down each proposal on the basis that there was a hole in it, then moved on to the fix to point out there there was a hole in the fix. Then you cartoonishly leaped to the end where we just admit that we want to seize everyone's guns, which would never work.

In fairness you never did actually state a conclusion here, but there is only one rational way to interpret this; that these proposals should not be implemented because they could not ultimately solve the problem.

If that's not what you meant to argue that's fine, but read you're own words, that's the implicit take away.

the examples I laid out above stand for the proposition that it is unequivocally wrong to simply assume that anything you come up with will actually achieve anything at all in the way of bringing about intended results.  
Nothing about you're argument suggested that he was "simply assuming" anything. If that we're the case you would have challenged premises, instead you accepted them in a reductio ad absurdum.

Second, if your argument is that nothing "at all" will be accomplished by these proposals then it logically fails at the most basic level. Your counter point to the idea of background checks was to talk about how it wouldn't have stopped *this one* shooter, yet that's not the idea behind them. For background check to accomplish "anything at all" it would only need to stop one would-be shooter. You didn't even attempt to argue it wouldn't.

You did the same thing with your leap at the end that we stop all future gun sales, pointing out that there are millions of guns in circulation. Ok, but to accomplish "anything at all" the proposal would only need to stop one would-be shooter. You made no attempt to argue that every single wanna be shooter knows somewhere where they would be able to get a gun, which is what would have been needed to make that case.

So no, this was not your argument.

The gun control argument from ignorance is this: "If by implementing [policy (x)], we intend to achieve [result (a)], then [policy (x)] must necessarily achieve [result (a)]."  

. . . even though there is no evidence whatsoever that [result (a)] actually will result from [policy (x)]. 
That's not what an argument from ignorance is.

Argument from ignorance is "I don't understand X, therefore Y". What you're portraying is a conflation of intentions and necessary results, as if they are one in the same. That's an absurd characterization of gun control arguments.

Gun control arguments follow basic logic. Things like "less guns = less gun violence". Or "making guns harder to get = less wanna be shooters will be able to attain one". They could be ultimately wrong, which I would love for any 2A advocate to explain, but there's no fallacy there unless you are strawmanning it.

And as far as the no evidence claim, that's just bullshit. I could pull out a treasure trove of statistics showing how laxed gun laws results in increased crime and shootings. But this is such a complex and convoluted issue that you could do the same thing and we'd be here for months sorting through it with undoubtedly no progress at the end, because with so many statistics to choose from we're both just going to gravitate towards the ones that affirm or worldviews. This is why I prefer to address this issue logically. Things like; explain how more guns = less gun violence. Stuff like that.

but to assume that the purported crisis itself even can be solved at the national level, or by any level of government.  That is all such incalculably myopic stupidity.
Do you believe in laws?

coal
coal
-->
@Double_R
coal
coal
For you to act as if you have insight superior to mine into the meaning of the words I used to communicate is beneath idiocy. You are informed of what I said, because I said it.  And if you had any doubt as to what I said, I clarified despite the fact that there was no objective reason for me to do so. 
coal
coal
Once you have learned what an argument from ignorance is, we may proceed.  Perhaps. 
Ultramaga
Debates: 0
Ultramaga
-->
@coal
The left in America is populated with Dunning Kruger psuedo-intellectuals.
coal
coal
Greyparrot
Debates: 4
Greyparrot
-->
@coal
If an American shouldn’t be legally allowed to have an assault weapon just in case for the need to fight tyranny, why the hell were taxpayers forced to send 40 billion dollars worth of thousands of assault weapons to Ukraine in order to help them fight tyranny?
Stephen
Stephen
-->
@Greyparrot
Isn't Gerry Nadler that is advocating owning a gun to be raised to 21? And didn't he turn into a stammer wreck when someone asked, " does this mean we will be raising the age of conscription to the age of 21 too"?
coal
coal
-->
@Greyparrot
Double_R
Double_R
-->
@coal
For you to act as if you have insight superior to mine into the meaning of the words I used to communicate is beneath idiocy.
I'm not telling you I understand your thoughts better than you do, I'm just showing you what your words amounted to. Perhaps you'd be better off explaining where I went wrong rather than just calling it idiocy. Like I said, coming off as an arrogant prick does nothing to further your argument.

Once you have learned what an argument from ignorance is, we may proceed.  Perhaps.
I mixed up argument from ignorance with argument from incredulity. Wow bro, congratulations on the "gotcha".

Meanwhile, this was your example:

That's not even close. 'Intentions = Necessity' is no formal fallacy I have ever heard of, and it's certainly not "X is true because it has not been proven false". So perhaps you are the one who needs to read your own source.

Let me know if you have any intention in engaging in an actual, substantive dialog.
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@Stephen
" does this mean we will be raising the age of conscription to the age of 21 too"
great idea
FLRW
FLRW
-->
@Stephen
Originally, the age you could be drafted was 21. In September 1940, Congress, by wide margins in both houses, passed the Burke-Wadsworth Act, and the first peacetime draft was imposed in the history of the United States. The registration of men between the ages of 21 and 36 began exactly one month later. There were some 20 million eligible young men—50 percent were rejected the very first year, either for health reasons or because 20 percent of those who registered were illiterate.
FLRW
FLRW
But by November 1942, with the United States now a participant in the war, and not merely a neutral bystander, the draft ages had to be expanded; men 18 to 37 were now eligible. Black people were passed over for the draft because of racist assumptions about their abilities and the viability of a mixed-race military. But this changed in 1943, when a “quota” was imposed, meant to limit the numbers of Black men drafted to reflect their numbers in the overall population, roughly 10.6 percent of the whole. Initially, Black soldiers were restricted to “labor units,” but this too ended as the war progressed, when they were finally used in combat.
Stephen
Stephen
-->
@3RU7AL
@FLRW
I have just found the quote from Nadler;

Rep. Nadler says 18-year-olds can’t have guns because ‘brains undeveloped’ but are needed in military.

Kentucky Rep. Thomas Massie then asked Nadler if he would be willing to cosponsor a bill to raise the draft age to 21, to which Nadler replied, “No.”
“But the chairman feels that their brains aren’t fully formed at 18, 19, and 20?” Massie pressed.

What is the maximum age to be drafted into the US military?
All men who are permanent residents in the US or are US citizens are required to register with the selective service when they are18 to 26 years old.
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@Stephen
there is a reason automobile insurance companies lower fees for people when they turn 25

we do NOT need 18 year old soldiers
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@FLRW
Initially, Black soldiers were restricted to “labor units,” but this too ended as the war progressed, when they were finally used in combat.
phenomenal reporting
Stephen
Stephen
-->
@3RU7AL
there is a reason automobile insurance companies lower fees for people when they turn 25

we do NOT need 18 year old soldiers

The US government obviously disagrees with you,3RU7AL

Military service age and obligation.

• 18 years of age (17 years of age with parental consent) for male and female voluntary service; no conscription  (currently inactive, but males aged 18-25 must register with Selective Service in case conscription is reinstated in the future); maximum enlistment age 34 (Army), 39 (Air Force), 39 (Navy), 28 (Marines), 31 (Coast Guard); 8-year service obligation, including 2-5 years active duty (Army), 2 years active (Navy), 4 years active (Air Force, Marines, Coast Guard); all military occupations and positions open to women (2021)

note - in 2019, women comprised about 18% of the total US military

3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@Stephen
ntal consent) for male and female voluntary service; no conscription  (currently inactive, but males aged 18-25 must register with Selective Service in case conscription is re
you're conflating "IS" with "OUGHT"
Stephen
Stephen
-->
@3RU7AL
ntal consent) for male and female voluntary service; no conscription  (currently inactive, but males aged 18-25 must register with Selective Service in case conscription is re
you're conflating "IS" with "OUGHT"

I don't think so. I looked at the comment where it clearly states "must", among other things.

Still, my point was I quite liked the comeback from Kentucky Rep. Thomas Massie  when he asked Nadler if he would be willing to cosponsor a bill to raise the draft age to 21, to which Nadler replied, “No.”

3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@Stephen
if you have to coerce children to take up arms to defend the oligarchy, then you're already lost
coal
coal
-->
@Double_R
When you have evidence to support any probability of changing any outcome with respect to gun violence based on any policy you propose, you might be in a less worse position to at least say something passably coherent on the subject.  But at this time, I have seen nothing whatsoever to indicate as much. 

Now that we've established you have no idea what logical fallacies are, perhaps you'll want to focus on the prior issue, related to gun control.

Going down these idiotic tangents are unsatisfying.  Have you noticed how every time you go down that path, wherein you bitch and moan about how much of an asshole you think I am, I always respond by treating you with even less respect than I did before? 

There was a time I'd play those games.  Now, I'm disinclined.  

If you want me to respect your opinions/perspective, or at least treat you like something other than an ankle-biting pomeranian, make arguments based on facts and evidence.  Then, you will find that I respond with facts and evidence. 

But these idiotic little games?  Play them and you'll find nothing but derision from me. 
Double_R
Double_R
-->
@coal
Have you noticed how every time you go down that path, wherein you bitch and moan about how much of an asshole you think I am, I always respond by treating you with even less respect than I did before?
No because I couldn't care less. I have no interest in gaining your respect, I am here in search of rational arguments that go against my position. I think of my time here basically as the tail end of the scientific method - peer review. How do I know if I am valid in my position? Because I put it out there and no one can show it to be wrong. So every time I read a post like this one, it just validates my position further. If you had an actual point to make you would make it, or at least someone would.

When you have evidence to support any probability of changing any outcome with respect to gun violence based on any policy you propose, you might be in a less worse position to at least say something passably coherent on the subject.  But at this time, I have seen nothing whatsoever to indicate as much. 
Evidence is that which supports a proposition. Statistics or any other real world examples on guns are like that blue/brown dress from a few years ago - we all look at the same thing and see something totally different. This is why I find going back and forth about statistics on guns pointless, we're both going to accept the ones that support our position and explain away the ones that don't.

Let's take gun laws in Chicago for example. Gun advocates swear that the strict laws combined with high gun crimes prove gun control doesn't work. But it doesn't. Gun laws mostly target gun sellers, making it harder for "bad guys" to acquire guns. But Chicago is very close to Indiana, so it's laws are useless because they can just drive a few miles south and purchase whatever they want. If anything this proves my point; Why Chicago and not NY? Because NY does not have such easy access anywhere near it.

So we can play the statistics game all day long, that will accomplish nothing. This is why I prefer to address the core beliefs that dictate where we fall on the more complex issues. Things like 'less guns = less gun violence', or 'making guns harder to get means the next would-be mass shooter is *less* likely to get his hands on one'. Gun advocates tend to avoid talking about these basic points, I suspect because they know they cannot make sense out of their core positions.

Now that we've established you have no idea what logical fallacies are
No, we haven't. You're just making shit up. I quoted your argument and explained twice now why it is not what you are claiming it is. You have nothing to say, so stop pretending you established anything.

This is what I find so amusing, I hear things like this said to me a lot on this site by you and your little cohorts, yet none of them ever take a moment to explain why. It is clearly one of those jabs thrown as you're running out the door because you know you can't back it up. It's rather childish. If you aren't going to back it up you could just say nothing.

Let me know when you have something substantive to add to this discussion.