Vici
Debates: 11
Vici
Me - I beat orosadmi. 
Vici
Debates: 11
Vici

-
I think oromagi is a great debater, he's also just a farmer who debates nonsense for elo. He never actually pushes himself on topics that may not have a clear obvious victor. 
Destroyed him

I think Novice is a great debater, i think he just needs more time to climb the leaderboard and have more debates. Although he appears to be taking a somewhat oromagi root and is simply farming (at least currently).
quite smart

I haven't read enough of barneys debates to have an opinion on him yet. Ramshutu pops off in the forums but doesn't debate anymore, so i have no view on him. Although id rate him highly.
both aren't good - both are noob snipers. name me someone good who barney and ramshuto has won 

I think Bones has potential to be the best on the site, he just 1. doesn't debate enough and 2. seems to have very specific things which he wants to debate. He lacks in versatility, Although i think he's smart enough to overcome this. I also think his friend ossa has the same potential as bones (from what I've read of him).
views are good but his full potential is hidden because he isn't a believer in God - he's going to hell as well because he is trying to convince others to be atheist. 

Although, currently i think whiteflame is the best debater on the site.
I guess he's alright

Rationalmadmans quality just drops too much in some of his debates for my liking. Quality over quantity.
he just debates a bunch and hits some and misses some (pure volume). Also, I destroyed him in a rap battle so like pft obviously I am better than him. 

PREZ-HILTON
Debates: 18
PREZ-HILTON
-->
@RationalMadman
Bluesteel abused the same voting base that mikal did, both are mediocre
I mean, yeah but that doesn't make him a weak debater. Mikal would actually pm people and say "I think I won because of .........." Then basically give a fully written RFD. Blue steel to my knowledge never did that. He just had a group of people who enjoyed reading his debates and may have been biased towards him a bit. 

PREZ-HILTON
Debates: 18
PREZ-HILTON
-->
@RationalMadman
Also, at the moment the voter environment is severely volatile and not in a good way. You do not know if your debate will get highly skilled votes or trash ones,
That's part of the reason I have a hard time trying. I could argue mermaids are real and get fair votes on DDO. In fact I did and I won that debate. 

It's not something I could win here as long as an opponent showed up every round. It's because the average voter here is a mouth breather. 
Ehyeh
Debates: 31
Ehyeh
Theunexaminedlife rawdogs anyone on DDO (my philosophy teacher).
Avery
Debates: 0
Avery
-->
@thett3
The best debaters on DDO in the last few years were easily: 

1) bluesteel 

*sizable gap*

2) Raisor 
3) whiteflame 

Whiteflame is the only one on DART and I haven’t seen anyone else here that would be comparable to him so I would say whiteflame is the best 
I second the bluesteel nomination. His word economy and argument strength made any debate a real struggle. He was also super speedy with researching and constructing his arguments. He'd turn around arguments that were meant to take days (10k characters) in hours. And the arguments would all be clean bodyshots -- literally all of them. He wouldn't wiff or fudge an argument. I never saw all of that in anyone else.

I never had a good look at anything Raisor debated. Dude had a solid record against serious opponents, though.

I think Whiteflame is comparable with Danielle. Back in the day, she'd debate at a drop of a hat with anyone who'd disagree with her (no noobsniping). Her HoF (on DDO) debate with J.Kenyon was seriously impressive and I think a top 5 debate on the entire website.

Others worth considering are: RoyLatham seemed pretty strong back in the day, but was probably too old and slow by the time Mikal rolled around to challenge him. Kleptin pushed the boundaries of what resolutions could be defended. I remember him trying to defend Christianity despite being irreligious himself, just to see if he could do it.
cristo71
Debates: 1
cristo71
Does anyone know of a debate where one or more of the judges actually changed their mind on a subject because of the debate? That would be remarkable, particularly if it were a “hot button” topic…

oromagi
Debates: 117
oromagi
-->
@cristo71
On DDO, one voter said I changed his mind regarding the justness of the Treaty of Versailles.

On this site,  I changed my opponent's mind.  Trent0405 instigated a micro debate claiming Germany was more powerful than France and he says I changed his mind completely.
cristo71
Debates: 1
cristo71
-->
@oromagi
Well done!

Novice_II
Debates: 98
Novice_II
I forgot about this thread, but since it was updated today, can someone please explain to me how RationalMadman is a good debater, talk less of the best one? 
Avery
Avery
-->
@Novice_II
I forgot about this thread, but since it was updated today, can someone please explain to me how RationalMadman is a good debater, talk less of the best one? 
"Good" to people probably means above average. The average person on a debate website doesn't form proper arguments, and he's better than that. Still, he's still only got a high 60% win ratio, despite all the free wins you get from full-forfeits. If his debates only consisted of battles against the top 10% of this website, I doubt he'd win much more than 25% of his debates.

But yeah, people including him as being one of the best is woefully inaccurate. 
RationalMadman
Debates: 566
RationalMadman
-->
@Avery
Cute. Do you know my winrate against Novice? :)

Check their old account to find out.
Avery
Avery
-->
@RationalMadman
Cute. Do you know my winrate against Novice? :)

Check their old account to find out.
No, and I don't really care.

Unless Novice is an ex-DDO bigname, he/she isn't in contention for the best debater, and nor should you be.
RationalMadman
RationalMadman
-->
@Avery
oh dear, you acknowledging my ability is how I define my self worth. :(
Novice_II
Novice_II
-->
@Avery
I don't know much about DDO, so I can't weigh in much on this, but the way I see it, this thread evaluates the best debaters "on this site," not a different one. 
Avery
Avery
-->
@RationalMadman
Don't worry, you're still above average <3
Avery
Avery
-->
@Novice_II
I don't know much about DDO, so I can't weigh in much on this, but the way I see it, this thread evaluates the best debaters "on this site," not a different one. 
A big issue is that some of the members here haven't expressed how good they are at debating outside of DDO. Whiteflame is a big name here but probably bigger on DDO. Danielle was monstrous on DDO. Thett had a super strong record, too. Same with Tejretics.

It's really only Whiteflame who has carried any sort of their record from DDO onto here.
Novice_II
Novice_II
I used to think RationalMadman was a good debater a long time ago. After the most recent debate I had with him, I realized he was not as good as I thought, after  reading several subsequent debates I realized that he isn't even a good debater. This is of course my opinion and anyone is welcome to disagree. However, I believe he would loose to anyone in the top 10 currently. 
RationalMadman
RationalMadman
-->
@Novice_II
Having lost to me as much as you have on your old account, I guess that makes you a trash debater consequently.

I am glad that you upgraded.
Avery
Avery
-->
@RationalMadman
@Novice_II
Which of you male egos can thump your chest harder?
Novice_II
Novice_II
-->
@Avery
Well, as I stated "this is of course my opinion and anyone is welcome to disagree." Now, if the sole utility I derive from expressing my opinion on a public platform derives the interpretation of a "male ego," I don't know if I can adequately contend with such impressive logic. Do you have a particular reasoning as to how you formulated this inquiry? 
Tejretics
Debates: 7
Tejretics
-->
@Username1
On balance, I expect that debaters who’ve got experience doing formal debate IRL are also better at online debate -- though, of course, there are exceptions to this general principle.

That said, I’m guessing Whiteflame and Thett are the strongest debaters here. 
RationalMadman
RationalMadman
-->
@Avery
And what kind of ego do you have?
RationalMadman
RationalMadman
-->
@PREZ-HILTON
Mikal would actually pm people and say "I think I won because of .........." 
That blatantly violates rules btw, both DDO and DART rules of conduct post-debate while it's still live voting.
RationalMadman
RationalMadman
-->
@Tejretics
@Novice_II
@PREZ-HILTON
@Avery
However, I believe he would loose to anyone in the top 10 currently. 
Vote on this btw: 

ty :)

(not yet finished, I'll post it in the next day)
RationalMadman
RationalMadman
-->
@Novice_II
@Avery
Let's get to the chest beating. I don't really care what anyone thinks about me, I'm here to have fun primarily, the rising of rating is a joke to me. Look at how paralysed in fear most of the top dogs are. Shaking cowards, afraid to step wrong, terrified, permanent thin ice vibes.

Hahaha.

^ This is my vibe

^ This is yours, Novice, it is funny because I could spit it too when I'm sadder around here. You're just bitter.
Avery
Avery
-->
@RationalMadman
And what kind of ego do you have?
A normal one :)

Shaking cowards, afraid to step wrong, terrified, permanent thin ice vibes.
There is something to be said about ratings paralyzing people. At some stage, people seem to retire into not debating or noobsniping. Have to remember that taking risks and daunting challenges is what allows people to grow.

Although, if you think you got your rating by luck, it's probably best to retire early.
Ehyeh
Debates: 31
Ehyeh
-->
@RationalMadman
Let's get to the chest beating. I don't really care what anyone thinks about me, I'm here to have fun primarily, the rising of rating is a joke to me. Look at how paralysed in fear most of the top dogs are. Shaking cowards, afraid to step wrong, terrified, permanent thin ice vibes.

Facts. Most of the highest Elo debaters have about 1 challenging debate a year.
RationalMadman
RationalMadman
-->
@Ehyeh
Someone upvoted your reply and not what you quoted from me and agreed to. xD
Shila
Shila
-->
@Username1
Who is the best debater?