Abortion Double Standard

Author: Bones

Total: 206
Ramshutu
Debates: 43
Ramshutu
-->
@3RU7AL
ok, so your entire contention is with the word "decide" ?
My contention is described and explained in detail in the posts you keep ignoring. I’m pretty explicit.

3RU7AL
Debates: 3
3RU7AL
-->
@Ramshutu
Your argument, is that because women who commit Crime A, and are prosecuted under law A are typically given Punishment A - that a women can decide to commit crime B, and largely expect to be prosecuted under law A, and receive punishment A, rather than be prosecuted and punished for Crime B under per Law B. 
this appears to be the core contention
Ramshutu
Ramshutu
-->
@3RU7AL
this appears to be the core contention
I’ve made multiple posts now; where I have specifically summarized my point, my contention, explained how it applies to what you said, and why it undermines the nature of what you were implying.

Each time - you have completely ignored that argument.

You’ve ignored broad swathes of my posts, childishly parroted paragraphs back at me; made multiple claims I’ve asked you to justify (I am still waiting on all of them) 

I’ve provided a comprehensive outline of my argument. You can either argue against it - or not. 

I’m not going to spend any more time reiterating my point, when you seem bent on being as intellectually lazy as you can possibly be by boiling down a complex argument to a thin summary; especially when you are  likely to completely ignore whatever I provide anyway. 

Please refer back to my previous post - my entire argument is very well documented and clearly spelled out there - you may argue against it if you wish.
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@Ramshutu
this is a purely voluntary interaction

clearly we disagree about the key points of this conversation

part of the function of a conversation

is to negotiate (instead of simply declaring) the key points
Ramshutu
Ramshutu
-->
@3RU7AL
this is a purely voluntary interaction

clearly we disagree about the key points of this conversation

part of the function of a conversation

is to negotiate (instead of simply declaring) the key points
Part of the function of a conversation, is not to ignore the entirety of another persons conversation multiple times.

By all means, in my previous long post - I have explained my primary argument - by all means - argue with it.
whiteflame
Debates: 27
whiteflame
-->
@3RU7AL
I’ll admit to being somewhat drained on debating abortion in the broader sense, so suffice it to say that I’ll just let this drop at this point. I understand if that’s frustrating, but I’m not really willing to get into moral frameworks and discuss this more holistically at the moment, especially as I may be doing another debate on the subject in short order.
Athias
Debates: 20
Athias
-->
@Ehyeh
If one has a social contract with the state
The consent of a newborn babe in entering a contract willfully cannot be ascertained.

then why does someone have a financial obligation to other people's kids, aiding them in getting a free school meal, for someone else's kids to be able to go to the dentist, hospital, and to have nice schools, but he doesn't have a moral obligation to his own son financially?
Are you under the impression that I believe a person has a obligation in financing the welfare of other people's kids?

Considering the fact bodily autonomy is to do with your body what you wish. If you're not independently viable you physically cant do with your body what you wish (from another's own bodily autonomy). Your body cannot be said to be yours alone if it is not self sustaining without the leverage/aid of another's bodily autonomy. Your bodily autonomy becomes theirs if you don't have independent viability. This then means (most) foetus's don't have a right to bodily autonomy, therefore they don't necessarily have a human right to life either. What do you think of that, Mr bone
Rights are conceived, acknowledged, and maintained by moral agents. Any right you claim that the zygote/embryo/fetus, or even infant, has would be an extension of someone else's prerogative. Even if we were to indulge that they have rights, then we must first discover the infraction to zygote/embryo/fetus's rights. Is the the mother denying her womb tantamount to an infraction of the zygote/embryo's/fetus's bodily autonomy, or is it the inviability (due to physiological underdevelopment) of the aforementioned that render it incapable of surviving outside its womb?

And once more, there's other facts of the matter which make them unsymmetrical unless we simply reduce it down to ownership of a "resource".
Yes, that's exactly what I'm doing: reducing it to a matter of proprietary principle.

How would you argue against this?
See above.

Ehyeh
Debates: 31
Ehyeh
-->
@Athias
That was a non argument. Nothing you said actually debunked anything i said. 
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@Athias
Rights are conceived, acknowledged, and maintained by moral agents. Any right you claim that the zygote/embryo/fetus, or even infant, has would be an extension of someone else's prerogative.
well stated
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@Ramshutu
By all means, in my previous long post - I have explained my primary argument - by all means - argue with it.
oh, great, let's give that a shot
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@Ramshutu
as per your specific request,

apparently, at least in canada, she has about 12 months to decide if she wants to kill it

which i'm going to compare to the following,

apparently, at least in america, a person can purchase a weapon any time they wish
This is a terrible analogy;
ok,

it omits anthe key error in your argument. The two key errors as I keep pointing out, is one of classification: that all purchases are A,
nope, not ALL

whereas some are actually B;
ok, sure, i think we've already agreed on this, quite some time ago

and that you are using the results of one category of crime as a basis to assume that another category of crime would be treated similarly.
have you even bothered to look at the legal distinction between the two ?

Fixing your analogy:
fantastic

“Anyone can decide to buy a nuclear weapon  - because the punishment for illegally purchasing a fire arm is normally less than a year.”
purchasing a nuclear weapon is nearly impossible

are you suggesting that infanticide is nearly impossible ?

or are you suggesting that the difference between infanticide and infant murder or manslaughter is equivalent to the difference between a nuclear weapon and a common pistol ?

and in this comparison, is infanticide the nuclear weapon ?

Or let’s try another:
i can't wait

“Any wife can decide to murder their husband - because the punishment for battered wive defences is normally less than a year in prison.”
this one make slightly more sense

That’s the issue with your argument:
what are you talking about ?

are you suggesting that the battered woman example is somehow an atrociously and utterly false statement ?

it seems pretty fair to me

perhaps somewhat unnuanced, but not exactly atrocious

The issue I keep pointing out, and you keep purposefully stripping out of your responses and ignoring is:
i find it helps focus the conversation if i respond exclusively to the points i am personally interested in

you have done exactly the same thing, neglecting to even acknowledge the legal definitions, which, you know, seem obviously relevant

• Buying a nuclear weapon would not be categorized as illegally purchasing a firearm.
not really, the difference here is QUANTIFIABLE and you're making the leap comparing it to "the state of mind of the mother" which is QUALITATIVE

• Murdering your husband for arbitrary reasons would not be categorized as a battered wife  defences.
i'm sure in many cases it could be, however, historically, juries have been much less sympathetic to women killing their husbands than to women who kill their own children before they are 12 months old

• Deciding to kill your baby - would not be categorized as infanticide.
that's actually the very definition of infanticide

And:
oh, boy

• The penalty for illegally purchasing a weapon being is less than a year - doesn’t mean atypical or different offences are also treated leniently
ok

• The penalty for a battered wife being less than a year - doesn’t mean atypical murders or different offences are treated leniently
we agree, i never said "ALL"

• The penalty for infanticide being less than a year doesn’t mean atypical murders or different offences are treated leniently.
sure, and, i've already stated this clearly, i never said "ALL"

Your responses are akin to:
to be clear, these are YOUR projections (strawmen) of what you THINK "my argument" is

• But nuclear weapons are technically fire arms, as they are weapons, that law would apply. 
nope, the definition of "fire arm" does NOT include "nuclear weapons"

• A wife would never kill their husband unless she could argue he was harmful to her in some way.
obviously there might be some financial incentive, but really, it is rather difficult for me to imagine any murderer is "of sound mind"

• But I didn’t say it was ALWAYS less than a year! You’re making stuff up, I never said that!!!
this one is true and yet, even though you've paraphrased it here, you fail to acknowledge our apparent agreement

You completely ignore the critical issue in your post - to fixate on some random minutae that has no bearing and continually and repeatedly ignore the arguments in the post when they’re made.
You ALSO completely ignore the critical issue in your post - to fixate on some random minutae that has no bearing and continually and repeatedly ignore the arguments in the post when they’re made.

YOU CLARIFIED YOUR STATEMENT BASED ON MY OBJECTIONS THEREFORE YOU ARE A LIAR
By all means cite the post where I called you a liar. You can add it to the citation of where you feel I am selectively quoting you, or where I have failed to respond to one of your key arguments… I’m still waiting on those:
i prefer to ignore your ad hominem attacks and instead seek common ground

and sure, SOME women may be convicted of murder instead of infanticide for killing their own children within the first 12 months
Bingo. Nailed it. Let’s try and get you over the edge. Pay attention. Let me walk you through the issue and problem in your argument, yet again. Hopefully, you will not strip out and ignore this critical point this time - as you have continued to do throughout. Here we go:
you could have simply replied with this point of agreement

instead of the rest of this muddled mess

There are very rare, heartbreaking instances of women after childbirth, not thinking straight for a variety of reasons - through forms of inaction or momentary breaks - kill their children (Crime A).
please provide some EVIDENCE that mothers who kill their own children within the first 12 months are TYPICALLY convicted of MURDER

The law recognizes that this type of scenario is not the same as cold blooded killing of a stranger,
yup

so has a special law to cover it (Law A) - when Law A is applied to crime A, typically the courts are lenient and aware limited jail time (Punishment A)- if any; and that’s not unreasonable. A day old baby screaming for a entire days on end, a mother in pain at her wits end, snaps for just a split second and shakes her baby - that’s not cold blooded murder and shouldn’t be treated that way.
oh, wow

i was starting to think you didn't know what infanticide was

There are also - even rarer - pretty horrifying murders of children, callous abuse, or bordering on psychopathic decisions where a mother kills a child.
hold on,

EVEN RARER ?

YOU ARE AGREEING WITH ME THAT TYPICALLY WHEN A MOTHER KILLS THEIR OWN CHILD WITHIN THE FIRST 12 MONTHS, THEY ARE NOT CONVICTED OF MURDER

(Crime B). The law recognizes this scenario is as murder, and typically ends up with the mother charged for Murder (Law B); being convicted and going to prison for multiple years (punishment B). There is perhaps one or or two case where the woman commits such a murder and is charged with infanticide, and faces larger jail time than in Punishment A (Punishment B) - perhaps there is some mitigation, but is generally punished by Murder with lots of jail time. Perhaps not all, not all cold blooded murders yield the same result after all  - but generally so.
shockingly cogent

Deciding to murder a child, is not (A) - it’s (B)
this statement is demonstrably false, based specifically on the legal definition of infanticide which includes "intentional killing"

Your argument, is that because women who commit Crime A, and are prosecuted under law A are typically given Punishment A - that a women can decide to commit crime B, and largely expect to be prosecuted under law A, and receive punishment A, rather than be prosecuted and punished for Crime B under per Law B. 
you also agree with this statement

in this same reply you yourself stated that a mother who kills her own child less than 12 months old is MORE likely to be convicted of infanticide than convicted of murder

No. That’s stupid. As I have been saying throughout.
ok, sure

What you’re doing here - is really just a semantic objection to something I said.
How? Why? Because you say so?

I explained why this argument was semantic - in the part of my post you stripped out and ignored
because your entire objection to my original statement hinges on the word "decide"

and instead of you simply pointing this out, you filled the page with peripherally and tangentially related strawmen and ad hominem attacks

in most cases it's actually true.
Not at all; and I described exactly why in the part of my post you stripped out and ignored

Punishment for Crime A is meaningless as an indicator of the punishment for Crime B
not this again

if you bother to examine the legal definition of infanticide you will see that it includes "intentional killing"

contradicting is not the same as "refuting"
But in your case - you explicitly state that killing your child is not murder - that Crime B is treated as Crime A. Showing that people committing Crime B are charged with Crime B, not Crime A both contradicts- and refutes the claim. This was covered in the part of my post you stripped out and ignored.
not exactly those words

more like, (at least in canada) a mother can decide to kill her own child within the first 12 months and typically serve less than one year in jail

And this is really your issue: rather than explain why what I said didn’t refute your claim; you’re just objecting to my characterization of what some data does, on a technicality.
it's kinda weird how you try to place the burden of proof on me to refute your "refutation" when your "refutation" itself is obviously inapplicable

to be perfectly clear, there is an extremely significant difference between ALWAYS and MOSTLY
And if I was basing any of my argument on this difference, your complaint would be relevant - but it’s not.
well, it certainly seems like you are basing your argument on the difference between ALWAYS and MOSTLY

and yet, you (apparently) AGREE that a woman who kills their own child less than 12 months old AND CONVICTED OF MURDER FOR IT is, in your own words, "EVEN MORE RARE" than infanticide

but seriously, just make "your point" clearly … what the hell is your "central point" anyway ?
This is getting to the point you’re being purposefully dishonest.
calling me "purposefully dishonest" is the same as calling me a liar (which speaks to motive) and technically an ad hominem attack

Literally the 5 paragraphs above the portion you quoted spell out the details of what my objection is. Why are you chopping out all the paragraphs where I clearly spell out my point - and then demand I clearly spell out my point. 

This is ridiculous.
what is ridiculous is your failure to acknowledge your entire objection hinges on the word "decide"

This post was a reiteration of post 131: where I detail what you’ve said, what my objection to it is, and why: you completely ignored the detail of that entire post too - fixating on a minor semantic issue - childish parroting, and assertion:
wow

This post was a summary of post 81 - which you almost entirely ignored, and also post 90 - when I specifically repeated this same argument - and upon which you largely ignored in order to focus on simply reiterating the claims being contested that a.) “But a nuclear weapon is a type of firearm”, b.) “Firearms offences normally carry a lower sentence”, and c.) nuh-uh.
clearly you can reasonably object to my choice of metaphors, but you don't believe i can reasonably object to your choice of metaphors

At this stage you seen comprehensively unwilling to even acknowledge - leave alone respond to what I’m actually saying.
if you feel like you have failed to communicate your point of view, it's always a good idea to demonize your audience
Athias
Athias
-->
@Ehyeh
That was a non argument. Nothing you said actually debunked anything i said. 
Your argument is premised on the assumption that one has a "social contract" with the State, which at best is a nebulous concept, and accepts the responsibilities with which it comes. I questioned this assumption, here:

Are you under the impression that I believe a person has a obligation in financing the welfare of other people's kids?
Your argument is easily, for lack of a better term, "debunked," when one considers that this "social contract" begins upon one's citizenship and receiving a social security number. This typically occurs at infancy, the consent for which cannot be ascertained. That of which you speak is not "social contract" but "State coercion." The financial obligation to finance social welfare programs and public goods is created through the threat of penalty by the State--which does not exclude the application of deadly force.

If you're assuming that one accepts this "social contract" and therefore by extension accepts the State's prerogative to coerce financial responsibilities from a child's father, then start at square one. Don't assume the position of one with whom you engage discussion--especially in the absence of interrogative rigor--less you risk imputing strawmen arguments.
Ehyeh
Ehyeh
-->
@Athias
ok, well within the current framework of how modern western society works. My position wins, unless you argue to completely roll back of human rights, my position will remain more consistent as long as property laws exist. You have to go ultimate skeptic (destroying all presumed axioms) to have a "critique" against me. I could say the exact same thing about anything, from rape to murder. Its a none argument.
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@Ehyeh
ok, well within the current framework of how modern western society works. My position wins, unless you argue to completely roll back of human rights, my position will remain more consistent as long as property laws exist. You have to go ultimate skeptic (destroying all presumed axioms) to have a "critique" against me. I could say the exact same thing about anything, from rape to murder. Its a none argument.
ok, ok,

what does the "social contract" have to do with "property laws" ?
Ehyeh
Ehyeh
-->
@3RU7AL
You seem to want to break down every axiom, asking questions when grounds get pushed on something you're defending like "what is science anyways" or "what is is". It strikes me as very ridiculous.
-
Our social contract with society and the state and other peoples in our society says (dictated through democracy) that we ought to have rights to privacy and property. If someone doesn't  like that, they should either move to a country without human rights or advocate for the abolishment of them.
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@Ehyeh
Our social contract with society and the state and other peoples in our society says (dictated through democracy) that we ought to have rights to privacy and property. If someone doesn't  like that, they should either move to a country without human rights or advocate for the abolishment of them.
i am 100% in favor of "human rights"

but i've never seen this "social contract" you seem to be talking about

and at least in the united states, there is no apparent legal "right to privacy" since their supreme court recently gutted griswold v. connecticut

and even "property rights" are quite tenuous with all this civil asset forfeiture and eminent domain now considered routine procedure
Athias
Athias
-->
@Ehyeh
ok, well within the current framework of how modern western society works.
If we're discussing "how modern society works" as opposed to what it can and/or should be, then our discussions are pointless.

My position wins, unless you argue to completely roll back of human rights,
You would first have to establish how a zygote/embryo/fetus, even an infant baby bears "human rights." Rights are moral concepts; moral concepts are conceived, acknowledged, and maintained by moral agents. You would have to establish the reasons any father would OWE their children financial sustenance.
If one argues that a father bears a responsibility because he's a progenitor, then there's no consistent reasoning that excludes a mother from this obligation. Yet, she can abort and/or abandon her infant with impunity (As is her right.)

my position will remain more consistent as long as property laws exist.
Your position is either consistent or it's not. And that has yet to be determined especially since you have yet delineate the relevance of "property laws" in your proposition of "social contract."

You have to go ultimate skeptic (destroying all presumed axioms) to have a "critique" against me.
What presumed axioms? There are no shortcuts here.

I could say the exact same thing about anything, from rape to murder.
You are more than welcome to try.

Athias
Athias
-->
@3RU7AL
but i've never seen this "social contract" you seem to be talking about
It's a pretext used to justify coercing dissenters into providing resources which service the agendas of those who propose "social contract."

Ramshutu
Ramshutu
-->
@3RU7AL
Me:it omits the key error in your argument. The two key errors as I keep pointing out, is one of classification: that all purchases are A whereas some are actually B; 

You: nope, not ALL
Not all!

if you bother to examine the legal definition of infanticide you will see that it includes "intentional killing"
Yes all!

me: Deciding to murder a child, is not (A) - it’s (B)

You: this statement is demonstrably false, based specifically on the legal definition of infanticide which includes "intentional killing"
Yes all!

that's actually the very definition of infanticide
Yes all!

Your argument is schizophrenic

Recall: you said a woman can decide to kill a child within the first twelve months; That killing a child within the first twelve months isn’t murder and that infanticide typically has a low penalty.

We have two types of killings - various transient acts of mentally unstable mothers that should be treated more leniently (Crime A) - and deliberately callous murders that should be punished harshly (Crime B)

(i) If by “a mother can decide to kill her child” you really meant “if a mother under major mental stress or instability from child birth snaps, and kills her child” IE: there is some impunity for Crime A, but not necessarily for Crime B - then I am happy to accept your concession - as the original statement implies Crime B - not Crime A; as in no way shape or form can Crime A be described as “deciding to kill your child”.

(ii) If on the other hand - you meant “a mother can decide to kill her child”  without qualification and are implying impunity for Crime B - then I am happy to accept your concession - as there are many examples of murder charges and harsh punishments; contradicting this statement.

(iii) If by “a mother can decide to kill her child” you mean without qualification and without any implied impunity - “I can decide to kill a stranger (though I will be charged and prosecuted for it)” -- then I am happy to accept your concession - as this statement makes utterly no sense in terms of anything you said before and since,l. 

(iv) If by “killing a child is not murder” you meant “killing a child can sometimes be murder” - then I am happy to accept your concession - as the original statement is absurd.

(v) If you actually meant “killing a child is not murder”, and that “all child murders are infanticide” - then I am happy to accept your concession - as there are clear examples of that not being true - thus the statement is false. 

Which one of (i - v) you seem to argue at any given time appears to depend on what argument you are replying to.

Your only counter arguments seem to be variations of:

“it is rather difficult for me to imagine any murderer is "of sound mind”

IE:  Infanticide requires mental instability. Killing your child is evidence of such instability. Therefore crime B is crime A.
If this is the case - I am happy to accept your concession - as examples demonstrate cases where Crime B is not treated as Crime A - demonstrating the your standard isn’t being applied.

You also use variants along the lines of:

YOU ARE AGREEING WITH ME THAT TYPICALLY WHEN A MOTHER KILLS THEIR OWN CHILD WITHIN THE FIRST 12 MONTHS, THEY ARE NOT CONVICTED OF MURDER
Again - you’re using this to imply impunity.

(vi) If you mean this impunity for Crime A, but not really for Crime B - then I am happy accept your concession (see i above)

(vii) If you are suggesting impunity for Crime
B - then I am happy to accept your concession (see ii above). You argument is citing the combined outcomes for all of Crime A, and some of Crime B; and using this to imply outcomes for crime B - which is a text-book fallacy of composition.

And this is exactly how my analogies are set up:

You have a crime superset (buying weapons, killing husband) that comprises two individual sub types Crime A and a much worse Crime B (nuclear weapons,firearms; murder, battered wife). It illustrates why attempting to show some form of impunity for Crime B, based on the treatment of Crime A is fallacious.

Now: your objections to the analogy, are equally ridiculous:

purchasing a nuclear weapon is nearly impossible are you suggesting that infanticide is nearly impossible ? or are you suggesting that the difference between infanticide and infant murder or manslaughter is equivalent to the difference between a nuclear weapon and a common pistol
Crime B is different and worse to Crime A - but part of a superset of crime. Difficulty, or magnitude of the difference isn’t being compared anywhere, nor used to draw any conclusions - so are irrelevant.

are you suggesting that the battered woman example is somehow an atrociously and utterly false statement ? it seems pretty fair to me perhaps somewhat unnuanced, but not exactly atrocious
Yes - the suggestion of impunity in the analogy requires the Fallacy of composition (see ii and vii above). And suggesting there is some broad impunity when no real impunity exists or should exist - makes it atrocious. 

the difference here is QUANTIFIABLE and ….  "the state of mind of the mother" … is QUALITATIVE
That is certainly a difference, but one that is irrelevant: the important aspect in both instances is that you are arguing that Crime A is the same as Crime B based on your personal interpretation - not how the law is specifically worded or applied. 

i'm sure in many cases it could be, however, historically, juries have been much less sympathetic to women killing their husbands than to women who kill their own children before they are 12 months old
And? That battered wives were historically treated more harshly than mothers is irrelevant to the analogy as I’m not equating the punishment.

to be clear, these are YOUR projections (strawmen) of what you THINK "my argument" is
He asserts without explanation.

nope, the definition of "fire arm" does NOT include "nuclear weapons"
Likewise - the definition of infanticide does not in itself include simply deciding to murder your children; nor is the law applied that way. 

You ALSO completely ignore ….
He childishly parrots without example

i prefer to ignore your ad hominem attacks
Pointing out that you keep claiming I did things but you refuse to say where - is challenging your claims - not an ad hominem.

it's kinda weird how you try to place the burden of proof on me to refute your "refutation" when your "refutation" itself is obviously inapplicable
He asserts without argument 
You spend two posts haggling over whether my point contradicted you, or refuted you - and 0 posts dealing with the point I made.

well, it certainly seems like you are basing your argument on the difference between ALWAYS and MOSTLY
He asserts without argument. None of my argument depends on punishment being mostly vs always less than a year.

calling me "purposefully dishonest" is the same as calling me a liar (which speaks to motive) and technically an ad hominem attack
Lying is dishonesty - but dishonesty is not always lying. Also: It would be an ad hominem if I was calling you dishonest in place of attacking your point - I am not.

what is ridiculous is your failure to acknowledge your entire objection hinges on the word "decide"
He asserts without argument

if you feel like you have failed to communicate your point of view, it's always a good idea to demonize your audience
I am not attacking you for not understanding - I’m attacking you for repeatedly skipping over my arguments, pretending they didn’t exist - and then repeating points they addressed. Something you don’t appear to contest.

Ehyeh
Ehyeh
-->
@3RU7AL
@Athias
"instead of what it should look like"

You will always end up being a hypocrite in some form, if you don't agree with my abortion position. Unless you literally don't believe in ANY human rights. I've said it before and ill say it again, is it intersubjective? sure, does that mean anyone will reasonably disagree with my position once it been outlined without them being a hypocrite? i definitely don't think so. You cannot have bodily autonomy rights without having a right to life and vice versa. To argue they can exist separately necessitates you into a contradictory position.
-
Have you even read the Griswold case, 3RU7AL? it literally agrees with me and says married couples has a right to use contraceptives in a married relationship....and as I've previously said, constitutional rights are always accidently not followed (these end up getting solved in the future) as is the case with contraceptives (as they were new at the time).

"UUUGH, ACTUALLLLY, HUMAN RIGHTS ARE A SOCIAL CONSTRUCT!" yeah, we all know that. That still doesn't mean you wont be a hypocrite, as we all subjectively have expectations in how we ought to be treated.
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@Ramshutu
i just completed a search of this entire thread, starting on page one and ending on page seven

specifically for the quote "killing a child is not murder"

this specific quote can be found three times

once in the first link

and twice in the second link

have fun burning down your own strawman
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@Ehyeh
Have you even read the Griswold case, 3RU7AL? it literally agrees with me and says married couples has a right to use contraceptives in a married relationship....and as I've previously said, constitutional rights are always accidently not followed (these end up getting solved in the future) as is the case with contraceptives (as they were new at the time).
you seem to have missed the part where i point out that the united states supreme court recently GUTTED griswold v. connecticut

Ramshutu
Ramshutu
-->
@3RU7AL
I just completed a search of this entire thread, starting on page one and ending on page seven

specifically for the quote "killing a child is not murder"
perhaps look harder:

i said that if the mother of a child kills her own child

within the first 12 month of it being born

is NOT murder

and furthermore, they rarely get any serious jail time (at least in canada)

You also suggest it here

Me: Deciding to murder a child, is not (A) - it’s (B)

You: this statement is demonstrably false, based specifically on the legal definition of infanticide which includes "intentional killing"
And here:

Me: Sometimes it’s murder - sometimes it’s infanticide.

You: “In Canada, a mother can kill her baby with the mens rea (a legal term for guilty mind) required for murder and escape conviction for murder….

and look,

i'm just as shocked and outraged as you (apparently) are about this

Your argument is scizophrenic.

When you have repeatedly argued, as shown, that killing a child is not murder - it’s infanticide? Did you mean infanticide is sometimes  murder? In which case - I accept your concession (see iv) above 

If you’re arguing killing a child is never murder - then I accept your concession, as the above set of arguments - which you mainly ignore - shows this is not true.

You are flitting between the two based upon what you're replying too

Now, I include this not to insult your intelligence, but for completeness:

Are you suggesting, perhaps, that despite this entire thread being in the context about mothers, all my replies are about mothers, and everything I’ve said is about mothers - and at no point, at any point, has anything I have said here at all, comes close to implying or suggesting I am talking about people other than the mother when talking about child killing… that somehow, maybe, you’ve decided that when I am stating things such as “child killing is not murder” - that I suddenly now mean all child killing?

This would, of course, be such a colossal, obscene strawman of my point - given that it clearly takes all those statements completely out of any reasonable context in which it is possible to take them - and requires an interpretation of what I said that is so deliberately obtuse, pettily semantic, and clearly ignorant of my actual argument that I am hesitant to suggest it as it strongly implies either  stupidity, or dishonesty.

If this is the point you’re making: then I accept your concession on this point - and refer you back to all my original points -  as this is clearly a massive straw man of my point, deliberately obtuse and completely unreasonable.

3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@Ramshutu
that killing a child is not murder
i never said, "that killing a child is not murder"
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@Ehyeh
as is the case with contraceptives (as they were new at the time).
In 1839, inventor Charles Goodyear discovered rubber vulcanization, the technology of which led to the creation of the first rubber condoms in 1855.
Ehyeh
Ehyeh
-->
@3RU7AL
All of these, once more, are unconstitutional. Unconstitutional things happen, it doesn't make them consistent. They may believe their position consistent, (obviously) they may even believe its consistent with the constitution if they believe the fetus possesses bodily autonomy, (like bones) but I've shown it is logically inconsistent to give bodily autonomy to the fetus. They just haven't caught onto this yet, just like they haven't caught onto the fact its wrong, (unconstitutional) to put fluoride in their water even if its better for the populace. There's lots of debate and interpretation which goes into the implementation of laws (especially surrounding what is acceptable based on the constitution). 
Ramshutu
Ramshutu
-->
@3RU7AL
“never said, "that killing a child is not murder"

You’ve already made this claim.

I responded above explaining why this is false in all possible interpretations.

At this point, I think it’s clear that you’re argument is the disingenuous, obtuse and wholly unreasonable straw-man I was talking about in the post above that you completely ignored:

Are you suggesting, perhaps, that despite this entire thread being in the context about mothers, all my replies are about mothers, and everything I’ve said is about mothers - and at no point, at any point, has anything I have said here at all, comes close to implying or suggesting I am talking about people other than the mother when talking about child killing… that somehow, maybe, you’ve decided that when I am stating things such as “child killing is not murder” - that I suddenly now mean all child killing?

This would, of course, be such a colossal, obscene strawman of my point - given that it clearly takes all those statements completely out of any reasonable context in which it is possible to take them - and requires an interpretation of what I said that is so deliberately obtuse, pettily semantic, and clearly ignorant of my actual argument that I am hesitant to suggest it as it strongly implies either  stupidity, or dishonesty.

If this is the point you’re making: then I accept your concession on this point - and refer you back to all my original points -  as this is clearly a massive straw man of my point, deliberately obtuse and completely unreasonable.

Conversations are two way: I acknowledge and argue against what you say, normally people have the basic common courtesy and respect to do the same. You don’t have to respond to every line - but at least have a response to the broad argument I’m making.

Your post here - is intellectually dishonest.

You made this claim, I explained why it was wrong - you completely ignore my reply, and restate the claim. It’s not possible to have an intellectual discussion with someone who repeatedly ignores half the discussion.

3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@Ramshutu
Ramshutu
Ramshutu
-->
@3RU7AL
In a civil debate - you don’t repeatedly ignore the opposing argument, and when someone points out you are engaging in an outrageous straw man by taking the things he’s saying so far out of its obvious context that it beggars belief - you don’t simply ignore that argument and restate the same straw man.

I mean, the more I think about your argument the worse it gets; in a conversation that deals exclusively with mothers killing children, where all of the arguments are exclusively about mothers killing children, where you have repeatedly suggested and said mothers killing children is not murder - on what planet do you have to be on to think that “killing children is not murder” is not referring to mothers killing children? 

If you want a “civil debate” then at the very least you should consider being open to engaging in debate - if you providing arguments, but ignoring the majority of what the other side is saying - that isn’t a debate.

If you don’t wish to be called out for intellectual dishonesty - don’t be intellectually dishonest.
Shila
Debates: 0
Shila
-->
@Bones
Abortion double standards

If it is the case that women can willingly engage in sex and subsequently abort the fetus because "her body is her choice", does it then follow that a male can impregnate a female and subsequently not pay child support because "his body his choice"? It is entirely possible that a male, after impregnating a women, regrets the choice, just as how women commonly experience such regret, so would it follow (on the grounds of consistency) that men ought to al have the right to abandon the child and not pay child support?
Women not only get pregnant but have to carry the baby, feed and nurture it for a while.
Whereas the man need only ejaculate into a women and most do prematurely. But the burden of parenting is disproportionate. Hence the double standards.