Is college worth it?

Author: Lair77

Total: 100
badger
Debates: 0
badger
-->
@Polytheist-Witch
That's because we are 50 individual countries even though people call US states.
Don't buy it, but nice counterpoint. Race thing makes way more sense. 
Polytheist-Witch
Debates: 1
Polytheist-Witch
-->
@badger
People often take what's easiest for them to not have to think about.
Shila
Shila
--> @badger
Polytheist-Witch: That's because we are 50 individual countries even though people call US states. We basically in general want the federal government not to intrude upon things that have nothing to do with the federal government. And college is one of those things. The government is free at this point to give out whatever grants they want to people to work around this. I personally don't think you should get more than 2 years after high school pay for. Which means colleges should really streamline exactly what people need when they go to college and trade school would be paid for. If you want the type of job that takes more than 2 years of college then you should pay for it at that point. I don't think the government should be paying for anybody to go through 6-8 years of school for a lawyer or a doctor or a veterinarian or any of those other jobs that require that. And part of the reason for that is college students fuck off constantly.
Think of the higher taxes the better college  educated will be paying versus the taxes minimum wage earners pay  because they lack a college education. 

A smaller percentage will quit college if it is free. That’s a win win for all.

Polytheist-Witch
Polytheist-Witch
-->
@Shila
Whatever you need to tell yourself.
Ehyeh
Debates: 31
Ehyeh
Going to college is only worth it for gender studies. If you're looking to be a doctor you're best off going to culinary school for that.
cristo71
cristo71
-->
@Lair77
If you’re looking to get into the STEM fields, it is worth it. Some fields, such as law and architecture, are pretty saturated, so buyer beware. Degrees in the social sciences are mostly a waste of money unless someone is intent on becoming a schoolteacher. For-profit universities are almost always a ripoff… again, buyer beware. Worst case scenario? Going into debt for a social science AND then dropping out. Both the system and yourself are ripping you off there…

What matters a lot, and no one has mentioned yet, are internships in one’s desired field.
Shila
Shila
-->
@cristo71
--> @Lair77
If you’re looking to get into the STEM fields, it is worth it. Some fields, such as law and architecture, are pretty saturated, so buyer beware. Degrees in the social sciences are mostly a waste of money unless someone is intent on becoming a schoolteacher. For-profit universities are almost always a ripoff… again, buyer beware. Worst case scenario? Going into debt for a social science AND then dropping out. Both the system and yourself are ripping you off there…

What matters a lot, and no one has mentioned yet, are internships in one’s desired field.
Student debt is about 1.7 trillion.

If that’s the best you did with your education, then you did get ripped off.

badger
badger
I have both a trade and a bachelor's. And a good trade too, like kinda fancy, e&i tech, paid me well while I was at it. 

Then I got bored and went back to college. Did a computer science degree. 

I mean my trade is tiddlywinks compared to my degree. And 3 months out of the degree I was earning more than I had been working with 5 years experience in my trade. 

College is serious shit. No way I'd pay American fees though. 
Shila
Shila
-->
@badger
I have both a trade and a bachelor's. And a good trade too, like kinda fancy, e&i tech, paid me well while I was at it. 

Then I got bored and went back to college. Did a computer science degree. 

I mean my trade is tiddlywinks compared to my degree. And 3 months out of the degree I was earning more than I had been working with 5 years experience in my trade. 

College is serious shit. No way I'd pay American fees though. 
That is an American problem for sure. But college is worth it.

sadolite
sadolite
"Getting less than an "A" in college is a waste of everyone's time"  Anonymous

Shila
Shila
-->
@sadolite
"Getting less than an "A" in college is a waste of everyone's time"  Anonymous
So what did you do with all the time you saved?

Greyparrot
Debates: 4
Greyparrot
-->
@badger
There are plenty of affordable colleges in America, but the propaganda is high on selling big names on the diploma.

Not everyone needs a Ferrari to get from point A to point B.

My grad school was hella-cheap. Paid it off in 3 years.
Shila
Shila
-->
@Greyparrot
--> @badger
There are plenty of affordable colleges in America, but the propaganda is high on selling big names on the diploma.

Not everyone needs a Ferrari to get from point A to point B.

My grad school was hella-cheap. Paid it off in 3 years.
You get what you paid for.

Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@Shila
I sure did. Contract rates don't care about the name on a degree. It's a simple checkbox on the wage calculation. But they don't tell you that in the brochures, so your take is understandable.
Shila
Shila
-->
@Greyparrot
-> @Shila
I sure did. Contract rates don't care about the name on a degree. It's a simple checkbox on the wage calculation. But they don't tell you that in the brochures, so your take is understandable.
Most degree holders aim for a 100k+ jobs.Did you check the right box?
Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@Shila
Lol, if you paid 100k for gender studies, that's on you bro.
Shila
Shila
-->
@Greyparrot
--> @Shila
Lol, if you paid 100k for gender studies, that's on you bro.
If it comes with job opportunities that’s a smart move.

Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@Shila
You don't need a degree to be a race grifter.
Shila
Shila
-->
@Greyparrot
--> @Shila
You don't need a degree to be a race grifter.
That is why it doesn’t pay that well.

Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@Shila
You misspelled does.
Shila
Shila
-->
@Greyparrot
--> @Shila
You misspelled does.
Misspelled what?

Athias
Debates: 20
Athias
-->
@Shila
Misspelled what?
Greyparrot's point is that race grifters do make a lot of money, and your contention that they don't must be a result of your misspelling the word, "does." It's a clever way of stating "you're wrong." And I believe Greyparrot would cite Ta-Nahisi Coates as an counterexample to your contention.
Shila
Shila
-->
@Athias
--> @Shila
Misspelled what?
Greyparrot's point is that race grifters do make a lot of money, and your contention that they don't must be a result of your misspelling the word, "does." It's a clever way of stating "you're wrong." And I believe Greyparrot would cite Ta-Nahisi Coates as an counterexample to your contention.
grifter is a con artist: someone who swindles people out of money through fraud.

Con artists  get caught and end up in jail. No spelling mistake here.
Athias
Athias
-->
@Shila
grifter is a con artist: someone who swindles people out of money through fraud.
No definition necessary. When Greyparrot refers to a "race grifter," naturally I would assume he means one who pedals fraudulent notions about race for monetary gain. Again, it's Greyparrot's clever way of stating you're wrong. That is, he maintains that exploiting identitarian politics, particularly on the subject of race, is actually quite profitable.

Con artists  get caught and end up in jail.
Not all of them.

No spelling mistake here.
As I've already explained, it was never about your spelling.
Shila
Shila
-->
@Athias

--> @Shila
No definition necessary. When Greyparrot refers to a "race grifter," naturally I would assume he means one who pedals fraudulent notions about race for monetary gain. Again, it's Greyparrot's clever way of stating you're wrong. That is, he maintains that exploiting identitarian politics, particularly on the subject of race, is actually quite profitable. 
So you are assuming  what he means.
Con artists  get caught and end up in jail. 
Not all of them.
You must be thinking about Trump.
No spelling mistake here.
As I've already explained, it was never about your spelling.
The word used was “misspelled.”
Athias
Athias
-->
@Shila
What gave it away? The fact that I said, "I would assume he means..."

No. Picking a con-artist among politicians is like sifting through grains of sand.

Greyparrot's point is that race grifters do make a lot of money, and your contention that they don't must be a result of your misspelling the word, "does." It's a clever way of stating "you're wrong."
Shila
Shila
-->
@Athias
--> @Shila
What gave it away? The fact that I said, "I would assume he means..." 

No. Picking a con-artist among politicians is like sifting through grains of sand. 

Greyparrot's point is that race grifters do make a lot of money, and your contention that they don't must be a result of your misspelling the word, "does." It's a clever way of stating "you're wrong."
You appear to share his opinion that grifters make a lot of money. So why is spelling an issue?
Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@Athias
I was trying to give him the benefit of the doubt :D
Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@Athias
The courts are still fighting with BLM race grifters over the millions of dollars embezzled. If the prosecutor is someone like Kim Foxx, then they will get away with the felony larceny as expected.

BLM's legacy is No peace and No justice.
Shila
Shila
-->
@Greyparrot
--> @Athias
I was trying to give him the benefit of the doubt :D
So you had doubts too?