Everything about Java is so utterly cumbersome and shit.

Author: RationalMadman

Total: 51
RationalMadman
Debates: 555
RationalMadman
If you compare Java to its rivals within its own family of object-oriented programming, such as C# there is nothing that is more sensible, straightforward or compact in java than in C# (including making edits later on in the coding).

It is fucking STUPID!

If you now compare Java to non-object-oriented languages like Python... Wow, Java is blatantly shit.

Whoever thought Java is a sensible language has no idea how to strategise a coding language where you don't declare all variable fields at the start and don't need to change the code in 2-3 different places every damn time you want to make a single, minor alteration.

How can Java still be lasting when C-languages thwart it at its own game?
Best.Korea
Debates: 251
Best.Korea
Yes, I have talked to Java and she is stupid. She keeps complaining about her life. She wants my phone number, but she is very ugly and I dont want to talk to ugly girls.

Like, my opinion is that ugly should be with ugly.

I cant afford to have my beauty diminished by standing next to an ugly girl.

If you are ugly, you have to understand that you are being very offensive. You are making people feel bad by having to look at you.

I am not saying you are bad if you are ugly. But I am just saying that nobody wants to look at you.
RationalMadman
RationalMadman
except Java is the girl the industry champions and every programmer has to learn these days... So I appreciate the trolling but even with that troll analogy, Java is not the same as a lonely ugly girl but more a hot girl who is so terrible when in an actual relationship as she's so high maintenance and sketchy.
Best.Korea
Best.Korea
Yes your life is hard
zedvictor4
Debates: 22
zedvictor4
-->
@Best.Korea
Ugly is fine if you have plenty of dosh.
Best.Korea
Best.Korea
-->
@zedvictor4
When you are rich, people stop looking at you and start looking at your money.
Barney
Debates: 49
Barney
I have not used Java, but having to declare everything ahead of time sounds terrible!
zedvictor4
zedvictor4
-->
@Best.Korea
Exactly.

Dr.Franklin
Debates: 32
Dr.Franklin
-->
@RationalMadman
How can Java still be lasting when C-languages thwart it at its own game?
because of it's versatility
Dr.Franklin
Dr.Franklin
I personally love Java.
RationalMadman
RationalMadman
-->
@Dr.Franklin
Alright. Clarify for me when to use (value) == (value) vs (value).Equalsto()

One of many mysteries.
Dr.Franklin
Dr.Franklin
-->
@RationalMadman
The double equals are for "number" variables, while the .Equalsto method is for Strings.
RationalMadman
RationalMadman
-->
@Dr.Franklin
you can actually use == for strings and vice versa.

Barely anything in Java is logical. That said, it's widely used and important.
Dr.Franklin
Dr.Franklin
-->
@RationalMadman
Yes but the .equals method is for the actual value of the string
badger
Debates: 0
badger
I know very little about the merits of languages in comparison to each other, but Python is object-oriented, I think even arguably the most object-oriented language as everything is an object, even the classes, which are factories. But yes Python is king for data analysis, scripting, and machine learning.

I personally think loops in Python are ugly, all this in range() and enumerate stuff. Java is a bit verbose and gotta use semicolons and no multiple returns from functions, but it just looks prettier and more solid to me. Classes are prettier too. None of this variable name mangling hackiness. C# also just feels ugly to use, probably because of the .NET and Windows Forms shit. But I fucking love pointers in C++. Apparently Java was invented to fix some security issue with pointers, and I don't know what those were, but I love pointers. 
badger
badger
I mean Java is definitely the comfiest language. Python is lightweight, but it's like building in bricks and cement vs timber. So much in Python feels hacky also. 

Again, no real clue about the merits of languages in comparison to each other. Python is interpreted, Java is compiled. Java is a more powerful language too. That means very little to me in my day-to-day. I just use whatever the fuck I feel like or whatever's supported on whatever VM I'm working on or whatever. 
badger
badger
List comprehensions are also ugly. 

7 days later

CoolApe
CoolApe
-->
@RationalMadman
If your serious about programming, start with C.

Many high level programming languages like the ones you mentioned derive form C. It fundamental and basic and not obscured by the complexities of object oriented programming. The higher level languages hide from programmer what they're actually doing and tend be a lot slower than C.

Python is great for writing powerful programs, but not really meant to be used for applications where hardware and speed is crucial. 
BearMan
Debates: 16
BearMan
-->
@RationalMadman

If you now compare Java to non-object-oriented languages like Python... Wow, Java is blatantly shit.
Python supports OOP, and I think it's better that way. OOP is bussin fr.

Whoever thought Java is a sensible language has no idea how to strategise a coding language where you don't declare all variable fields at the start and don't need to change the code in 2-3 different places every damn time you want to make a single, minor alteration.
Usually when programmers need to change their code in multiple places to enact a singular change, it's the programmer's fault as they aren't following the DRY principle.

Also, I'm not sure what you mean by declaring all variable fields at the start? Do you mean type definitions? I would argue that they are extraordinarily useful. 

(value) == (value) vs (value).Equalsto()
Since Java doesn't support operator overloading, when comparing the values of an object, you have to use .equals(). The general rule is that u use == when comparing primitives, and .equals() when comparing objects.

you can actually use == for strings and vice versa.
Nah, you can't. If you want to compare the values within the strings, and not the actual object itself, you MUST use .equals(). The way I understand it, the only time you can use == for an object is if ur seeing if two values are the SAME object.
BearMan
BearMan
-->
@badger
List comprehensions are also ugly. 
They can be elegant if not overused.

I would rather do [int(i) for i in ls], rather than

new_ls = []
for i in ls:
  new_ls.append(int(i))

(or just list(map(int, ls)) )

Obviously, doing complicated operations with list comprehensions can be a bit funky. I used this once, when I was short on time (goofy competitive programming event):

[(i[0], [j for j in i[1] if j not in alr]) for i in p_pos if i[0]!=char or index not in i[1]] 

RationalMadman
RationalMadman
-->
@BearMan
private void langJava;

public bool bearmansConundrum(class Bearman)
     if langJava.isEqual("Pain in the ass")
          {
             Send Bearman away
          }
      else 
         {
            Send Bearman further away
         }

58 days later

DebateArt.com
DebateArt.com
I think these days more and more people actually switch to Kotlin, especially after it was declared as the main language for the Android development ( or something along those lines )

Another point is that after having moved to a functional language, OOP started to seem kinda awkward to me.

zedvictor4
zedvictor4
-->
@DebateArt.com
300 million years we managed without it.

And it took 50 years to become slaves to it.

How long before it takes over completely.

What actually is it.
ebuc
ebuc
-->
@zedvictor4
What actually is it.
Its what makes the world go round and round. A chemical technological wonder.

LINK .." Java Man: How caffeine created the modern world "...

Paraphrasing below

..' Coffee Aspect:  Male, Boisterous, Indulgence, Hardheaded, Topology, Heidegger, Beethoven, Libertarian, Promiscuous

....Tea Aspect: Female, Decorous, Temperance, Romantic, Geometry, Carnap, Mozart, Statist, Pure '....

..." Take coffee’s reputation as the “thinker’s” drink. This dates from eighteenth-century Europe, where coffeehouses played a major role in the egalitarian, inclusionary spirit that was then sweeping the continent. They sprang up first in London, so alarming Charles II that in 1676 he tried to ban them. "...

Paraphrasing Fuller:

Male = tainted motion/spin/momentum = pusher { seemingly so } ---> pointed focus ---> get-er-done irrespective of how or why
...sex: men just need a place....

Female = pure symmetry/asymmetry = attractor/attracter more  bilaterally omni-considerate (   )(   ) totality
...sex: women need a reason.....

Eat drink and be merry --Were Knights of the Round Table { monty python LINK }
ADreamOfLiberty
ADreamOfLiberty
I can't remember at this point why I decided ebuc wasn't a chat bot...

Anyway those who speak again OOP are blasphemers. "functional programing" is the cave-dwelling hell before the glorious light of OOP arrived. It is equivalent to OOP where you are limited to singletons.

C++ is love. C++ is life. C++ can do everything (except reasonable meta-programming) without hiding anything.
ebuc
ebuc
All of Universe is technology.

What makes the Universe go round and round? Gravity and Dark Energy.

What makes JAVA so special? AI.

What makes humans invent things like JAVA? Java bean, of course. A pinch of sugar and salt along the way also sways humans character  toward good spirits.

Alcohol also produce euphoria first drink or so, then it becomes nervous system depressant, and the world slows its round and round, til comes to a dead stop.
BearMan
BearMan
-->
@DebateArt.com
are functional programming languages becoming more popular in industry?

if so im absolutely screwed cuz langs like haskell confuse me
DebateArt.com
DebateArt.com
-->
@BearMan
I don’t know about Haskell, but functional approach becomes quite popular, even in languages like JavaScript. But these days I mostly use Elixir and it’s amazing and way simpler to understand compared to Haskell. 
zedvictor4
zedvictor4
-->
@DebateArt.com
Pencil and paper was fine.

Do we do all this stuff because we can?

Or because it's necessary.

One might suggest that necessity implies purpose.

Is this tiny speck of cosmic dust, the be all and end all of Universal success.
ebuc
ebuc
-->
@zedvictor4
Is this tiny speck of cosmic dust, the all and end all of Universal success.
Woman { X x } is most complex entity  of Universe, barring ideas of two or more women, man and woman or black holes and the Universe.
.....cant live with them, cant leave without them. Old saying passed around by less complex men { X y }......

AI is  a resultant of humans access to Meta-space mind/intellect/concepts and ego.
...abacus { zero column } >>>  A. Turing computer { mathematician } >>> digital age { binary electronics }  >>> AI.......

Earth and humans do appear to rare/special to Universe. 
...are humans to smart for their own britches?......