How much has Christianity fucked people up psychologically?

Author: n8nrgim

Total: 60
n8nrgim
Debates: 0
n8nrgim
I'm a solid christian in my beliefs. I believe in the afterlife and that God is love. I have concluded that the best way reconcile all this is to say God loves everyone but there r consequences to our actions. 

I grew up catholic so that catholic guilt colors my psyche. But beyond that, even focusing on the words of Jesus instead of the rest of the new testament can be disheartening. He said we r judged by how we act, we can't know we r saved, some sins r unforgivable. What do those of us think who know we r wretched sinners? Modern protestantism gives a different spin on all these issues, but if we take the gospels as they r, it can be very upsetting. No wonder there's so much depression and sorrow in the world.
zedvictor4
Debates: 22
zedvictor4
-->
@n8nrgim
Are you a Christian a Catholic or what?

Nonetheless, data conditioning establishes a database, and people function accordingly.

So GOD data is significant to you and irrelevant for me.

We may modify our points of view over time, but not greatly.

A tendency to feel anxious relative to how we process data, is just another example of a conditioned response. (With possibly a touch of genetically inherited behaviour thrown in too. Though a separate issue).

But I think that it's fair to say that religion based angst is acquired postnatally. Considering that Christianity is basically a 2000 year old  folk tale that people teach to their kids.

Let's face it, people get hung up over all sorts of stupid stuff.
Intelligence_06
Debates: 167
Intelligence_06
If real communism has never been tried, then the answer is 0, because real christianity would never mess up people.
BrotherD.Thomas
BrotherD.Thomas
-->
@n8nrgim

n8nrgim,

YOUR QUOTE OF DESPAIR: "How much has Christianity fucked people up psychologically?"

First thing, if you are a Christian, the last statement you would make is your quote above! BLASPHEME!

Secondly, my faith in our primitive  Bronze and Iron Age brutal serial killer Jesus has not affected me in any way whatsoever, as I have shown this fact in following His doctrines to the letter in the following link, praise: https://www.debateart.com/forum/topics/8366/post-links/362507

I think your big problem was the fact that you were associated with the Mackerel Snappers in the beginning , where you were probably worried if you were going to be the next victim of a pedophile priest.  Whereas this image is so true: https://www.imagebam.com/view/MEHLU8A

Lemming
Debates: 6
Lemming
-->
@n8nrgim
I don't know,

If I had grown up as an Atheist, a Materialist,
Would I still be a Nihilist?

I don't know,
I find existence confusing, incoherent at times, insane, I want to scream,

But I don't place that on Christianity,
Rather conclusions about existence as I perceive it,
I place my discomfort on Atheism and Materialism.

For me, Christianity was when I was more intact psychologically.
But, might be if I'd grown without it, I'd be intact,
I'm doubtful though.
BrotherD.Thomas
BrotherD.Thomas
-->
@Lemming

Lemming,

YOUR REVEALING QUOTE: "For me, Christianity was when I was more intact psychologically."

Of course, and what pseudo-christian like you wouldn't be more intact psychologically in knowing that our Jesus, as God, is a brutal serial killer, especially of innocent fetus,' babies, and children as Jesus as God drowned them, as their mothers watched in horror in Jesus' Great Flood (Genesis 7:24)

Furthermore, as Jesus being  God, then He murdered  innocent zygotes, fetus' and murdering babies if the woman of Ephraim gave birth to them, therefore, how can a pseudo-christian like YOU not be intact psychologically in knowing this biblical axiom of our serial killer Jesus, praise! (Hosea 9:11-16)

Additionally, Jesus was a "man's man" when He murdered innocent infants where these  infants had nothing to do with waylaying Israel in going out of Egypt!   Can you imagine their little infant screams as they were being brutally murdered by our Jesus' orders to do so, and wondering why this was happening to them?Praise Jesus' revenge on innocent infant life!  (1 Samuel 15:2-3)

Speaking of innocent infants being bloodily murdered by our Jesus as God, how about the time when He murdered the innocent first born children in Egypt at the time that Jesus as God decided to show His strength to Pharaoh? As always shown within the Bible, our Jesus is always killing innocent infants and children!  (Exodus 12:29)

Lemming, yes, I know, the above Biblical situations are only a few of the many times our Jesus as God murdered innocent infants and children, but if these Biblical facts helps  you in being more intact psychologically in being a Christian, like you quoted above, then so be it, praise!

NEXT PSEUDO-CHRISTIAN LIKE "LEMMING" THAT GAINS SOLACE IN BEING PSYCHOLOGICALLY INTACT WITH CHRISTIANITY IN KNOWING THAT JESUS AS GOD MURDERS INNOCENT INFANTS AND CHILDREN, WILL BE ...?

Reece101
Debates: 1
Reece101
-->
@Lemming
I don't know,

If I had grown up as an Atheist, a Materialist,
Would I still be a Nihilist?

I don't know,
I find existence confusing, incoherent at times, insane, I want to scream,

But I don't place that on Christianity,
Rather conclusions about existence as I perceive it,
I place my discomfort on Atheism and Materialism.

For me, Christianity was when I was more intact psychologically.
But, might be if I'd grown without it, I'd be intact,
I'm doubtful though.
This is more of a modernity/industrial issue. People who like to think about these sort of things have more time to ask themselves existential questions. It might be better for you to focus on family, friends, hobbies or what have you with your free time.
Lemming
Debates: 6
Lemming
-->
@Reece101
I would prefer not to.
BrotherD.Thomas
BrotherD.Thomas
-->
@Lemming

Lemming,

YOUR QUOTE TO REECE101 "I would prefer not to."

Then very simply, you have to revert back to your Christianity as I have given you an example of said faith for you to accept in the following link:

YouFound_Lxam
Debates: 32
YouFound_Lxam
-->
@Reece101
@n8nrgim
I grew up catholic so that catholic guilt colors my psyche. But beyond that, even focusing on the words of Jesus instead of the rest of the New Testament can be disheartening. He said we r judged by how we act, we can't know we r saved, some sins r unforgivable. What do those of us think who know we r wretched sinners? Modern Protestantism gives a different spin on all these issues, but if we take the gospels as they r, it can be very upsetting. No wonder there's so much depression and sorrow in the world.
Christianity is based on the idea, that God created everything. Then he came down to earth, to live a sinless life, and die for our sins. 

The Old Testament is still relevant to Christianity, but keep in mind that the laws that pertain to like you said: 
we r judged by how we act
we can't know we r saved
some sins r unforgivable
Were all in play because we had no way to repent. But when Jesus came down, lived a sinless life, and died for our sins, he gave us a way to get to heaven. 

We now know how to be saved.
All of our sins are forgivable.
And we are not judged based just on works, because:

Jesus died for us. 

That is what Christianity is. 
YouFound_Lxam
YouFound_Lxam
-->
@n8nrgim
Sorry wrong person tagged. 
PREZ-HILTON
Debates: 18
PREZ-HILTON
This is how Christianity hurt me and why I was an atheist for so long. 

One form of abuse my father inflicted on me was extreme sleep deprivation. He wouldn't allow me to sleep and would force me to read the book of revelations over and over . Sometimes he would just repeat the same sentence to me for 10 hours in a row. Once, it was "your mother doesn't love you". When I say 10 hours straight, it isn't an exaggeration. He kidnapped me and kept me from my mother, just for reference.

Bible study which consisted of just reading revelations over and over was torturous though. 

Besides my father doing that, I was obsessed with the bible myself as a child. Reading it everyday. I was trying to find some sort of key to immortality but the bible made me fear losing it.

Verses like "it is easier for a camel to fit through the eye of the needle than a rich man to get to heaven" stuck with me until adult hood. At 18 I was getting huge promotions to 6 figures salary type situations and I would quit my job with any success achieved because I didn't want to have money and spend eternity in hell. I am still trying to escape that pattern. Big salaries come easy to me, but they always come with guilt and fear attached. It didn't help that I hate wealthy people as well and didn't want to become what I hate.

Another verse that stuck with me is turning the other cheek. I became a door mat and worse a coward. In fact I thought it was holy to take abuse and not respond. I would put myself in situations where Ii would be subjected to extreme abuse.

When my father died, I also had extreme guilt because I felt I had caused him to burn in hell for eternity, because I never pushed Christianity on him.

I still struggle with those destructive things until this day.

What pushes people away from Christianity is not atheists or the depravity of the world.

It is Christians not correcting misconceptions common even among Christians that God wants you to be poor to get to heaven and to tolerate abuse
BrotherD.Thomas
BrotherD.Thomas
-->
@PREZ-HILTON

Wylted,

YOUR QUOTE OF WHY YOU ARE POOR: "It is Christians not correcting misconceptions common even among Christians that God wants you to be poor to get to heaven and to tolerate abuse"

Yes, Jesus as God wants his followers to be as poor as possible as these passages so states:

"Sell your possessions, and give to the needy. Provide yourselves with moneybags that do not grow old, with a treasure in the heavens that does not fail, where no thief approaches and no moth destroys. For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also." (Luke 12:33-34)

“Take care, and be on your guard against all covetousness, for one's life does not consist in the abundance of his possessions.” (Luke 12:15)

This is why I have nothing but the essentials to live, and why I live down by the river in my godly Bible Bus, praise!

PREZ-HILTON
Debates: 18
PREZ-HILTON
-->
@BrotherD.Thomas
Yes, Jesus as God wants his followers to be as poor as possible as these passages so states:
They aren't ready for that knowledge until they are indoctrinated. As Paul said, milk for babies but meat for men

Also beautiful bus father 

8 days later

Conservallectual
Debates: 27
Conservallectual
None. Evidence shows that devout Christians have better mental health than less religious people.
IlDiavolo
IlDiavolo
Considering the bible was written by a bunch of human beings like you and me, but far more ignorant, its quite likely you are misinterpreting the words of Jesus who was called the Christ by his followers.

If Jesus were alive in our days, he would be more like Dalai Lama or any other similar spiritual guru. And I trully believe the definition of God and the devil (me) would be clearer and not that shit christian churches try to sell us.
BrotherD.Thomas
BrotherD.Thomas
-->
@Conservallectual

Conservallectual,

YOUR QUOTE OF OPINION AND HEARSAY: "None. Evidence shows that devout Christians have better mental health than less religious people."

Listen, I already made you the pseudo-christian fool in my RATzinger thread, then you have the audacity to come into this thread and NOT support your alleged claims shown in your quote above?  This is a prestigious Forum, therefore, ACT LIKE IT!

This is a discussion forum, not an opinionated discussion forum without FACTS to support your claims, do you understand?!  Now, wipe the egg from your face and scour the internet with actual FACTS to support you quoted claim above, get it? Huh?

Pseudo-christians like Conservallectual are a dime-a-dozen at this Religion Forum.  :(

Conservallectual
Debates: 27
Conservallectual
-->
@BrotherD.Thomas
Okay, why am I a pseudo-Christian? I read my bible every day and believe all these tenets:

* God is real and he created the world in 6 days, and rested on the 7th
* Christ is the son of God
* Christ was born of a virgin
* Christ died for our sins
* Christ came back to life 3 days later
* The bible is the word of God
* God is omnipotent, omniscient, omnipresent
* Salvation through faith alone
* God will judge my afterlife

Where exactly did I commit heresy?
BrotherD.Thomas
BrotherD.Thomas
-->
@Conservallectual

Conservallectual,

You are yet another pseudo-christian that is frequenting this esteemed Religion Forum, where you have NO BUSINESS being here in the first place because of your Bible ineptness!

YOUR UNGODLY QUOTE: "Christ is the son of God"

Wrong Bible fool!  Jesus Christ is the serial killer Yahweh God incarnate as shown in the following passages that you obviously didn't read in the Bible!

1. THE BIBLE STATES THERE IS ONLY ONE GOD WHICH IS JESUS:  “For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus.” (1 Timothy 2:5)

2. JESUS IS THE ONE GOD:   Simon Peter, a servant and apostle of Jesus Christ, To those who through the righteousness of our God and Savior Jesus Christ have received a faith as precious as ours.”

3. JESUS IS THE LIVING GOD: “For it is for this we labor and strive, because we have fixed our hope on the living God, who is the Savior of all men, especially of believers.” (1 Timothy 4:10)”

4. JESUS ADMITS HE IS GOD:  "Jesus answered: "Don"t you know me, Philip, even after I have been among you such a long time? Anyone who has seen me has seen the Father. How can you say, Show us the Father?” (John 14:9)

Now, do you want me to address your other biblical misnomers where what you think you know about the Bible, you don't? Or do you want me to remain silent upon them to save you from further embarrassment in front of the membership, you choose!

NEXT BIBLE STUPID PSEUDO-CHRISTIAN EQUAL TO "CONSERVALLECTUAL" THAT IS BLATANTLY IGNORANT OF THE BIBLE,  WILL BE ... ?

BrotherD.Thomas
BrotherD.Thomas
-->
@Stephen

Stephen,

Where in the hell did this pseudo-christian Conservallectual stumble in from? As if we need more dumbfounded pseudo-christians roaming around this Religion forum making Bible fools of themselves!

I have had to correct this Bible inept Conservallectual THREE TIMES thus far, where I am sure when he spews forth more Devil Speak, we will have to correct him even further like we had to do with the #1 Bible stupid Miss Tradesecret.

Stephen
Stephen
-->
@BrotherD.Thomas
As if we need more dumbfounded pseudo-christians roaming around this Religion forum making Bible fools of themselves!

The more the better, if you ask me, Brother D.  I quite like the challenge just to watch them totally ignore  questions raised by their own comments and then disappear as quick as they came. There has been a few of them lately and I don't believe any of them can stand the pace.

Where in the hell did this pseudo-christian Conservallectual stumble in from? 

I don't know Brother. But s/he appears to have came, commented and ignored as they all do at the slightest challenge.

And s/he has displayed the typical hypocrisy as they all  do.
YouFound_Lxam
YouFound_Lxam
-->
@Conservallectual
Brother D. is a troll.
Don't mind him.
BrotherD.Thomas
BrotherD.Thomas
-->
@YouFound_Lxam

YouFound_Lxam, that is trying to be Bible Dumber than Miss Tradesecret,

YOUR QUOTE WHERE YOU JUST DON'T LEARN IN YOU BEING A HYPOCRITE: "Brother D. is a troll. Don't mind him."                                                                                                    https://www.debateart.com/forum/topics/8385/post-links/365028

Definition of a Troll:   A troll is Internet slang for a person who intentionally tries to instigate conflict, hostility, or arguments in an online social community.”

Guess what YouFound_Lxam, YOU ARE THE BIBLE FOOL TROLL because you intentionally instigate conflict by being so Bible stupid, whereas the membership has to address your direct Bible stupidity, and when you deny it and RUN AWAY from it, then we have to show this fact with fervor to try and get through to you in just how Bible stupid you are!

1. You RUN AWAY from Jesus promoting that LGBTQ members should be murdered in this link below: 

2.  You RUN AWAY from Jesus saying that women that are not virgins after marriage should be stoned to death in the link below:

3. You RUN AWAY from Jesus saying that the Christian is to murder anyone that is an unbeliever of Christianity in the link below:

4. You RUN AWAY from the fact that Homosexuality is a sin, whether acted upon or not, in the link below:

Then to add more embarrassment because of your Bible ineptness, you have RAN AWAY 22 TIMES from my godly posts to you that were all inspired by Jesus in the following links as a Bible Fool Troll:

Then if you running away from my godly inspired posts to you shown above wasn’t embarrassing enough for you, THEN, you enter debates and fall flat upon your face because of your Bible ignorance and stupidity AGAIN, as unfortunately shown below as a Bible Fool Troll:

Here you say that God “most likely exists” which is not sure for you!

Where before, you said that God does exist as an absolute and you can prove it!

In this debate, you said that abortion should be illegal, BUT, you are not aware that Jesus as God was the biggest abortionist in history! Get it?

NEXT PSEUDO-CHRISTIAN LIKE “YOUFOUND_LXAM” IN BEING A BIBLE FOOL TROLL BECAUSE OF HIS BIBLE STUPIDITY INSTIGATING ARGUMENTS, WHEREAS I HAVE TO GODLY CORRECT HIM ALL THE TIME, WILL BE … ?

BrotherD.Thomas
BrotherD.Thomas
-->
@YouFound_Lxam

YouFound_Lxam, that is trying to be Bible Dumber than Miss Tradesecret,

The membership can see that you CANNOT respond to my post #23 above?  Obviously you can't because the TRUTH that it shows about you is to embarrassing to even "try" to respond!  You are a complete Bible fool in the forum, just accept this FACT and try to move on in all the time knowing that myself and others easily OWN YOUR BIBLE STUPIDITY!

NEXT BIBLE STUPID PSEUDO-CHRISTIAN EQUAL TO "YOUFOUND_LXAN" THAT NOT ONLY WANTS TO BE BIBLE DUMBER THAN MISS TRADESECRET,  BUT WANTS TO BE THE #1 BIBLE RUNAWAY FROM BIBLICAL AXIOMS, WILL BE ... ?

BrotherD.Thomas
BrotherD.Thomas
-->
@Conservallectual

Conservallectual,

What happened, did I Bible Slap you Silly®️ too hard in my post #19 that shows your outright Bible stupidity again, as Jesus' words and I did in this following link before herewith:   https://www.debateart.com/forum/topics/8385/post-links/365015

You have TWO STRIKES with me, therefore, are you going to stick around for the third one as I embarrassingly strike you out in front of the membership! LOL!

NEXT PSEUDO-CHRISTIAN BIBLE DUNCE LIKE "CONSERVALLECTUAL" THAT THINKS HE KNOWS THE BIBLE, BUT AS EASILY SHOWN BY ME, HE DOESN'T, WILL BE ... ?

FLRW
FLRW

Atheists and agnostics tend to be just a healthy and satisfied with life as their religious counterparts, according to new research published in Journal of Religion and Health. The findings cast doubts on the theory that religion and spirituality enhance personal wellbeing.
FLRW
FLRW

Who is smarter, Jim Bakker or Stephen Hawking?
FLRW
FLRW

Jesus never existed. He was a myth created by first-century Jews who modeled him after other dying and resurrected pagan gods.
BrotherD.Thomas
BrotherD.Thomas
-->
@FLRW

FLRW, 

YOUR SATANIC AND UNGODLY QUOTE: " Jesus never existed. He was a myth created by first-century Jews who modeled him after other dying and resurrected pagan gods."

When you posted your statement above, I am sure that Jesus sent a  bolt of lightening and struck your place of living, BLASPHEME!          

Are you telling us that Jesus is equal to the other Gods like  Dionysus, Mithras, Sol Invictus, Osiris, Asclepius, Attis, and Adonis that had the same attributes as Jesus, and that were way before Him in time, thus saying that Jesus is just a "copy-cat" God of the Bronze and Iron Age?  How dare you!

FLRW, I would certainly be careful from now on because Jesus has a "vengeance streak" and may take it out upon you: "Beloved, never avenge yourselves, but leave it to the wrath of God, for it is written, “Vengeance is mine, I will repay, says the Lord.” (Romans 12:19)

FLRW
FLRW
-->
@BrotherD.Thomas

OMG, I just made $10,000.00 day trading today!  Lucifer loves me!