Genders

Author: sadolite

Total: 79
Bones
Debates: 30
Bones
-->
@Barney
I think you're argument being predicated in respect within the workspace is pragmatic, but it doesn't actually defend the cogency of the principle, or even posit it's necessity. Take for example, if society were to transition into the norm of allowing individuals to be designated their own adjectives. The argument you are running will can defend such a scenario - it takes literally nothing to assign an individual a given adjective, yet the feasibility of an initiative does not actually bolster it's credibility nor necessity. I agree with you to the extent that I would call someone whatever gender they want, but internally, I believe this entire notion is bs. 

Bottom line is this - would you agree that the plethora of neo-pronouns, identified through the 57 or however many genders their are now, are fundamentally unproductive, although you still use them purely from a place of virtue?  
Barney
Debates: 50
Barney
-->
@Bones
would you agree that the plethora of neo-pronouns, identified through the 57 or however many genders their are now, are fundamentally unproductive, although you still use them purely from a place of virtue?  
On balance yes.

Which is not the same as disbelieving in them; there are however diminishing returns after the first few.

As I said earlier, I think male female and other is enough for most purposes . It would be an inconvenience for the vast majority of people if every work application we saw the list of 57 options, of which multiple may be selected.

An example of positive utility is someone listing themselves as trans on dating apps. It’s perfectly fine that many people are open minded heterosexuals. However, every conservative guy here (excepting for one I had to ban), is almost certainly mono-heterosexual; who would not want to date someone we might consider to have once been a man. Similarly, I at least would not wish to date what I would consider to be a woman, if she identifies as a man.

I expect someone may jump in and call me transphobic. I’d call myself trans-disinterested.
Intelligence_06
Debates: 167
Intelligence_06
If someone believe that gender is not equivalent to sex, they support the notion of transgenderism or they are a hypocrite.

The stances on this issue means barely anything removing the factions that support them who do other things that mean something. In fact, I am starting to think about changing the "gender" option to "sex", so we wouldn't have to deal with all these crazy and brand-new identities filled-in. And trust me, someone will eventually fill in "attack helicopter" if a fill-in option is within the "gender" dropbar, ironically or unironically.

It is simple. Storing "male", "female", and "other" as 0, 1 and 2 as opposed to all this colorful spectrum of string-type probably would save data space. Not necessarily needed on a small server like Dart, but I imagine a great deal on large ones such as Twitter.
zedvictor4
Debates: 22
zedvictor4
-->
@Barney
To be honest, who would employ people with serious psychological problems.

They would always be throwing a sicky.

Not that throwing a sicky isn't already an established part of (British)work culture.

Perhaps the U.S. is different.
ebuc
Debates: 0
ebuc
-->
@sadolite
......X x { female } >< { male } X y

Various combinations of the above ergo hermaphrodites/intersex

womb..." Etymology. From Middle English wombe, wambe, from Old English womb, wamb (“belly, stomach; bowels; heart; womb; hollow”), from Proto-West Germanic *wambu, from Proto-Germanic *wambō (“belly, stomach, abdomen”). Of Saxon origins

...‘England’ was named after a Germanic tribe called the Angles. The name is derived from the Old English name ‘Englaland, which means land of the Angles. The Angles were one of the Germanic tribes that settled in Great Britain during the Early Middle Ages. "...

..." the Angles settled in Central, Northern, and Eastern England in the 5th century CE. The Saxons, a related tribe, settled in the south.; this period of history is therefore known as Anglo-Saxon. ‘Englaland’ became one country in 937, under King Æthelstan. "..

..." In the most basic sense, sex is biologically determined and gender is culturally determined. "..
sadolite
sadolite
-->
@ebuc
What's your point?
sadolite
sadolite
"In the most basic sense, sex is biologically determined and gender is culturally determined. "..  That would mean nothing about gender is scientific but just made up cultural BS and I as an individual can choose to buy into the BS or not to.
FLRW
FLRW
From: Research on the Transgender Brain: What You Should Know

What’s going on in your brain plays a large role in determining the gender you identify with — and researchers working with transgender people are just starting to understand how.
Being transgender has nothing to do with sexual identity. As one doctor puts it, “Sexuality is about who you’re attracted to. Gender is about who you are.”
In the birthing process, a medical professional will declare your baby a boy or a girl based on their sexual organs — but does this determine their gender?
“We’re trying to change the understanding of gender,” says psychiatrist Murat Altinay, MD. “That’s one of my big goals. The main question I’m asking is, ‘Where is the gender?’”
We know that as an embryo forms, the genitalia specializes into either male or female. But what about development in the brain?
“The brain and the body can go in different directions,” Dr. Altinay says. “Gender is not only in our genitalia; there’s something in the brain that determines gender.”
“The male and female brain have structural differences,” he says. Men and women tend to have different volumes in certain areas of the brain.
“When we look at the transgender brain, we see that the brain resembles the gender that the person identifies as,” Dr. Altinay says. For example, a person who is born with a penis but ends up identifying as a female often actually has some of the structural characteristics of a “female” brain.
TWS1405_2
Debates: 4
TWS1405_2
-->
@Barney
And which English dictionary informs your opinion?
Try the one rooted in scientific facts and not idiotic leftist mentally delusional wishful Thinking. 

Barney
Barney
-->
@TWS1405_2
And which dictionary consistently fits your criteria?
TWS1405_2
TWS1405_2
-->
@Barney
Any that is rooted in scientific facts and not pseudo know-it-all mentally delusional fictional terms and their equally fictional definitions. 
Barney
Barney
-->
@TWS1405_2
You’re dodging the question.

I’ll save you the trouble: your dream dictionary which wholly agrees with all your opinions, does not exist.
TWS1405_2
TWS1405_2
-->
@Barney
Not dodging anything. You are just in denial. 
Barney
Barney
-->
@TWS1405_2
Then share with us the name of your perfect dictionary.
YouFound_Lxam
Debates: 32
YouFound_Lxam
-->
@Barney
Would you like to debate me on the idea that there are more than two genders?
We can work out the details. 
TWS1405_2
TWS1405_2
-->
@Barney
They are all perfect  dictionaries if their content follows fact based science. 
Barney
Barney
-->
@TWS1405_2
And which English dictionary informs your opinion?
Try the one rooted in scientific facts and not idiotic leftist mentally delusional wishful Thinking. 
And which dictionary consistently fits your criteria?
Any that is rooted in scientific facts and not pseudo know-it-all mentally delusional fictional terms and their equally fictional definitions. 
You’re dodging the question.

I’ll save you the trouble: your dream dictionary which wholly agrees with all your opinions, does not exist.
Not dodging anything. You are just in denial. 
Then share with us the name of your perfect dictionary.
They are all perfect  dictionaries if their content follows fact based science. 
I'm sorry the facts of the English language hurts your feelings, to the point where you cannot spell the name of even a single dictionary even after so many attempts.

TWS1405_2
TWS1405_2
-->
@Barney
Feel better, Karen! 😝 

11 days later

AleutianTexan
AleutianTexan
Honestly, you really don't need to know anything besides male, female, and non-binary. Cis and trans men go by he/him. Cis and trans women go by she/her. Non-binary people may accept either of those, prefer they/them, or some variation of neopronouns, tho I've never experienced anyone who wants to go by those in real life.