Abortion should be illegal, except for cases where it is a threat to the mother's life.

Author: YouFound_Lxam

Total: 148
Reece101
Debates: 1
Reece101
-->
@YouFound_Lxam
Now, can you actually equate abortion and drunk driving, why are they fundamentally similar? Also you said you were okay with the morning after pill, correct?
Yes you can. Both are taking a risk, and both have a consequence.
Lots of things have risks and consequences. you’re not saying anything fundamental.

YouFound_Lxam
Debates: 32
YouFound_Lxam
-->
@Reece101
Lots of things have risks and consequences. you’re not saying anything fundamental.
Yes, lots of things have risks and consequences. One of those things is sex. 
Are we agreeing?

YouFound_Lxam
YouFound_Lxam
-->
@TheUnderdog
I oppose life in jail for ANY crime because I don’t want tax dollars feeding murderers and rapists.
That is a whole other topic.

Charging for manslaughter doesn’t make sense; if abortion was banned, abortionists wouldn’t perform abortions which means the female is going to have to perform her own abortion.
Or there could be illegal abortions, that take place. But in this scenario, yes you are right. 

All abortions are premeditated.  1 in 6 women have gotten a premeditated abortion.  If you know 60 women, 10 of them about got a premeditated abortion.  But I don’t support making the penalty for abortion life in jail or the death penalty because it’s not pragmatic.
How can an abortion not be premeditated? You get pregnant, then have to make the decision of getting the abortion or not, therefore planning to kill over a long period of time. 

It is possible (and happens a lot) where you follow every rule for consensual sex and still end up pregnant.  Birth control reduces abortions; it doesn’t eliminate them.  YOU shouldn’t be having recreational sex.
Yes, birth control reduces the risk for pregnancy, but doesn't eliminate them. To make the claim "you shouldn't be having recreational sex" would take a lot to back up into an argument.  
Reece101
Reece101
-->
@YouFound_Lxam
Yes, lots of things have risks and consequences. One of those things is sex. 
Are we agreeing?
Are you saying it should be illegal to walk down the street because you might get hit by a car?
YouFound_Lxam
YouFound_Lxam
-->
@Reece101
Are you saying it should be illegal to walk down the street because you might get hit by a car?
No, I am saying that when you do something with a risk factor, you are consenting to that risk, and all in all, what you do affects what happens around you. 

If I walk through a bad part of town waving a stack of 100-dollar bills, and someone robs me, then it isn't my fault that I was robbed, but it was stupid of me to do that in the first place, and I have to live with the consequences. 
Reece101
Reece101
-->
@YouFound_Lxam
So the women or girl is the one waving the cash around and the government/corporations are the robber in this analogy? I’m kind of confused. 
YouFound_Lxam
YouFound_Lxam
-->
@Reece101
So the women or girl is the one waving the cash around and the government/corporations are the robber in this analogy? I’m kind of confused. 
No.

I used that analogy to represent, that if you make bad decisions, bad things will probably happen to you.
Reece101
Reece101
-->
@YouFound_Lxam
No.

I used that analogy to represent, that if you make bad decisions, bad things will probably happen to you. 
You’re using government coercion as the criteria of why abortion/morning after pill should be a bad decision. 
Do you understand the issues with that argument? 
YouFound_Lxam
YouFound_Lxam
-->
@Reece101
You’re using government coercion as the criteria of why abortion/morning after pill should be a bad decision. 
Yes, the government should ban any form of abortion. What is wrong with that argument? 
Reece101
Reece101
-->
@YouFound_Lxam
You haven’t argued why abortion/morning after pill are wrong in and of themselves. You’re just using the threat of the government as to why they should be wrong.
YouFound_Lxam
YouFound_Lxam
-->
@Reece101
You haven’t argued why abortion/morning after pill are wrong in and of themselves.
Abortion is wrong, because it is the removal of a life. Is the removal of a life wrong? If so, then abortion is also wrong.
The morning after pill is a form of abortion, because at that point conception has already taken place, and a life has formed. 

You’re just using the threat of the government as to why they should be wrong.
You started the argument on why the government should intervene, not why abortion is wrong. 

Making abortion illegal and unsafe is a threat to the mothers life regardless.
Be honest, you don’t care about women and young girls.

You would be focused on preventing these circumstances in the first place if you were genuine. 
Maybe focusing on better healthcare and/or looking at expenses of raising children.
Don’t you want a healthy nuclear family?
The only reason I am arguing government intervention, is because that is the only thing that you were trying to argue. You never once brought up or asked why abortion itself is wrong. 
Reece101
Reece101
-->
@YouFound_Lxam
You haven’t argued why abortion/morning after pill are wrong in and of themselves.
Abortion is wrong, because it is the removal of a life. Is the removal of a life wrong? If so, then abortion is also wrong.
The morning after pill is a form of abortion, because at that point conception has already taken place, and a life has formed. 
Do you cry every time you step on an ant? Do you really think the morning after pill is worse than the pork you eat? You have to give a better argument than that.

You’re just using the threat of the government as to why they should be wrong.
You started the argument on why the government should intervene, not why abortion is wrong. 

Making abortion illegal and unsafe is a threat to the mothers life regardless.
Be honest, you don’t care about women and young girls.

You would be focused on preventing these circumstances in the first place if you were genuine. 
Maybe focusing on better healthcare and/or looking at expenses of raising children.
Don’t you want a healthy nuclear family?
The only reason I am arguing government intervention, is because that is the only thing that you were trying to argue. You never once brought up or asked why abortion itself is wrong. 

You haven’t given a reason the government should intervene up until now. You’ve just been saying abortion is bad because the government should come for them. I’m not trying to strawman. Just because something is illegal doesn’t make it automatically and ethically wrong. 
amandragon01
Debates: 0
amandragon01
-->
@YouFound_Lxam
Yeah, like alcohol prohibition back in the 20s. Lol
Your comparing alcohol to abortion??

The point is valid. Making something illegal doesn't necessarily decrease instances of it. Prohibition is a solid example of that.
amandragon01
amandragon01
Well, as long as murder is morally wrong the abortion is as well.
I find this to be very dependant on what we deem alive. At what point do we determine a fetus is alive? Or are talking of the mere potential for life being equal to life?
YouFound_Lxam
YouFound_Lxam
-->
@Reece101
Do you cry every time you step on an ant? Do you really think the morning after pill is worse than the pork you eat? You have to give a better argument than that.
Sorry let me rephrase. The morning after pill is a form of abortion, because at that point conception has already taken place, and a human life has formed. 

You’ve just been saying abortion is bad because the government should come for them.
Elaborate this sentence right here. I don't know if you just typoed this or whatever, but it makes no logical sense. 

Just because something is illegal doesn’t make it automatically and ethically wrong.
Yes, but so goes the same with legal things as well. There is a reason we make things illegal. With that logic, you could argue that everything should be legalized. 
YouFound_Lxam
YouFound_Lxam
-->
@amandragon01
The point is valid. Making something illegal doesn't necessarily decrease instances of it. Prohibition is a solid example of that.
Yes, in some instances yes, but in others it does. How would you be able to prove abortion would be one of those instances where it doesn't decrease?

I find this to be very dependant on what we deem alive. At what point do we determine a fetus is alive? Or are talking of the mere potential for life being equal to life?
The child is alive at conception. That is where life biologically starts. The zygote is a human, whether you believe it to be or not. Saying that zygotes and fetuses aren't actually human beings, is like saying that tomato seeds won't aren't tomatoes. Tomato seeds are tomatoes, just a smaller and less edible version of one. 
Reece101
Reece101
Sorry let me rephrase. The morning after pill is a form of abortion, because at that point conception has already taken place, and a human life has formed. 
How do you distinguish between an inherent value of a human life and the value you impose on it? And why are you for abortion being illegal except for cases where it is a threat to the mothers life? She chose to have sex, right? Assuming she didn’t get raped. 

You’ve just been saying abortion is bad because the government should come for them.
Elaborate this sentence right here. I don't know if you just typoed this or whatever, but it makes no logical sense. 
That’s how I’ve viewed your argument. And I know it makes no logical sense. 

Just because something is illegal doesn’t make it automatically and ethically wrong.
Yes, but so goes the same with legal things as well. There is a reason we make things illegal. With that logic, you could argue that everything should be legalized. 
Yeah, so let’s leave the idea that illegal = bad and legal = good. 
YouFound_Lxam
YouFound_Lxam
-->
@Reece101
How do you distinguish between an inherent value of a human life and the value you impose on it? And why are you for abortion being illegal except for cases where it is a threat to the mothers life? She chose to have sex, right? Assuming she didn’t get raped. 
 All human life is of value, correct? So why should we be able to kill babies in the womb, and not normal humans? What's the difference? 

As for the exception, when the mother's life is at risk, there is an exception because the mother could die as well. When you deny someone's right to live, then it becomes a problem. If you deny a mother who will die an abortion, that is what makes it wrong. So that is why that is an exception. 

So, your way of thinking and viewing things makes no logical sense?

No, let's leave the idea that morally wrong = bad and morally good = good. 

Reece101
Reece101
-->
@YouFound_Lxam
 All human life is of value, correct? So why should we be able to kill babies in the womb, and not normal humans? What's the difference? 
The value of human life is circumstantial. It will always be that way. The extent in which we look at the circumstances will keep changing though. 
Also, does it really matter thinking that the guy who’s about to attack your family has value just before you blow his head off?

As for the exception, when the mother's life is at risk, there is an exception because the mother could die as well. When you deny someone's right to live, then it becomes a problem. If you deny a mother who will die an abortion, that is what makes it wrong. So that is why that is an exception. 
There are plenty of situations where the baby can survive but the mother dies. You would still allow abortion in that case even though the mother chose to have sex (assuming she wasn’t raped)? You would be denying the babies right to live. Why would the mothers life be worth more than the babies in this situation?

So, your way of thinking and viewing things makes no logical sense?
I was showing you how incoherent your view on abortion is.

No, let's leave the idea that morally wrong = bad and morally good = good. 
So you are equating morality and legality?
Alright, abortion is automatically good then because it’s legal. 
amandragon01
amandragon01
-->
@YouFound_Lxam
Yes, in some instances yes, but in others it does. How would you be able to prove abortion would be one of those instances where it doesn't decrease?
I'm under no obligation to do so. You made the statement.

Yes it would decrease the abortion rate. It's common knowledge that when you make something illegal, the instances of that thing happening goes down. 
This was your assertion. The mention to Prohibition directly contradicts this. If you wish to assert that making abortions illegal would lower the abortion rate then you're welcome to prove that assertion. I'm not convinced and I outright disagree with your claim that making something illegal makes instances of that thing go down.

The child is alive at conception. That is where life biologically starts. The zygote is a human, whether you believe it to be or not. Saying that zygotes and fetuses aren't actually human beings, is like saying that tomato seeds won't aren't tomatoes. Tomato seeds are tomatoes, just a smaller and less edible version of one. 
Got any way of supporting this with facts and evidence? Or is it simply your opinion?
YouFound_Lxam
YouFound_Lxam
-->
@Reece101
There are plenty of situations where the baby can survive but the mother dies. You would still allow abortion in that case even though the mother chose to have sex (assuming she wasn’t raped)? You would be denying the babies right to live. Why would the mothers life be worth more than the babies in this situation?
No, in these types of cases, it would be the mother's choice on what happens because it is her life, and her baby's life. 

The value of human life is circumstantial. It will always be that way. The extent in which we look at the circumstances will keep changing though. 
Also, does it really matter thinking that the guy who’s about to attack your family has value just before you blow his head off?
A human life that has not even been given a chance, is not a circumstantial thing. 
As for your second point, difference is, even if I did nothing, someone would die. A baby in the womb isn't attacking anyone. 

Everyone else seems to understand but you. 
Never said I was equating morality and legality. I was simply saying, how about we say things are bad, because they are morally bad, and vice versa. 
YouFound_Lxam
YouFound_Lxam
-->
@amandragon01
I'm under no obligation to do so. You made the statement.
........you made the statement. "Making something illegal doesn't necessarily decrease instances of it."

This was your assertion. The mention to Prohibition directly contradicts this. If you wish to assert that making abortions illegal would lower the abortion rate then you're welcome to prove that assertion. I'm not convinced and I outright disagree with your claim that making something illegal makes instances of that thing go down.
If making things illegal doesn't make instances of that thing go down, then what's the point of having illegal things? Should we just let murder be legal, because after all, it won't make any difference, right?

As for your evidence you asked for:

California, and Texas both have similar populations, yet abortion rates are higher in California, than in Texas. Why? Because abortion is illegal in Texas, and legal in California. 

Got any way of supporting this with facts and evidence? Or is it simply your opinion?
"Human development begins after the union of male and female gametes or germ cells during a process known as fertilization (conception).
"Fertilization is a sequence of events that begins with the contact of a sperm (spermatozoon) with a secondary oocyte (ovum) and ends with the fusion of their pronuclei (the haploid nuclei of the sperm and ovum) and the mingling of their chromosomes to form a new cell. This fertilized ovum, known as a zygote, is a large diploid cell that is the beginning, or primordium, of a human being."

There you go. 
amandragon01
amandragon01
-->
@YouFound_Lxam
you made the statement. "Making something illegal doesn't necessarily decrease instances of it."

Which is supported by drinking during Prohibition. I have never claimed that I know abortions wouldn't go down if they were made illegal, only that it isn't necessarily true that making something illegal will stop people from doing it.

If making things illegal doesn't make instances of that thing go down, then what's the point of having illegal things? Should we just let murder be legal, because after all, it won't make any difference, right?
You make things illegal to try and prevent people doing them. It doesn't always work. Prohibition is evidence of this.

As for your evidence you asked for:

California, and Texas both have similar populations, yet abortion rates are higher in California, than in Texas. Why? Because abortion is illegal in Texas, and legal in California. 
And how accurate were these numbers in regards to illegal abortions in Texas? How many abortions happen that never get added to the published tallies?

"Human development begins after the union of male and female gametes or germ cells during a process known as fertilization (conception).
"Fertilization is a sequence of events that begins with the contact of a sperm (spermatozoon) with a secondary oocyte (ovum) and ends with the fusion of their pronuclei (the haploid nuclei of the sperm and ovum) and the mingling of their chromosomes to form a new cell. This fertilized ovum, known as a zygote, is a large diploid cell that is the beginning, or primordium, of a human being."

There you go. 
I asked about life rather than if it was a human being. To elaborate on the position. When is the embryo alive and more pressingly when does personhood start?
TWS1405_2
Debates: 4
TWS1405_2
-->
@amandragon01
When is the embryo alive and

Cellular life begins at conception...

more pressingly when does personhood start?

When the viable fetus is birthed. 
YouFound_Lxam
YouFound_Lxam
-->
@amandragon01
You make things illegal to try and prevent people doing them. It doesn't always work. Prohibition is evidence of this.
Ok, go ahead and give me another example. It works 95% of the time, so it is a useful tool to use. To assume that abortion is one of those instances without any evidence backing that up, is a bad argument. 
And how accurate were these numbers in regards to illegal abortions in Texas? How many abortions happen that never get added to the published tallies?
Those abortions' were illegal abortions, because abolition in Texas is illegal, thus making any abortions' that take place in Texas illegal.
I asked about life rather than if it was a human being. To elaborate on the position. When is the embryo alive and more pressingly when does personhood start?
It is a human being, and alive at conception. Human life biologically starts at conception, which pertains personhood as well. Have you ever met a person, that some consider doesn't have person hood. No human on earth, has ever been considered without personhood. Reverse question, how do you tell if something does not have contain personhood?
YouFound_Lxam
YouFound_Lxam
-->
@TWS1405_2
When the viable fetus is birthed. 
False statement. Personhood is defined as ones ability to survive on there own? With this type of thinking, any human being that is not viable in any sort of way, could be considered without personhood. 
Reece101
Reece101
-->
@YouFound_Lxam
No, in these types of cases, it would be the mother's choice on what happens because it is her life, and her baby's life. 
Even if she new the risks of having sex?

A human life that has not even been given a chance, is not a circumstantial thing. 
As for your second point, difference is, even if I did nothing, someone would die. A baby in the womb isn't attacking anyone. 
It is circumstantial. You just said it would be the mothers choice to murder a baby.

Everyone else seems to understand but you. 
Are you sure about that? Exhibit A is up above.

Never said I was equating morality and legality. I was simply saying, how about we say things are bad, because they are morally bad, and vice versa. 
Or maybe think a little bit deeper.
YouFound_Lxam
YouFound_Lxam
-->
@Reece101
Yes, because she would have the choice between her life, and another life. It's not the same as killing a human baby just because you don't want it. It's a hard decision, but life always has hard decisions. 

It is circumstantial. You just said it would be the mothers choice to murder a baby.
It would be the mother's choice, when her life is at risk, not just for convenience. 

Reece101
Reece101
-->
@YouFound_Lxam
Yes, because she would have the choice between her life, and another life. It's not the same as killing a human baby just because you don't want it. It's a hard decision, but life always has hard decisions. 
She chose to have sex though. She should be willing to die to birth a baby. 

It would be the mother's choice, when her life is at risk, not just for convenience. 
You’re the one that’s arguing for convenience.
YouFound_Lxam
YouFound_Lxam
-->
@Reece101
She chose to have sex though. She should be willing to die to birth a baby. 
No, she shouldn't. Part of having a child isn't dying, right? So, she should be able to make that decision, if it comes to that. Something that is not part of having a child, is just killing it for convenience. That isn't something that someone should decide. 

You’re the one that’s arguing for convenience.
How so?