What are you doing to prepare for an actual disaster, if not WWIII?

Author: TWS1405_2

Total: 45
hey-yo
Debates: 24
hey-yo
Everyone talks about stocking up and having things when these conversations come up.  Rare to speak on actions like going for hikes or camping. Learning how to hunt, fish, sail, etc. 

Lets not forget about what clothes to wear and how to deter the elements. 

If somethinf were to happen, what is one thing you must have? Question open to all
hey-yo
hey-yo
-->
@philochristos
I assume it runs on gas.    ....

Seriously though. How do you like its operating capabilities? Do you like it, used it?
philochristos
Debates: 0
philochristos
-->
@hey-yo
So far so good. I ran my refrigerator on it for 24 hours and had 11% capacity left. And I've charged it with my solar panels just to see how well it works. You can also plug your cell phone or computer directly into the solar panels and charge them that way. 
hey-yo
hey-yo
-->
@philochristos
I heard you can have the fridge off for x hours until the food goes bad. Gotta look into how long that is, and you can stretch that generator use out a little if power is out for more than 24. 

Could you have the generator juicing an appliance like fridge and collect enwrgy from solar panels at same time?
philochristos
philochristos
-->
@hey-yo
The solar panels probably won't charge fast enough to keep up with the consumption from the refrigerator, but I don't know. Most power outages happen in the winter, and that's when you get the least sun, so that's when the solar panels are the least effective. But if it's cold enough, you can put your food outside in the snow. I did that one year for four days and was able to keep everything. You can get an extra battery to connect to the solar generator and double its life. I may do that at some point.
Best.Korea
Debates: 266
Best.Korea
-->
@hey-yo
If somethinf were to happen, what is one thing you must have? Question open to all
A shovel and a knife are two things you should have for survival. Fishing gear is also nice to have if you like fishing.

Shovel is used to dig up plants to get their roots if they are edible. Edible roots are your food.
Shovel is also used to make shelter. The easiest way to build shelter is to dig a hole in the ground like fox does.

Knife is essential for cutting up food into small pieces so you can consume it.

So I would bring multiple knives and multiple shovels. I am not sure if I would bring fishing gear since I hate the taste of fish.

If I would have to choose just one thing, it would be a good quality knife. Shovel can be replaced by digging stick found in nature. However, knife is really hard to replace. Using sharp rock instead of a knife is no good.
Digging stick is not as good as a shovel, so that also would be a problem if I had to choose just one thing: shovel or knife.
PREZ-HILTON
Debates: 18
PREZ-HILTON
There mere fact I am a gangsta is preparation enough. 
FLRW
FLRW
-->
@PREZ-HILTON

“Some day, and that day may never come, I will call upon you to do a service for me.”
PREZ-HILTON
Debates: 18
PREZ-HILTON
-->
@FLRW
No problem
RationalMadman
Debates: 564
RationalMadman
I have educated myself nearly fully in the art of war, game theory, survivalist nuances and such. I don't know every plant I can eat and all that jazz but I have a good amount of knowledge of basic hygiene (I don't just mean cleaning yourself I mean how to hygienically prepare food in the wild as well as things like how to clean oneself in the wild without any soap, cream or lotions accessible instead using mud and all sorts) and the foods I am intolerant to as well that most are not intolerant to. I have to admit my fitness would probably hold me back but that could be practised into, I am decent in flexibility and agility but if I had to run endlessly or fight to the death with multiple people again and again, I am probably not gonna last. I'd begin as a coward and then train day by day to develop the necessary muscles and such to be a good fighter. I have very good aim though, based on a combination of irl and gaming things I do (like if I throw something in the bin and others aren't looking I train very slightly to habitually throw it in at a slight distance to the point I don't realise I'm doing it, my aim is impeccable vs a normal human). So, I could probably throw stones, knives etc decently well compared to most.

I probably, due to what I've learned and refined myself in way beyond anything professional education-wise, am more adept to survive itself than over 92% of the population of most developed nations today (the percentage is lower for people in less developed nation as they have a higher proportion that live day to day and in a survivalist mindset already). As long as I avoid heavy fighting and severe fitness-demanding areas at first and train slowly for them much more than I do now, I'd be extremely adept. I am very deceptively charming and 'weak' on a first glance. People don't realise how strong my legs and kicks are and they don't predict me to throw or carry as well as I do. I just have to properly dedicate to physical fitness and I'll be very good in such scenarios. Right now that same energy is going into other things like coding, gaming and such. I do keep up with basic fitness but it's precisely basic intentionally, not just out of 'laziness', there's so much wasted energy and time if I'm maintaining hardcore muscles all over just to pull in a woman or feel sexy, that's a waste. I'd only dedicate to a truly optimal physical body when needed, I am a slimmer guy anyway, so I literally can be 'healthy' just by trying to avoid to be too slim unlike most. I mainly have to watch out for anaemia and such.
RationalMadman
Debates: 564
RationalMadman
I would naturally look out for traps and a lot of things most humans in well-developed nations have let themselves lose the animalistic instinct to check for. We have the best brains of any species but few of us use them that way anymore. I'd be very hard to trick or bait, thinking first as prey and only secondarily as predator.
Melcharaz
Debates: 6
Melcharaz
getting right with God because Jesus is coming soon. eternity is more important than this life.
Mharman
Debates: 22
Mharman
A generator is good for a lot of disasters. Blizzards, severe storms, possibly earthquakes. Guns are a good thing to have if the disaster involves anarchy/lawlessness. 

But if the nukes are dropped, I'm just gonna pray. Not that I live, but that God's will be done, whatever it is.

26 days later

TWS1405_2
Debates: 4
TWS1405_2
China has been infiltrating the United States since 1978

China buys farmland, donates and infiltrates American universities, and have been sending thousands upon thousands of Chinese citizens to the Mexican border to enter the US illegally by 900%!!!!! 

China US invading the US. China and Russia will eventually drop an EMP over the US and then invade. 
It is not a question of if, but when. And every liberal can thank the BIden Crime Family Syndicate with the CCP. 
TWS1405_2
Debates: 4
TWS1405_2