Guns don't kill people, people kill people

Author: Double_R

Total: 312
Double_R
Debates: 3
Double_R
-->
@PREZ-HILTON
Equalizer... As in everybody gets to be just as dangerous, which will make everyone safer.
Seeing as how most criminals are youngales who can easily defeat everyone not in that demographic in physical combat, why not make people harder to victimize?
Because the world is not as simple as you like to portray.

This is a very common notion pushed by gun advocates - there are bad people (aka criminals) and there's everyone else (the good people). The bad people will always have guns because they don't follow laws, and the good people will always be disarmed. Thus, gun laws means the bad people win.

Few problems here.

If we accepted the idea that criminals are going to be criminals as a reason to do nothing, we wouldn't have laws. Only when it comes to guns would we ever push this idea with a straight face.

Also, the notion that we can just put everyone into these neat little boxes of a good guy or a bad guy is just childish. Real life is not a cartoon. Everyone is the good guy from their own point of view, so who decides that?

Third, basic human nature. When someone feels threatened and they have a weapon on them they are far more likely to use it in "self defense" regardless of whether they were in actual danger. Need proof of this? Look at all of the police killings of unarmed suspects, and then remind yourself that these are the trained professionals among us. But you seem to think putting everyone, not just cops, in the same predicament is going to make us all safer. That defies basic logic.
PREZ-HILTON
Debates: 18
PREZ-HILTON
-->
@Double_R
Also, the notion that we can just put everyone into these neat little boxes of a good guy or a bad guy is just childish. Real life is not a cartoon. Everyone is the good guy from their own point of view, so who decides that?

I don't think it matters whether the guy who rapes your defenseless mother is a good guy or bad guy, it would be preferable if it didn't happen right? Or if it was about to happen, if she could find a way to stop it.

When someone feels threatened and they have a weapon on them they are far more likely to use it in "self defense" regardless of whether they were in actual danger
Also when people are actual threats they will be shot also. Sure some unarmed people who mean you harmed may get killed also, far more than are killed by gun accidents BTW, but I think the pros of your mother being able to avoid rape by somebody physically stronger than her which is every male on the planet who isn't in a wheel chair outweigh the cons of a few accidents. We do the same cost benefit analysis with allowing people to drive as well so don't twist the logic into being cruel
Sidewalker
Debates: 6
Sidewalker
-->
@Athias
Oh pulease, do gun people actually think about what they say or is it all just the NRA's Pavlovian trained dog replies?.
First, I'm not a member of the NRA.
You don't have to be, they wrote the scripts for your conditioned responses.

Second, are you likening me to a dog?
I’m likening your conditioned responsesto the conditioned responses of Ivan Pavlov’s dogs, so yeah, indirectly, I suppose I am.

A firearm is a single purpose tool,
No it isn't.

and that tool is designed to do one and only one thing, kill,
It's actually designed to discharge projectiles known as bullets.
Oh please, that’s another lame anddishonest intellectual dodge and you know it.  Guns don’t kill people, bullets kill people, is a ridiculous point at best LOL

Whether these bullet cause fatal injury is primarily dependent on the actions of the user.
 Oh yeah, this is where the "responsible gun ownership" mantra kicks in, you guys have been chanting that for decades. Just take a look at the numbers, you guys suck ass at being responsible gun owners.

calling it the "ordinary civilian use of firearms" is a lame intellectual dodge of the issue, nothing but a distraction. 
So, is it your position that ALL USE of firearms is CRIMINAL USE? If so, explain.
No, but in the vast majority of thetime, it is illegal to shoot someone, there are very rare circumstances inwhich it is justified, but saying I get to kill someone if they are trying tokill me is very much an out of the ordinary situation.

Do you seriously believe it shouldn't matter how such a tool is used?
Yes. I could kill you with a hammer; a knife; a pen; box cutter; a bat; even a pillow. If capacity to be used in fatal injury must dictate access, then why not ban the aforementioned?
Oh boy, how profound, I’ve never heardthat one before LOL.  But hey, I noticedthat nuclear weapons aren’t on your list, is it your position that we shouldn’trestrict access to nukes? 

If we have 37,000 pillow deaths this year I can assure you we will take action.
Generally speaking, it is unlawful to kill people,
Why does that not dictate accountability as opposed to holding everyone accountable, lawful use or not?
Generally speaking it is unlawful tokill people, and generally speaking, what a gun is designed to do is killpeople, you really can’t connect the dots?  Why shouldn’t “accountability” be enough to make nuclear weaponsavailable at Home Depot?

and that's the only thing a firearm does
That's not the only thing.

you really can't connect the dots as to why the vast number of illegal deaths merits consideration? 
Why does the "vast number" of illegal deaths warrant penalizing LAWFUL USE? You're not answering my question: why does ordinary civilian use of firearms MERIT PENALTY AS A CONSEQUENCE OF THE CRIMINAL USE OF FIREARMS?
I’m answering the question, you just refuseto listen.   We regulate the living hellout of dangerous products, a handful of deaths can get most products banned, weare talking about a product that last year killed 250,000 people globally, 37,000in the US, and you guys seriously want to argue that as far as regulation isconcerned, a gun should be seen as equal to a fucking pillow, its that kind of knee jerknonsense replies that are Pavlovian, that argument has about the sameintellectual content as drooling does. 

I'm thinking that trumps  the rights of the hobbyist who loses his right to target practice, or hunt,
Oh? So there is another purpose when using firearms?
Yes, they can also make otherwise rational intelligent people start incoherently blathering inane nonsense.

or whatever legal use that the gun culture is saying is worth so many thousands of lives. 
And these hobbyists are setting out in droves killing thousands of people?
Go back and read my sentence again,slowly for comprehension this time, guns are killing thousands of people, andgun people seem to think that is an acceptable price to pay to protect yourtarget shooting hobby, try to pay attention.

Care to explain how you've reached this conclusion (some empirical data would be nice, as well.)
Empiricaldata?  Are you actually debating gun controlwhile pretending to be unaware that what the entire conversation is about is gundeaths?  Try this, Google gun deaths and lookat any of the twelve million web sites that can enlighten you as to what thegun control is about.  I wish you guys could see how utterlymindless the Pavlovian argument looks, the rest of us see it as gun peopledrooling when they hear a bell rung.

The fact is, the  real "ordinary civilian use of firearms", the reason people buy them,  is they want to have the ability to kill someone,
And I presume you've spoken to every individual who has purchased a firearm about their intentions with owning, possessing, and operating said firearm? I have firearms. Do I want to kill? And keep in mind, you know better than I do what I want.
I know what guns are for, the people that buy them know what guns are for, and that’s why they buy them. 

Are you saying that people who buy guns don’t know they are for, or just that they don’t know why they buy them? 

When you hear that bell I think you are supposed to say we buy the gun to let people know we could kill them if we want to, so don’t make me want to. 

In short, it’s a penis extension, it makes you feel manly?

Please wipe the drool off your chin, it’s unsightly. 

PREZ-HILTON
PREZ-HILTON
-->
@Sidewalker
I’m answering the question, you just refuseto listen. We regulate the living hellout of dangerous products, a handful of deaths can get most products banned, weare talking about a product that last year killed 250,000 people globally, 37,000in the US, and you guys seriously want to argue that as far as regulation isconcerned, a gun should be seen as equal to a fucking pillow, its that kind of knee jerknonsense replies that are Pavlovian, that argument has about the sameintellectual content as drooling does. 
Everyone In This thread is for some gun regulations nice strawman though. 

Sidewalker
Sidewalker
-->
@PREZ-HILTON
I’m answering the question, you just refuseto listen. We regulate the living hellout of dangerous products, a handful of deaths can get most products banned, weare talking about a product that last year killed 250,000 people globally, 37,000in the US, and you guys seriously want to argue that as far as regulation isconcerned, a gun should be seen as equal to a fucking pillow, its that kind of knee jerknonsense replies that are Pavlovian, that argument has about the sameintellectual content as drooling does. 
I'm still waiting for someone to tell me why they need a semiautomatic weapon with a large magazine. besides saying "Freedom, Mom, and Apple Pie", you got an answer>
PREZ-HILTON
PREZ-HILTON
-->
@Sidewalker
Because there needs to be a better reason to ban it than the fact stupid people think the word semi-automatic means machine gun or some other stupid shit
Sidewalker
Sidewalker
-->
@PREZ-HILTON
Because there needs to be a better reason to ban it than the fact stupid people think the word semi-automatic means machine gun or some other stupid shit
Drool.

Since you won't admit it, I'll tell you, it's fear, the more afraid you are, the bigger the gun you need to feel like a man. 

It's a penis extension, you buy an AR-15 to make your penis bigger.
coal
coal
-->
@Double_R
Question: Was that child who was shot to death killed by a gun or killed by another child?
Answer: That child who was shot to death was killed by another child.  

Shall we ban all cars, because some children happen to walk behind their soccer mom's minivans and get ran over?  I think not.  

Your "protect the children!" outcry is as incoherent as it is nonsensical.  

coal
coal
I have always wondered what stupid people think about guns.

Then I read DoubleR's opinions on them.

I wonder no more, as now I know. 
Athias
Debates: 20
Athias
-->
@sadolite
It is not a "right" if it's subject to exogenous limitations. When the right was established there were no exogenous limitations attached to it. It was only later that people with no regard for the constitution or peoples rights were they added. There were no restrictions on owning a firearm. It "WAS" a right that was taken away.
It's funny: regulations and prohibitions have only increased over the years, yet exposure and prominence of these mass-shootings have also increased. So you know... rotten... Denmark... and all that.
Greyparrot
Debates: 4
Greyparrot
-->
@Athias
Maybe that's because bans never worked ever on anything. if people really want something and have the means to get it, they will. I'm sure Soros has a few nukes tucked away just in case.
Athias
Athias
-->
@Sidewalker
You don't have to be, they wrote the scripts for your conditioned responses.
By whom or what was I conditioned? I've never paid much attention to the NRA, so how'd they get to me?

I’m likening your conditioned responsesto the conditioned responses of Ivan Pavlov’s dogs,'
Dogs are opposed to gun-control? Who knew?

so yeah, indirectly, I suppose I am.
Well at least you've owned it. But this is where my participation in an exchange with you ends. I'm not interested in trading insults, so find another outlet. Enjoy your night, sir.

Athias
Athias
-->
@Greyparrot
Maybe that's because bans never worked ever on anything. if people really want something and have the means to get it, they will. I'm sure Soros has a few nukes tucked away just in case.
Because the basis for "public opinion" as it concerns imposing these bans are never really logical, much less practical. They're almost always based on volatile emotions. In this case, hoplophobia.
Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@Athias
So much for learning why 46 states had to ratify the 21st amendment to the Constitution. ...............................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................
PREZ-HILTON
PREZ-HILTON
-->
@Sidewalker
Since you won't admit it, I'll tell you, it's fear, the more afraid you are, the bigger the gun you need to feel like a man. 
Is your obsession with that particular style, because you know it is more likely to be bought by African Americans?
PREZ-HILTON
PREZ-HILTON
I actually know what it really is. Liberals think the letters AR in AR-15 stand for assault rifle.
Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@PREZ-HILTON
AR stands for African Rebellion.
PREZ-HILTON
PREZ-HILTON
-->
@Greyparrot
The AR-15 looks scary. It is a less effective weapon than many of the hand guns used in crimes, but it looks scary so let's ban it. 
Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@PREZ-HILTON
So much for deterrence.

And yeah, a criminal that can get any gun they want including ar-15s still prefers the glock.
TWS1405_2
TWS1405_2
-->
@Sidewalker
Whether these bullet cause fatal injury is primarily dependent on the actions of the user.
 Oh yeah, this is where the "responsible gun ownership" mantra kicks in, you guys have been chanting that for decades. Just take a look at the numbers, you guys suck ass at being responsible gun owners.

Those numbers are going to need some citations. Because the CDC was coerced into removing ALL the positive data on hood guys with guns taking out the bad buys by a leftist group in order to make it easier for them to lobby gun control laws. 
TWS1405_2
TWS1405_2
-->
@coal
I have always wondered what stupid people think about guns.

Then I read DoubleR's opinions on them.

I wonder no more, as now I know. 

Right? 
b9_ntt
Debates: 2
b9_ntt
-->
@Athias
Everyone has the right to bear "arms."
It is not a "right" if it's subject to exogenous limitations. That of which you speak is merely a "privilege" extended by government.
No one’s rights are absolute. In a large, complex society, there will be conflicts. That must be adjudicated somehow.

Does everyone have a right bear any weapon whatsoever? If the answer is no, then you have to decide where to draw the line between arms which are permitted and those which are not permitted.
There should be no line drawn. That's the point. The weapon is merely an inanimate object that is used by someone.
Well, then you are an extremist, and unfit for the society we live in.
People already own and possess nuclear weapons and tanks. Some of them are referred to as members of government.
That’s a straw man.

b9_ntt
Debates: 2
b9_ntt
-->
@PREZ-HILTON
Athias sounds like they are for no regulations at all.

Athias
Athias
-->
@b9_ntt
No one’s rights are absolute.
Rights are fundamental and inalienable irrespective of public referendum. You either acknowledge that, or presume to undermine it.

In a large, complex society, there will be conflicts.
There are conflicts among individuals. Conflict is imminent.

That must be adjudicated somehow.
Rights PRECEDE adjudications, NOT SUCCEED them.

Well, then you are an extremist, and unfit for the society we live in.
And yet, I'm here.

That’s a straw man.
No, it's not. If you intend to create a substantial distinction between civilian and government use, I'd like to read it.

Sidewalker
Sidewalker
-->
@Greyparrot
Yeah, he keeps them with the space lasers he uses to start the forect fires in California.
Sidewalker
Sidewalker
-->
@TWS1405_2

Those numbers are going to need some citations. Because the CDC was coerced into removing ALL the positive data on hood guys with guns taking out the bad buys by a leftist group in order to make it easier for them to lobby gun control laws. 
Oh look, it's the right winged whack job conspiracy theorist in his native habitat, the internet.
TWS1405_2
TWS1405_2
-->
@Sidewalker
Again, why are you here at DART? 
You’re not contributing a damn thing. 
Troll. 
Intelligence_06
Debates: 167
Intelligence_06
-->
@TWS1405_2
You are?

Well, the boosting of forum counts, that I can think of.
ebuc
Debates: 0
ebuc
-->
@TWS1405_2
Again, why are you here at DART?  Troll. 
To remind you that guns make it easy to kill people at A} close distance away

B} a medium distance away,

C} a further or far distance away.

Thats how easy, killing with a gun can be, as easy as 123, ABC, killing with a gun, easy as can be. Alternatively, there is Molotov cocktails for those who cant afford a gun.

..." A member of the pro-Nazi group White Lives Matter of Ohio was arrested Friday after he allegedly threw molotov cocktails at a church planning to hold a drag event."....

..." When his home was searched, investigators found Nazi paraphernalia including swastika flags, a While Lives Matter of Ohio shirt and materials like those used to create the Molotov cocktails."...

.." Neo-Nazi Arrested for Firebombing Church Hosting Drag Queen Story Hour"....

TWS1405_2
TWS1405_2
-->
@Intelligence_06
Yeah, I am. 

Difference is, I try to engage in intelligent discussion with others but the others (minus a few members) lack the requisite intelligence to engage in said discussion. 

So when you clowns come out the gate with ad homs, you reap what you sow. Tit for tat.